Type keyword(s) to search

Orphan Black in the Media

(edited)

Holy shit!  Wow!  Stunned!

Last year I was incensed.  I kind of understood why Tat got snubbed after the first season.  Genre role on a first year show on a relatively obscure network just getting into original programming.  All that rot.  But last year I was incensed.  Plenty of people complained after the first snub.  And there was a massive amount of social media and critical support last year for Tat's nomination.  I read over thirty articles predicting the Emmy nominations, and Tat seemed a virtual lock. The vast majority of the critics and TV pundits predicted she'd be nominated.  And even most of the remainder who cynically didn't pick her said she should be nominated.  (Of course there were a couple of contrarians who argued she didn't deserve it, called the multiple character thing little more than a gimmick.  But there are always naysayers for everything  Just cuz.)

I didn't read nearly as many prognostications this year because it became quickly and readily apparent after reading a few more than a few that next to no one was audacious enough to believe that Tat had a legitimate shot.  She might be mentioned as a long shot.  Or it might be mentioned in passing that she deserved a nomination.  But nobody seemed to really be campaigning hard for her.  Everybody just seemed to be resigned to the fact Tat was destined to be annually ignored.

Myself included.

That's how I managed to miss the news about Tat's nomination.  I didn't think she had a chance.  Last year I couldn't wait to find out if she was nominated.  This year I didn't merely not bother to find out who was nominated, I flat out forgot the nominations were coming out.  Somehow the news eluded me until yesterday (Saturday) when my sestra told me.

Truth is, I've never cared that much about the Emmys.  Sure, there have always been shows and performers I've rooted for on both subjective and objective levels.  I'm happy when one of my favorites is nominated or wins.  And I like it when the best (in my estimation) are recognized as such.  But I've never really been upset by snubs or wrongful recognition.  Mostly a chuckle and shrug reaction.  Whatever you say Academy of Television Arts and Sciences...whatever you say.

But last year was different.  For the first time ever, I was actually pissed.  But more than merely pissed really.  I was (to repeat) incensed.  That wasn't a snub.  It was an example of abject ignorance in (in)action.  It called pointedly into question the validity and legitimacy of the award.  Ignoring the obvious rendered not merely the conclusion, but the premise ridiculous.  Picking the best actress from a list of actresses that didn't include the best actress was an exercise in absurdity.  My argument all along last year wasn't that Tat should be nominated, but that she should win.  The nomination should have been a given.

Same argument this year.  But I don't really think it's going to bother me that much if (when?) she doesn't win.  This nomination is, in a strange way, an insult.  A backhanded compliment at best.  It implies that the Emmy voters had previously been aware of Tat's existence, but just hadn't considered her past performance(s) Emmy worthy. Huh?  Ignorance is a less embarrassing excuse than piss poor judgement.

Nonetheless...I'm happy about about the nomination.  Not as ecstatic as I would have been last year...but happy.

The competition is formidable:

Taraji P. Henson (Empire)
Claire Danes (Homeland)
Viola Davis (How to Get Away with Murder)
Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Robin Wright (House of Cards)

Haven't seen Empire yet.  But I like TJH.  I imagine her performance being big, big, big, sometimes OTT, and generally deliciously outrageous.  (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)  Have nothing intrinsically against such a performance unless there's no nuanced counterbalance (vulnerability, insecurity, tenderness...or somesuch) to it.  She won the CCA, so she's a definite contendah...although she's not quite as imposing as she would be if Empire itself was storming the Emmys with a load of nominations.

Claire Danes is always a threat.  Past winner (twice) of this award.  Great, great actress.  Inarguably.  Even though it's a couple of years since CD won for her role of Carrie Mathison, Juliana Margulies won last year after she and Alicia Florrick took a two year hiatus from victory.  So it can happen.

Viola Davis (SAG winner) is spectacular (especially when in "emotional wreck" mode) in HTGAWM.  But the show, otherwise, sucks.  It's a-fucking-bysmal.  The Academy loves "movie stars" though.  And rewarding them with awards for "lowering" themselves to TV encourages other movie stars to follow suit (or so I suppose the thinking goes).  Hey, I'll admit it.  VD's the main reason I started watching HTGAWM.  And she's the main reason I followed it through to the end.  That...and I have a hard time giving up on a mystery once I'm involved in it.  No matter how torturous the viewing process is.  And, believe me, it was at times truly torturous.

Tat.  The Queen.  'Nuf said.

