Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Dorkus / S01.E13: The Final Girls

I haven't watched one episode of this show since the Pilot and I don't feel like I missed much but last night, I got sucked into the second hour just because I'm always a sucker for the "here's how I did it" murder confession. It was okay but the one time I truly laughed out loud was during the judge's speech to the Chanels and explaining why he believed they were without question crazy. The actor's delivery was awesome. 

• Love 3

Sadly the only real weak points were Grace and Zayday but I think they did well enough during the final episode to be passable. They were just boring with all the characters on the show: the lack of personality started to show.

Shouldn't this be "Dumb Ass Grace" and "Stupid Zayday" ?  ;)

• Love 3

I gotta admit, I actually really liked the finale and was fairly satisfied with how it ended. Although I had other candidates for the Red Devil in mind that I wanted (Pete, Chanel #5), I think Hester was a good (and probably the easiest) choice to make Boone's sister and the Red Devil. You see, I thought it would be too obvious to have Lea Michele as the RD, but I guess not. 

I was actually loving Pete for the very first time. I really think Diego was having fun playing unhinged and crazed. I felt like he did anyway for the whole ten minutes of his scene until he got killed off. It's the first thing they gave Pete that was interesting (besides his impressions and his short repetition scene with Denise in the 4th episode). Plus, I also liked Grace because, hell, I think I'd react like she did. But then she became boring again as well as stupid. I'm sorry, but Hester managing to convince everyone that it was the Chanels? Though hilarious, it totally wouldn't work in real life. I know, I know this is a show that's ridiculous anyway, but her framing Chanel #3 was laughable because her evidence against her was more circumstantial. At least with Chanel #5, it could have made sense. Even Chanel was framed better than #3. I guess Ryan couldn't think of better evidence against #3.

Chad and Denise's breakup was hilarious. I was never sold on Denise, but I actually really loved her in that scene. Overall, Chad and Chanel #3 were my favourites of the season. Zayday started off as potentially interesting but her friendship with Grace put me off of her pretty quickly. Chanel got really annoying at times, and Chanel #5 could have worked if she ended up being a RD or something, instead of just a weepy, whiny girl for the season. Wes was really only good at parts, like this episode with his seduction of Dean Munsch. I literally laughed out loud. Dean Munsch was good at parts too, but like Chanel, got annoying and over the top. Though I LOVED her scene with Hester at the end. I thought that gave her layers that weren't really there. Hester was good, even though predictable that she could have been RD. 

If there is a season 2, I'm ok with either having new characters and a new storyline, or following the Chanels with their escape from the asylum and RD following them once more. Though, more Chanel #3, because she was really the best. 

• Love 2

I hung in there all season. There were glimmers of excellence. All in all, though, I thought it fell flat. It was worth the watch, though, for the tiny funny moments sprinkled throughout.

However, this show did teach me that I would watch Jamie Lee Curtis do anything. She's wonderful. Other than Curtis, the star of the show was Niecy Nash, who is such a freaking riot that I just can't handle it. Her final goodbye scene - hilarious. She's a treasure.

I had big hopes for the actress who played Grace - she was in the 9 Lives of Chloe King, which I loved, and I thought she was great in it. But she was flat here, and never got much better.

• Love 1

Chanel #3 was really the unsung hero of this whole show, if you ask me. Plus, she's the only character I would hang out with. She made me laugh constantly,even when things probably weren't meant to be funny, just her deadpan expressions were.  

• Love 6

No. Just lack of personality issues. On a show where everyone else had them not having one kinda showed.

Definitely, I can see what they were going for, it just didn't work and it was better without them.

I haven't watched one episode of this show since the Pilot and I don't feel like I missed much but last night, I got sucked into the second hour just because I'm always a sucker for the "here's how I did it" murder confession. It was okay but the one time I truly laughed out loud was during the judge's speech to the Chanels and explaining why he believed they were without question crazy. The actor's delivery was awesome.

I loved that too. I also loved how, after Chanel called him Judge Mathis and Judge Joe Brown, he called her "Ms. Hilton." LOL

Other things I loved:

Chad and Denise, especially when she asked him if he wanted to look back at it.

Zayday's annoyed expression after Denise accused her AGAIN.

Chanel's missive...I can't be the only one who remembers this:http://gawker.com/5994974/the-most-deranged-sorority-girl-email-you-will-ever-read

Emma Roberts was amazing in this for me all season but that missive and her voiceover were hilarious.

Wes getting sprung.

Hester being full-on crazy and explaining how she did it.

Number 5's parents and their disgust with their former daughter.

The Chanels actually eating.

I can see how others would find it unsatisfying but I enjoyed it. I'm in for season 2, especially if Emma Roberts and Neicy Nash are there.

• Love 5

Wow, that email. I read the entire thing in Chanel's voice and it was perfect.

I loved the finale and really hope this show gets a second season, with the Chanels, Chad (it will go to all the charities! I have nothing!) and Denise. Scrap Grace and Zayday. Zay started out strong but was equally boring by the end.

