Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15: Farewell Season Spoilers Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes all of that did happen, but Scotty basically ended up causing Jaycee, a little 15 year old boy, to get kicked out of his group so they could make room for Scotty.

Well, it wasn't so much that Jaycee got the boot to make room for Scotty as much as when Scotty joined the group, they were able to cut Jaycee (there was a rule that year that you had to have contestants from both days of lines. What usually happens is that the people who do the line auditions the first day form groups and get 24 extra hours to practice than those on the second day. So, they introduced a rule that each group had to have people from each day which of course upset the already formed groups who had to make room for at least one new member. Jaycee and Scotty were both second dayers, so once Scotty joined, the rest of the group which was already more cohesive were able to cut the less able Jaycee who had joined the group earlier).  The entire group got a lecture about how mean they were from one of the judges (Steven?) and Scotty apologized for not doing enough to protect Jaycee (although, he was not present when Jaycee was cut).

The next day, Scotty sealed his bad Hollywood edit by completely messing up the lyrics for a song (the infamous "Nuts of Wonder") and not getting cut. Combine it with him singing "Lock Them Doors" every chance he got in Hollywood and people concluded he knew one song. He came into the Live rounds pretty much hated in the Idolsphere (but not as much as the guy who engineered Jaycee's exit), but a rock solid semi-final performance started changing people's minds.

Hollywood non-appearances can sometimes be rectified (Kelly and Kris were both almost non-existent), but bad Hollywood edits are hard to rectify in the voting rounds.

According to the spoilers, not having a presence in Hollywood guaranteed your elimination in this round.  They definitely knew who they were going to keep going into this round and they edited the show to reflect that.

Edited by kili
  • Love 1

According to the spoilers, not having a presence in Hollywood guaranteed your elimination in this round.  They definitely knew who they were going to keep going into this round and they edited the show to reflect that.

It definitely stacks it against you.  I remember one year (season 6? An earlier one?) when a boy who got virtually NO exposure at all made it to the early voting rounds. He sang his song and the next night he was voted out.  He complained on stage that he didn't get any camera time during the audition and that caused him to have a disadvantage over those who did get exposure.  Simon snotted at him that if he wanted to get votes he should have tried harder to make an impact.  I really thought that was disingenuous of Simon and that the boy was exactly right.  There were contestants who already got ample camera time so when they made it to the voting rounds, if they made a mistake or had a bad night, their fans would likely forgive them and vote them though anyway.  He didn't have that luxury because the show didn't give him the chance to develop fans who would support him.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

I remember seeing Kris Allen sing "Man in the Mirror" on the top 36 during his season. He hadn't been featured at all prior to that, so I was all "Who the heck is that guy?" followed by "Please let that man stay on my television for a few more weeks at the very least." 

• Love 3

it doesn't surprise me that they focus test and otherwise test marketing appeal of the contestants before they put them through. I thought Shelby Z had a lot of time shown to be so summarily cut. You are right about the rest of them getting little time on air.

I remember seeing Kris Allen sing "Man in the Mirror" on the top 36 during his season. He hadn't been featured at all prior to that, so I was all "Who the heck is that guy?" followed by "Please let that man stay on my television for a few more weeks at the very least." 

You missed him in the group round! White Chocolate's I Want You Back remains one of the best group performances in my book, although the star of that performance was actually Matt.

• Love 2

While this isn't a spoiler per se, it's an observation re: the above convo so hope it's okay ... for whatever reason, I do think that for this final season they decided that they would make sure all of the viewers were well aware of and familiar with each finalist before the audience voting started ... hence, the decision that they judges would handle all of the early cuts and, in fact, take control of the NEXT set of cuts before letting the audience vote a few folks back in the week before full audience voting begins.

There were no surprises, no hidden sleepers that we'd have time to allow to grow on us, and no "unpleasant surprises" ... I feel like, for whatever reason, they want to be sure that no matter who wins out of the Top 10, they'd be okay with any of them and they're doing everything in their power to make sure of that.

And honestly I guess I understand that. They've definitely been ... I can't think of the word for it, when you're caught unaware by an unpleasant surprise ... like Taylor Hicks winning.

Wow, rollerblade, thanks for that. I only started watching that season when the live shows were going on, so I missed all the group performances. That was really good. It was "tight," as they say. They had worked it out well. That's also about as free I ever saw Kris Allen seem to be on stage. I didn't hate him or anything, but I always thought he was kind of stiff in his performances.  

Reported lineup for the finale:

Next week is the two-part finale of American Idol 2016 and there are a ton of performers scheduled to appear on the show. FOX has lined up artists from the past as well as some serious big names to say goodbye to the show after 15 seasons of music and hope. Even some former judges will appear.

