Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

Question for the comic book fans out there- how do Kilgrave's powers match up to Xavier's?  The JJ characters refer to his power as mine control, but he actually admits a virus, correct?  Whereas Xavier is a true telepath- but when he freezes a room or compels someone to do what he wants is it more like hypnosis or mind control similar to Kilgrave i.e. the victim is still in control somewhere in the back of their mind?

One thing that makes Jessica Jones actually realistic in a world of  tv shows thinking they are realistic. She charges her phone almost every single episode.

Well, she has no land line. And in the first ep she thought she charged her phone but the charger wasn't plugged in. I'm embarrassed how many times that's happened to me.

• Love 1

Her ex may not be the only doctor that Hogarth trusted, but she did trust her, at least medically.

That was how I read this scene. Hogarth might hate Wendy due to divorce shenanigans but she knows Wendy is a good doctor.

• Love 2

I am still thinking about the series.  I think it was too long for the story it was telling, and would have been a tighter narrative if told over fewer episodes.  I liked several parts of it, though I thought the tone and pace were inconsistent.

I knew next to nothing about Jessica Jones, and was not sure what to expect.  I did not realize going in that this was going to be a show about rape and its aftereffects.  Every major character was a victim.  The pain, self-doubt, confusion, and desperation of the characters sold the horror of what they had been through.  Abuse of various kinds tied the whole season together - drugs, domestic violence, child abuse.  It was nightmare after nightmare.  I don't think they can sustain that through multiple seasons, but it'll be an odd shift if it moves into more traditional PI territory.  It think the noir feel that the series started with and ended with is the best option long-term.

I liked the pinpoint focus on these characters and on a villain that did not have global ambitions.  Marvel needs everyday heroes, not just world savers.  They came up with a genuinely loathsome villain - a self-important, manipulative, bored, whining rapist and stalker.  I'm glad he's dead and hope he stays that way.  Though knowing comics and with the excuse of "hey, stem cells" in his experimental treatments I won't trust in the permanent demise just yet.  I liked the focus on the female characters and that each of them was a distinct individual.  Asking what would Trish do vs. what would Jessica do only works if they have different philosophies, and it worked well. 

While Jessica was a good antihero, I liked Trish and Malcolm more in the end.  And of course Claire.  I'm neutral on Luke; I'm not sure if I'll watch his solo series.  Simpson did just disappear, and while I understand this feeds the future I feel like it was more distraction than world building.

• Love 1

It's been discussed in the episode threads, how much this show is focused on the women and their stories and POV's.

I've read some reviews from male viewers and they like the show. I think this shows that audiences can like a female super hero show or movie, if it's done right and written well. Which this show is. Obviously no show is perfect so it has it's flaws but it doesn't follow the typical tropes that we see in most super hero movies with the women. 

One of the scenes I really liked was when Trish was saying they could use Will and Jessica's like "Yeah, no" and never once agreed that they needed him. Then when Will tried to give his opinion on her and Trish shut him down with a last night was fun, but that doesn't mean I want your opinion.

Well I'm a guy, and not once did I ever think, 'this show needs more people with dicks to really grab my attention'. It's depressing that there are people who would think that, when you're given a character as vivid as Jessica has been in this show. Marvel seemed determined to find reasons not to do a Black Widow movie, but have cut their own arguments to pieces with Agent Carter and now this. And in this show, they gave us not just one great female character, but two. Trish was perhaps more awesome than Jessica, in her own way. Traumatised by her upbringing, she hasn't reacted by turning inward and hating herself, keeping others out. She wants to be a hero, she wants to help people, and she wants Jessica to feel that way too.

While Jessica was a good antihero, I liked Trish and Malcolm more in the end.  And of course Claire.  I'm neutral on Luke; I'm not sure if I'll watch his solo series.  Simpson did just disappear, and while I understand this feeds the future I feel like it was more distraction than world building.

This is how I felt in the end as well. As I say, Trish was a genuinely great character, and this show serving as something of a secret origin story for Hellcat was a wonderful surprise. There was so much attention to the details of her own life, her history and her personal hangups. She never felt like an adjunct to Jessica, just existing to offer supportive words and a bit of damsel-in-distress drama.

