Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

Is this season set up to have a new show every other week, with repeats from this season in between?

They do 10 episodes in the fall.

This and last season, it's broken down like this:

Start the season with 3 episodes.

Take 1 week off.

Then 2 episodes, the 2nd of which is the Halloween episode.

Take 1 week off.

Then 2 episodes, the 2nd of which is the pre-Thanksgiving episode.

Take a week off for Thanksgiving weekend.

Then 3 December episodes, the last of which is the Christmas episode.

It's always a variation of the above.

Two years ago, it was: 2 / 3 / 3 / 2 (but that season started on Sept. 15, while this season began on Sept. 27.)

Three years ago, it was 4 // 3 / 3

Four years ago, it was 3 / 2 / 2 / 3 (like this year).

/ = 1 week off

// = 2 weeks off

• Love 2

Random notes:

Today is Lorne Michaels' 70th birthday.

Yesterday was Pete Davidson's 21st.

And I'm currently listening to John Mulaney's WTF podcast...I'm on the part where he is asked if he was heir apparent for Weekend Update....He says there's no heir apparents.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_551_-_john_mulaney

Mulaney might've been great for WU.

Also, I live not far from this utility box mural in front of The Lonely Island's high school. I've always been meaning to post a picture of it...

2vaayr5.png

Edited by nowandlater

I know she's not on the show anymore, but Lorne sent Nasim a giant bouquet of flowers for her birthday and it's kind of the sweetest thing ever. I mean, I realize that his secretary probably has a calendar full of important people's birthdays and sends the flowers on Lorne's behalf (I feel like I've seen an interview where a cast member mentioned something about this but I'm totally blanking on the who/when/where), but still. He gets on my nerves sometimes, but it's such a sweet gesture for someone who comes off as so...prickly?...for lack of a better word.

• Love 1
his secretary probably has a calendar full of important people's birthdays and sends the flowers on Lorne's behalf (I feel like I've seen an interview where a cast member mentioned something about this but I'm totally blanking on the who/when/where)

There's a quote in Amy Poehler's book where she says Lorne (his secretary) never forgets a birthday.

• Love 1

I know she's not on the show anymore, but Lorne sent Nasim a giant bouquet of flowers for her birthday and it's kind of the sweetest thing ever. I mean, I realize that his secretary probably has a calendar full of important people's birthdays and sends the flowers on Lorne's behalf (I feel like I've seen an interview where a cast member mentioned something about this but I'm totally blanking on the who/when/where), but still. He gets on my nerves sometimes, but it's such a sweet gesture for someone who comes off as so...prickly?...for lack of a better word.

But Nasim is still under the Lorne umbrella since he produces Mulaney.

• Love 1

Somehow, I'm underwhelmed.

Especially with the Christmas show.  Nothing against Amy Adams, but for that episode, I was really expecting a legacy host or someone more connected to the show.  I think I was hoping against hope that they could still get Bill Murray.

I have no idea what kind of host Martin Freeman will be.  Seems like an odd choice.

Edited by vb68

I got excited for two seconds because I misread "Martin Freeman" as "Morgan Freeman".

I'm a little underwhelmed by this list as well, but for as odd as he is in his personal life, I will at least give James Franco credit for being game for whatever when he's on SNL, and he's not afraid to poke fun at himself. So, at the very least, I think he'll give it his all. Wouldn't be surprised if we get a Seth Rogan cameo too, since they've been doing a lot of joint promotion for their new movie.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Especially with the Christmas show. Nothing against Amy Adams, but for that episode, I was really expecting a legacy host or someone more connected to the show.

Lorne probably convinced her to do the entire episode impersonating Kristen Wiig.

Franco and Minaj on the same show. There's plenty of cra-cra potential to make this one interesting.

• Love 1

I have no idea what kind of host Martin Freeman will be.  Seems like an odd choice.

Probably because of The Hobbit.  Back in the old days, he did a lot of British comedy shows like The Office and Black Books so he could be pretty funny.  

• Love 1

But Nasim is still under the Lorne umbrella since he produces Mulaney.

Oh, I know, I was just using the "she's not on SNL anymore" modifier as a preface to posting the picture in the SNL media thread. Though of course Lorne is still the executive producer, so any media item involving him is fair game here.

Meh to James Franco, but yeeesss to Nicki Minaj. Hopefully she'll do a sketch. I still love "The Creep" and "Bride of Blackenstein."

