Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Ye Who Enter Here

Tara Ariano

I was spoiled for Emerson's return by the credits, but still - didn't see that twist coming. The Azgeda blew up Mount Weather and Bellamy's girlfriend with whom he shared zero chemistry or spark! Oh, the angst that's coming.

And speaking of chemistry, I'm shocked the Polis saleswoman didn't combust from standing too close to Abby and Kane. Just do it already!

While I appreciate more balanced screen time, I don't like Clarke separated from the rest of the cast, Bellamy especially. Regardless of ever turning romantic, their relationship is the heart of the show. If they're going to turn against each other, at least do it to each other's faces.

The 13th Station/13th Clan parallels were a little silly, but I appreciate the occasional deviation into society-building. All the focus on war gets tiring - I really do want to know what they'll do differently with this second chance.

Every time Indra appeared on screen, I literally said, "I love Indra" to my tv. Same with Echo. She might have made Bellamy cry but she's good at what she does. I hope she stays recurring.

Raven deserves all the hugs. Go Sinclair for picking her first! It's about time.

ETA:

Indra and Octavia are besties again. All is right in the world.

Edited by Lila82
  • Love 3

Lexa proposed to Clarke at the end right? I mean, that's a pretty solid move on her part to win Clarke over.

Abby & Kane? More please.

Poor Gina, we hardly knew ya. Also, the effect of watching the timer in her eye as she slowly died was really well done.

Indra smiled!

Bellamy...bruh, I have no words. You have no idea what you've just started smh.

I didn't miss Jaha & AI lady *shrug*

• Love 1
Lexa proposed to Clarke at the end right? I mean, that's a pretty solid move on her part to win Clarke over.

I thought she was bowing to Clarke the way she wanted Clarke to bow to her.

At this point their relationship is hardly shipper-y. It's more about politics and power than it is about romance. And really that's Lexa's fault. I can see Clarke being attracted to her, but I cannot see Clarke forgiving or trusting her again.

Usually this show does so well with writing women. And then...they write Gina. A character basically written to fridge so that Bellamy can go "ALL GROUNDERS SUCK LET'S START A WAR." Sigh.

• Love 8

I thought she was bowing to Clarke the way she wanted Clarke to bow to her.

At this point their relationship is hardly shipper-y. It's more about politics and power than it is about romance. And really that's Lexa's fault. I can see Clarke being attracted to her, but I cannot see Clarke forgiving or trusting her again.

Usually this show does so well with writing women. And then...they write Gina. A character basically written to fridge so that Bellamy can go "ALL GROUNDERS SUCK LET'S START A WAR." Sigh.

Sorry I should've been more clear. I was joking about the proposal stuff. I'm pretty sure Clarke isn't remotely thinking about a relationship right now.

I liked the twist involving Gina but I agree, gone too soon for a pointless reason.

Amusing moment: when it turns out that the leader of the Sky People is supposed to get branded on the arm with a hot iron, Abby turns to Kane and says, well, I guess it's you then.

I knew that Gina was not long for this world.

• Love 3

Lexa:  THIS.  IS.  POLIS!

There was some awesome character stuff in this episode, as well as a nice plot twist to cap things off.  Pretty much all I ever ask for in a story. 

Kane - How great has this guy's character arc been?  From the 'evil 2IC who wants to assume power' in the first few episodes of season 1 to a genuine humanitarian and statesman now.  Like he's even too awesome to just simply take leadership when Abby offers it to him - 'nope, we do things the right way and hold elections instead!'  Unfortunately I think that might not turn out too well, what with Pike and probably Bellamy going to sow some discord over the new status of the now 13th Tribe.  But still, Kane reacting to Polis and it's people was such a good scene.  Plus how awesome are Super-Bro's Indra and Kane?

Raven - Another day, yet another metaphorical beating into the ground.  Like she finally got a point where she was maybe able to consider to herself that she might actually be worth fixing, and then Mt Weather and all its fancy medical equipment get blown up.  That's So Raven.  I wonder who's going to completely snap first - her or Jasper? 

Clarke and Lexa - Yeah, I'm with the 'she totally just married Lexa' camp lol.  I think Lexa is feeling extraordinarily guilty about what happened at Mt Weather (not necessarily about the deal she made, but rather the situation it put Clarke in) and is going the distance to make up for it.  I'm really looking forward to how Clarke responds to this, especially with a war against Ice Nation brewing.  Clarke's someone who seems to really step up to the plate when the stakes are at the highest and it will be interesting to how she goes about prosecuting another war alongside Lexa, now with the added burdens of their recent history.

Also, I think the contrast between Clarke and Bellamy was pretty interesting in this episode - Bellamy was driven by his personal desire to protect Clarke from an assassin, and it blinded him to the subterfuge of Echo and the Ice Nation leading to the destruction of Mt Weather.  Clarke, while still clearly holding her reservations about Lexa, was able to forge a political alliance for her people and ensure their survival.  Bellamy has pretty consistently shown to make decisions based on his own personal stake (remember, what swayed him over to Clarke's plan to irradiate Mt Weather was him seeing his sister in peril and remembering 'My Sister, My Responsibility' which, while understandable from his character's point of view, is still a pretty questionable 'justification' for genocide...).  While I think there's dark times ahead for Bellamy, I'm trusting the writers not to go Finn 2.0. 

EMERSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!! *shakes fist*

• Love 2

This was probably the most political episode of the 100 yet, with multiple assassination attempts (hinted or otherwise) lurking in the back. It seems we will be heading towards a 5 factions split? Arkers with Kane, Arkers with Pike, ALIE and outcast Grounders, Ice Nation & Allies and Lexa & whats left of the Coalition. Very ambitious of the show, and so far it is looking intriguing.