Loved the Hester and Dean showdown and mutual agreement to just move on.

• Love 1

Is it just me, or did it seem like Niecy Nash was on the verge of losing it at the end of her scene with Chad Radwell? As she's walking away she's covering her mouth like she's crying, but it seemed more like she was trying to cover that she was cracking up.

I kind of hope that's true, and that she and Glenn Powell were just riffing off each other for the scene. 

• Love 4

Wow.  What a fun ride.  I enjoyed this more than I expected to.

-- When Chanel was reading her missive and the words were written on the scenery was so interesting to me.  Clever

-- When Chad took one last look at Denise and she hunched into the sexay pose.  I laughed out loud and that never happens when I am alone.

I look forward to another season and don't mind if it is anthology and we don't see any of the same characters again.  As long as we have some of the same actors I'm in!

• Love 3

I do have to give credit to the show for finally getting #3 to wear her hair in side buns (during the court scene), since she wouldn't have access to earmuffs in jail.

Also a shout out to her mom as Princess Leia.  LOL funny.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3

I may be the minority but aside from a few scenes I was not happy with the way it all ended.

I don't care one way or another but I thought her pointing out the killers exposition went on too long, I honestly got bored. Love Jamie Lee but was grossed out by Grace's Dad seducing the dean, not sure why.

Screechy or not I thought Emma Roberts portrayed the gross rich Chanel perfectly. Her attitude and mannerisms were spot on to me.

Loved, loved the breakup scene between Chad and Denise, wish they had been in more of this finale. Not perfect but good enough if it is renewed I will watch next season.

• Love 2

I loved the ending though I felt sorry for poor Chanel #3; she never did anything maliciously.

I laughed out loud at the press conference scene when Chad couldn't understand that he would have to designate a specific charity. Also when Pete was grabbing things to run DNA and he was dressed in a pink dressing gown and pink slippers.

Oh Chad, go after Denise. You know she's the right woman for you.

• Love 2

I thought the finale was boring. It mostly felt like one long explanation. I liked Chad and Denise and I liked that the Chanel's ended up liking the asylum or whatever it was. Apart from that it was pretty forgettable. I liked most of the season though so I'm kind of hoping that the show gets renewed. It was entertaining and funny for the most part and I like the idea of the next season being set at summer camp. 

I am kinda of sad we get loads of murders for the final episode. We only got two. One main character and a side character. Even if they were going to kill extras, it should have been more than 1 extra dead. It would have heighten the danger some Chanel's were in. 

I mean the episodes was okay just not great. 

I think I liked it better because it wasn't a bloodiest. That would have been too easy and too predictable. Instead Hester had an actual workable plan that went beyond just killing everyone. It's why Boone and Gigi had to die because they were more interested in bloodletting.

I thought the ending was clever because Hester got everything she wanted without having to kill anyone. Didn't she tell Dean Munsch the only innocent she actually killed was Pete and even he wasn't exactly innocent either.

I thought the ending was clever. Well until the last shot. That I thought was stupid.

Edited by Chaos Theory

The one good thing is we are spared any more Diego Boneta's Matthew McConaughey impressions. For those alone Peter deserved a violent death.

He did one in the flashback/exposition of them in the car when Grace supposes the rd had the right idea.

Yeah, I didn't like the last shot. I would have just preferred for Chanel to go to sleep and be happy in the mental asylum. 

Pretty sure Chanel didn't die it could have been a dream. 

I think I liked it better because it wasn't a bloodiest. That would have been too easy and too predictable. Instead Hester had an actual workable plan that went beyond just killing everyone. It's why Boone and Gigi had to die because they were more interested in bloodletting.

I thought the ending was clever because Hester got everything she wanted without having to kill anyone. Didn't she tell Dean Munsch the only innocent she actually killed was Pete and even he wasn't exactly innocent either.

Hester was for sure trying to downplay her part in the killing spree. She actually said Pete was the only student she killed and then went on to say he was a killer though.

I hated the fist part of the 2nd episode. But it's my pet peeve.

I hate with a passion of thousands od suns the trope when people accuse and frame other people. (another thing I hate is body swap and trying to screw each other over during it)

So I can't appreciate it as much as many of you do.

I liked everything else though, except... NEED. MORE. CHAD!!!!!

I haven't seen this actor anywhere before, but I wanna see more of him! So if there is a second season, he MUST be in it. (and his family, Thanksgiving was one of the best episodes I've seen on TV this year, maybe longer)

One of the dangling plotlines for me was the missing body of the fryer victim Ms. Bean, was that ever explained?

All of the "missing" bodies ended up being displayed in that house on Halloween.

I thought at first perhaps Chanel #1 was staging a mass suicide near the end when they all drank their purple prune juice.  It felt very much like a "drink your Kool-aid and follow me" moment and when she was walking past them all sleeping I thought they were dead.

I enjoyed the show overall and will watch again if it comes back.

What - no love for the gag of the garter snake in a sweater? I LOL'd at that. Poor little snake.

