Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Congrats!  Off the road for good then?

Thanks! No, not yet.  Maybe 3 years, unless things get worse. However, this will be our little retirement place.  I can garden and can, there's parking for a R.V., and I can tell kids to GET OFF MY YARD! 🤣 If anyone's got any ideas about where to obtain a right powerful waterhose im all ears.  😁  Where's @SofaSloth when ya need her?  🤷‍♀️  🙃

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Maybe 3 years, unless things get worse. However, this will be our little retirement place.

Great idea to plan ahead and have something to look forward to.  And to shop for a super soaker hose.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 4/3/2021 at 11:40 PM, Gramto6 said:

To this day I mourn the loss of John Denver...

One of my very first crystal clear memories is of me around age 5 - I used to fall asleep listening to soft music on the radio with a timer set for 30 minutes.  One night, still awake, the radio cut off in the middle of a song I loved and I went downstairs, sobbing to my parents that I didn't get to hear the whole song...the song was Rocky Mountain High. 🙂

• Love 10

Well. Today was the big day for all of us.  My husband, me and my son all got our first vaccine shot today.  We all went through similar "weirdness" feelings of a sore shoulder, a weird numb arm to hand, but mine was just to my elbow.  We all still have dry eye and an overall lack of motivation. 

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I am afraid to get blood clots from the COVID vaccine. Ahhhh. And I have a feeling that without the vaccine I won’t be allowed to do anything.

I got the J&J vax before the blood clot stuff was publicized - like right before. Less than 24 hours after my shot, news stories were coming out about them closing J&J centers, etc. So that was a unique experience.

Tomorrow I am outside of the "danger" window for blood clots, plus I'm outside the danger age. My husband and I joke that he got the Premier Cru Burgundy of Covid shots (he's high risk and was in one of the first waves for Moderna), while I got the Two Buck Chuck (low risk, almost the last eligible in my state). He got the premium Belvedere vodka, while I got the Skol vodka. He got the Foie Gras, I got the squirrel livers.

I was pretty sick for about 48 hours post shot (starting about a day after getting it), but otherwise, all good. I needed a nap anyway, and my vaccine-induced illness let me sleep for two days. 

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I am afraid to get blood clots from the COVID vaccine. 

Statistically, it's extremely rare - 89 in one million for the J&J, 8 in one million for the others.  Contrast that with the chances of dying in a traffic accidentis at 107 per million.   

Not nullifying your fears and certainly many people survive Covid but do you want to be the vector for passing it to someone else who subsequently dies?

For what it's worth, I have been working the health department mass vax clinics since January.  Absolutely zero issues in the people we've vaccinated in the four counties that we cover.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Cetacean said:

Statistically, it's extremely rare - 89 in one million for the J&J, 8 in one million for the others.  Contrast that with the chances of dying in a traffic accidentis at 107 per million.   

Not nullifying your fears and certainly many people survive Covid but do you want to be the vector for passing it to someone else who subsequently dies?

For what it's worth, I have been working the health department mass vax clinics since January.  Absolutely zero issues in the people we've vaccinated in the four counties that we cover.

That's one thing I think the media has done a horrible job of; reporting the actual rarity of such cases. I actually didn't spend a lot of time worrying about getting a blood clot other than to mention to my hubby that if, by some minuscule chance, I got one, he needed to convey that to the doctor so they didn't give me the wrong stuff.

Mostly, we have just spent our time coming up with snarky comparisons to my low-rent J&J shot vs his luxury Moderna shot because he's a Boomer and I'm Gen X (we're three years apart - but it was apparently a generational three years), so I love to "Whatever Boomer" him and tell him how Boomers have ruined everything for everyone else. Apparently, sarcasm is my primary coping mechanism for...well...life. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

That's one thing I think the media has done a horrible job of; reporting the actual rarity of such cases.

Absolutely!  Even getting struck by lightning ranks at 84 per million.  Personally I don't know of a single person who got zapped.

• Love 3
Just now, Cetacean said:

Absolutely!  Even getting struck by lightning ranks at 84 per million.  Personally I don't know of a single person who got zapped.

Surprisingly, I do know someone who has been struck by lightning. Just the one, tho. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

Mostly, we have just spent our time coming up with snarky comparisons to my low-rent J&J shot vs his luxury Moderna shot because he's a Boomer and I'm Gen X (we're three years apart - but it was apparently a generational three years), so I love to "Whatever Boomer" him and tell him how Boomers have ruined everything for everyone else. Apparently, sarcasm is my primary coping mechanism for...well...life. 

