Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Sadly the arts always lose to athletics.   Is a career in music longer that in, say, football?  Probably but at a pittance in terms of salary.  There are far fewer scholarships for those in the arts.  And only a miniscule fraction of athletes go onto pro careers and most of those recruited for colleges never graduate as opposed to those in the arts.  So a handful of morons play a few years at a sallary in millions and never make anything of themselves.

When I was an ER nurse we were in a community that had a number of football players living in the area.  Those I met (and their wives) were some are the dumbest humans I have ever met, 

The inequality is staggering.  And all about money. There is never any thought as to the enrichment in life that the arts provide. It's all about ticket sales for the owners of sports teams.  It's very, very sad what this countyr sees as important.

How bleak our lives would be without art or music.

I ❤️ you @Cetacean. I couldn't agree more

• Love 2

I've been watching reruns of The Office. I can't believe I didn't find this show funny when it first aired, even though I loved Steve Carell in other projects. It's hilarious, and I recommend it to anyone who is feeling down. It's really helped my mood.

Edited by Teafortwo
typo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, CocoPuffs said:

I have really enjoyed catching up on the snark today. Looking forward to next week. Although I too think the show itself can be pretty boring, I wouldn’t miss the snark here! Talk about some insightful (and hilarious) commentary.

If we all ironically lived in the same place, and there was no such thing as a pandemic and if I wasn’t such a raging introvert, I’d definitely invite you all over. 

Were we separated at birth?  I completely agree with your post, especially the last part!🥰

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Twopper said:

who would never admit in public that they watch this drivel or the other stuff on TLC or Bravo

No one else but here knows I watch, except Mr. X and daughter.  

I'm just happy to snark with you all.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

I have really enjoyed catching up on the snark today. Looking forward to next week. Although I too think the show itself can be pretty boring, I wouldn’t miss the snark here! Talk about some insightful (and hilarious) commentary.

If we all ironically lived in the same place, and there was no such thing as a pandemic and if I wasn’t such a raging introvert, I’d definitely invite you all over. 

My sentiments exactly! I was on a zoom call the other day and one friend who's been very careful with virus precautions came out and said that she's at a point now where she's decided that getting together with friends is worth any risk to her health. She's basically giving up on social distancing. 

My response? "Human contact is overrated!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

My anti-vax neighbors are planning a March car trip to Oregon from Southern California.  I'm cat sitting.  I sincerely hope this does not mean I end up in prolonged cat sitting while they end up vacating in a hospital somewhere.  

3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I sincerely hope this does not mean I end up in prolonged cat sitting while they end up vacating in a hospital somewhere.  

Sadly, they are more likely to just spread the disease all over the place killing off people and have a mild case with nothing but a slight cough.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Sadly, they are more likely to just spread the disease all over the place killing off people and have a mild case with nothing but a slight cough.

They are 65 and 71.  I'm a bit fearful for their health along with everyone in their path.  

• Love 4

You know, I miss being able to go to the doctor.  Of all things lol. My clinic is still video visits....I hurt my wrist and my tennis elbow is acting up. How would that work on a video visit?   
Plus my PVCs are way worse this last year....cardiology is taking emergency visits only, everything else is video.  
I hate people, I hate being touched lol, but geez....let me go to my dr who can manipulate my sore wrist and elbow.  Ugh. 
I too am at a point where I don’t care much about catching COVID anymore.  I work retail, Essential business, am exposed to hundreds of people a day.  Always had negative tests. 
I am just SO OVER THIS.  

21 hours ago, Absolom said:

They are 65 and 71.  I'm a bit fearful for their health along with everyone in their path.  

My in laws are mid 70s.  They have been going out to breakfast or lunch or dinner pretty much daily, way more than they did pre-virus.  They feel like they are stuck at home and MUST. GO. OUT. AND. DO. THINGS.  At least they canceled their two months in Mazatlan.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Meowwww said:

You know, I miss being able to go to the doctor.  Of all things lol. My clinic is still video visits....I hurt my wrist and my tennis elbow is acting up. How would that work on a video visit?   
Plus my PVCs are way worse this last year....cardiology is taking emergency visits only, everything else is video.  
I hate people, I hate being touched lol, but geez....let me go to my dr who can manipulate my sore wrist and elbow.  Ugh. 
I too am at a point where I don’t care much about catching COVID anymore.  I work retail, Essential business, am exposed to hundreds of people a day.  Always had negative tests. 
I am just SO OVER THIS.  

