Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

I just have to say, I thought Andy did a really great job hosting the Emmys.  He was one of the better hosts since Fallon, and more consistently funny throughout.  I noticed some of his jokes didn't land in his monologue (I thought the "To Catch a Predator Joke" was funny, even if the audience didn't).  Good for him; even the funniest comedians have trouble hosting awards shows, so I'm glad he did such a good job.  I've always liked him.

• Love 6

There are some new writers.  Plus confirmation on Mike O'Brien leaving.

I see a Good Neighbor guy is leaving...wasn't he the only other one on staff besides Beck and Kyle? I guess that, coupled with the fact that we didn't see a new short from them for most of last season, means that their little 12:55am experiment is over.

I see a Good Neighbor guy is leaving...wasn't he the only other one on staff besides Beck and Kyle? I guess that, coupled with the fact that we didn't see a new short from them for most of last season, means that their little 12:55am experiment is over.

Their director is still on staff, Dave McCary. However, he started at the same time as Beck and Kyle, so it's just Nick Rutherford that got hired late, then let go. Since they kept the segment director of the sketches, I'm guessing they're still going to do them.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Ex-cast member Michaela Watkins on Marc Maron's WTF podcast where she talks a bit about SNL.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_642_-_michaela_watkins

I also heard her Andie MacDowell impression which I wish she had done while she was on the show! After listening to the interview I found a video of her doing it on Funny of Die!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4e8ba685e6/the-triumphant-return-of-andie-macdowell-with-michaela-watkins?_cc=__d___&_ccid=7f0uf0.nuqi6v

Edited by VCRTracking

A lot of people in the media knock Seth Meyers and his tenure as head writer, but damn, if all the things I loved about his era didn't collide--great cast, great election, funny sketches. I don't think he gets enough credit. I think Jost's tenure has been rough-going, it couldn't help that all the big league players were leaving.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 3

I agree.  Jost has improved a lot since his debut last year (though, then again, how could he not have?) and it has a lot to do with him just deciding to embrace his kinda-stiff generic white guy persona.  I feel his persona also helps him land some of his edgier jokes, when he's just staring deadpan into the camera after the punchline.

I have a feeling he wanted his undivided attention on Update.  And so far, I think that's working for him.  He seems to have found his zone.

I think you're right.  There was an article floating around (last year maybe?) where he admitted that he had to lean heavily on Rob Klein and Bryan Tucker to manage the rest of the show while he was refocused on Update.  

Interesting!  I always thought he was on the banned list.  Yay for Adele coming back!

I can already see the sketch in my head of everyone doing their McConaughey impressions like they did with Jim Carrey.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

So every Tuesday night of show weeks, SNL junkie that I am, I go to SNL's website/Twitter page/YouTube page to see the new promos.

But this is a special week. Trump Week!

At roughly 7 pm ET, SNL's Twitter account tweeted a pic of Trump shooting his promos. (The promos are usually shot late Tuesday afternoons or evenings.)

So I thought they'd be posted later last night. But they weren't.

But sometimes promos go up in the morning.

So I checked it out and there are no promos.

Right now, it's about almost 3 pm ET, and the promos are still not up.

Yet I just discovered that The Wrap got an "exclusive" copy of the promos.

http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-saturday-night-live-teaser-takes-swipe-at-ben-carson-video/

Yes, I realize that sometimes some publications are favored and get "exclusives."

But why not throw the darn promos on your site/YouTube page/Twitter?

Why is it taking so long this partcular week? What's the holdup?

Edited by nowandlater

I just clicked on that link and the loser one was part of the group.

Yeah, like a lot of sites, they re-uploaded the video to their site, which is why it didn't make sense to take it down. Once it's out there, it's out there.

I have to wonder if some of the cast/crew are upset about having Trump on, given all the protests against it right now.

I'm pretty sure Lorne Michaels doesn't want any of his staff to embarrass him or the show with any Nora Dunn-like displays of protest, so I would imagine the law has been laid down pretty firmly. Speaking of Dunn, she wrote a good piece in the HuffPost a few days ago about Trump hosting:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nora-dunn/trumping-saturday-night-l_b_8469348.html

• Love 1

This probably isn't a great sign.  Trump is apparently rejecting sketches that he considers too risque or  that he is worried will offend voters.   Doesn't sound like sketches with very much bite have a chance of getting on, as suspected/feared.   Hopefully they will surprise us.

