Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

@Tea4Two, wishing you all the best. Been there done that in 2013. I was very early too, having a mother that passed from breast cancer, I was very vigilant with my mammograms. With that family history I opted for a pretty radical  solution. I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. Because it was early and all was removed, I didn't need radiation or chemo. Have not regretted my choice once!

• Love 9

Today’s rents in NYC are insane. $2000 for Bronx?! 

I watch Cash Jordan (realtor) on YouTube. Apartment prices make me want to faint. There was a walk up apartment with 2 windows that faced a wall for $1800. 

I can’t move anywhere. I hate my apartment but since I grew up in it it’s “cheap”. Sigh.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Today’s rents in NYC are insane. $2000 for Bronx?! 

I watch Cash Jordan (realtor) on YouTube. Apartment prices make me want to faint. There was a walk up apartment with 2 windows that faced a wall for $1800. 

I can’t move anywhere. I hate my apartment but since I grew up in it it’s “cheap”. Sigh.

Sorry to hear that.  She pays over $2,000 - I think it's more like $2,200 by now and it keeps going up every time her 3 year lease is up.  Even if you earn a middle class income at NY salary levels it's still insane.  My nephew and his girlfriend are still rooming with 2 of his friends also in the Bronx-not-Riverdale and they're in their mid 30s by now.  Ridiculous.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m not picking on Bronx. It’s just it WAS an affordable Borough once upon a time. Not anymore. 

We could have lived in the Bronx  for $600 for a BIG 2 bedroom when I was a kid... 

My husband and I were talking about this yesterday, LOL.  A year after we got married, which was about 40 years ago we rented the apartment under my parents.  Same apartment, 1100 square feet 1.5 baths, terrace, 2 bedrooms.  We shared it with my best friend and her then boyfriend and the rent was $425.  Even all 4 of us had a hard time making that rent!  When she broke up with him we all had to move out because the 3 of us couldn't afford it.  Hubbie and I ended up in the East Bronx out by Pelham for $275 in 1982, and that was for a very large 1 bedroom on the corner on the 5th floor, too!  And even that was a stretch and my husband took a side job in order to afford it!

Edited by Yeah No
On 5/24/2021 at 12:27 PM, Yeah No said:

My husband and I were talking about this yesterday, LOL.  A year after we got married, which was about 40 years ago we rented the apartment under my parents.  Same apartment, 1100 square feet 1.5 baths, terrace, 2 bedrooms.  We shared it with my best friend and her then boyfriend and the rent was $425.  Even all 4 of us had a hard time making that rent!  When she broke up with him we all had to move out because the 3 of us couldn't afford it.  Hubbie and I ended up in the East Bronx out by Pelham for $275 in 1982, and that was for a very large 1 bedroom on the corner on the 5th floor, too!  And even that was a stretch and my husband took a side job in order to afford it!

Correction:  My husband reminded me that the rent in that apartment in the Bronx 40 years ago was $495 a month, not $425.  Yikes!  It's no wonder we couldn't afford it!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Wish that was the rent now 🤣🤣🤣

How much was the minimum wage back then? 

@Yeah No

$3.10.  My Social Security statement says my taxable earnings were close to $12,000 that year.  For a 35 hour week (which were my hours) that would mean an hourly wage of $6.59.  I worked in higher ed. which pays crap. My husband made about $13,500 that year.  He was working at Steinway Hall in Manhattan renting Steinways, LOL.  Big glamorous job but it also paid crap.  

BTW, I also had a student loan.  I'll never forget the amount - $81.28 a month.  Sounds low now but back then it was a LOT, especially when you're grossing less than $250 a week!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Is it just me, or does it seem to others like the violence/mass shootings are more frequent than ever now? It makes me not want to go out in public anymore. The random-sounding one in Miami last night was the second one there this weekend. I'm going to have to take the NYC subway next week for a doc. appt that is too far from me for a taxi. (I mean I could take a cab but it would likely cost $75. Way too much.) My lovely serviceable Camry that was 30 years old had to be junked two weeks ago. It blew a gasket and turned out the engine was completely rusted out. Mechanic said if it were his car, he would not drive it anymore. I asked him, if I wanted to fix the engine anyway, what would it cost. $1500. You know it's time to stop driving when mechanic is willing to lose out on whatever he would get for the labor. 

