Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

2 hours ago, Padma said:

Really? They give awards and raise money for scholarships. I could see Trump not going but canceling altogether would be hard to understand. (Maybe by then they'd get Obama or Hillary or Bernie to come in his place)

I think someone on CNN or MSNBC mentioned it. The talking head said that the media looked bad by partying with Hollywood Celebrities. Some people blame Seth Myers for taking potshots at Trump at the 2011 WHCD, which encouraged him to run for the WH in 2016.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, navelgazer said:

Chuck Toad (MTP/Daily) belongs on a public access station alongside reruns of Jim Spagg.  Someone qualified to host one of the big three political affairs shows would have told Priebus that lots and lots and lots of people aren't buying the fake news the GOP sleazebag was spewing and maybe asked a follow-up question or two.  

NSFW -- (Jim Spagg was a

Reveal hidden contents

nudist/performer who was taken off the public access air after filming/broadcasting himself defecating.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Spagg)

I think Chuck Todd was hosting a cable access show when Tim Russert hired him for MSNBC.

• Love 1

Has  anyone questioned MSNBC about the lineup changes? It's so different than during the Obama presidency. There are hardly any African Americans or Latinos on the network anymore. Thomas Roberts was removed from his host duties without any fanfare.

Edited by oakville
spelling
  • Love 1

And what was with the over the top remark that his Cabinet had the Highest IQ in history

This...for a Cabinet that numbers Rick Perry as a member...ooops. 

I am reminded of a fairly offensive (and funny as hell) evolutionary tree that was published in National Lampoon in the Seventies. Trump's cabinet should take the spot above toasters

• Love 1

I laughed out loud at Trump's Inaugural Address when he got to the description of "carnage" in the streets of America. OTT much?

Then I sobered up when Kate Snow interviewed the bikers for Trump. "Happy NoBama Day!" and "Racism in America got worse than ever under this president. We are so proud of our (new) President."

At least there was no b.s. about "jobs...economic struggles, etc. etc". These guys wanted a tough-guy, white Christian nationalist who hates all those damned libtards and they couldn't be happier.

• Love 12

I haven't watched the inauguration yet, but from the posts above it sounds like the orange pig is painting an EXTREMELY dire picture of America, so he can brag about every little "improvement" that he makes in speeches to come.  What a jerk.

I'm with Michelle Obama who touts the current greatness of the U.S., (although we're not perfect).   Missing the O's already.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I haven't watched the inauguration yet, but from the posts above it sounds like the orange pig is painting an EXTREMELY dire picture of America, so he can brag about every little "improvement" that he makes in speeches to come.  What a jerk.

I'm with Michelle Obama who touts the current greatness of the U.S., (although we're not perfect).   Missing the O's already.

I am so sad....watching the Obamas fly off....it was raining, Heaven was crying

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, Padma said:

I laughed out loud at Trump's Inaugural Address when he got to the description of "carnage" in the streets of America. OTT much?

Then I sobered up when Kate Snow interviewed the bikers for Trump. "Happy NoBama Day!" and "Racism in America got worse than ever under this president. We are so proud of our (new) President."

At least there was no b.s. about "jobs...economic struggles, etc. etc". These guys wanted a tough-guy, white Christian nationalist who hates all those damned libtards and they couldn't be happier.

Yea, I had to mute Kate's interview with those guys, and what was with Trump's raised Fist at the end of his speech?!  Did not strike me as a "peaceful" gesture...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, izabella said:

It was dark and stark.  As though our country were in deep trouble with a bad economy and sky-high unemployment, which is the exact opposite of the current state of our economy.  There's nothing else the commentators could say about it - it wasn't an inaugural address, it was more campaigning, albeit more somber and grim.

