Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

On 5/14/2019 at 5:12 PM, Bessiesue said:

I have finally caught up to all of my shows, and now I understand why Ladd, the boys, and crew are all meat and potato people.  Carrot fries, and sauce.  I am amazed that Brycer was able to get it all down.  

I laughed and told my husband that Ree is sitting in front of the TV with her notebook in hand, taking notes from Rachael Ray's 30MM to get "fresh" ideas.  Some of those recipes were just as ridiculous as Ree's.  Just presented in a more tasteful manor. 

Get ready for another engagement show, Meg is engaged (at least according to her FB page, and graduation show, Alex.  Alex also has a boyfriend that has been hanging around the ranch as well as vacations.  She also has a job in Dallas (wonder why so far away from Mom).  

Anyone notice this past weekend, that no one took a sip of the butterfly cocktail?  Hy was amazed at all of the flower infused liquors for the camera. 

She has her bottle dressing line right in front of the isle at our local Winn Dixie, and a frozen chicken and gravy dinner in the freezer section as well.  I guess she is finally branching out.

Keep up all of the funny posts, I love reading them.

Just now getting around to catching up with this thread.  You still have a Winn Dixie????!!!!

Thank you for the Welcome Backs!  Now, if someone would kindly tell me how to cancel the BOLD key, which I accidentally hit on this foreign (to me) laptop, I would be happy to retreat into the background.  

I (oh, shoot!) chortled over the idea that Ree gets her ideas from watching Rachael Ray!  Speaking of Rachael, has anyone seen her husband lately?  I caught a glimpse of him while scrolling the other day.  He's a bearded, scruffy, homeless-looking character to whom Rachael gave a big kiss.  Yuck!  

I didn't know that Ree is hawking her salad dressing now.  She'd have to pay me to try it.  Does anyone know how her pizza parlor is doing?  It wouldn't surprise me to know that she douses every pizza with fresh-squeezed lime.  I think it was P.T. Barnum who said "There's a fool born every minute."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Lura! You’ve finally returned! I’m so happy to see you!

The “steakhouse” pasta is lifted straight from Olive Garden. I had it the last time I was there. But are we surprised? Ree has not had a single original thought or recipe.

A gorgonzola cream sauce can be tasty. A local restaurant that unfortunately closed years ago had a magnificent ravioli Gorgonzola, though my mom liked to change the pasta to angel hair. It was so good and I don’t like blue cheese usually.

It truly drives me bonkers that all these bloggers and personalities that managed to weasel their way into becoming food professionals have no concept of flavor profiles. There are numerous cookbooks purely dedicated to that (the Flavor Bible and the Flavor Matrix are my two favorites). Maybe they should sit and study those for a while. Then maybe they’ll stop with some of these monstrosities I see on Pinterest.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Automne said:

Then maybe they’ll stop with some of these monstrosities I see on Pinterest.

As long as they continue to pull the wool over they eyes of their adoring sheeple, they will keep posting this crap.  The internet enables that kind of outright stealing and the sheeple will defend their "stars" to the death if anyone dares accuse them of plagiarism. 

And then there are the pages and pages of insipid pictures of the food from all angles.  What the heck is THAT all about?  I don't need close up shots of a teaspoon of salt.

It's sad that nobody actually thinks or does research anymore.  Members of this forum being the exception!

• Love 5

Sigh. Why can't Ree do a museum or a tour of the ranch or a library or something of some value to Oklahoma? Give to the community rather than profit from it.

I get she hires people......yet - all about her profit.

• Love 3

Good idea, MaggieMae.  Maybe Ree gives to her church (and keeps her minister in cookies) and thinks that is enough.

I wonder whether Ree got swallowed up in a recent tornado and is now somewhere in Kansas,  Speaking of the weather, did Charlize Cat suffer any damage in Kansas City?  Hope not!

I happened to catch Ree's show about using old fridge contents in dishes.  I can understand fried potato peels, but nothing else sounded good.  She served her family a salad consisting largely of wilted greens.  For once,  she didn't crow, "My family's going to love this!"

