Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

17 hours ago, maraleia said:

I'm appalled at Rachel's tacit endorsement of this ideological shift at MSNBC because as a lesbian she should be fighting back not bending over backward to appease her corporate overlords.

Wasn't there controversy when Rachel Maddow refused to speak up for Keith Olbermann when he was suspended by MSNBC?

1 hour ago, oakville said:

Wasn't there controversy when Rachel Maddow refused to speak up for Keith Olbermann when he was suspended by MSNBC?

HuffPo reported it this way.

Wonder how she'd react today. CNN could certainly be included in her "tirade". And MSNBC? Sad.

I have not viewed the video but PoliticsUSA (?) also reports:

'On her MSNBC program tonight, Rachel Maddow explained that Keith Olbermann was suspended for breaking a rule that forbids hosts from making political donations without prior approval, but she urged that Olbermann be put back on the air. She thought Olbermann should be held to the rule, but “I also personally believe that the point has been made and we should have Keith back hosting Countdown.”'

and:

'She also explained why people at Fox News can do it, but MSNBC can’t, “They can do that because there’s no rule against that at Fox. Their network is run as a political operation. Ours isn’t. Yeah, Keith’s a liberal, and so am I. But we’re not a political operation — Fox is. We’re a news operation. The rules around here are part of how you know that.”'

ETA: more "tirade" at 2nd link.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 5

I've had Greta's show on most days this week (I work from home and have MSNBC or CNN on in the background most of the day) and so far, I have not seen much that seems very partisan.  Most shows had a combination of political news and other news.

I vaguely remember her from CNN days, but just barely and I've never watched anyone on Fox news.    Maybe she'll change once Trump is in office but so far it was not what I was expecting with her background.

• Love 2

I used to watch Greta back in her CNN days.  She was ok.  Then she began to interview Palen and that's when I bailed on Greta (later finding out that Greta & spouse were besties with Sarah & spouse).  Isn't she now on at 6?  I'm watching PBS news then (it's a more tranquil way to take in the news these days).

• Love 1

So the way I see MSN becoming FauxNews is for ratings, i.e., $. 

They are listening to the twisted explanation as to why the orange pig won (aside from the Electoral College and Hillary's 2 million more votes), which is that disenchanted blue collar America was not being heard,  needed jobs, tired of libersl elitism, movie stars, plus  racism and misogyny, etc.  Nevermind that those folks are without health care now.  

So MSN is trying to appeal to those folks, as well as tamping down the liberal logic that folks like Rachel presented.

It's a new world,  albeit one with lies, lies, and more damned lies. I hate KAC with the white hot heat of a thousand suns, but the broadcasting companies have to play nice with them, or they will be shut out of further "news", from the White House, and smeared publicly, and these stations have bills to pay and ratings to get to stay in business. It's horribly disgusting. ..manipulation of the media, no ethics, morons and swindlers wielding power.   Yuck. 

It's going to be a long 4 years. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Tosia said:

They are listening to the twisted explanation as to why the orange pig won (aside from the Electoral College and Hillary's 2 million more votes), which is that disenchanted blue collar America was not being heard,  needed jobs, tired of libersl elitism, movie stars, plus  racism and misogyny, etc.  Nevermind that those folks are without health care now.  

So MSN is trying to appeal to those folks, as well as tamping down the liberal logic that folks like Rachel presented.

It's a new world,  albeit one with lies, lies, and more damned lies. I hate KAC with the white hot heat of a thousand suns, but the broadcasting companies have to play nice with them, or they will be shut out of further "news", from the White House, and smeared publicly, and these stations have bills to pay and ratings to get to stay in business. It's horribly disgusting. ..manipulation of the media, no ethics, morons and swindlers wielding power.   Yuck. 

I still think they would get more viewers by presenting the other side. They were probably most popular during the Keith days.The rebels are the opposition. Go with the rebels.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I agree with everything above but one. (Well and 3 million votes more for Hillary. Just because I want it burned into the national consciousness and read that most Republicans think Trump WON the pop vote, in a "landslide" just as he said.)

I'd love to see the press STOP playing footsie with KAC, Priebus etc. and just call them out on their lies. Whatever they tell the public via the media is worthless anyway. They can put it out in a press release.

Instead, if the Trump people freeze out the critical media, then the press can stop narrating to us what Trump & Co think and feel and instead get out of the WH press room and do some actual reporting, like the print people do. (They could even just read a few good newspapers and report on the contents which, in many cases, would also be an improvement).