Also meh to Martin Freeman. I'm don't watch Sherlock and I've never been an LOTR/Hobbit person. Didn't he make some super insensitive comment about rape once? My friend's a huge fan of Charli XCX and said she was awesome in concert, so I think she should be solid.

I literally just watched Doubt last night for a class so I'm super about Amy Adams hosting atm. And meh to those well-mannered British boys with all the stage presence of five dead fish.

I think all three of those actors sound great. Martin Freeman is a great actor and very funny too. I've seen him interviewed, and he's smart and quick-witted. Here's hoping he -- and Amy Adams and James Franco -- get some good stuff written for them.

Oh, I know, I was just using the "she's not on SNL anymore" modifier as a preface to posting the picture in the SNL media thread. Though of course Lorne is still the executive producer, so any media item involving him is fair game here.

Meh to James Franco, but yeeesss to Nicki Minaj. Hopefully she'll do a sketch. I still love "The Creep" and "Bride of Blackenstein."

Also meh to Martin Freeman. I'm don't watch Sherlock and I've never been an LOTR/Hobbit person. Didn't he make some super insensitive comment about rape once? My friend's a huge fan of Charli XCX and said she was awesome in concert, so I think she should be solid.

I literally just watched Doubt last night for a class so I'm super about Amy Adams hosting atm. And meh to those well-mannered British boys with all the stage presence of five dead fish.

To the bolded - I went to go google after I read that, and yes, there are videos of an interview he did where he made a very distasteful rape "joke" (that I'm not dignifying by typing it here). Ugh.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

If it's on Google, well, it must be true.

Receipts (at about 2:30). He also makes a comment about using the invisibility power of the ring to watch naked women. The "Your Fave Is Problematic" Tumblr (which I generally don't like referring to because many times they make mountains out of molehills and end up discrediting some of their more valid points) also listed other insensitive comments he's made about women. Idk, he comes off as very date-rapey.

I think the ratings for the December shows should be relatively high. Freeman, 1D, and (to a moderately lesser extent) Franco will attract the fangirl demographic.

But I thought I'd read from Bill Harder that he & John Mulaney had already had a Stefon movie pitched to them, & they said no (after discussing it, of course)? The whole Stefon-as-son-of-Drunk-Uncle-&-Aunt-Linda in that article confuses me. (Also, as much as I dig Bobby Moynihan's Drunk Uncle as a Weekend Update character, that sort of person as a main character in a movie, at least without some other character or characters to complement them? Oof.)

And I have a decent batting average. I still remember people thinking I was crazy for hiring Wanda Sykes on my old HBO show. I recommended J.B. Smoove for Saturday Night Live, and I just helped Leslie Jones get on that show. She's about as funny as a human being can be, but she didn't go to Second City, she doesn't do stand-up at The Cellar and she's not in with Judd Apatow, so how the hell was she ever going to get through unless somebody like me says to Lorne Michaels, "Hey, look at this person"? I saw her at a comedy club four or five years ago, and I wrote her name down in my phone. I probably called four managers — the biggest managers in comedy — to manage her, and all of them said no. They didn't get it. They didn't get it until Lorne said yes a few years later, and then it was too late.

---Chris Rock

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/top-five-filmmaker-chris-rock-753223

• Love 5

I agree with some parts, disagree with others. The cast is definitely starting to gel more, I think they're the least of anyone's worries (but, come on, Kenan not overstaying? That's pushing it). And I find myself actively looking forward to the last half hour instead of rushing to turn it off after Update so that I could end the night on a high note. I still don't think Colin and Michael have hit their stride, and what's worse is that they don't look like they want to. They appear comfortable in their roles, but that comfort level is still not all that great.

If anything needs an overhaul, it's the writing. They don't even need to hire new writers, just work with the ones they have. I've said this before, but I find that many sketches have good ideas, it's the execution that flounders. If they could figure out a way to make the writing tighter (for lack of a better word), I think we'd have a pretty good show on our hands.

• Love 1

It's time for the top ten sketches of 2014.

You can tell he has a thing for Mike O'Brien.   I didn't even remember Dragon Babies.   I think I would have replaced that or one of his other pieces with The Office-Hobbit parody from Martin Freeman's show.

