Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

10 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

He is a sane Republican and is so knowledgeable.

Sorry I am not buying George Will's brand of "sanity."  Nice of MSNBC to have him on considering he has bashed MSNBC staff for being too PC.  See below

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/actually-george-wills-been-obsessed-race-long-time/322988/

When I watch MSNBC - it is between 8-11pm  Hayes, Rachel, and Lawrence.  I don't like Chuck Todd.  I don't like Greta.  (I used to like Greta in the 90s, but she had been stewed in Fox's crazy sauce for way too long.)

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 11

It was breaking news on Greta's show.  After that, they analyzed it to death, and it was not breaking news any more.  I got so sick of it I had to turn it off.  Oh my, Kelly O'Donnell caught up with the president and was able to ask him about it.  Breaking news, "he was calm, cool, and collected."  

I was looking forward to watching a show that was supposed to be on CNN, with Van Jones.  They didn't show it, of course, because of the all night long breaking news.

2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I was looking forward to watching a show that was supposed to be on CNN, with Van Jones.  They didn't show it, of course, because of the all night long breaking news.

Last I read it was going to air tonight and was moved due to the pending court decision. 

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 5:59 AM, shok said:

The man behind Mitch McConnell was Jefferson Sessions himself and he was sure digging for boogers and then he kept checking his handkerchief to see if he had dug out any keepers. Eeeew.

Oh. My. Gosh.  How nasty.

19 hours ago, SierraMist said:

It was breaking news on Greta's show.  After that, they analyzed it to death, and it was not breaking news any more.  I got so sick of it I had to turn it off. 

This whole misuse of "Breaking News" has spread like a cancer. CNN does it too. (And maybe Fox for all I know.) "Breaking News" has been redefined as "anything that happened." Which, since it describes everything (down to, and including, my brushing my teeth this morning--after all, that's something that happened), in essence now describes nothing.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Which, since it describes everything (down to, and including, my brushing my teeth this morning--after all, that's something that happened), in essence now describes nothing.

"Dentists debate tradition of morning brush!"

• Love 1

This whole misuse of "Breaking News" has spread like a cancer. CNN does it too. (And maybe Fox for all I know.) "Breaking News" has been redefined as "anything that happened." Which, since it describes everything (down to, and including, my brushing my teeth this morning--after all, that's something that happened), in essence now describes nothing.

Oh man, sing it. Back in the day I used to roll my eyes when Fox used to use the Breaking News banner for some perfectly ordinary thing that Obama did. Now when I get home and turn on MSNBC at night, more often than not there's "BREAKING NEWS" about something Trump or Congress did hours ago. And usually Rachel or O'Donnell are talking about something completely different. MSNBC needs to cut this shit out. 

• Love 6
On 2/10/2017 at 5:49 PM, car54 said:

I swear Kelly O'Donnell is always at work     She always seems to be in the right place at the right time to get a quote.

I wonder if the media gets to stay at Mar A largo while covering Trump? They must be happy that Trump likes to visit Palm Beach in the winter rather than Crawford Texas like Bush Jr. Obama went to Hawaii which is good but he didn't go every weekend.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

I wonder if the media gets to stay at Mar A largo while covering Trump? They must be happy that Trump likes to visit Palm Beach in the winter rather than Crawford Texas like Bush Jr. Obama went to Hawaii which is good but he didn't go every weekend.

No, the press stays (and reports from) a few miles away. Still must be happy in PB though (like, unsurprisingly, they always looked incredibly happy when Obama was in Hawaii, whoever drew the short straw on that one.)

Today was a bit brutal for the traveling pool from what I saw on MSNBC and others. When Trump and PM Abe went to play golf, the press followed them to the Jupiter course, but then were routed to the basement where all the windows had been covered in heavy black plastic so there was no way to see what was going on (or, presumably, capture any unflattering moments as Trump teed off).  It was a pretty nasty environment so I'm sure they were happy when the event finally finished and they could return to the open air.

• Love 3

A Kellyanne Conway wannabe was on one of the shows yesterday with a male host.  I had the TV on but wasn't paying much attention.  Her first name was Carrie. The host did not challenge her.  Sigh!  I don't watch shows with Conway and will make sure I skip shows with her too.