• Love 1

See, and that can't possibly thrill the writers/cast. I can just imagine him sitting there flat out rejecting and waving away whatever sketches he wants. I wonder if as soon as this episode's over, anyone will spill the beans to the press about what they really thought having him there.

See, and that can't possibly thrill the writers/cast. I can just imagine him sitting there flat out rejecting and waving away whatever sketches he wants. I wonder if as soon as this episode's over, anyone will spill the beans to the press about what they really thought having him there.

"So, Donald..."

"That's MISTER Trump. I'm a world class businessman, it says so in every influential magazine, on the covers of which I have been on more times than anyone in history by the way"

"Sorry, MISTER Trump, we have some great ideas for sketches for you - oh, here's one, Taran here is playing your barber, and he..."

"No. No hair sketches"

"Oh. Well, OK then, how about this one, where we do a spoof of celebrity apprentice and..."

"No. I'm going to be the greatest job-creating president in history and it won't look good for my image to be seen firing people, although by the way Celebrity Apprentice got the highest ratings for any NBC show in the history of television, Hee-YOOOOOGE ratings"

"No? Alright, how about a take on The Odd Couple but instead of Tony Randall and Jack Klugman it's you and Ben Carson?"

"No. I would never share an apartment with a loser, even one of the luxury apartments in Trump Tower which by the way is the most beloved building in the history of New York, people come up to me all the time and say 'Mr Trump, thank you for giving New York such a luxurious and classy building'"

"Er...Immigration?"

"No"

"Iowans?"

"No"

"Women?"

"No"

"ISIS?"

"Will I be brutally cutting off their head and crushing them without mercy?"

"Er...not as such..."

"Then no"

"OK everyone! Great meeting!" 

• Love 5

Well it was a ratings bonanza. 

Aside from 2 eps that had major football overrun (by hosts whose other eps got unspectacular ratings), viewership was only behind the Betty White and a Justin Timberlake episode this decade...

Edited by jjjmoss

I listened to it and I thought it was pretty interesting.  They talked for a little bit about the Trump episode, since they recorded the day after. They couldn't really dish on what he was like or any of the politics behind it, but the piece that stuck out was that Update was the only segment where Trump didn't have approval over the jokes (which is probably why they went after him a bit more in that segment) and that in dress rehearsal, Michael's joke about "what era were you thinking about when you said 'Make America Great Again'" was much longer, but it didn't go over well so they cut it.  They didn't really come out and say it, but it sounded like the dress rehearsal was rough for the entire show.  

They did say that prior to this season, for issues such as gun control, Michael and Colin sit in a room and talk to each other about how they feel about those issues, then they use that to write the jokes and get a better feel for the back and forth they do at the desk.  I think that shows, since their interactions with each other have been sharper this season.

Terry Gross also asked Colin about stepping down from as Head Writer; he said Lorne actually offered that to him last season as well, but he stayed as head writer because he didn't know if they were going to keep him on the WU desk or fire him, so he wanted to still have that head writer role.  However, when the opportunity was presented to him by Lorne again this season, he took it - he said that he's still writing the same amount, but what was keeping him too busy while performing on camera was the managing aspect (both of the writers and of the show).  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Am I the only person somewhat befuddled by the media coverage of cast member Cecily Strong speaking French being spun like it's some kind of magic trick as kind of insulting?  Go read some of the headlines out there, and then the copy that proclaims amazement that she spoke "perfect French".

Her name is fairly Gallic as are her features. That seems to make it doubly insulting the insinuation that a mere American somehow managed to NOT screw up her own (clear) ethnic heritage.

• Love 1

Here's  your final hosts and musical guests for 2015.

I would have bet money on Tina and Amy for the Christmas show with their movie opening.  And YAY for Bruce and The E Street Band for that show, too.  Saw them this past year live, and it truly was the best concert ever.   Never thought Ryan Gosling would host.  That will be interesting.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

December hosts and guests:

December 5th Ryan Gosling/Leon Bridges (happy birthday to ME!)

December 12th: Chris Hemsworth/Chance the Rapper

December 19th: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler/BRUUUUUUCE (Springsteen.)

(and vb68 beat me to it.  That said; Ryan is a Mickey Mouse Club graduate, from the same class as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and some kid named Justin Timberlake. For me it's an "about time they got him.")

Really happy Chris is returning as I thought he stood out last time (that chicken sketch still gets to me) and...Tina+Amy=WINNER.

Edited by mtlchick