Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: Hollywood Round #4

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Yes I hate Avalon's ugly ill-fitting sweaters. Being a tomboy is fine, she doesn't have to wear dresses or heels if she doesn't want to, but there's a way to dress tomboy and still be stylish. The ugly sweaters need to desperately go but I have the feeling she will hold onto them like P2 with his gray shirts. Avalon gives me MK vibes and I kind of think she might only go as far as MK did, bowing out around top 10 somewhere.

I don't like the ego she attaches to the situation. I've seen this before--where someone exerts their ego to look bad to show themselves as a rebel. 

And I do think it's definitely something of a crock, because her on-stage outfit in front of that crowd was bordering (admittedly barely) on attractive--at least in a kind of hipster/pseudo-new-age-beatnik way (and she was wearing makeup during her stage performance). I liked her performance, but in terms of her stated intentions about totally not caring how she looks, I think she could be a bit fat phony. I mean unless she literally had to be talked into going on stage wearing something other than no makeup and an ugly sweater by the producers, and the episode editing just didn't have time to tell us that.

I think she is just a girl who prefers a more androgynous look for whatever reason (but I'm thinking it's probably sexual orientation related), and good for her for dressing how she wants.  And the producers are probably making her play it up, to set herself apart as "the one who ___", to be more memorable and more discuss-able around the water cooler.  I think it's sad that reality tv does this shit but it is what it is.  If we had 24 Jenna Renaes (someone whom I could not tell you one thing about), it'd be pretty dull.  

I respect Avalon's choices more than Stephanie and her 5" stilettos she can't walk in and the Wonder Woman on Ice outfit she auditioned in.  I guess it's a bit of the Crystal/Phillip "you're not making me over" attitude.  

At least it's not Master Chef Junior level of contestant branding.  Though some of these people are close!  

I quit AI after season 9 and I wasn't going to come back but then I thought it's the last season and I have some free time in my tv schedule so I started DVRing and fast forwarding through the auditions. But then fucking Dalton happened and now I'm actually invested in this shit again. DAMMIT!

• Love 3

I think the attraction to Dalton is his candidness. He seems to also have some humility as well and doesn't seen to be all that.

He really struck a chord with me when he was talking about Hollywood week. I said earlier he probably thought he knew what it was like and prepared for it and in the end it still threw him through a loop. I bet he's done a lot of research so in a way I think he knows what he's in for.

As for Trent I just hope he's had enough time to recover from Mono.

• Love 3

The eyes, the hair, the smile... :)

Yeah poor Trent. Couldn't be a worse time to come down with mono. And I've read in some cases people can have it for literally months. And if he's not getting sufficient rest because he has to do these performances, interviews, etc. it's only going to delay his recovery process. :/ I hope by the time the live shows come around he's recovered.

Edited by BogoGog24

I think the attraction to Dalton is his candidness. He seems to also have some humility as well and doesn't seen to be all that.

He really struck a chord with me when he was talking about Hollywood week. I said earlier he probably thought he knew what it was like and prepared for it and in the end it still threw him through a loop. I bet he's done a lot of research so in a way I think he knows what he's in for.

As for Trent I just hope he's had enough time to recover from Mono.

I think with Dalton (from the 3 minute glimpse I had at his twitter, ha) it is that he is clearly a sensitive, and probably also as self-deprecating as he was in his little talking heads.  I mean particularly sensitive, even as far as creatives go, I know few 20 y.o. males whose profile quotes would be Emily Dickinson.

Re:  Trent, though I feel for him, don't they (mercifully) get like months though?  I feel like someone once said there are minimum 3 months between "Hollywood Week" and season start, unless that's changed, and could be as high as 6-9.  Assuming because not only do the contestants need to clear their schedules (some may have more enduring jobs they wish to keep), but even the judges.

• Love 1

Yeah, the actual Hollywood week was last Nov.  WebMD says "Signs and symptoms such as a fever and sore throat usually lessen within a couple of weeks, but fatigue, enlarged lymph nodes and a swollen spleen may last for a few weeks longer."  So I imagine Trent's fine.  

