Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Dorkus / S01.E13: The Final Girls

That was fun.

I really enjoyed this. I guessed Hester being the 2nd killer.

There are so many things I liked. I think for now I will start with my favorite 5.

1. Hester Framing the Chanels. I thought the long "Framing" scene of the three Chanels was hilarious especially when Hester brought in her "parents" and Chanel #5's parents. But every part of that worked for me.

2. The Chanel sentencing was hilarious but mostly I loved the end when the Chanel's actually loved being in the insane asylum, And Chanel #1 got herself voted queen of the Asylum.

3. Wes takes one for the team and seduces Dean Munsch and then has the best sex of his life and goes and falls in love with her.

4. The Chad Radwell/Denise Hemphill break up scene

5. Hester tells us how she did it.

Favorite three lines of dialog: (That I can remember and don't go on forever)

Chanel: "I apologize for nothing!"

Grace: "You can't kill people from a loving and a positive place."

Hester: "It also helps to be totally freakin insane"

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

I'll deviate and say I hated this ending, mostly due to the fact that Heater was probably my least favorite character (excluding Pete, the only one I was actively rooting for to die. Violently). Yeah -not going to kill again, don't hold your breath on that one

I was impressed that at least they addressed the really shitty trial. The idea that a defense attorney would do a deal check or easily break any of Hesters evidence is inconceivable, but no defense attorney... At least Grace add Zayday continued their tradition of being dumber than a plant.

I did love that the Chanel's actually liked the asylum.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this.

When Pete started with that quote, in the car, I cringed - until I realized that he was mimicking Matthew McConaughey, and laughed. 

I'll have to re-watch when I get rid of this cold, because I can't remember a few things that had me laughing out loud. Oh, yes: one was where the girls were happy in the asylum, partially because they had no boys to stay skinny for. 

Edited by Anela

I actually enjoyed this ending a lot. All of the actors were on top of their game I think. But not enough Chad Radwell! The goodbye scene between him and Denise was perfect though.

Emma Roberts was hilarious after Grace and Zayday interrupted her from killing Dorkus by telling her Hester is the killer. Her face of "oops" and line "I am SO sorry" were perfect.

Even Grace made me laugh this episode! When she asked if Wes got her a car, and he said no, she did this like "Oh, no." that got me.

• Love 7

I liked it, Lea did unhinged and hilarious really well. I don't ask for much honestly, it made me laugh a decent amount so I was pleased. Lea Michele will probably be criticized with people coming for her saying "Of course she was the killer. Ryan Murphy's fave always gets what she wants" but screw it, she was good. I didn't see a hint of Rachel Berry personally, so good for her.

• Love 5

I thought it was fun.

Lea Michele was great as Hester in this one, from the voice overs, to her and The Dean blackmailing each other to the still crazed look in her eyes. The idea  Chanel still put her foot in their mouth to get them to be found guilty seemed ridiculous appropriate.

Surprised they didn't squeeze a Chad scene in the first part  but even so his and Denise's s good bye was worth the wait.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

Chad/Denise's breakup scene made up for them missing the previous episode. It made the finale for me. Dang did Powell and Nash go for it to hilarious effect. Chad was as in on a woman as he could be, but Denise had to heed the call to duty. I vote for S2 to be Special Agent Denise's FBI adventures with her sidekick fiancé Chad.

Poor Boone. Neither his sister nor Gigi liked him very much. He had family in Chad who loved him like crazy but he was all up in the revenge game. At least we know it was Pete that killed him and not Hester. Speaking of Pete, really dude? You really were a douche.

Loved the final hour starting with Hester's POV on how she got away with it. Her fake parents and then buying off Chanel 5's parents was a great twist.

Sad thing is a lot of people had to either not give a eff (Dean Munsch admitting Hester to the college) or lose brain cells not to realize that the girl acting like Columbo/Jesica Fletcher may be the one who done it. ZayDay and Grace being taken in by Hester was laughable. Denise's deputized stripper cops arresting everyone was gold.

I'd watch a season two. If they pick up with the same characters I'm thinking the girls are being hunted down in the asylum and /or break out break out with Denise as head FBI agent hunting down 'those dumb ass hos' to take them back downtown.