Nothing against Elizabeth Moss.  She's a fine actress (if far from a favorite of mine.)  If a lead actress had to be named from Mad Men, she'd be the one.  But who's kidding who?  Jon Hamm's the lead on that show, and everyone else is a supporting player.  Peggy almost disappears from the story at times, and she's seldom the main focus.  That said, EM may well win.  She's been nominated a bunch of times.  Mad Men is done (and wants to buy the world a Coke).  Both Moss and Hamm may be in for sort of "career achievement" awards for their stellar work on this iconic show.

Don't subscribe to Netflix, so I'm obviously not a regular viewer of House of Cards.  I've seen some eps.  And Robin Wright's good.  As she usually is in just about everything.  She's been nominated for an Emmy every season that HOC has been around.  So I have no informed reason to believe she isn't worthy of another nomination.  And who knows, with those noms stacking up, the Emmy voters just might think it's time to fork an Emmy over.  Additionally, she does kind of have that "movie star" rationale I mentioned when discussing Viola Davis working for her too.  One problem I potentially have with RW is that, like Elizabeth Moss (and possibly TPH), she's not her show's outright lead.  And unlike, say, Keri Russell and Ruth Wilson who are pretty much 50/50 co-leads with Matthew Rhys and Dominic West respectively, I'm guessing that the split with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright on HOC is something closer to 70/30.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that RW, EM, and TPH shouldn't be nominated because their shows aren't primarily about their characters.  I'm just saying that it shouldn't be ignored in the analysis either.

And what about Keri Russell and Ruth Wilson?  Well, as far as I'm concerned, they were snubbed.  And by "snubbed" I mean they should have been nominated. 

Keri Russell's in the same boat Tat just left.  And it's nearly as hyperbolically criminal what the Academy is doing to her as it was what they were doing to Tat.  More in a way.  The Americans (one of the best shows on TV...snubbed, snubbed, snubbed) is on FX.  We at least know that the Academy is aware of the network.  Glenn Close (Damages on FX) was snagging multiple noms and statuettes for this very award just a few years back.  Tat on BBCA has been toiling away in Bumfuck, Egypt by comparison.

Ruth Wilson as Alison Bailey in The Affair (for which she won this year's Golden Globe) is at such a remove from Luther's unforgettable Alice Morgan that RW proves her acting chops right there.  If anyone comes anywhere close to working as hard as Tat does on OB, Ruth Wilson does so on The Affair.  If you're not familiar with the show, it's essentially told from two disparate points of view -- Alison's and Noah's (Dominic West).  For the 25 to 30 minutes that eps are in Alison's POV, RW is in each and every scene.  When the eps are in Noah's POV, RW appears quite often (Alison and Noah are having an affair after all).  So RW's probably averaging about 40 minutes of screentime per ep.  Something similar to Tat.  (Of course Tat's probably the only actor ever to occasionally log more screentime than the show itself does.  If, for instance, the dinner scene in the season finale lasted 3 minutes, Tat would log 12 minutes of screentime by playing 4 parts in a 3 minute scene: 3 x 4 = 12.)  Additionally, RW really has to play two parts.  She has to play Alison the way Noah sees her.  And she has to play Alison the way she sees herself.  And trust me, the two Alisons are different...sometimes subtly and sometimes drastically so.  Plus there's a more limited objective element to the story in which RW has to play yet another iteration of Alison.  Her performance is remarkable.  More internalized and exuded than openly expressed.  Heartbreaking in many ways.  The show itself is both fascinating and frustrating.  Unfortunately, Alison and Noah (Noah especially) aren't particularly likable.  And while I enjoy the show, I can see how others might find it boring or confusing...or both.

Part of the problem we have here (and it's a good problem to have) is that there's an embarrassment of riches available in this Emmy category.  Consider the following list:

Caitriona Balfe (Outlander)
Eva Green (Penny Dreadful)
Juliana Margulies (The Good Wife)
Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black)
Keri Russell (The Americans)
Ruth Wilson (The Affair)

Substitute this list for the list of actual nominees, and I don't think there would be any appreciable diminishment in the quality of the performances being considered for the Emmy.  (I actually prefer this list...mostly because these are performances and shows that I personally, subjectively like, love, or admire to varying degrees.  That is not to say, however, that this list doesn't stand up to scrupulous objective scrutiny.  It does.  It most certainly does!) 

Caitriona Balfe is a glorious revelation in Outlander.  If you haven't seen her yet, do so ASAP.  She's positively gorgeous and extremely and undeniably talented.  She oftentimes reminds me of Cate Blanchett.  Which is not to say that she has consistently exhibited that kind of consummate talent...yet.  (Only Tat herself, among all the actresses being discussed here, is indisputably in Cate the Great's league.)  But Caitriona Balfe is pretty fucking brilliant...already. 

