Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Arrivals and Departures

raven

I cried and cried.

Little seeds of love blossomed tonight... Paige and Walter, Toby and Happy. Cabe and Ralph :D. And sylvester lost the love of his life :(

As an aside, the show dealt very well with Megan's passing... this is exactly how one does a shiva - the loved ones sit around and reminisce about the departed. Not mourning properly can leave bereaved people with lasting repercussions. Well done.

#RIPMegan :'(

• Love 3

Well did not think they would go there.  Bye Megan.

I liked Sylvester bringing her the stars.

The moment the baby came out, I knew Megan was gone. :(

I do wonder if this storyline was brought forward because of Ari's injured knee. It's noticeable he can barely walk in this episode.

More thoughts later.

Edited by moontrt
  • Love 1

Slyvester was all sorts of awesome.

So true.  He really sold it.  Everything with Megan collapsing around him and he can still help the team. 

More thoughts later.

I hear ya.  I know they couldn't tie Syl down at the hospital forever, but I didn't want this.  I'm kind of surprised at how badly I feel about it  :(

• Love 2

In the final scene, it was interesting to see Walter hold Paige's hand and to see her notice it. Megan's words to him not to be afraid might encourage him to admit his feelings for Paige.

• Love 4

I am devastated. I can't believe they went there. I absolutely loved Sylvester with Megan. 

Before the crushing blow there were some great parts tonight. I loved Sylvester - 'I have super powers. I'm Bacteria Man.' I laughed out loud. 

Sylvester really is all kinds of awesome (to quote the poster above)

• Love 8

I thought it was hilarious when Cabe told Ralph the chicks will dig it and there were little girls giggling in the shot.

I've really enjoyed Megan up til now but this felt very contrived. I was waaaay more devastated when Happy hit the ground.  And still confused how the fungus miraculously going away would also cure any infection contracted - but that's this show.

Paige and Walter back climbing up 3 floors - wow.

Is Walter supposed to be Jewish?  I thought he'd be Irish Catholic but the telling stories was nice - all in all it felt way too understated. And I saw it as an obvious advancement to get past Walter's walls and onto the hand holding with Paige - and my gosh - if he doesn't trust her by now, he does have issues. Although her cringe/jump every time he slammed something was ott  - with a reaction like that I'd think she'd been battered or something. Of COURSE he'd be crazy at that time. For the emotional fulcrum, she's been sucking at it; not sure how she could shine but she's just been like, non existent - except as probably love interest. And why is she NEVER hysterical Ralph may never see her again?  That bugs.

Kind of nice his Dad admitted he was impressed.

Toby rocked - maybe his best episode to date.  Sly broke my heart and it was well played.  I hope Megan turns up again soon, she's a great young girl actress.

So we're off til sometime in January?  I'll miss my Monday night reality defying moments.  :)

Edited by Jlina

Fuck this show that's the hardest I've cried over tv since McDreamy died. Walter's fear was palpable no one is ever going to give this show any credit for acting but that was a really great performance. A lesser actor would have been throwing the computers across the room in that last scene.

Sylvester is awesome and I'm glad Walter's Dad recognized that.

I know there more I'm just processing right now and I'll post back later.

• Love 1

They should make webisodes of Ralph and Cabe having short adventures.

The writers would probably rather do something like "Ralph sets up an elementary school version of Scorpion" which would just be painful.

• Love 1

They should make webisodes of Ralph and Cabe having short adventures.

I like they mixed up the team dynamics, but everything Cabe&Ralph did could have been done much faster by Happy. I mean, She and Toby were in a kitchen/cafeteria with food, pots, and a bunch of people to assist them.  I don't know if they could use the superbacteria on the SFG bottle. If not, still, wouldn't it be easier to transfer that from Sly within the hospital?

I loved Cabe with Ralph. But I did wonder why they didn't distribute the bacteria through the HVAC. Their inability to shut it down seemed like a blessing in disguise, until they didn't use it.

I was as emotional as everyone else, though. This show is strangely affecting.

• Love 1

I loved Cabe with Ralph. But I did wonder why they didn't distribute the bacteria through the HVAC. Their inability to shut it down seemed like a blessing in disguise, until they didn't use it.

I was as emotional as everyone else, though. This show is strangely affecting.

Exactly my reaction....I didn't think I would be as invested in Megan's passing as I was.  All of their performances were spot-on....and that was the key, I guess.

Is Walter supposed to be Jewish?  I thought he'd be Irish Catholic but the telling 

no, he's not Jewish. But in all the TV dramas around deaths, I always think to myself, "If only this family sat shiva for the deceased, they woudn't have to grieve so long." Shiva is the most therapeutic way to grieve over a loved one. So I was impressed that Walter, the one who supposedly has no emotions, instinctively realized that he needs to sit and talk about Megan instead of running away from it like he did until now.