Same situation here - hubby a Boomer, me a Gen X.  I'm stealing "Whatever Boomer."  😂

I've got one more kid who needs one more shot and my little circle is fully vaxxed.  I'm still uncertain about living a normal life again, whatever that means.  I am looking forward to outside dining, maybe an outdoor yoga class.  I very much want to travel to see my son in Colorado but I'm just not sure - we're tentatively planning on September, but who knows.  I've noted, however, that the non-maskers are inching up a bit in the grocery stores around me in SW Michigan, which is so bizarre...it used to be I'd see maybe one unmasked person like once a month or so.  Now I see them pretty regularly.  I'd like to think that these people have been vaxxed and are simply feeling confident, but I'm 99% certain that's not the case at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Same situation here - hubby a Boomer, me a Gen X.  I'm stealing "Whatever Boomer."  😂

I've got one more kid who needs one more shot and my little circle is fully vaxxed.  I'm still uncertain about living a normal life again, whatever that means.  I am looking forward to outside dining, maybe an outdoor yoga class.  I very much want to travel to see my son in Colorado but I'm just not sure - we're tentatively planning on September, but who knows.  I've noted, however, that the non-maskers are inching up a bit in the grocery stores around me in SW Michigan, which is so bizarre...it used to be I'd see maybe one unmasked person like once a month or so.  Now I see them pretty regularly.  I'd like to think that these people have been vaxxed and are simply feeling confident, but I'm 99% certain that's not the case at all.

Oh man...don't even get me started on the masking sitch. I live in a small town on the West Coast. I've worn masks almost from go, and in the early days I would actually have people say nasty stuff to me because I was masked. I never saw it as a political statement but as a courtesy to my fellow humans and a nod to, y'know, science and safe public health policy.

I have never been to a store in my town where there aren't at least a handful (and usually more) of maskless people running around, looking defiant, and glaring at people in masks. In fact, somewhere is a YouTube video of our county Sheriff telling a gathered gun-toting maskless mob (not kidding here, this actually happened) not to be "sheeple" and that he won't enforce masking in HIS county.

So I travel 20 minutes north to shop in a county where people do wear masks (including the Sheriff), and it is rare to see someone without one. I don't understand why wearing a mask is a line in the sand...I mean, I don't love it, but I would hate to be the reason someone became gravely ill. I decided to lean in...so I have super cute masks. Plus, it's given me the opportunity to work on my smize, so Tyra Banks et all would be thrilled.  

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I am afraid to get blood clots from the COVID vaccine. Ahhhh. And I have a feeling that without the vaccine I won’t be allowed to do anything.

So get Pfizer or Moderna.  Blood clots are much more likely with COVID than with the J&J vaccine also so consider that in your thought process.  Think on the positives and get on with life.  If you should develop the clots, they can treat them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 4/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, Meowwww said:

Hammies!   It’s what I call hamsters.  They can be vicious  little buggers and eat each other more often than not.  I work at a pet food store that also sells small animals.  

I used to work in a pet food store too!! We didn’t sell small babies but we did have a doggy day care that I worked in and LOOOOOOOVED!! 

I call hamsters “hampters” because my niece used to say it like that and it got stuck in my head. However, when I’m playing around with my husband I’ll pinch his leg and ask him about his “steamed hammies” Lol. No idea why but it’s funny.

• Love 3
On 4/24/2021 at 9:04 PM, Roslyn said:

Well. Today was the big day for all of us.  My husband, me and my son all got our first vaccine shot today.  We all went through similar "weirdness" feelings of a sore shoulder, a weird numb arm to hand, but mine was just to my elbow.  We all still have dry eye and an overall lack of motivation. 

We decided not to get vaccinated at the same time.  My daughter and SIL got the vaccine earlier in the year at the university where they teach.  It was really easy for them; they got an email and were allowed to pick a date and time.  I think they were a week apart.   My DIL is vaccinated, but our son had COVID and his doctor told him not to get vaccinated at this time.  My cousin who thinks she is my daughter had super bad covid and missed 6 weeks of work;  she was told to get the vaccine and both of the Moderna shots she got made her really sick for 72 hours.