I hear you, my best friend and I were talking on the phone about being over this situation.  I know this would probably sound strange in a normal universe, but being around people even like you are actually seems somewhat attractive to people like me and most of my friends who are pretty much self-isolating and avoiding public places this Winter.  I'm not employed, I don't need to go out for pretty much anything right now, except the occasional sanity car ride to nowhere and back.  I even get my groceries delivered. 

I'm particularly limited because I live in New England where we are covered in snow and it's really cold outside.  Even the walking trails are unusable right now.  Unless I wanted to take a chance and go mall walking what choices do I have right now?  Not too many.  It's pretty depressing and every time I get some hope for a better tomorrow there's news that makes me lose some of it or worry that it's all going to be an illusion.  New vaccine resistant variants?  People supposedly dying after getting vaccinated?  No causal relationship has been established and I am hence skeptical, but why does everything have to insert a seed of doubt into every kernel of hope I'm trying to focus on?  I was just starting to feel optimistic about getting closer to being vaccinated, which doesn't look like it'll be until next month at the earliest.

I haven't seen my 2 best friends in a year because they live so far away.  I have seen the local friends but only once or twice and only in the warm weather outside.  In the warm weather I also went out walking a lot.  I even went shopping in stores and went to several doctor appointments in person.  I had my mammogram, my pap smear, my blood tests, got a haircut, ate outside in restaurants a couple of times, etc.  As soon as the case count went sky high a few months back both my husband and I started isolating as much as possible.  February and March are always the toughest months for people in my part of the country, but add everything else pandemic-related and it's over the top.

Yesterday hubbie reminded me of one of his uber-rich client's offer to let us stay at his palatial 5,000 square foot estate in Florida when he's not there.  He and his girlfriend will probably come back to CT some time in the Spring so maybe this Summer we'll feel better about safety issues and take a road trip down there.  I am so down I can't even get my hopes up that this will feel like a good idea when the time comes.  I am too afraid to get my hopes up and then be let down.  How sad is THAT?

The good news is that the closing on my Dad's apartment is now probably only a few weeks away.  The only time I've been out of the house in weeks was last week when we drove the 100 miles down to see it one last time and give the keys to the doorman.  We took photos and a video.  It was hard, but I was like a little kid in the car enjoying the change of scenery.

• Love 9
On 2/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I think you are correct.  However, when students see football getting more support than their choir or band, it is disheartening, and it does not go unnoticed by the students.

Agreed.  I love museums and concerts, and have traveled across the Southeast to see antiquities on temporary display.  Another pet peeve of mine when I was in college was the hype and attempt at getting both soccer and football teams installed while our astronomy and physics sections in the library remained woefully outdated and rarely tended. All that money...sigh.

If I ever win the lottery science departments in grammar and middle schools are gonna see an uptick in new books and equipment, fer sure, fer sure!!!  🤪

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • Love 8

An interesting article from WaPo about coronaphobia

In case you cannot or don't want to read the whole thing, I thought this passage was interesting.

Health anxiety also can lead people to frequently search the Internet to see if their symptoms match whatever illness they’re afraid they might have. “That’s a real problem, because Dr. Google will pop up with scary diagnoses or things that could be wrong,” Taylor says. “It’s going down a rabbit hole: You check one thing, and that can lead you to another, and you can end up scaring yourself even more.” Research has found that people have a tendency to engage in disease-related “query escalation” during Internet searches, which can cause health anxiety to build..

Because most of us are home all of the time and tied to our computers we probaby spend way too much time down the rabbit hole.  You hear "somebody died after the vaccine" and yet 32 million have had the it in the US thus far so the odds are definitely in our favor.  But somehow hearing about that one case starts raising fears.

Same thing with the "second dose reactions".  If you tell somebody it might happen, I guarantee it will.  