• LOL 2

Hello everybody. We are all fine here in Kansas City, MO. Tuesday night evening was pretty rough, though. 

I will back up a bit.  My brother, who I have written about here, studied many years of meteorology at the University of Kansas. He still tracks the weather and can synthesize all of that complex data from the National Weather Service. We went to the cemetery on Memorial Day and he drew a diagram of what could be expected on Tuesday and it looked pretty bad and storm would strike on Wednesday from approx. 3-7 p.m. and he was right.

Tuesday was a very gray, overcast, humid day. If you've lived anywhere that is prone to tornadic conditions, you'll know what I'm talking about. Several hours in advance, the air gets almost chilly and clammy and the wind was picking up.

So around 3 p.m., the watches were issued by the National Weather Service. It looked ominous around here in KCMO, but nothing happened. Then all hell broke loose around 6:45 or so when it started storming about 50 miles west of here in Lawrence, Kansas, which is home to the University of Kansas. A tornado was reported on the ground, but it was obscured by such heavy rain that it was difficult for storm spotters and radar to confirm.

Then the tornado headed east and ripped through the small town of Linwood, Kansas, which is about 10 miles west of where I grew up in Bonner Springs, Kansas. Then the storm hit the outskirts of Bonner Springs and skipped north a bit and headed straight for the Kansas Speedway and The Legends, which is a huge outdoor shopping mall. By some miracle, the storm recirculated and headed further north, right into the path of downtown KCMO. Again, the tornado somehow jumped the Missouri River and headed to the north part of the city towards the MCI airport. There were rumors that everybody at the airport was evacuated to underground tunnels. But the tornado never touched down again. Thank God.

If you are still reading, it sounds like this went on for HOURS, but it really was only like 45 minutes or so.  Fortunately, there were NO fatalities or serious injuries. The tornado was estimated to be a F4 with winds up to 175 mph, was one mile wide and traveled 32 miles.

There was no direct damage in Lawrence, Kansas, which would have been a disaster, as school is just wrapping up and students are getting ready to leave for the summer. Some rural communities on the outskirts of Lawrence weren't so lucky and were wiped out. Homes and buildings in Linwood, Kansas, sustained considerable damage. There was wind damage and a power outage in Bonner Springs, but nothing unusual. Kansas City, MO, got nothing. Not even one drop of rain.

What is so weird about tornadoes is that they can hit an area like a cul de sac and three homes will be blown to bits and another three will be completely unscathed. With this storm, debris was raining from the sky and mail and other belongings from families in Linwood, Kansas, were found nearly 40 miles away up by the airport.

The final kicker is that a tornado hit here in 2003 and did hit some heavily populated areas in Kansas City, Kansas (other side of the river/state line) and there were fatalities. The storm the other night follows nearly an identical path.

I am just grateful that the outcome wasn't as dire as it could have been.  The community owes that to all of the local weather teams being on top of this potentially deadly storm. Thankfully, "tornado season" ends next week, but this year has been really bad in terms of storms and heavy rains. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Thankfully, "tornado season" ends next week, but this year has been really bad in terms of storms and heavy rains. 

NPR interviewed an expert last night and this has been a record year.  He said things will be getting better this week but that we can expect the flooding to continue.  He also said that the "tornado belt" has shifted, possibly due to climate shift.

My sister is a long time, certified NOAA spotter so is always reporting conditions. She was the first to report the formation of the Henryville tornado in 2012.  The rotation started just across the road from their place.  She was running around throwing out hail pads and phoning in reports while I was trying to get her to come down into the shelter.  It was nuts.  And damned scary with that green sky and the hail was huge.  I was just visiting for Easter and it was certainly and interesting start to the holiday!

Glad that all is OK with you.

hail_1.jpg

• Love 3

Glad to hear that you're safe and sound, CharlizeCat, but your "tornado evening" sounded harrowing and worrisome.  Let's hope there are no more this year.