And Malcolm was a revelation. I, like most people, saw him as the comedy character in the first couple of episodes. He offered a couple of rather sad laughs, when he had wandered into the wrong apartment, or he offered Jessica his stolen TV. I didn't expect anything more of him than to add a bit of colour to Jessica's crappy life. I didn't expect to learn that he was suffering at the hands of Kilgrave, directly because of Jessica, and that Jessica would get him off the drugs, make a deal with Kilgrave to keep him that way, and end up with another strong moral presence in her life.

But I have to say, I don't get the complaints about Simpson's storyline going nowhere. It was sad in its own way, and another account of someone being abused by Kilgrave and reacting in ways that were not healthy. Simpson's overly macho reaction to it led him back to his old life and opened him up to temptations he wasn't able to resist. He abused the pills he was given, taking twice as many, and ended up flying off the deep end. But his real purpose was to set up a storyline for season 2. 

Simpson is in a military programme run by the same people who paid Jessica's medical bills after the car crash. The doctor who appears to be in charge will probably know how and why Jessica got her powers, and we know that's something Jessica had looked into, but given up hope on finding answers for. Now, post-Kilgrave, and with Trish and Malcolm by her side, she's going to have renewed hope. It seems to me that season 2 will have that as the overarching narrative, but might have more room for case of the week plots, dealing with the three of them trying to help people.

• Love 9

I love Jessica, she's exactly the kind of character I'm drawn too. When they are too good and nice, I find them boring. I like my characters with a hard edge but soft in the inside. That's what Jessica is. She may act all hard and tough but deep down she cares and wants to help people. That and she's been completely traumatized by an evil madman. She's damaged and broken, getting people to like her is not even a priority at this point. She is who she is and doesn't hide that. You either take her or leave her and as we see as the show progressed a lot of them choose to take her.

Well put, ITA.

Is it possible that Robyn could evolve morph into some kind of villain in the next series? She has the emotional trauma and revenge thing going for her.

Ugh, please not! I didn't mind her as the crazy neighbor, but hated her and her story in "1000 cuts". That was mostly due to how it felt like a lazy plot device (more on that below), but I don't think the character could work in any way as some sort of villain. If she has to return, make her a minor annoyance Jessica has to deal with, but please not more.

Personally I find him so vile I think he's the best villain ever. In the larger scheme of things I could give a flying f--k if Ultron throws a giant Vibranium rock and destroys the planet. That sounds like a fast pain free way to go, and since *everyone's* family and loved ones all go out at once, there's no emotional pain or grieving spread around. Kilgrave on the other hand tore the very heart and soul in varying levels, of hundreds of people at a low estimate, given his age and how old he was when his powers manifested. 

I think that was what worked so well about him - he wasn't your run-of-the-mill "I want to take over/destroy the world because I'm evil *muhahahah*" kind of villain, but was menacing on a much more personal level. A lot of times people confuse raising the stakes with raising the scale and as a result it ends up just detaching. Here the show raised the stakes primarily by having him go after Trish and that's why it resonates.

This show has to be truly ground-breaking in terms of how few scenes it has with no women present. I noticed it first about halfway through the run and even now can only think of three -- Kilgrave and Reuben in Jessica's apartment, the one where Simpson shoots Clemons, and then way toward the end, I think there's one with Kilgrave and his father (and possibly the men who own the apartment.)

That ain't a lot. Haven't seen any discussion of this in the coverage yet. Has anyone? Would love to read others' thoughts on it, as an interesting reverse-Bechdel Test scenario -- does anyone think it makes the show less compelling to male viewers? It's certainly not like the male characters are less developed or fleshed-out. But what an interesting change of pace, particularly where superhero TV/movies are concerned.

It might if the main selling point was "look, it's a superhero show but here's the twist: most of the characters are female!". But it's not, so I don't see how it could be a problem. It certainly wasn't for me.

I am still thinking about the series.  I think it was too long for the story it was telling, and would have been a tighter narrative if told over fewer episodes.  I liked several parts of it, though I thought the tone and pace were inconsistent.

Yeah, it probably would've worked even better if it had only ten episodes. Another thing I didn't like in "1000 cuts" was that it never felt like these things happened organically, but they had to because there were still three episodes left so of course the villain couldn't be defeated just yet (also the failed kidnapping attempt was somewhat superfluous. Jessica succeeded later, anyway, so you could've used just that). That's the problem when you do a heavily serialized show: If there's really only one story arc, you have to be careful to not stress that one out too much. I think this show and Daredevil would've benefited from either more smaller stories (like another case here or there) or simply fewer episodes. They're about a lawyer and a PI, so giving them some stuff to do besides the big bad doesn't seem out of place.