It was nice to have so much Kane and by extension Abby. Kane has grown into quite the diplomat, and he offers an interesting middle path among all the other leaders in this show. We also had Clarke take a step back from the more personal and emotional perspective, in order to look at the bigger picture. Meanwhile we had Pike and Bellamy do the opposite, with negative consequences for all parties except the Ice Nation that is excelling at pulling the strings of the various factions currently. Then with this attack by the Ice Nation it seems only a certainty that Pike will be gaining a lot of traction among the Sky People and be elected when put up against the more diplomatic Kane. It is very true to human nature that after such things happens, people gravitate towards leaders that are more extreme and black and white in their views that speak to peoples desire for revenge, but also their grief and fear. Pike is definitely going to be making use of that.

Whew. It didn't take long for the Arkers to look into getting those missiles working for them to use against the Grounders. And it was initiated on the word of a member of the Ice Nation, whose people were just "conducting drills that got a bit off course" and somehow also involved killing villagers. Like seriously. How dumb were Bellamy and co? When I saw the truck with the dead guards I was like... if they were going to assassinate Kane, Abby and Clarke at the summit, why kill those guards before it happened? It would give cause for alarm if they didn't radio in, so it would make no sense to kill those guards beforehand if they were going to kill of those 3. Like Bellamy and O, please think for a second.

Speaking of dumb. Yes lets move the arkers that refer themselves as the Grounder Killers into Mount Weather that has plenty of weapons, explosives and shit lying about.

Titus said to Lexa they were close to their goal, which is what? It can't be the Grounders united together, because the Coalition was already in place in S2. So what goal can he and Lexa have, where in the Arkers can jepodize it? I wonder if ALIE and the Grounder religion somehow play into this.

Finally some Raven focus. I used to be quite heavily on the stop hurting Raven 2K15 and 2k16 train, but damn. I talked to two other people whom are disabled, and they appreciate how Raven is still struggling. They mentioned how often someone that gets disabled in a TV show bounces back way too fast, and they like that Raven is still struggling and fighting off questions of self-doubt/worth because it feels true to reality. Lindsay also really sells those scenes of frustration and self-doubt that leaves me glued to my screen. I do want to see Raven get some happiness her way, however I'm withholding any malcontent so far as they seem to be giving her a more meaty story line, which should hopefully have a (positive) payoff for Raven.

Bellamy Bellamy Bellamy... sigh. You were super cute with the whole "only garden variety heroics, got it", but I wish he would be less gullible. If something confirms any sort of prejudices a bit too easily, maybe be a bit more critical towards it? Particularly considering the source. I suspect it will have consequences for this modified Coalition considering that, A: The Arkers killed innocent guards, B: they barged into the ceremony with weapons and threats. It also weakened Kane/Lexa/Clarke's move and probably made more Grounder Clans reluctant to have anything to do with the Arkers and played right into the Ice Queen's hands I suspect.

Lexa and Clarke. Such a complex and intriguing relationship that allows the show to play around in a lot of sandboxes through their characters and interaction. Lexa leadership moves are often layered, and doesn't just aim to get one objective done, but multiple instead. It makes for interesting viewing, but you also feel there is a less chance for it to go right simply because it would then make her succeed both at something that involves her political plotting, but also something that would make her "happy" emotionally - and no one gets both in this show really. Typically even when succeeding at one thing it will have a price. I suspect Lexa trying to incorporate the Arkers into the Coalition will be one of the biggest factors in her losing it. It represents too much 'success' as 1: with Wanheda reputation it should strengthen her Coalition and 2: remove Arker and Grounder divide and thus no "your people and my people" distinguishing which should annihilate dilemmas as the one at the Mountain. It is just too good for Lexa to work out properly.

Emotionally, there is a lot of shit between them and damn. Two sides pushing for one to kill the other, and Eliza's face in the knife scene was great. Their initial scene was throwing me back to s2 where Clarke hammered down Lexa's defenses and called her out about her caring. This time Lexa didn't censor herself at all, and it was pretty brutal for Clarke that have emotionally been burying things. Lexa was coming in from a complete emotionally detached angle, where as Clarke was still simmering in her feelings and anger. Then in the knife scene we had much more of a break down, followed later on by Lexa bowing to Clarke.  I do suspect others must have caught on to Clarke and Lexa's not-relationship-but-something. I doubt the Commander says "I am sorry" often, but we have had 3 cases of it, and 2 were in hearing of others. While politically Lexa has been able to justify what other Grounders percieve as leniency/soft spot for Arkers, you can tell several question her for not taking using a firmer hand, or don't quite agree with her reasoning.

The Ice Nation and Emerson ohhhh boy.  That is only going to spell out trouble for everyone. They see the way to consolidate power around them with attacking Mount Weather and to a lesser extent Arkers (cant say for sure since Pike's group just got moved into MW so not sure if they expected t hem in there, however I bet they are only more than happy to kill them as well). Also it was nice to finally get a peak at the Ice Queen played by Brenda Strong whom is a great actress.

RIP Gina.I wish the show had waited with the killing off of her character. It makes it a bit too obvious that she is just there to propel Bellamy's story line, and I really hoped the writers were better than that with female characters. I find fridging is always weak and aggravating as hell story telling. Maybe it is a consequence of the show always trying to move at a swift pace, but it is so obvious she will be used as an excuse/reason for Bellamy to adopt a very black and white view on the Grounders and side with Pike. That is despite a common factor of the Ice Nation with these things, which again shows Bellamy's lack of bigger picture but damn it. I want him to do better and be smarter. It is however true to character for him to act emotionally I guess but I still wish for him to be more able to detach himself emotionally, which is what drove a lot of leadership decisions from other characters this episode.

Random observations:

INDRA WAS SMILING. Adina Porter is awesome, and it is nice to see more of Indra that is more relaxed. It also looks like she offered Octavia her spot back, or well offered is maybe a generous word lol.

It was great to see so much life on screen with Polis, where it was just the common people and not just only warriors we were seeing.

Lexa sparta kicking out that arrogant Ice Nation ambassador was great although feared he would land on someone.

The nightbloods/the kids Lexa was training? Commanders in training I take it. Which means we might finally learn more about how Commanders are chosen, but doesn't spell well for Lexa. The fact that Titus has served 4 Commanders before Lexa also speaks volumes of just how long the average Commander lives. Despite it being a position of power, it seems to be a very tragic one. Raised to be a leader that has a short expiry date. Reminds me a bit of Buffy, that always had death hanging over her head.

