Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: News, Photos and More

• Start Topic

I think you're right--I doubt she'd kill off Sookie for a few reasons, first and foremost is that Edward Hermann actually died. When there are 2 major characters missing and one is missing because of their very real loss, it seems pretty strange to kill off the other character as a plot point or joke or whatever. Plus, having a young, healthy mother die seems a little dark for Gilmore Girls. 

Precisely right. It's one thing to kill off a character played by an actor who has died in real life, and it can be beautiful and respectful when done right. Killing a character off-screen played by an actor who is very much alive? Pretty strange and pretty dark. It can also come off as spiteful, if the actor in question left or is not returning to the show due to bad blood.

• Love 1
(edited)

Precisely right. It's one thing to kill off a character played by an actor who has died in real life, and it can be beautiful and respectful when done right. Killing a character off-screen played by an actor who is very much alive? Pretty strange and pretty dark. It can also come off as spiteful, if the actor in question left or is not returning to the show due to bad blood.

Shona Rymes, David E. Kelly, Chuck Lorre, Brenda Hampton have been doing it for years or completely ruin their characters due to some BS reason. Sad to say, I don't see it ending in the TV world any time soon. Also, AS-P does hate it when her ego is bruised, but I do doubt even with MM she go that far.

Edited by readster
(edited)

One theory I like is that Sookie hit the big time with a cooking show and is off doing that, which would be a nice meta parallel with Melissa McCarthy's meteoric success in real life, but that's just a theory as opposed to anything supported by spoilers. I doubt ASP would kill off Sookie; I suspect there's bad blood between ASP and MM, given the conflicting stories about MM not being asked back, but I don't think it's quite that bad.

I doubt Tristan will come back, but there's always a chance, I guess.[/quote

One theory I like is that Sookie hit the big time with a cooking show and is off doing that, which would be a nice meta parallel with Melissa McCarthy's meteoric success in real life, but that's just a theory as opposed to anything supported by spoilers. I doubt ASP would kill off Sookie; I suspect there's bad blood between ASP and MM, given the conflicting stories about MM not being asked back, but I don't think it's quite that bad.

I doubt Tristan will come back, but there's always a chance, I guess.

And what about Finn's role?

Edited by Breezy

Without knowing any more about it other than Logan and Jess are back, I imagine the writers will try to seek a balance between giving Rory some sort of ongoing romantic entanglement--because Heaven forbid that Rory be deprived of romantic attention--and letting Rory boy drama eat the series. I suspect that at the end of the revival series, she'll wind up with some sort of promising relationship with one of her past boyfriends, as unrealistic as it is, rather than ending up single (unthinkable!), or introducing someone new as an "endgame" prospect for her. However, I hope that the writers can accomplish it without any kind of love triangle tediousness or similar nonsense.

I personally want her to end up with Logan or Tristan.

Thanks for posting that here, Ms Blue Jay. The revival thread with spoilers is so active I don't know if I can resist it for another seven months...but I'll try. :).

This statement by MM is a much more comfortable explanation of whatever miscommunication took place. And her statement doesn't rule out a little surprise cameo appearance, does it?

• Love 5

Thanks for posting that here, Ms Blue Jay. The revival thread with spoilers is so active I don't know if I can resist it for another seven months...but I'll try. :).

This statement by MM is a much more comfortable explanation of whatever miscommunication took place. And her statement doesn't rule out a little surprise cameo appearance, does it?

Ah well, I guess we know what happened now. Too bad that the simple miscommunication may prevent really strong storylines from taking place.

I'm also trying to avoid the revival spoilers thread, but this thread is beginning to feel a little lonely so I don't know how much longer I will last. We need to start a spoiler-free support group! :-)

Ah well, I guess we know what happened now. Too bad that the simple miscommunication may prevent really strong storylines from taking place.

