Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

I just sent off 2 cbs feedback forms.

I forgot to include some things in the 1st one so I sent off another.

I asked them if it embarrassed them that chuck made all kinds of promises to them when being hired and now openly boasts about breaking them all.

I mentioned that michaels prostate cancer was not just about what's happening "down there".

I mentioned that I didn't want Dylan to become Jason with a gun like on gh.

I realize it won't really do much other than to make me feel better about getting it off my chest.

hopefully tho, I won't be the only one sending the same type of feedback to them.

• Love 7

I don't think the networks listen to anyone. The only thing they pay attention to are the ratings and "key demographics". What they do pay attention to is industry chatter and what goes on offscreen. My take on this is that as long as Pratt and Phelps show up for work (as opposed to spending all their time heading up Hollywood fundraisers a la MAB and MOCA in LA), the ratings continue as they are and there's no funny business going on BTS, they're safe and we viewers are just going to have to take what they dish up. If the ratings dip because we no longer want to bother turning the crap on, that's when they'll start to pay attention.

• Love 4

Y'all Jeff Branson followed me on Twitter! I tweeted a couple things about getting him cast as the new Lucky on GH and I guess he got wind of them.

It's ridiculous how excited that made me. And now I have to post this in the GH thread lol!

• Love 3

Y'all Jeff Branson followed me on Twitter! I tweeted a couple things about getting him cast as the new Lucky on GH and I guess he got wind of them.

It's ridiculous how excited that made me. And now I have to post this in the GH thread lol!

Cool. I didn't know he was the NuLucky. LOL believe it or not Richard Simmons and I have have messaged each other. He makes me laugh with his silly poems and goofy pics.

• Love 4

Not ridiculous at all! I get really chuffed when someone remotely well-known on Twitter replies to or RTs me :D

• Love 3

Cool. I didn't know he was the NuLucky. LOL believe it or not Richard Simmons and I have have messaged each other. He makes me laugh with his silly poems and goofy pics.

He's not, I just tweeted to GH that Lucky should be on canvas & Jeff would make an excellent recast.

• Love 2

If you're interested in what Y&R submitted for Best Daytime Drama you might be surprised to find out that according to Michael Muhney on Twitter today...

RT @pdxripcity: what scene was submitted? <THE EPISODE OF ADAM & BILLY CONFRONTING EACH OTHER ON THE ROADSIDE. GREAT SCENES!

and his response to the win was...

I'm particularly proud of last night's Emmy for Best Drama, considering the episode that was submitted. Proud of my costars. Great job!

• Love 11

If you're interested in what Y&R submitted for Best Daytime Drama you might be surprised to find out that according to Michael Muhney on Twitter today...

RT @pdxripcity: what scene was submitted? <THE EPISODE OF ADAM & BILLY CONFRONTING EACH OTHER ON THE ROADSIDE. GREAT SCENES!

and his response to the win was...

I'm particularly proud of last night's Emmy for Best Drama, considering the episode that was submitted. Proud of my costars. Great job!

That was very gracious of MM! Kudos to him!!

• Love 11

Saw some of the cast on The Talk today.  I have a feeling GT was missing the front row and I thought her a bit gushy.  Poor PB had no mic when he was speaking and no one jumped in to help him although he didn't seem to realize it.  KSJ got a haircut!!  Looks so much better! 

• Love 2
they all The Talk over each other inanely

The Talk or The View? The Talk (the one hosted by the CBS president's wife) seems to be pretty tightly scripted. I don't think those women say a word that hasn't been previously approved and there's really not much off-the-cuff banter. Even when they disagree on a particular issue, each person usually speaks their opinion while the others listen. The View OTOH seems to be your basic cackling hen party but I have to admit that I haven't really watched it since AMC was cancelled. (Ptooey, ABC Daytime).

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

I'm sure others have seen the DC blind item from yesterday that referred to some tweets over the past couple of days involving some soaps killing off some of their characters. Giddens indicated that one soap is planning to off three important characters (speculation involves Sonny on GH and others), along with a "rival" soap killing off a "victim turned villain", whose taping is already completed. I guess they're referring to CM, who seems to be done with the show which explains the tweets in which she wants "fans" - as if - to campaign for her return.