Other than that, I thought the final episode was too long and somewhat boring...especially Hester's drawn-out accusations about the Chanels. I did like the Chanels in the asylum, though.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this, probably one of my favourite episodes of the season. Hester's elaborate accusations of the Chanel's was a bit long winded and I felt so sorry for Chanel #5 with her parents just being ok to go along with disowning her and saying what a terrible person she is.. I also never thought "Wow, #5 is overweight and there's no way Chanel would choose her as a minion". I didn't even consider her to be overweight. I think Chanel mostly needed girls that would do whatever she told them to.

I like how Chanel #3 just accepted the story Hester gave her. It all makes sense! And she seemed happy to be carted off to jail, and then the mental asylum because I guess that is where Dirty Helen belongs. Plus this is what Dirty Helen wears:

CVw_UdXXIAAMao1.jpg

She was definitely my favourite character and I hope she's back in season 2, or on another show.

The Denise and Chad ending was sad.. poor Chad, this is what happens when you go chasing waterfalls. I wonder if he'll ever visit Chanel in the asylum, or maybe now that Hester is 'normal' he's free to bang her.

All in all, a good ending to the season. I like that it wrapped everything up.

• Love 1

Kiki Palmer said the answer would be the most obvious one. And Hester was.

If they bring back this show it HAS to be an entire new cast.

I thought Gigi was the most obvious from the pilot.

Technically all we know from the pilot about Hester was she wore a neck-brace, was a History major who smelled like hit  dog and dressed bad.

And to bring in a whole new cast after they deliberately left so many alive would be an odd choice. 

Edited by tom87

I'm more with the recap. Too much ridiculous senseless RM-patented "when in doubt as to how to get out of a plot corner realistically, FARCE!", nonsense, which was only exemplified to the point of pain this last hour. (Snake in a sweater - landed. Chanel sasses the jury out of its NG verdict? - face-splatting failure to land due to infuriating nitwittery.) Stuck with it to see what happened, wouldn't tune in for a second season.  With any cast, now that I know it's typical RM of the vein I loathe.

Edited by queenanne

Hester was sort of obvious for me by the second hour of the pilot, just because that's when she started talking about "death" and how it intrigued her. 

Why I said technically she wasn't much of a suspect in the pilot, which was the name of the first episode.

Edited by tom87

I thought they were doing the same thing AHS does: same actors, different story.

That is what has been said,  Different murderer/story, different seeing but some of the same characters as oppose to the same actors playing different characters.

Edited by tom87

Chanel #3 was really the unsung hero of this whole show, if you ask me. Plus, she's the only character I would hang out with. She made me laugh constantly,even when things probably weren't meant to be funny, just her deadpan expressions were.

Agreed. I think her reactions in the court scene were my favorite part of the entire episode.
  • Love 1

A little late to the party.  Thoughts on the finale:

• Way more deaths required. Too many people survived. Chanel #5, Zayday, and Grace were all expendable. (Chad, Denise and Chanel #3 were the only ones worth saving)
  • Chanel #3 owns me.
  • Speaking of #3, we no longer do "number 2" in my household, it is now "number 3". Thanks for that.
  • I know Emma R. and Lea M. have their haters, but I thought they played these roles brilliantly.
  • Chad also owns me.
  • I thought the changing underwear bit was on purpose. It was so ridiculous it couldn't have been an accident.
  • For me, Chanel #5's weight only became an issue because the actress seemed to lack the confidence required for the role.  She wasn't awkward because she was overweight, she was awkward because she could not pull it off and that made her weight more apparent. Another actress could have been the same weight and rocked the role.
  • Love 1

• For me, Chanel #5's weight only became an issue because the actress seemed to lack the confidence required for the role.  She wasn't awkward because she was overweight, she was awkward because she could not pull it off and that made her weight more apparent. Another actress could have been the same weight and rocked the role.

Considering the only things Original Chanel ever said to #5 was senseless belittling, it'd be pretty astonishing if she had any confidence.   Queen bees being constantly belittled is not confidence raising, and totally on the writing team.  Along with Original Chanel belittling them, no one outside the group was ever shown in awe of or looking up to the Chanels.

Considering the only things Original Chanel ever said to #5 was senseless belittling, it'd be pretty astonishing if she had any confidence.   Queen bees being constantly belittled is not confidence raising, and totally on the writing team.  Along with Original Chanel belittling them, no one outside the group was ever shown in awe of or looking up to the Chanels.

Hard to explain what I mean, but I was more referring to the actress rather than the character.  I understand she was supposed to be the "lesser" Chanel, but the actress missed the mark for me and that only highlighted her other "flaws."

I had no problem with Abigail because I figured that awkwardness and almost uncomfortable in her own skin feeling I got from her fit the character. She wasn't my favorite but  I found her interesting because of that oddness.

• Love 2

Abigail Breslin was always a pretty skinny kid who suddenly got this curvy size 10(4? Yeah, fucking right) body. Her awkwardness makes sense. It's pretty funny. She's trying to do slinky, sexy roles (see her in The Final Girls, where she's playing an assassin with a Lolita vibe), but it's not really working yet.