The performers who are scheduled to be on the finale include:

Carrie Underwood, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Hicks, Jordin Sparks, David Cook, Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze, Scotty McCreery, Candice Glover, Caleb Johnson, Nick Fradiani, Ace Young, Allison Iraheta, Amber Holcomb, Kelly Clarkson, Blake Lewis, Bo Bice, Brandon Rogers, Bucky Covington, Carly Smithson, Casey James, Chris Daughtry, Clark Beckham, Clay Aiken, Colton Dixon, Constantine Maroulis, Danny Gokey, Diana DeGarmo, Elliott Yamin, George Huff, James Durbin, Jessica Sanchez, Josh Gracin, Joshua Ledet, Justin Guarini, Katharine McPhee, Kellie Pickler, Kimberley Locke, Kree Harrison, LaToya London, Lauren Alaina, Melinda Doolittle, Pia Toscano, Sanjaya, Skylar Laine, Tamyra Gray … The list goes on and on.

A few of the performers and stars will have pre-taped performances and appearances in addition to the live events.

Phillip Phillips is the only American Idol winner, according to Billboard, who will not appear on the finale because he is stuck in a legal battle with 19 Entertainment to escape the “oppressive” contracts from his season 11 win on Idol.

On April 5, 2016, there will be a 90-minute retrospective episode airing on FOX, titled American Idol: American Dream. Then, on April 6 and 7th, the two-part finale will air and the winner will be chosen for the final time.

Source: http://heavy.com/entertainment/2016/03/american-idol-2016-finale-spoilers-season-15-performers-who-are-is/  No idea how reliable that site is.

• Love 1

Phillip Phillips will be performing at the finale.  Nick Fradiani spilled the tea at the I Heart Music Awards, that he, Phillip, Kris Allen, Lee Dewyze, David Cook will be doing a tribute to David Bowie.

For the last 3 years of the Forbes most successful Idols list, he has ranked as the top earning male winner.

He just announced a big 40+ city summer tour.

• Love 1

I'm afraid the only way to fit in performances from everybody invited to be there is with group sings in which everybody gets a four syllable solo.

I guess I should be grateful to the producers that they're making it increasing easy for me to say good-bye to what used to be one of my favorite shows.

Phillip Phillips will be performing at the finale.  Nick Fradiani spilled the tea at the I Heart Music Awards, that he, Phillip, Kris Allen, Lee Dewyze, David Cook will be doing a tribute to David Bowie.

For the last 3 years of the Forbes most successful Idols list, he has ranked as the top earning male winner.

He just announced a big 40+ city summer tour.

So they decided to let the show's least dynamic winners do a tribute to one of music's most dynamic performers?  Alrighty, then.

• Love 5

I like Phillip and I'm sure the contracts are oppressive but I read one of his beefs is they had him do a 30 minute performance for Jet Blue in exchange for a break on travel costs for the next year's Idol tour, which didn't benefit him directly.  And he didn't get final say on his album name.  Seems a little nitpicky, in the grand scheme.  I hope he didn't cut his own throat.  I haven't heard any music from him on the radio or elsewhere since his last Idol appearance. 

Just stop into Kohls on a weekday afternoon and you will hear that schlocky "Home" song on the Muzak playlist. ((Truthful. Not snark.))

Nick Fradiani spilled the tea at the I Heart Music Awards, that he, Phillip, Kris Allen, Lee Dewyze, David Cook will be doing a tribute to David Bowie.

Oh, good god......did Adam Lambert cancel at the last second, and our eyes and ears are going to assaulted by this?

• Love 2

I like Phillip and I'm sure the contracts are oppressive but I read one of his beefs is they had him do a 30 minute performance for Jet Blue in exchange for a break on travel costs for the next year's Idol tour, which didn't benefit him directly. And he didn't get final say on his album name. Seems a little nitpicky, in the grand scheme. I hope he didn't cut his own throat. I haven't heard any music from him on the radio or elsewhere since his last Idol appearance.

Yeah, I haven't been able to wrap my head around his lawsuit: 19E handed him the song that made him successful, and he applied to be on Idol after 10 previous seasons had made it fairly clear how the contacts work.

P2 has always frustrated me. I know he was ill during the show, but he always seemed unwilling to take anybody's advice and as a result trotted out the same mediocre performance every single week. My breaking point was him in a dirty grey t-shirt standing next to Joshua and Jessica who were dressed to the nines, and knowing he was going to win despite the other two working their asses off and putting everything into each performance.

Bleh.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, I haven't been able to wrap my head around his lawsuit: 19E handed him the song that made him successful, and he applied to be on Idol after 10 previous seasons had made it fairly clear how the contacts work.

P2 has always frustrated me. I know he was ill during the show, but he always seemed unwilling to take anybody's advice and as a result trotted out the same mediocre performance every single week. My breaking point was him in a dirty grey t-shirt standing next to Joshua and Jessica who were dressed to the nines, and knowing he was going to win despite the other two working their asses off and putting everything into each performance.