We tried to watch Chris Matthews a couple of times last week but in a few segments we wanted to watch, everyone talked over everyone else.

It would be nice if Greta and Chris M were dropped and the shows that follow moved up a couple of hours.

Edited by madfortv
Worded better
  • Love 5

I think Chris Matthews should retire. He did a very poor job of analyzing the election last year. He should have known better given his experience in Pennsylvania politics. I believe that he was outraged that Hillary Clinton didn't endorse his wife for Congress which cost her the primary. He is out of touch with his roots.

Did anyone watch the Town Hall with Chris Hayes in Chicago? Was it informative or political grandstanding?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, madfortv said:

A Kellyanne Conway wannabe was on one of the shows yesterday with a male host.  I had the TV on but wasn't paying much attention.  Her first name was Carrie. The host did not challenge her.  Sigh!  I don't watch shows with Conway and will make sure I skip shows with her too.

Was it Carrie Sheffield? She's insufferable.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, oakville said:

Did anyone watch the Town Hall with Chris Hayes in Chicago? Was it informative or political grandstanding?

It was informative.  Chris had the Police Chief, the Deputy Mayor, a woman who worked with a group that tries to prevent violence, including police violence, and a woman who represented police officers.  The room was full of people who lived in the three main police Districts where a majority of the murders and violent crimes are occurring.  Chris let people from the audience speak out and challenge Rahm Emmanuel on his action/non-action for the affected Districts.  There were a couple of taped segments where the neighborhoods were shown, both the high crime areas with their vacant lots and boarded up housing, as well as a middle class black neighborhood which are rarely noticed.

They talked about the history of the highly segregated neighborhoods in Chicago, aided by past laws and actions of real estate agencies that steered black buyers out of white neighborhoods and toward black ones, as well as banks that wouldn't lend to black buyers.  They talked about the need for funding - that was brought up several times - not only to fight crime, but also to prevent crime by helping children in those areas by giving them the education, and the imagination and means, to lift themselves out of poverty.  Chris talked with a man from the audience who ran a program that took black kids on field trips so they could see the kinds of jobs there are in the city, so they don't grow up thinking their options are only gangs or basketball players.  They talked about funding for tax breaks for businesses to open in their neighborhoods - one of them mentioned the Jay's Potato Chip factory that had been the source of many jobs in the area that shut down, and then all those people were out of work with no other jobs to go to.  The police chief talked about funding for more police officers, funding for neighborhood organizations. 

They also talked a little about the positives of Chicago, and that maybe Trumputin needs to visit and see that it's not all inner city black war zone.  It seemed like pretty much everyone felt insulted by Trumputin's comments about Chicago and his threat to "send in the Feds" even if they were angry about what is happening and wanted more action.  The Feds were not the action they wanted, unless that meant funding and experts to help the communities in need.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8

Ugh, MTP this morning with Steve Miller, who kept talking over Chuck's questions at 60 MPH and already being slammed for all the false claims (immigrants, voter fraud, etc.).  Later, I read that Miller had been reading from a teleprompter, and I'll have to watch again tonight to see if that looks like what he is doing.  That also implies that he had the questions in advance.  I also saw on the "rogue POTUS staff" Twitter account that Trump liked the way the teleprompter responses kept Miller "on message" (a false, false message, but whatever), and wants his surrogates to use teleprompters whenever possible.  So, we need to watch for the remote-location interviews on MSNBC to see if this becomes a thing.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

^^^^ Great report! ^^^^  Thanks @izabella!!!

Thanks @Izabella. I plan to visit Chicago this year, so I was wondering what's going on in the city. Some friends have assured me that the downtown area is safe but I should stay away from the "South Side". I wanted to see the White Sox play the Blue Jays in baseball.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, oakville said:

Thanks @Izabella. I plan to visit Chicago this year, so I was wondering what's going on in the city. Some friends have assured me that the downtown area is safe but I should stay away from the "South Side". I wanted to see the White Sox play the Blue Jays in baseball.

Not that I subscribe to "staying out of that 'hood"...  but the Sox stadium is right on the train line.  So you just walk across the street, with a lot of other people.  Then walk back after the game with a lot of other people.  You'll be fine.  

The worst part is the actual stadium.  It's so bland.