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 1

soaps in depth tweeted that cady said on her facebook that she is done at y&r.

then they said it was her employment status that changed.

then, they tweeted that cady said it was a technical error on her facebook.

I THINK she got her hand smacked for releasing the info too soon..

• Love 5

I'll tell you what. I'm going to level with you. It's been a very hard few weeks. A LOT has been going on. When the time comes to talk more about it, I will. I promise.

Right now all I can say is it's about to get really, really intense on the air shows. And it's worth watching. It's like nothing I've ever acted or been involved with story-wise before.

I totally understand that the character of "Kelly" drives some people crazy. But please remember, I am just the actress.

I'm glad to occasionally be given the opportunity to entertain you, whether it's on Y&R or elsewhere. And if you love the character or hate her, it's all good. Maybe just don't tag me when you hate on her, please, because my work means something to me. I hold the characters I get to create close to my heart. Maybe that's "over-sensitive" of me but I don't know how else to be without turning into a hard woman. And I'm already tougher than I want to be.

Daytime TV has been very, very good to me and I am so grateful for everything it's given me. And daytime fans have been beyond amazing. I can always count on you.

As for comments and stuff: it's a free country. I don't want to tell you how to feel or try and control how you act on social media, but please try and remember I'm a real, live, human being on the other end of some of those unfriendly comments. That's all. Just please try and remember that. Because I do. I know you're all real, live human beings. That's why I have never passed on my social media to a company or even a PR person. It's always me. Always. Maybe that's foolish but I enjoy the connection. If there's one thing I understand, it's loneliness.

Believe it or not, I really do.

I don't wanna lie to you about anything but I also don't want to jump the shark and ruin a cool storyline. So it's best I don't say anything until you see it for yourselves and make up your own mind about what it means.

It's a mystery, and nothing's worse than someone telling you what happens before you read the book.

As for me, the actor, the person who plays "Kelly," I feel like I have a broken heart. Is that because I'm too close to "Kelly" or too close to my work? Do I care too much? Maybe. Probably. I don't know. But I guess I'm just that kind of actor.

And that's all I can say.

• Love 1

Maybe she should just stay off social media.

Agreed.

Plus she makes no sense. I'm not Kelly but I *am* Kelly and feel her pain. <eye roll>

Edited by miamama
  • Love 5

Great article Blueeyes, thanks for posting.  I had never seen JH in anything else, I am really liking him as Adam.   I thought it was very cool of him to compliment both MM and CE.   JH has a great handle on the Adam character and it shows.

I also liked the PB and CG articles as well.

Edited by Suby
  • Love 4

Hadn't Cady already leak she was done on Twitter?

I don't think so. She hinted at things but apparently it was on her FB page that she let slip. I didn't see it. 

What I find ridiculous about her FB essay above is the ego of it. Does she think she's the only actress who has dealt with trash talk? She's choosing to put herself in a public forum (Twitter, Facebook, and blogging). And she's written a tell-all memoir about her life and all its gory details. She wants fame and people to "connect" to her in a real way. The two are diametrically opposed. Fame means you are a commodity. People consume you; they don't give a shit about your feelings. Even when they say they do they are just projecting their fantasies onto you. How can they know you when the only interaction is a character on a television show plus some tweets? You want real connection, connect to real people. Her 140 character tweets and her blogs, which are thoughtful at times, are one-sided conversations.

Learn from your costar PB and stay the hell off social media. He does his job and goes home and no doubt has "real connections." lol. He also has a hell of a lot more respect from fans and colleagues. Probably because he doesn't go begging for it from strangers online.

• Love 5

Great article Blueeyes, thanks for posting.  I had never seen JH in anything else, I am really liking him as Adam.   I thought it was very cool of him to compliment both MM and CE.   JH has a great handle on the Adam character and it shows.

I also liked the PB and CG articles as well.

I saw him on Revenge, very different character, and I was excited he was coming as Adam.  I think he is doing a great job too.  Not as dark as MM or even CE, but it works.

• Love 2

I don't think so. She hinted at things but apparently it was on her FB page that she let slip. I didn't see it. 