• Love 10
12 hours ago, NewDigs said:

HuffPo reported it this way.

Wonder how she'd react today. CNN could certainly be included in her "tirade". And MSNBC? Sad.

I have not viewed the video but PoliticsUSA (?) also reports:

'On her MSNBC program tonight, Rachel Maddow explained that Keith Olbermann was suspended for breaking a rule that forbids hosts from making political donations without prior approval, but she urged that Olbermann be put back on the air. She thought Olbermann should be held to the rule, but “I also personally believe that the point has been made and we should have Keith back hosting Countdown.”'

and:

'She also explained why people at Fox News can do it, but MSNBC can’t, “They can do that because there’s no rule against that at Fox. Their network is run as a political operation. Ours isn’t. Yeah, Keith’s a liberal, and so am I. But we’re not a political operation — Fox is. We’re a news operation. The rules around here are part of how you know that.”'

ETA: more "tirade" at 2nd link.

I am glad that she defended him.I remember Mika getting very upset that Joe was suspended for making a contribution to one of his friends. 

Wasnt Keith a mentor to Rachel when she started at MSNBC?

• Love 3

Chuck Toad (MTP/Daily) belongs on a public access station alongside reruns of Jim Spagg.  Someone qualified to host one of the big three political affairs shows would have told Priebus that lots and lots and lots of people aren't buying the fake news the GOP sleazebag was spewing and maybe asked a follow-up question or two.  

NSFW -- (Jim Spagg was a

Spoiler

nudist/performer who was taken off the public access air after filming/broadcasting himself defecating.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Spagg)

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 4

Chuck Todd is a slimy worm.  He let Priebus spew outright misinformation.  Maybe even lies about Hillary's emails and the Wikileaks emails.

Then, he can't even interview John Lewis in a meaningful way.  I doubt that I was the only American ashamed and insulted that President Obama was humiliated by a orange bag of shit.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Padma said:

I agree with everything above but one. (Well and 3 million votes more for Hillary. Just because I want it burned into the national consciousness and read that most Republicans think Trump WON the pop vote, in a "landslide" just as he said.)

I'd love to see the press STOP playing footsie with KAC, Priebus etc. and just call them out on their lies. Whatever they tell the public via the media is worthless anyway. They can put it out in a press release.

Instead, if the Trump people freeze out the critical media, then the press can stop narrating to us what Trump & Co think and feel and instead get out of the WH press room and do some actual reporting, like the print people do. (They could even just read a few good newspapers and report on the contents which, in many cases, would also be an improvement).

I hope you're right, Padma, with all my heart.   Real factual news would be a refreshing change.  

As my dad would paraphrase, "Believe it, or don't. "

• Love 3
18 hours ago, slensam said:

I still think they would get more viewers by presenting the other side. They were probably most popular during the Keith days.The rebels are the opposition. Go with the rebels.

Good point, Slensam, cuz at least 3 million (thanks,  Padma), more voters were for HC, democrats, and /or are somewhere on the wide range of liberal issues, i.e., viewers. 

So I'm amending my former post and saying that MSN is playing to both sides with Greta, others, etc.  

That said, there is NO excuse for putting  KAC on tv at all. Sickening. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, oakville said:

Wasnt Keith a mentor to Rachel when she started at MSNBC?

From what I recall, Rachel started as being a talking head on multiple MSNBC shows.  Then Keith started having her on a lot, then he made her his fill-in host for when he had off.  Eventually, he pushed for her to have her own show.  Weirdly, I remember a couple months after he left someone asked him in an interview if they were still friendly since he was off the network, and he said that she had never contacted him after his final episode.  Contact goes both ways, so he's equally at fault, but they must not have been too close if they simply stopped talking to each other that easily.

Edited by Lexx
  • Love 2

It now seems so ironic that Keith got suspended for donating to a congressman's campaign yet Joe and Mika where given the green light to give trump millions in free airtime everyday.

• Love 11

I thought Greta was a lot more partisan today than she was last week.  I'm proud of Katy Tur for holding her own when Greta asked her the stupid question if Trump would be an "appeaser" after he was sworn in.  Katy gave her a straight and detailed answer about how Trump has not changed from his campaign persona and has not brought the country together like he said he would.  And she said there's no indication that he's going to change. I think Katy Tur is the best of the road reporters they had during the campaigns.  