He was appealing to his base. He gave an ominous and dark picture of America.  The republicans are so happy, it makes me puke.   Paul Ryan, looks like the cat that ate the canary.  His smugness drives me up the wall.  I want Trump  to turn on him and Mitch Mcconell, who I loathe for leading the cavalry against Obama, the night, before, his historic inauguration, in 2009. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14

Nooooo.....I got caught in the MSNBC Twighlight Zone... I usually watch the MSNBC primetime lineup only. But I spent the whole day tuned into MSNBC watching the parade...at some point I was barely listening, when a female voice came on seemingly praising Trump's speech. Oh, no!!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nowandlater said:

Nooooo.....I got caught in the MSNBC Twighlight Zone... I usually watch the MSNBC primetime lineup only. But I spent the whole day tuned into MSNBC watching the parade...at some point I was barely listening, when a female voice came on seemingly praising Trump's speech. Oh, no!!!!

I know: Really?!  People 'out in America" thought that was a terrific speech!?  I thought it was scary!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yea, I had to mute Kate's interview with those guys, and what was with Trump's raised Fist at the end of his speech?!  Did not strike me as a "peaceful" gesture...

I can't wait until someone tells the moron that he gave the salute for Black Power. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, oakville said:

Has  anyone questioned MSNBC about the lineup changes? It's so different than during the Obama presidency. There are hardly any African Americans or Latinos on the network anymore. Thomas Roberts was removed from his host duties without any fanfare.

They're already normalizing Trump.

But as disappointed as I've been with MSNBC this election cycle, I did love the somber tone of the coverage.  And rather than somber out of respect, it felt very much like fear and disbelief.  Although I'm sure the recent Faux News transplant was using her chirpy, happy voice and waving a flag, while wearing an American flag pin on her breast, and perhaps even  found one of those hokey hats they wear at the conventions.  

I missed the Black Power salute. I geuss it's the best he could do when Hitler was ruled out.  Surprisingly Matthews said the speech was "Hitlerian".

On Chris H, he had congressman Jamie Raskin (D, Maryland, didn't attend but watched)  I was doing something else, but perked up at the words, "most hateful, loathesome and divisive...) Yes! He was describing Trump's speech. He then added that it was "an insult to the Obamas".  Which is true, too. Obama did so much for the country--is leaving Trump a pretty strong economy and a more peaceful situation than what Obama got (God, imagine if Donald had taken over in2009!!!!)  It WAS insulting. It WAS hateful and all about his horrible base. (And, sorry Michael Moore and Cher. I can't accept the "economic despair" idea any more. These people embrace hate--and lots of them aren't suffering any more than the rest of America.

On a different note, I think the Rockettes who didn't perform are vindicated.  No reflection on the women who are there tonight--they  are professionals---but knowing it was for TRUMP{, seeing scantily clad women dancing somewhat suggestively (because...scanty clothing + dancing) was just gross. Not for the Rockettes. But because it was for Trump. Ew.

Then he signed some horrible, sweeping, anti-Obamacare legislation tonight.

And Paul Ryan, smirking as he handed it to him--along with turtle neck McConnell are just so disgusting. What a sad and terrible day.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I bet those seeing them off in person were looking at the Obamas with puppy eyes - Don't leave us. Don't leave us!

Mitch McConnell was beaming, when he shook Obama's hand, for the last time, as his President. That was the first time that I saw him treat our president with any type of warmth. In the past,  he always looked like he smelled a fart, whenever, he was around him. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Padma said:

I missed the Black Power salute. I geuss it's the best he could do when Hitler was ruled out.  Surprisingly Matthews said the speech was "Hitlerian".

On Chris H, he had congressman Jamie Raskin (D, Maryland, didn't attend but watched)  I was doing something else, but perked up at the words, "most hateful, loathesome and divisive...) Yes! He was describing Trump's speech. He then added that it was "an insult to the Obamas".  Which is true, too. Obama did so much for the country--is leaving Trump a pretty strong economy and a more peaceful situation than what Obama got (God, imagine if Donald had taken over in2009!!!!)  It WAS insulting. It WAS hateful and all about his horrible base. (And, sorry Michael Moore and Cher. I can't accept the "economic despair" idea any more. These people embrace hate--and lots of them aren't suffering any more than the rest of America.

On a different note, I think the Rockettes who didn't perform are vindicated.  No reflection on the women who are there tonight--they  are professionals---but knowing it was for TRUMP{, seeing scantily clad women dancing somewhat suggestively (because...scanty clothing + dancing) was just gross. Not for the Rockettes. But because it was for Trump. Ew.