Bleh.

No, 19E did not come up with Home.  It was Jimmy Iovine of Interscope, who had guided Phillip's career.  19 has a horrible reputation in the industry of mismanagement.  

The problem with Josh - his sound was too outdated and Jessica had to clue to who she was as an artist.  She did herself no favors by dressing up in flowing evening gowns.  No surprise both struggled after the show.  Their mainstream marketability was always limited and TPTB knew that.

It's ultimately the marketplace that determines the real winner, i.e. Phillip, Kelly, Fantasia, Carrie, Jordin, David Cook, Scotty.

Edited by ifoundit

We don't have a Unspoiled Speculation thread, but I predict that the last performance Thursday night, just before the reveal, will be Kelly singing "A Moment Like This", and there won't be a dry eye in the house.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know which corp. entity is credited with Home but I think it came from a contest where viewers submitted their own compositions to be considered for coronation songs, didn't it?  

There wasn't  a contest, but Home was written at the end of 2011 by Greg Holden and Drew Pearson, with the intent of submitting it to American Idol to use as a coronation song for the winner.   It was brought to Jimmy Iovine, who thought it would be the perfect song for Phillip. Holden, who is singer, never planned to record it himself.  But as a song writer, he ended up making tons money from sales and licensing.

Edited by ifoundit
(edited)

Was Taylor a surprise victor? I don't recall it that way, what with "Soul Patrol" and all. And anyway, good on him for besting the super-connected-to-Idol-and-therefore-probably-TCO McPhee, now of "Scorpion."

I wouldn't mind a big group swan song from the Season 2 Tour: "I've Had the Time of My Life (And I Owe It All to You)."

Edited by LennieBriscoe

Was Taylor a surprise victor? I don't recall it that way, what with "Soul Patrol" and all. And anyway, good on him for besting the super-connected-to-Idol-and-therefore-probably-TCO McPhee, now of "Scorpion."

I wouldn't mind a big group swan song from the Season 2 Tour: "I've Had the Time of My Life (And I Owe It All to You)."

Daughtry was the TCO as well as the presumed front-runner.  When he was eliminated in 4th place that was considered "the shock boot"--not only for season 5 but of all seasons.  The expressions on the faces of the other three was priceless.  

• Love 1

The problem with Josh - his sound was too outdated and Jessica had to clue to who she was as an artist.  She did herself no favors by dressing up in flowing evening gowns.  No surprise both struggled after the show.  Their mainstream marketability was always limited and TPTB knew that.

It's ultimately the marketplace that determines the real winner, i.e. Phillip, Kelly, Fantasia, Carrie, Jordin, David Cook, Scotty.

Not sure what you're talking about. During season 10-12, TPTB were basing TCOs entirely on who Iovine wanted. He obviously thought people like Jessica, Amber Holcomb, and Lauren Alaina were the most marketable, so they were pimped more than the others (and he picked up two of them after the show despite the fact that they didn't win). What decided the victories of American Idol the Iovine seasons was the show's older viewers--not the marketplace.

Not sure what you're talking about. During season 10-12, TPTB were basing TCOs entirely on who Iovine wanted. He obviously thought people like Jessica, Amber Holcomb, and Lauren Alaina were the most marketable, so they were pimped more than the others (and he picked up two of them after the show despite the fact that they didn't win). What decided the victories of American Idol the Iovine seasons was the show's older viewers--not the marketplace.

Iovine not only gave Home to P2 to perform for his third song in the final--he provided kick-ass drums, and back-up singers.  Jessica was overwhelmed by that one performance ensuring P2 would be the next Idol.  So, yes Iovine was very involved.

• Love 1

Iovine not only gave Home to P2 to perform for his third song in the final--he provided kick-ass drums, and back-up singers.  Jessica was overwhelmed by that one performance ensuring P2 would be the next Idol.  So, yes Iovine was very involved.

It could also be that Phillip was so far ahead in the votes that Iovine knew he'd be working with Phillip post-show and was trying to make the most out of the Idol win. Likely, imo, since Jessica had to be Saved early on.

J-Lo has said many times that she knew Phillip Phillips was going to win from his audition.   He sang 2 songs and he also got to play the guitar - which was not allowed at that point.

Jessica was a Saved contestant.  TPTB actually wanted Josh to be in the finals with Phillip.  During the Idol tour, he got the pimp spot of opening before Phillip.  Of the top 5 EP sales, Josh ranked #2.  Jessica #4.  She didn't sell out in her hometown on the tour.  Both Phillip ad Josh did.

Jessica was signed, but there was little interest from Interscope.  Her CD wasn't even released until a year later.  Whereas Iovine promoted Phillip's CD, to the point of appearing on the cover of Billboard together.