Despite Lexa's politicking, she still told Clarke she was free to go without agreeing to joining the Coalition. There is no way it won't bit Lexa in the ass that she has a soft spot for Clarke. Be it Titus, Roan or Nia. Someone will use it.

Clarke represented an important focal of power, but we still haven't heard her talk much. She is still dealing with the Mountain, and I think it shows in how she is more quiet than what we are used to. I suspect it is about to change as we are now seeing her coming back into the field, and is again trying to help her people. It is not within Clarke's nature to be passive, which is partly what makes her a great protagonist imo.

The fighting style of the Ice Nation Grounder looked pretty great.

THAT BOW.

• Love 4

Brenda Strong is the Queen of the Ice Nation?!  That's a good bit of casting right there.  Can't wait to see more of her since it looks like the Ice Nation is really coming into the fold now.

Had a bad feeling that Bellamy's former prison buddy was going to end up being against them, but I honestly didn't see it being that they were going to it Mt. Weather instead of the summit. That is a pretty big blow for the gang.  A bit of a typical TV cheat to find a way for Raven and Sinclair to be outside so they managed to survive, but I will allow it since I like both of those characters.  Gina though, is totally done for, and I wonder if this is going to bring back Angry, Ill-Tempered Bellamy, which isn't good for anyone.

I actually wondered if the show was going to try and find some twisted way to have Clarke and Lexa get hitched, in order to solidify the alliance and whatnot.  Glad they avoided that cliche, but the episode having both Clarke and Lexa kneel and pledge loyalty to each other at different points, is about as close as they can get!  I'm still of two minds about them.  From a writing and character perspective, I still don't think Clarke could ever forgive Lexa for what she did and a relationship has to be a non-starter.  From an acting perspective though, I still think Eliza Taylor and Alycia Debnam-Carey have great chemistry, and it would be a bit of a bummer if nothing comes out of it.

Speaking of chemistry, a lot of Kane/Abby in this one, which is always nice.  Interesting that they were talking about having an election for the Chancellor position. Unless Kane is now, since he got branded.  I did crack up at that scene, because it really did look like Abby was almost like "Branding?!  Hell no!  The job is all yours!" about it.  He is a good diplomat though, and I do think he would probably be a better choice, and it would allow Abby to concentrate full-time on her doctor skills, which I suspect she'll be needing very, very soon.

I was fine taking a break from the wacky hijinks of Jaha and the City of Light.

It still kind of amazes me over how far this show has changed from season one.  I never would have though we'd be getting episodes like this, back when the show was mainly about petty squabbling, love triangles, and hook-ups.  I mean, there is still some of that more or less, but they have a lot of good political drama too.  Nicely done, show.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Gina we hardly knew ye, being fridged to serve up manpain and easy to understand motivation is a bad way to go. I hope Bellamy's guilt doesn't turn him all 'Boo Grounders' for too long rather it's more like the start of an emotional and perspective widening journey similar to Clarke's last season. 

Moving the Farm Station people into Mt. Weather seems like a particularly stupid thing to do, it's a good that Abby is looking to give up the Chancellorship as a leader she's a much better doctor but I have my doubts that Kane is going to win the election now. All hail Chancellor Pike! If nothing else he knows the Ice Nation like the others know the Trikru.

I'm not surprised that Clarke found a way not to return to Arkadia, now that's she's been bragged back into the world she'll do the best she can for her people but she'd still rather not be around them.  

Edited by patchwork

This was probably the most political episode of the 100 yet, with multiple assassination attempts (hinted or otherwise) lurking in the back. It seems we will be heading towards a 5 factions split? Arkers with Kane, Arkers with Pike, ALIE and outcast Grounders, Ice Nation & Allies and Lexa & whats left of the Coalition. Very ambitious of the show, and so far it is looking intriguing.

Riful, if I could like your post more than once, I would. That was a great break down of everything that happened on this episode - and of the repercussions!

I liked the Blake siblings moment of bonding. Their relationship is one of my favourite things. I totally get why she doesn't feel like an Arker though so I'll admit I cheered a little when Indra told Octavia she hoped she kept up her training.

Bye Gina. You had more chemistry with Raven than with Bellamy anyway. I'm not happy at her being brought on purely so Bellamy can be drawn to the Pike view of things (which is definitely how it's looking). I really don't want Bellamy to go down that path after all the progress he made from the jackass he was at the start of s1.

Also show, stop blowing up Raven!! Girl is barely in one piece after all the other shit she's been through there's no need to blow her up every season. I loved her with Sinclair though, I'm glad he can see she's awesome. I just hope Abby has some equipment at Arkadia that can help her with some of the pain at least.

I can't believe Kane has become one of my favourites! I loved seeing him so charmed by Polis and being to level headed. Even though Abby's been the Chancellor so far I kinda feel like he's been in charge anyway, so it's nice if he gets the actual pin too I guess.

It still kind of amazes me over how far this show has changed from season one. I never would have though we'd be getting episodes like this, back when the show was mainly about petty squabbling, love triangles, and hook-ups. I mean, there is still some of that more or less, but they have a lot of good political drama too. Nicely done, show.