Working the mass vaccine clinics has been an eye opener for that.  For what it's worth I have now been involved in vaccinating over 2500 people on first and second doses and not one single person has had a post-vax reaction while in our post-vax waiting room.  Not one.  The paramedics standing by are bored to tears.

At the second dose clinics no one has complained of anything worse than a sore arm (I work the screening area and we ask) except for a couple with a fever or aches.  Those are pretty good odds.  Of course we don't see anyone again after the second dose so there may be more serious reactions but I can speak for myself in that I only had the same sore arm.

I am so encouraged that so many people are eager to be vaccinated.  And while I was doing OK in my isolation, I have to admit that working these events has really revived me despite the long hours.  It's good to feel like I am helping to make a difference.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Agreed.  I love museums and concerts, and have traveled across the Southeast to see antiquities on temporary display.  Another pet peeve of mine when I was in college was the hype and attempt at getting both soccer and football teams installed while our astronomy and physics sections in the library remained woefully outdated and rarely tended. All that money...sigh.

If I ever win the lottery science departments in grammar and middle schools are gonna see an uptick in new books and equipment, fer sure, fer sure!!!  🤪

I work in a museum and it is so hard to get funding for things. We're at the bottom of the priority list. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, suomi said:

Mary Wilson, one of the original Supremes, died at her home in Nevada.

I thought she died several years ago.  I guess there must be some other singer that I thought was alive, but who is dead. 

12 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

love museums and concerts,

We go see live plays as much as possible.  I just realized the last play we saw was this time last year.  The last time I was in a church was also last February for a funeral Mass.   We have made it to the dentist twice.  And I go to the grocery once a week. 

22 hours ago, Meowwww said:

My in laws are mid 70s.  They have been going out to breakfast or lunch or dinner pretty much daily, way more than they did pre-virus.  They feel like they are stuck at home and MUST. GO. OUT. AND. DO. THINGS.  

Nope, not us.   I did not realize until this pandemic came along that we ate out as much as we did.  I am so exhausted from doing meal plans for every day of the week.  At the moment I have a fiesta chicken in the crockpot.  

My bet is things will start to get back to normal in June.  At least I hope so,  By that time a lot of people will be vaccinated.   I noticed that for our county the highest peak of positive tests was Dec 20-Jan 12 which roughly coincides with the Christmas holiday travel season.  We are now at a third of those numbers and still headed down so that makes me optimistic. 

I saw a lot of people on social media complaining about the celebration in Tampa Sunday which reminded me of the same complaints about the celebration in Tuscaloosa after the Rose Bowl.  I checked the data for Tuscaloosa county and there was no spike after that.  Their  stats are headed down as well.

By the way, the favorite game we play as a family used to be Pandemic and some of its variations.  I think I will go burn it as we may never want to play it again.   We were always relieved to pick up the card that read "one quiet night" and I think of that as I see the weekly and 14 day averages nearing the ideal level.

One of the people who was a senior during my freshman year of high school died last week.  For some  reason, I was relieved it was a heart attack and not COVID.

Edited by Twopper
spelling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Mary Wilson, one of the original Supremes, died at her home in Nevada. She was 76. I always thought she was the best dancer (and Gayle King looks like her).

RIP Mary Wilson.  I don't know how she put up with Diva Diana for all those years.  I read her books years ago, and bought their double album "back in the day."  I thought Mary was the prettiest of the original three.

• Love 4

I received my second dose of Covid vaccine today.  So far, so good.  Mr. X is still waiting for an appointment for the first dose.

Just a few more days until we have fresh snark.  I'm looking forward to it, next Monday.  I'll have to DVR the episode(s) as they're on past my bedtime.

• Love 11

I had an appointment with my doctor today.  I was afraid I had put on at least 5-10 pounds.  I was so shocked to see I had lost 3 pounds, since the last time I was in, at the end of 2019.  So that was a plus.  There was a young lady taking temps at the door.  Masks required (I wore two, and a face shield.)  My doctor knows I'm a hypochondriac, so no surprise.

Now I'm wondering:  why is it hypOchondriac, when hypERchondriac, makes more sense?  