What I find ridiculous about her FB essay above is the ego of it. Does she think she's the only actress who has dealt with trash talk? She's choosing to put herself in a public forum (Twitter, Facebook, and blogging). And she's written a tell-all memoir about her life and all its gory details. She wants fame and people to "connect" to her in a real way. The two are diametrically opposed. Fame means you are a commodity. People consume you; they don't give a shit about your feelings. Even when they say they do they are just projecting their fantasies onto you. How can they know you when the only interaction is a character on a television show plus some tweets? You want real connection, connect to real people. Her 140 character tweets and her blogs, which are thoughtful at times, are one-sided conversations.

Learn from your costar PB and stay the hell off social media. He does his job and goes home and no doubt has "real connections." lol. He also has a hell of a lot more respect from fans and colleagues. Probably because he doesn't go begging for it from strangers online.

CM has been in the industry for a long time now so she should know how this works. People use online anonymity to say all kinds of hateful vile shit that they would never say in person, and yes, there are ridiculous crazy people who don't know how to separate an actor from the character they play. It sucks but I'm not sure what she's expecting. Does she think people are going to stop because she asked them to?

I don't even understand what the purpose of that post was. Things are happening in her personal life and behind the scenes but she can't say what those things are? OK? So why say anything at all?

• Love 5

ED is doing both. Since she isn't a lead character on either, she has the time. Love her as both of these women.

Days tapes way in advance. I'm pretty sure she's done taping there.
  • Love 4

Just because she's been in the industry for years, and knows how things work doesn't mean she can't be hurt by awful, hateful comments. I've always liked Cady and while I think Kelly is certifiable and wish she was gone, I think Cady is doing a good job with the character as written and as she's directed.

• Love 6

Cady McClain statement.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/cady-mcclain-releases-facebook-statement

I'll tell you what. I'm going to level with you. It's been a very hard few weeks. A LOT has been going on. When the time comes to talk more about it, I will. I promise.

Right now all I can say is it's about to get really, really intense on the air shows. And it's worth watching. It's like nothing I've ever acted or been involved with story-wise before.

I totally understand that the character of "Kelly" drives some people crazy. But please remember, I am just the actress.

I'm glad to occasionally be given the opportunity to entertain you, whether it's on Y&R or elsewhere. And if you love the character or hate her, it's all good. Maybe just don't tag me when you hate on her, please, because my work means something to me. I hold the characters I get to create close to my heart. Maybe that's "over-sensitive" of me but I don't know how else to be without turning into a hard woman. And I'm already tougher than I want to be.

Daytime TV has been very, very good to me and I am so grateful for everything it's given me. And daytime fans have been beyond amazing. I can always count on you.

As for comments and stuff: it's a free country. I don't want to tell you how to feel or try and control how you act on social media, but please try and remember I'm a real, live, human being on the other end of some of those unfriendly comments. That's all. Just please try and remember that. Because I do. I know you're all real, live human beings. That's why I have never passed on my social media to a company or even a PR person. It's always me. Always. Maybe that's foolish but I enjoy the connection. If there's one thing I understand, it's loneliness.

Believe it or not, I really do.

I don't wanna lie to you about anything but I also don't want to jump the shark and ruin a cool storyline. So it's best I don't say anything until you see it for yourselves and make up your own mind about what it means.

It's a mystery, and nothing's worse than someone telling you what happens before you read the book.

As for me, the actor, the person who plays "Kelly," I feel like I have a broken heart. Is that because I'm too close to "Kelly" or too close to my work? Do I care too much? Maybe. Probably. I don't know. But I guess I'm just that kind of actor.

And that's all I can say.

https://www.facebook.com/CadyMcClain

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

Just because she's been in the industry for years, and knows how things work doesn't mean she can't be hurt by awful, hateful comments. I've always liked Cady and while I think Kelly is certifiable and wish she was gone, I think Cady is doing a good job with the character as written and as she's directed.

But she wasn't complaining about people hating on her. She was complaining about people hating on Kelly and tagging her in their tweets about the character, who I might add is basically a newbie being written as a one-note psycho currently torturing a long-time (and beloved) character. People are invested in the show and have emotions about the character. That's a good thing. Isn't it?