MTE. If you told me in s1 when it was a bunch of kids running around the forest there would be an entire political episode with coalitions and summits and treaties I would not have believed it but I like how they've grown and transitioned the show into all these new directions in a way that actually seems organic. Their world is getting bigger in ways that make sense. Edited by dippydee
  • Love 2

It was a really good episode, and I loved all the political things going on, but I saw so many things coming, like Echo lying about the threat, Gina dying (she had "Red shirt" painted all over her forhead since day one) and Emmerson being the one with the codes, I didn't feel as shocked as the show wanted me to, I guess.
Raven: fantastic job by Lindsay Morgan here, and a very realistic treatment of disability here. I am all ready to see Raven be happy again, but when the show delivers these arcs with such quality, I don't mind
Clarke/Lexa: I love their scenes together. I don't care about them romantically (if Clexa happens, fine, if it doesn't happen, fine too) but the actresses really have a great interaction that shines on screen. I was glad to see Clarke not willing to trust Lexa but still able to see the big picture and the advantages of the Coalition while putting her own feelings of revenge aside. But I feel that nothing is really clear here: I'm not sure that Clarke isn't planning her own revenge on her side, just like Lexa can't be trusted 100%. She might have bowed to Clarke, but she still has her own agenda that she didn't tell Clarke about
Kane: I really like how Kane was developped, notably the fact that Abby realized he was better suited for this and I would like to see more of his interactions with Indra.
Bellamy: so much to say about him, what a complex character. He is at the same time a complete tool (if not a hindrance) and endearing. His character never wins anything (he always get his ass kicked in any hand-to-hand combat, except once when he killed Lovejoy) and always makes the poorest decisions ever. Even when he does something heroic (like infiltrating Mount Weather), he isn't even given credit for that. Last week, his desperation to bring Clarke was almost pathetic and now we know he'll go against the Grounders and probably gain Octavia's hate in the process (which grates a bit, I'd have liked it to be the other way around, this time, but oh well...) Maybe it is because he is so flawed and conflicted that I still like him or maybe it is because of Bob Morley's wonderful acting, I don't know. But I'd like to see him "be right", just once.
Pike: I can liken his reaction to the one I saw in so many people after November 13th (I'm French): the generalization. a portion of one population does something horrifying and then you decide that they are all the same. That is the most dangerous way of thinking, and we are going straight to the wall with these extreme ways of thinking.
Ice Nation: glad to see the most talked about Ice Queen, I want to see more.

I never would have though we'd be getting episodes like this, back when the show was mainly about petty squabbling, love triangles, and hook-ups.

I think that the show veered away from it very quickly, I'd say that when Charlotte killed Wells, it stopped being about it. Even the Raven/Clarke/Finn stuff didn't go in the traditional love triangle route and never was the focus of the story. I have this theory that they did a "CW-esque" Pilot just to be picked up but knew they'd ditch it as soon as they could (rewatching the very first 2 episodes of this show is torture!)

Edited by Coxfires
  • Love 2

That was a poor day for Bellamy from the romantic perspective. 1. Gina got murdered. 2. Echo, another potential love interest, make it possible through her betrayal. 3. Lexa is all "Clarke stays here as my lover, i mean ambassador."

It was not that great day for Raven either, like every day since she arrived on the ground, she must really hate Earth by now. Where are good old days of living on the dying space station under the fascist dictatorship.

Good day for Lexa, you can feel everything goes her way, i bet she even intended to provoke Ice Nation into the War to get excuse to kill Ice Queen. For Costia and for more power, for whatever her goal is. I love her, her way of talking and her rationalizations. "Lets not dwell on past betrayals and genocides, Clarke." "But Clarke i waited for a WEEK, it felt like forever for me!" 

Roan, you will have to try harder, if you want anyone to believe that bad reputation of Ice Queen is just Lexa´s propaganda.

There are some interesting consequences for Lincoln. He have the kill order on his head. If Arkers are part of the coalition, shouldnt they follow through with the order?

Edited by GaiusB

They were (assumed) dead in a fireball/crash, it's where Raven got the liquid blow up fluid to make her bombs in S1.

I think that was a great episode that I kind of a hated. I'm so so so tired of the Ark people trusting Grounders only to be betrayed by them immediately. I don't see any universe in which what happened was Bellamy's fault, if he hadn't fallen for the diversion I'm sure Ice nation would have just given up and not snuck in and blown him up too. RME.

I guess I'm missing all the Kane/Abby chemistry, but I did see a TON of chemistry with Kane/Indra who did an adorable forehead bump/hug. I also think Abby had a lil something with Nyko. 

I am so glad Clarke stayed mad at Lexa for three quarters of an episode before basically marrying her. MEH.

I'm also still loving Roan, I"m so confused as to his loyalties, I like that he seems to be out for himself alone and isn't loyal to mommy, Lexa, or anyone else, but still seems to want to belong to the larger Grounder culture. 

Seriously show stop blowing up Raven, both figuratively( her chances at happiness) and literally. 

• Love 5

When Clarke was all dressed up walking down the aisle towards Lexa. I thought they were getting married!

Loved Abby handing over the pin. Kane deserves it and is really the leader they need. They do have great chemistry together too.

Bellamy is going to blame himself for the girlfriend because he wasn't there and he sure walked into that Ice Nation trap. They'll be no living with Pike now. He'll even be more angry and kill hungry. 

I loved seeing Raven live again through another explosion. I missed not seeing Lincoln, Monty and Murphy. I don't mind not seeing Jaha or his crazy.

Amusing moment: when it turns out that the leader of the Sky People is supposed to get branded on the arm with a hot iron, Abby turns to Kane and says, well, I guess it's you then.

This was my exact thought at that moment. They passed that pin back and forth so much last season it was slightly ridiculous, and even the writers realized it enough to bring it up and decided an election should be held. But the moment a hot iron to the arm is mentioned Abby's just like, "Oh no, you should be Chancellor, I insist." xD

Bellamy: so much to say about him, what a complex character. He is at the same time a complete tool (if not a hindrance) and endearing. His character never wins anything (he always get his ass kicked in any hand-to-hand combat, except once when he killed Lovejoy) and always makes the poorest decisions ever. Even when he does something heroic (like infiltrating Mount Weather), he isn't even given credit for that. Last week, his desperation to bring Clarke was almost pathetic and now we know he'll go against the Grounders and probably gain Octavia's hate in the process (which grates a bit, I'd have liked it to be the other way around, this time, but oh well...) Maybe it is because he is so flawed and conflicted that I still like him or maybe it is because of Bob Morley's wonderful acting, I don't know. But I'd like to see him "be right", just once.

Everything you said about Bellamy is just so true, and so sad. His character is really quite tragic. Him and Raven, I tell you. I just want to hug them both.