Then he signed some horrible, sweeping, anti-Obamacare legislation tonight.

And Paul Ryan, smirking as he handed it to him--along with turtle neck McConnell are just so disgusting. What a sad and terrible day.

ITA, not only did Trump insult President Obama, he insulted ALL the former Presidents on the dais! And I agree with you, this whole idea that its poor white people who voted for Trump, I think lots of people are just full of hate for all minorities are the ones who are cheering

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

They're already normalizing Trump.

But as disappointed as I've been with MSNBC this election cycle, I did love the somber tone of the coverage.  And rather than somber out of respect, it felt very much like fear and disbelief.  Although I'm sure the recent Faux News transplant was using her chirpy, happy voice and waving a flag, while wearing an American flag pin on her breast, and perhaps even  found one of those hokey hats they wear at the conventions.  

I watched a bit of Chris Hayes. It was interesting. Steve Schmidt said there are 3 parties in Washington. The Trump Party, the GOP & the Democrats. Trump may do deals with the Democrats if the GOP balks at spending too much

• Love 2

I like Schmidt and feel the pain of the #NeverTrump-ers.

But.... no getting away from it now!  Any Republicans in Congress who are so craven and opportunistic to throw their lot in with him and not explicitly say, "He is unacceptable to me as a Republican" are tarred with the same brush.

It was / is gross to see McConnell drooling in anticipation of everything he's going to get through now--and Ryan is apparently incapable of wiping that smug, self-satisfied smirk off his face for the same reason.

And I don't think any of them REALLY  care about the budget--it was just an issue to throw at Obama, like so many others.  They don't care about corruption either, obviously, unless it's a Democrats' (or they can convince voters that it is). Chatffetz has ZERO interest in investigation Trump's corruption and conflicts of interest that have already started.  But he'll happily continue to spend $3 or $4 million more to pointlessly investigate Hillary.

My big question is which Republican mess will Trump be most like--Reagan's budget-busting military buildiup and tax cuts that created the largest deficit in history?  Hoover's stock market collapse and ensuing Depression?

Or GWB's prime mortgage meltdown, banking disaster and putting the U.S. on the brink of a Depression that would spread world-wide?

Of course, Trump, because he "excels" so much, will probably find a way to exceed all of them.

We've made it through Day #1. Yay!

• Love 10
22 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I dont know where to put my thoughts...watching MSNBC and other Networks as well, commentators dont even know what to say about Trump's speech, calling it 'dark & stark".  Yikes, Trump;s speech scared me even more...the whole "American First"..the heck with the rest of the world.  Gads!

Well, this morning they had one guest on who described it as a dose of "realism."  I'm sure he said something else, but I had reached the Mute button by then.

Further proof that MSNBC learns no lessons:

1. Framing the Women's March and this "presidential" visit to a prayer service as equally-important stories*

2. Cutting into Joy Reid's coverage of the march (at the point where she is focusing on the Million Women March of 1997) to switch to the prayer service for no discernible reason

3. Continuing to broadcast this prayer service (it's been about 25 minutes by my count) with the "Breaking News" banner and no updates on the giant demonstration happening downtown

How, Sway?

* I know the goings-on of the President are important, but this seems like something a network would do on a slow news day, not when there's an historic event happening.  I'm telling myself that it's because Joy is reading someone for absolute filth behind the scenes and they need time to recover.

Edited by netlyon2
OMG, they're still showing it
  • Love 5

@diet7up I'm not sure about marches around the world, but Twitter advised me to hop on over to CSPAN, where they're broadcasting the DC march.

ETA:  Joy posted an interview with Maxine Waters (I assume she was a planned guest) on Instagram:  

Also, Ashley Judd was fire!

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 3

I'll be generous and give a reminder here: Unless specific subjects relate directly to MSNBC programming, there is to be NO POLITICAL TALK in this forum or on the board itself. Failure to follow this will result in warnings.

Thanks and carry on.