We're still waiting for Mr. X's vaccinations.  The terrible weather has slowed deliveries down.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Now I'm wondering:  why is it hypOchondriac, when hypERchondriac, makes more sense?  

It's a bit convoluted but hypochondria meant the organs behind the ribs. It was thought that these organs were the source of vapors causing "morbid melancholy" which ultimately morphed to a "groundless fear for one's health".  

There, your medical terminology lession for the day (I used to teach that).

• Useful 9
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

It's a bit convoluted but hypochondria meant the organs behind the ribs. It was thought that these organs were the source of vapors causing "morbid melancholy" which ultimately morphed to a "groundless fear for one's health".  

Thank you, Cetacean.  I'm glad I asked; I knew there had to be a reason!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

My terminology instructor ended each class with something to send us on our way laughing. One time the category was "Things you never say on the phone in a medical setting." Heh.

My favorite, when answering a ringing phone, was "Urology. Can you hold?"

That one still cracks me up.

• LOL 14

I started working on my taxes today and got a lot done! I am very proud of myself and just wanted to share. It's harder than usual because I am not at home, so I don't have hard copies of any documents. (I escaped for a bit thanks to friends who have an empty summer house where I am blissfully alone and have my own WASHING MACHINE and DRYER for the duration!). Oh and I don't have to move my car twice a week, and I can use it to PICK UP GROCERIES (curbside pickup). The local supermarket got rid of Instacart recently so no more hidden fees and extra charges. Instead, I use the store app to arrange pickups through their employees. So I get all the discounts and give them a nice tip. Plus there is none of the back and forth that Instacart has, where they constantly text you about substitutions that you have to approve. I'm in heaven basically.

For those that may be unfamiliar, I live in NYC, so being in a nice place with vastly fewer people (like being on a desert island, almost) is heaven! I know the neighbors - nice young guys, good in case of emergency - but they generally respect my strict social distancing. Almost no one wears masks here, except when going inside a store (they pull it off as soon as they exit.) Me? I wear a double mask everywhere. No matter how deserted things may seem, people have a way of creeping up on me unexpectedly (someone jogs by or exits their house or car, etc). The kind shoppers like to get closer than I am comfortable with when they bring my groceries out -- they feel the need to hand me the printed receipt when I get out to tip them. Oh well. 

I wish I could stay here longer, or at least until 2 weeks after I'm fully vaccinated, but I'm appreciating the time I have. As for vaccines, I am now eligible in NYC because asthma is now on the list for people under 65. However, there are virtually no spots for people under 65, because we're limited to the city health dept locations (some of which are for certain zip codes only) and so far we cannot sign up for the pharmacies. My choices seem to be: a couple really scary neighborhoods that I'm afraid to go to, OR, between 3-5 AM in a neighborhood that is okay. Being me, I am of course also worried about getting exposed to the virus while waiting in line for the shot. The bottleneck from last week does seem to be easing, however, and I think things are only going to improve from here.  I will, of course, have to drive home to get the vaccine, as I am not eligible where I'm staying (different state).

I sincerely hope that anyone reading this also has access to a vaccine, or will soon.

PS I also don't have to go up and down 3 flights of stairs to take out the garbage or fetch packages, and there are NO MICE in my little temporary house and no one is doing construction nearby.

Edited by Teafortwo
added PS
  • Love 10

I watch the vaccine rollout numbers in the US at the WaPo site and two others. The total rises by three million every day.

This is an amazing accomplishment. 

Edited by suomi
spacing, gah!
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, suomi said:

I watch the vaccine rollout numbers in the US at the WaPo site and two others. The total rises by three million every day.

This is an amazing accomplishment. 

It is great.  Mr. X finally got his first dose today.  It's a relief that so many more people are getting vaccinated.  I'm looking forward to Spring and nice weather.  

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

It's a relief that so many more people are getting vaccinated.