Mr Twopper and I got the Pfizer one.  He didn't have any symptoms.  I pushed the freezer door shut with my arm when I got a lot of stuff out and that was the only time I felt a sore arm.  I also felt pretty stupid.

I have heard that one is more likely to get symptoms with the second dose.  We shall see, I guess.   We have our first grandchild arriving in 8 weeks so we want everyone vaccinated and able to see him.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, NoWhammies said:

Surprisingly, I do know someone who has been struck by lightning. Just the one, tho. 

I know two.  They were standing side by side on the same boat though.  One bolt for two people.  One died and one survived.

1 hour ago, NoWhammies said:

Oh man...don't even get me started on the masking sitch. I live in a small town on the West Coast. I've worn masks almost from go, and in the early days I would actually have people say nasty stuff to me because I was masked. I never saw it as a political statement but as a courtesy to my fellow humans and a nod to, y'know, science and safe public health policy.

I have never been to a store in my town where there aren't at least a handful (and usually more) of maskless people running around, looking defiant, and glaring at people in masks. In fact, somewhere is a YouTube video of our county Sheriff telling a gathered gun-toting maskless mob (not kidding here, this actually happened) not to be "sheeple" and that he won't enforce masking in HIS county.

So I travel 20 minutes north to shop in a county where people do wear masks (including the Sheriff), and it is rare to see someone without one. I don't understand why wearing a mask is a line in the sand...I mean, I don't love it, but I would hate to be the reason someone became gravely ill. I decided to lean in...so I have super cute masks. Plus, it's given me the opportunity to work on my smize, so Tyra Banks et all would be thrilled.  

Hi Lewis County!  I have family in Centralia and Grays Harbor County.  :)  I completely agree with everything you posted and have had the same experience even here in Sacramento area California.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Enya Face said:

I call hamsters “hampters” because my niece used to say it like that and it got stuck in my head. 

My whole family calls snakes "sneaks" because that is what our little brother (now 59) used to call them. When he was three I had to rescue him from the swing set, carrying him away from it piggyback,  because the sneaks were on the ground. That time it was one earthworm.  We even refer to long cat toys as sneaks too.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I've noted, however, that the non-maskers are inching up a bit in the grocery stores around me in SW Michigan, which is so bizarre...it used to be I'd see maybe one unmasked person like once a month or so.  Now I see them pretty regularly.  I'd like to think that these people have been vaxxed and are simply feeling confident, but I'm 99% certain that's not the case at all.

Welcome to MI, the new GA.  Same situation in NE MI.  I am back to doing curbside pick up of groceries even after being vaccinated.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Welcome to MI, the new GA.  Same situation in NE MI.  I am back to doing curbside pick up of groceries even after being vaccinated.

I'm so sorry.  We've been sorting our friends into selfish and community spirited.  It's been sad, but necessary.  Unfortunately one of my kids has had in-laws who don't follow rules to deal with.  She and her husband have had to walk out of family gatherings. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Shoot, you should see it here in Wisconsin.   Our state no longer has a mask mandate, but businesses can still require it.  Even the servers in our restaurants are maskless with no minimum capacity rules.    And I’m only 20 minutes from the Minnesota border...Minnesotans are flocking here in droves. Our bars and restaurants are packed.  
I got the J&J one, about ten days before the clot news came out.  I’m now a little over two weeks past and hoping I’m ok.  I’m 50. It kicked my butt for about five days, but I worked the whole time (my job is not stressful, but it requires a ton of physical stuff, I think that helped.). 

Edited by Meowwww
Stupid random numbers popping up instead of letters.
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm so sorry.  We've been sorting our friends into selfish and community spirited.  It's been sad, but necessary.  Unfortunately one of my kids has had in-laws who don't follow rules to deal with.  She and her husband have had to walk out of family gatherings. 

That is sad.  I don't feel safe letting anyone in the house yet, even though Mr. X and I are fully vaccinated.  With the nicer weather, I have resumed walking outside on nice days with a double-layered gaiter than I can pull up if anyone comes near.  I ride my stationary bicycle on days I don't walk outside.  Is it considered rude or intrusive to ask people if they've been vaccinated?  One of our friends hasn't been, and he's over 65, like we are, so unless it's outdoors with distance, we won't be seeing him.  I won't go anywhere other than my house indoors, without a mask.  Better safe than sorry.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

I got the J&J one, about ten days before the clot news came out.  

I am so glad you've finally had your jab!  All of those stories of working through the pandemic had me so worried for you!

