Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Meri Catfished

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

If the catfish affair started in March, then I'm even more puzzled by the two voicemails I dared myself to listen to - both were around March 24/25, and there's Meri chatting with Sam and signing off by saying "I love you" in a pretty comfortable way.  I didn't detect any nervousness or hesitation in her voice.  That seems incredibly fast to profess love to someone you've never met and if the timeline is correct, only started chatting with a couple of weeks prior.  I am certain that she was clinging to "Sam" as a drowning person clings to a lifeboat, but still - it all seems so bizarre.

• Love 2
Then someone suggested writing a book about their lives. As I understand it, each wife and Kody told their story separately and none of the adults knew just what the others had said until they read the book.

Trust me: Their book was ghostwritten. I absolutely buy that each of the adults told her/his own parts to the writer without input or foreknowledge of what the others said; that's why the book tends to be far more candid than the show EVER has.

But the book has a strongly consistent voice between the multiple narratives. Even with a great editor to correct their atrocious spelling and grammar, there is no way Kody has the ability necessary to weave their story together in a strongly coherent way, with a personal yet dispassionate voice. I don't know how much the ghostwriter was paid, but she or he earned every last dime--I can only imagine what sort of long-winded, rambling,egotistical, and near-incomprehensible bullshit had to be waded through and sorted out to create a sense of clear continuity on the page.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 5

I don't agree with you.  I specialized in ethics in college (not that this makes me an expert or anything) but I consider your view a form of values relativism that ends up holding all views as valid for fear of not giving others their rights to their beliefs.  But I think you can give others their right to their beliefs and still not agree with them and voice that disagreement in pretty much any way you want.  I think that's the whole purpose of religious ethics - to NOT believe that all values are valid.  If your religion says murder is OK, should I not discount or put down your belief just because it's your belief even though it's not mine?  No.  Obviously there is a higher set of values here at work over and above anyone's particular religious beliefs.

That said, I personally don't see the Brown's version of polygamy as healthy for the women involved.  Does that mean I think polygamy is wrong?  No, maybe not morally 'wrong", but not normally a healthy form of relationship.  In my opinion.  I don't care if the Browns practice it, let them do what they want.  I don't care if they wouldn't like what I said about it either, too bad.  I'm sure they've put down my religion and my religious beliefs a whole lot in their time.

My take is I don't feel Meri is wrong at all.  They profess to be Christians.  Well, if some Christians were to have a "revelation" that group sex or animal sacrifice or something equally awful were now cool with God, then other Christians would rightly state "no, you're way off base."  Same thing here.  They are not Muslims which do have a 4 wife limit, but profess to be Christians and in Christianity there is no plural marriage.  It's 1:1 and that's it.  So she is not obligated and, frankly, she is FREE because HE is committing adultery.  There are a lot of points of discussion and differences of opinion among Christians about baptism, trans/consubstantiation, etc.  But never about polygamy.  So what I'm hoping is that the scales are falling from Meri's eyes and she leaves, and lives and loves.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 3
My take is I don't feel Meri is wrong at all.  They profess to be Christians.  Well, if some Christians were to have a "revelation" that group sex or animal sacrifice or something equally awful were now cool with God, then other Christians would rightly state "no, you're way off base."  Same thing here.  They are not Muslims which do have a 4 wife limit, but profess to be Christians and in Christianity there is no plural marriage.  It's 1:1 and that's it.  So she is not obligated and, frankly, she is FREE because HE is committing adultery.  There are a lot of points of discussion and differences of opinion among Christians about baptism, trans/consubstantiation, etc.  But never about polygamy.  So what I'm hoping is that the scales are falling from Meri's eyes and she leaves, and lives and loves.

Actually, they profess to be Mormons. Now, I don't want to get into a big theological debate about whether Mormonism can be considered a branch of Christianity or not - but you cannot say that there is no basis for plural marriage, when it was taught by the Mormon church for more than half of the 19th century. The Bible actually has several cases of men having multiple wives, so while I don't think we should encourage polygamy, I don't see it as being so far fetched for a believer or God to believe in it as well. It's definitely not as out of left field as animal sex! 