It is heartening to me so many people get SO excited when they show up at our mass vax clinics.  So many of them have been waiting since the vaccines first came out and are thrilled and cheerful when they come in.  While we are mostly seeing the elderly we do have some essential workers as well and they are equally grateful.  I am cautiously optimistic because this is a big "Covid is a hoax" area for reasons that cannot be discussed.  The more we can get people on board the better.  And we've also had word that some of the chain drugstores are getting vaccines in although we only have one within 50 miles.  Still, it's another option and I was able to get word out when they started doing appointments

Of course, the tough part is that most of our elderly folks have no computer skills and Rite Aid can only be scheduled online.  Our Commission for Aging is helping out with that;  I would love to drum up more support for that and maybe get churches involved.  But with the clinics a couple of days a week (doing 500-900 people) it kind of takes up a lot of time for a supposedly retired nurse!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Finally! Gotta love it when kids discover things and have no idea how they work: their fingers, their toes, boy bands.

"Oh, they got dance moves too. All the members can sing! Usually there's a weak spot." Um...

But he got goosebumps so it's all good, LOL.

Edited by suomi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/25/2021 at 1:37 AM, Teafortwo said:

At this point, I think I should change my screenname to TeaforOne.

I keep thinking of @Yeah No because I think you are getting close to your closing date! Fingers still crossed for ya.

LOL, thanks for thinking of me, I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying some time in the country.  I have often thought of your situation in your building and wished that you could get away from there for a while. 

Whenever my New York friends used to stay over at my house they could never get over how quiet it is.  I really do love living around so much nature.  We saw two does in the backyard snow this afternoon.  And our neighbor came over and left freshly laid eggs on our doorstep this morning.  I never ever thought I'd live next door to chickens, but here we are.

As for the apartment, all was silent this week.  Last week I was contacted by the lawyer who told me that the buyers were approved by the board, so all that's left now is for the banks to decide on a closing date and method, which could mean in person or virtual.  I normally might have nudged the lawyer again this week to find out if he had any idea of when it might be, but I've had other things on my mind.  I'm giving the lawyer power of attorney to represent me if it's in person so I don't have to be there.  I am trying to remain positive that things will keep moving along according to plan and that Covid doesn't become an excuse for any delays on the bank's end.

In other big news, I was able to book vaccine appointments for me and hubbie at a Walmart about 8 miles from here.  Walmart's site is the only one that doesn't bump you out if you aren't yet eligible on the date of booking based on your birthdate.  My husband turns 65 on March 5th but no one would let me book him either on the phone or on a website because when I entered his age they would tell me he's not eligible.  Despite the fact that I was trying to book a date after his birthday, they told me it wouldn't be possible through their organization unless he was already 65.  Fortunately Walmart's site didn't bump me out.  I entered his birthday and all it said was to make sure you were eligible based on the guidelines in your particular state and to bring an ID with you to verify your eligibility at the time of vaccination.  So I also booked myself since our governor has now opened up vaccine scheduling to people over the age of 55 starting on March 1st.  Wish us luck that everything goes smoothly and some pissy pharmacy employee doesn't split hairs over not being eligible when we scheduled.  I told my 58 year old lawyer friend what we did and the next day he also had booked himself there, LOL, so if Mr. "Head of the Ethics Committee" in his town did it, I really hope they're not going to get petty on us since we will be eligible per state eligibility guidelines on the date of our appointments.

I saved the best for last.  I'm sure that several of you remember me talking about my husband's mega-rich client/passenger, the one that helped him finance his last two limousines.  You might also remember that he has been talking about helping us out for a long time now but my husband has been too modest to take the bait and ask him outright for anything.  Well, our prayers have been answered and a couple of days ago he hired my husband as his personal driver.  It will be a salaried position with 401K and full family medical benefits.  Despite the fact that it's a part time job at most, the salary is very generous.  It's more than my husband has ever made in his life.  Understandably, the two of us have been in a state of shock over this. 

This man is so very unlike a lot of rich people.  He came to this country from North Korea as a baby when his parents were fleeing the country.  He didn't come from money, so he knows what it's like to struggle and has not let his incredible wealth blind him to what it's like for the rest of us.  My husband has been driving him for about 8 years now and the two of them have developed a friendly rapport in that time.  People tend to love my husband.  He's a great guy, and very smart what can I say?  I am also sure that over time this client got the picture that neither of us ever got an even break in a lot of ways.  My husband didn't even know he was dyslexic until a few years ago.  And of course my work history is enough to reduce anyone to tears.  That and what happened to us financially during the recession 10 years ago and since the pandemic (and losing my Dad) was probably enough to motivate him to do something truly amazing for us.  I have often heard about amazing acts of selflessness and kindness on the news.  Of course, I was never on the receiving end of anything like that.  In fact, mostly just the opposite. 