I would have tried selling the good parts (radiator, alternator etc) before junking it, there are several Toyota forums that would have liked them, but there wasn't time. It broke down 50 miles from where I live and I had enough to contend with so I just took the easiest route and had it carted off. (I had to go home and back to get the title first - the junkyard would not take it without the title.) I miss it already - but not the parking madness. Tomorrow I take the plates to the DMV. Last couple weeks I had too much going on.

The good news is that I may only have to get one dose of radiation, during the surgery, instead of daily post-op radiation for up to 5 weeks. I am super relieved that that may be possible. Depends on a couple more tests but looks good. The whole care team is extraordinary. I feel I could not be in better hands, figuratively and also literally. Everyone should have access to this level of care. It's a shonda that most don't. I'm lucky - while still not employed full-time, I have the insurance I had when I had a corporate job. I'm paying for all of it now rather than half but it's so worth it. When I think of people with far worse health situations than mine, who did not have access to the same kind of care (such as my friend who recently died) it just makes me sick.

Edited by Teafortwo
typ-os
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

My lovely serviceable Camry that was 30 years old had to be junked two weeks ago. It blew a gasket and turned out the engine was completely rusted out. Mechanic said if it were his car, he would not drive it anymore. I asked him, if I wanted to fix the engine anyway, what would it cost. $1500. You know it's time to stop driving when mechanic is willing to lose out on whatever he would get for the labor. 

I would have tried selling the good parts (radiator, alternator etc) before junking it, there are several Toyota forums that would have liked them, but there wasn't time. It broke down 50 miles from where I live and I had enough to contend with so I just took the easiest route and had it carted off. (I had to go home and back to get the title first - the junkyard would not take it without the title.) I miss it already - but not the parking madness. Tomorrow I take the plates to the DMV. Last couple weeks I had too much going on.

Tea, if your story isn't a perfect advertisement for the Camry, I don't know what is!  Did you own it all 30 years?  If so I probably still lived in NYC when you got it, LOL.  I am a "car person".  For me that would be like a death in the family.  Even more amazing is that it was that old and survived on NYC streets.  I told hubbie your story because as a car guy he appreciated it.  He said it was definitely time to give it the RIP.  I don't blame you about not missing the parking situation, though.

Is it just me, or does it seem to others like the violence/mass shootings are more frequent than ever now? It makes me not want to go out in public anymore. The random-sounding one in Miami last night was the second one there this weekend. I'm going to have to take the NYC subway next week for a doc. appt that is too far from me for a taxi. (I mean I could take a cab but it would likely cost $75. Way too much.)

Not having to insure a car in NYC will save you some $$ that maybe you could use toward cab fare?  I'm not sure taking a cab is so great anyway given some of the hair raising rides I've had in them.  Even as recently as 10 years ago when I was staying with my Dad after his heart surgery I took cabs because it was more convenient than taking the car and wow, how the memories of what cab rides are like in NY came back to me!  How about Uber?  I've taken Uber a few times when away on vacation and it's always been pretty decent.  Not sure how it is in NYC.

About the mass shootings - I hear about them, but I haven't been paying such close attention to the news of late.  It got so toxic toward the end of last year that I had to take a break for my mental and physical well being.  I also admit that I don't tend to worry too much about mass shootings happening near me and these days I don't venture that far from home anymore.  OK we had ONE well known mass shooting in CT nearly a decade ago, and another disgruntled employee shooting also years ago so I suppose it's possible, but not that probable.  When I hear some of the places these shootings happen they're usually not too close to me.  I don't remember any mass shootings happening in NYC in recent memory unless I totally spaced out on something (which is possible these days, lol).  So I'm electing not to worry too much about them.