We can sit here and say that since WE don't believe in plural marriage and WE don't recognize a spiritual marriage only, then Meri did not cheat all day long. But the fact of the matter is that SHE believes in plural marriage and that spiritual marriages are just as important as legal ones - in her eyes, she broke her promises and she did cheat. 

Do I care? Not really. Not because I think Kody cheats also; in their mind he doesn't. But simply because I don't like Kody and I'm just going to be an asshole and say I don't care that he got cheated on.

• Love 10

Aren't 3 wives all Kody needs to have his own planet? Now he's got 4--planet's guaranteed! Of course, if 2 wives leave, he'll have to go find another wife to keep that planet---right? Still, Robyn's not far from 40 and won't have that many childbearing years left, so he might be seeking another wife in a few years anyway.

Would he have to get buy-in from the existing harem? I hope Meri, at least, will be long gone. Christine might feel compelled to agree. Maybe Jenelle, too. But I can't imagine Robyn being OK with a new wife. (As if I know her...)

Does anyone know how one ends a spiritual marriage in the AUB?  Does it require an unsealing or is it a simpler procedure just to end the marriage portion? 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2

Actually, they profess to be Mormons. Now, I don't want to get into a big theological debate about whether Mormonism can be considered a branch of Christianity or not - but you cannot say that there is no basis for plural marriage, when it was taught by the Mormon church for more than half of the 19th century. The Bible actually has several cases of men having multiple wives, so while I don't think we should encourage polygamy, I don't see it as being so far fetched for a believer or God to believe in it as well. It's definitely not as out of left field as animal sex!

We can sit here and say that since WE don't believe in plural marriage and WE don't recognize a spiritual marriage only, then Meri did not cheat all day long. But the fact of the matter is that SHE believes in plural marriage and that spiritual marriages are just as important as legal ones - in her eyes, she broke her promises and she did cheat.

Do I care? Not really. Not because I think Kody cheats also; in their mind he doesn't. But simply because I don't like Kody and I'm just going to be an asshole and say I don't care that he got cheated on.

Well said. *I* don't believe in plural marriage, but just a few weeks before Meri is the one who made a big deal of saying the legal marriage wasn't what mattered, she was still spiritually married and to use her own quote "forever means something a little different to her". Was Kody an ass? Absolutely. Was he likely checked out of the marriage way before? I'm sure he gave Meri many reasons to believe their marriage was essentially over. In not arguing that, and I really don't necessarily blame Meri for cheating, but if we are going to play out technicalities and semantics, for me personally she did cheat, if she believed she was married in every sense of the word as she proclaimed, then yes, it was cheating. Again to be clear I'm not necessarily saying she was right or wrong, that's really not for me to decide. I'm just expressing what my definition of the status of the relationship.

• Love 4

I think they all have personality disorders. Except maybe Janelle. I think they kidnapped her and she is using the show to send us some coded messages or something.

It's called Famewhoringitis. I think it's in the DSM.

• Love 5

My take is I don't feel Meri is wrong at all.  They profess to be Christians.  Well, if some Christians were to have a "revelation" that group sex or animal sacrifice or something equally awful were now cool with God, then other Christians would rightly state "no, you're way off base."  Same thing here.  They are not Muslims which do have a 4 wife limit, but profess to be Christians and in Christianity there is no plural marriage.  It's 1:1 and that's it.  So she is not obligated and, frankly, she is FREE because HE is committing adultery.  There are a lot of points of discussion and differences of opinion among Christians about baptism, trans/consubstantiation, etc.  But never about polygamy.  So what I'm hoping is that the scales are falling from Meri's eyes and she leaves, and lives and loves.  

There are actually a few remote places in the world where non-Mormon Christians can and do have plural marriage.  Nothing in the BIble absolutely in black and white says you can't. The verse in 1 Timothy 3:2 says ELDERS are to be the husband of one wife, and I guess we an interpret that to infer everyone, or that it only infers elders. Plenty of Old Testament patriarchs had multiple wives. We tend to frame things within our own belief systems, but when you look at actual scripture, quite a few grey areas are present.