So anyway I am sure you can all appreciate how this has made me truly grateful and convinced that there are guardian angels up in heaven working overtime for us.   I am reduced to tears, it moves me so much.  We were literally teetering on the precipice financially with almost no income for an entire year except for unemployment and stimulus payments.  Now my father's apartment has sold and this.....And hopefully the vaccine in a few days.  I am almost worried that I might wake up and find out that this was all a dream and the reality is more like it was 8 months ago.  Plus it's hard to rejoice in this when so many people are suffering and have needlessly died.  I have a touch of "survivor's guilt" over it.  Maybe in time the knot in my stomach will go away and I'll be able to fully appreciate it.  I have barely been a couple of miles from my house for the past year aside from trips to the apartment.  Mega rich client wants us to go have a real vacation.  Maybe we'll go to Florida this summer if all goes to plan since mega rich client number 2 offered to let us stay at his palatial estate in Bradenton when he and his girlfriend aren't there.  Just the two of us alone there would feel like a dream come true.  And maybe if things improve re: Covid we can go to Italy in 2022.  I want to see the town in Sicily where that side of my family is from.  I am almost afraid to hope that this will ever happen, but the fact that I'm even thinking about it again is a step in the right direction. 

Here's hoping for better days ahead for everyone.  I think that this entire experience has made me so much more grateful for the little things in life.  I think I will kiss the ground and break down in tears when I can see my best friends in person again and share a meal at our favorite Italian restaurant.  I wish all of you could go with us.  I hope you all get to do similar things that you haven't done in a year too.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Wish us luck that everything goes smoothly and some pissy pharmacy employee doesn't split hairs over not being eligible when we scheduled.

I can't speak for them but, in my experience in our mass vax clinics, we don't have the time or inclination to argue.  We're just thrilled to have as many people as possible jabbed in as short a time as possible.  So fingers crossed that they just poke and send you on your merry way.

Many congrats on the good luck.  LIfe is short, take it and don't have any regrets!

• Love 4

One does not need a smart TV to stream.  There are devices that handle the problem like a Fire Stick or a Roku.  I have both using a different one for each TV.  My kids gave me the Fire Stick maybe three years ago and I bought the Roku when I kicked cable.  They are super easy to install and use.  I shaved over $100 off my cable bill by switching to Youtube TV even with the added Acorn and Britbox.  The cable company still has my house phone and internet.  Youtube TV has PBS which was its selling feature to me.  I won't say cutting the cable is for everyone and it took me a year or more to make the break.  What finally did it for me was the third cable box dying in about a three year timeframe.  I was going to have to go to the cable store in a pandemic anyway so I made it brief giving them both boxes.   I haven't regretted it although I admit it took me a couple of weeks to adjust.  I enjoy the unlimited DVR space, starting a show in one room and picking up at the exact spot in another room and when I travel (as I must regularly for medical treatment) I can watch on a laptop or tablet and all my shows are right there.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I can't speak for them but, in my experience in our mass vax clinics, we don't have the time or inclination to argue.  We're just thrilled to have as many people as possible jabbed in as short a time as possible.  So fingers crossed that they just poke and send you on your merry way.

Many congrats on the good luck.  LIfe is short, take it and don't have any regrets!

Thank you, I appreciate that very much.  I hope you're right about the vaccine, it makes me feel a little better to hear that.  Now of course I'm worried about what side effects I'll get, and of course anaphylaxis, which I've had to Ibuprofen over 30 years ago.  I thought I was over worrying about that.  I know I shouldn't but I do.  The chances are slim to none of that happening.  It's irrational.  If I had an appointment for a flu shot I wouldn't be worried because I've had many flu shots and the worst thing that ever happened was feeling tired and achy for the next few days.  The Covid vaccine is an unknown for pretty much everyone so of course I worry.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Now of course I'm worried about what side effects I'll get, and of course anaphylaxis, which I've had to Ibuprofen over 30 years ago.