I saw Ree's pasta episode.  Dumb, dumb, and dumber.  I am tired of hearing Ree say that her family will love this or that.  Ladd and the  kids have worked hard all day.  They're so hungry  that, IMHO, they'd chow down on anything put in front of them.

Is there anyone here who likes Bryce's bleached blond hair like his sisters?  I s'pose if you have a mom and two sisters who all change their hair color, it's no big deal.  I wonder what Ladd thinks about it.  Poor Ladd.  I guess if you have all of those acres, a crazy wife, and four kids, bleached hair is the last thing he's worried about.  Who could blame him?

On 6/1/2019 at 7:05 PM, Lura said:

Is there anyone here who likes Bryce's bleached blond hair like his sisters?  I s'pose if you have a mom and two sisters who all change their hair color, it's no big deal.  I wonder what Ladd thinks about it.  Poor Ladd.  I guess if you have all of those acres, a crazy wife, and four kids, bleached hair is the last thing he's worried about.  Who could blame him?

I don’t even like the hair color on his sisters or his mom😂

• Love 2

I’m watching the “Waste Not, Want Not” episode right now and it’s already annoying me. First of all, she’s acting like using leftover chicken bones to make stock is some revelation. And then that the stock itself is some secret that she fell upon. “Takes risotto to the next level?” Pawhuska is not so isolated that she doesn’t know that chicken broth is a staple for making risotto. She refers to it as a “secret weapon”. Seriously, she didn’t create something new; TV chefs have been saying to use leftover chicken carcass to make stock for decades.

Another thing, and this goes back to my frequent complaint that there’s nothing “pioneer” about her, why doesn’t she use potato scraps and all that for compost, especially since she has a garden? Instead of trying to feed your family scraps and produce close to rotting, compost it and it becomes a benefit for your home garden.

And that frittata is making my stomach hurt. Salad dressing in it, really?

• Love 5

Ree is such a hack. I met a lovely woman from Tulsa at a luncheon last week who was visiting her college friend here in the Mid-Atlantic. I was tempted to ask her what people in Tulsa think of Ree and the Drummonds, but she seemed so nice and well-educated, I really didn't want to know if she was a fan.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's what she said? 

Oh, I have no idea, I can't stand her fingernails-on-a-blackboard voice and that crazy clown face rictus grin. I never watch anymore. But that's her excuse for ruining most food so....

• Love 1

Ever notice how Ree saves a  little bit of cookie or cake batter behind when she's baking?  I'd  put money on my guess that she's saving it for a sweet snack for herself.  I think she thinks she's fooling us.  At the same time, she shows off her evening walks (and walks at any other time of day) so that her fans will see how hard she tries to  stay in shape.  That small double chin is growing, Ree.  What a pretender!

I didn't know until yesterday, when I went to her site to read her blog, that she's opened an ice cream parlor.  Someone commented that Pawhuska should be named Drummondville!  I thought the writer must be from our little group since we already called the town by that name.  LOL  In case it did come from someone here, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lura said:

I didn't know until yesterday, when I went to her site to read her blog, that she's opened an ice cream parlor.  Someone commented that Pawhuska should be named Drummondville!  I thought the writer must be from our little group since we already called the town by that name.  LOL  In case it did come from someone here, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hi Lura

A case of "great (?) minds think alike" - I can't take credit for the F/B comment but I did throw Drummondsville into the mix in my post of 25th May!  Tho' maybe it had been said before on here.

• Love 2

Good for  you, Mandolia!

Now that the Drummonds own the Merc, the pizza parlor and the ice creamery,  I wonder what the good folks of Pawtuska are thinking about the Drummond takeover.  I sense a wee bit of trouble ahead.  Does Pawtuska have its own newspaper?  With Ree's great love of writing, I  predict that she's aiming to purchase the paper (1) to influence the town, (2) to name herself Food Editor,  and (3) to show Ladd and the kids how to get ahead with no talent.