I'm also trying to avoid the revival spoilers thread, but this thread is beginning to feel a little lonely so I don't know how much longer I will last. We need to start a spoiler-free support group! :-)

Don't worry I've been reading the Spoiler Thread and you aren't missing anything really. Just mostly speculation on the few brief things we have seen which are practically nothing! 

• Love 1

hope it's not going to feel like those later seasons of The Andy Griffith Show where Barney left Mayberry because Don Knotts left the show to do movies

I hope it is not going to be like those later seasons with Andy Taylor and Miss Crump still romantically involved but not married.

I always felt after reading the ASP interview on Melissa not coming back and then reading Melissa's twitter that perhaps ASP simply assumed she wouldn't be available when she was writing the scripts and then called Melissa's folks to say if she could drop by when they were shooting, that would be great. 

I personally wouldn't hold out any hope for a cameo in this revival, better to be surprised than disappointed.  To be honest, I wouldn't hold out hope for future revivals, but it is nice to see things being expressed outside of 140 characters that can stir things up.

Don't worry I've been reading the Spoiler Thread and you aren't missing anything really. Just mostly speculation on the few brief things we have seen which are practically nothing!

Yeah, spoilers are so tight we might as well not bother with a spoiler thread!!

Michael Winters aka Taylor dropped a few spoilers during an interview with The Gilmore Guys released this week but they beeped them all out ...much to my annoyance!

Seriously.  You figure ASP must really hate the people who don't get invites. 

Yeah, I actually find it really strange that Digger is coming back, yet Liz and TJ aren't...especially given how frequently they appeared in season 6.

Melissa is a different story, to me at least.

• Love 2

DIGGER IS COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never happen. Rory will, IMO, not end up with any of her former flames. She might have a fling with Logan, but they will part on friendly terms.

My vote goes for Jess. That's the only guy I feel who has a story left to tell and I really would like see Rory and Jess together in a way that honors the great build-up that was season 2. 

I have absolutely nothing against either Logan or Tristan, I'm very fond of both characters actually, but if it was announced they wouldn't be in the revival I would have been at peace with it. Logan had almost three seasons worth of screetime and, imo, ASP told any story she'd planned for Tristan through him.

My totally unfounded guess is that he'll pop up just long enough to assure Rory (and viewers) that he's happy, holds no grudges against Rory--- who he (and all other men!) will always think is one of the most wonderful people on the planet---and to wish her well.

Hahaha...please no! 

I'd happily welcome Dean back if he were to have a scene with Lorelai. Boy, the sexual tension between them with Dean ten years older would blow up my screen!

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

I haven't been following all of the details of the revival, but this thought crossed my mind regarding Lane's kids:

Steve looks like Lane and Kwan looks like Zack. I feel like it would be something that ASP would do.

So Melissa McCarthy is definitely NOT doing a cameo or participating at all:

"And now sadly, in an interview this week with Refinery 29, McCarthy has totally shut down any possibility of an appearance by Sookie in the series, saying:

"It’s not. They didn’t ask. And once this came out, because people were starting to say, ‘Oh, you won't do it. You're too big and busy now.’ I was like, ‘No. No one invited me to the party. I didn't get a single call.’ And then after that, it was kind of, ‘Well, she'd like to do it, you guys can call us.’ I have to call and ask? And now I can’t make it happen. I thought it was the strangest thing. I am really proud of that show. I can’t wait for my kids to see it."

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3847091

Ahhh, well. I was holding out hope. I can't believe that ASP never even reached out at all. I'm actually shocked.

• Love 1
I can't believe that ASP never even reached out at all. I'm actually shocked.

She'll bring back that vacuous Life and Death Brigade bunch but not one of the key characters.  Melissa must have really pissed ASP off over something.  

ASP obviously indulges the teacher's pets of the acting world. bringing back actors that she likes even if their reappearance makes no damned sense and their story lines are stupid.

• Love 4

Melissa must have really pissed ASP off over something.  

