Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Shooting Star / American in Paris

• Start Topic

Brooke is that special kind of narcissistic racist who assumes all other white people agree with her just because they're white. They don't ever attempt to filter anything they say. They are the WORST.

I was surprised how much I liked Dean Cain in this! All the things I've been reading about Reek here made me think he was gonna be some kind of player. And I totally forgot how hot he was back then.

• Love 1

To Tara, Sarah and Dave:

At the risk of being a squeef, I have to thank you guys for putting out this podcast.  It's been a rough few days for me personally and yet this podcast managed to break though and make me smile and laugh. Please never stop, and if you could, make a podcast every day so I have something new to cheer me up as I figure out how to begin navigating life as a newly-to-be-divorced lady. (I think it might be time for me to pick up a "mad bad and dangerous to know" t-shirt, because that will probably be the best way to attract a new man, right? The intrigue alone will make them flock to me...)

Seriously though--this podcast is a ray of sunshine on an otherwise dark day. 

• Love 15

Didn't Shannen Doherty attend the Lycee Francais in Los Angeles? I have no idea how long she went there, or how legit that school's French curriculum is, but I always figured maybe ShanDo thought she was a French badass and lobbied for the Reek storyline.

Hey, she has a really bangin' face and figure for a middle-aged mom/youngish grandma.

But seriously, why is she styled so OLD? Even in those dark days of fashion, young people didn't want to look like their grandmothers.

• Love 2

I know how y'all feel about that Baja pullover thing, and I'm not trying to defend it, but that shit was all over the place in the suburban Piedmont Triad area, North Carolina, at the same time Dylan was wearing it. There were RACKS of that mess at the mall. I have vivid memories.

From the description of Steve's naval-hiding tank top, I presume he needs an A-string (it's a little higher than a g-string):
https://youtu.be/QvJWvmR3Gjk?t=421 

Also, the description of Brandon's homeless project made me think of Thomas Jane in AD: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/arresteddevelopment/images/8/8c/2x02_The_One_Where_They_Build_a_House_(086).png/revision/latest?cb=20121126040613

Edited by helent
  • Love 1

I swear to god, every time Sarah goes off about Dylan and bees (this time the surf board made of bees) I hear "The Wind Beneath My Wings" in my head. Sarah, you're my hero.

I am listening at work, and literally cackled/snorted when Sarah suggested Dylan head into the sea on a surfboard made of bees. It was, how do you say? "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS"

"A BAJA TOP? MORE LIKE A BEE-JA TOP AMIRITE PEOPLE"

Well, he IS mad, beed, and dangerous to know. (Sorry. I'll show myself out.)

• Love 1

Didn't Shannen Doherty attend the Lycee Francais in Los Angeles? I have no idea how long she went there, or how legit that school's French curriculum is, but I always figured maybe ShanDo thought she was a French badass and lobbied for the Reek storyline.

I don't know about Shannen but I believe that's where Jodie Foster went to school before moving on to Yale, and she is fluent in French.  She's also smarter and prettier than I'll ever be.

Bite your tongue, maxineofarc.

NOT THAT THIS IS A THING THAT I WANT but between that bizarre shot with the short shorts and the newspaper last(?) week, and this bizarre shot with the short shorts and the desk this week, he totally fails to appear to be wearing clothes ever. I'm not sure if wardrobe hated Ian Ziering or really, really liked him.

Hair hated him. No question about that one.

Edited by maxineofarc
  • Love 1

NOT THAT THIS IS A THING THAT I WANT but between that bizarre shot with the short shorts and the newspaper last(?) week, and this bizarre shot with the short shorts and the desk this week, he totally fails to appear to be wearing clothes ever.

lol just making sure we're clear! I agree, the amount of skin/pepperoni that Steve shows throughout the summer is appalling!

I will concede your point about Dean Cain's 90's physical attractiveness, but then he opens his mouth and says s**t like, "At least you admit that there is something to be spoiled," and the business about "teach me the local customs!" for the French cheek-kissing (or tongue, in their case?). BLECH!!! Later on we'll have the endure the endless talk of "kismet" before Brenda realizes he's EXACTLY LIKE JIMBO! Give me brooding, stick-buggy Dylan any day over Reeek!

I will concede your point about Dean Cain's 90's physical attractiveness, but then he opens his mouth and says s**t like, "At least you admit that there is something to be spoiled," and the business about "teach me the local customs!" for the French cheek-kissing (or tongue, in their case?). BLECH!!! Later on we'll have the endure the endless talk of "kismet" before Brenda realizes he's EXACTLY LIKE JIMBO! Give me brooding, stick-buggy Dylan any day over Reeek!