I've had to accept my suspension of disbelief week after week that in every single situation, all the official people in charge seem to be buffoons and the only people around to help are Scorpion. In all seriousness, why were no doctors circulating making sure patients were okay everywhere? They knew how to override the lockdowns of the doors. Why was everyone trapped? Those few infectious disease doctors werent the only doctors in the entire hospital. Why didnt Toby try to get help for the woman to in labor? Etc? There were people in the hospital who knew how to unlock the locked doors, no? Everyone in the entire hospital seemed to have disappeared completely the entire episode. I was impressed though how fast Toby figured out the source of the fungus. of course, the idea that the superbacteria would make all the fungus completely disapepar and cure everyone instantly, as if it's just carbon monoxide that needs fresh air, was ludicrous. But I've stopped questioning these things and just enjoy the heart-stopping drama. At least there were no fight scenes this time! 

• Love 1

Boo! No! Boo! I expected that Megan would eventually die, but I thought it wouldn't be for awhile. This show is usually my candy floss after the heaviness of Gotham, but not tonight. The ever-growing fungus grossed me out. I kept thinking that everyone would need a super special lung scrubbing after breathing in that gunk. Eww! The actor who plays Sylvester really carried his part well tonight. It was lovely.

• Love 1

After Sylvester stood up to Walter's desperate efforts to prolong Megan's life and instead followed her wishes, I knew that the storyline had to be leading to her death.  I was ready to stop watching if Walter uploaded her brain or came up with some other ridiculous scheme.  This is a fascinating show because the hero plots are insanely unrealistic to the point of farce, but the personal stories and emotions are at times painfully realistic while also being funny.  I normally hate tearjerker fictional deaths because TV is an escape from reality, but I just love the idea of an extremely anxious person facing an actually terrifying situation, falling in love with a person who will likely die, following her wishes, and staying by her side to the end, and acting with courage and grace throughout.  Meanwhile, the person who doesn't let himself experience emotions, including fear, is terrified and has to be forced to accept reality.  I also think that Walter needed something major for emotional growth, or there is no way I could get on board with a Walter/Paige relationship.  Not that I love the character of Paige, but no one deserves a romantic relationship with a cold person who lacks empathy. 

• Love 2

It's like the better the interpersonal stuff is, the worse the job is. There were just so many things wrong with the spread of that fungus and Sylvester's hands being magic. Soooo many. But the family stuff and Megan's passing were done well, imo, and were very touching. 

But yeah, that building would be hosed down with bleach and THEN demolished, I would think.

• Love 1

I thought the episode was ok but the fungus thing was a bit OTT - starting with the speed and the instant cure. It also annoyed me that to formulate the cure the only person Cabe could turn too was a little kid ! He just happened to ignore all the doctors hanging around outside because a kid is cleverer than them !  

I think the show would be better without Ralph in it as the rest is reasonably believable !

This episode emphasized how much this show can't be bothered, never could be bothered, with connecting up fictional Walter to real Walter's actual life. I mean Elyes Gabel is not a very good actor, but you'd think even he could emulate slipping back into a childhood accent when confronted by his parents. But they didn't even try that (BTW: real life, Sylvester-like Walter DOES still have a noticeable Irish accent).

O'Brien is a bit of a con-artist, by the way. His actual IQ has never been confirmed by anyone qualified--it's based on an unverified test taken in childhood administered by some local schoolteacher--the paperwork for which apparently doesn't even exist anymore. O'Brien doesn't even belong to Mensa, apparently. There's also all the BS about him being responsible for the Boston bombers being caught. It's apparently total bunk.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Knew that it had to end with Megan's death, because as preposterous and unrealistic as this show is, I just didn't see them finding a magical cure for her.  Still, it was sadder then I expected, since I'm use to just simply having fun with this show.  I'll miss her scenes with Sly.  Hopefully Camille Guaty will find another recurring gig elsewhere.

Get to meet the parents, I see.  They really don't look like they are related to Walter or Megan, but it happens, I guess.

On the other hand, the actual case might have been the silliest yet (nah, I don't think anything will beat the train episode.)  A fungus infection that not involves spitballs, sling-shots, and Walt and Paige having to escape back-to-back, but they even find a way to have Toby deliver a baby during all of that?  Yep, classic Scorpion!

no, he's not Jewish. But in all the TV dramas around deaths, I always think to myself, "If only this family sat shiva for the deceased, they woudn't have to grieve so long." Shiva is the most therapeutic way to grieve over a loved one. So I was impressed that Walter, the one who supposedly has no emotions, instinctively realized that he needs to sit and talk about Megan instead of running away from it like he did until now.