Edited to add: According to the live tweet in Chad's press conference scene, the actor's mom was sitting in the front row. Too cute.

Edited by TobinAlbers

I'll have to think on this one.  I saw an interview somewhere towards the beginning of the season with Murphy that there were only going to be four survivors so I was expecting a bloodbath.  It was so different tonally than what I expected that I had tough time adjusting.  I thought Hester's explanation of how she did it dragged.  But I did really like that the Chanels were happier in the asylum.

• Love 5

I liked it, Lea did unhinged and hilarious really well. I don't ask for much honestly, it made me laugh a decent amount so I was pleased. Lea Michele will probably be criticized with people coming for her saying "Of course she was the killer. Ryan Murphy's fave always gets what she wants" but screw it, she was good. I didn't see a hint of Rachel Berry personally, so good for her.

The glee resentment is real and deep and sort of ridiculous.   But i regress.

As you said she did a good job with the role so that is what should matter.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

The glee resentment is real and deep and sort of ridiculous.   But i regress.

Haha, you know how it is. It's unavoidable with certain sections of the ex-Glee viewers. 

The first season of SQ certainly had its highs and lows, but characters like Hester, Chad, and Denise among others made it enjoyable and entertaining for me to watch.

• Love 2

I honestly wish this was the ending that Scream 4 had gone with.

The Pete scenes felt very Scream-ish.  As for Scream 4, it was disappointing tbh, but Emma Roberts was at least entertaining in that movie.

While The Chanels are horrible people led by the worst of them Chanel No 1 it still sucks that Hester got away with it and Grace and Zayday were right that she was the killer but then they drop it cause her BS was so Believeable SMH. And man oh man were the Chanels parents horrible people as well. Really hope this gets a season 2

• Love 4

And maybe the reason Chanel was such a bitch all the time because she really was just hungry? She was all happy in the mental place and she was eating!

Anyways, as much as I was not a fan of Lea Michele in Glee, she did okay with this. I'm not surprised she was killer, for one, Hester was very unhinged and two, Hester was very much in the background, I mean sure, she got a few episodes and the last couple of ones but for this being a Ryan Murphy show and he does love Lea, so I always thought there was more to the character. I have no resentment towards Ryan having her as a favorite, he clearly has them,  Emma is a favorite of his as well. I knew what I was getting when I signed up for this show. But Hester was somewhat entertaining at times. 

I still love earmuffs Chanel, though. She was my favorite throughout this show.

The ending was kind of good, I guess. The show was many things and always seemed to need to find what it wanted to be but here we are. I will watch another season because it was what it was: mindless cotton candy. Unlike many of my other shows, I didn't worry about it's characters too much, I just watched for an hour each week and that was fun.

• Love 1

I didn't know how they were going to end this if it ended up being Hester, but them just going full on funny made it work for me. Of course Chanel talks herself into a conviction. Chad Radwell and Denise Hemfield's break up was glorious. I know it was obligatory to have JLC be the one who knew, especially when Zayday and Grace had the same info, but her and Hester blackmailing each other was good. I still have a hard time believing that Grace and Zayday were so easily swayed, and was half expecting them to trap Hester, or ban her, or something, but I can let it go since it was a really good ending in my opinion.

Idk how, but I know Chanel will survive. I'm sure it'll be something as ridiculous as having stolen a lunch tray, or Chanel #3's girlfriend having smuggled in a golf club or something. So I really hope there's another season and we get to see more of these characters.

Edited by william0102

I honestly wish this was the ending that Scream 4 had gone with.

I'm guessing you might already know this, hence the reference, but the original ending of Scream 4 was that Jill got away with everything, and everyone thought she was a hero. That would have been better than what we got.

If we get another season, isn't this show going the route of AHS and being an anthology series? New characters/new setting? I thought I read that somewhere.

Apparently it will be a different setting with some new characters, but the surviving characters will be back.

I was expecting the finale to be a full-on bloodbath, so I was surprised that almost everyone survived. I can't imagine that all of these actors will be back for Season 2, especially since RM initially said that only a few of them would. I think it's pretty much a guarantee that Emma and Lea will be back, since RM loves both of them. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Edited by mack6986
  • Love 2

While The Chanels are horrible people led by the worst of them Chanel No 1 it still sucks that Hester got away with it and Grace and Zayday were right that she was the killer but then they drop it cause her BS was so Believeable SMH.