The good news is that I may only have to get one dose of radiation, during the surgery, instead of daily post-op radiation for up to 5 weeks. I am super relieved that that may be possible. Depends on a couple more tests but looks good. The whole care team is extraordinary. I feel I could not be in better hands, figuratively and also literally. Everyone should have access to this level of care. It's a shonda that most don't. I'm lucky - while still not employed full-time, I have the insurance I had when I had a corporate job. I'm paying for all of it now rather than half but it's so worth it. When I think of people with far worse health situations than mine, who did not have access to the same kind of care (such as my friend who recently died) it just makes me sick.

Tea, this is very good news, thanks for sharing it!  I needed to hear some good news.  I'll keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you!  One thing I miss about NYC is being so close to some of the best medical care in the world.  My brother in law lives in Middletown, NY and has traveled down to NYC for his chemo. (he has pancreatic cancer that they caught very early so they are very optimistic about his survival).  If I needed to, I wouldn't hesitate to go to NYC myself if necessary even though it's a bigger trip for me.  We have to count our blessings these days! 

"Shonda" - OMG I haven't heard that word in years!

Speaking of NYC, I have a funny story to share about it.  The other day I was poking around my family tree at some of the records attached to my great grandmother.  She and my great grandfather lived in Brooklyn just over the Williamsburg bridge very close to Peter Luger's Steak House, which was actually there when they lived there in the late 19th and early 20th century and I'm SURE they went there.  It turns out that one of the records had their address on it, which was on South 4th Street not far from Havemeyer.  I brought it up on Google Maps and looked at it for a while.  It looks like the building is still there!  A few days later I was watching an Old Navy Ad on TV and had to freeze the frame because I instantly recognized New York in the scene.  I could hardly believe it when the street sign above the group of young dancers indicated that they were at the intersection of South 4th and Havemeyer!   I looked at my husband and said, "My great grandparents lived like a block from there", LOL.  What are the odds?  You can't make this stuff up!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Did you own it all 30 years?  If so I probably still lived in NYC when you got it, LOL.  I am a "car person".  For me that would be like a death in the family.  Even more amazing is that it was that old and survived on NYC streets.  I told hubbie your story because as a car guy he appreciated it.  He said it was definitely time to give it the RIP. 

It was very, very hard to give up. I did actually tear up as it was being driven away on the back of the tow truck. I sat in it for a few minutes beforehand and thought about all the adventures I had in that car. I saluted it as it disappeared around a corner and I saw it from the side for the last time. It had a good run. At only 149K miles, I thought it would be worth saving, but the rust from so many snowy and rainy days on the street was too much. My mother owned the car until 2007 when she sold it to me for $1 as she thought she shouldn't drive anymore. That was a relief because she was a terrible driver. Before my mom owned it, it belonged to friends of hers who bought it for their kids. It had stickers from various colleges they went to. I wish I had taken one last picture of it before it was towed away. I do have pictures of it in Santa Monica and Las Vegas (a friend and I drove it out there in 2009). It was never in an accident, and it only broke down twice - the day I junked it and two weeks earlier, when it seemed the problem was just the radiator. As for the insurance, it was only about $330 every 6 months. I'll keep the policy at a reduced rate to avoid paying extra for insurance whenever I might rent a car. 

It survived the streets in part because I was very selective about where I parked it. There are some very narrow streets in my neighborhood that I always avoided for fear of its getting side-swiped. I also avoided parking near the corners of streets whenever possible, to avoid problems from large trucks turning the corners. It was broken into twice, both times in the past 3 or so years. Whoever broke in did no damage, and thankfully only took the quarters I kept for parking meters and some extra batteries I had on hand for my CD player. They didn't even take my EZ Pass (which I kept in the glove compartment to avoid someone breaking into the car to steal it). After the first time I kept the registration at home in between excursions. I also loved the fact that it was so sturdy, unlike newer cars, that I didn't have to worry about airbags, and that if something went wrong there was no mystery involved. 

