Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

. . . I'm never going to believe that those two people would ever so much as interact in real life were it not for the situation they've been placed in.

That this sometimes happens is one of the beauties of real life. 

• Love 1

Fans of the character Deadpool are petitioning to get him to host.

It's interesting.  The article says a fictional character has never hosted, but I think that's incorrect. Both Pee Wee Herman and Father Guido Sarducci did.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

... It's kind of amusing, but I gotta tell you, I'm never going to believe that those two people would ever so much as interact in real life were it not for the situation they've been placed in.

I keep thinking how odd it would be to be in a position that depends really strongly on conveying chemistry, comedic banter, and basically a genuine friendship with a person you couldn't be more naturally indifferent towards in reality. So essentially you've got to try really, really hard to mold a real connection of some kind with someone you would likely never hang out with normally, for the sake of a job. It's not that I think they disliked each other, but I just had the distinct impression that they had virtually nothing in common except the desk they were sitting at, and so they've had to really, really force this thing to happen, which I don't think was ever the case with past co-anchors. Kinda funny.

Well, what's interesting is that they were friends before they were WU anchors - from both of their accounts, they were friends for a couple of years prior to Michael joining the show, and it was Colin that pushed for him to get hired as a writer. I'm pretty sure that Tim Robinson is Michael's writing partner for sketches, but it's not like Colin and Michael are two complete strangers that never spoke to each other before the fall of 2014.

I think their start was rocky because they both had an extraordinary amount of pressure and expectations set on them before they even said the first joke. Colin, because he was the one that stayed behind the desk instead of Ceicily (when most had pegged him as the problem), and Michael, because people assumed he'd be killing it - I remember a TON of posts before he started saying that he'd probably be anchoring solo before that season was out, and that he'd be showing up Colin left and right. And, as it is, I think what they probably saw as comics/friends ribbing each other (with Michael's swipes at Colin), a lot of people saw as two guys who didn't like each other.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Yes, I don't see it as a "forced"relationship at all, especially when they already knew each other.I never had a problem with either one of them, and WU has quickly become my favorite part of SNL. They just had to find their voices. I thought Cecily was pulled from the desk because she is stronger in sketches.

• Love 1

Kanye had reason to be pissed.  However, it's the "I am more influential than Picasso or Kubrick and my shit smells like daisies" stuff that makes people hate him, including me.  For one thing he's just so ridiculously wrong.  His posse needs to start slapping that shit down, not keep egging it on. 

• Love 1

Nice picture with POTUS. But..maybe I'm old, but you'd think Jay Pharaoh would dress a little nicer than you would if you were going to dinner at Applebee's. It's the President, for goodness sake. It looks like Jay got a fresh haircut, but sneakers and khakis????? I know Obama is a hip, down with pop-culture kind of President, but still. Show a little respect for the fact that you're standing in the friggin' Oval Office, Dude. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Well you had a major celebrity have a knipshen while at SNL.  How is that off-topic?

BTW, why is the Jonah Hill thread locked?  It hasn't even happened yet. 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1

Ariana Grande is pulling double duty for the March 12 show.

As someone who used to babysit kids that watched Sam and Cat, I hope she's grown past using that obnoxious ACTING voice. I used to beg the kids to change the channel when that show came on, it was so grating.

• Love 1

If there was going to be a Disney/Nickelodeon kid doing double duty, I would've much preferred Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato. Actually, with the Voice starting up again, Christina Aguilera would've been a great choice; she was a fantastic host previously. I mean, I'm sure she'll be fine, because the former Disney/Nickelodeon kids usually are pretty good, but she is just someone that I have no real interest in.

• Love 1

I think that's the same clothes Jay wore in the music video he shot with Michelle Obama, so maybe the whole thing was done on a tight schedule.

Demi Lovato would have been a great host.....she was funny on the X-Factor and would probably be down for anything. They should have let her do the double-duty slot on March 12 instead of being Tracy Morgan's musical guest, and put Donut Licker in that slot instead.

The headline on other sites "I will never speak to Kristen Wiig again." made it seem like Kristen did something to offend John Goodman when really he just meant he felt embarrassed after rudely interrupting a conversation she was having with someone at a party. I hate when the do that for clickbait. I was wondering why he felt nervous meeting her as if they never met before so I checked IMDB and he actually never hosted SNL when Kristen Wiig was a cast member.

