Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

18 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Mainly Rachael and Lawrence.  I like Joy too.  No Greta. 

What were they thinking when they signed Greta?  Her delivery and waxy presence are so off-putting.  Not to mention she's a $cientologist, which brings her credibility into question.

MSNBC is my default network, now that Food Network has loaded their schedule with stuff I just don't find interesting - but I mute the audio from 3-4pm Pacific and clean house.  I didn't need to do that when Heilman and Halprin (?) were on.

• Love 10

Joy Ann Reid's twitter feed has been active all night, and we can expect her AM Joy on Sunday to be devoted to the immigrant ban.  She is reaching out on a lot of angles.  She is also reporting on Bannon being added to the National Security Council, removing the Joint Chiefs of Staff and removing the Director of National Intelligence.  http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-signs-order-to-revamp-national-security-council-1485641329  (article has a paywall, but you can read this much -- I wanted to confirm this myself).  It is really time for the Republican majorities to stand up to this.   

But sheeesh, here we are again with MSNBC cutting away from breaking news to show us LockUp.  There are protests going on all night at major airports. 

• Love 9

You got that right.  And it is only 9:00 PM on the West Coast, and thousands are streaming to the Seattle airport to protest, including every elected official from Governor to Congresspeople to Mayor to many more.  It is massive and growing as I write this.  But MSNBC has LockUp.

Dear MSNBC:  This is what "BREAKING NEWS" looks like.  Yes, you have to leave your social life to cover this, sorry it is inconvenient.  Why do you only use that banner when it is convenient? 

8 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

It's past midnight on the East Coast...but Twitter is lit up with all the things going down, even in the past few hours. So I've decided to tune into MSNBC and watch...a show about people behind bars!?!

Edited by jjj
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, jjj said:

Joy Ann Reid's twitter feed has been active all night, and we can expect her AM Joy on Sunday to be devoted to the immigrant ban.  She is reaching out on a lot of angles.  She is also reporting on Bannon being added to the National Security Council, removing the Joint Chiefs of Staff and removing the Director of National Intelligence.  http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-signs-order-to-revamp-national-security-council-1485641329  (article has a paywall, but you can read this much -- I wanted to confirm this myself).  It is really time for the Republican majorities to stand up to this.   

But sheeesh, here we are again with MSNBC cutting away from breaking news to show us LockUp.  There are protests going on all night at major airports. 

Good for the Washington Post for digging out the Bannon news and Joy for bringing it to MSNBC and pointing out that the exec branch is largely being run by three men--Bannon, Flynn and Stephen Miller--who were never elected to anything and who never had to be confirmed by the Senate. This is a scary amount of power to men of this background and good to see its not remaining "under the radar". 

Lawrence, Joy, Chris H and about 75% of Rachel are still superior to most of what is available with CNN (they have the journalistic and global resources, but choose to dilute them with the ridiculous political panelists). I don't know why MSNBC doesn't seem to have much access to NBC worldwide coverage. Seems like that would be a good way to justify the expense and promote the NBC Nightly News global coverage, but other than an occasional piece from Richard Engel and one or two others, there's just not much, even during the daytime programming which is less opinion and more straight news.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

Sometimes it seems like NBC would like to forget MSNBC exists. 

Mission fucking accomplished.

Like all upthread, I've been appalled by the lack of coverage. I got home last night eager to see "Breaking News" not Dateline. And this white bread wave the flag approach to what they consider news is beyond troubling.

I was thrilled to hear RevAl this morning. 

Most of us find other sources but people tuning in for LockUp  won't know anything is happening!!! Even if they cared.

If they dismantle the evening lineup ... ... my had just spun.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Mission fucking accomplished.

Like all upthread, I've been appalled by the lack of coverage. I got home last night eager to see "Breaking News" not Dateline. And this white bread wave the flag approach to what they consider news is beyond troubling.

I was thrilled to hear RevAl this morning. 

Most of us find other sources but people tuning in for LockUp  won't know anything is happening!!! Even if they cared.

If they dismantle the evening lineup ... ... my had just spun.

If they dismantle the evening lineup then this network is dead to me, complete and total. 

• Love 12

Director of National Security and the Chairman of the Joint Military Chiefs have been downgraded from the White House Security Council and will no longer have permanent seats at the table.  Steve Bannon, Trump's favorite white-supremacist, will have a permanent seat.

I know MSNBC has reported this.  But this is a much bigger story, than the couple of minutes that they have spent on this.  You have 12-24 hours to report news - use it wisely.