Smellyanne was master manipulator and liar as usual.  Greta couldn't get a work in after her initial question if Trump was going to try to repair the relationship with Congressman Lewis.  Smellyanne turned the whole thing into some bullshit about Martin Luther King the 3rd being at Trump Tower today and that went a long way toward mending fences and they would welcome a call from Congressman Lewis.  I don't know why I watched that segment.  I should have been like madfortv and just turned her off.  She is disgusting.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I thought Greta was a lot more partisan today than she was last week.  I'm proud of Katy Tur for holding her own when Greta asked her the stupid question if Trump would be an "appeaser" after he was sworn in.  Katy gave her a straight and detailed answer about how Trump has not changed from his campaign persona and has not brought the country together like he said he would.  And she said there's no indication that he's going to change. I think Katy Tur is the best of the road reporters they had during the campaigns.  

Smellyanne was master manipulator and liar as usual.  Greta couldn't get a work in after her initial question if Trump was going to try to repair the relationship with Congressman Lewis.  Smellyanne turned the whole thing into some bullshit about Martin Luther King the 3rd being at Trump Tower today and that went a long way toward mending fences and they would welcome a call from Congressman Lewis.  I don't know why I watched that segment.  I should have been like madfortv and just turned her off.  She is disgusting.

"Appeasers"? Does she think she's still with Fox?

• Love 5

Added Anonymous, “Roy Cohen and your daddy aren’t here to protect you anymore.”  Concluded Anonymous, “Oh and please tell your interns not to waste money hitting us with your Moldavian bot farm, stay frosty @realDonaldDrumpf.” 

[more at link]

http://liberalplug.com/2017/01/16/wow-anonymous-finally-breaks-silence-just-made-brutal-threat-trump/

Wonder if any of the geniuses on the corporate-to-its-gills MSNBC will make the obvious connection that people in Moldova worked to put Twitler in power.  

help...

• Love 5

At this point why do shows have Kellyanne Conway on to represent Trump? She doesn't answer questions. She talks fast and throws in irrelevant statements about others to divert the conversation.  I don't see that she adds any value. If she isn't going to answer the questions about the topic (reason she is on the show) or she comes up with some crazy fairy tale explanation, what is the purpose of inviting  her on the show?  MSNBC is even using her in a commercial for Rachel's show.  I don't understand. 

• Love 10

I agree that MSNBC's adoration of KAC is over-the-top.  She seems to be featured in many of their commercials.  Not only the cringeworthy Rachel thank you ad and the Matthews' fawning ad where KAC grasps his hand in hers, but I saw one on MLK day that blew me away. In it, the network extols its "extraordinary" correspondents by flipping through quick live shots of their faces, all reporting from live remotes.  I saw Jacob and Hallie and Kristin and Craig Melvin and a few others. But then the ad ends with KAC in a quick pivot backward glance, almost flirtatious, from Trump Tower lobby I think, and a quick still shot of DT wearing one of his caps, looming high above a campaign crowd.

The ad is so strange.  Why is  KAC so prominently featured?  I think she's become addicted to herself on camera.  She's nothing but an apologist and adds nothing to discussions. And we can never escape her, whether on cable or network.

And Matthews, a week or two ago, actually got snippily-defensive of KAC  on his show.  A guest addressed something KAC had said on several shows that day, then the directly-opposite thing that the PE said on the same topic about an hour later.  The guest wondered, "don't they talk to each other?"  Matthews actually bristled!  He grumped,  "well you can't expect her to know what he was going to say!"  What?  Isn't she a spokesperson or a rep?  

Or is KAC all about KAC?  I question many things about her, many, many things.

The campaign is over, but Trump and KAC are in perpetual rehash the campaign mode, and it's sickening how msnbc and cnn, etc, etc, play along.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, madfortv said:

At this point why do shows have Kellyanne Conway on to represent Trump? She doesn't answer questions. She talks fast and throws in irrelevant statements about others to divert the conversation.  I don't see that she adds any value. If she isn't going to answer the questions about the topic (reason she is on the show) or she comes up with some crazy fairy tale explanation, what is the purpose of inviting  her on the show?  MSNBC is even using her in a commercial for Rachel's show.  I don't understand. 

THIS???!!!!     WHY?  WHY?  WHY? 

The only reason I can fathom is that KAC is controversial, i.e.,  viewers and other shows talk about her statements--even though her lies are obvious, her manipulation sophomoric, and her weak references to HC and the campaign, old hat.  

Again, WHY? 