• Love 1

I got mild heartburn just from watching Ree make that ridiculous fried chicken pizza and those batter dipped/fried peppers filled with runny mac and cheese.  Overkill indeed.  After saying that, I admit that I would be all over that funnel cake sundae like a fat rat..

• Love 2
On 4/24/2019 at 9:08 PM, txvoodoo said:

OH CRIPES NO. NOT PASTA SAUCE

I need to stage a protest over this. 

So, she also has ranch dressings and BBQ sauces. - if she's selling them, why does anyone need to watch her show/read her cookbooks to make them?

Right? If anyone thinks that the Ree Critiques are harsh, or were there, they're both delusional and utterly forget the critiques, well, everywhere else. I mean, how we talked about Aunt Sandy? And good god, Amazing Race contestants?? I mean, the recap on Colin & Christy was EPIC and none too sweet ("My ox is broken!")

Speaking of, are you watch TAR this season?  C & C are back, and dare I say, he is freaking adorable. 

This woman just used seasoned salt and in describing it, said that it has everything salt has (so...salt? Sodium chloride?), but with a little extra. Then adds paprika to whatever she was making because she “loves the little flecks of red” and...seasoned salt already has paprika in it. That’s why it’s red.

How many years of doing this and she still knows so little about food? Her existence is offensive at this point.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I think there is something in the contracts of FN personalities that they must call their children by infantile names.  Paige-y, Bryce-y, Todd-y, and now Giada has referred to her daughter as Jadey-Wadey.

Think I'm going to gaggy-waggy.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

The list of Ree-isms goes on and on.  I hope that none of you missed her "spatchcock" chicken episode.  Ree cut up the backbone and removed it, but the P. Woman couldn't break the backbone, so with a straight face, told us to flatten the chicken as best we could.  When she got to the wings, there was more trouble.  She explained, with great authority, that the reason for tucking them under the body was to make the chicken look more elegant.  (Huh?)  She had a hard time getting those wings tucked, but considering her failure to remove the backbone, she gave those wings a determined shove, and they went 1/2" under the bird.   I found it somewhat easy to forgive her for her lack of knowledge given that she must have been up all night bottling her salad dressing.  

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Lura said:

...was to make the chicken look more elegant...

Yes, because elegant is the only thing that poor chicken has going for it once it's covered in 7 kinds of unrelated, taste-clashing sauces and spices.

• Love 6

Saw a story on the food site Pure Wow that gives us all the secret ingredient that Ree puts into her iced coffee.  I knew that it would most likely be bogus, but I clicked on it anyway and the reveal just made me heave a "why did I bother" sigh.   It's... cayenne pepper, folks.  Really? 

I recall an episode about 3-4 years ago where Ree made a giant vat of iced coffee for herself for the summer days ahead; she did not add any pepper in it then.   I suspect this is just a throwaway article concocted to shill Ree's new dog food line.   We all know that Ree luuuves some cayenne, but this write-up screams a grasp-at-straws topic spun by a lazy publicist to promote the clients merch.

• Love 2

So Ree had a new show last weekend based on Father's Day and she made dinner for her father and Patsy and Ree and Todd delivered it to Bartlesville.

First off, I am fairly certain Ree was wearing a wig for most of the show. It was a bright orange red color and all one length and looked very synthetic. What tipped me off the most was the bizarre part (TM) Lura! The wig had a crooked deep side part. Actually, Ree wearing a side part isn't such a terrible idea because the asymmetry minimized the puffy chipmunk cheek look somewhat. Also, during one of the driving scenes en route to Bartlesville, Ree was wearing a different top and had her natural hair with the uneven layers and parted in the middle. It was very quick and easy to miss. Bad job, continuity editors!

Again, the food started out decent ideas, only to be crapped up with strange or unnecessary ingredients.

