Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Who's the new cowboy they bought the manufactured home for?  Just him and his kids with no mom?  I thought that has to be really lonely living there all alone. 

They looked young.  I wonder who watches them while he ranches all day?

• Love 1
On 11/9/2019 at 8:32 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Who's the new cowboy they bought the manufactured home for?  Just him and his kids with no mom?  I thought that has to be really lonely living there all alone. 

They looked young.  I wonder who watches them while he ranches all day?

Maybe Ree “helps out”...

• LOL 1

An episode today was of a Drummond house being declared a historic home and Ree making lunch for the curator in the vein of Addy Drummond, Ladd’s great-great-grandmother. Aside from Ree making the 38957383rd iteration of lemonade (grape this time), what had me rolling my eyes was how she spoke of the Drummond ancestry like it’s her ancestry and not the family she merely married into.

But I think she came the closest to admitting that she cribs recipes from church cookbooks because she went a little into Addy creating a cookbook fo her church, including the cream cake Ree made. However, while I won’t use her recipe, making a lemon-raspberry cream cake does sound like a lovely idea to do at work, given the demographic for whom I cook.

• Love 2

Is anybody watching this morning?  GROSS!  Everything bagel sausage and cheese patties, girl, you trying to kill your kid?

I am usually indifferent to her but a third of a pound sausage patty?  Really?  I'm gagging just thinking about it.  A third of a pound sausage patty?  Girl, you're done.  

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, albarino said:

Is anybody watching this morning?  GROSS!  Everything bagel sausage and cheese patties, girl, you trying to kill your kid?

I am usually indifferent to her but a third of a pound sausage patty?  Really?  I'm gagging just thinking about it.  A third of a pound sausage patty?  Girl, you're done.  

It was just disgusting. I know the kid is out doing physical labor but the fat content of that thing would kill a race horse.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, albarino said:

He's an active teen-age boy.  You can't get enough calories into them in a 24 hour day. They're like black holes.

• Love 4

Never one to allow a good bandwagon to pass her by, Ree is stayin’ home, but is still dedicated to filming for us!  She made a mug cake that hasn’t been done 1,000 times already and a soup with 11 cans of ingredients in a pot with about a quarter-inch of room left at the top.  It had all of the requisite zany camera angles and good-natured teasing with her camera crew/“kiddos.”  It didn’t quite reach Joanna Gaines levels of awkwardness and forced camaraderie (I cringed myself into a new dimension that morning), but it was darn close.  As usual, it was light on substance, but heavy on . . . well, fat.

An observation: Ree may want to consider filming using iPhones in the future.  Her Botoxed rictus was slightly less apparent this week, so at least there’s that. 

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 1

I clicked on an episode titled 10 Things I Love About Ladd and I just could not turn away. I mean, if the PW's statements about this man are genuine that's very nice - but just building a show around it seemed off, especially when the two of them have the on-camera chemistry of Erika Jayne & Tom Girardi from RHBH.

I don't know why I can watch Valerie Bertinelli make a pretty standard, not terrific recipe and not be too bothered. Maybe because he guests actually look happy to see her? Also, she's not pushing a frozen food line, bath mats and whatever else the licensing gods will allow.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 4/13/2020 at 4:14 PM, chick binewski said:

I clicked on an episode titled 10 Things I Love About Ladd and I just could not turn away. I mean, if the PW's statements about this man are genuine that's very nice - but just building a show around it seemed off, especially when the two of them have the on-camera chemistry of Erika Jayne & Tom Girardi from RHBH.

I don't know why I can watch Valerie Bertinelli make a pretty standard, not terrific recipe and not be too bothered. Maybe because he guests actually look happy to see her? Also, she's not pushing a frozen food line, bath mats and whatever else the licensing gods will allow.

She also doesn't load her dishes with a lot of unappealing, fatty garbage.

• Love 3

I'm usually critical of the PW but appreciate how she has revitalized a town.  Watching this morning, she made fish tacos with frozen fish sticks (I can forgive that, we're all doing the best we can)but she also added mixed cheese.  ICK.  Her cabbage slaw also looked revolting with thousand island dressing and pickled jalapeños.  Double ICK.  