Steve Bannon, a white supremacist, is advising the lunatic with his finger on the bomb on national security matters.

I am rethinking my atheism - Sweet Jesus I need to get drunk.

• Love 19
14 hours ago, jjj said:

MSNBC is planning to cancel Lockup after this season. I was surprised that they ignored what was going on.

11 hours ago, Jaded said:

Sometimes it seems like NBC would like to forget MSNBC exists. 

I think NBC dumped Brian Williams onto MSNBC. They won't let Williams on Morning Joe. It's as if he doesn't exist.

12 hours ago, Padma said:

Good for the Washington Post for digging out the Bannon news and Joy for bringing it to MSNBC and pointing out that the exec branch is largely being run by three men--Bannon, Flynn and Stephen Miller--who were never elected to anything and who never had to be confirmed by the Senate. This is a scary amount of power to men of this background and good to see its not remaining "under the radar". 

Lawrence, Joy, Chris H and about 75% of Rachel are still superior to most of what is available with CNN (they have the journalistic and global resources, but choose to dilute them with the ridiculous political panelists). I don't know why MSNBC doesn't seem to have much access to NBC worldwide coverage. Seems like that would be a good way to justify the expense and promote the NBC Nightly News global coverage, but other than an occasional piece from Richard Engel and one or two others, there's just not much, even during the daytime programming which is less opinion and more straight news.

I like Richard Engel but I fear he will get hurt if they keep sending him to dangerous places. He was kidnapped by Syrians a few years ago. Engel did get very upset on election night when he found out that Trump was winning.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, oakville said:

MSNBC is planning to cancel Lockup after this season.

I'm surprised it's still considered an active show.  I watched it for a few years, but every time I see it now in the listings, it's a episode that's 5-10 years old that's been re-run umpteen times.  Certainly something that can be bumped for actual breaking national news.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, oakville said:

MSNBC is planning to cancel Lockup after this season. I was surprised that they ignored what was going on.

I think NBC dumped Brian Williams onto MSNBC. They won't let Williams on Morning Joe. It's as if he doesn't exist.

What does Williams have on NBC?  He should have been fired.  MSNBC is wasting valuable air time on him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Macbeth said:

What does Williams have on NBC?  He should have been fired.  MSNBC is wasting valuable air time on him.

He signed a 4 or 5 year contract with NBC shortly before he admitted lying about his news reporting for years. NBC was looking for a way to fire him, but they couldn't . They would have to pay him off. They did pay off Billy Bush. Williams was suspended for 6 months without pay. It's a bit strange that they let him back on MSNBC but won't give him access to any NBC shows. I find it bizarre that Mika & Joe were excited to have him back after his suspension, but they refuse to have him on their  show.  NBC refuses to let him host NBC nightly news on weekends or during holidays. I suppose they will keep him on till his contract expires.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Director of National Security and the Chairman of the Joint Military Chiefs have been downgraded from the White House Security Council and will no longer have permanent seats at the table.  

They were moved off the principals' committee. They're still on the NSC.

• Love 1

Rachel Maddow just called into Ari Melber's show....she has been keeping up with all the weekend events...she says this whole 'exercise" by the Trump Administration is just political 'theater" and that his people are just testing how far they can go.  They want to see how far they can push the boundaries of what the American people will accept.  Rachel says the protests are very important and show that a lot of Americans are not going to allow Trump(and his people) to do whatever they want, without considering legal precident, and citizens opinions.  

• Love 14

Kelly O (does she ever sleep?  She seems to always be on the job)  reporting that she met with 3 WH officials and they think the roll out of the muslim ban went very well...very professional.

We in trouble folks.   We in big big trouble.

• Love 6

I heard her with Ari too. She'll be all over this in a big way tomorrow. She sounded somewhat disgusted.

Chris Hayes was on live via phone last night so it'll be must see tv tomorrow night for me.

• Love 5

I appreciate all the updates about who called what show today -- today was a day to be out hearing what is happening in community reaction, so no MSNBC except the 6:00 AM "Meet the Press" (West Coast time), where Priebus seemed to be saying, "the NSC membership is not what it appears to be on the executive order, and the former members are still on it.  Pay no attention to what the paper said.  Pay no attention to what is behind the curtain."  This is all flabbergasting and gaslighting, but I can't tell who is gaslighting whom.  Trump is terrifying, but controlled by the massively more terrifying Bannon.  And if I got on a jet and saw Bannon glowering in the cockpit and staring straight ahead with that evil look, I would get right off that plane.  But we are on the plane with him piloting.  He does not care about any of us, and I don't think he cares if he himself lives or dies.  But you better believe he has access to the Bunker, and will know when to get inside it.   