If the single best bit of acting over the last (Emmy Calendar) year by man, woman, cat, dog, or kid (or scorpion...sorry, Pupok) were to be cited, I don't think it's at all unlikely that Eva Green's turn in the seance scene in Penny Dreadful would be tapped #1 (with a bullet). The only problem I have with EG is that the first season of PD (the season eligible for this round of the Emmys) was only eight eps long.   And there are several eps in which Eva barely appears.  The eps though which squarely center on her character, Vannessa Ives, are nothing short of spellbinding.  Read an article somewhere in which the writer essentially posited that whenever Eva appears in a scene the other actors on the show (and there are some good ones) might just as well take coffee breaks because none (not one) of the potentially seven billion viewers of this show could possibly focus on anyone other than Eva in those scenes.  Eva Green is (at times) that powerfully magnetic in PD. 

Not sure why Juliana Margulies (defending champ) wasn't nominated.  Her show might have taken a bit of a dip...but she didn't.  She did what she always does.  She excelled. 

Tat's the Queen ('nuf said). 

And I just touched on the phenomenal work Keri Russell and Ruth Wilson are doing. 

An embarrassment of riches indeed!

And just to emphasize this claim to the point of near exhaustion, let me add a third list.  While these women might not have absolutely, unequivocally deserved an Emmy nod or nomination, they certainly warranted serious consideration:

Nicole Beharie (Sleepy Hollow)
Lizzie Caplan (Masters of Sex)
Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel)
Diane Kruger (The Bridge
Rose McIver (iZombie)
Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)

I find Nicole Beharie, Caitriona Balfe, and Tat the most exciting actresses on TV...inasmuch as, for me, they're discoveries.  Their work on their current shows is really the first time any of them registered on my radar.  All the other actresses (save Rose McIver) have histories, have resumes about which I was previously aware.  NB, CB, and Tat are, so to (mis)speak, just beginning.  I see (or hope to see) even greater things than they're currently showing us in their futures.  Which is exciting.  Despite its great cast (Tom Mison, Lyndie Greenwood, Orlando Bloom, John Fucking Noble, et al), it's Nicole Beharie who compels me to watch Sleepy Hollow (a relative trifle of a show that's not my typical cup of tea).  She seems such a natural actress to me.  Her work comes off as effortless (although I'm sure it's not).  In her role as Abbie Mills, she's funny, she's adorable, she's haunted, she's badass.  In short, she's sublime (with an edge).  If you've never seen the film American Violet, Nicole Beharie's performance will, I assure you, make doing so well worth your while.

Love Lizzie Caplan.  She was nominated last year.  This time she wasn't.  Didn't see any significant dropoff in her sophomore efforts as Virginia Johnson on Masters of Sex.  If anything, LC upped her game.  There are just so many great performances to contend with though, that Lizzie finds herself on the outside looking in this time around.  That simple.

Slogged my way through the first two seasons of Bates Motel, but couldn't bring myself to continue with it this season.  Certainly wasn't because of Vera Farmiga though.  She's been uniformly great throughout all of the series that I've so far seen.  I may eventually catch up.

Diane Kruger gives an amazing performance in her far too underappreciated (and now cancelled) series The Bridge.  I'll miss the show.  And I'll miss Sonya Cross, the traumatized but dogged detective with Asperger's Syndrome that DK plays.

If you haven't seen iZombie, at least give it a try.  Rose McIver plays a dedicated, no-nonsense doctor (Liv Moore) who is turned into a zombie.  Sort of.  She actually lives in half zombie/half human limbo.  She gets a job as a coroner so she can more easily (and comparatively harmlessly) satisfy her craving for human brains.  What she finds out though is that, after consuming a particular person's brain matter, she temporarily takes on aspects of that person's personality and sporadically accesses (in flashes) that person's memories.  Because many of the brains she's eating belong to victims of crimes, Liv becomes something of a sleuth.  (None of this is overly spoilerish because it's all revealed in the first ep.  It's less a "reveal" in the show than it's the premise of the show.)  What's relevant here is that the premise affords RM a lot of latitude in giving her performance.  Room for a lot of variety.  What results is oftentimes funny, sometimes frightening, and frequently touching.  Was really surprised how much I liked this show.  Rose McIver's the main reason I did. 