Even if Meri and Kody are not legally married, they were in a committed relationship. Non-married people in committed relationships can definitely cheat. Meri says she cheated, and I agree with her.

Does anyone know how one ends a spiritual marriage in the AUB?  Does it require an unsealing or is it a simpler procedure just to end the marriage portion? 

This is a great question. From FLDS horror stories, women had little choice in what husband they were assigned to, and the prophets and leaders could apparently punish families by splitting them up and reassigning wives to different husbands. Disgusting emotionally, disgusting physically/medically. The Browns are loose AUB, and it's never been clear when and how they sea/unseal, etc. 

• Love 1

When they had that Sealing Ceremony disguised as an adoption party, they seated auroradaytonunbrianna and surrounded then by Kody and AUB elders while spouting out some mumbojbo. The Unsealing is probably similar. Kody and his male AUB buddies formally forgetting the secret name and disinviting the wife from the planet.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 4

I don't know if this is BS or not but I have heard of something called a 'sealing cancelation' , which I think is a plyg scenario, the first or whoever is getting unziplocked needs to sign off on. Maybe it's like a Mormon version of an annulment except I think it only applies in the afterlife-y sorta way, whereas I believe an annulment applies in this real, still gotta take out the garbage type of way, I'm pretty sure you ca get an annulment AND a divorce, I've seen it in a Catholic family I know,though Im not sure how they even got that being that they were married like 10 years or so and had two kids, but whatever (cousin Vinny pulled some strings).

Though I'm still not sure what the point of it is, like religiously. When it starts getting into the religious stuff about 'oh now this is erased as if it never happened, or this marriage is for real life but not the afterlife etc etc, it kind of makes my head spin, like wait what? I suppose one has to really believe in whatever script is attached to these things or else one doesn't get bothering with it.

Edited by BlackWidow
  • Love 2

When they had that Sealing Ceremony disguised as an adoption party, they seated auroradaytonunbrianna and surrounded then by Kody and AUB elders while spouting out some mumbojbo. The Unsealing is probably similar. Kody and his male AUB buddies formally forgetting the secret name and disinviting the wife from the planet.

I thought sealings were supposed to be done in private/ secret... If that is true I am not at all surprised Kody was ok with airing it and not calling it a sealing, but I'm not sure, I may be making up that they are private.

I thought sealings were supposed to be done in private/ secret... If that is true I am not at all surprised Kody was ok with airing it and not calling it a sealing, but I'm not sure, I may be making up that they are private.

I think Fame Whore and Super Ham Kody would do anything and everything in front of an audience.

• Love 5

Well said. *I* don't believe in plural marriage, but just a few weeks before Meri is the one who made a big deal of saying the legal marriage wasn't what mattered, she was still spiritually married and to use her own quote "forever means something a little different to her". Was Kody an ass? Absolutely. Was he likely checked out of the marriage way before? I'm sure he gave Meri many reasons to believe their marriage was essentially over. In not arguing that, and I really don't necessarily blame Meri for cheating, but if we are going to play out technicalities and semantics, for me personally she did cheat, if she believed she was married in every sense of the word as she proclaimed, then yes, it was cheating. Again to be clear I'm not necessarily saying she was right or wrong, that's really not for me to decide. I'm just expressing what my definition of the status of the relationship.

I don't think Meri believed she was married or otherwise involved with Kody at all at the point she got involved with "Sam".  She was already divorced and the "spiritual marriage" was only a part of the script to keep up appearances on the show.  The catfish has said this and it makes sense to me.  I believe Meri was out in the open about not being spiritually married to Kody so she wasn't even cheating in her own mind anymore.  I don't blame Meri for going along with the script and pretending to the cameras that everything was the same between them because I think she was convinced to do it or even strong-armed into doing it by the family and/or TLC.  It may have been a concession she made.

I just cannot fathom that this man who has been married to her for 20 years would just sit there and not say anything when she says she needs to go away. Is he really that henpecked by Robyn or could he truly be that insensitive?

Wonder if Mariah still wants to be a sister wife after seeing how her mom has ended up?

