Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Did anyone else happen to catch the Facebook Live where Meri was selling her own used clothes out of her closet? And people were snatching them up!! She seems to have a huge fan base, at least on Facebook. The clothes she is selling new are overpriced. The used clothes were just ridiculous.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE buying previously worn already stretched out pit-sweat orange-makeup around the collar polyester fire hazard dizzy-patterned overpriced clothes?

I mean if Donnie Wahlberg of NKOTB was selling a t-shirt he'd worn onstage?  That's different!  But Meri Brown?  Words fail me. 

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4

😂"share with you the details...so you can get ready for the challenges".  Considering 8 of the 24 Bingo squares involve a purchase from Lizzie's, this gives you time to arrange a bank loan or re-mortgage your house to participate.🤑

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I agree.   And while potholders are a necessity if you cook or bake, I have to say that I am really hard on them.  They get stained and have been burned a time or two (mostly by one of my kids when they were learning to cook, lol.)  They don't stay pretty for long in my house.  😞  

I have a friend who loves to crochet while watching TV and makes potholders for everyone's birthday in their favourite colours. I use these pretty ones under hot dishes on a wood table and use my plain old store-bought singed pot holders when maneuvering stuff near flames and goopy stuff.  Of course when she sees a singed pot-holder she thinks you need more! 😉

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9

Omg I'm exhausted from reading all the rules and the whole thing sounds like too much work... Jeeeez she wants you to shop at lizzies, bake, write letters, make butter..... *thud*

Whatever happened to writing your name and phone number on a piece of paper and picking it out of a hat? 🎩 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
13 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So I guess if you have physical limitations where say you cannot cook write a handwritten letter you are out of luck.

Seems like a lot of work for a 2 night stay at Lizzies, no airfare or travel so if you win you'll have the expense of getting yourself there and home again... I think I'll pass.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Seems like a lot of work for a 2 night stay at Lizzies, no airfare or travel so if you win you'll have the expense of getting yourself there and home again... I think I'll pass.

Valued at $250 based on $125/night. Hard pass.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I used to make the potholders for my mom, I probably burned out one a day in my prime using one of these. Maybe I should invest in one of these again and sell them for 15.00 a pair -made with love and probably whilst drinking MFM originals

image.png.0d94a63cf76b8b9aedc95558a09f1e79.png

I had one of these too!!

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I had one of these too!!

Me too!!  I had mine when I was in preschool when I moved  on to 1st grade I also graduated to actual weaving, knitting, and crocheting!  Still do yarn, string, and rope crafts to this day!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Me three!  I'd rather have a multicolor one like this makes, rather than an overpriced Bonnie original.

Right, I think I made one specifically for every holiday it seems.  St Patty's Day, Easter, July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas - using the typical colors associated with each one. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Yep I had one too, but damn if I could get the edges to look decent and they usually unraveled, I was a pot-holder failure.

Once I made enough potholders to pretty much give to the whole town, I moved on to hooked rugs then cross stitch and counted cross stitch - that all went away once I was legal to hit the bars and clubs. Now it will take me longer to just thread the needle than it would for me to make a small item. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

Yep I had one too, but damn if I could get the edges to look decent and they usually unraveled, I was a pot-holder failure.

And those loopy things were all of different "stretchiness" as I recall.

We had a summer "crafts" program for kids in a nearby park when I was growing up.  We all made a zillion of those potholders - it was that or woven key lanyards.  I think every parent in the neighborhood was initially happy to keep the kids busy for free but quickly decided 4 dozen of anything was too much especially with the big Catholic families in the area.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 8/21/2020 at 7:38 AM, ginger90 said:

They are 9”x9”, and you get two:

BBFD2D3C-77DD-4A7E-8615-98C02FCBCE40.jpeg

On 8/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, Joan of Argh said:

I used to crochet years ago but I'm not a yarn expert... Is that type of yarn good with heat?

It reminds me of the plastic type of yarn that melts when it comes in contact with heat.

Bingo.  I just spent this past week organizing my stash of yarn and this yarn looks exactly like 100% acrylic yarn.  If you are making hot pads you need to use cotton yarn.  Acrylic is plastic/synthetic and will not only melt, but allow the heat to pass straight through to your hand if you use it on a hot pan coming out of the oven.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Bingo.  I just spent this past week organizing my stash of yarn and this yarn looks exactly like 100% acrylic yarn.  If you are making hot pads you need to use cotton yarn.  Acrylic is plastic/synthetic and will not only melt, but allow the heat to pass straight through to your hand if you use it on a hot pan coming out of the oven.