I've never seen Sons of Anarchy, but that's primarily because I missed out on the beginning of the series.  Same thing with Justified.  (Gotta start shows, especially serialized ones, at the beginning.)  I hear great things about these series, and I hope to one day catch up on both of them.  Katey Sagal is mentioned as a snub just about every year.  Mostly by the rabid fanbase of the show.  It reminds me of Clone Club in many ways.  So I'm going to take the fanbase's assertion on faith...in a show of solidarity.  From everything I've heard (from fans and critics alike), KS rocks it as Gemma Teller Morrow.

I'll mention Kerry Washington as well, mainly because she's been nominated (arguably deservedly) the last two years.  She's created quite a character in Olivia Pope.  And for that she should be lauded.  But Scandal itself has turned itself into such a hot steaming mess of...well, goo, that it's distressing just to think about it.

Finally, Emmy Rossum.  I know she's moved over to the comedy side of the ledger.  But in doing so she's managed to prove that she can get fucked and fucked and fucked and fucked and fucked again with both comedic and dramatic aplomb.  Now, that's range.  Five seasons worth of the extraordinary and exquisite Fiona Gallagher is a gift from the acting gods so valuable and precious that it shouldn't be so cavalierly dismissed.  Hey, Academy!  Your fucking award is named for this woman!  Couldn't you have acted accordingly...just once at least?  You're fucking shameless!

I hope I've made my point. 

~~~

Bummed that Broad City didn't get a nom.  Abbi or Ilana either.

Same goes for Rectify and Aden Young.  Maybe the best show and the best male performance on TV right now...and nobody seems to know about it.  (What I'm talking about here is that neither Young nor the show seem to be getting any significant mention when snubs are enumerated.)  

I've never seen The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but it seems strange to me that its star, Ellie Kemper, didn't get nominated...but the show did.

Gina Rodriguez?  How come?

Query:  If Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys showed up hand in hand and NAKED (as the War was Cold) on the Red Carpet at the Emmys...would the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences notice?

~~~

Read this on the Entertainment Weekly site:

Do they have two Emmys ready for Sarah Paulson? She earned a nomination for playing conjoined twins on American Horror Story. 

For an OB fan this immediately prompts the urge to start conjuring "six emmy" jokes about Tat.  But, hey, those types of jokes have been plentifully circulating for three years now.  What I loved about this is that Sarah Paulson's the first person I became aware of who referred to Tat as The Queen.  Sarah's a huge OB fan.  She was on that "Kick Ass Women" panel with Tat at ComCon last year.  What with her playing conjoined twins on AHS this year, I can just imagine Sarah picking Tat's brain big time about playing multiple characters before and after that panel.

The truth, it turns out, is indeed stranger than fiction!

http://imgur.com/YaOXRze

~~~

Interesting article (with audio files) about Tat's accent and dialect coach.  He discusses how he and Tat approached and arrived at the clones' voices.  Do you ever see Cosima and think of Jeff Goldblum?  Perhaps you should.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2015/05/how-tatiana-maslany-nails-her-accents-on-orphan-black/

Edited by dampfire
  • Love 1

Orphan Black won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form, beating out Game of Thrones, Dr. Who, The Flash, and Grimm.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

Orphan Black: “By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried”, ” written by Graham Manson, directed by John Fawcett (Temple Street Productions, Space/BBC America)

• Love 2

~~~

Interesting article (with audio files) about Tat's accent and dialect coach.  He discusses how he and Tat approached and arrived at the clones' voices.  Do you ever see Cosima and think of Jeff Goldblum?  Perhaps you should.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2015/05/how-tatiana-maslany-nails-her-accents-on-orphan-black/

I initially missed this footnote to your long, firey post, dampfire, but way to go! (for me, at least) to get me to click on the article by feeding me the Jeff Goldblum hook! Heh. Great article with unique info not found in others. As a small child, my father recorded me doing impressions of TV actors on our old reel-to-reel tape recorder (long gone now), a knack I've been able to parlay into at least correctly pronouncing the names of students from up to 50 different countries who I meet in the library where I am employed. Too bad I can rarely remember the names for more than a nanosecond--another skill Tatiana excels at over most mortals.

I do wish the article had included snippets of Tatiana voicing the different characters discussed.

I will definitely be listening for hints of Goldblum's current apartments.com commercial voice ("Change your apartment; change your worrrrld") when I next hear Cosima. Or was dialect coach Nelles maybe refering to the annoying way Goldblum patronizes the centigenarian in the commercial?