If you identify too much with the character you play, that's your problem. The audience should have a forum to voice their opinions. If you don't like it, stay off social media. That's always a choice.

Hunter King took a serious amount of shit for a LONG time over the MM drama last year. She did not say one word about it. She stayed off Twitter for a few months and then came back on and ignored every nasty (and they were nasty) comment directed personally at her. And she continues to get many many nasty comments about her acting and her Emmy wins, which she generally ignores or sometimes responds to but she doesn't feel she should somehow be exempt from these attacks because she is sensitive. And she's a 20-year-old kid. I think an old pro like Cady should be expected to handle heated opinions about a poorly written character she's getting a lot of money to portray.

• Love 9
I think an old pro like Cady should be expected to handle heated opinions about a poorly written character she's getting a lot of money to portray.

I agree.

However it has seemed to me, especially on this forum, that many viewers had difficulty separating their dislike of the character from their regard for the actress. Now I'll admit I made the same mistake when MS was playing Phyllis but I was surprisedly happy to get cured of that when GT took over the role. Whatever, I think a lot of the criticism about Kelly and CM were over-the-top to an extreme that at times has really left me taken aback. I wish CM well and hope she lands somewhere where she'll have a better written role and her talent will be appreciated.

• Love 5

I agree.

However it has seemed to me, especially on this forum, that many viewers had difficulty separating their dislike of the character from their regard for the actress. Now I'll admit I made the same mistake when MS was playing Phyllis but I was surprisedly happy to get cured of that when GT took over the role. Whatever, I think a lot of the criticism about Kelly and CM were over-the-top to an extreme that at times has really left me taken aback. I wish CM well and hope she lands somewhere where she'll have a better written role and her talent will be appreciated.

True. And fair enough. I have been unimpressed (to say the least) with her acting on this show. But I've always liked her. I too wish her well. 

I haven't seen much hate for her on Twitter. She's very very engaged (responds to almost every tweet to her) and so she has a pretty kind following. But I have seen a lot of dislike of Kelly. And I think CM wanted so badly for this character to last. Plus she admitted in a (very interesting) blog that social media numbers are huge factors in performers' "value" these days:

In the past, my skill was enough to keep me employed. But these days I am told that my Twitter and FB numbers are where the producers and television executives are looking for proof of value.

So I can see why she's hyper sensitive to what goes on with Twitter etc. But asking people to "behave" in a way that she wants in a public forum isn't going to change a thing. I think she needs to accept Kelly is "dead" and move on. She's talented. She'll be fine.

• Love 3

I have been speculating that he is the killer, so maybe that is why he is coming back.

Oh, no!  I don't want him to be the killer - I love this guy and his bunnies.  I want to see him with Abby and I want Ben to go away.  I really think this guy could make Abby straighten her ass out.

Edited by movinon
  • Love 2

I sure hope they don't make him the killer..

I WANT him to be the one to break the case and FIND the real killer and exonerate Sharon.

I've had my fill of dirty cops and inept cops and keystone cops.

and as for him getting stuck with blabby or stabby in the back abby....NOOOOOO

• Love 3

I was trying to think of who the killer could be.  I really don't think it's going to be one of the major players (so few shows have the guts to do this), it's going to be some new character.  My money, therefore, is on Yack.

• Love 3

I agree.  I can't help but be reminded of Anna Gunn and all the crap she took from fans for her portrayal of Skyler White on Breaking Bad.  I hated Skyler with a passion, but so much of the social media hatred was toward Anna herself...so much so that she wrote an editorial in one of the NY papers (the Times as I recall).  Of course hers was so bad that she was getting threats, and I certainly hope this isn't the case with Cady.  I wish her luck as well.

• Love 4

According to Soaptown USA's "Loose Lips" for April 19, 2015...

"Austin is alive and well and killing anyone who gets in his way (Courtney also realized Austin was alive and he killed her) all for a documentary he wants to write on the rich and famous namely the Newman and Abbott families….  Austin makes a huge mistake and Dylan gets a clue that Austin may not be dead while trying to help Sharon."

http://soaptownusa.com/?p=11663#more-11663

If true and I hope it is then I guess Harding won't be the killer when he returns..