I've had to accept my suspension of disbelief week after week that in every single situation, all the official people in charge seem to be buffoons and the only people around to help are Scorpion. In all seriousness, why were no doctors circulating making sure patients were okay everywhere? They knew how to override the lockdowns of the doors. Why was everyone trapped? Those few infectious disease doctors werent the only doctors in the entire hospital. Why didnt Toby try to get help for the woman to in labor? Etc? There were people in the hospital who knew how to unlock the locked doors, no? Everyone in the entire hospital seemed to have disappeared completely the entire episode. I was impressed though how fast Toby figured out the source of the fungus. of course, the idea that the superbacteria would make all the fungus completely disapepar and cure everyone instantly, as if it's just carbon monoxide that needs fresh air, was ludicrous. But I've stopped questioning these things and just enjoy the heart-stopping drama. At least there were no fight scenes this time! 

The scene reminded me of an Irish wake actually. Given we're talking about the O'Brien family I'm guessing that's what the writers were going for. Although it needed some music and booze not to mention the actual corpse (One of the traditions around a wake is keeping the body company until its in the ground) . Sitting around telling stories of the deceased is an essential part of any wake.

• Love 1

There is a real-life Sylvester? I know the actor portraying him was born and raised in California, so I figured you couldn't mean him.

I think the poster meant that the real-life Walter O'Brien physically resembles the actor that plays Sylvester more than he resembles the actor who plays fictional Walter. I know--it's shocking that Hollywood would cast a better looking actor in a lead role rather than casting an actor who actually looks like the person he is supposed to be playing.

BTW, the Wikipedia article on Walter O'Brien has a picture if you want to see what he looks like.

Edited by Athena5217
  • Love 1

O'Brien is a bit of a con-artist, by the way. His actual IQ has never been confirmed by anyone qualified--it's based on an unverified test taken in childhood administered by some local schoolteacher--the paperwork for which apparently doesn't even exist anymore. O'Brien doesn't even belong to Mensa, apparently. There's also all the BS about him being responsible for the Boston bombers being caught. It's apparently total bunk.

Agreed, this show is him playing out his fantasies as an action hero.

I was so taken aback by the absolutely hillarious lack of plot realism of the toxic mold story that I didn't care about the sister's death. Bleach or boraxwill kill any mold. It destroys cell walls. The cells have no defense against it and no, it wouldn't cause any mold to grow more. Spores would remain, yes, but they would be hindered long enough for the hospital to be evacuated. Bleach wouldn't make the hospital habitable, but safe for evacuation. Leaving the hospital would have been fine..although they could have forced people to stay in the yard or something to advance the story. I don't mind contrivances (it's TV, not supposed to be real!), but I draw the line when the whole premise of the episode couldn't exist without a huge contrivance. The blob mold of death was too much. My eyes literally got tired from rolling.

They didn't need to kill Megan. The only reason I can think of to do so was to advance Walter and Paige's romance.  Maybe a sibling conversation would have done the same. Maybe the actress wanted too much money? I'd love it if TV actors would breathe out their reasons for leaving as they were dying....newwwwww shooooowwww, wanted toooooo much mooooney, fiiiiight with the showwwwwrunnnner etc.

I'm glad the video revealed Megan's last words. And they were doozies....although I don't think a guy who works for Scorpion and has such loving friends needs to be told about living a fuller life.

Scorpion is cotton candy so I was still entertained.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2

I like they mixed up the team dynamics, but everything Cabe&Ralph did could have been done much faster by Happy. I mean, She and Toby were in a kitchen/cafeteria with food, pots, and a bunch of people to assist them.  I don't know if they could use the superbacteria on the SFG bottle. If not, still, wouldn't it be easier to transfer that from Sly within the hospital?

Yeah, but Cabe is just entertaining and Ralph needs something to do.

O'Brien is a bit of a con-artist, by the way. His actual IQ has never been confirmed by anyone qualified--it's based on an unverified test taken in childhood administered by some local schoolteacher--the paperwork for which apparently doesn't even exist anymore. O'Brien doesn't even belong to Mensa, apparently. There's also all the BS about him being responsible for the Boston bombers being caught. It's apparently total bunk.

IQ Screeners in schools are... rather unreliable - I think they have like a +/- 10 IQ discrepancy at minimum

MENSA is rather snooty - a lot of people don't join it because a lot of high IQ individuals don't like the super snooty stuff.

• Love 1

IQ Screeners in schools are... rather unreliable - I think they have like a +/- 10 IQ discrepancy at minimum

MENSA is rather snooty - a lot of people don't join it because a lot of high IQ individuals don't like the super snooty stuff.

None of that being true makes O'Brien's stories true.

• Love 1

I knew from the title Megan would die here, just didn't know when/how. About halfway through I realized they were going to go for the "she holds on long enough for Walter to get back" angle. I didn't mind that since there are enough incidents that I believe that's a real thing. So that much I was ok with, got me right in the feels.