Yeah, the actual Hollywood week was last Nov.  WebMD says "Signs and symptoms such as a fever and sore throat usually lessen within a couple of weeks, but fatigue, enlarged lymph nodes and a swollen spleen may last for a few weeks longer."  So I imagine Trent's fine.

Mono's long term symptoms can last for months. That said... he had months.

So, I've finally been able to watch the whole Chairs episode. And here is my takeaway.

While there are several Top 24 members that I DO NOT LIKE, I will grudgingly concede that with only one exception they have degrees of either tremendous talent, pipes, or that ineffable "something" that TPTB like to put through. For me, the lone glaring exception is Jordan Sasser who I don't get at all. I'm close to feeling that way about Shelbie Z as well. But the rest that I kinda loathe (Gianna Isabella, e.g.), I can't deny the pipes.

I know they want to front-load this group with such formidable women that they HAVE to have a woman winner, and I think there are a few great candidates (I do love La'Porsha and I STILL love Tristan, despite their forcing her down our throats, but I don't see her having the staying power -- vocally or emotionally -- to see this through to the end game). 

That said? Here's my prediction:

IF the judges allow MacKenzie Bourg to get through to the voting rounds, our Last! American! Idol! will be not just another WGWG but the BEST WGWG to ever grace the Idol stage. In real life, I happen to love WGWGs IF THEY'RE GREAT, and as a result I have NEVER liked the WGWGs that have won Idol. But this guy? I think he's amazing.

I will also add that watching the entire Chairs episode won me over a little bit to Dalton. I really didn't "get it" at all before this, but he's quite endearing, has a great voice, etc. I think he is also a potential meltdown candidate. But while I was originally "take your Billie Joe Armstrong and go home" about him, I don't mind his sticking around a while longer. 

But I do think MacKenzie Bourg is the one guy who could stand in the way of their Kelly Clarkson bookend, and it will be interesting to see next week if they know that and quality-control the crap out of things to keep him out of the mix.

Trent? He just squicks me out completely. I can't watch him and I can't listen to him. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 2

I seem to remember Hollywood Week was taped around Halloween I thought and the Top 51 showcase I remember definitely was in December. Yet Trent still had the mono around this time. Last week the first half of the top 24 taped and this week the other half will tape. Hopefully he is at least better by now? I mean... it's February.

I seem to remember Hollywood Week was taped around Halloween I thought and the Top 51 showcase I remember definitely was in December. Yet Trent still had the mono around this time. Last week the first half of the top 24 taped and this week the other half will tape. Hopefully he is at least better by now? I mean... it's February.

Depending on what you do when you have Mono, depends on your recovery. When you have it, you're supposed to do nothing but sleep and do as little as you can help it.  Activity can seriously cause issues for you. So most likely Trent set his recovery back doing this for Idol. I bet he was starting to get on the mend, but with the showcase, just a little bit of activity could have made him relapse and I hate to see how his spleen looks.  I was in second grade when I had mono, and even though I recovered well enough to go back to school after a month, I was excused from gym and physical activities for the year in case of relapse. However you can have long term problems.. my doctors think I have chronic fatigue syndrome because of my experience with Mono. 

Hopefully after the showcase he got the proper amount of time to rest and recover, otherwise he'll be fighting Mono through this whole season. And that's not an ideal situation.. then again dealing with kidney stones ala Phillip Phillps wasn't ideal either. 

• Love 1

Wasn't Dalton in a boy band created by Simon Fuller ? I read that somewhere. He seems to be an experienced performer.

I thought people were talking about this as if it was still Hollywood week. But I guess that ended when they did the rooms?

I had no idea there was a long break. Trent performed pretty badly and looked rough which I was discounting as him being sick.

Yes, Dalton was in a band called IM5 created by Simon Fuller, Jamie King and Perez Hilton.

Wasn't Dalton in a boy band created by Simon Fuller ? I read that somewhere. He seems to be an experienced performer.

I thought people were talking about this as if it was still Hollywood week. But I guess that ended when they did the rooms?

I had no idea there was a long break. Trent performed pretty badly and looked rough which I was discounting as him being sick.