1.  Mini chocolatey-chocolate cheesecake. I was kind of excited to see that because I'd love to have recipes to bake in those small-sized pans because I hate being stuck with a whole 12-serving cake that I'm going to get tired of or it will dry out or I can't find anybody to share it with.  The cake looked pretty good until the very end when Ree dumped a CAN of that slimy metallic-tasting cherry pie filling over the top of the cake. That was the time to either do a triple-play on the chocolate with a layer of chocolate ganache on top or a simple dusting of powdered sugar.

2.  Chicken cacciatore soup.  That looked OK.  I didn't understand the need to brown the chicken thighs, remove them from the pan, return them to the soup later. Remove then again, remove the skin and bone and shred the meat, then return it to the soup again. Again, it looked like a decent tomato-based soup, as it should of been, then of course, Ree exercised her privilege of "because I can," and added a buncha heavy cream at the end.

3.  Herb Parmesan biscuits. Based on Ree's grandmother's recipe. These didn't really go with the rest of the meal and Ree said her original plan was to make garlic bread. Ree, in the future, go with your gut.

4. Italian salad. This consisted of radicchio, arugula, blood oranges and an inexplicable green olive dressing. Also, fricos, as if there wasn't enough Parmesan cheese already throughout the menu. I just couldn't wrap my head around the flavor combination. 

Todd rode along because he and grandpa have a "special bond," with Todd-y being the last baby and all. Ree was to also drop the sullen teen off at football practice later. At the house, Todd only spoke to Ree's dad when prompted. I didn't like the scornful way Ree kept referring to " ... and Patsy ... " like an afterthought, only it seemed more like a passive-aggressive dig to me.  Patsy couldn't have been more welcoming an gracious. Honey, you're neither Nan (RIP) nor Chuck, so just live with it.  I can't help but believe that Chuck was going to get a fancy steak dinner and huge dessert for his Father's Day meal, whereas Ree's dad got the Pawhuska version of the Olive Garden soup/salad/bread special.

What bugged me as well, was that Sullen sat in the back seat during both car rides. Is he too good/cool to sit in the passenger seat next to his mom? Don't bother to answer that!

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Italian salad. This consisted of radicchio, arugula, blood oranges and an inexplicable green olive dressing.

Lawd, that salad sounds absolutely vile!  Well, more vile than usual which describes a whole buncha her horrible combinations.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

What bugged me as well, was that Sullen sat in the back seat during both car rides. Is he too good/cool to sit in the passenger seat next to his mom? Don't bother to answer that!

To be fair, the camera person was likely in the passenger seat. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’ve really seen anybody sit in the passenger seat.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yup ^^^  Holy hell, that was TODD?  He's grown 24" since I saw him last on the show.  And his voice is changing.  Granted I don't watch much anymore, never know when the "new" shows are on apparently (maybe I'm still in bed).  I see some of the reruns but they're usually on while I'm doing other things.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, Lura said:

The list of Ree-isms goes on and on.  I hope that none of you missed her "spatchcock" chicken episode.  Ree cut up the backbone and removed it, but the P. Woman couldn't break the backbone, so with a straight face, told us to flatten the chicken as best we could.  When she got to the wings, there was more trouble.  She explained, with great authority, that the reason for tucking them under the body was to make the chicken look more elegant.  (Huh?)  She had a hard time getting those wings tucked, but considering her failure to remove the backbone, she gave those wings a determined shove, and they went 1/2" under the bird.   I found it somewhat easy to forgive her for her lack of knowledge given that she must have been up all night bottling her salad dressing.  

PW would benefit from watching Ina spatchcocking a chicken (as seen on a Barefoot Contessa episode recently shown in the UK.) 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mandolia said:

PW would benefit from watching Ina spatchcocking a chicken

Or virtually any real cook that has a program.  Every one I've seen. out side of moron Ree, is able to do it.

• Love 3
On 6/13/2019 at 12:34 AM, Lura said:

I read somewhere that she idolizes Ina Garten and wants to cook with her.  Let's have Ina do a chicken for her.  She would totally "roast" her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Let's hope Ina never stoops that low.  I would be so disappointed in her if she did.