Edited by Conan Troutman

So after a re-watch and time to really soak everything in, I'm going to say I preferred this show to Daredevil. It took me a long time to get into Daredevil but Jessica Jones had me almost straight away. Like DannyFranks, I'm a guy too and I didn't have any problem with how female-centric this show is. If people want to dismiss it because of not enough men, then...well it's a shame they feel that way to put it politely.

What I liked the most about this show was the focus on the characters (those are always my favourite kind of shows). No big action sequences, no large scopes in terms of story-lines, just people and their every day failings. I appreciated the small things like Jessica having to charge her phone every day or her one (or two) pair of jeans that she primarily wears. Then you look at the other characters who orbit her world. Apart from Kilgrave and Luke, they're all regular people dealing with regular problems which is all changed when they encounter the superpower side of the world. Not enough shows explore this dynamic and I don't need them to all do this but having a focus on the repercussions of being around someone with superpowers is something I've always wanted to see and this show provides it by the bucket load.

Honestly, in my humble opinion, this is the best TV show (and close to being the best in all mediums) Marvel has produced to date.

• Love 11

Wow!

My perspective towards Trish considerably differs from most on this thread. I found Trish to be extremely childishly whiny and petulant, oftimes amazingly aggravating, and intellectually sluggish. I reached a point where I debated whether to continue viewing the program because of that doltish character bungling about while espousing her egoistic 'support' for Jessica.

I realize that Trish was supposed to be a sister-friend to Jessica whose irrevocable bond was tortuously forged from their traumatic childhood(s). However, Trish's behavior did not come across as supportive of Jessica to me. It did seem as if Trish threw mini tantrums when Jessica did not wish to heed or include her. She was simply...tiresome to me

___

Edited by BookElitist

Whew! Now, that I got THE ABOVE off of my chest, I REALLY liked the program, overall.

The somber mood of the series was reflective of the pain, horror, and damage inflicted by the psychopath, Kilgrave. In general, The characters' struggles to understand and cope with their effects of Kilgrave's horrific violations of mind, body, and soul were effectively shown.

• Love 1

BookElitist -  I could not disagree with you more about Trish, but it's always good to see a different opinion.  :)  Welcome.  I can see a bit where you are coming from about the whining - but to me - this was more Trish's way of pushing (yes pushing) her way back INTO Jessica's orbit - she knew how and why Jess was trying to lock her out of her life, and Trish was having none of it.  I saw that as a friend who would NOT take 'leave me alone' at face value, and kept waiting for her friend to come back... :)    I loved Trish's inclusion in the story, but I do see where you are coming from...

• Love 5

Xena, I agree with your interpretation.  Trish was pushy and persistent in the early episodes, but I felt like it was to keep Jessica from cutting her out permanently.  Trish is herself a victim of abuse and Jessica did a lot to protect her, so Trish has to do what she can to help, even if that is just reminding Jessica forcefully that she's not alone in the world.

But I have to say, I don't get the complaints about Simpson's storyline going nowhere. It was sad in its own way, and another account of someone being abused by Kilgrave and reacting in ways that were not healthy. Simpson's overly macho reaction to it led him back to his old life and opened him up to temptations he wasn't able to resist. He abused the pills he was given, taking twice as many, and ended up flying off the deep end. But his real purpose was to set up a storyline for season 2. 

And the drug use and overcompensation as a result of his manipulation was well worth exploring.  But much like Luke's appearances and disappearances, Simpson's story veered around and interrupted the flow of the series.  After his relative absence from the show there was so much abrupt emphasis on his plot, which is more for next season, that it distracted from the other things going on.  I think it would have worked better if he had freaked out next season instead, or if his freak out hadn't involved quite so many bodies.

• Love 3

And the drug use and overcompensation as a result of his manipulation was well worth exploring.  But much like Luke's appearances and disappearances, Simpson's story veered around and interrupted the flow of the series.  After his relative absence from the show there was so much abrupt emphasis on his plot, which is more for next season, that it distracted from the other things going on.  I think it would have worked better if he had freaked out next season instead, or if his freak out hadn't involved quite so many bodies.

I didn't mind Simpson's story because it led to the awesome payoff of Trish taking the red pills and using her perviously established Krav Magra skills to beat the crap out of him.

