Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Automne said:

When I’ve switched up s’mores, I still keep it within the vein of the original. I’ve done alfajores (made with graham cracker crumbs and browned butter) as the cookie and filled with homemade ganache and marshmallow meringue that I toast before topping with the top cookie. 

Those sound outstanding and very elegant.  I have never heard of alfajores so I looked them up but couldn't find a recipe using graham cracker crumbs - did you make that up yourself?  I

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Those sound outstanding and very elegant.  I have never heard of alfajores so I looked them up but couldn't find a recipe using graham cracker crumbs - did you make that up yourself?  I

I did! The base recipe I use was given to me by a Peruvian man I used to work with at a hotel. I swapped a bit of the flour for graham cracker crumbs and some of the butter for browned butter and proceeded as normal from there.

If you ever find alfajores, buy them! They’re are so good; light and melt in your mouth. They’re usually filled with dulce de lèche.

• Love 3

I was thinking about the Smith family.  Doesn't Ree have another brother besides Mike?  I don't recall her ever mentioning him.  Also, I know about Ree's mother's mini-scandal, but did that happen before or after Ree's marriage?

(edited)
19 hours ago, Automne said:

"I did! The base recipe I use was given to me by a Peruvian man I used to work with at a hotel. I swapped a bit of the flour for graham cracker crumbs and some of the butter for browned butter and proceeded as normal from there.

If you ever find alfajores, buy them! They’re are so good; light and melt in your mouth. They’re usually filled with dulce de lèche.

I had to google alfajores as well!  And - this is from someone who doesn't really like sweet things, and who rarely eats pudding/dessert or cakes (which is why PW's "sweet offerings" make me wince) - they do look and sound rather wonderful.

S'mores, when I first encountered them on FN (thank you, Ina...one of her beach barbecues), were a total unknown to me in the UK.  Not high on my list of things for which I'd deviate from my more or less sugar-free path!  Although I have happy memories of toasting marshmallow on sticks at bonfires.

One thing I do enjoy (and it is VERY rich and VERY sweet) is Chocolate Biscuit Cake (what I think is called Chocolate Fridge Cake in the US? - like Rocky Road without the extra bits - I can see Ree unleashing her creatively enthusiastic penchant/ingredient overload for adding just about anything/everything within reach.

Edited by Mandolia

Brunch for The Girls (oft reeeee-peated, probably, but only saw it for the first time earlier today).  Tater Tots' (yes, I had to google that...brand name for a sort of frozen potato croquette, I think?!) pie with a citrus salad.  I love citrus salads but PW's creation included slices of lime.  Lime is a fabulous fruit in all sorts of ways, but - and it's a BIG but - not munching on slices of it on top of slices of ordinary oranges and blood oranges.  A potentially weird and overwhelming taste experience.  

Pink grapefruit and avocado, sitting on top of watercress (I don't like arugula/what I call rocket) with a citrus dressing is good.  But lays the way wide open for Ree Embellishments!

• Love 3

Hy's daughter Meg got married. This is a new post on her website. She also mentions they are opening a new store at the end of summer. A new cookbook in the fall. And she is answering comments on the post. She is like an energizer bunny.  Need the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

1 hour ago, Dineen said:

Hy's daughter Meg got married. This is a new post on her website. She also mentions they are opening a new store at the end of summer. A new cookbook in the fall.

She who?  Meg is opening a new store and has a cookbook?

20 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

She who?  Meg is opening a new store and has a cookbook?

Ree has the new cookbook and store.

Can you see Ree giving free publicity to a competing store and/or cookbook?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Can you see Ree giving free publicity to a competing store and/or cookbook?  

Oh, heck, no but isn't Hy supposed to be her best friend?  I thought maybe she got guilted into it.

• LOL 1

What is everyone making for food tomorrow? What about activities? I am doing the usual food, grilling, and I bought a desert. I am going to a concert with fireworks tonight, and will go for more fireworks tomorrow night. I bought premade potato salad because I am tired due to the heat wave. 

26 minutes ago, Dineen said:

I bought premade potato salad because I am tired due to the heat wave. 

Did you spice it up with pizza sauce?  Gummy bears?  Sprinkles?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

No but I should to make it super scrumptious. The more calories and fat the better. I wonder what Ree will be doing today. I wonder if the Merc will be open today. Probably will be, as there might be tourists coming in and will want to see it. I am sure she will post about it. 

• Love 1

Can't get rid of the quote thing (not sure how it appeared!) but no matter...

On the official PW Facebook page - I admit to looking at it if very bored - there's a buncha photos of Ree with visitors in the Merc on 4th July.  Her tunic top is a tad ill-advised and not exactly flattering, to my non-fashionista way of thinking. (sweet looking little girl, tho!)