• Love 5

I'm with you - I would love this storyline, but I doubt we have anyone intelligent enough to write this.  If this worked out, then Harding could spank Abby's butt at least once a day - I don't want Harding to be the killer.

Edited by movinon
  • Love 1

I liked what she said and it seems she was being as honest about the story as she could and is very sad to leave the show. It's hard to find acting jobs after a certain age and I am sure she needs and wants to work.I wish her the best.I think what she was saying is that no matter how tough and strong we seem to be ,down deep we all want to be loved and respected for doing our best.

I think that is true of every actor and some may have a tough exterior but inside it has to smart just a little bit!

• Love 2

I adore Cady McClain. I really do. But what is bugging me is her comments seem to indicate what happened with Kelly is a surprise (which is why she is so "protective" of the character). Huh? Kelly was always a temporary character (and a minor one at that). CM was never taken off recurring and put on contract. The purpose of the character was supporting and to be a foil first for Villy and then more substantially for Phack. The entire courtship with Jack was sub story to what was coming (which was obvious in how rushed it was and in the repeated comments about "nothing" i.e. Phyllis coming between them and their vapid love story). She even said in an interview (that I quoted on these boards) that she was honoured and perfectly happy to play supporting to PB's Jack in "his story."

The character was written all over the map ever since being introduced. It's not like CM's been playing sweet Dixie Cooney for decades and suddenly the character went bonkers. So what's the shock about the turn of events? We were saying on these boards that Kelly was going to go crazy and come after Jack and/or Phyllis a year ago. 

I like reading her tweets but lately I'm sick of her conflicted and self-aggrandizing comments:

"It kills me" that some of you are let down with the direction of Kelly. I am too.

"I was so thrilled to be on Y&R I didn't say no to anything."

"Recurring actors are booked for dates and THEN given scripts."

And other similar statements. So, which is it? The character is written like a campy one-note freak (that even Cady doesn't like) or she is someone viewers ought to sympathize with (as in her FB post)?

I think CM got some big ideas about Kelly Andrews and her importance on the Y&R and she's "shocked" it's played out like it has (Kelly is written out). When Passanante was co-HW she may have promised CM things (because I'm almost positive that's how CM got hired) and the way she was written under Passanante was far far more "normal."

Pratt has no ATWT history with CM. So she's going out with a bang. 

• Love 3

According to Soaptown USA's "Loose Lips" for April 19, 2015...

"Austin is alive and well and killing anyone who gets in his way (Courtney also realized Austin was alive and he killed her) all for a documentary he wants to write on the rich and famous namely the Newman and Abbott families….  Austin makes a huge mistake and Dylan gets a clue that Austin may not be dead while trying to help Sharon."

http://soaptownusa.com/?p=11663#more-11663

If true and I hope it is then I guess Harding won't be the killer when he returns..

I like the idea of Austin being alive and being the killer, but this makes no sense:
  • how did he know that the Scoobies would try to cover it up?  If they didn't, the EMTs would have arrived and he would have been found to be alive, and what would have been the point in that?
  • he's making a documentary and pretended to be killed for the good of the documentary?  Not sure how that documentary is released without him going to jail.
  • Courtney's killer was in the squad room while other cops were a few feet away--that means it has to be someone who belongs there or wouldn't seem out of place
Why I like this scenario is it always really bothered me that a guy who planned to kill Avery, or even to threaten her with a gun, and then shoots the Police Chief, gets off, because he didn't mean to do it.  And then that, when Dummer married him, that the Newmans didn't figure out a nefarious way to take him out (hey, wait a minute, maybe Prick is the killer, cause he thought Austin and Courtney were not good enough for his grandchildren!).
  • Love 3

I adore Cady McClain. I really do. But what is bugging me is her comments seem to indicate what happened with Kelly is a surprise (which is why she is so "protective" of the character). Huh?

I think it's possible it could have been a surprise, that she had no idea Kelly would go from a somewhat scheming homewrecker to someone who has completely lost touch with reality.