• Love 4

The screenshots from this week's story reminded me of Wendy's lack of makeup. Even Jessica wears makeup and Wendy's scrubbed face stood in contrast to the other women on the show. I assume it was a deliberate choice -- to show her as selfless and not prideful, I guess? Or emphasize that Jeri was dumping her for a younger, prettier version?

But really, given their personalities, she and Jeri never seemed like a good match to me anyway.

It's also clear that -- even more than usual -- the show is not for everyone and YMMV. I haven't recommended it to anyone I know IRL because I'm pretty sure most of my relatives and friends would find it too disturbing.

I did not recommend this to my mother although I feel she would enjoy parts of it. I do think the over-all tone of the show is too dark and things like arms in garbage disposals would be way too much for her. Other than that, though, I've been touting this series since it was announced. And anyone who follows me on Facebook knows that I am a huge comics nerd... many friends have watched this show because of my pushing it and they've all been extremely impressed by it. They ask questions, too... one of them wanted to know if it was just dark for the sake of dark. I don't believe it is. I actually think it's one of the more emotionally honest stories out there.

Well Jessica will almost certainly be a regular guest star in Luke Cage's series since most of it takes place after meeting Jessica.  

At least thats what ive heard.

I hope so. I look forward to seeing Jessica again. Perhaps Luke's series helps him deal with Jessica's part in Reva's death? And the lying about it afterward? At least give him a chance to understand her more?

Honestly, though, I'm watching Luke's series because they are bringing in Misty Knight and I am HERE ALL DAY for that lady.

Question for the comic book fans out there- how do Kilgrave's powers match up to Xavier's?  The JJ characters refer to his power as mine control, but he actually admits a virus, correct?  Whereas Xavier is a true telepath- but when he freezes a room or compels someone to do what he wants is it more like hypnosis or mind control similar to Kilgrave i.e. the victim is still in control somewhere in the back of their mind?

Kilgrave's power is severely limited compared to a full blown telepath like Xavier, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Rachel Grey or Elisabeth Braddock. Jessica put Kilgrave in that hermetically sealed container to make him incapable of using his power on her. The telepaths could not be stopped that way. They, honestly, don't even have to be present to get to you... although that also depends on their strength. Telepaths have the ability to look into your mind, filter through as much as they want and pull out any information they need. They can make you see things that aren't there, feel whatever they want you to feel, mentally and physically. They can compel people to do or say things and, again, depending on their strength that can cover any number of people. They can pretty much do anything to the mind they can dream up... and telepaths can dream up a lot. That is their domain. People can resist a telepath but it takes strong force of will and, generally, telepaths already have that because they've had to develop the will to control their abilities. I should think that if Kilgrave ever tried to take on any of the above named telepaths, he'd be toast pretty damn quick. Jean alone would turn him to ash in an eye-blink. If Emma were in her diamond form, he wouldn't be able to do a damn thing to her. Elisabeth would take her time dismantling him. All of these things would be enjoyable to watch, I admit.

In the comics, it was Jean Grey that helped Jessica after her first round of dealing with Kilgrave. Jessica had been his thrall for eight months and then he sent her after the Avengers and she got her ass well and truly kicked before Carol Danvers got her the hell out of there. (The first person Jessica attacked was Scarlet Witch who, at the time, was married to the Vision and he came at her with a vengeance...) She was severely wounded after that episode but, also, her mind just gave out after all of it and she went into a coma. That's when Jean arrived to help. And, in so doing, she built a 'psychic trigger' in case Kilgrave ever came after Jessica again. It did manifest and Jean's image appeared in her mind and explained it all to her and told her 'you have to turn it on, you don't have to put up with this if you don't want to. All you have to do is hit the trigger.' A lot of the X-telepaths are well-versed in healing mental trauma as well. It's kind of what they do.

The ending here was different that the comics but no less effective in its way. And I'm happy they killed Kilgrave off... Jessica had more than earned that.

• Love 2

I hope so. I look forward to seeing Jessica again. Perhaps Luke's series helps him deal with Jessica's part in Reva's death? And the lying about it afterward? At least give him a chance to understand her more?

Honestly, though, I'm watching Luke's series because they are bringing in Misty Knight and I am HERE ALL DAY for that lady.

So far, there's no Krysten Ritter listed in the cast for the show. Rosario Dawson is there, and I believe she's likely to have a larger role than she did in Jessica Jones.