• Love 5

Hi,

I just wanted to thank all my fellow snarkers on the board.  I’ve been dealing with a potentially terminal illness and I guess I’m just sort of scare.  This board (various forums) gives me a lot of laughs, which is one of the best medicines.  I know I can be snarky, preposterous, or even outrageous, but I try not to be mean-spirited, although I sometimes fail (usually a TLC reality personality is involved).  Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for giving me so many laughs even guffaws at time.  I don’t necessarily agree with everyone all the time, but I always try and remember everybody gets an opinion and it would probably be boring if I just agreed with everybody all the time anyway.  I appreciate that you read my posts despite their often mangled grammar.

Anyway, I hope this was the right place to put this.  I don’t have much family where I am now, so I do greatly appreciate the laughs you have given me both through the pandemic and my illness.

I post mainly on 3 boards (Sister Wives, MBFFL, and Little People Big World) so I wasn’t sure which OT to post in, but figured Kody and the Gang were probably most associated with a vaguely familiar person popping in to make a random declaration, while somewhat confusing the room, and then wandering off to get takeout. Also, not to brag, but I too make poorly-designed craft jewelry projects. Although I do not shill them, I am willing to commit to a rarely-updated website if TLC is so inclined.  Lastly, there’s an off chance I might need a discount code on a Penske/U-haul truck or poorly drawn on eyebrows someday, so I figured I might as well start here 😉 

Seriously though, thank you for lifting my spirits with your wonderful humor ☺️

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I just wanted to thank all my fellow snarkers on the board.  I’ve been dealing with a potentially terminal illness and I guess I’m just sort of scare.  This board (various forums) gives me a lot of laughs, which is one of the best medicines.  I know I can be snarky, preposterous, or even outrageous, but I try not to be mean-spirited, although I sometimes fail (usually a TLC reality personality is involved).  Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for giving me so many laughs even guffaws at time.  I don’t necessarily agree with everyone all the time, but I always try and remember everybody gets an opinion and it would probably be boring if I just agreed with everybody all the time anyway.  I appreciate that you read my posts despite their often mangled grammar.

I'm very, very sorry to hear you're facing a potentially life-threatening illness. This board has been very supportive to me of late with my (thankfully) early-stage tumor. It's given me a lot of laughs too. Laughter is so important. I wish you all the best and please come back and update us when you can. I will keep you in my thoughts.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Hi,

Anyway, I hope this was the right place to put this.  I don’t have much family where I am now, so I do greatly appreciate the laughs you have given me both through the pandemic and my illness.

I post mainly on 3 boards (Sister Wives, MBFFL, and Little People Big World) so I wasn’t sure which OT to post in, but figured Kody and the Gang were probably most associated with a vaguely familiar person popping in to make a random declaration, while somewhat confusing the room, and then wandering off to get takeout. Also, not to brag, but I too make poorly-designed craft jewelry projects. Although I do not shill them, I am willing to commit to a rarely-updated website if TLC is so inclined.  Lastly, there’s an off chance I might need a discount code on a Penske/U-haul truck or poorly drawn on eyebrows someday, so I figured I might as well start here 😉 

Hey IP, big fan, big fan! (I’m pretty new over here but I’m familiar with your work from the Big Fat boards.) I’m so sorry to hear about your illness and will keep you in my thoughts.  

• Love 9

Thank you all very much for your kind words.  I have been dealing with everything for months, and sometimes I guess I just get overwhelmed.  It’s hard to explain, but sometimes, when you’re kind of down, it takes something ridiculous like imagining if Kody’s curlers are tax write offs to get you through the day.  

Im not trying to be a downer and hope my treatments really work, I guess I’m a little embarrassed I just blurted all that out, this pandemic has just made it harder to get the support I normally do.  Anyway pardon any awkwardness or uncomfortableness I might have caused, that was not my intention, but thank you greatly for your kind words and now I wish to return you to your regularly scheduled program. Guess it could have been worse, I could have invited you all to Meri’s and asked Kody to make a presentation on my behalf 

image.jpeg.c94898984c0e160fa596ca8da2306b1a.jpeg

**sorry my humor gets more and more corny the more nervous I get.  Thanks again for brightening my day, now I’m off to see what sort of nonsense might have occurred in an Amy Roloff LPBW cooking video 😂 😊

• LOL 2
  • Love 21
19 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Is it just me, or does it seem to others like the violence/mass shootings are more frequent than ever now? It makes me not want to go out in public anymore. The random-sounding one in Miami last night was the second one there this weekend.