• Love 11
21 hours ago, maraleia said:

It's only been 8 days and the national TV media is fucking useless. I would suggest watching local news like WGN here in Chicago to get a better sense of what's going on.

It's so confusing. Some Canadians are worried about vacationing in the USA.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, oakville said:

It's so confusing. Some Canadians are worried about vacationing in the USA.

At this point, I think some Americans are worried about vacationing anywhere outside the U.S., due to retaliation.  For example, there are lots of Americans who have live in or have vacation homes in Mexico.  I wonder how they must be feeling. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Director of National Security and the Chairman of the Joint Military Chiefs have been downgraded from the White House Security Council and will no longer have permanent seats at the table.  Steve Bannon, Trump's favorite white-supremacist, will have a permanent seat.

I know MSNBC has reported this.  But this is a much bigger story, than the couple of minutes that they have spent on this.  You have 12-24 hours to report news - use it wisely.

Steve Bannon, a white supremacist, is advising the lunatic with his finger on the bomb on national security matters.

I am rethinking my atheism - Sweet Jesus I need to get drunk.

I have no idea what the hell is happening with NBC (Normalizing Bullshit Central) these days, but MSNBC is on life support as far as I'm concerned.  If it weren't for its evening lineup after 8 p.m., I would have been gone a long time ago.  I'm already halfway out the door as it is, one toe at a time.  I realize that the Drumpf mis-administration has thrown a lot at us in the last 7 days and that the networks are having a difficult time playing catch-up, but appointing a white supremacist, who wants to see our system of government descend into anarchy, to the NSC, is big news.  

Rachel, Chris and LOD give me life in the evenings and Joy gives me a much-needed blood infusion on weekend mornings.  I fully expect these three to cover this nightmare in depth later this evening. 

Thank goodness I got my husband an Amazon Echo for Christmas.  I've been relying on it more and more for daily briefings in the morning before heading out to work.  I refuse to spike my blood pressure by watching Morning Blow.  I can't bring myself to watch my local news channel--not even for the weather and traffic--in the mornings, which is a shame.  I only get my local newspaper (The Washington Post) delivered on weekends; I can't bear to see the front page everyday.  I even took the extraordinary step of contacting their customer service department and telling them NOT to deliver it's "inaugural" issue.  Nor, did I want last weekend's paper delivered to me.

But, I will not tolerate this network's lean to the far right.  The moment they officially become Faux, I'm out.

• Love 14

Just watched Chris J interview Ari Melber re: likelihood of permanently getting rid of this ban. Like Jonathan Turlow on CNN, he feels the law favors the president being ABLE to legally do this, because of the increased Constitutional powers of the president during the last few decades. That would be unbelievable to me and combined with the lack of any separation of powers (exec, legis, judicial all being Rep-controlled) quite terrifying.

But I wished she had asked if the judge would consider the lack of provocation as a factor on these nations' behalf, esp, considering Ari was defending it as similar to Japanese internment after Pearl Harbor which was legal because the argument they were "possible" national security threats prevailed. (Of course, history looks negatively at that decision, so its surprising to see two "fair-minded" lawyers using it as a legal justification for discrimination now.)

I was glad to see Chris J. ask P.J. Crowley quite a few questions about Bannon and his new role on the NSC beyond what the DNI and Chairman of the Jt. Chiefs have.  He has never been elected, never faced senate confirmation, seldom talks with the press, but has enormous power--and possibly is running the presidency now. I think that's the way to go--keep trying to draw attention to Bannon and to flush him out. Chris J. made a good start with Crowley, but I'm hopeful Chris, Rachel or my favorite Trump-hater LOD will get to more of that tonight.  

• Love 6

Happy Birthday, Chris Jansing!  (I like her for much more than her appearance, but she looks stunning for decades below age 60!) Sorry I missed her this morning -- was she filling in as host on a show, or doing on-site interviews?  I always appreciate her style in interviews. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

I realize that the Drumpf mis-administration has thrown a lot at us in the last 7 days and that the networks are having a difficult time playing catch-up, but appointing a white supremacist, who wants to see our system of government descend into anarchy, to the NSC, is big news.

Right?! 