On Friday Tatiana appeared briefly on Jimmy Fallon. While he did his usual gushing about how talented his guest was and seemed to have done his homework, it was not much of an interview. She did look well.

Orphan Black won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form, beating out Game of Thrones, Dr. Who, The Flash, and Grimm.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

Orphan Black: “By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried”, ” written by Graham Manson, directed by John Fawcett (Temple Street Productions, Space/BBC America)

I think that's both cool and slightly dubious, if only because this year's awards were a mess.

Best Novella, Best Short Story, Best Related Work, and Best Editor for Short and for Long Form were all won by nobody.

I think that's both cool and slightly dubious, if only because this year's awards were a mess.

Best Novella, Best Short Story, Best Related Work, and Best Editor for Short and for Long Form were all won by nobody.

I don't think the whole Sad/Rabid puppies mess had much effect on either of the Dramatic Presentation Hugos.  Guardians of the Galaxy was nominated by both the Sad and Rabid Puppies, and won the Hugo in its category since it was such a great movie.  The other short Dramatic Presentation nominees were popular shows, (some of which had been nominated and/or won previously)  and I don't think there was any feeling that these shows were unfairly nominated by the Puppies.  Orphan Black may have won simply because Game of Thrones and Doctor Who had won several times previously.   

I'm just talking about the lack of credibility of the Hugos overall if they have such shadiness this year.

If the Emmys or the Oscars had 5 categories in which "the winner is...no one," everybody would be dragging them to hell for their stupidity.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

I'm just talking about the lack of credibility of the Hugos overall if they have such shadiness this year.

If the Emmys or the Oscars had 5 categories in which "the winner is...no one," everybody would be dragging them to hell for their stupidity.

Wow. I had no idea this was going on. I had read a bit about Gamergate, but thought it was just fringe crap stirring. But it's more like Donald Trump clones in literature: http://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/

I initially missed this footnote to your long, firey post, dampfire, but way to go! (for me, at least) to get me to click on the article by feeding me the Jeff Goldblum hook! Heh. Great article with unique info not found in others. As a small child, my father recorded me doing impressions of TV actors on our old reel-to-reel tape recorder (long gone now), a knack I've been able to parlay into at least correctly pronouncing the names of students from up to 50 different countries who I meet in the library where I am employed. Too bad I can rarely remember the names for more than a nanosecond--another skill Tatiana excels at over most mortals.

I do wish the article had included snippets of Tatiana voicing the different characters discussed.

I will definitely be listening for hints of Goldblum's current apartments.com commercial voice ("Change your apartment; change your worrrrld") when I next hear Cosima. Or was dialect coach Nelles maybe refering to the annoying way Goldblum patronizes the centigenarian in the commercial?

On Friday Tatiana appeared briefly on Jimmy Fallon. While he did his usual gushing about how talented his guest was and seemed to have done his homework, it was not much of an interview. She did look wel

If, shapeshifter, you're a glutton for punishment, I posted something of a companion piece (to the one you responded to here) on the "Emmy" thread.  It too is long and is oftentimes fiery.  It's less about who reasonably could or should have been nominated, and more about who might or should win (in Tat's category).  As the post in question wasn't on the OB Forum, let's just say that my advocacy for Tat was somewhat more expansive than, "Tat's the Queen ('nuf said)."  People on this forum need little more explanation than that.  Assuming that many on the Emmy Thread might be among the uninitiated, I felt the need to clue them into what they are missing.  (August 5th posting.)  

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/27757-the-annual-primetime-emmys-thread/page-2#entry1440229

Agree with you that the audio files would have been much improved with the insertion of clips from Tat on the show.  They are what they are though.  A discussion by the dialect coach.  Interesting enough as are.  And I didn't quite grasp the Goldblum link either.  Waiting for the day though, be it rewatching past eps or watching next season, when the light bulb illuminates and I say to myself, "Oh!  Okay.  Now I get it!"

I've seen quite a few interviews with Tat, and Fallon's was probably the worst.  He seemed to be faking his way through it.  I actually went out of my way to watch the interview on a Friday night!  Disappointed to say the least.

• Love 1

Very nice article.  It never occurred to me she might consider showing up to the Award Show as one of the clones.  Although I might question that idea as unprofessional and a gimmick -- I would get great joy to see her performance in "Helena Receives an Emmy" because that would be fucking AWESOME.  (Just watching her table manners are funny enough.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

Sadly, Tatiana didn't win, but I guess there are worst things then losing to someone like Viola Davis.  I just hope she gets nominated again.