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 5

There are actually a few remote places in the world where non-Mormon Christians can and do have plural marriage.  Nothing in the BIble absolutely in black and white says you can't. The verse in 1 Timothy 3:2 says ELDERS are to be the husband of one wife, and I guess we an interpret that to infer everyone, or that it only infers elders. Plenty of Old Testament patriarchs had multiple wives. We tend to frame things within our own belief systems, but when you look at actual scripture, quite a few grey areas are present

What I'm trying to figure out is, when people say  "well people in the bible did it" are they saying, well, if people in the bible did it, they did it because it was a religious thing to do, or are they saying it in the sense of 'well in 2015 people had cell phones and cable tv' , like they just happened to be doing it. I don 't know when it started, how it started, why it started etc. Never even heard of this being a thing in western countries till I was past 30. Living in the bay area, heard of a lot of other things, but there's not really marches and stuff like that for plyg Utah-ites out here. Whenever I hear the "well the book doesn't say not to" it makes me think of all the ways I could run with that one. Well, in the DMV code it doesn't say I can't do X. 

Or someday in a dystopian future when we've ruined everything and someone stumbles upon a computer  that still works where someone has some reality show files on it, people will watch it and say, 'well people on TV did it, so it must be a good thing and be ok' and competing religions will be born from various reality shows. "well they did that on plyg little people mafia pit bull rescuers, so it must be the way to go."

"well they didn't say in the book of reality shows that we couldn't do X, so we definitely should.."

Edited by BlackWidow
  • Love 1

I just cannot fathom that this man who has been married to her for 20 years would just sit there and not say anything when she says she needs to go away. Is he really that henpecked by Robyn or could he truly be that insensitive?

If Catfish is to be believed (broken clocks are right twice a day), Kody moved out of Meri's house in May and they haven't had sex since February. Kody also melted down the wedding ring from his marriage to Meri to make a piece of jewelry for a daughter (not Mariah). Kody was done with Meri long before the dinner in Alaska.
  • Love 2

I want to know if Kody mentioned to any of the other wives that he intended to melt down the wedding ring Meri gave him so he could turn it into a piece of jewelry for one of his daughters. And how did whomever he told react?

Because you know he must have mentioned his plans to the mother of the daughter in question. You don't just go melting down wedding bands and creating custom gifts for your kids every day. He HAD to have told at least the one wife who is the mother of the girl what he was planning to do. And she must have signed off on it, or else it wouldn't have happened.

I just cannot imagine Janelle or Christine wanting anything to do with such a depraved plan. I don't think they would okay melting down the ring at all, much less want one of their daughters wearing whatever was created from it.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 5

Wonder if Mariah still wants to be a sister wife after seeing how her mom has ended up?

I would not be a bit surprised to see Mariah blame Meri for the whole thing. Her defense of this lifestyle is so ingrained it would have to be the individual wife's fault, and not "THE FAMILY". Yeah, I'm shouting.  

You have to have a little life experience before you can realize the damage having your marital needs unmet can do.

• Love 5

Kody and his male AUB buddies formally forgetting the secret name and disinviting the wife from the planet.

This made me laugh out loud, because it sounds so ridiculous to me. I know it's true though. Can you imagine if Kody forgot to disinvite Meri from his planet? Then one day, he's on his planet, happy as can be, and Meri shows up, suitcases full of self tanner, demanding to know where her wet bar is.

• Love 11

Yeah, the ring melting was years ago--so presumably it was a gift for Madison, Mykelti or Aspen. And I imagine Janelle or Christine would've had no problem with it if it was pitched as what was "only fair" and "for the good of the family" and Meri expressed in the moment that she was fine with it/wanted to do it. 

Just like the divorce.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 1

I would think the AUB has tinkered with existing guidelines to their satisfaction, but:

Men can be sealed with multiple women, women can only be sealed with one man. No one knows the particular reason why, general theory is polygamy.

re Robyn's kids from her first marriage:

What about the children born in the covenant?