#1 and #5 certainly are, but I think #3 might have been the most decent human being on screen. She wasn't evil - just oblivious. I'd rather spend the day with her than any of the "good" guys.

• Love 5

#1 and #5 certainly are, but I think #3 might have been the most decent human being on screen. She wasn't evil - just oblivious. I'd rather spend the day with her than any of the "good" guys.

I liked her, too. 

• Love 2

I was overall disapointed that Hester got away with framing the Chanel's, and bland boring bitches grace and zayday were left alive and well.  The finale had it's funny moments, but I guess what I really wanted was a darker ending (perhaps with Boone coming back to life again, the dean turning out to be an immortal banshee, lots of people dying in one final confrontation...)  Hester screechily making up more dumb lies (she was not smarter then Boone, as her transcript listing sweet valley high and sesame street proves, lol...) was not dark, just obnoxious.  After that part, I did find a lot to enjoy.

Despite the ending scene, I'd still much rather see Chanel #1 get out of there and join the cast next season then many of the other 'survivors.'  Chanel is so much fun, and Hester used to be fun too, until she revealed that actually her real ambition is to be just like Grace and Zayday... And her plan wasn't actually to avenge her mother either, since very few of those actually responsible were hit.  And yes, if you claim to be "the brains" of the operation, then you are responsible for all those murders of totally innocent/unrelated to the original crime people.  If Hester is on the show next season, then at least she won't get away with it; I take it that eventually, the truth will come out. 

RM was originally claiming that only like 3-5 characters would be left alive for the next season.  But instead there's like 10.  So I guess some people will just be written out, which is a lot less fun then the original idea.

For what it's worth, I did want Scream 4 to end with the real killer getting away with it all.  But I found this less good.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 2

I'm guessing you might already know this, hence the reference, but the original ending of Scream 4 was that Jill got away with everything, and everyone thought she was a hero. That would have been better than what we got.

Exactly. Hester gets away with it, and gets to be the darling psycho with a happy ending where everybody loves her. That is basically the ending that they set up, and that they chickened out on in Scream 4. I like Hester getting away with it, especially if this is the end.

I loved that Chanel was happy in the insane asylum ala Girl Interrupted.

Did Oliver put on like 15 pounds for the part? I was kind of surprised at his Dad-bod...I could've sworn he was more ripped during Rules of Engagement so I was surprised. In any event, that was hilarious. Oliver really is pretty funny.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5

I wasn't sure how this was going to end, so I wasn't expecting anything in particular. I guess the ending was oK, but it felt more like a series ending than a season ending.

• Love 1

This was amusing but unfulfilling. Sometimes the campiness was a bit excessive and ridiculous. 

I guess I shouldn't have expected better of Grace falling for Hester's lies when a simple DNA test could have proved or disproved the bath tub baby backstory.

If there is a season 2 I may watch it for Chad hilarity but I've lost interest in 90% of the other characters. I miss Boone. He was hilarity.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 4

If there is a season 2 I may watch it for Chad hilarity but I've lost interest in 90% of the other characters. I miss Boone. He was hilarity.

Underwelming and lame. Fox please do not renew.

Winners

Jamie Lee Curtis- even with stupid stories she was a delight to have on screen. Get her a series stat.

Billie Lourd- interesting newcome before I knew who her mom was.

Emma Roberts- Everyone seems to hate her but she is in her element here.

Nicey Nash- I was aware of her from "getting on" but she knocked it out of the park here.

Glenn Powell- yeh, Fox, get him something now.

Losers

Skyler Samuels- god, she was so boring and did nothing with the character, I think her 5 minutes of fame are over.

Diego Boneta - Same as above and I was sick to death of his impression by episode two.

Abigal Breslen- sorry you were clearly the largest girl there (so it was hard to take her as a minion) and did nothing but run around looking upset.