People are angry for whatever reason and willing to take it out on others. I used to work in law enforcement and EMS and I never understood it. No matter how angry I’ve ever been at life in general, I never wanted to take it out on innocent people. Taking my own life came up before harming another human being. It’s so sad and makes me also want to avoid other humans. 

Stabbings are up in countries that don’t have guns. It seems to be a world-wide fury. I don’t know where humanity is headed, but we seem to be devolving versus evolving to a higher state. 

2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Thank you all very much for your kind words.  I have been dealing with everything for months, and sometimes I guess I just get overwhelmed.  It’s hard to explain, but sometimes, when you’re kind of down, it takes something ridiculous like imagining if Kody’s curlers are tax write offs to get you through the day. ... 

Warmest vibes to you, Irate Panda.  Wishing you the best.  😘

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

It’s hard to explain, but sometimes, when you’re kind of down, it takes something ridiculous like imagining if Kody’s curlers are tax write offs to get you through the day.  

**sorry my humor gets more and more corny the more nervous I get.  Thanks again for brightening my day, now I’m off to see what sort of nonsense might have occurred in an Amy Roloff LPBW cooking video 😂 😊

Best wishes for your treatments, IP, I love your sense humour.  I wonder how the IRS would handle RamenNoodler™ deductions when they aren't used regularly - does Janelle have to calculate the proportion of the time they are used or the space the hair curlers & accessories take up on his vanity in Robyn's house?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Thank you all very much for your kind words.  I have been dealing with everything for months, and sometimes I guess I just get overwhelmed.  It’s hard to explain, but sometimes, when you’re kind of down, it takes something ridiculous like imagining if Kody’s curlers are tax write offs to get you through the day.  

Im not trying to be a downer and hope my treatments really work, I guess I’m a little embarrassed I just blurted all that out, this pandemic has just made it harder to get the support I normally do.  Anyway pardon any awkwardness or uncomfortableness I might have caused, that was not my intention, but thank you greatly for your kind words and now I wish to return you to your regularly scheduled program. Guess it could have been worse, I could have invited you all to Meri’s and asked Kody to make a presentation on my behalf 

Hugs and good vibes to you @Irate Panda.

• Love 6
On 5/31/2021 at 10:41 PM, Irate Panda said:

(((Hugs))), prayers 🙏and best wishes, Irate.  You came to the right place here.  If not for the kind people on this board when my father passed last year of Covid I would have been in a much darker place.  Don't hesitate to post and keep us updated on your progress.  

• Love 11
On 5/31/2021 at 10:34 PM, Teafortwo said:

It was very, very hard to give up. I did actually tear up as it was being driven away on the back of the tow truck. I sat in it for a few minutes beforehand and thought about all the adventures I had in that car. I saluted it as it disappeared around a corner and I saw it from the side for the last time. It had a good run. At only 149K miles, I thought it would be worth saving, but the rust from so many snowy and rainy days on the street was too much. My mother owned the car until 2007 when she sold it to me for $1 as she thought she shouldn't drive anymore. That was a relief because she was a terrible driver. Before my mom owned it, it belonged to friends of hers who bought it for their kids. It had stickers from various colleges they went to. I wish I had taken one last picture of it before it was towed away. I do have pictures of it in Santa Monica and Las Vegas (a friend and I drove it out there in 2009). It was never in an accident, and it only broke down twice - the day I junked it and two weeks earlier, when it seemed the problem was just the radiator. As for the insurance, it was only about $330 every 6 months. I'll keep the policy at a reduced rate to avoid paying extra for insurance whenever I might rent a car. 