PW 4 July.jpg

Did anybody watch last Saturday's show with the food for the mother-to-be? I have already forgotten her name, but she's an employee of Ree's and used to babysit the Drummond kids. 

I was wondering how the cheesy pasta would taste with the mint in the sauce. I know that Ree use a "buncha" different greens and herbs in that pesto she made, but mint tends to overpower most other flavors, even when used in small quantities. Yuck.

Why in God's name does this woman have to add heavy cream to everything? That white bean and sausage soup didn't look too bad until being doused with heavy cream at the end.  I guess (say it all together now) BECAUSE. SHE. CAN!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

... Why in God's name does this woman have to add heavy cream to everything? That white bean and sausage soup didn't look too bad until being doused with heavy cream at the end.  I guess (say it all together now) BECAUSE. SHE. CAN!!!

After the Drummonds have slaughtered as much of their cattle as necessary to provide beef for each year's market, maybe there are leftover cows?  So they milk those and then have dairy products to use up?

(edited)
52 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

After the Drummonds have slaughtered as much of their cattle as necessary to provide beef for each year's market, maybe there are leftover cows? 

My favourite part of her show is when she shows "life on the ranch".  Sure they are raising cattle for beef  but since I'm not vegetarian I figure I can't be sentimental about it.  

Only thingI don't like is the stupid practical "jokes" - fake snakes?  Please 🙄.

Edited by Danagirl
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, Mandolia said:

Can't get rid of the quote thing (not sure how it appeared!) but no matter...

On the official PW Facebook page - I admit to looking at it if very bored - there's a buncha photos of Ree with visitors in the Merc on 4th July.  Her tunic top is a tad ill-advised and not exactly flattering, to my non-fashionista way of thinking. (sweet looking little girl, tho!)

PW 4 July.jpg

That forehead and eye area is so Botoxed she couldn’t smile w her eyes if she got a free lifetime supply of sprinkles, jalapeños, mini marshmallows and rubber snakes. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

The "Haley's Having A Baby" segment wasn't too bad except for Ree's constant repetitions.  She said over and over that she was helping Haley like she had been helped with food when she was expecting.  *groan*   Ree really excels at patting herself on the back.  She talks like she deserves a medal for giving birth four times.  Hasn't she ever heard of "Cheaper by the Dozen"? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Ladd Drummond is the one who's had years of speeding tickets. There are other extended Drummond family with lots of speeding violations, also. The Drummonds are a well-known family in that area, and are given special treatment by law enforcement. What I can't understand about especially Ladd's continued record of speeding violations is that his brother was killed in an auto accident involving speed. You'd think something like that would've made him start driving more carefully, not worse.

This is a comment from the radar online article.

• Love 3

Here are some comments from the above article:

"Ree is exceedingly fake, the whole country bliss image is false and her husband's hatred for her is palpable. I can't believe the show lasted this long." 

GoldBus

13 Dec, 2017

^^^That woman^^^^ grates on my last nerve. I never tune in anymore. Foodnetwork has bitten the dust. Nothing to see or learn anymore. She can't quit smiling, fake and she makes my face hurt. She soooo tries to portray the perfect life. 

This frontier faker needs to get a nose job. Horrible honker!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

"That constant smile on her face shows just how uncomfortable she is." 

And this comment from a radar article about how she suffered a "difficult loss" 

BooHoo..loved ones are lost by "common folk" every day !! 

GreenFlower

29 May, 2018

OHGEEZ

That doesn't lessen the grief of those who are "uncommon folk 

I agree, why does the media think famous people's grief matters more than an average joe's.

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

Yesterday at 8:03 AM ·

New cookbook, new cover, new food, new frontier! I actually stepped outside the kitchen for this cover and it was nice to get a little fresh air for a change! 🌞 (Also, I wore a top that was definitely NOT loose and flowy, which in my world is the same as “skin tight” so I felt like I was wearing a latex catsuit, but that's my issue to sort out. 😂) This cookbook has been many, many months (almost a year) in the making: Lots of testing, tasting, taking photos, writing, editing...it was a blast! I think you’re going to love the what’s inside; it’s a mix of all the hearty, tasty dishes my family and I love, but with some delicious curveballs thrown in to keep things fun. “The New Frontier” will be here October 22 and is available to preorder online now. I’m currently planning my cookbook signing tour, and I hope to be able to meet you somewhere along the way. ❤️❤️❤️ Here's where you can find out more (and see more pics of the food!): https://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/the-new-frontier/

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

20 hrs ·

I forgot to mention that despite the fact that I'm outside in my cover photo, and despite the fact that I'm wearing a skin tight (har har) shirt in my cover photo, and despite the fact that the title of my cookbook is "The New Frontier"...ALL of the recipes in the book still have step-by-step photos, just like my previous cookbooks! Some things will never, ever change, and this is one of them. Here's a peek at the kind of process shots in the cookbook. (Multiply this times 112 recipes and you will understand why my camera is covered in food and may never be the same.) Can't wait to share with you in October!