Well, you're not supposed to be using these $30 pot holders anyway. They're only for display, like the $15 floursack dishtowel. The buyers will just have them hang until they get dusty and mildewed then they'll end up in a garage sale.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

My former neighbor would make these for our community crafts sale every year.  She did very good work.  She charged $1.00 each.

Oh nice!  I LOVE community craft sales!

I have no doubt that Meri determined how much they were going to charge for these hot pads.  And with Covid, I can understand that they have to do whatever they can to "save the farm".  Still, that's pretty steep considering times are tough for their customers, too.

• Love 8
On 8/21/2020 at 1:14 PM, laurakaye said:

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE buying previously worn already stretched out pit-sweat orange-makeup around the collar polyester fire hazard dizzy-patterned overpriced clothes?

I mean if Donnie Wahlberg of NKOTB was selling a t-shirt he'd worn onstage?  That's different!  But Meri Brown?  Words fail me. 

All of this. 

• Love 7
On 8/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, Kohola3 said:

And those loopy things were all of different "stretchiness" as I recall.

We had a summer "crafts" program for kids in a nearby park when I was growing up.  We all made a zillion of those potholders - it was that or woven key lanyards.  

Yes, the loopy things of different stretchiness were what made ugly potholders.  I learned to use ones of similar stretchiness.  Ones made by my 5-yrs-older sister didn't have this problem; I think the quality dropped during the 1960s. The older ones (pre ~1958) were less stretchy, uniform & thicker.

I'm surprised Meri doesn't have Bonnie slaving away making rag rugs out of unsold LulaNo crap.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
On 8/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I used to make the potholders for my mom, I probably burned out one a day in my prime using one of these. Maybe I should invest in one of these again and sell them for 15.00 a pair -made with love and probably whilst drinking MFM originals

image.png.0d94a63cf76b8b9aedc95558a09f1e79.png

oh, thanks for bringing back happy memories.  I had one of these--it was metal.  I bought one for my daughter in the early 90's, but it had a plastic frame, I think.  Also the yarn seemed to be of a lesser quality when I compared it to some my mother had kept from my prolific pot holder making days.   She sometime sewed 2 together to make them thicker.  I had to sew 3 together to get the same thickness. 

• Love 8

So you LITERALLY cannot make "Bingo" without ordering something from Sarah's Corner/Lizzie's Heritage Inn Ye Olde Gift Shoppe and Potholder Emporium.  Well played, Mere....however, I hope - even with your posse of sycophants - you only get back two Bingo cards.  Nice try.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

So you LITERALLY cannot make "Bingo" without ordering something from Sarah's Corner/Lizzie's Heritage Inn Ye Olde Gift Shoppe and Potholder Emporium.  Well played, Mere....however, I hope - even with your posse of sycophants - you only get back two Bingo cards.  Nice try.

Yes you can... diagonal lower left to upper right.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

Yes you can... diagonal lower left to upper right.

Meri wants proof that the tasks were performed by the person entering.  She should also provide an independent observer to the draw when the eligible bingo cards are drawn.  Chances are, no one will win unless their line(s) include at least one Lizzie purchase.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 10
46 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Meri wants proof that the tasks were performed by the person entering.  She should also provide an independent observer to the draw when the eligible bingo cards are drawn.  Chances are, no one will will unless their line(s) include at least one Lizzie purchase.

I agree.  'No purchase required' rule will be ignored.  Meri's all about the money.  Well, with Christine & Janelle doing 'Cameo' it appears that Kootie only gives to & spends money on Robyn.  Asshat.

• Love 5

Someone asked Meri why the contest didn't include Canada and Meri said the shipping to Canada  for a blogger isn't possible... But the blogger FraudedByTLC is running the same type contest this week and hers includes Canadian followers.

Why would Meri say that?.. I guess they've lied for so long on their show that now they lie about everything.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Someone asked Meri why the contest didn't include Canada and Meri said the shipping to Canada  for a blogger isn't possible... But the blogger FraudedByTLC is running the same type contest this week and hers includes Canadian followers.

Why would Meri say that?.. I guess they've lied for so long on their show that now they lie about everything.