Nobody knows about the mutual attraction between Lex and Clarke yet? Should be interesting when they figure that out.

I just kind of assumed everyone knew, but if they don't that'll definitely be interesting when they find out. Though I have a feeling JR's constant "This show isn't about romance" will keep anyone from actually bringing it up or discussing it in any way.

The people I was watching with and myself have one big huge question mark regarding something that happened in this episode. Like maybe we missed something?

Just how exactly were using the missiles going to stop a supposed assassination attempt by an unknown assailant? Like just what were Pike, Bellamy, Raven and SinClair thinking of doing? We had Raven, Gina and SinClair working under the idea that the summit was a deadline to get the launch codes so they were going to what? Launch missiles at Polis and hope they hit the assassin? Or maybe it would create a lot of chaos and the assassin went home for the day? We feel like we must have missed some key sentence or something somewhere, because we can't seem to work out how using the missiles would do anything except fuck things further up. Surely if they used them on Polis at that time, Abby, Kane and Clarke would be taken prisoners. I get having the missiles at hand for the future, but Raven was talking about how it was too late regarding the missile launch codes when the summit began

The IN ambassador was feeling way too cocky. Did he really think he could just taunt Lexa about Costia and disrespect her in front of her people so blatantly? As soon as he went all "why is Wanheda still alive? If this is your weakness again Azgeda is happy to step in".  Everyone I was watching with was like oh snap. Dude is fucked. And sure enough, he went flying. Also lol at the ice nation ambassador getting all high and mighty on Lexa, saying they don't make treaties with their enemies while they are working with Emerson. I guess maybe they justify it with the technicalities as they probably didn't draft a treaty with Emerson per say. 

I was really wondering how the show was going to pull of Clarke kneeling to Lexa as spoiled by the promo. I was expecting it to be the side of Clarke that buries her own personal feelings for the better of her people that would make her presence known. And sure that part did do that, but I think what also helped Clarke make that choice was the scene with the knife to Lexa's throat.

Clarke ended up starting to break when Lexa said she was sorry, and then Lexa continued to move away and told Clarke she could go back with her people and forget about having to join the Coalition. I think that pushed Clarke over the edge at that time because it showed that she wasn't a mere bargaining chip. In the face of Clarke's anger, hurt and emotional degradation, Lexa was going to let go of the biggest leverage she had. That probably made Clarke feel less like some trophy and also like Lexa might be worth trying to work with again. It also showed a limit to Lexa's head over heart way of doing things, which is a bit of relief. I feel like at times the show is balancing that rather close to the knife edge with Lexa.

I loved loved loved all the intrigue and political plots moving around. Also so happy to see more of Kane and Raven. The growth with Kane has been much more enjoyable than I thought. In S1 I was indifferent to his character but I find it refreshing now and interesting enough to watch on screen.

50 bucks those kids (future hedas?) are going to get butchered by the ice nation or somehow the Sky people end up causing their deaths.

Best part of this episode was no Jasper and CoL. Also the long overdue Blake's scene. I really want more of them together. It also seems like Indra is picking up Octavia as her second again? It made me so happy to just see those two together. I felt like S2 cheated us out of seeing Indra properly mentoring Octavia, so I hope we see it more this season. Indra is also just a different character, and I think her and Octavia will play well off each other.

While I appreciate more balanced screen time, I don't like Clarke separated from the rest of the cast, Bellamy especially. Regardless of ever turning romantic, their relationship is the heart of the show. If they're going to turn against each other, at least do it to each other's faces.

I agree yet sorta disagree? If they will be turning on each other, I agree it would be so much better if it happens with them interacting. Bob and Eliza play really well off each other and if such a thing will happen, it will definitely be great to watch unfold. But I disagree with the heart of the show based on how it is now. Back in S1? Yeah their antagonistic turned allies interaction was center piece of the show, and played a key role. But that was when the focus was on the 100 kids on the Ground, struggling for survival. Now the scope has expanded way past that smaller group, and those two are no longer such a focus point in that way. They have grown into different roles that places them as movers of various aspects of the story lines from different angles. Those two together wouldn't push anywhere near as much plot lines forward, as a part, which we saw very aptly in this episode. If Bellamy was in Polis the entire time then what? Bellamy would most likely just follow Clarke while making some objections - the end. So nothing would had gotten added to the plot nor would it had done much for Bellamy's character. 

That is not saying I am very happy with the whole Bell gets a gf so she can be killed for man pain and cheap way of pushing his character in a certain direction. I am however happy that he is getting his own story line. In S2 it took quite some time before Bellamy became an active center role in his own story line. Like first around when he went to infiltrate Mount Weather. In this season it has been from the get go. S2 tested Clarke big time with her being a leader in a time of war with higher  and she was faced with big heavy decisions. Bellamy didn't get that really in the same way. He was the soldier. Now being separated from Clarke will have the show testing and exploring his character, both him as a person and him as a growing leader. That is at least one upside I can see to this story line. So many of the other characters in leadership positions gets smacked with hard heavy moral choices that often have no purely good option. I think it is about time Bellamy also gets thrown into that swimming pool and we get to see how he deals with it and develops. I just hope the writers will do it better than how they have so far. 

Good day for Lexa, you can feel everything goes her way, i bet she even intended to provoke Ice Nation into the War to get excuse to kill Ice Queen. For Costia and for more power, for whatever her goal is. I love her, her way of talking and her rationalizations. "Lets not dwell on past betrayals and genocides, Clarke." "But Clarke i waited for a WEEK, it felt like forever for me!" 

The end shot was with the ice queen surrounded by the various clan ambassadors and Echo saying that the ice queen got her war. So I think it is safe to say it is the ice queen that is pushing for war behind the scenes and not Lexa. Especially as it was the ice nation that tried to sneak in an army on Trikru lands, killing trikru people and marching towards Polis. They got discovered and then proceeded to backtrack, calling it military exercises that wandered off-course. I do wonder why all those clan ambassadors being there with the ice queen, if they were in on some of the plotting to begin with. Or if after Lexa's choices in this episode like not killing Wanheda to get her power and having the sky people become the 13th clan made them want to hear more closely what the ice queen has to say. 