Phillips was the third highest earning male AI contestant in 2015, though it's true he was the top earning male winner

Forbes 2015 List of highest earning American Idols:

1. Adam Lambert -  $15M

2. Carrie Underwood – 8M

3. Chris Daughtry – 6M

4. Phillip Phillips – 5M

5. Kelly Clarkson – 4M

6. Scotty McCreery – 4M

I just read that J-Lo will perform her new single on Finale night.

Oh god.  That's depressing.

• Love 2

Totally agree about JLo.  It just comes off as so self-serving.

The Forbes info is interesting.  Thank you so much for sharing!  I wonder what they mean though.  So they earn a ton, but I'm sure they have crazy-high expenses. I wonder how much they net?

• Love 1

The winners songs are on iTunes.  I'm seeing scattered opinions all over and mostly those with favorites think they got the best song. I'm neutral and I think they're all mediocre to bad heh but I'll give the edge to Trent.  His I find the most listenable right now. Maybe they'll be better live though.

(edited)
Nick Fradiani spilled the tea at the I Heart Music Awards, that he, Phillip, Kris Allen, Lee Dewyze, David Cook will be doing a tribute to David Bowie.

Yes because when I think of David Bowie and his legacy of theatricality and conceptual music and art, I think Kris Allen, Philip Phillips, David Cook, Lee Dewyze and Nick Fradiani. No worries, I'm sure they'll bring out their guitars and "make the songs their own" and make it "organic". 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Yes because when I think of David Bowie and his legacy of theatricality and conceptual music and art, I think Kris Allen, Philip Phillips, David Cook, Lee Dewyze and Nick Fradiani. No worries, I'm sure they'll bring out their guitars and "make the songs their own" and make it "organic".

I bet each one of them has a guitar in hand even though it may not add anything to the song itself.
  • Love 1

Why David Bowie? I'm a fan but it is pretty random.

I enjoyed the retrospective last night and am glad Kelly was recognized for shaping AI's success.  She was the right winner for the show's inaugural season for so many reasons.

I also really enjoyed the fact that so many of the idols recognized/appreciated the show for giving them the opportunity to find success.  Kelly, Ruben, Adam, Jennifer Hudson, etc.

Hee this made me giggle snort

• Love 1

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20598145,00.html

In all fairness to PP2 he had eight surgeries during his time on AI. For kidney stones - I don't know if anyone has ever had kidney stones but apparently they are described as painful as labor. I imagine dragging himself out of bed and putting on his dirty grey t-shirt was about all he could handle. 

I KNEW once PP2 sang "Home" for the first time that Jessica was screwed. Jessica was quite the singer but came across as a very outdated pageant-y type singer (who knows, maybe this was pushed for her to be a contrast to PP2). 

• Love 2

Is Dial Idol still a credible indication of the possible order of popularity of the remaining three contestants? Just to be curious, I visited the site and it has Trent in the lead, followed closely by LaPorshia, with Dalton lagging behind. Anyone know?

(edited)

Adam doesn't generally earn that much.  I think it was the Queen tour that put him up high last year.  

I think that's true.  The Forbes calculations are for June 2014-June 2015.  Since Adam continued stadium touring with Queen through September 2015, he'll pick up another Queen bump that goes into Forbes 2016 calculations.  Those remaining 2015 tour dates, plus the 2016 European summer festival tour with Queen, will all be included in Forbes 2016 list.  Adam may well top the Forbes list again in 2016. 

The Queen collaboration has been unimaginably profitable for Adam Lambert, and he can thank American Idol for the introduction.

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 3

Is Dial Idol still a credible indication of the possible order of popularity of the remaining three contestants? Just to be curious, I visited the site and it has Trent in the lead, followed closely by LaPorshia, with Dalton lagging behind. Anyone know?

Let me guess... they were all yellow (could be safe, could be going home)?  Between the lack of voting interest, the 10 votes per contestant cap, and the multiplicity of ways to vote now, I haven't heard a busy signal on their lines in years.  And with the "predictions" largely useless, I doubt many people are even downloading or using the software anymore.

(edited)

I think that's true.  The Forbes calculations are for June 2014-June 2015.  Since Adam continued stadium touring with Queen through September 2015, he'll pick up another Queen bump that goes into Forbes 2016 calculations.  Those remaining 2015 tour dates, plus the 2016 European summer festival tour with Queen, will all be included in Forbes 2016 list.  Adam may well top the Forbes list again in 2016. 

The Queen collaboration has been unimaginably profitable for Adam Lambert, and he can thank American Idol for the introduction.

With the end of Idol, there probably won't be another Forbes list.  But he did Top the last one, followed by Carrie, Daughtry, Phillip, Kelly Scotty.

Here's a pic of David, Phillip, Kris, Lee, Nick -  the WGWG Winner's group - at rehearsal for the finale.

https://twitter.com/Phillips/status/717844944711458816

Edited by ifoundit