Hopefully Misty has a large part in the show, and hopefully she's not got the bionic arm. I'd love to see her just as a badass cop who starts off as something of an antagonist, before the real danger (whatever that is going to be) is revealed. And hopefully she's not there to be a romantic foil for Luke. I'd much rather see Misty and Claire teaming up and being awesome, rather than Colter's Luke, who I found rather bland and dull.

I wonder if Danny Rand is going to show up for a cameo. As far as I know, he's not been cast yet, but he's Luke's bestie in the comics, and he's getting his own show. And, of course, he's been romantically involved with Misty in the comics. Introducing him here would be a good lead in.

Also, I really, really think that this Netflix format is how Gambit should be realised, if only Fox didn't own the rights and want him played by that lummox, Channing Tatum. His thieving hijinx would be perfect for a crime-of-the-week format, while building to something bigger, and he's always felt like he'd fit better with the street level heroes than with the supergroups (despite being an X-Man),

• Love 3

Oh, Netflix would be a great vehicle for Gambit. *sigh* I just keep wondering where the hell they are with that. If they did an origin story with him that was more aligned with Asmus' most recent solo series it would be most entertaining, I think.

I, too, wonder if they'll introduce Danny in Luke's series. I wish they would. Luke and Danny as besties is one of the relationships I love most in the comics. (Sidenote: Danny is one of my niece's favorites in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Surfer-boy/Zen master Danny. She loves him. But she loves White Tiger more.) And, yes, Danny and Misty being a long term item (although recently she's been making kissy kissy with Sam Wilson and I don't know how I feel about that) would be another good reason to have him around.

• Love 1

I didn't mind Simpson's story because it led to the awesome payoff of Trish taking the red pills and using her perviously established Krav Magra skills to beat the crap out of him.

That was a good moment.  I hope Trish gets a chance to put her skills to use again in the future.

The screenshots from this week's story reminded me of Wendy's lack of makeup. Even Jessica wears makeup and Wendy's scrubbed face stood in contrast to the other women on the show. I assume it was a deliberate choice -- to show her as selfless and not prideful, I guess? Or emphasize that Jeri was dumping her for a younger, prettier version?

It may suggest that she is a very genuine person, or just practicality in the life of a busy professional who does not have to stand in front of cameras.

• Love 1

Also, I really, really think that this Netflix format is how Gambit should be realised, if only Fox didn't own the rights and want him played by that lummox, Channing Tatum. His thieving hijinx would be perfect for a crime-of-the-week format, while building to something bigger, and he's always felt like he'd fit better with the street level heroes than with the supergroups (despite being an X-Man),

I am kind of happy that Fox has the rights to the X-men and I hope they hang onto them for a long time. Mostly because I think a lot of the X-men are way too over powered for the MCU to the point where it would change things drastically. I mean Jessica is probably one of the more powered up people in the MCU (she is super strong (stronger that Cap) and can fly). But by comparison to just about anyone in the MCU, Magneto and Xavier basically have god-like powers. Magneto could pretty much murder the avengers all by himself if he wanted to . 

Thank you Dandesun!!  I started down this road after reading one of these discussions about how Kilgrave violates his victims- just seems to me that would also be a problem you'd run into with a telepath.  

I really liked Jessica Jones.  I thought most of the episodes were great, exciting, and the acting was spot on.  I was really disappointed with the last two episodes, however.  I thought the momentum was lost, and there was way too much focus on characters that just plain annoyed me: Robyn, Luke, and whoever the heck Claire is.  I don't know why almost 20 minutes of the finale were wasted on Jessica moping over Luke (although I did like the Kilgrave/Luke twist) and bonding with Claire.  I was bored, rather than on the edge of my seat.  I loved all the scenes with Trish and Jess though, and I thought the ending scene with Malcolm and Jess was perfect.  

I thought that the actor playing Luke was one of the most attractive men I have seen on my TV lately, but he had no chemistry with Krysten Ritter at all. I think this show would have been better served as 10 episodes rather than 13.  It sort of dragged.  

One of the constant criticism is that Jessica Jones makes constant bad decisions but I think that is true to life.  There is another show called Fargo without giving too much away or spoiling too much one character asks another why they didn't do something and the character simply says they ask that like people make decisions in a vacuum.  And I think that is where the criticism for Jessica's failure to capture Kilgrave or her unfortunate choices come from.   Each decision she makes comes on the back of what happened before and has emotional ramifications on her and the people around her.  They aren't happening in a vacuum.   She her admitting stupid plan to put herself in a maximum security prison isn't coming out of the blue it is coming from a place of fear and desperation.  Sitting on the sidelines we can look at it and see all its problems but sitting int he middle of it it probably looked like the best alternative.