I mean, of all the networks that should stay on top of this destruction, MSNBC should be first in line. We should absolutely be having more discussion about just what the fuck Bannon intends to do with his new title and power. He's not known for his humble, civil servant attitude. If his little fantasy is to destroy the current system, then we need to understand if that's really the end game and whether that's what the swing voters "really" wanted. 

Joe Blowborough will make some noise on Twitter about the inappropriateness of Bannon's appointment, but on his show? Nary a peep that I caught (granted, I only watch once in a while when I'm scrolling through the Twitter feed and see a vid I think might be worth checking out - note that I am usually dead wrong, but anyway...)

I do hope the prime time lineup is ready to go. LOD, Maddow and CH all have plenty of ability to stay caught up with the real stories here. They're smart and aware and would give a shit about a neocon takeover. 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 8

I've only recently come out of a self-imposed news blackout post-election (I still wince at the sight of "President" and "Trump" used contiguously), so I didn't realize Greta had been given the 6 pm slot until just the other day, I think.  And my second thought after, why her?, was, why not Joy?  Funny how they can plug her into any of the prime time shows when they're hard up for a substitute host and she handles it without batting an eye (I think the famous taco truck interview was when she was pinch-hitting for Chris Hayes), but when it comes time to give her an evening show, they won't do it.  Feh.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

I realize that the Drumpf mis-administration has thrown a lot at us in the last 7 days and that the networks are having a difficult time playing catch-up, but appointing a white supremacist, who wants to see our system of government descend into anarchy, to the NSC, is big news. 

This was addressed on Lawrence's show.  Rachel was there and they talked about Bannon's quote that like Lenin- he wanted to destroy the state as well.  Chaos is the goal. 

David Gergen has said the same thing.

Trump makes compelling television as protests take place across the country.  Criminally incompetent.

• Love 9

Someone said Rollins was "auditioning" for a regular gig on MSNBC.  After tonight, I think he is auditioning for a job in the Trump White House.  

Brian Williams mentioned David Gergen more times than I thought was allowed on a rival network.  

1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I hope Ed Rollins is not indicative of things to come on The Eleventh Hour.  (Happy to see Wallace back!!!)

On 1/28/2017 at 9:43 PM, spiderpig said:

What were they thinking when they signed Greta? 

Ratings.

The interesting thing for me, if I am remembering correctly, MSNBC had some of it's highest ratings during the latter part of the Bush administration.  They started falling during the Obama administration since it was no longer a 'protest' channel, if you will.  And yet now, at a time when they should be lining up to be the 'protest' channel, they are reverting to a message driven by ratings in recent years that are dated (yet have served Fox well) and don't recognize where they can pick up viewers by leaning left/marginally a bit away from the Trump vortex versus hugging right.   Maybe they know more than me....but then again, maybe not. 

Time will tell....assuming we have enough time left/remaining for such concerns:)

Edited by pennben
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Macbeth said:

This was addressed on Lawrence's show.  Rachel was there and they talked about Bannon's quote that like Lenin- he wanted to destroy the state as well.  Chaos is the goal. 

David Gergen has said the same thing.

Trump makes compelling television as protests take place across the country.  Criminally incompetent.

I heard Jonathan Alter read that Lenin quote and say that is Bannon's goal "Chaos and the destruction of existing government"...SCARY!  I always like hearing David Gergen's comments, he worked for 5 Presidents and he seems seriously alarmed by what is happening now.

• Love 8

Sean Spicer on MSNBC now, with chyron - White House: Immigration Order "not a ban" despite Trump saying otherwise.

Kristen Welker asked about Trump tweeting yesterday that it IS a ban. Spicer said that term came from media, KW pushed back, Spicer deflected yet again.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, suomi said:

Sean Spicer on MSNBC now, with chyron - White House: Immigration Order "not a ban" despite Trump saying otherwise.

Kristen Welker asked about Trump tweeting yesterday that it IS a ban. Spicer said that term came from media, KW pushed back, Spicer deflected yet again.

Good Grief!  Spicer, yet again, living in the land of alternative facts

• Love 3

What was up with giving all that time to Rollins? Yes, BW mentioned "he recently ran a superPAC that supported Trump" but that didn't really key in on how deep he was into that campaign. Now, you can see him wincing at times over his new "bedfellow", but he is still nothing more than a Trump apologist, unwilling to risk his wrath.