Teenage me agrees with this. 30-mumbles me is less sure. I think Reek was generally fine in Paris - dorky but generally sweet enough - and even when he came back the kismet thing was gross but kind of what people think when they're young and in love and blah blah, and is a direct parallel to whatever Brenda's going on about in this episode about not meeting your soul mate, so they were probably actually really perfect for each other. But it was like they couldn't just make him a nicer, less drama-filled guy for Brenda to like for a while, they had to get all heavy-handed and character-destroying and make him Jim 2.0 and even have them playing keyboards and singing Wild Thing together just to really drive it home - and of course broody cheaty tank-toppy Dylan looks great by comparison. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I became firmly on Kelly's side after this episode.  Yes she turns into a boring, holier than thou saint after season 3, but I liked that she was TRYING to think about her friend, whereas Dylan was all "Brendawho?"  SD was acting like a brat, so I was okay when Kelly and Dylan got together.  Kelly stepped back after Paris and didn't make a play for Dylan until after Brenda left Dylan for cute wisconsin guy.  

YMMV, of course.

Wasn't Brooke, like, 20?  I don't think she was in high school- but man, she was a bitch on rollerblade wheels.

Awesome podcast guys.  Vous etes merveilleux et sarcastique!  I will never listen to Brenda's french accent the same way again.

Damn, I wish the song was still on this episode.  I recall that 90210 made the song a hit- Sophie B Hawkins owes them to keep it in.  Did she ever have another hit?

Something is weird with the cursor- in trying to write my post it wouldn't let me highlight text to cut/copy/paste.    Do I get to blame Brandon for this?

Dear god, Brenda's accent actually hurt me. I've been unable to make it through an entire episode due to Brandon's awfulness (I have tried several times, I swear) but the accent may be even more unbearable.

I know how y'all feel about that Baja pullover thing, and I'm not trying to defend it, but that shit was all over the place in the suburban Piedmont Triad area, North Carolina, at the same time Dylan was wearing it. There were RACKS of that mess at the mall. I have vivid memories.

I think that shit may still be all over the place. My 18 year old stepdaughter has one that she wears all the time. It's black and white, but it's still the same concept. Maybe it's a Colorado thing.

I have been listening to this podcast since the first episode, and I LIVE for it! BH 90210 is my absolute favorite, mostly seasons 1-4. I own all 10, but can't seem to enjoy watching much beyond season 7. . .

The summer of deception at it's best. Brenda's hair and outfits in this episode are dare I say, on fleek. She makes me wish I could pull off bangs. Her and Reeeeeeeck are a better match visually than her and Insect Man. But as soon as that god awful accent comes out and Rick's naiveness (is that a word?) is played out, it doesn't come across as fully believeable. But it does make for a better story line that both her and Dylan have now cheated. . .

Brandon and Brooke never a favorite, I actually liked the storyline with him and Nikki later on. A younger girl who can tolerate the Brayness that is him. Brooke needs a more WASPy type guy than good old liberal, in your face, Mr. Know it All Brandon.

The fact that the music rights were never obtained is hard. Especially later on when Brenda replays over and over "Losing My Religion" by R. E. M. Whatever song they chose to use in place does not match the tone or relevance of that REM song. Same with the Sophie B. Hawkins and many more.

• Love 3

It was Elaine Benes that said, "Sex in a tub? That doesn't work!" It's when she hated the English Patient. And she, Tara, and Sarah are right--overrated.

Hilariously, a pop up ad for a UTI cure came up on my podcast app right when the discussion of Brenda sleeping in a teddy happened.

• Love 1

You know what's really weird? I LOVED the 90210 summer episodes and have total recall of Dylan and Kelly on the beach by the fire but have ZERO recall that they actually followed Donna and Brenda in France. In my, clearly flawed, memory was that this "trip to France" was like the permanent one Doherty eventually took ... a.k.a. "We never saw them again." Or, at least not until they returned to the zip. I must have intentionally blocked out Shannen's war crime level French accent. Zut alors!

Right! Liz Lemon was dubious about sex standing up, maybe?

Perhaps shower sex? This being a semi-anonymous Internet convo, I feel safe saying that my friends and I have long had this argument. I, for one, find shower sex hugely overrated. Something that looks sexy in movies, but in real life, one of you is always standing in the cold with heiny freezing off. Getting, shall we say, traction isn't the easiest, and that's not a slip and fall I want to explain to my friends and family. Plus, the entire problem that water saps natural body functions just makes the entire experience a good-in-theory-not-in-practice exercise in my book.

• Love 1