• Love 5

I forgot to mention an important point they brought up on the Town Hall.  The stats being quoted that make it sound like Chicago is some war torn city are misleading, or being told in a misleading way.  Chicago is not the murder capital of the world.  It's #9 on the list in the US.  In fact, violent crimes have been decreasing for decades, a significant and dramatic downward trend.  This past year or two, though, there has been an increase in the crime rate from previous years.  This has happened in other other cities, too, but the rate of increase is higher in Chicago than in other cities.   This is nothing to be proud of, but it's also not a panic situation that needs martial law (bring in the Feds) as portrayed in the media and by Trumputin. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, jjj said:

Ugh, MTP this morning with Steve Miller, who kept talking over Chuck's questions at 60 MPH and already being slammed for all the false claims (immigrants, voter fraud, etc.).  Later, I read that Miller had been reading from a teleprompter, and I'll have to watch again tonight to see if that looks like what he is doing.  That also implies that he had the questions in advance.  I also saw on the "rogue POTUS staff" Twitter account that Trump liked the way the teleprompter responses kept Miller "on message" (a false, false message, but whatever), and wants his surrogates to use teleprompters whenever possible.  So, we need to watch for the remote-location interviews on MSNBC to see if this becomes a thing.

Chuck kept pressing him, but Miller would not answer on the Flynn question...is Flynn going to be thrown under the bus regarding all this Russia involvement?  I was PO'ed that MTP had ex Governor of NC on...he added nothing to the discussion.

5 hours ago, jjj said:

I also read that Trumputin likes the way Miller looks on Camera, as opposed to Spicer who always looks a harried mess.  Trump is all about the Camera!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, oakville said:

As a Chicagoan, I worry that false perceptions of our city have spread so far that you're even concerned about going to a White Sox game. (Which, as @ebk57 noted, is perfectly safe to do.) Chicago's future is just one of the things Trump has damaged so far, but it's an important one if you live here. The truth (from my on-the-ground perspective) is that those areas of the city ravaged by the drug trade are suffering totally unacceptable levels of violence (about which something needs to be done, to protect the innocent residents of those neighborhoods), but that the far vaster rest of the city feels safe. You're well advised not to walk down the street inebriated with your cell phone to your face at 3 in the morning, but statistically, you're safe even if you do that.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, izabella said:

I forgot to mention an important point they brought up on the Town Hall.  The stats being quoted that make it sound like Chicago is some war torn city are misleading, or being told in a misleading way.  Chicago is not the murder capital of the world.  It's #9 on the list in the US.  In fact, violent crimes have been decreasing for decades, a significant and dramatic downward trend.  This past year or two, though, there has been an increase in the crime rate from previous years.  This has happened in other other cities, too, but the rate of increase is higher in Chicago than in other cities.   This is nothing to be proud of, but it's also not a panic situation that needs martial law (bring in the Feds) as portrayed in the media and by Trumputin. 

If Chicago is no. 9, then which unfortunate city is no. 1?

23 minutes ago, rcc said:

If Chicago is no. 9, then which unfortunate city is no. 1?

This chart might not format correctly, but that honor goes to St. Louis, followed by Baltimore.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/u-s-cities-experienced-another-big-rise-in-murder-in-2016/

CITY2016 MURDER RATE (PER 100K)

St. Louis59.3

Baltimore51.2

Detroit44.9

New Orleans44.5

Cleveland35.0

Newark, N.J.33.0

Memphis, Tenn.31.9

Chicago27.9

Kansas City, Mo.26.4

Atlanta23.9

That article is right. Chicago gets all the press. Baltimore gets a lot of press too. I would have guessed Baltimore but St. Louis is it.

Trump wants to send in the feds to Chicago but I wonder what he will really do in all these cities.

For the LOVE OF PETE, will SOMEONE please explain how time zones work to Brian Williams?  He started reporting on the Flynn resignation at 8:05 PM Pacific Time, stayed on the air for two hours, then at 9:58 Pacific Time said, "for those of you joining us on the West Coast, here is the breaking news".  JUST BECAUSE WE ARE THREE HOURS BEHIND does not mean that we get the news three hours later!!!  In fact, I bet that there are more of us tuned in at 9:00 PT than are listening at midnight your time, the ONLY time in your universe.  This is not the first time he has done this.