Children born in the covenant are sealed with their parents no matter the outcome of the marriage. No child is barred from a parent who has been excommunicated. If either parent remarries, the children are not sealed with the new spouse unless they choose to do so at the age of 18.

http://www.mormonmentality.org/2013/06/18/faq-temple-cancellationclearance.htm

What's really sad about it is that Meri is so proud of Mariah's being the only kid (so far), that subscribes to having a marriage in polygamy, meanwhile Meri is miserable.

I wonder if that's the story for the cameras, or if that's still the case.

• Love 2

What's really sad about it is that Meri is so proud of Mariah's being the only kid (so far), that subscribes to having a marriage in polygamy, meanwhile Meri is miserable.

With Meri's abortive defection now so baldly on display (a defection that would not have been a factor if polygamy was working for her), supporting Mariah in the pursuit of polygamy would be outrageous mothering. Not that I don't think she'll go there.

• Love 1
Children born in the covenant are sealed with their parents no matter the outcome of the marriage. No child is barred from a parent who has been excommunicated. If either parent remarries, the children are not sealed with the new spouse unless they choose to do so at the age of 18.

So no matter what chicanery Kody gets up to, AuroraDaytonBreanna are not going to be on his planet unless they choose to as adults? Interesting. Well know Aurora Manson will be first in line. 

• Love 3

So.......is there interplantary travel? Am I confining this planet business to how we're pretty much Earthbound at the moment? (Yeah, yeah, I knew men have been in space since 1969, but only a handful, and nobody has visited another planet or lives off of Earth permanently as of today).

Because if a kid born in a covenant and sealed to mom and dad, mom and dad split, mom and dad are unsealed, mom remarries, dad remarries, each are sealed to their new spouses, die, and go to separate planets, where do the kids go? With mom, with dad, joint custody, cloned, split in half, what?

• Love 2

The whole plant thing is just so out there (no pun intended) that there isn't any point in trying to figure out the various scenarios.  Even the people that made it up can't figure it out or there would be some sort of "Guide to the Planets" as part of their rules.  Plus these dorks make things up as they go so it can change by the minute.

• Love 4

So no matter what chicanery Kody gets up to, AuroraDaytonBreanna are not going to be on his planet unless they choose to as adults? Interesting. Well know Aurora Manson will be first in line.

I actually really don't like the thought that Aurora could ever potentially marry Kody, and I really hope it never happens... But I'm going to make my joke regardless... Even more reason for her to marry Kody to ensure she can be on his planet.

What do you make of that "Sam" defending Robyn in the last crazy rant blog entry. (Not Yet Batman)

Makes me wonder why Jackie is so happy to say Robyn is the only sweet one and the one who checks in on Meri.

I took it all as some sick delusional writings but that jumped out at me. Wht defend Robyn and even mention her as being sweet and having no idea why there is Robyn hating out there.

Seems fishy.

• Love 2

I watched the 15 minute preview of tomorrow night's show. It was disgusting. It should have been called the Robyn fake cry preview. That's what we have to look forward to in the first 15 minutes. All Robyn. She makes me physically ill.

I watched the previews as well and one thing really stood out for me. Meri and Kody are done. Her response. .her face when he was bawling about adopting Prestons spawn..zero emotion for Kodys tears. And while she is emotional talking about her catfishing..zero emotion from him. In fact her look screams that she is barely putting up with his bs anymore. Anyone else notice him tapdancing around about the date when Meri started distancing herself?

Also i know i mention it every damn year but seriously. .Tamron sucks at this. She needs to be covering the county fair pie eating contests. She's useless.

Another Tell Nothing but Bullshit episode coming.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 3

What do you make of that "Sam" defending Robyn in the last crazy rant blog entry. (Not Yet Batman)

Makes me wonder why Jackie is so happy to say Robyn is the only sweet one and the one who checks in on Meri.

I took it all as some sick delusional writings but that jumped out at me. Wht defend Robyn and even mention her as being sweet and having no idea why there is Robyn hating out there.

Seems fishy.

Good question.

I think that a JO persona (Lindsey? Sam?) befriended Robyn's friend Kendra (real person, seen in episodes, ran their fan FB account).  Robyn booted Kendra out of her life when she found out.  JO probably kisses Robyn's ass like that because she sees Robyn as the gatekeeper to Meri.