Yes, Dalton was in a band called IM5 created by Simon Fuller, Jamie King and Perez Hilton.

Yeah Dalton is basically a ringer because of that but he's so good I don't care. :D Besides, the experience is refreshing in comparison to all these clearly green 15 and 16 year olds they insist on putting through. 

MJs blog had Hollywood week beginning 11/18.

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2016-spoilers-hollywood-week-begins-video.htm

And the showcase round 12/8.

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-15-2016-top-51-spoilers.htm

I got to admit that I just don't get all the Dalton love.  While he does seem comfortable on stage, I found his last two performances to be a bit too OTT, which may be explained by his boy band traiining.  I also find his voice to be only about average among the Top 24.  I guess I just don't get it.

I'm a bit more impressed with Mackenzie.  I liked his original song and he's bringing the same kind of artistic vision that he brought to The Voice.  But his vocals still seem somewhat limited, which was I think his downfall on that show.

Tastes and all that ymmv and all that. I haven't really paid attention to Mackenzie. Dalton just caught my eye with his candid comments and those damn eyes of his. I also like his singing so he's a good package for me, and this show has had so many ringers and they've stopped having unknowns on it for a long time now so whatever. Boy band, don't care. I like him well enough it's not an issue. The people behind the camera clearly like him as well. 

No matter how hard this show tries to find the female winners, lately all the female singers have been bland or not connecting with the voters minus a couple exceptions. By putting in guys like Dalton, Trent and Mackenzie clearly, they're already at a disadvantage at finding a female winner. So once again it's not so much the girls season to lose so far, but the guys season to blow chunks so hard it would have to be a girl to win. 

• Love 3

The irony is the year they are pushing for a girls win is also the year in which they have interesting boys in the mix. The ladies may have the pipes but I don't get unique artistry from any of them except for Jenn Blosil.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

The irony is the year they are pushing for a girls win is also the year in which they have interesting boys in the mix. The ladies may have the pipes but I don't get unique artistry from any of them except for Jenn Blosil.

Yes, and they had control over who made it!    They were not taking image into account, clearly.  La Portia has a good voice but really?  She is not going to win this.  Her baby (yeah, we get it, you are a mother) and that hair is enough to make me run screaming.  It is not all about the voice.  They let some pretty nifty women go.  They did keep a couple of contenders, though, just not enough.  

• Love 2

I would be interested in theories on why anyone involved with the show would care what gender wins.  Any winner is going to be a 'bookend for Kelly'.  Having a girl winner in seasons 1 and 15 affects say Simon Fuller how?  

But again, we still don't know who they REALLY kept and let go yet ... there are still 24 folks remaining and the judges themselves are going to whittle that down to 14 -- and THEN whittle it again to 8, with the fans ONLY getting to choose, if I understand this correctly, two "wild cards" (or "fan favorites" to bring back to round it out to a Top 10 (it MIGHT be that they vote through FOUR "fan favorites" for a Top 12, not sure) -- but either way, the first time the fans get to vote, the judges will have already knocked out TEN of these 24 permanently. 

That said, I might be sort of surprised if they kept Dalton AND MacKenzie AND Trent (though I don't see Trent getting the tweeny-grandma vote because he's just uncute.) OR they may think they'll split the tweeny-grandma vote. Who knows?

Main takeaway: The judges (in other words, TPTB) have a LOT more control over who's going to get into the fans' voting hands than they ever have before, so if they keep saying they're looking for a bookend to Kelly Clarkson, I expect at least one shocking cute-talented-boy boot during the showcases.

The only guy who I think they might be okay with going further than planned/expected would be Lee Jean because he really does fill a different hole for them in terms of previous winners (and yet has at least SOME of the qualities that have frequently won in the last and gotten that voting public excited) but while I think he's adorbs, I don't think he has the staying power to go the distance. 