I am netrual on everyone else.  This kind of show imho never works anymore because the show runners can cheat by not giving the audience enough information to actually guess and misdirecting off screen in interviews. So I don't bother playing. I watched mostly for the funny bits.

• Love 3

minion - a follower or underling of a powerful person, especially a servile or unimportant one.

A minion has nothing to do with size.

Whatever, there is no way the selfish size obsessed Chanell would ever have chosen or kept a minion that was on the larger side.

• Love 1

I was fine with the ending.  Nether bowled over or dissappointed.

I could have used more Chad though.  His end scene with Denise was pure magic.  They were my favorite character by a long shot.

I think Denise going to the FBI is spot on.  She would probably be at the top of her class (I'm looking at you Quantico).

• Love 3

This finale really exceeded my expectations. I'm usually underwhelmed by finales, especially when they're big reveals of the mystery of the entire season. Finding out Hester was the other red devil wasn't surprising, but I thought the episode was really well written and just tied everything up so nicely. Plus it had a lot of hilarious moments. 

I loved Chad and Denise's breakup scene, obviously, as well as the Chanels loving the asylum at the end. The other scene I really liked that hasn't been mentioned here as much was Dean Munsch and Hester's blackmail agreement. I loved how it was all dark and menacing, and then JLC was just like, "OK!" and they were cheerful again. I also actually laughed out loud (which I never do when watching tv alone) when JLC said the face of the girl baby was burned into her memory, like Joe Theismann's injury and 2 Girls 1 Cup.

For this show in general, I thought the premiere episode kind of sucked, then I started to enjoy it more as it went on, but the finale was definitely my favorite episode, like by far.

• Love 2

Glen Powell said  he was not in the finale much because they had to work aorund him filming for a movie.

He actually flew in from  Jordan to filmed the two scenes he had. 

• Love 2

Did Oliver put on like 15 pounds for the part? I was kind of surprised at his Dad-bod...I could've sworn he was more ripped during Rules of Engagement so I was surprised. In any event, that was hilarious. Oliver really is pretty funny.

I wasn't impressed at Oliver Hudson at all until last night's episode.  He displayed such humility and a sense of humor by doing that scene, and as a result the scene totally worked.  I now admire him as an actor.  One complaint:  He starts off with tight black briefs and ends up with loose plaid boxers.  What's up?

• Love 3

HOT DAMN SHAZAMM!!!!   I have loved this from beginning to end!  I was entertained the whole way through.  Sure there were parts that could have been better, but I just wanted to be entertained, and I was. I liked how it began and ended with "Waterfalls".   I will never be able to hear that song now without thinking of Denise and Chad!

I liked the ending, I figured it could have been Hester, but I was hoping for something a bit different.  I wasn't disappointed through.  I like the explanation, and poor Chanel #5 having her parents just turn on her like that!  Earmuff Chanel was my fav Chanel, I'm glad she found love in the mental ward!  I hope if there is a season 2 it is just as campy fun as this season was.  This was actually a show I couldn't wait to watch every week.

• Love 1

This was amusing but unfulfilling. Sometimes the campiness was a bit excessive and ridiculous. 

This perfectly crystallizes how I felt about the conclusion. 

I have had no prior real exposure to Lea Michele outside of her hardcore try hard posing at Hollywood events and premieres as I never watched Glee but I thought she did a really good job as Hester. She does well with unhinged. 

Loved Chad and Denise. 

Niecy Nash is always incredible, however, I will admit that I have been a little uncomfortable at times with how the character is mired in stereotypes. I think my biggest laugh of the night was in the accusation scene when Hester reveals that Earmuffs is the daughter of Charles Manson and Denise stands up and says 'uh what now!' It was such a small throwaway reaction line but the delivery was EVERYTHING!!! I must have rewound about 3 times. 

I was feeling some kind of way about poor Abigail Breslin. I think she had such a thankless role and was just shat on the entire season. Even though it was intended towards her character it still felt a bit personal because there seemed to be some weight and looks zingers. 

One complaint:  He starts off with tight black briefs and ends up with loose plaid boxers.  What's up?

Yeah, I thought that was super weird if only because they made such a big deal of showing in the black briefs during the seduction scene.