Today was the second episode with Ree in quarantine and she is extra annoying now.  She has ramped up the "personality" while interacting with her daughters wielding the cameras, and the girls SO's hanging in the background.  She's went up a level on the jokes and laughing and puns and the ain't-I-so-funny.   Blergh.

I almost feel bad for how at how she asks for validation - she asked the four people assisting to rate her soup on a scale of 1 to 10.  Stop that, Ree, especially for something so simple - all you did was open a bunch of cans.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, patty1h said:

Today was the second episode with Ree in quarantine and she is extra annoying now.  She has ramped up the "personality" while interacting with her daughters wielding the cameras, and the girls SO's hanging in the background.  She's went up a level on the jokes and laughing and puns and the ain't-I-so-funny.   Blergh.

I almost feel bad for how at how she asks for validation - she asked the four people assisting to rate her soup on a scale of 1 to 10.  Stop that, Ree, especially for something so simple - all you did was open a bunch of cans.

Agree 100%!  I spent the whole half hour wondering when the sheer top she had on over a shirt was going to go up in flames, turns out her wooden spoon caught fire instead, I'm going to try making those homemade tortillas!

1 hour ago, sandyskyblue said:

Agree 100%!  I spent the whole half hour wondering when the sheer top she had on over a shirt was going to go up in flames, turns out her wooden spoon caught fire instead, I'm going to try making those homemade tortillas!

I know! That was definitely not the shirt to be cooking in! What was she thinking??? I also was waiting for it to go up in flames!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, patty1h said:

She has ramped up the "personality" while interacting with her daughters wielding the cameras, and the girls SO's hanging in the background. 

I certainly hope that Stuart is not Paige's "SO," since they are cousins. (Stuart is Ree's nephew; he was introduced on the previous quarantine episode.) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, albarino said:

I'm usually critical of the PW but appreciate how she has revitalized a town.  Watching this morning, she made fish tacos with frozen fish sticks (I can forgive that, we're all doing the best we can)but she also added mixed cheese.  ICK.  Her cabbage slaw also looked revolting with thousand island dressing and pickled jalapeños.  Double ICK.  

Did she really revitalize the town, though? I have similar issues with Chip & JoJo Gaines. It’s less revitalization and more takeover. They’re not helping local townspeople to open and succeed with their own businesses; the success is just with their own Mercantiles and bakeries and mills and other properties.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, Automne said:

Did she really revitalize the town, though? I have similar issues with Chip & JoJo Gaines. It’s less revitalization and more takeover. They’re not helping local townspeople to open and succeed with their own businesses; the success is just with their own Mercantiles and bakeries and mills and other properties.

That is a really good point.  I"m not familiar with the Gaines (and in a new house buying new furniture and everybody wanting to sell me rustic shelves, I asked somebody why and they said "The Gaines.")

I seem to remember googling Pawhuska and several B&Bs popped up.  At the time I thought those B&Bs would not be there without the Mercantile.  It has been several years so I could be wrong.  Regardless, a huge increase in tourism has to help everybody including the tax revenue in the small town.

I mostly criticize her recipes (and I don't even really cook) but I appreciate she was at the right time at the right place. 

11 hours ago, albarino said:

That is a really good point.  I"m not familiar with the Gaines (and in a new house buying new furniture and everybody wanting to sell me rustic shelves, I asked somebody why and they said "The Gaines.")

I seem to remember googling Pawhuska and several B&Bs popped up.  At the time I thought those B&Bs would not be there without the Mercantile.  It has been several years so I could be wrong.  Regardless, a huge increase in tourism has to help everybody including the tax revenue in the small town.

I mostly criticize her recipes (and I don't even really cook) but I appreciate she was at the right time at the right place. 

At least one of those B&Bs is a Drummond property, though. You ever watch one of those fictional shows set in a small-town that is pretty much owned and run by one hugely wealthy family to the point most of the revenue generated is from their businesses and properties and the local LE and judicial system is in their pockets? That’s the Drummonds in Pawhuska, OK, down to the part that there is a Drummond who is a judge. 