I sincerely doubt she'd have time, what with hobnobbing with Broadway's elite and travelling with Jeffrey.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners ...

'Pioneer Woman' Ree Drummond says she'd love to collaborate with Ina Garten

-- "... Drummond tells Fox News she finds it super hard to get away from her ranch in Pawhuska, as she has her hands full with her family and multiple booming businesses in the downtown district. So if Ina is listening, it sounds like she has an open invitation to cook with Drummond -- if Ina is willing to travel, that is."

Be warned of the final sign before the Apocalypse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners ...

'Pioneer Woman' Ree Drummond says she'd love to collaborate with Ina Garten

-- "... Drummond tells Fox News she finds it super hard to get away from her ranch in Pawhuska, as she has her hands full with her family and multiple booming businesses in the downtown district. So if Ina is listening, it sounds like she has an open invitation to cook with Drummond -- if Ina is willing to travel, that is."

Be warned of the final sign before the Apocalypse.

The horror....the horror..

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Fox News - what a surprise (not!)

I expect the local Faux News affiliate is PW's megaphone to the local poors to attend the latest Sermon on the Mercantile … AND BRING MONEY!

• Love 5

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/06/ree-drummond-daughter-paige-arrested-public-intoxication-alcohol-possession/ 

Paige arrested in Stillwater Oklahoma. https://www.eonline.com/news/1050785/pioneer-woman-star-ree-drummond-s-teen-daughter-arrested-for-public-intoxication

"On May 2, a district attorney approved a request to dismiss both counts from Paige’s record. The Food Network star’s teenage daughter has also requested for the arrest and court records to be expunged."

It's nice to be a Drummond in Oklahoma. 

(from the RadarOnline article.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

It's nice to be a Drummond in Oklahoma. 

(from the RadarOnline article.)

I like how the article mentions that 21 year old Alex was caught on video chugging beers at a college party.  Wow!  A 21 year old college student chugging beer??  I’m shocked🙄

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

IDK, the reports say Paige has paid over $400 in court fees "so far".  She may have been ordered to take an awareness course or do some community service.  I think that's fair and it's right to have the charge removed - yes she was underage but a college freshman spreading her wings and making choices good and bad; fairly normal IMHO.  As long as she's made aware that random underage drinking is not allowed (at home maybe but that's it), public drunkenness is a definite No No and educated on the statistics on college, binge drinking and the harm it can do I think that's enough punishment.  And, of course, as long as those consequences are pretty standard for the area where she was arrested, she should get no more or less than anyone else in her situation.

Ree on the other hand continues to underwhelm with her recipes - I used to find some I wanted to try with some modifications (cutting down on the fat and sugar mostly) but lately it's been watching out of habit and because my elderly Mother likes to see the scenery, there hasn't been a recipe I've been even slightly tempted to try in a long time now.

• Love 4

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/06/ree-drummond-daughter-paige-arrested-public-intoxication-alcohol-possession/

Paige arrested in Stillwater Oklahoma. https://www.eonline.com/news/1050785/pioneer-woman-star-ree-drummond-s-teen-daughter-arrested-for-public-intoxication

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horrors!  And horrors again!!!  Think of all the cookies and other sweet treats that Ree now owes the D.A. in Stillwater!   And I'll bet that D.A. will be invited to the next Drummond Christmas party.

I saw an episode of Trisha Yearwood's show yesterday in which Ree visited Trisha in Nashville to cook together.  Ree was so put on, so sickeningly sweet, that it curdled the stomach.

TRISHA:  Would you chop that garliic

REE:  Oh, I'd love to!

TRISHA:  Will you add the bacon now?

REE:  I'd love to!

All the while, Ree was grinning like a Cheshire cat, passing out compliments to Trisha right and left.  Trisha was the most clever, most creative cook!  Trisha shoveled her food down because she was hungry, while Ree ate daintily, her fork flourishing the air like a baton.  Dizzz-gusting!!!  😃

• LOL 3