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, Absolom said:

We've been sorting our friends into selfish and community spirited.  It's been sad, but necessary. 

Sadly, so have I.  I look at it as a core value.  If  you are "all about me" then your core values are so radically different than mine that I don't want to be associated with you.  In my mind you are the kind of person that stands by and watches an old lady being kicked and filming it instead of calling the police.

4 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Is it considered rude or intrusive to ask people if they've been vaccinated?

Personally I don't think so.  "Keeping sweet" and allowing someone to infect me just doesn't make sense.  If they take offense then I'm sorry but we all need to look out for ourselves and any others we might come in contact with.

• Love 11

I'm in MT, went grocery shopping today and was really disappointed that most of the shoppers were maskless. I will mask up for along time to come and wish other people thought about others not just their own wishes.

I have not been vaccinated yet as I need to talk to my dr about it since I have a history of anaphylaxis and many bad reactions to drugs. I see him in July so I will remain a hermit until I feel safe taking the vax.

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

That is sad.

In a couple cases we're a little sad about it, in others I think it's more disappointed.  We thought people were more inline with our views of the world and we found out it was different.  It's OK and good to know.  I do have two close friends who are refusing to vaccinate and one won't wear masks for visits. We're still friends, but I won't be going indoors with the non-mask wearer any time soon.  It's more the politics that have come out.  We have a mask mandate in the state and when I say non-mask wearer I mean in their own home with other people around not in stores and such.  They're following the rules outside their own home.

The ones not following the mask mandate or the gathering rules are the ones we've had issues with.  

I've always known my daughter's MIL was selfish and this has made it apparent to her son at long last.  She would invite them over for dinner so she could see the grandchildren.  Notice they have to pack up and transport two children rather than her hop in the car and drive over?  They would get there and people from three more households were already there!  So yep, at least three times they turned around and left before she finally got the message.  They refused to go to her birthday party because too many households were being mixed before they were vaccinated and she wouldn't have it outside.  

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I have not been vaccinated yet as I need to talk to my dr about it since I have a history of anaphylaxis and many bad reactions to drugs. I see him in July so I will remain a hermit until I feel safe taking the vax.

I hope you can take it.  I have a history of vaccine anaphylaxis and had a milder vaccine allergic reaction as recently as December.  We decided to gamble and I had it in my doctor's office in February.  It should be a lot easier to arrange that now.  I had no known allergies to anything in the vax and no allergic reaction at all.  I hope you can do the same.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

She would invite them over for dinner so she could see the grandchildren. 

My former mother-in-law was like that. I dreaded visits, 3 children, we went to her. Then, she’d have random friends over during those visits, presumably to show what a great grandmother she was.  The only bright side was WE chose when to go home!

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear that you and the others here have had to endure all those maskless people walking around.  That would be unthinkable here in CT where we still have a mask mandate and probably will for some time to come, thankfully.  Even with masks I've only recently started going out shopping and for walks.  I had my 2nd Moderna shot early in the month so I'm good to go now, but I still have hesitancy about doing much.   And that's despite the fact that CT is 3rd in the nation for vaccine rate.  I think some of my intertia is depression over a year out of my life in virtual isolation except for my husband combined with grieving over my father and the usual winter blahs.  It will take some time to snap out of it.  The nicer weather is helping, though.  I'm getting more exercise which can only help my mood and my health too.  I've already lost a couple of pounds - I've decided that a year of sulking over comfort foods needs to end and a new one started based on a healthier reduced carb diet.

I finally got my hair cut and made an eye doctor appointment for next month.  They say they've been swamped with people like me making appointments.  I'm calling the dentist tomorrow.  I know, I'm getting braver and braver, LOL.  Just starting slow and dipping my toe in the water.  My friends in NYC and I have talked about getting together at our favorite Italian joint in Yonkers for lunch soon.  We just found out they have outdoor seating now.  We haven't seen each other since January of 2020.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know, I'm getting braver and braver, LOL.  Just starting slow and dipping my toe in the water. 

I think that's what most of the cautious but vaccinated folks are doing.  Small steps, taking precautions but enjoying a sense of relief and a lightening of the spirit.  I had lifelong friends stay over for a couple of days at my place recently.  So good to have someone else in the house!  I still avoid restaurants because of the anti-mask crowd but once the weather warms up will consider outdoor dining as long as the space is large enough.  And had a no mask meeting with a group of older than dirt members of our non-profit although we sat far apart.  Nice to see whole faces!