And as @chessiegal pointed out, sure Ree was at the right place and the right time for her blog to take off, but that was sure easy when she married into one of the wealthiest families in Oklahoma and therefore didn’t need to fit blogging around a 9-5 job and had an unlimited budget for a professional camera and equipment and had the Lodge built primarily for her pursuits. And could afford the marketing and all those Kitchen-Aid mixers and $150 gift cards to various high-end shops that she supposedly just found lying in a junk drawer for giveaways in her early days.

Even her TV show is a result of that wealth. She produces the show. The Food Network only spent the money to buy and air it. They don’t even have to waste money marketing her show; I have FN on a lot and you do not see ads for PW’s show.

The Gaines are on the same track as well in addition to driving up housing costs and property taxes with their fixer-uppers. The Magnolia bakery (which is likely riding a serious copyright line with the well-known Magnolia’s in NYC) is theirs. The restaurant is theirs. The B&B is theirs. They bought and renovated the old grist mill just for Joanna’s cooking show. The only thing you could really appreciate them for is trying to change the association of Waco to them and not David Koresh and Branch Davidians.

Edited by Automne
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Why is she doing iPhone episodes?   Her shows are shot in her lodge, right?   Her camera operator can wear a mask and editing is apparently still being done remotely.   Is she doing this just to be on trend ?

10 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Why is she doing iPhone episodes?   Her shows are shot in her lodge, right?   Her camera operator can wear a mask and editing is apparently still being done remotely.   Is she doing this just to be on trend ?

A camera person would have to travel there - who wants to get on an airplane right now? Even with a face mask, there is no reason for people outside of their family to come in contact with each other than essential travel. Making a tv show is not essential travel.

Do we know her production staff comes from out of state?   She produces the show herself and sells the finished product to FN so I assumed the crew would be from whichever large city in OK she's close to.

52 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Do we know her production staff comes from out of state?   She produces the show herself and sells the finished product to FN so I assumed the crew would be from whichever large city in OK she's close to.

Doesn't matter if they are in town or out of town. She exec produces the show. Doesn't mean there isn't a producer there during taping. Bottom line - essential travel does not include making a tv show. And I am not a PW fan - I think she is a hack. For the safety of all of us, we all need to stay home.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

She produces the show herself and sells the finished product to FN so I assumed the crew would be from whichever large city in OK she's close to.

The closest large city is over an hour away.  And people are supposed to be only within family groups, not tooling around on the highway, stopping at gas stations.  Stay home, stay safe is the mantra in my state.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

I have an idea that the production time do fly in (from the West Coast?) and spend time at the ranch filming episodes in series "chunks".  I remember something being mentioned during the period of filming immediately after Nan's death - which made for extremely uncomfortable viewing and was, to my mind, horribly/unnecessarily intrusive.  

• Love 2
On 4/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, chessiegal said:

Bottom line - essential travel does not include making a tv show.

Apparently it does include making television commercials however, because seemingly every business in America has at least one quarantine- or COVID-related ad running. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, J-Man said:

Apparently it does include making television commercials however, because seemingly every business in America has at least one quarantine- or COVID-related ad running. 

But most of those are shot in L.A., where everyone in the business already are.

20 hours ago, J-Man said:

I work in advertising, and I'd be willing to bet that many of those ads are using stock footage or b-roll from previous shoots with remotely recorded voiceovers. The editing and such can all be done by art directors and video editors working from home. 

It's interesting that PW's eldest daughter and BF are both on the ranch instead of hunkering down at their home(s) in Dallas. 

• Love 5

I must say I am enjoying the stay at home episodes. They are more casual and the family seems to be having a lot of fun with them. Although I thought several times those kimonos she was wearing were going to catch on fire!

• Love 3
On 5/9/2020 at 9:01 PM, andidante said:

I must say I am enjoying the stay at home episodes. They are more casual and the family seems to be having a lot of fun with them. Although I thought several times those kimonos she was wearing were going to catch on fire!