MSNBC has sold out to the devil.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, Tosia said:

THIS???!!!!     WHY?  WHY?  WHY? 

The only reason I can fathom is that KAC is controversial, i.e.,  viewers and other shows talk about her statements--even though her lies are obvious, her manipulation sophomoric, and her weak references to HC and the campaign, old hat.  

Again, WHY? 

MSNBC has sold out to the devil.

This.  I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt--like maybe using KAC's appearances and the fawning-over-her ads to "appease" Trump and the righties and distract from all the Trump criticism that goes on later on MSNBC.

But these people (Trump&Co) aren't distracted, ever.  You could fawn over them 23 hrs and 55 minutes a day then have 5 minutes of criticism and he'd be blasting you on Twitter and elsewhere.

I don't understand why some of them who should know better (like Matthews/Maddow here and Cuomo/Blitzer at CNN) seem to think of KAC as a rrespected professional spokeswoman rather than what she is--a bald-faced liar who will say absolutely anything and attack anyone* in order to advance her boss and his bizarre agenda.  That commercial promoting MSNBC and showing her flashing a big smile is repulsive. Do people think she's attractive? She's attractive the same way Ann Coulter is--thin, overly bleached and made up (esp. for 40+) and with a really ugly personality shining through.  

*But not Putin. Never Putin.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 12
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, catrox14 said:

True. Sorry for that omission. Mea culpa.

ITA, Hayes and O'Donnell are doing a great job. Tuesday night CH had the best introduction.  Somehow he managed to include all the usual legal disclaimers about the former MI6 agent's investigation of Trump while still repeating the devastating conclusions his report reached:  blackmail and collusion. (Most of the press completely ignore that second allegation, which is maddening.)

Then on LOD, Malcolm Nance continued to mock the Putin-Trump relationship and once again called Trump an "asset" in the intelligence sense.  Both shows spent time with Putin's speech about Trump at his press conference yesterday which, yes, seriously, sounded like a victory lap. To me, as with the Russian ambassador to the UK saying "there's no such thing as a 'former MI6 agent'--once an agent, always an agent", Putin seemed to be smirking about the details of the report being true.

Two days. How?

Edited by Padma
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, stormy said:

Chris Hayes had on one of my favorites last night, John Dean.

Dean's great. Loved his book on GWB, "Worse than Watergate".  I can't wait to see what he writes about Trump. You could tell he's already thinking about it, based on the obvious level of dishonesty and potential for corruption.

• Love 5

I'm off today so I have MSNBC on in the background while I get some things done.  The abysmal Steve Kornacki just had on the criminal Alberto Gonzales, he of the, "Torture?  Nah, I'll just change the definition of torture" fame.  That guy has no business being on ANY news shows.  He should be happy Obama never prosecuted Bush Administration officials for their actions during the Bush years.

I cannot believe MSNBC had him on as a pundit, let alone the deference with which Kornacki spoke to him.

• Love 4

Is it me or does Trump already look kind of bored because there are all these people there for the concert and he can't stand up and blather at them--he has to just listen.  Rallies are over big boy.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, car54 said:

Is it me or does Trump already look kind of bored because there are all these people there for the concert and he can't stand up and blather at them--he has to just listen.  Rallies are over big boy.

He looks completely over it. Also, looks kind of demented in some of the photos--like that "I'm in the middle of writing my own inaugural address" one yesterday (supposedly 3 weeks ago) from the "Winter White House (Mar-a-lago)" where he's sitting at the receptionist's desk in front of a blank stack of papers and holding an unopened sharpie. Convincing!

We know he has the attention span of a gnat and can't stand having to listen to others and having the attention taken off him.  I'm sure staffers are finding him in a foul mood these days and it will only get worse when he has to actually, you know, stay in the White House.

• Love 5

I tuned in for a few minutes then turned off the TV. He was fidgeting and talking. I don't plan to watch the inauguration tomorrow. Maybe I can pretend for one more day that he isn't our president.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Padma said:

when he has to actually, you know, stay in the White House.

I keep wondering what that will be like for him.    Melania and Barron won't be there, Ivanka and Jared have their own house and kids---so will he just go upstairs and watch Fox TV and eat Doritos after his day?   He does not strike me as someone who is good at being alone.   Maybe Tiffany can take a gap year and come and live with him so he has someone with him until Melania and Barron move to DC, if they ever do.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, car54 said:

I keep wondering what that will be like for him.    Melania and Barron won't be there, Ivanka and Jared have their own house and kids---so will he just go upstairs and watch Fox TV and eat Doritos after his day?   He does not strike me as someone who is good at being alone.   Maybe Tiffany can take a gap year and come and live with him so he has someone with him until Melania and Barron move to DC, if they ever do.