It survived the streets in part because I was very selective about where I parked it. There are some very narrow streets in my neighborhood that I always avoided for fear of its getting side-swiped. I also avoided parking near the corners of streets whenever possible, to avoid problems from large trucks turning the corners. It was broken into twice, both times in the past 3 or so years. Whoever broke in did no damage, and thankfully only took the quarters I kept for parking meters and some extra batteries I had on hand for my CD player. They didn't even take my EZ Pass (which I kept in the glove compartment to avoid someone breaking into the car to steal it). After the first time I kept the registration at home in between excursions. I also loved the fact that it was so sturdy, unlike newer cars, that I didn't have to worry about airbags, and that if something went wrong there was no mystery involved. 

What a legacy that car had.  The newer cars are so complicated you'd need a degree in engineering to figure them out.  My husband wishes he could fix his own car like the old days but that's not so easy with the newer cars.  30 years ago I had a Mazda 323 hatchback.  I specifically wanted it with NO options whatsoever except automatic transmission and air conditioning (haha, I had my priorities straight).  Not even a radio. I couldn't afford too many options but I didn't want the radio for a specific reason.  Back then as you might remember it was not uncommon to have thieves break into your car to steal the radio.  Friends would get those removable "Benzi Boxes" for their radios but their cars would get broken into anyway because the thieves would see the mounts for it and were wise to the fact that most people would just put the radio in the trunk.  My car obviously had no radio so it never got broken into.  I did have my purse snatched once out from under my nose while I was loading groceries into a shopping cart to bring upstairs, though.  And I lived right across the street from a police precinct, too!  Oh, the joys of living in NYC, especially back then.  Incidentally I left NYC at the very end of 1991.

My little Mazda was a workhorse.  When I got a new car in 1992 my husband used it for a long commute and racked up 150,000 miles on it in only a couple of years.  I was crushed when it was broadsided sitting in a parking lot by shoplifters fleeing a Shoetown (remember that store?) next to a Dress Barn in Norwalk.  It was pronounced totaled due to a bent chassis.  I still miss that car because it was my first new car and I loved it.  

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

@Irate Panda Thinking of you and hoping you get some good news soon. 💕

You are in my thoughts and prayers...been there done that and survived as you will!! 💜

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 9
(edited)

This weekend is going to be rough.  Saturday hits 106, Sunday is 111 and Monday is 108 degrees.  I don't have air condition here in Portland.  Most of the older houses don't. This will be a record breaking weekend :(

I am just hoping that I don't lose power.  

7057AF6C-6348-4687-B7FD-CA895E3D8801.thumb.jpeg.da0405d60e139dc8e3f6df45132f4018.jpeg

7057AF6C-6348-4687-B7FD-CA895E3D8801.jpeg

Edited by PDXlulu

111 degrees?!?? 😮

I was miserable last week when it was in the 90's in Michigan with high humidity.  Then it rained and dropped to like 45 overnight.  This state gives me whiplash.  I feel like summers when I was a kid were more normal, but maybe I'm just nostalgic for a nice sunny 75 degree day once in awhile. :)

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

This state gives me whiplash.

Yeah, I watched the temp drop 20 degrees on Monday in 2 hours.  I know every state says "wait 5 minutes and the weather will change" but I swear MI is the worst.  There was frost inland that night on the first day of summer!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, PDXlulu said:

This weekend is going to be rough.  Saturday hits 106, Sunday is 111 and Monday is 108 degrees.  I don't have air condition here in Portland.  Most of the older houses don't. This will be a record breaking weekend :(

I am just hoping that I don't lose power.  

7057AF6C-6348-4687-B7FD-CA895E3D8801.thumb.jpeg.da0405d60e139dc8e3f6df45132f4018.jpeg

7057AF6C-6348-4687-B7FD-CA895E3D8801.jpeg

Oh that’s awful when you’re not expecting it and not used to it. I’ve lived in the 120s (and had to work outside in it), but when you have no reprieve it’s dangerous. 