• Love 7

It's weird to me to see so many people who are just living "normal" lives right now. Traveling, going to restaurants, having parties, etc. We have been so strategic in what we've done for so long...one trip to the store per week, racing through the store when we get there, most supplies ordered online. Always masked when we go out. In the summer, we gathered with a few friends in our backyard but only after cleaning the bathrooms thoroughly and designating one bathroom per couple (which meant six of us gathered). Everyone brought their own food. 

Last summer I sat out on a huge deck at a restaurant with tables spaced well apart and had lunch with five friends. My son got married on the beach with 10 people in attendance, all wearing masks. 

And yet, I see so many people living life as usual who have been all along. It has seemed so surreal to me. I haven't hugged anyone but my husband in months--which is okay - I'm not a hugger, and I always find it awkward when casual acquaintances or strangers come at me with arms wide open yelling, "I'm a hugger!" It's not that I'm anti-hugging, per se, or unfriendly. I just protect my hugging purity. Maybe I'm saving it for marriage. 

I was working on being better socially before Covid hit. I am this weird dichotomy. I do a ton of public speaking, teach classes, stuff like that, and in my element I'm absolutely fine. With my friends - life of the party. Laughing, joking, boisterous. But I can be socially awkward in an unfamiliar group situation because I'm shy. If you're my people, I'm fine. If I don't know people and it's not a professional event, I tend to hang back and watch or hang out with my people only. So I was working on that and actually getting better at being more engaging in those situations. Introducing myself to people (the horror!), starting conversations. I suspect I've taken a HUGE step back in that department. I guess I'll see when we start getting out there again.

As for the rest - I'm an introvert who works from home. I like my space and when I'm around a lot of people (which I enjoy doing and have to do frequently for my work in "normal" times) it takes me days to recover just because that huge, extended social interaction exhausts me. If I do a conference weekend, I don't come out of my house for like a week, and hubby gives me wide berth during that week just so I can recover energetically. So for me, being at home a lot hasn't been a huge deal. I've moved my classes and speaking online, and I've been fine with that. Conferences have been canceled, and I'm okay with that. I miss my kids, and I miss my friends. But on the plus side, I haven't had to hang out with certain family members for more than a year, and that has been a huge blessing. 

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I think that's what most of the cautious but vaccinated folks are doing.  Small steps, taking precautions but enjoying a sense of relief and a lightening of the spirit.  I had lifelong friends stay over for a couple of days at my place recently.  So good to have someone else in the house!  I still avoid restaurants because of the anti-mask crowd but once the weather warms up will consider outdoor dining as long as the space is large enough.  And had a no mask meeting with a group of older than dirt members of our non-profit although we sat far apart.  Nice to see whole faces!

If you have access to the NYT, I found this article on the subject to be particularly relevant.  I'm  thinking about having my best friend over for a weekend at some point soon, but she's the one in NYC that doesn't drive so that might involve a little strategy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

I'm not a hugger, and I always find it awkward when casual acquaintances or strangers come at me with arms wide open yelling, "I'm a hugger!" It's not that I'm anti-hugging, per se, or unfriendly.

I'm with you on this. I only like to be hugged by a significant other (when I've had one). 

I've been emerging slowly as well. I got my second shot on 3/26. I took the commuter train up to Westchester a couple of times after two weeks, but instead of subway I took a cab to the station, a not inconsiderable expense. I just can't bring myself to get on the subway yet. It's supposedly well-ventilated but who knows how many people are removing their masks or wearing below nose. And let's face it, many people who ride the subway regularly are from vaccine-hesitant communities. I read about an assisted living facility (I forget location) where 95% of residents had been fully vaccinated for more than two weeks, but only about 50% of staff (fairly typical), and an unvaccinated caregiver had covid. All the residents were exposed, and almost all tested positive for covid.  Most were asymptomatic. One of the unvaccinated residents died. I've read that even asymptomatic infection can lead to long-haul symptoms.

I will say I felt fine on the commuter train - it was not crowded and seemed very airy. It was a short trip both times, and I was with a half-vaxxed (at the time) friend, which helped. She was a LOT less cautious than I. She even ate for over an hour at a crowded outdoor restaurant with our other friends. I waited on a park bench. No way would I enjoy my food in that situation.