• Love 1

Holy freaking cow, I am watching Sean Spicer on MSNBC, and I have never seen such a defensive, blustery idiotic presentation. 

And he said "you guys" twice.  I lost count of "dishonest". 

• Love 6

I'm watching MSNBC.  Trump said today that  the media is sort of made it sound like he had a feud with the intelligence community.  Brian Williams was on with someone else. After that they showed Trump's past comments, which should prove eo everyone it was not the media.

Wow, now Spicer is on with a briefing from the White House. This sounds like a comedy skit. He just spent several minutes explaining why the crowd numbers were deliberately skewed. Oh my!  Unbelievable!

Added - I'm with you JJJ. I am astounded at what I just saw.

Edited by madfortv
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, car54 said:

BriWi is just gobsmacked by all the wimmens.   "Something's happening".

I don't know how old or young you are, Car54, but that's a quote from a song of Brian's younger days and Vietnam War protests:  "Something's happenin' here, what it is ain't exactly clear" (Buffalo Springfield).  At least he did not hum!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, jjj said:

I don't know how old or young you are, Car54, but that's a quote from a song of Brian's younger days and Vietnam War protests:  "Something's happenin' here, what it is ain't exactly clear" (Buffalo Springfield).  At least he did not hum!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs 

Oh I got the reference....but Brian seems to have nothing else to say but that...over and over.

Lawrence O'Donnell is giving me life tonight.    Nobody does de-bunking better.

• Love 8

I agree, Brian said that phrase at least three times (maybe more when I was not paying attention!).  Sorry if I sounded pedantic, car54!  Like someone patronizing people who do not live in New York City ("For those of you who have been to New York once or twice, you know the import of Fifth Avenue" was just one of the gems from Brian today, or "They are at Lexington Avenue; I realize that does not mean anything to you if you don't know the streets."). 

4 minutes ago, car54 said:

Oh I got the reference....but Brian seems to have nothing else to say but that...over and over.

Lawrence O'Donnell is giving me life tonight.    Nobody does de-bunking better.

Yes, I did not know Lawrence was still in the studio!  Thank goodness! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

Lawrence was great recounting the numbers of rallies in the past (biggest prior to this was 1973, Nixon's second term which got 100k.  The only one of note between then and now was 2002, after Bush v. Gore. That was only 20,000.)  Brian doesn't have a lot to say, but as long as he keeps seeming genuinely astonished over the huge crowds ("in all 50 states". Wow) and throwing to Lawrence, I'm good.

He was also a bit snarky when Hallie Jackson reported on Trump at the CIA saying "the press had set it up like I had a feud" then BriWi showed clips to show that's exactly what it was like (calling your intell agents "Nazis" and accusing the director of leaking info about you--without a shred of proof--can realistically be called fighting words, I think.)

I am going to start taking bets on who will crack up first--Trump or Spicer.  Both looked pretty unstable in the clips I just saw (I think Spicer will solve the media problem by banishing them across the street and cancelling press conferences. I'm guessing those new monitors that Brian pointed out will be so he can answer questions remotely in the near future when all reporters have been moved out of the WH.)  Good catch from Brian. Because it's a small room. Why do they need the monitors? Personally, I think they'll be moving, but I suppose Trump could be planning to give addresses, Big Brother-style, and make it clear that he is watching them from his office.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, jjj said:

I agree, Brian said that phrase at least three times (maybe more when I was not paying attention!).  Sorry if I sounded pedantic, car54!  Like someone patronizing people who do not live in New York City ("For those of you who have been to New York once or twice, you know the import of Fifth Avenue" was just one of the gems from Brian today, or "They are at Lexington Avenue; I realize that does not mean anything to you if you don't know the streets."). 

Oh I didn't take it that way at all! :)  I just think Brian is trying so hard to be a "journalist" but he seems to have nothing really productive to say but sort of "wow".

There is a special Hardball tonight--I can't wait for Matthews to weigh in on this press briefing!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, car54 said:

I hope SNL is writing a new opening of this press briefing right now.   

I was thinking the same thing.  They could just repeat it verbatim.  And his tone was so nasty!!!