• Love 1

But again, we still don't know who they REALLY kept and let go yet ... there are still 24 folks remaining and the judges themselves are going to whittle that down to 14 -- and THEN whittle it again to 8, with the fans ONLY getting to choose, if I understand this correctly, two "wild cards" (or "fan favorites" to bring back to round it out to a Top 10 (it MIGHT be that they vote through FOUR "fan favorites" for a Top 12, not sure) -- but either way, the first time the fans get to vote, the judges will have already knocked out TEN of these 24 permanently. 

That said, I might be sort of surprised if they kept Dalton AND MacKenzie AND Trent (though I don't see Trent getting the tweeny-grandma vote because he's just uncute.) OR they may think they'll split the tweeny-grandma vote. Who knows?

Main takeaway: The judges (in other words, TPTB) have a LOT more control over who's going to get into the fans' voting hands than they ever have before, so if they keep saying they're looking for a bookend to Kelly Clarkson, I expect at least one shocking cute-talented-boy boot during the showcases.

The only guy who I think they might be okay with going further than planned/expected would be Lee Jean because he really does fill a different hole for them in terms of previous winners (and yet has at least SOME of the qualities that have frequently won in the last and gotten that voting public excited) but while I think he's adorbs, I don't think he has the staying power to go the distance. 

In retrospect, Harry has made it clear in the presence of at least one male contestant (i.e. to their face), that what "Kelly bookend" really means, is "crystal-ball ourselves to another unquestionably screaming success capable of selling millions of records, regardless of gender".  If they think they can find that in a boy they'll switch ships.

That said, amongst your triumvirate Trent will go first.  I doubt producers would willingly give up prior audience recognition for Mackenzie or personal-referral aspect of Dalton.

• Love 1

This is what I read. The viewers will choose from the remaining 6.

Out of the final fourteen, Judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and Harry Connick, Jr. will be selecting eight of the Top 10 finalists. That will leave just two spots and six Hopefuls to fill them. Get ready for an all out singing battle on the American Idol 2016 stage as viewers will be deciding on those last two Wild Card seats.

I would be interested in theories on why anyone involved with the show would care what gender wins.  Any winner is going to be a 'bookend for Kelly'.  Having a girl winner in seasons 1 and 15 affects say Simon Fuller how?  

I don't think Fuller gives a shit.  The wanting a female winner is coming from fans, I think.  I also heard JLo say she would like a woman winner for a change.  

Oh, one last observation/question (because, apologies, my memory is just so crappy in terms of short-term retention) ... I had been positive, when we saw Jordyn Simone's initial audition, that if not a TCO she was absolutely going to be a major contender. 

Yet ... was last night, in the chair of doom montage, the only time we saw her again after that first audition? Am I forgetting (or did I accidentally fast-forward through) other subsequent appearances? Or did they just show this amazing first audition and then completely ignore her until they jettisoned her in a not-even-worthy-of-mention "montage of no"?

• Love 1

They won't make exceptions for a competition.

The military regularly makes exceptions for PR.  And American Idol has always been cozy with the military establishment.  I think that's why it's bugging so many people, because it's so obviously propaganda.

Edited by areca

I don't think Fuller gives a shit.  The wanting a female winner is coming from fans, I think.  I also heard JLo say she would like a woman winner for a change.  

Then get us a female singer that has a personality, can sing, can strike a chord with the majority of the voters and you know.. come to life. 

If they're gonna put in females that don't really grab anyone right off the bat, unlike with the guys, then i doubt very much there's gonna be a female winner. 

The military regularly makes exceptions for PR.  And American Idol has always been cozy with the military establishment.  I think that's why it's bugging so many people, because it's so obviously propaganda.

It's certainly bugging me and the other Vets in my area. I remember one of my shipmates tried to get time off to go with his kid to auditions and they denied him, so while they do make exceptions, in my shipmates case, they didn't. If she makes it to the voting rounds, no one I know is gonna vote for her. 

• Love 2

It's certainly bugging me and the other Vets in my area. I remember one of my shipmates tried to get time off to go with his kid to auditions and they denied him, so while they do make exceptions, in my shipmates case, they didn't. If she makes it to the voting rounds, no one I know is gonna vote for her. 