• Love 1

After watching this I realized how much i get Ryan Murphy: Between this and AHS; Hell you can even throw in the first couple seasons of Glee I just get his humor.

I know a lot of people loved Niecy Nash but I didn't get her until this episode during her break up with Chad Radwell. That was just beatiful. I had a vision of him bringing her home to his awful family. That would have been awesome.

Sadly the only real weak points were Grace and Zayday but I think they did well enough during the final episode to be passable. They were just boring with all the characters on the show: the lack of personality started to show.

You know what?! The only thing I didn't like about the finale was the final shot of the Red Devil standing over Chanel in the asylum. I thought it was needlessly cheap.

StillAwesome season. Awesome show. If it comes back so will I.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Glen Powell said  he was not in the finale much because they had to work aorund him filming for a movie.

He actually flew in from  Jordan to filmed the two scenes he had. 

Ah, makes sense why his scenes weren't with the main crew. Betting they had filmed the bulk of the finale with him coming in at the end to do scenes to be inserted at the end. If they didn't get those scenes done it was no biggie since in the scheme of things, nothing about Chad's scenes affected the plot but it did allow a wrap up of him and Denise (which was probably something they knew the fans would want to see) and a final Chad 'Dickie Dollars' Radwell moment with him honoring all his bros and getting in one last doofy douche moment. 'All the charities' LOL

I will also give props to Emma Roberts for this season. Whatever her personal issues, she played the hell out of Chanel and between the script and the performance she hit it out of the park.

Also it was cool that the pizza delivery guy actor was the actor who played the Red Devil in costume all season. He also played rubber guy in season 1 of AHS.

About Wes changing underwear, I fanwank that Munsch shredded the tighty black ones and so Wes had to use a pair of boxers left behind by some other old conquest who left in a hurry.

• Love 3

I had a vision of him bringing her home to his awful family. That would have been awesome.

There are no words.  No I have one - EPIC!  What would be even more hilarious is if his awful family loved her and the scene ended with a jolly round of family Pictionary.

All in all, I enjoyed the show, once they decided what they were going for (horror or camp).  Camp won the day and they had a great cast for it.  Even Ollie pulled it out for the win in the finale - he was hilarious.  Emma was Emmy-worthy in this.  She really was.  I also really like the passing of the torch to Billie Lourd and will check her out in other things.  JLC needs more work.  Period.  I loved her young and I love her old.  She's great!  Niecey and Chad were just pure comedy gold.  How anybody, cast or crew, made it through that scene, I don't know.  Especially the real tears in Chad's red, crying eyes!  LOL LOL LOL!!  Don't go chasing Waterfalls, baby.  Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

If they do another season, I hope the writers feel more comfortable with their material and go full steam ahead.  Much of this season felt like everybody was holding back, but in the last few episodes, they got let off their leashes and went full throttle and it was really good and memorable.

• Love 3

Whatever, there is no way the selfish size obsessed Chanell would ever have chosen or kept a minion that was on the larger side.

Chanel #5 isn't even big. She's just larger than the other girls, all of whom are twigs. And she's pretty, so I have no problem believing that Chanel would allow her into the clique.
  • Love 3

Sort of agree with the recap.

Some parts were funny and some parts just fell flat, especially with the endless Peter explanation narrative.

Overall, It was lame to have so many characters put on the Red Devil outfit, seemed to me like lazy ass narrative red herrings.

Again, those who can do comedy (Lea, Neicy and Glen) were dead on in their delivery.

Did like the fate of the Chanells.

• Love 1

You got a point lol but yeah of the "Good guys" I'm glad Grace and Zayday are still alive same with Denise I could hang with any of those girls

Chanel #5 isn't even big. She's just larger than the other girls, all of whom are twigs. And she's pretty, so I have no problem believing that Chanel would allow her into the clique.

Not just pretty, but one of the girls from extreme wealth (that's what tipped the scales, pardon the well placed pun).  But her size is probably the reason Chanel was so merciless with her.

There were things I liked about this show and things I didn't like. I agree with a lot of the previously tv recap in that Ryan thought this show was something else when really it wasn't.  I do however think it's probably going to get a second season, though.  Even if the ratings weren't what people expected, I still think it's going to get another season. 

• Love 2