I thought the momentum was lost, and there was way too much focus on characters that just plain annoyed me: Robyn, Luke, and whoever the heck Claire is.  I don't know why almost 20 minutes of the finale were wasted on Jessica moping over Luke (although I did like the Kilgrave/Luke twist) and bonding with Claire.

You must not have watched Daredevil  Claire was the Doctor who patched Matt Murdock up a lot especially the first bunch of episodes.  As for Luke' He is there mostly because the next big series is All About Him.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

Claire is Night Nurse a comics character primarily tied to Luke Cage. She's the nurse that treats the "gifted" people. And to be honest the heroes do need someone they trust to stitch them after their many beatings. She seems to be the connecting factor for the shows probably until the Defenders. 

• Love 2

I really liked Jessica Jones.  I thought most of the episodes were great, exciting, and the acting was spot on.  I was really disappointed with the last two episodes, however.  I thought the momentum was lost, and there was way too much focus on characters that just plain annoyed me: Robyn, Luke, and whoever the heck Claire is.  I don't know why almost 20 minutes of the finale were wasted on Jessica moping over Luke (although I did like the Kilgrave/Luke twist) and bonding with Claire.  I was bored, rather than on the edge of my seat.  I loved all the scenes with Trish and Jess though, and I thought the ending scene with Malcolm and Jess was perfect.  

Thank you! That's exactly how I felt. I do know who Claire is. I've watched Daredevil, and I did love Claire on that series. It doesn't mean the writers can just throw her in the last two episodes of Jessica Jones and spend two long scenes trying to connect her with the other characters. It felt so forced and gratuitous, it took me completely out of the story. They could have introduced her and have her take care of Luke for a little while. And then she would disappear. That would have worked, IMO. 

That said, I adored the series. Truly loved it. Jessica, Trish and Killgrave will stay with me for a long time. I adore those characters, I adored the actors who played them, and I hope to see them again soon (not Killgrave, though!). Oh, and Jessica fighting alongside Daredevil? I live for the day I will see that scene!

Edited by maddie965

I am in no way an acolyte of anything or a devotee of all things Marvel, so let me just say I hated this show.  Hated it.  I skipped S01E09, S01E10, S01E11, and S01E12 just so I could get to the part where Jessica finally breaks Kilgrave's neck and spares us all the torture.  They didn't have enough clear story for 13 hours of airtime, maybe five, tops.  They spread it out and tried to keep up the suspense, but it just wasn't there.  

If this PTV allowed graphical icons, I'd plant several puking ones here.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 3

Magneto could pretty much murder the avengers all by himself if he wanted to .

Now I have this mental image of Magneto twisting Iron Man in his suit like a pretzel. It's not a pretty sight.

As an overall comment: Best show I've watched in years.

• Love 2

Thanks for everyone above explaining who Claire is! I understand they wanted to tie it in, and it was nice to see Rosario Dawson, but I still maintain that Claire's long introduction killed the momentum.  Anyway, I liked the show despite its problems.  It's odd because I agree with 33kaitykaity's assessment that the show dragged and there was some FF worthy parts, but I still enjoyed the show very much overall.  

Claire ties Jessica Jones to Daredevil. It's world building and drawing the connection between the various Defenders as their series continues.

I recently stumbled on this show and am a little more than halfway through S1.

I didn't even realize it was a superpower Marvel Avenger whatever show till after the first few episodes.  I am not at all familiar with the super hero world other than having watched a couple of the X men movies.  And, not being nasty!, I'm not particularly interested. 

I do really like this show as is, the superhero thing doesn't seem as..hm...overpowering? as some of the movies look to be.  I like the characters, I like the "normalness", the struggle, the lack of one epic CGI fight after another.  The "superpowers" involved aren't big obvious weapons.  It reminds me a little of Hero's. 

• Love 1

I am in no way an acolyte of anything or a devotee of all things Marvel, so let me just say I hated this show.  Hated it.  I skipped S01E09, S01E10, S01E11, and S01E12 just so I could get to the part where Jessica finally breaks Kilgrave's neck and spares us all the torture.  They didn't have enough clear story for 13 hours of airtime, maybe five, tops.  They spread it out and tried to keep up the suspense, but it just wasn't there.  