Have a fan and a spray bottle with water handy. It works, keeping the body’s evaporative process going without much effort. Shade your windows from the sun, that actually helps too. Hopefully you don’t lose power! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Wow, that kind of heat is crazy in the NW! @TurtlePower’s tip is great, and I’ll add my own. Put water (and ice if you can) in a big basin or bowl, place a fan so that the air flows across the water, and put your feet in it. Oh, and close your windows and curtains, anything to make it as dark as possible. Lots of cold drinks too, it’s important to stay hydrated. 

• Love 10
50 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Hi Everyone, I thought I'd give an update on my medical stuff since everyone has been so kind. I had the surgery and radiation last week. I learned yesterday that the pathology report came back and the lymph nodes are clear. Such a relief. I'm happy to say I'm recovering well. It hasn't been entirely easy but not too bad. I joked with my friend that now I can go back to my regular schedule of worrying. 

@Irate Panda I've been thinking of you and hope things go as smoothly as possible. Sending you healing vibes. 

Thanks everyone for your kind words and wishes!

PS Kody is still a Kodouche.

I’m so HAPPY for you!!!! I am starting a new treatment and hope this one will work, as always, thank you for your kind thoughts.

• Love 19

108 degrees yesterday, already up to 109 today with a forecast of 114.  And this old Portland house is 87 degrees inside.  My fans are working nonstop.

I know I can't get central air now--they are booking for September, but I will get it this fall.  I hope this weather isn't our new normal.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, PDXlulu said:

I know I can't get central air now--they are booking for September, but I will get it this fall.  I hope this weather isn't our new normal.

You might be able to get a room air conditioner so if you can stay mainly in one room, you could be a bit more comfortable.  They make portable ones that are really easy to set up.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, PDXlulu said:

108 degrees yesterday, already up to 109 today with a forecast of 114.  And this old Portland house is 87 degrees inside.  My fans are working nonstop.

I hope so, too.  The Weather Channel says it's 107 here.  110 was the forecast, and I'm sure it will get there, if not higher.

Too hot, too soon.  I don't even want to think about July and August.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Cetacean said:

In case anyone is interested, this mess is up for Worst Reality Show in the PTV contest.  Voting ends on the 29th.  Click here to see the options.

I had to choose MBFFL. That show is the fakest of the fake with the storylines. Thanks for the link I woulda forgotten otherwise! 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I had to choose MBFFL. That show is the fakest of the fake with the storylines. Thanks for the link I woulda forgotten otherwise! 

I had to vote for Mama June.  That disgusting wretch exploited her child and exposed her to a sexual predator.  Once I cast my ballot, I tried to view the standings, but couldn't.  I guess the final outcomes will be posted a day or so after the polling is done.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I had to vote for Mama June.  That disgusting wretch exploited her child and exposed her to a sexual predator.  Once I cast my ballot, I tried to view the standings, but couldn't.  I guess the final outcomes will be posted a day or so after the polling is done.

Same.  
I can’t believe My 600 lb Life is a candidate for the worst!  I love me some Dr Now. 

• Love 4

I feel like SE NM has traded weather patterns with the Pacific Northwest. We’ve had 2 straight days of rain, working on 3 (not complaining, we need it to reduce our drought situation). 

I feel bad for everyone up in PNW—extreme heat is a climate that takes weeks to acclimate to. Stay wet, if you can, to help your body cool itself. Cotton is your friend, not synthetics. 

• Love 5

Meanwhile in Michigan, we went from dry, parched 90+- degree days on end to a weekend of torrential rain which the earth could not absorb fast enough, causing major flooding.

And when it's cool but humid, it turns into The Hunger Games over at my house where I need the air on and hubby wants it off.  I have been known to move from room to room carrying a large portable fan just to make my point, which is that you really don't want to piss off a menopausal woman in the midst of 150% humidity.

And I voted for KUWTK as worst reality show because they need a good send-off, lol.  It amazes me that there are so many reality shows WORSE than Kodork and the Gang!

• Love 13