That said, I completely enjoyed the coverage, especially now that Joy Reid has come back on the air LIVE at 10:00 PT/1:00 AM ET. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, jjj said:

For the LOVE OF PETE, will SOMEONE please explain how time zones work to Brian Williams?

LOL, for the longest time I couldn't figure out why Williams' show was called The Eleventh Hour when it was on at 10pm Central Time.  I'm usually not that dense.

Of course a few weeks ago he said several times that the Trump admin was 8 days old when it was in fact 11 days old.

And will someone explain to MSNBC that they're perpetuating the same mistake they made during the campaign.  They cover every utterance from the WH live, instead of vetting them for accuracy and showing what's relevant.  Right now their "breaking news" is "White House holds daily press briefing."

• Love 8
On 2017-02-13 at 10:09 AM, Milburn Stone said:

As a Chicagoan, I worry that false perceptions of our city have spread so far that you're even concerned about going to a White Sox game. (Which, as @ebk57 noted, is perfectly safe to do.) Chicago's future is just one of the things Trump has damaged so far, but it's an important one if you live here. The truth (from my on-the-ground perspective) is that those areas of the city ravaged by the drug trade are suffering totally unacceptable levels of violence (about which something needs to be done, to protect the innocent residents of those neighborhoods), but that the far vaster rest of the city feels safe. You're well advised not to walk down the street inebriated with your cell phone to your face at 3 in the morning, but statistically, you're safe even if you do that.)

Thanks for the update. I am Canadian and was worried about having to buy a bullet proof vest to attend the game. In Toronto, you cannot bring guns to baseball games. I hope there is similar rules in Chicago

I've been watching MSNBC.   Katie Tur, Kate Snow, etc keep asking about trump's undying allegiance to pence.  I don't get it.  Does anyone think trump give a rat's ass about pence?

I also think it's ridiculous that during his press briefing today,  Sean Spicer kept trying to throw all this back on Sally Yates.  It's all her fault.  I believe at one point he even tried to pin some of it on President Obama.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, stormy said:

I've been watching MSNBC.   Katie Tur, Kate Snow, etc keep asking about trump's undying allegiance to pence.  I don't get it.  Does anyone think trump give a rat's ass about pence?

They keep telling us that Trumputin is very loyal to those who serve him.  If he's all-in with Pence, that tells me that Pence did something for Trumputin, something yuuuuuge that Trumputin feels loyalty for.  Hmmm, what could it be?  Something to do with PUTIN?

• Love 1

Of all the shows on which the Flynn story broke...it HAD to break on "Eleventh Hour"? Gah, why couldn't this happen on "All In" or "Last Word" or, heck, even "Hardball?" BriWi is the worst for covering breaking, big news. He has this demeanor of "weeelllll...kids, I know you're on the edge of your seat, waiting for information, but I'm a little confused when news flies across my teleprompter, so give me a minute, or six, or an infinite number, to ask someone a completely irrelevant question first....Andrea? Are you with us? On my teevee? I mean, excuse me, I mean, the phone? You kids and your technology. And we know it's approaching 3am where you are and the streets are likely empty on this day, which is the thirteenth of February, the year is 2017 and nobody is out having coffee now except journalists at this hour of breaking news, which is the eleventh hour, and, don't go away, Andrea, I have a question for you at some point..."

GAH!!!!

I can tolerate BriWi from time to time when I just need the news to be like an Ambien pill, but for f*ck's sake, MSNBC. He. Can't. Do. Breaking. News. Shoulda just kept Joy on. She wouldn't have been so befuddled by all the goings-on and hijinks...

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 5

Am I the only one who misreads this thread title these days as, "MSNBC:  The Good, the Bad, and the Bigly"?  No?  Just me?  Ok, I'll go back to eating popcorn and watching this start of Trump's Train Wreck of Treason.

Edited by WendyCR72
Please just call him Trump. The nicknames lead nowhere good.
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

Am I the only one who misreads this thread title these days as, "MSNBC:  The Good, the Bad, and the Bigly"?  No?  Just me?  Ok, I'll go back to eating popcorn and watching this start of Trumputin's Train Wreck of Treason.