3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

And here comes Greta. Off to local news for me.  Fortunately, I'm in DC, so local news is national news.  Hope they will give us some real Metro numbers.

Yup, me too -- I actually was hanging around home just to see Sean Spicer, and it was totally worth the wait. 

• Love 1

Instead of hiring Fox news people MSNBC needs to bring over the SNL Weekend update guys to cover this White House foolishness.   

I hope someone in the press room DID snicker at Spicer's foolishness.     If he wasn't such a pissy guy I'd feel sorry for him--you know Trump bullied him into going out and confronting the press.

• Love 1

Brian Williams thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, in the building, in the zip code, and he's so patronizing as he "explains" things to his audience.  I think it's hysterical that his journalistic lapses have pushed him onto MSNBC, when it is clear to everyone watching and BriWi himself that Rachel Maddow is so much brighter, introspective, and analytical than he is.  He is never the smartest one in the room when he's on with Rachel.

• Love 4

Yes, I just saw the evening lineup on the screen, but they only had it up for a second!  A new Hardball and a new Lawrence O'Donnell stern rejoinder to today's nonsense.  I'm ordering pizza. 

I hope the press is taking selfies of themselves in the press room, because they are going to be in a cinderblock room over in Virginia soon, the way things are looking.  And the "briefings" will be done by remote, you want to bet?  Because it will be so inconvenient to go where the press is.

P.S. -- Greta is just awful at live coverage.  "Where were all these women when Hillary Clinton lost the election?"  She said that three or four times. The answer is, these are urban marches, and take a look at the urban/rural divide in voting results.  It tells you the answer.  Someone needs to give her a song list to quote, like Brian has. 

11 minutes ago, car54 said:

Lawrence just tweeted that he 's doing a special Last Word at 10 tonight.

33 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

And here comes Greta..

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

I already changed the channel. I have been trying to give Greta a chance by watching her daily show when I have the time, but this is it for me. I thought her questions were telling just now as to her bias. I am done with her.

• Love 2

Sean Spicer will have a heart attack , if he keeps it up.  How will he take it for the next four years?  I get a perverse pleasure in seeing him like this...I need some laughter, from that abominable administration,  and  he is comedy gold.  We have so much problems in this country and they are bitching about the numbers at their pathetic inauguration, yesterday.  We have eyes and the people came out today, in support of,  women rights, that are human rights.  I am woke, like never before.  

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, car54 said:

Lawrence just tweeted that he 's doing a special Last Word at 10 tonight.

Oh, thank you for that.  Best news of the day!

35 minutes ago, madfortv said:

I already changed the channel. I have been trying to give Greta a chance by watching her daily show when I have the time, but this is it for me. I thought her questions were telling just now as to her bias. I am done with her.

I have been trying to give Greta a chance, too, but I do find a lot of her statements partisan.  And even worse than that, for me, is that she talks over her guests.  They try to make a point and she disagrees with them while they're talking.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Brian Williams thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, in the building, in the zip code, and he's so patronizing as he "explains" things to his audience.  I think it's hysterical that his journalistic lapses have pushed him onto MSNBC, when it is clear to everyone watching and BriWi himself that Rachel Maddow is so much brighter, introspective, and analytical than he is.  He is never the smartest one in the room when he's on with Rachel.

I thought that I was the only one that felt that Brian Williams was pedantic.  Rachel gives you the facts, without, talking down to you, like an idiot.  Joy Reid was so good today and that Roberts guy was here too.  He is very handsome and he has a nice, soothing voice, his husband is very lucky.. I too tried to give Greta, a chance, but, she is too Fox news, for me. Joy should have gotten her spot or Shanelle.  I like her a lot.  The weekend anchors need more support from MSNBC.  Any of them should have gotten Greta's spot.

• Love 5

Katy Tur's Twitter account has some gold (I'm sure other reporters do, also).  Like noting a reporter at the press briefing shouted as Sean Spicer sprinted from the room, "How do you know it was the largest crowd ever if there are no numbers?"  And a NYC reporter saying that "to be fair, Fifth Avenue only looks crowded because there is no white plastic flooring on the street". 

• Love 8