Edited by vb68

I'm guessing that is connected to this post that SNL recently put up on Instagram. They want people to find their favorite sketches on Hulu or Yahoo Screen and tweet them with the hashtag #BestofSNL. I guess they'll form the polls after tabulating the nominations.

This would be for that live Feb. special?

It would be hilarious if Sia performed "Chandelier" and Kate popped up to do her dance from the Jim Carrey show.

Meh to Blake Shelton. I'm not a country music fan, and I've only caught little bits of The Voice when I'm home on break and my mom watches it, but something about him has always bothered me. I can't quite put my finger on it. He might be good though, I guess he's funny.

And I find myself actively looking forward to the last half hour instead of rushing to turn it off after Update so that I could end the night on a high note. I still don't think Colin and Michael have hit their stride, and what's worse is that they don't look like they want to. They appear comfortable in their roles, but that comfort level is still not all that great.

I agree with both of those points. The last half hour has been frequently entertaining and not just when Kate and Keenan team up at the bar to be really strange with Woody Harrelson.

And I am still not enjoying weekend update. I don't like Jost's delivery at all, and I probably never will. Chevy Chase, Dennis Miller, Norm all delivered the biting lines with a palpable mean streak behind it. Fey and Meyers could deliver the lines with the same bite in a different but equally effective way. The former group seemed to enjoy the thought that their words might make the target feel bad and the latter seemed to enjoy that they got to call bullshit on somebody. 

Jost says the right words, but somehow all I get is that he's pleased with himself.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

I agree with both of those points. The last half hour has been frequently entertaining and not just when Kate and Keenan team up at the bar to be really strange with Woody Harrelson.

And I am still not enjoying weekend update. I don't like Jost's delivery at all, and I probably never will. Chevy Chase, Dennis Miller, Norm all delivered the biting lines with a palpable mean streak behind it. Fey and Meyers could deliver the lines with the same bite in a different but equally effective way. The former group seemed to enjoy the thought that their words might make the target feel bad and the latter seemed to enjoy that they got to call bullshit on somebody. 

Jost says the right words, but somehow all I get is that he's pleased with himself.

I try not to compare current cast members to former ones because I don't think it's fair, and the same goes for WU anchors. But I was raised with Tina Fey, and it's hard not to be wistful for those days as Colin and Michael bumble along through the segment. I try to give people half a season to get into the groove of things, but, well, half a season has passed (and Colin's been at the desk since March) and it's just...it's dull, really. It's got no energy, no timing, nothing special. It's easily the weakest part of any episode, and that's kind of depressing. I find myself looking forward to the walk-ons. The walk-ons. I used to hate those when I was growing up because they took me away from Tina (and Jimmy and Amy). Now they're the only thing that can salvage the segment, and sometimes they're terrible as well.

I think one of the reasons I got irritated that Cecily was booted was because this incarnation isn't any better. I could make peace with it if WU had vastly improved without her, but it hasn't.

And I've decided it's ok for me to dislike Michael as an anchor for the dumb shit he says and does online. I'm sorry, but social media has been around long enough that you're no longer allowed to complain about people bashing you for putting out your shitty opinions on a platform where literally anyone can see them. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinions, but he should know by now that some of his ways of thinking are outdated and offensive and that people have as much of a right to respond negatively to the things he puts on the internet as he does to put them on the internet. And he's still not doing a good enough job to make me forget that he's not that great of a person, and that's 100% on him.

• Love 2
Musical guest for Kevin Hart show is Sia.

Sia is super weird about live performances. I wonder if she will actually sing and show her face. I have never seen her do both. 

But what a beautiful voice. I'm looking forward to it.

You know, I was thinking the same thing at first, but then I started coming across all this stuff about it and I don't know enough about Sia to gauge whether or not she'd want the show making a parody of it. Apparently the video is supposed to be about her and her father and his struggle with mental illness, and it has been getting pedophilia backlash (the girl, Maddie Ziegler, is only twelve, and Shia LeBeouf is obviously a grown man). But I must admit I'm kind of hoping they get Kate back into that nude leotard to do something zany (though I hope someone from wardrobe will be a friend and give her some double-sided tape this time).

Sia says the video is about two sides of herself, not her and her father. Either way, I wish they would have used an adult female dancer. Maddie is wonderful, but she is 12. It's uncomfortable, but I do think SNL could make it uncomfortable in a funny way.