That was way too much Rollins.  Also, while I like Wallace well enough, she's deluding herself if she thinks Trump is going to cry when he has to comfort a grieving family. As Barbara Res said, he's a classic case of NPD, with an ability to exploit others' emotions but no empathy.  His contempt for Schumer for choking up over the refugee issue was just like his inability to understand why Ghazala Khan was too grief-stricken to speak at the DNC.  No empathy. Once we accept that, we'll all be a lot better off--and less surprised by what we see. from him in the future.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, car54 said:

You must not follow her Twitter account!  There are crude posters in her Twitter feed that remark on her former relationship with Olbermann all the time.  And now she is newly engaged!  Announced by another anchor on-air on MSNBC yesterday. 

Edited by jjj

I do follow her but I probably don't read what people tweet to her, just what she tweets.  I knew she just got engaged--that's great--after the year she's had following Trump, she deserves some real life happiness.

• Love 2

This is a reminder, folks. I know the world feels like it is going upside down, and the urge to go on a rant about those involved may be tempting for some. But I stress this forum is not the place for it. Not unless it relates directly to MSNBC content/programming. General political talk is not allowed.

If you're unclear, please PM me. It's why I'm here! And I'll be happy to clarify.

Thanks for cooperating.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, car54 said:

Olbermann was the sports anchor at KCBS in Los Angeles when I was growing up in the 80s/90s...and, I believe, his fellow co-worker was Bob Tur, Katy's dad and the station's helicopter reporter, who worked along with her mom, who ran the camera.

Working for KCBS, Bob Tur and his wife exclusively captured the start of the L.A. Riots and the beating of a white motorist in 1992 and they were the first to spot O.J. Simpson's Bronco on a slow-speed chase in 1994.

A few years ago, Bob Tur announced he was transgender and became "Zoey Tur." If you watch "OJ: Made in America," which is set to win the Oscar for best documentary, she is prominently featured.

I've read rumors that the transition has strained Katy's relationship with her former dad.

• Love 2

Why do so many interviewer/anchors have such short-term memories? Tonight, BriWi had on Chris Christie, of all people.  After his long disappearance from the Trump Scene, he and Rudy have both suddenly reemerged (resurfaced from the swamp). I must say, of Trump's acoclyte's, he's far and away the most articulate and launched an earnest defense of the first 11 days that featured the tried-and-true Trump tactic of putting the blame on everyone else. He even came close to selling it (but...no..). Likewise with his defense of the "non-ban" ban.  Trump may find a space for him yet.

There's a LOT one could ask Christie about, going back a few months. Lots. But all they talked about was judge, judge, judge. (with a little "Muslim ban" thrown in--all very "now"). I guess that's the way these things are, but I would have liked to have had someone who could actually form complete sentences answer some questions about this presidency and Christie's ill-fated involvement in the transition.  Nicole was good though. Although polite, neither she nor Brian were buying what he was selling.

I tried Greta again yesterday. She's a very poor fit for MSNBC and, no matter how many times they show that Rachel commercial, I don't find her the least bit likeable or trustworthy.  It would have been great if that hour had gone to Joy--or Joy and Ari or Thomas, if TPTB were nervous about replacing H&H with one person.                        That would have been "must see" tv.                                                                                   

• Love 5

I wonder if Christie is back now because the court ruled he is not going to be charged in the Bridgegate thing--I think I heard something about that earlier this week.

Yesterday one of the afternoon shows had Greta on as a legal expert because of the court nomination.  I hope they don't start using her for that--I much prefer Ari Melber to be their expert on those things.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, car54 said:

I wonder if Christie is back now because the court ruled he is not going to be charged in the Bridgegate thing--I think I heard something about that earlier this week.

Yesterday one of the afternoon shows had Greta on as a legal expert because of the court nomination.  I hope they don't start using her for that--I much prefer Ari Melber to be their expert on those things.

I will change the channel if I see her on as a "legal expert".

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Padma said:

I tried Greta again yesterday. She's a very poor fit for MSNBC and, no matter how many times they show that Rachel commercial, I don't find her the least bit likeable or trustworthy.  It would have been great if that hour had gone to Joy--or Joy and Ari or Thomas, if TPTB were nervous about replacing H&H with one person.                        That would have been "must see" tv.                                                                                   

Rachel didn't do herself any favors by endorsing Greta in the slavering way she does on her spots.  Nobody else on the network has come forward in support.

On the plus side, I needed to free up some time (3-4pm Pacific) to pick up my mail and walk the dog.

• Love 5