If this PTV allowed graphical icons, I'd plant several puking ones here.  

I want to cry, finally someone on the internet who gets me!

I honestly wish I had skipped episodes because absolutely nothing happened for about 6 episodes there. Nothing. It boggled my mind.

• Love 1

I realize that the 'if you hated the show why are you bothering to post' argument is a little played out and specious, but if you hated the show and didn't even watch half of it and you still want to post about how much you hated it, then the show pretty much wins because you still want to post about it. :)

I got bored of Daredevil and only made it about halfway through. I don't recall going back and ranting about how much I hated it, though. I just stopped posting. To my mind, and YMMV, that's what 'boredom' looks like. 

• Love 6

I wish we had gotten more episodes. I could watch Jessica, Trish and Malcolm just talking while Jessica drank. I wasn't watching the show just to see a showdown between the hero and the villain. I was watching this show for the characters, while I liked some better than others I liked watching them interact with each other. 

• Love 1

I realize that the 'if you hated the show why are you bothering to post' argument is a little played out and specious, but if you hated the show and didn't even watch half of it and you still want to post about how much you hated it, then the show pretty much wins because you still want to post about it. :)

I got bored of Daredevil and only made it about halfway through. I don't recall going back and ranting about how much I hated it, though. I just stopped posting. To my mind, and YMMV, that's what 'boredom' looks like. 

People complain about disappointing things all the time. That's like...95% of the internet.  But I get it, you liked it so it's hard to hear that other people disliked it. But thankfully this isn't the Positivity.tv forums. ;)

• Love 1

I'm allowed to express my disappointment at the gap between my expectations of a delightful romp through the Marvel universe to what I got, the actual product, a plodding, leaden, depressing pile of garbage.  But I guess I met your criteria because I watched "over half" of the content before I couldn't stand one second more of the filler and had to go to the "payoff" at the end.  Right?  :eyes:

Each to their own. I think most of what's on American television is unadulterated crap, but plenty of people seem to watch it. This, I thought was an excellent TV show, that explored mature themes in a way that didn't fall short, and that consistently engaged me. I thought the writing was sharp, the directing was clear and clean, and the acting was good-to-excellent, apart from the bland Mike Colter.

• Love 5

People complain about disappointing things all the time. That's like...95% of the internet. But I get it, you liked it so it's hard to hear that other people disliked it. But thankfully this isn't the Positivity.tv forums. ;)

No, I didn't produce the show and I have no emotional investment in other people liking it (additionally: I'm not fifteen. But I understand the desire to try to make it about me). I'm just pointing out that this show seems to prompt some people to be very vocal about how much they didn't like it, and that it contributes to the fact that lots of people are talking about the show. Which doesn't happen when something is merely boring.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2

This show isn't the best thing ever to me, but I liked it well enough. Daredevil edges it out somewhat in my book, because I do like me some fight sequences with crazy fancy moves (sometimes long fight sequences can put me to sleep, but the ones on Daredevil had enough variation to keep me excited).

Mostly I'm here for Jessica's snark. And that did not disappoint, so it didn't matter so much to me whether the main plot was moving along.

And I think The Walking Dead has made me redefine what slow moving is. So these Netflix Marvel shows are indeed on the slow-ish side, but at least they are not as slow as that.

I don't have too much new to add. I liked it, but it would have been better with 10 episodes. The neighbor getting the Kilgrave support group to attack Jessica so Kilgrave could get away AGAIN was straight garbage. In fact, it was getting somewhat ridiculous how every single episode there was some confrontation between Kilgrave and Jessica where he would end walking out the back door.

It's actually an issue I keep think popping up with a lot of Netflix shows. The concept of telling a story over 10/13 episodes sounds appealing but rarely does any story ever really justify that kind of length. The Wire and that's about it. So next season, they either need less episodes or more self-contained plots. Jessica's a PI, give her some PI jobs. 

• Love 2

I'm still slogging my way through the episodes. It's as tough a watch as 'the Leftovers'.

The overall narrative structure just doesn't work. Episode after episode of a depressed, self- loathing woman making deeply stupid decisions while getting her ass continually, effortlessly handed to her by the smirking, triumphant villain.

A self-hating, self- destructive protagonist could be compelling, as long as they were also intelligent. Watching a stupid, morose person fail isn't much fun.

(edited)
On 2016-01-24 at 11:00 AM, clack said:

I'm still slogging my way through the episodes. It's as tough a watch as 'the Leftovers'.