I think it depends on what show, what rank, what the person does in the military and how much publicity it will generate.  It's not fair and I don't think it's a surprise it can leave a bad impression/taste in your mouth.  I know in many cases the military is very secretive about where and how long someone is deployed, but it never ceases to amaze and confuse me when a tv show manages to bring someone home who isn't expected to be there especially when they're not expected back in the near future.

I'm going to join the crowd who despises the chair reveals and the stupid fake-outs.  After having such a stressful time it's surprising to me that no one says anything really rude to the judges that is broadcast for "shock value" for their behaviour and shitty comments.  I keep hoping someone will ask the judges to stop beating around the bush and just give them an answer.  Enough with the remarks and sad looking faces.  How about some smiles and simple congrats instead or a quick "you didn't make our top 24 - sorry".  That's all that's needed.

If everything written about the new way the contestants will be whittled down is true, I have to wonder how many times they'll change/add/subtract "rules" to make things more palatable for the audience?  People are going to be pissed and last season or not, I can see their numbers dropping even more than they already have been.  Other "reality" shows seem to change things depending on viewers' attitudes and numbers watching so it wouldn't be surprising if Idol does the same thing.

Oh, one last observation/question (because, apologies, my memory is just so crappy in terms of short-term retention) ... I had been positive, when we saw Jordyn Simone's initial audition, that if not a TCO she was absolutely going to be a major contender. 

Yet ... was last night, in the chair of doom montage, the only time we saw her again after that first audition? Am I forgetting (or did I accidentally fast-forward through) other subsequent appearances? Or did they just show this amazing first audition and then completely ignore her until they jettisoned her in a not-even-worthy-of-mention "montage of no"?

Yes, they only showed Jordyn (girl who they said looked way older than her age of 15) at her audition and never showed her again, except getting cut. I thought that was odd, considering how much they fawned over her at the original audition. But then again, they also made a big fuss over Melanie Tierce and then cut her in the first round of Hollywood Week so what do I know.

If everything written about the new way the contestants will be whittled down is true, I have to wonder how many times they'll change/add/subtract "rules" to make things more palatable for the audience?  People are going to be pissed and last season or not, I can see their numbers dropping even more than they already have been.  Other "reality" shows seem to change things depending on viewers' attitudes and numbers watching so it wouldn't be surprising if Idol does the same thing.

But the show has already been cancelled.  So why would TPTB care about appeasing the audience or ratings? 

Edited by ifoundit
  • Love 2

A network doesn't make much money without an audience.  

I had never heard of Jordyn so I googled her audition.  I never saw that one when it aired so if they showed her again later I must've been out of the room during that scene, too.  

But the show has already been cancelled.  So why would TPTB care about appeasing the audience or ratings? 

I'm not an expert on this, but the show is still going to be on and will need advertisers.  My understanding is the more viewers the more expensive the adverting costs.  The network makes money from their advertisers.  If a show you're broadcasting is tanking, then you can't ask as much per ad or court advertisers who pay out big bucks.  So maybe not appeasing the audience, but you need the audience for the advertising dollars.

I'm not an expert on this, but the show is still going to be on and will need advertisers.  My understanding is the more viewers the more expensive the adverting costs.  The network makes money from their advertisers.  If a show you're broadcasting is tanking, then you can't ask as much per ad or court advertisers who pay out big bucks.  So maybe not appeasing the audience, but you need the audience for the advertising dollars.

But Fox isn't going to make changes (spend money) on a show that they cancelled.  If they wanted top $ for advertising, they wouldn't have pulled it from May sweeps.

Keep in mind that Fox can take the show off the air any time at their discretion.  They are not obligated to find one last winner or even have a finale.

• Love 1

I agree with a lot of people that if the show wanted a female winner, they didn't do a good job.  The ones that interest me are Dalton, MacKenzie, and Trent.  For the females, I like Jenn Blosil.  I don't understand why Jeneve was chosen.  I think she and Amelia are good instrumentalists but their voices are weak.  LaPorsha has a great voice.  But her hair has to go and her voice seems old fashioned.  This is coming from somebody that is in her 50's.