I have no concrete reason for feeling this way, but throughout this whole weirdness, I've been under the impression that ASP has resented the fact that when MM became a big star, she didn't give ASP all the credit.

• Love 7
(edited)

I have no concrete reason for feeling this way, but throughout this whole weirdness, I've been under the impression that ASP has resented the fact that when MM became a big star, she didn't give ASP all the credit.

This makes sense. Several other careers have taken off (Lauren, Matt, Liza, etc) but they definitely all talk about Gilmore quite a bit and credit ASP with at least part of their success. Also, Melissa has surpassed all of their fame. If this is true I find it sad--ASP could have a hard time getting other stars to work with her in the future. If they know there is the risk of future alienation from a dramatic showrunner I can imagine that many may shy away from working with her.

Edited by LostWithSawyer
  • Love 2
(edited)

She'll bring back that vacuous Life and Death Brigade bunch but not one of the key characters.  Melissa must have really pissed ASP off over something.  

ASP obviously indulges the teacher's pets of the acting world. bringing back actors that she likes even if their reappearance makes no damned sense and their story lines are stupid.

She has been doing that since season 3. She brings in characters that have no point of even being in episodes because she CAN. Many people here and myself included have said and pointed out that. Dean's last appearance in the series, Marty or various members of the LADB, who had no point and does anyone remember Paris's former friends who just magically showed up at the same beach that Paris and Rory were at during Spring break and added nothing more than: "Look, we are in bikinis and our last two shows bombed horribly on NBC and ABC, yet here we are. Now, off to the bank with my $20,000 check!" 

Edited by readster
  • Love 1

Maybe ASP reached out to MM to appear at the Austin show and MM blew her off, so ASP didn't bother to approach her again for the revival. I know MM was promoting her movie, Spy, at the time, but could have cut away for a day. Personally, I don't care who did what.

(edited)

I just can't believe that DIGGER is back but Marty, Liz and TJ aren't. What?

I think Kathleen Wilhoite said something a while back that suggested there was bad blood there. As for TJ, unlike Jackson, he's not a sufficiently prominent character to warrant inclusion if his significant other has been written out.

To be fair to Marty, Lucy and Olivia aren't back, either.

Given that MM is on good terms with the other cast members, if there is bad blood I'm inclined to blame ASP.

Edited by Eyes High

BTW I am in the camp that believes this is all a ruse, and Sookie most certainly is in the series... This was just a ruse that got out of hand.

Well you're setting yourself up for disappointment. She isn't in it.

I think Kathleen Wilhoite said something a while back that suggested there was bad blood there. As for TJ, unlike Jackson, he's not a sufficiently prominent character to warrant inclusion if his significant other has been written out.

To be fair to Marty, Lucy and Olivia aren't back, either.

Given that MM is on good terms with the other cast members, if there is bad blood I'm inclined to blame ASP.

Kathleen might've simply been implying that the reasons are different because MM is a huge star though. Clearly that's not an issue with her. 

And I only mention Liz and TJ because a) there's other characters who are appearing in the revival that are much less significant and prominent than them and b) with the amount they were used in ASP's last season it's just odd she wouldn't bring them back. They had a surprising amount of screentime in season 6.

Lucy and Olivia would never be back. Amy and Dan didn't create those characters. But they did create Marty and they loved WW, so it's odd he wouldn't even have a cameo.

(edited)

My vote goes for Jess. That's the only guy I feel who has a story left to tell and I really would like see Rory and Jess together in a way that honors the great build-up that was season 2.

I hope so.  Jess is the intriguing choice as of the 3 boys, he's the only one I liked as an individual character away from Rory.  The other 2 were just Rory's boyfriends, Jess was Jess.  

Also, even if not getting together, they will always be connected through Luke and it would make sense, with their love of the literary life, if they were still connected in their careers/friendship.  