Also i know i mention it every damn year but seriously. .Tamron sucks at this. She needs to be covering the county fair pie eating contests. She's useless.

She probably can't even do that right.  She'd fail to tell us what type of pies were being eaten or even from what County she reported from.  She's as zilch as a presenter.

• Love 1

Good question.

I think that a JO persona (Lindsey? Sam?) befriended Robyn's friend Kendra (real person, seen in episodes, ran their fan FB account).  Robyn booted Kendra out of her life when she found out.  JO probably kisses Robyn's ass like that because she sees Robyn as the gatekeeper to Meri.

How freaking bizarre. It's worse that a soap opera.

Catfish defending Robyn, calling her sweet, etc. underminds Meri by making Meri seem like the nutso one who selfishly left her family, while innocent little Robyn, who just loves everyone, is the victim. Yeah, right.

Catfish defending Robyn, calling her sweet, etc. underminds Meri by making Meri seem like the nutso one who selfishly left her family, while innocent little Robyn, who just loves everyone, is the victim. Yeah, right.

• Love 3

I'm putting this here since it's the catfish thread. I'm pasting it because it's good info about the family and I don't want JO to get a pile of hits, which seems to be feeding here. Mods..please delete and let me know if I shouldn't have posted it and I won't do it again.

From a comment to one of her readers:

For someone Meri claims to be afraid of, JO sure has a lot of personal information. And like someone her said earlier, I believe there is truth in his lies.

Samuel says:
November 30, 2015 at 7:20 am

Yes they get paid a lot and they also can’t afford their houses. Robyn has a medical lien on her house from medical bills. I think Christine also has a medical lien because of medical bills. They help pay for the kids in college and out shopping and spending a lot of money. It does not cover everything. Meri has to put things on credit cards then pay them off when she can. They are all on about $5000 to $7000 a month budget. They all have mortgages that went up $700 a month because their interest rates rose. Which none of them expected. When the show ends they are going to be in trouble. This is why Meri is protecting the show from the real truth.

• Love 6

So this is all of the stuff "Sam" has done in the past week: travelled from Chicago to New York, made a brief stop over in Paris, where he prayed with and comforted his "employees" after the recent terrorist attack, flew to Dubai, where he partied with his military buddies (highlights of the trip include a camel ride and skydiving), flew back to Chicago, tweeted, volunteered at a soup kitchen, then blogged about how he's considering adopting a child (and answered the questions of "fans" on his blog). Jet lag? Not when you're Sam, The Most Interesting Catfish In The World!

Meri must've inhaled copious amounts of self-tanner to fall for this crap. Is there some rule that catfish have to be completely over-the-top?

• Love 12

So this is all of the stuff "Sam" has done in the past week: travelled from Chicago to New York, made a brief stop over in Paris, where he prayed with and comforted his "employees" after the recent terrorist attack, flew to Dubai, where he partied with his military buddies (highlights of the trip include a camel ride and skydiving), flew back to Chicago, tweeted, volunteered at a soup kitchen, then blogged about how he's considering adopting a child (and answered the questions of "fans" on his blog). Jet lag? Not when you're Sam, The Most Interesting Catfish In The World!

Meri must've inhaled copious amounts of self-tanner to fall for this crap. Is there some rule that catfish have to be completely over-the-top?

Sam's definitely a multi tasker...she's also been a Big Brother (LMAO) and not only going to adopt but become a foster parent.

Samuel says:

November 29, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I met Mike when he was 8 years old. I was matched up with him in the Big Brothers program. We stayed in touch even after he moved. I have put him through college and graduate school now.

• Love 4

Well, I do hope that someone is going to save everything in some kind of archive because BatfishsamMan is also saying that he is going to pull everything at the end of the week to move on and move forward or something like that.  But he hasn't mentioned the big book that he is writing to put the whole story out there in awhile.  Changed his mind?

Can I recommend adopting a new puppy, not a human baby...to fill the void that Meri left in his heart...maybe a lifelike stuffed puppy?

• Love 1