She just doesn't want to. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

I’m thinking Meri is in for a problem. Why do the rules read this way:

4D033208-1C27-4B95-A36A-618FCBE89AF8.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Has she lost her mind?  Does she honestly think people are going to CHURN BUTTER?  Sure Meri, I’ve been working all day but let me pull out my churn (because we all have one in the year 2020) and work a couple more hours on the off chance I might win your stupid contest. For a 2 night stay in a place I have no desire to go. Let me get right on that 🙄

• LOL 13

We did this in elementary school when we were reading the Little House books. Sat in a circle and everyone took turns shaking a mayo jar with whipping cream. Whoop.

Btw "homemade" butter doesn't taste any different from store bought butter, imo. 

The real challenge is going to be the games like hoop and stick or pick up sticks because those are items not normally found around the typical home these days.

2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Squint eyes and bare teeth whilst pretending to make butter.  Mkay.

She's quite annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I used to do this with my Kindergarten students, but everyone had their own baby food jar.  It's faster if the cream is more toward room temperature instead of right out of the refrigerator.  It doesn't take too long to get butter.  The kids loved it.  We ate it on crackers for snack time.  Hardly worth a contest entry, however.

• Love 7

If she wants to REALLY do 1870, she would have tasks like:

• Move the outhouse to a different part of the potato field farther away from the house, then make sure there's plenty of big dry leaves and newspapers to use instead of TP. 
  • Take all the rugs off the floors, hang them on a clothes line and beat the dust out of them for hours.
  • Live completely off the grid for a day.
  • Clean the house without the benefit of vacuuming, cleaners other than water, vinegar, and baking soda.
  • do the dishes without soap.  I think they used sand to clean dishes.
  • Read a book in the 10 minutes left of the day after you finish all your chores.
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

She just doesn't want to. 

Ya I figured that but why not say something like with the complications of covid etc blah blah they wouldn't be able to include Canada instead of lying and saying it's impossible lol..

And now it looks like it's worldwide.. I guess Meri doesn't know that Canada is part of the world.

I know it's ridiculous but that's Meri...  She's such a weirdo. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Kbo said:

I had no idea you could make butter in a jar. Still not doing it. 

You can make your own mayonnaise, too - but it's tricky as hell, so why do it?  

Kerrygold butter.  In a store near you.

• Love 11

My grandparents had a small hobby farm when I was a child, they had chickens, couple pigs, rabbits and a 2 cows... My grandma made her own butter and it was amazing made from the fresh milk, cream.

Making butter from whipping cream from the supermarket doesn't taste anything like fresh butter from your own cows.

Their cows were very well cared for,  fed, groomed and it makes a huge difference in the creaminess of the cream and butter.... Some people find it takes a while to get used to the taste because it's quite different than store bought butter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Kbo said:

Has she lost her mind?  Does she honestly think people are going to CHURN BUTTER?  Sure Meri, I’ve been working all day but let me pull out my churn (because we all have one in the year 2020) and work a couple more hours on the off chance I might win your stupid contest. For a 2 night stay in a place I have no desire to go. Let me get right on that 🙄

THIS. Maybe her sycophants or die-hard B&Bs would want to win this thing, but that's about it. I've been to Parowan and there is nothing to do there. The national parks aren't actually close by and it's not the kind of place most skiers would want to stay unless they had to (no hot tub, no bar, no restaurant). 

It's a boring B&B in a boring town. 

• Love 10

It's just a ploy to sell over-priced knickknacks.  It doesn't cost her a cent to allow someone to spend the night there for free - when most likely it's someone who wouldn't have driven there to stay in the B&B anyway.   Meri needed to squeeze some more money out of her fan club and came up with Ca-ching-o Bingo.  The game where people have to buy stuff they don't want or need to win something they also don't want or need. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

It doesn’t seem like many people are participating. 🤷🏼‍♀️

One is a contestant (a LuLaNo rep), 4 are Meri’s posts, and one has nothing  to do with it. 🤣

EC27CD9D-0486-4543-9C1F-B3EF045A265C.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • LOL 7

Probably Blair Michael will win. 

Or someone who lives in Europe and then has to try and convince her significant other that they should spend hundreds of Euros to schlep over to Parowan, Utah in order to use the $250 valued prize. 🧐

• LOL 11
  • Love 2