Edited by sunflower
(edited)

Well, I'll be damned, didn't see this coming at all, saw the opposite in fact!  Melissa will at least have a cameo. I think there were hurt feelings on both sides, but if they got over it, I'm over it. Or, both sides realized that neither looked good at the end of the day.  Regardless,  SOOKIE!!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Sooooo happy! It just wouldn't have been right not having Sookie in the revival. However it came together, good job on putting hurt feelings and/or egos aside for the greater good of the full dynamic of Gilmore Girls and Stars Hollow.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am way, way too excited about this! I can't believe that they all sucked it up, worked it out and made it happen! I only wish that they could have done this ages ago--now I wonder, what would the revival have been  like if Sookie was present the entire time? Jackson was already signed so I imagine that there would have been a significant plot for her. Maybe they held off shooting Jackson's scenes until the end just in case they were able to get her? It would be great if they could shoot several scenes in one day so we can see her in all 4 installments.

Assholes all around. Congrats.

LMAO! As much as I love this show, agreed. We aren't curing cancer here!

Poor, poor Liz. She really will be the only one left not invited to the party. I can't recall if TJ is signed or not?

Edited by LostWithSawyer
  • Love 1

Poor, poor Liz. She really will be the only one left not invited to the party. I can't recall if TJ is signed or not?

I don't think TJ is in it.

Wayne Wilcox (Marty) wasn't invited back either and he very much feels like a part of the GG family (the Palladinos love him, etc). Wish he was coming back esp. after his awful story in S7.

• Love 2
(edited)

Okay, I'm throwing this back out here because I'm rarely right, but I think I was back then:

Looking at ASP's interview on McCarthy, it appears she wrote the new episodes assuming that McCarthy wouldn't be available as a big part of the story (and maybe she was right) and didn't bother to ask McCarthy prior to doing that.  Rather, after the whole thing was put together talked to McCarthy's people with the "if she can drop by" notion that she would write in a cameo for McCarthy.  So, I can see both sides telling the truth, McCarthy wasn't really asked to come back and be a part of the new storyline, and ASP has talked to McCarthy's people about a Sookie cameo.  I don't know anything about drama behind the scenes in the original run, but I could see how McCarthy could feel a bit insulted or hurt to not at least be asked up front.  Do I wish she hadn't said anything in social media (sure), but maybe she was also annoyed that ASP is saying to the press that she was too busy to do it, but the door is open for a cameo. 

From ASP in the EW interview

Amy Sherman-Palladino would like Gilmore Girls fans to know there is no bad blood between her and Melissa McCarthy.

Back in early February it seemed otherwise when McCarthy, who played Gilmore’s endearingly klutzy Dragonfly chef Sookie St. James, tweeted, “… sadly no one asked me or Sookie to come back to Stars Hollow. Wish them all the best!!” Now, Sherman-Palladino is setting the record straight. “Social media makes people angry at each other for no reason,” she tells EW. “There’s nothing malicious going on.”

When Sherman-Palladino and her husband/Gilmore co-producer Daniel Palladino first pitched the revival, they were asked about McCarthy. “We’d say, ‘Look, we know you didn’t hear a Melissa McCarthy arc in here because we are not naïve enough to think we’re going to be able to grab her for 60 days of shooting,’ “ Amy recalls. “Netflix was like, ‘We’d really like Melissa.’ I said, ‘We’d really like Melissa too!’” 
Amy, who is represented by the same agency as McCarthy, says she’s been keeping tabs on her former cast member’s schedule. “I’ve been told by her people for months, ‘Can’t happen. Can’t happen. Can’t happen.’” As for whether McCarthy knows how badly Amy wants her? “This business of people and managers and reps. There are a lot of layers and you can’t really get to people and you don’t know how things are being conveyed and who’s talking on your behalf. All I can tell the fans is we love her. She was a big part of the show … There’s nothing juicy or hidden here. It’s a matter of she’s one of the top working actresses in films today and we are very proud of her.”

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1