It's also sad that he felt his age the last time he hosted and didn't have the energy anymore.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Russell will be interesting.  I can see it going either way.  If he's willing to make fun of himself and have fun, it will probably be a good show.  But if the infamously temperamental Russell shows up, oh boy.

I'll say this much for Crowe, the movie he'll be promoting on that appearance looks hilarious, not that it really means much in terms of how successful he'll be on this show.

As for JLD, I'm a big fan, but I have to admit that the last season or two I've been enjoying the supporting characters on Veep more than her.

Russell Crowe.... Uh... I'll try to keep an open mind.

You just know that we are going to get some very bad Australian accents and "shrimp on the Barbie" stuff, probably while nterrupting him during his monologue.

Odds on a Ryan Gosling guest appearance since they are in the movie together = something greater than 100%?

Odds on a Ryan Gosling guest appearance since they are in the movie together = something greater than 100%?

It's possible, but I don't think it's a given.  They didn't have Wiig on with Melissa McCarthy.

I think Russell Crowe will be fine.   I had a much worse feeling about Ariana  Grande, and that worked out better than I could have imagined.

This statement about the Sanders campaign in New York seems to be written by a fan of Stefon:

Want proof that the Sanders team really wants a Cinderella win in New York? They outspent the Clinton team by $3 million in ad buys, cashing in $6.8 million total in the state. Sanders also made New York’s hottest clubs … its parks. He threw marquee rallies in areas where “the youth” congregate, Manhattan’s Washington Square Park and Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, and they had everything: about 28,000 people each, revolution, guys wearing graphic T’s with a frumpy 74-year-old’s head plastered all over them, Vampire Weekend, birds, Wall Street reform talk and in all likelihood, some psychotropics.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/new-york-primary-presidential-election-2016/

• Love 4

Fewer commercial breaks is nice, but idk how I feel about more product integration in sketches. I feel like that could compromise creativity and lower morale. I doubt the writers want to spend their time essentially creating pitches for products they don't give a shit about. If they wanted to do that, they'd have gone into advertising, not comedy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm excited for Drake to be back - he was an excellent host the first time around.  Fred on the other hand...I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I much prefer "weird, Portlandia-lite Fred" when he does skits like "Ian Rubish and the Bizarros", "Don' You Go Rounin Roun to Re Ro" or Nicholas Fehn (even though I'm positive I'm the only one that liked that); however, I'm positive we're going to get all the skits of his that I hate, like The Californians, The Voglechecks, and Garth and Kath.

It's strange; Fred is one of the few cast members where I like his endeavors outside of SNL so much better than his work on the show.  Portlandia is hysterical and I love him on that, and when that kind of sensibility finds its way into his SNL stuff, I love it.  

Ooh, Courtney Barnett - I really like her.  I've heard her in session on the radio and she seems to be as good live as on recordings, so that'll be one ep where I don't FF thru' the musical act.

Oh god...Fred is hosting the season finale? Well I guess this probably means we'll get like 5 sketches, each lasting like 15 minutes long. All his sketches always seem to drag on and on and on until the joke is drilled into your head in some weird avant garde attempt at comedy.

• Love 2

Fred hosting the finale is so random. It reads like they couldn't find anyone else.  I'm sure there will be lots of cameos. The Californians is exactly right.  I sorta feel like I've already seen the show, and it was just announced.

• Love 3
(edited)

The one thought that did cross my mind when I saw Fred was hosting was that if this is indeed Kenan's last season, maybe they wanted a former cast member for the finale when he gets his send off. That way, you can have as many former cast member cameos as you want without making the host incidental.

That still doesn't completely explain why Fred would be that cast member, but that is the thought that crossed my mind.  I actually thought they'd maybe try and get Andy Samberg for the finale, especially considering he's in the middle of promoting his new movie. 

Completely separate from that, I saw that the new round of Old Navy commercials feature Cecily, Nasim, and Jay (with Kumail Nanjiani). 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

I'm surprised it's not Wiig to promote Ghostbusters, actually.

Oh I'd bet good money she'll be there. She hasn't crashed all season, she's due an appearance.

Oh and those Old Navy commercials are hilarious. I also just saw Maya in a commercial for Seventh Generation cleaning products. There were kids in the background, I wonder if they were her real children.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 1