However, I may force myself to get on a plane next month. A dear friend has had a recurrence of cancer and I want to see him before the end, while he's still somewhat chipper. I wasn't sure he'd want to see anyone except his girlfriend, but he wants to see me, too. It may have to be on zoom as I'm not sure I can risk getting on a plane (to Las Vegas, of all places - great, a plane with a bunch of risk-taking gambooleros). I want to bring him his favorite pizza. We grew up in the same neighborhood in NYC but did not meet until 2005. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I'm with you on this. I only like to be hugged by a significant other (when I've had one). 

I've been emerging slowly as well. I got my second shot on 3/26. I took the commuter train up to Westchester a couple of times after two weeks, but instead of subway I took a cab to the station, a not inconsiderable expense. I just can't bring myself to get on the subway yet. It's supposedly well-ventilated but who knows how many people are removing their masks or wearing below nose. And let's face it, many people who ride the subway regularly are from vaccine-hesitant communities. I read about an assisted living facility (I forget location) where 95% of residents had been fully vaccinated for more than two weeks, but only about 50% of staff (fairly typical), and an unvaccinated caregiver had covid. All the residents were exposed, and almost all tested positive for covid.  Most were asymptomatic. One of the unvaccinated residents died. I've read that even asymptomatic infection can lead to long-haul symptoms.

I will say I felt fine on the commuter train - it was not crowded and seemed very airy. It was a short trip both times, and I was with a half-vaxxed (at the time) friend, which helped. She was a LOT less cautious than I. She even ate for over an hour at a crowded outdoor restaurant with our other friends. I waited on a park bench. No way would I enjoy my food in that situation.

However, I may force myself to get on a plane next month. A dear friend has had a recurrence of cancer and I want to see him before the end, while he's still somewhat chipper. I wasn't sure he'd want to see anyone except his girlfriend, but he wants to see me, too. It may have to be on zoom as I'm not sure I can risk getting on a plane (to Las Vegas, of all places - great, a plane with a bunch of risk-taking gambooleros). I want to bring him his favorite pizza. We grew up in the same neighborhood in NYC but did not meet until 2005. 

So sorry to hear about your friend, Tea.  Knowing me, I would go because I wouldn't want to miss seeing someone I may never see again.  I've had people die on me suddenly that I will never have the chance to see again (not to mention my father, but that was a different story).  You will be lucky to be able to do that.  And you know how virus-avoidant I am.  A woman I know from another thread on this board had to move across country a few months ago and she is also very covid-avoidant.  She went with mask, visor, goggles, gloves, LOL, but she did it and came through fine.  And that was before anyone had the vaccine!

That's good to know about the commuter train.  My non-driving friend wants to take that up to New Haven, then we would drive her the rest of the way.  She has also been avoiding the subway like the plague and would take cabs to the station, with the windows open a bit of course.

Also, I'll have to research that story about the assisted living facility.  We don't hear enough stories proving that the vaccines prevent symptoms of the virus like this one, and I've been puzzled as to why because I think it might help encourage some people to get vaccinated.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

We don't hear enough stories proving that the vaccines prevent symptoms of the virus like this one, and I've been puzzled as to why because I think it might help encourage some people to get vaccinated.

Common sense is not that common.  What seems so obvious (the vaccine protects you, here is the proof) just does not penetrate through to those with a raging case of cognitive dissonance.  

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Common sense is not that common.  What seems so obvious (the vaccine protects you, here is the proof) just does not penetrate through to those with a raging case of cognitive dissonance.  

I hear you, and you're right about those people, but I've been able to help some vaccine avoidant friends feel more confident about getting vaccinated by giving them some facts to consider which make getting the vaccine a more attractive choice than not getting it.  Of course these are not people whose heads are filled with ideological garbage.  They're just afraid of side effects, etc.

• Love 6
On 4/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, Twopper said:

We decided not to get vaccinated at the same time.  My daughter and SIL got the vaccine earlier in the year at the university where they teach.  It was really easy for them; they got an email and were allowed to pick a date and time.  I think they were a week apart.   My DIL is vaccinated, but our son had COVID and his doctor told him not to get vaccinated at this time.  My cousin who thinks she is my daughter had super bad covid and missed 6 weeks of work;  she was told to get the vaccine and both of the Moderna shots she got made her really sick for 72 hours.