Edit: Oh my. I was actually trying to be more brief here. I wrote some of this for avclub commenting, but turns out I had even more to add sheesh. This show is way too good at making me ramble.

Edited by Gabe Torres
  • Love 3

So, since no-one has mentioned it, I'm guessing most of the audience didn't notice the scene at the end with Azgeda Queen Brenda Strong included the ambassadors of all the other clans at the summit meeting except Skaïkru and Trikru? Emerson being there was nifty and explains a lot, but I think the ambassadors are WAY more important. It means Lexa is fucked, basically. Also that Skaikru allying with Trikru was actually kind of a bad idea, because the other clans are conspiring against Trikru and Lexa. Remember Lincoln's line at the end of S2 when he said that Lexa's betrayal of Skaïkru had dishonored them all? I think we're seeing the results of that now, and the other clans have decided to follow Azgeda Queen Brenda Strong instead of Lexa. This season is gonna be CRAZY, y'all.

Edited by Nostariel
  • Love 4

LOL @ "The honour should be yours."

Why doesn't the self-destruct in Mt. Weather sound an audible warning? Why didn't they go on the PA and tell everyone to evacuate? I get that everything happened really fast, but they handled it poorly. That's kind of a pattern on this show. That said, I was surprised that Mr. Gaeta survived! And surprised that the assassin was in Mt. Weather. And surprised that no one noticed what's her name left them to climb a ladder for four hours alone.

Clarke and Lexa had such a lovely wedding. And, if it wasn't a wedding, I don't know why they made Clarke wear that dress, because I thought the point was to make her seem scary.

• Love 1

I really just wonder at the development of Kane. He went from the Evil Asshole Ambitious Guy in season 1, to a genuinely heroic diplomat and leader now. And it all totally works for me. I loved that we got to see him and his enchantment with the city and the people, and more of him and Abby, and him and Indra (who are just the most awesome BFFs anyone could ask for), and his skills as a leader. 

I am also always happy to get more Raven, but I swear, what will that poor thing have to do to get a break? At least she got a good pep talk from Sinclar, who I was also happy to see more of. I was so worried the increased focus on him meant he was not long for this world, but NOPE, Its Bellamys friged girlfriend. Come on, The 100. Dead girlfriend angst? Arent we getting enough of that with Jasper these days? Bellamy is too good a character to be Finned, and its hardly fair to poor Gina. At least give her a couple episodes.   

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I understand Gina´s death being anoying, but i think its unfair to criticize it as usual lazy plot device. The writers already proven that they can do better with female characters, its not like Lost where most female characters died for male angst and those who did not had not nearly as good story arcs as male characters like Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Desmond and Ben.

Gina was not the first red shirt on this show. Not every minor character destined to die can get a lot of character development. Sure they could simply not cast her at all, but there was a three months time jump. It would not be very realistic for Bellamy to remain celibate. He could have some one night stands, but that does not seems to fit his season 3 character. So he got a girlfriend. But since the writers did not wanted to dedicate a lot of screentime for this pair, she got killed quickly. And obviously it will serve as a justification for Bellamy to side with Pike. Imagine if he sided with him without Gina´death. He would turn into villian (or just into  big dumbass) and the writers would be hunted on social media for ruining Bellamy intentionally for Clexa.

Edited by GaiusB
  • Love 1

I just find it a little absurd that during last season that TonDC was the home base for the Trikru clan, yet there was absolutely no mention of the Polis and this massive tower -- which turns out to be not that far away.  And even Mt. Weatherites had no idea about it and they had been capturing and brainwashing Grounders for years.

Yet, early on in this season, everyone seems to know about Polis, and it turns out that TonDC was just the summer cottage for the Trikru.

• Love 2

I just find it a little absurd that during last season that TonDC was the home base for the Trikru clan, yet there was absolutely no mention of the Polis and this massive tower -- which turns out to be not that far away.  And even Mt. Weatherites had no idea about it and they had been capturing and brainwashing Grounders for years.

Yet, early on in this season, everyone seems to know about Polis, and it turns out that TonDC was just the summer cottage for the Trikru.

TonDC was never the home base for the Trikru clan. It was just the nearest village to where the Arkers were at. The people there was also categorized as scavengers, and a village that didn't have many warriors, just mostly kids and elderly. It became such an important point of operation strictly due to its geographic location in relation to Mount Weather and Camp Jaha.

Polis might be the original trikru captial turned Grounder capital. The writers havent said anything about that yet on SM or elsewhere. Maybe it was it is something Lexa built to create a center for all the grounders to trade, interact and so on as she seeks towards making them more united. It could also have belonged to a different clan but got converted into being the Grounder capital after Lexa took over. I am really curious just how Polis came into being.

For people speculating about the location of Polis, it is in Baltimore. Someone identified a subway entrance sign in one of the promo stills for this episode behind Kane, Abby and Indra, and I think it was confirmed on twitter. Polis is named after some subway line that goes from there that ends in 'polis'.

Riful, if I could like your post more than once, I would. That was a great break down of everything that happened on this episode - and of the repercussions!

Thank you so much for the kind words. This is such a great show to dissect, and I cant help but agreeing immensely with thuganomics85 about how much this show has grown, and in such an awesome way.

For people speculating about the location of Polis, it is in Baltimore. Someone identified a subway entrance sign in one of the promo stills for this episode behind Kane, Abby and Indra, and I think it was confirmed on twitter. Polis is named after some subway line that goes from there that ends in 'polis'.

I assume it's this image, which most likely stands for Linthicum Heights which is a neighborhood outside of Baltimore that is very close to the NSA and BWI airport. An air traffic control tower makes more sense for the setting of Polis than Inner Harbor Baltimore which is dense with taller buildings that would make it unlikely that only ONE tower is left standing. Currently all the stations around that area are light rail and above ground track, and I don't think BWI has a subway system between the terminals, but, the future, I guess. 