• LOL 1

“(Also, I wore a top that was definitely NOT loose and flowy, which in my world is the same as ‘skin tight’ so I felt like I was wearing a latex catsuit, but those are my issues to sort out.),” she

Oh, wait she's serious.  Let me laugh harder.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Thank heavens! I've been waiting years and years for someone to show me how to grill chicken and veggies. /s

Yes, I'm still grateful for the episode where she showed us how to make a sandwich with a hamburger bun, a slice of cheese and some cold cuts.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

I think I need counselling after witnessing a PW "creation" (I used the word in its loosest sense) on one of her shows yesterday.  Macaroni cheese stuffed peppers (I think poblano???) (if that's the correct spelling!) DIPPED IN BEER BATTER and deep fried.  I can (more or less) get my head around mac cheese stuffed peppers but it's the batter/deep fried element which left me feeling rather sick and also speechless.  I think she said it was an experiment.  Not something I'll be making any time soon!  

Stuffed bell peppers are a favourite of mine, tho not stuffed with mac cheese!, so there's no reason to think stuffed poblano peppers wouldn't be nice.  Having said that, I'm not sure that they're readily available in the UK.   I might have to do some research!

4 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

That cookbook cover photo is filtered and Photoshopped within an inch of its life

What do you mean "filtered"?  I'm not a computer wiz! She is always photoshopped though, I have noticed.

It looks like there were filters or Vaseline (really!) on the camera lens to give it that soft-focus look. Very common practice in photography, especially with women who are getting older. Frequent practice on TV, too. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

Very common practice in photography, especially with women who are getting older. Frequent practice on TV, too. 

Women can't win.  Someone will notice and  make cracks when they try to hide their age and someone else will notice when they don't!  Growing older gracefully isn't something we (royal we) seem to accept with female celebrities.

• Love 4

I read recently that Ree is worth a whopping $50 million from her show alone.  More than one story said that she attempts to conceal her wealth and to behave normally so that she will not lose her appeal to the middle/lower class fans who support her in droves.  If Ree truly has that kind of money, I suggest that she spend a little on:

*getting her hair cut in a "bob" and dying it back to brown

*taking her truck to a car wash once a week

*enrolling in a cooking class

*donating her maternity tops to the Salvation Army and investing in a few T-shirts in               plain, soft colors

* shedding a few pounds by joining a gym

*donating her gifts of cookies and other sweets to lower income families

*learning once and for all that you DO NOT wish someone, especially your pastor and his wife, a "Happy Good Friday!"  (You can lead a cow to church, but you can't make her learn.)

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Lura said:

*learning once and for all that you DO NOT wish someone, especially your pastor and his wife, a "Happy Good Friday!"  (You can lead a cow to church, but you can't make her learn.)

I saw that episode. I could not believe she actually said that!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lura said:

I read recently that Ree is worth a whopping $50 million from her show alone.  More than one story said that she attempts to conceal her wealth and to behave normally so that she will not lose her appeal to the middle/lower class fans who support her in droves.  If Ree truly has that kind of money, I suggest that she spend a little on:

*getting her hair cut in a "bob" and dying it back to brown

*taking her truck to a car wash once a week

*enrolling in a cooking class

*donating her maternity tops to the Salvation Army and investing in a few T-shirts in               plain, soft colors

* shedding a few pounds by joining a gym

*donating her gifts of cookies and other sweets to lower income families

Lura - I agree with all of your bullet points above.  Particularly the final point which, when I first saw that episode (and reee-peated often) left me "gobsmacked" as we say on this side of the Atlantic.  Happy Good Friday...I might try it out next Easter, as I skip around the village on THE MOST SOLEMN DAY OF THE CHRISTIAN CALENDAR before descending on the vicar's house bearing Hot Cross Buns in the manner of a deranged Lady Bountiful awash with gin (and a rictus grin).  

And I'm certain that part of PW's business strategy developed over the years - her "success" has not happened accidentally - is to perpetuate the myth that she's just an ordinary rancher's wife who lives an ordinary life cooking ordinary food.  I suppose it's quite clever.  Find your demographic and play it for all its worth, and you create an adoring fan base.  Or am I being deeply cynical?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Mandolia said:

And I'm certain that part of PW's business strategy developed over the years - her "success" has not happened accidentally - is to perpetuate the myth that she's just an ordinary rancher's wife who lives an ordinary life cooking ordinary food.  I suppose it's quite clever.  Find your demographic and play it for all its worth, and you create an adoring fan base.  Or am I being deeply cynical?  

You got it in one! There is nothing about the woman that isn’t plotted, staged, rehearsed, and strategic. 

• Love 3