Mr Twopper and I got the Pfizer one.  He didn't have any symptoms.  I pushed the freezer door shut with my arm when I got a lot of stuff out and that was the only time I felt a sore arm.  I also felt pretty stupid.

I have heard that one is more likely to get symptoms with the second dose.  We shall see, I guess.   We have our first grandchild arriving in 8 weeks so we want everyone vaccinated and able to see him.

My husband has been trying to get the vaccine for a long time.  Sadly, Pennsylvania was lacking in distribution.  I really don't understand how the whole state could be back logged with essential workers, high risk and elderly as late as the first week of April.  States all around are opening to all adults, and then poof, PA magically can open to all adults when the president says they need do.  WTF??

I also have heard the second dose is more likely to have symptoms.  The dry eye stuck around for all of us for two days and the injection site on my arm was swollen for and very tender to touch.  Even a tshirt sleeve was bothering it.  Then it just stopped and no swelling.  That was the worst of it.  Except for all of us having zero motivation for anything that day.  Take out pizza for dinner that night 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I also have heard the second dose is more likely to have symptoms. 

That is true and makes sense when you think about it.  The first dose revs up your immune system to recognize an invader and mount a defense in the form of antibodies.  When you get the second one your body says "hey, wait, we already sent our the soldiers - since that didn't seem to work we're sending out a whole platoon this time".  And as I tell people at the clinics who are concerned, be happy you have some side effects.  It means your immune system is doing its job!

Anecdotally I find that the younger folks seem to have more immediate and diverse reactions.  My theory is that their immune systems are more reactive then those of us "old as dirt" folks whose systems have slowed down like the rest of our bodies.  However, the immunity is ultimately the same two weeks after the second jab.

• Love 6

Uggh I now live in Tennessee and the governor is removing all restrictions for everything in May. Cetacean, you are so correct saying Common sense is not that common. Watching how the US has dealt with this has been more frustrating than bingeing an entire season of the SW's!

What I'm not hearing on the news and other places, is if you can still indeed get covid, if vaccinated, it's just less likely to kill you? I'd rather not get it at all, and will stay hyper-vigilant forever I guess. Definitely still wearing masks during cold and flu season, because it was great not getting either this year! (I always seem get the flu, even with the flu shot)

I get my 2nd Pfizer dose in a few hours! The first gave me a very mild fibromyalgia flare, and the arm soreness, but neither lasted but a few days and was worth it! My husband had an odd but short reaction to the first dose, yet no arm soreness, and then had nothing but arm soreness after 2nd one.

• Love 5

Every vaccine has a certain "failure" rate as in none are 100% effective in preventing all cases of whatever they are for.  While the absolute numbers seem a bit impressive, percentage wise so far they are very, very small and in the expected range.  Many cases are asymptomatic and hospitalizations are very low and deaths very, very low.  Breakthrough cases are one of the reasons those of us fully vaccinated should still be careful and wear a mask indoors in many situations and especially crowded ones.  It's why I still won't eat indoors at a restaurant and limit my potential exposure while still going out a bit more than I was before the vaccination.  Thus ends today's PSA.  :)  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Uggh I now live in Tennessee and the governor is removing all restrictions for everything in May. Cetacean, you are so correct saying Common sense is not that common. Watching how the US has dealt with this has been more frustrating than bingeing an entire season of the SW's!

What I'm not hearing on the news and other places, is if you can still indeed get covid, if vaccinated, it's just less likely to kill you? I'd rather not get it at all, and will stay hyper-vigilant forever I guess. Definitely still wearing masks during cold and flu season, because it was great not getting either this year! (I always seem get the flu, even with the flu shot)

I get my 2nd Pfizer dose in a few hours! The first gave me a very mild fibromyalgia flare, and the arm soreness, but neither lasted but a few days and was worth it! My husband had an odd but short reaction to the first dose, yet no arm soreness, and then had nothing but arm soreness after 2nd one.

Hope your second dose isn't too much of a bear. :) Tylenol is your friend. I slept for about two days after my one-dose J&J. Or tried to sleep, but the construction workers building houses on the lot next door kept coming into my yard and setting off my Ring camera motion detectors which, in turn, kept setting off my dog. So I slept as I could. 

So from what I've read based on breakthrough cases in care homes (there's an article in The New Yorker about it), it appears that vaccinated people can get Covid but most either are asymptomatic or have very mild or moderate cases. However, severe cases and death seem to be mostly off the table thus far in the vaccinated population.