She also briefly appeared in a segment/skit on the telecast, where they were showing what the red carpet looks like during the telecast, where she and Tony Hale were randomly fighting over a can of beans.  Amusing, even though I suspect that in real life, Tatiana could probably handle Tony with ease.  Nothing against Tony, but after Helena, I would be afraid to fight Tatiana.

• Love 1

Sadly, Tatiana didn't win, but I guess there are worst things then losing to someone like Viola Davis.  I just hope she gets nominated again.

That was a big disappointment. She was in the category with some power houses, however, though Viola Davis (and I say this with an abundance of respect because I love her) is a power house, I am really disappointed that Tatiana lost to her. I watch How to Get Away with Murder, and of course Viola puts in a solid performance, the role isn't much of a stretch for her enormous talent. The only one I would have been satisfied with Tat losing to would have been Taraji P Henson. I don't watch Empire, but from everything I've heard from critics and every day people who watch the show, she is amazing in it. 

However, I am very hopeful, with another season of Orphan Black, Tatiana will have another shot at not only a nomination, but at a win next year. 

• Love 3

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but my 2 favorite podcasts ever both had Tatiana Maslany on and they were so much fun. First, she and Kristian Brunn were on Comedy Bang Bang and it was total insanity. Then, she showed up on How Did This Get Made?

If you need fun stuff to listen to check the episodes out. Her CBB ep is #377. That one is an improv comedy podcast hosted my Scott Auckerman and Lauren Lapkus and Paul F. Tompkins were the other guests and they did characters for the whole show.

Her HDTGM ep is the most recent one (#120) and they talk about Masters of the Universe. The whole premise of that podcast is they get together after watching a shitty movie (they try to pick ones that are easy to get/watch) and talk about how ridiculous it is, but it's not mean spirited or anything. It just the group basically marveling at all the movies that get made the literally make no sense.

Anyway, they were super fun.

Edited by hardy har

If you need fun stuff to listen to check the episodes out. Her CBB ep is #377. That one is an improv comedy podcast hosted my Scott Auckerman and Lauren Lapkus and Paul F. Tompkins were the other guests and they did characters for the whole show.

I tried listening to this the other day but had to turn off before they even got to the improv bit. It was so painfully obvious the host didn't watch the show and had no clue about male clones (Castor or Tony) and yet was trying to make out that he loved it. It doesn't help I've probably watched/listened to far too many Orphan Black interviews over the past couple of years that there aren't really any more questions to be asked that I'd be interested in hearing answers to.

FWIW, Auckerman has so many jobs . . . I don't know how he finds time to take a damn nap and that podcast isn't really about doing straight interviews at all. The worst episodes actually tend to be the ones where guests seem to think it is more of a regular interview podcast. The first segment is more about letting the guest/guests (especially if they're first timers) get into the groove. The response from a lot of the CBB listeners had a lot of "Yay, Tatiana Maslany is on!" mixed with "I started watching OB because of the guests and It's awesome!"  and "Ep of the Year!"

Apparently, TM and KB have been fans and they'd been trying to get on for a while.

I would like to point out that, yet again, I saw TM was going to be on something with an OB cast member and I thought "Oh, cool. They don't get to work together that much." I always associate her with Sarah and forget she plays all the other clones.

I watched the Off Camera with Sam Jones interview-- I like that show and try to watch it whenever they have new episodes, and I've never seen him be so obviously gushy as a fan before. It was quite fun to watch him practically squeeing at her. He loves all the same things I love about her, and about the show, so he was a good surrogate for how I imagine I'd be if I interviewed her myself-- the next best thing to being there.

One thing I did not know is that apparently she's done 3 movies since being cast in Orphan Black. I had not heard of any of them, and none of them sound particularly interesting to me from their descriptions in the Netflix catalogue, but I might check them out to see how TM is in another context.

• Love 1
hardy har, on 04 Oct 2015 - 02:30 AM, said:

I would like to point out that, yet again, I saw TM was going to be on something with an OB cast member and I thought "Oh, cool. They don't get to work together that much." I always associate her with Sarah and forget she plays all the other clones.

Haha, I do exactly the same thing

• Love 1

Do we think Dr. Leekie "woke up"? (Maybe it was just a flesh wound.) 'Cause it would be awesome to have Matt Frewer back on the show.

Definitely, but I was thinking body snatchers. Still, maybe they have resurrected him.
Space aired an after-show with Season 3 under the same name, with the same hosts. Sounds like they're gonna be simulcasting it on BBCA this year. (Which I'm all for, mind you.)
  • Love 1