You almost made me feel sorry for him.  Then I realized the longer he is alone without his cheering throngs, the less likely he will be to continue the pretense and it will become readily apparent that Pence is happily doing all of the heavy ideological lifting.  

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 1

Watching Trump speak at the cabinet dinner---and I just realized.....this guy is going to try to do the White House Correspondent's Dinner.   Oy....remember him at the Al Smith dinner?

• Love 2
On 1/10/2017 at 11:43 PM, navelgazer said:

...certainly didn't comment that the RePiglickins didn't cheat with rampant voter suppression and Russian hacking either.  

ON 12/27/2016 AT 1:52 PM, NINJAPENGUINS SAID: 

I've been reading up and down this thread looking for where someone referred to righties as human garbage. I dislike dehumanizing language no matter who it is aimed at. This post exists, right? Right? Anyone? 

-------------------------------

Well, if I'm remembering Charlotte's Web correctly, "pig lickins" = human garbage.

Ohhhh, all in good fun.  I'm sure the commenter was referring to #12 on the menu at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Kansas City.  "Piglickins" comes with fries and a pretty good baked beans side.  And a Coke!

Edited by rallymantis
How could I forget!
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, car54 said:

Watching Trump speak at the cabinet dinner---and I just realized.....this guy is going to try to do the White House Correspondent's Dinner.   Oy....remember him at the Al Smith dinner?

And what was with the over the top remark that his Cabinet had the Highest IQ in history?!   And were the smartest people ever?!  Why does Everything have to be so over the top & stupendous with Trumpster?!  Gads, he sounds like a crazy person

• Love 11
3 hours ago, car54 said:

Or on SNL. One of the comedians said Trump refused to make jokes at his own expense. I guess he could rip on Pence and Spicer and Schumer and, what the heck, Crooked HIllary, for a look back at when life was so much more fun. (Personally, I feel happier every time I think of how miserable he is going to be in the White House. Being alone will be difficult. But I think he is NOT someone who likes a new non-Trumpian environment. Even on the campaign, he flew back to TT every night. He is notorious for never going on vacations unless its to one of his golf courses or Mar-a-lago, which is just another home. Living and working in the WH will be tough.  He already looks pretty miserable most of the time.

Good!!!!

re: WHCD.  Maybe they'll be so fed up with him by then that they'll invite Stephen Colbert back to do a real "truth to power" riff.

I was glad to see they let Barron stay in NYC. He's the only one I feel sorry for in all this because it's probably hugely stressful and unpleasant, given Trump's mood.  The other day, they mentioned how Barbara Bush told Hillary it would be hard to be an only child living in the WH and recommended she invite a friend or cousin to come live with Chelsea for a while. I don't see the Trump's ever doing that for Barron.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, car54 said:

I read that the WHCD may be cancelled . 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, oakville said:

I read that the WHCD may be cancelled . 

Really? They give awards and raise money for scholarships. I could see Trump not going but canceling altogether would be hard to understand. (Maybe by then they'd get Obama or Hillary or Bernie to come in his place)

• Love 1

I dont know where to put my thoughts...watching MSNBC and other Networks as well, commentators dont even know what to say about Trump's speech, calling it 'dark & stark".  Yikes, Trump;s speech scared me even more...the whole "American First"..the heck with the rest of the world.  Gads!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And what was with the over the top remark that his Cabinet had the Highest IQ in history?!   And were the smartest people ever?!  Why does Everything have to be so over the top & stupendous with Trumpster?!  Gads, he sounds like a crazy person

He is.  And he's always been this way, since the "Prince of New York" days.   He's an egomaniac.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I dont know where to put my thoughts...watching MSNBC and other Networks as well, commentators dont even know what to say about Trump's speech, calling it 'dark & stark".  Yikes, Trump;s speech scared me even more...the whole "American First"..the heck with the rest of the world.  Gads!

It was dark and stark.  As though our country were in deep trouble with a bad economy and sky-high unemployment, which is the exact opposite of the current state of our economy.  There's nothing else the commentators could say about it - it wasn't an inaugural address, it was more campaigning, albeit more somber and grim.

• Love 5