No, but that suggestion works for me.  [Some, I assume, are] good people, bad hombres, and the bigly...

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 8

Thanks for the update. I am Canadian and was worried about having to buy a bullet proof vest to attend the game. In Toronto, you cannot bring guns to baseball games. I hope there is similar rules in Chicago

We have a provision in IL law that states if you have a no gun sign on your place of business guns aren't allowed and every place I've gone to in Chicago has those signs including all of our sporting venues. You'll be fine.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Pretty sure the rules are similar. You have to go through a metal detector to get into Wrigley (Cubs Park). I assume same is true at Sox Park.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, maraleia said:

We have a provision in IL law that states if you have a no gun sign on your place of business guns aren't allowed and every place I've gone to in Chicago has those signs including all of our sporting venues. You'll be fine.

Thanks! I feel safer now.. I see that the play Hamilton is playing in Chicago. Is it as good as the NY version? My daughter is hounding me on a daily basis about seeing this play.

Thanks! I feel safer now.. I see that the play Hamilton is playing in Chicago. Is it as good as the NY version? My daughter is hounding me on a daily basis about seeing this play.

It is as good as NY.  And as difficult to get tickets to.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'd just like to add that I never felt unsafe at either park before the metal detectors, and I've never felt unsafe at Wrigley Field after them either. And I'm not a guy who is in denial about danger.

I've also  never felt unsafe at either ballpark.  Other than some drunk person vomiting on you...  

I don't ever feel unsafe in Baltimore, where I go to lots of games.  And park far away from the ballpark.  Just keep your eyes open and don't do stupid stuff.

• Love 3

I was complaining to DW about BriWi and she said, "erm, honey, he IS the network's breaking news person...it's why he's there." She also teased me the other night at a hockey game when some really melodramatic music played and she said, "uh-oh, it's the eleventh hour and Brian Williams is here to drop the puck."

OK, I can't argue the facts (or present alt-facts), but I still maintain he's an especially poor choice for breaking news.

• Love 4

These 2 journalists  that are on with Katy Turn speaking about the Israeli visit press conference is giving Trump hell--"He is ill informed, not invested...."    
Trump did sound like a used car salesman --"one state, two states, whatever you guys decide is fine with me".

• Love 1

Hey all, this is a reminder to please keep this forum on track and stay on topic with regards to programming stuff/MSNBC staff only. All else belongs in PM.

Also, I get some have zero use for Trump. But please just stick to calling him by his name in this thread as other names can just cause unnecessary drama.

Thanks for your cooperation.

• Love 1

Katy Tur began her final segment with this quote, and discussion followed.

Where do we direct our outrage when this is the record of just three weeks? Where do we even begin? How do we even remember what to be outraged about? When there is a new scandal every six hours or so, it is hard to remember what happened four scandals ago (what we used to call “yesterday”). That is the fog of Trump. Like the fog of war, it makes decision-making difficult and makes apprehending the import of what is happening exceptionally challenging if not impossible to the average observer.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/14/the-fog-of-trump/

• Love 3
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Like the fog of war, it makes decision-making difficult and makes apprehending the import of what is happening exceptionally challenging if not impossible to the average observer.

Last night, I watched Chris and then Rachel and then Joy in nonstop, breathless, fulminating outrage over the Russian scandal, and then, just for curiosity, I cut over to Faux's late feed to catch Papa Bear's take on the subject.  Basically BOR, in his best monotone, repeated the talking point that the resignation was because Flynn had lied, and that was that, problem solved, and he was done in two minutes, on to the next topic.  

And given the relative size of the Faux audience, I would take this to mean that the average observer probably doesn't give a shit.  It's going to take a smoking gun bigger than Watergate (and it has to be bigger because Nixon's Congress was Democratic-controlled) to get most, but not all, people to care.  And it's going to require outlets like MSNBC to stop carrying DJT's every utterance during the day and then trying to refute it at night like a batter swinging after the ball's in the catcher's mitt.  Just because you have 24 hour availability doesn't mean you automatically give free air time to the party in power.  And it's going to require outlets like MSNBC, even though they have 24/7 time available, to start cherry-picking their issues and stop fucking labeling everything BREAKING NEWS.  

• Love 12