• Love 2

On the guys side you have no winner with staying power whatsoever. Ruben? David Cook?. The most commercially relevant guys the show has ever produced are Chris Daughtry (past his radio friendly prime), the Glambert and Scotty McCreery who's currently without a label in the country music market.

On the girls side you've got Kelly and Carrie, the two true superstars the show has ever produced. Two more semi-viable artists in Fantasia and Jordin Sparks, and two more recognizable celebrity's from their post-AI acting work in Kat McPhee and the Oscar winning JHud.

With that history, I think it's totally understandable that the show would like to go out on a female winner. Preferably a young one who might still be in the public eye when the inevitable reboot occurs in 2020 or 2021 lol...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I agree with a lot of people that if the show wanted a female winner, they didn't do a good job.  The ones that interest me are Dalton, MacKenzie, and Trent.  For the females, I like Jenn Blosil.  I don't understand why Jeneve was chosen.  I think she and Amelia are good instrumentalists but their voices are weak.  LaPorsha has a great voice.  But her hair has to go and her voice seems old fashioned.  This is coming from somebody that is in her 50's.

Completely agree with all this. Dalton, MacKenzie, Trent, and Jenn are all my faves too. Most of the rest do not interest me very much. 

• Love 1

The wanting a female winner is coming from fans, I think. 

Huh?  You'll have to elaborate on this.

We heard the judges toss out all this stuff about it being a girl's season, and talk about Kelly Clarkson bookending. Comments they made many months ago in a scenario where the "fans" are only now seeing it long after.  The "it's coming from fans" charge is pretty unlikely with taped/long-ago pre-recorded content--where anything people are saying online in reaction is long after those statements and editing decisions were made. I mean unless the showmakers were clairvoyant and got fan reactions from their future beamed back to them.

Edited by Kromm

On the guys side you have no winner with staying power whatsoever. Ruben? David Cook?. The most commercially relevant guys the show has ever produced are Chris Daughtry (past his radio friendly prime), the Glambert and Scotty McCreery who's currently without a label in the country music market.

On the girls side you've got Kelly and Carrie, the two true superstars the show has ever produced. Two more semi-viable artists in Fantasia and Jordin Sparks, and two more recognizable celebrity's from their post-AI acting work in Kat McPhee and the Oscar winning JHud.

With that history, I think it's totally understandable that the show would like to go out on a female winner. Preferably a young one who might still be in the public eye when the inevitable reboot occurs in 2020 or 2021 lol...

On the latest Forbes list of highest earning Idols:

1.  Adam Lambert

2.  Carrie Underwood

3.  Chris Daughtry

4.  Phillip Phillips

5.  Kelly Clarkson/Scotty McCreery

On the latest Forbes list of highest earning Idols:

1.  Adam Lambert

2.  Carrie Underwood

3.  Chris Daughtry

4.  Phillip Phillips

5.  Kelly Clarkson/Scotty McCreery

I was gonna say, don't count out Phil Phillips!  All those commercial music licenses add up.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 3

And Scotty McCreery from what I understand is currently concentrating on his education (college) so he's probably not putting a lot of work in his music at the moment. He's got a good following in the country market, so once he starts putting more stuff out, he'll have more numbers up.

And with those lists mentioned of the girls and guys, it looks like it's about dead even. And with this bunch they currently got, right now I'd prefer Dalton, Trent second and if get the chance to see some more of Avalon, her third. 

Eh, regarding the Forbes figures.. the Glambert one has to be taken with a grain of salt because so much of that comes from his Queen gig. Which is nice work that he clearly can get while simultaneously over exaggerating his actual impact on pop music. Pretty much consisting of Ghost Town and maybe one other song.

Not totally sure what to do with PP. The staggering impact of his Olympic song I guess can't be overlooked. But he's still an afterthought AI winner IMO. Maybe I'm too biased cause I was never a fan while his season was unfolding though.

However, saying or insinuating that Scotty McCreery and Kelly Clarkson are somehow comparable is just ludicrous. Maybe the raw financials are, but that misses the point on the type of career she's had post Idol. And why I also think the vast majority of people associate Idol with females. Kelly, Carrie, and then Fantasia and JHud in some order.

• Love 1