The overall narrative structure just doesn't work. Episode after episode of a depressed, self- loathing woman making deeply stupid decisions while getting her ass continually, effortlessly handed to her by the smirking, triumphant villain.

A self-hating, self- destructive protagonist could be compelling, as long as they were also intelligent. Watching a stupid, morose person fail isn't much fun.

I respect your right to your opinion and I can see how and why you would hold this opinion. My opinion is very different, however. I was intrigued and was very happy to have found this show. I thought it was extremely well done. I strongly liked this show and am eager to watch further episodes. I have one specific reply to your post and that is when you call the main character "stupid". I have to disagree. I can point to the incident when she served the summons. She came up with this fictitious "laser eyes" power and turned the club owner's insult ("moron") around. I would point to this as evidence that she is actually quite clever.

I just found this show today and so far, have only watched the first episode. I like the main character and I like the actress who portrays her. For anyone who does not know, the actress (Krysten Ritter) played the character "Jane" in Breaking Bad and I thought she was great in that show. I also think she's pretty great in this show.

I have a lot more to say about this show. But I think I best watch the remaining episodes first.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 1

I binge watched this show in 3 days. I was so fascinated by it, and I loved the dark tone of it. I think I enjoyed this more than Daredevil season 1 even. It does lose a bit of steam towards the end, but overall I really liked it. 

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show more and more now. I'm becoming convinced it is full of excellence in the writing and also the cinemetography and music. It seems to be just full of excellent techniques that seem to become evident on repeated viewings. Has anyone else found the neighbor twins (fraternal) to be a real scream? I mean hilarious.

I'd really like to know if this show has been renewed for a second season. Does anyone know?

I just re-watched this show this week and I have to say I do like snarky Jessica but I did skip episodes 7-11.  I really didn't like Kilgrave, I guess I wasn't supposed to but I found any scene with him just was like nails on a chalkboard so I FF them. 

I am looking forward to a second season, especially with a sober Malcolm as Jessica's assistant.

(edited)
On 2015-11-28 at 8:29 PM, Sakura12 said:

One thing that makes Jessica Jones actually realistic in a world of  tv shows thinking they are realistic. She charges her phone almost every single episode.

Oh! I just got a feeling of joy from reading your post.

I'm currently up to Episode 03 and I saw something else that makes her realistic. She uses an Acer notebook PC and not an Apple. Seems to me that something like 90% of all actors seem to be using Apple notebooks. Of course, IRL, 90% of people who use notebooks do not use Apples. I always groan when I see an actor using a notebook and it almost always seems to have an Apple logo. What hogwash! Showrunners seem to do that because they must think it makes their characters look more cool. Well .... Bah! .... Phooey ... Spit! That is just so unrealistic. I hate it!

Edited by AliShibaz
(edited)
On 2015-12-06 at 9:31 PM, supposebly said:

Now I have this mental image of Magneto twisting Iron Man in his suit like a pretzel. It's not a pretty sight.

As an overall comment: Best show I've watched in years.

I've been feeling depressed recently. With the end of The Americans and Game of Thrones seasons, I've been getting the feeling there is very little quality TV on the air now. It seems like I'll have to wait 8 or 9 months before I can see any more quality TV.

Please post the names of some other shows you enjoy. I agree that this show is most excellent and I'd love to see any other TV shows you've enjoyed because I'm feeling a serious need to find some shows I've not seen before. Even if the shows are over and no longer being produced, I'd still love to know the names of other shows you would recommend to people.

AAMOF, does anyone know of any existing forums in which people recommend good TV shows? I'm looking for quality shows - even if they are no longer being produced. I just want to find some good quality shows. To give you some idea of my taste in TV shows, my favorite shows are: The Americans, Game of Thrones, Fargo and Better Call Saul.

Edited by AliShibaz
2 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

@AliShibaz Person of Interest and Humans are the best shows I've watched in a while, aside from this one! PoI has 103 episodes, too, which could keep you busy... and it's very highly rated by reviewers and by fans.

I watched the first ten epis of Humans and then it seemed to lag before it produced the remaining episodes. But thank you for the reminder. I will have to watch the remaining episodes. I remember developing some feelings for the lovely female robot. I wonder if that may be a sign of things to come in our future?? (joking)

Thanks for the tip on POI. I remember watching the first few episodes but then lost interest. I will have to go back and see if I can fan the flames on that show.