I'm curious about the Polis connection, do you have a link to it? There aren't any rail lines that go to Annapolis, unless that's where the P and L lines from the 100 Universe's map is supposed to terminate. The point where the S, P, and L line all intersect is where Linthicum/BWI airport is, and since the P line is entirely fictitious (the other two lines are extended off existing above ground light rail lines) could understandably be built underground. Sorry for over thinking this, but the Easter eggs connecting the 100's Universe with modern times is fascinating to me.

Edited by absnow54

Really enjoyed the episode. This season has started off really good. The show is definitely going big this year.

Let's see the show introduces a bunch of young kids that Lexa is trainning with. How many episodes till the one that struck Lexa or the whole lot is massacred? The mortality rate of young kids on this show is pretty high.

Something is telling me that Roan is working with Lexa. Why would she send him to get Clarke if she thought he might betray her and hurt Clarke. Maybe the initial plan was to really release him once he got Clarke and then he could work to take down the Ice Queen so that he would take over. However, once the IN crossed into trikru territory Lexa couldn't release Roan or it would look suspicious. I think Lexa does already suspect that the ambassadors are in league with the Ice Nation so she has to keep up the appearance that Roan is a prisoner. It was also suspicious that right after Clarke rejected Lexa's initial offer that Roan is suddenly visiting Clarke and able to get a knife to her. I think Lexa set that up so Clarke could have her break through and release some of her anger. Once Clarke realized she wasn't going to kill Lexa, Clarke's more rational side came through.

Was not expecting MT Weather to be destroyed. It is a good thing Octavia didn't take her horse.

I understand Gina´s death being anoying, but i think its unfair to criticize it as usual lazy plot device. The writers already proven that they can do better with female characters, its not like Lost where most female characters died for male angst and those who did not had not nearly as good story arcs as male characters like Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Desmond and Ben.

Gina was not the first red shirt on this show. Not every minor character destined to die can get a lot of character development. Sure they could simply not cast her at all, but there was a three months time jump. It would not be very realistic for Bellamy to remain celibate. He could have some one night stands, but that does not seems to fit his season 3 character. So he got a girlfriend. But since the writers did not wanted to dedicate a lot of screentime for this pair, she got killed quickly. And obviously it will serve as a justification for Bellamy to side with Pike. Imagine if he sided with him without Gina´death. He would turn into villian (or just into  big dumbass) and the writers would be hunted on social media for ruining Bellamy intentionally for Clexa.

This is why it's so frustrating though. The writers CAN and HAVE done better, so a convenient fridging to get Bellamy from Point A to Point B is just lazy. 

I'm not even going to pretend to have anything intelligent to say about this show, just noting that I ship Clarke/Lexa pretty hard, and this usually doesn't happen for me on F/F pairings. I give the actresses a huge amount of credit.

I just recently discovered that commander lexa is in the fear of the walking dead :))

And it's writers are making me question their talent because we know that the actress is better than what they asked her to do in S1. That's a discussion for another show though...

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 2

Sorry, I'm sure I can't be the first person to make this joke:

Clark(e)/Lex(a)? Is this the CW's way of finally throwing all those Smallville Clex shippers a bone?

Yeah, I'll show myself out.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 3

I loved the first two seasons of the 100. Now I have no idea what is going on with this show. I was confused throughout. Maybe I just need to watch again. I'm not feeling anything. Nothing. No emotional connections with the characters whatsoever.

Who were the people in Polis? Grounders? Why didn't they look like the traditional Grounders, with their shabby-chic-fur look?

I have a lot more questions but maybe I should watch again before I sound like a complete dummy.

• Love 1

It's funny because, now that y'all have pointed it out, the wedding imagery is pretty obvious, but at the time, I didn't read that into it at all. Maybe because when I think of political marriages, I still think of the production of offspring as a crucial part of them. But maybe it's not as important in a culture where it seems fairly safe to assume that command is not inherited.

That said, I feel like Lexa is most likely to end up either dead or in a political marriage to Roan by the end of this season. Frankly, I'm not sure what the point of having an enemy prince hanging around (for reasons that I still don't understand, as per my post in the S2E2 thread), if not a marriage alliance to the commander.

Lots of political possibilities, though. It'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

absnow54 yeah that is the station people identified. I can't remember where exactly I saw it. I am a total spoiler hound with this show so I end up all over the place. Best I can recall is that I think it was a tweet or an ask. They typically reject wrong spec about the location of Polis like e.g. some people thought maybe the Polis tower was the Bank of America building in Charlotte NC, and Polis was named for Kannapolis. Sorry I can't come with a link to something more concrete. I just have a memory of reading about this and thinking it was nice to finally know.

kingshearte What you are suggesting with Roan and Lexa I think is probably way to standard TV and predictable. Also I don't think the writers will fuck with their lesbian character like that. I rarely put my trust in any showrunner regarding female bi or lesbian TV characters, but here I am very sure the show would never do such standard TV fuckery where somehow a convenient plot always comes around that pairs the lesbian in some way with a dude.

Furthermore Lexa position is passed on through reincarnation so you are correct regarding the possible importance of hiers. The nightbloods we saw earlier are likely to be Commanders in training, where this hinted conclave decides who 'has the spirit''. Also in the S3 trailer

we see Lexa bleeding black blood and those kids are called night bloods. So I think it is highly likely that it is a physical marker for the Grounders that someone could receive the 'Spirit Of the Commander'

For keeping Roan around. There is the leverage that comes with having the Prince of the nation you are at war with. The Ice Nation leadership goes by monarchy, so he might even be the sole heir or the firstborn, which would grant him greater importance. Another thing could be that I think if picking between a prince whose primary goal is to go home, and a queen that wishes to expand her lands/start wars, you want to possibly get rid of the queen and get the prince in charge. While Roan was/is pissed at Lexa, he does seem rather chill and I think he could be someone Lexa might be able to work with. (I am assuming a bit here his relationship with his mother probably isn't the best. If they are close then my theory is probably dirt)

Edited by Riful
  • Love 2

Oh yes. I understand there are plenty of real-life reasons to keep someone like Roan around if you're Lexa. I meant more from a narrative point of view. If you're writing a story, and you bring in the Ice Nation prince — not a princess; not a general, an advisor, or some other high-ranking important Ice Nation sort — there's probably going to be more to it than simple politics. And don't get me wrong; I'm entirely on board with not marrying lesbians off to dudes. I hope things go another way. But I still feel like the setup is such that the possibility has to at least be raised, whether or not it actually happens in the end. Hey, maybe they can be a triad, with Roan and Lexa officially married, but Clarke shacking up with both... Oh dear, I think I just stumbled dangerously close to slash fiction land. Better back away slowly...