The problem is the whole asymptomatic carrier aspect, which is why masking is still so important until more people are vaccinated and/or more is understood. You can still be an asymptomatic carrier so you still can make other people sick. And of course, while vaccines have been tested on the new variants to some extent, as the virus adapts, if we continue to have a widely unvaccinated population and an unmasked vaccinated population spreading it, it increases the chances of mutations that can affect even vaccinated populations.

Of course, this is based on my non-doctor understanding of the science of it all, so everything I said could be completely incorrect or at least partially wrong. 

An interesting side note, my son and his wife had Covid (he works at a grocery store, so it was inevitable I suppose), and he had a reaction after his first shot like a lot of people are reporting after the second. So I did some research and this seems to be a "thing" because having the Covid primes the body like a first shot would for everyone else. So they are still getting the second shot as recommended, but they are waiting 2 months between shots. 

• Useful 3
On 4/26/2021 at 12:37 PM, iwantcookies said:

didn't you already have Covid/ and the shot?

• Love 3

From the WaPo today, postive news about the efficacy of vaccines.  We are getting more and more data becasue of the number of people getting the vaccine.

43 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

Of course, this is based on my non-doctor understanding of the science of it all, so everything I said could be completely incorrect or at least partially wrong.

You are not incorrect.  Whipping off your mask, even if vaccinated, is not a good idea.  Time to start coordinating not only shoes and jewelry but your mask as well!  I know I am making masks for every season with different prints.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

From the WaPo today, positive news about the efficacy of vaccines.  We are getting more and more data because of the number of people getting the vaccine.

94% protection from needing to be hospitalized is great, but I'd like to know what sorts of symptoms, especially long-term symptoms, these 94% get and how many of them have no symptoms at all

In Canada we were led to believe that 80% of us would be protected from hospitalization while we wait 16 weeks for the second dose, but this WaPo article says in the real world, with variants, the number is closer to 50%.  So we are still in nearly full lockdown mode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

94% protection from needing to be hospitalized is great, but I'd like to know what sorts of symptoms, especially long-term symptoms, these 94% get and how many of them have no symptoms at all

I think all that will come out over time.  The vaccine hasn't been out long enough to know much at this point.  Inquiring minds want to know!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

Hope your second dose isn't too much of a bear. :) Tylenol is your friend. I slept for about two days after my one-dose J&J. Or tried to sleep, but the construction workers building houses on the lot next door kept coming into my yard and setting off my Ring camera motion detectors which, in turn, kept setting off my dog. So I slept as I could. 

So far so good! I got it at 2pm, and it's now after 6, and I feel absolutely nothing this time...well, so far! Goodness to your post-poke noisefest. I probably would have been that neighbor, and asked them to please hammer quietly (and they would have flipped me off, or made sure to get louder lol)

So much good info here! I'm soaking it up. I'm curious and hungry for data on covid that is impossible to have yet, like if you've had it, can it leave your system open to other, more serious issues years later? What are possible long-term, later life effects when kids get it?

Since it's a virus, can a form of long covid pop up after deep stress or illness like shingles can, or like herpes? Does it leave your system weaker or less able to fight other bugs off? Is there any chance of covid leading to types of cancer later on? Can it cause any fetal problems? Can it worsen long-term medical conditions (heart disease, diabetes,asthma) like the flu can? I also wonder how easily long-covid is getting caught, or if any sufferers are  getting the misdiagnosis game, like many of those with autoimmune issues have to go through. That could be a hellish journey. (And can covid aggravate autoimmune stuff? See, my mind is a bag of odd)

Will they need to guess how to blend or modify  the vaccine each year (or every 6 mo?) like they do the flu vaccine--and couldn't that affect efficacy? How low are the chances of getting long-covid when fully vaxxed? As if mutations and possible death aren't enough reason to stay cautious, my mind has to go to all these other places. I just have so very many questions, and am looking forward to data dumps as more is learned.

It irks me to no end the big pushes to 'get back to normal' instead of adapting what normal looks like.

• Love 10

Got my first shot today. The Moderna.   About 11 am.  My arm hurts really bad, but other than that nothing so far.  I've heard the second day could be worse. Or maybe on the second shot.  My mom felt really bad after the second one.  My daughter got hers on Friday and my SIL is going to get the J&J shot Monday.

Luckily I was able to go to CVS and get it. 

• Love 10