I was pleasantly surprised as well - Ree seems more at ease

I also like that if something goes astray like the tater tots falling on the counter when poueing them on the platter, well shit happen ignore it,

Same w/big clump of frozen peas coming out of the bag and Ree just taking the out and puttng them to the side.

I know people rag on Rachel Way, but I don't mind if the episode isn't perfect.

• Love 1

Ree seems very humanly frazzled as the Staying home episodes proceed. I'm only up to the third one but she seems to be a little drunk or delirious in the third episode.

She's normally super calm so it's a little strange watching her have zero fs to give 😂

Understandable but strange!

• LOL 3
On 5/11/2020 at 1:49 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Ree seems very humanly frazzled as the Staying home episodes proceed. I'm only up to the third one but she seems to be a little drunk or delirious in the third episode.

She's normally super calm so it's a little strange watching her have zero fs to give 😂

Frazzled is right.  I listened to her audiobook a few years back, and watching her Staying Home episodes reminded me of what an airhead I thought she was while listening to that.  If she acts anything like she's doing in the Staying Home episodes on the usual set, I'm flabbergasted she's kept the job.  Without professional direction, she can't seem to measure out her ingredients in advance or keep her train of thought when saying what ingredient she's currently adding to the pot or bowl.  Maybe I'm watching for the wrong reasons, because I keep hoping one of the kids will follow Ladd around instead and give us some "here's what's happening on the ranch" footage while she dithers in the kitchen.  

• Love 2
On 5/11/2020 at 5:49 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I actually like this Ree, she's so much more relatable.  Not remembering an ingredient, flour flying out of the mixing bowl, scattered tater tots on the counter--now THAT is reality.

• Love 4

I'm amazed at how enjoyable the At Home episodes are compared to her usual output. The recipes are kinda vomitatious, but Ree is much more likeable and I can actually see a real relationship with her kids. I don't think I want to see stilted, hyper-perfect Ree again. This is more fun and I could use some fun these days.

• Love 3

I can’t imagine that the kids are having fun doing this.  Ree isn’t quite as fake in the quarantine episodes as she usually is, but the whole thing still comes off like an attempt at a comedy routine that no one asked for.  You can practically hear the crickets while she stands there, mugging for the camera and waiting for the laughter from the kids that just doesn’t come.  Paige(y), in particular, looks like she is absolutely finished with this.

• Love 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

You can practically hear the crickets while she stands there, mugging for the camera and waiting for the laughter from the kids that just doesn’t come.

I bet there were some serious threats made (no more paying for college) to force them to be a part of this mess.  Ree chortling at her lame humor is like a pin in my ear.

I bet "Bricey" gets a lot of grief from his friends for this - not only the fake filming but that stupid way she says his name.  This footage is not all done with a hand held camera or a phone.  There is someone professional involved as well.  There has to be an additional person taking footage of the kids doing the "filming".

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 5

I haven't noticed Bryce in any of the quarantine episodes. I think he must have told them he didn't have any intention of participating. It's always some combination of Paige, Alex, Todd, Stuart, and Mauricio (usually three or four for each show.) 

• Love 1
On 6/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, IOU Payne said:

I'm amazed at how enjoyable the At Home episodes are compared to her usual output. The recipes are kinda vomitatious, but Ree is much more likeable and I can actually see a real relationship with her kids. I don't think I want to see stilted, hyper-perfect Ree again. This is more fun and I could use some fun these days.

I totally agree. She actually seems like a normal human being! No “this will change your life”, “this will amaze you like nothing ever has” “this will..............”. I find her much more likable with her daughter filming her on the phone!

• Love 1
On 6/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, J-Man said:

I haven't noticed Bryce in any of the quarantine episodes. I think he must have told them he didn't have any intention of participating. It's always some combination of Paige, Alex, Todd, Stuart, and Mauricio (usually three or four for each show.) 

Just read how he took college courses over last summer and fall to graduate high school early - starting college this week, so probably too busy with that to participate.  

• Love 3