How come our guys don't just move?  All problems solved.

Yeah. How come this isn't the solution to every territorial dispute? #headdesk

I understand Gina´s death being anoying, but i think its unfair to criticize it as usual lazy plot device.

Character we've never seen before is made main character's insta-girlfriend and then killed off? Regardless of this show's really brave plot decisions re killing off characters, this was very lazy. Transparently so. And the biggest problem is that, if we don't care about her death then why are we going to buy that Bellamy does?

This.

But I'll be controversial and say I think it's Clarke's decision not to come home at the end that's the main trigger. After all, he ran off half-cocked to "rescue" her leaving his girlfriend behind and now she's dead and Clarke is staying.

On February 5, 2016 at 7:47 AM, nosleepforme said:

I loved all scenes between Clarke and Lexa. I like that their relationships is more complex than just being antagonists or lovers. It's an interesting relationship where you never quite know who might end up betraying the other one. Also, Clarke was just plain sexy in her Grounders outfit.

This is what one of the things I find most compelling about the Clarke/Lexa relationship too. There's so much to it! After finally finishing the series to date, I think this is my favorite episode, with the next one running a close second. Love the politicking and the Grounder culture and meeting the Ice Queen. Love Lexa. Love the depth Alycia and Eliza pack into the relationship between their two characters. I think Lexa feels tremendous guilt about leaving Clarke on Mt. Weather, though it doesn't really seem to be all about their people for either of them. They use that as a euphemism throughout, and sure, they both care very much about it, but the real issue is personal trust. Lexa betrayed Clarke personally, played her a fool, and used Clarke's feelings of love and admiration for Lexa personally against her, which is exactly what the Ice Nation did to Lexa with Costia...or tried to. It's like Lexa was trying to prove to Clarke, "See! I told you love is weakness. I will crush you for falling in love with me as a means of proving to myself and my people that love will not cloud my judgment again." But Clarke survives anyway, not by walling off her heart like Lexa did after Costia, but by feeling everything. She opens herself up even more and makes the choice to sacrifice her soul and piece of mind to save the people she loves. Clarke was willing to bear the brunt of resentment and retribution and guilt in order to save her group in a way that Lexa was not. That all comes to the fore in that knife scene where Lexa sees how battered Clarke's spirit is by the betrayal, which is the real weakness, not the love.

So what Lexa realizes is that not only was she wrong to betray Clarke, but that Clarke herself is spiritually stronger than Lexa was. And I think that just makes Lexa love and admire Clarke all the more. So at the end of the episode, when Lexa pledges fealty, it does strike me as like a marriage vow, but much, much more. Lexa is commiting herself personally to Clarke and to everyone Clarke cares for. What we see as the story progresses is that she never once wavers from that vow, and in doing so, Lexa willingly gives Clarke the upper hand. Clarke becomes the one who controls how the relationship progresses, and by deciding to trust her completely, Lexa makes herself and her people vulnerable to betrayal. Clarke could kill her at any moment; she's one of the only people Lexa is ever alone with. In truth, that vulnerabilty makes both Clarke and Lexa much more powerful because, of course, the trust is totally safe with Clarke. But what it looks like to outsiders, and what I think Lexa does continue to fear on some level for awhile, is that she has diminished her own influence, rather than gained the power that comes with a true ally and equal.

Spoiler

And in the end, we see how that misinterpretation kills her.

Also, holy smokes. They both look gorgeous, yes, and everything glowing in candlelight is romantic like something out of a Gothic novel.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I do feel bad for poor Gina; they've gotten so many female characters right that this is the first time I'm sorely disappointed with their decision of killing off a female character. I felt like she was just used for a plot device; she had a total of four or five scenes, and she barely got to do anything but kiss Bellamy and had a couple of scenes with Raven. We didn't even get to know Gina before she was killed off, and it felt like it was just to give Bellamy angst and a reason to join Pike. What, is Bellamy now going to massacre an entire village with Jasper? I'm not feeling comfortable about Bellamy's arc. It really disappoints me that the season 1 Bellamy, the one I really loved, is probably gone. Now I'm very much annoyed with him.

Who I'm not annoyed with in terms of male characters is Kane. His redemption arc has been wonderfully done and now he's one of my favourites. He's definitely my favourite male character on this show. I love seeing him flourish as a leader, and I love that Abby sees that too. 

Clarke and Lexa, a powerful duo together and apart. I've grown to love Lexa as a character. She may have questionable decisions that don't always make her look right, but I understand her position. She seems to care about Clarke and these feelings are clouding her overall judgment. I still like it, though. I still enjoy seeing her decisions become her possible detriment. She clearly regrets her choice to betray Clarke, something she may never fully fix, and yet she still tries. Also, those two looked gorgeous in the coalition initiation scene. I don't think Clarke's people know about their true connection, as Clarke disappeared shortly after the Mt Weather events, but I am looking forward to how they react. I bet it won't be well, as Lexa really screwed them for a time, and Lexa has much to make up for. 

I did love the last scene with them. Lexa bowing down to Clarke was very well done. 

Seriously, show. Leave Raven alone. I love how they're presenting her disability, which is why they need to stop adding more insult to injury, quite literally.

Brenda Strong as the Ice Queen. How fitting, and I love it already. 

• Love 1