Even though this show is completely infuriating logically, especially with regard to her illness in general, I'm glad they offed her here because it was too much to bear all their setup of how desperately completely at death's door she was supposed to be. You could tell just from the way this show rolls they never would've had it be the COTW actually kill her, but you can't have a superbug in her hospital episode and have her come out clean. Too saccharine, even for this show. They presented the totally unfathomable attempt to save her specifically so he could run out of time. Glad it's wrapped up since if she really had MS we should've seen her deteriorate over the next 10 years (if not more), not months as was presented. Girl was walking recently. I mean come frickin' on... sorry I digress. I'm not over her handwaviosis.

• Love 1
Glad it's wrapped up since if she really had MS we should've seen her deteriorate over the next 10 years (if not more), not months as was presented. Girl was walking recently. I mean come frickin' on... sorry I digress. I'm not over her handwaviosis.

Glad I'm not the only one who though the death by MS was more than a little far fetched.  I have two friends who have it.  One is 45 and the other is 35 and both, while they have there good and bad days, are alive and well.  The 35 year old goes twice a year for IV meds that keep her well.  The 45 year old has to use a cane on bad days, etc.  MS is hard on the body but almost all people who have it don't really have too much of a diminished life expectancy.

I will admit, though, that this is my husband and my favorite show despite all the fantasy. :)

Yeah this episode made me shed a tear (or more), I thought they were going to go with Sylvester's miracle bacteria will be inhaled by Megan and cure her illness or at least make her live a few more months or years...

OK, don't know this but is Walter adopted? his last name is Irish, father and mother but he looks Indian, heck his parents could be the ones that were having the baby...

Yeah this episode made me shed a tear (or more), I thought they were going to go with Sylvester's miracle bacteria will be inhaled by Megan and cure her illness or at least make her live a few more months or years...

OK, don't know this but is Walter adopted? his last name is Irish, father and mother but he looks Indian, heck his parents could be the ones that were having the baby...

None of it makes sense, because he looks like his sister, but neither of them really look like the parents. So if they were adopted, they were adopted together. Then again this is fictional Walter. The thing is that while real Walter, as we've said, looks a lot more like Sylvester than he does fictional Walter, the one thing that's "accurate" is that real Walter also looks kind of swarthy and vaguely "ethnic"--not even remotely like Elyes Gabel, but certainly not like "standard Irish". It makes me think that real O'Brian's mother might be ethnically something else and that just fell apart a bit between the casting of Gabel and the actress playing the sister, and the one playing the mother.

f79pJuL.jpg

Edited by Kromm

That reminds me of Toby's line from an earlier episode:

"There are porn stars in Mensa."

In the show, snooty about having a high IQ doesn't seem to bother Walter at all; I don't know if that's true IRL.  I liked how they played with that a little in the epidemiologist who said "who are you" and Walter said "A team of geniuses who..." and she said "good for you" and hung up.  Then they hacked the PA system to try to save her and her team.

• Love 1

Glad I'm not the only one who though the death by MS was more than a little far fetched.  I have two friends who have it.  One is 45 and the other is 35 and both, while they have there good and bad days, are alive and well.  The 35 year old goes twice a year for IV meds that keep her well.  The 45 year old has to use a cane on bad days, etc.  MS is hard on the body but almost all people who have it don't really have too much of a diminished life expectancy.

I will admit, though, that this is my husband and my favorite show despite all the fantasy. :)

We had a neighbor who was diagnosed while in medical school (in the fifties) and, based on the diagnosis, chose radiology as his field.  He had a long and distinguished career at the VA hospital in Long Beach and lived to a pretty good age.  So, yeah, this seemed pretty strange, but I suppose any disease can affect a person in an atypical fashion.

The thing is that while real Walter, as we've said, looks a lot more like Sylvester than he does fictional Walter, the one thing that's "accurate" is that real Walter also looks kind of swarthy and vaguely "ethnic"--not even remotely like Elyes Gabel, but certainly not like "standard Irish".

He's probably what they call "Black Irish."

I don't follow Scorpion closely. I think I've only seen three episodes, and recently. (Do they mention the fact that they're geniuses in every episode?). So imagine my surprise when Megan's video comes on and I start tearing up like I knew her IRL.

I appear to be in the minority: I thought Sylvester's (well, the person portraying him) acting was awful. At first I thought it was due to hokey writing but by the end if the episode it just seemed like that actor couldn't convey the emotions of the heavier scenes with any realism. Not that I'm expecting Emmy-caliber work, but still.

(Do they mention the fact that they're geniuses in every episode?).

So far, it seems to be contractually obligated.  (And not just in the opening credits, it's usually expressed as why anyone would bring them in to a situation.)

So far, it seems to be contractually obligated.  (And not just in the opening credits, it's usually expressed as why anyone would bring them in to a situation.)

I thought they took it out of the intro, I must just be ignoring ot now.