Well, for what it's worth we've put 6,875 people through our clinics so far without a single incident.  We have paramedics standing by in the post-vax area and they are bored to tears. 

And there are no components in the vaccine that are in any way related to ibuprofen so there are no issues with that either.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

Yeah No won't be taking ibupophen, but for others, some medical facilities are saying don't take ibuprophen or aspirin to ward off injection-arm pain because it may reduce your ability to fully & quickly build up immunity. Moving your arm & using its muscles help to reduce pain & swelling at the injection site.

Congrats, Yeah No on hubby's job. Whipping out his ID showing he just had his birthday when he goes to get vaccinated should confirm his eligibility. Has the condo closed yet?

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Don't worry about how old you were when you made the appointment.  You fill out a paper when you get your shot, and it asks for your age THAT DAY.  Just put down how old you are on that day, and it is a done deal.  No one cares how old you were when you made the appointment.

• Love 5

@Yeah No So glad to read your good news! That's absolutely fantastic about your husband's job. I'm sure it is worth it to the client to have a personal driver whom he can trust and with whom he has good rapport and a long relationship. Such a great thing that he appreciates your husband enough to give him benefits and a decent wage. I had always hoped for you that something good would happen to relieve the worry and stress you've been through.

I am excited to report that yesterday morning when more vaccine spots were opened in NYC for people like me (under 65 but with underlying conditions), I was able to snag an appointment for this coming Friday evening. (Five minutes after the spots opened up, all the morning and afternoon spots were gone.) I have a note from my asthma doctor just in case, and will be bringing my inhaler, rescue inhaler and even my epi-pen (which I was required to bring to all my allergy shot appointments but never needed). However, this is just a precaution; I do not fear or expect anything to go wrong.  My only worry is finding parking near the vaccine site and walking back and forth to my car in a not-great area after dark. But I'm more nervous about riding in an Uber, taxi, subway or bus than I am about finding parking so there it is. I feel so fortunate to be able to get the vaccine this early. When it was first introduced, I was far, far down on the list and it looked like I'd have to wait til mid-summer to get it. 

• Love 3
On 2/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, suomi said:

Finally! Gotta love it when kids discover things and have no idea how they work: their fingers, their toes, boy bands.

"Oh, they got dance moves too. All the members can sing! Usually there's a weak spot." Um...

But he got goosebumps so it's all good, LOL.

Ahhh!!  I LOVE Jayvee TV!  He has definitely been one of my happy places during the pandemic.  And he has SO many reaction videos to songs that I absolutely love.  I saved the BSB video so I can watch it over and over.  Another reaction video that I have watched over again is Jamal AKA Jamel reacting to The Carpenters' "Superstar."  And watching both of them react to ANYTHING by E.L.O. is fantastic.  Jamal just kind of fell into my YouTube feed one dark, dreary day in 2020.  I didn't even know there was such a thing as reaction videos.  Then I fell down the rabbit hole big time, lol.

(P.S. You can catch Jayvee reacting to New Kids on the Block - my fave boybanders - on his Vimeo channel. :))

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 2/28/2021 at 7:52 AM, Cetacean said:

Well, for what it's worth we've put 6,875 people through our clinics so far without a single incident.  We have paramedics standing by in the post-vax area and they are bored to tears. 

And there are no components in the vaccine that are in any way related to ibuprofen so there are no issues with that either.

Thank you and thank you for all you are doing to help the rollout of the vaccine!

You all were right, no one cared about when we booked the appointment.  We had zero issues.  We walked up to the pharmacy at the Walmart, waited on a short line, were asked some questions, filled out and signed a short form, and were given a follow-up appointment in 30 days (we got the Moderna vaccine).  Then we waited a few minutes near the immunizations room.  I went first.  I was greeted by a nice man wearing full PPE who engaged in some reassuring conversation, then was taken into the room and given the shot.  Boom, all that anticipation and it was over in a flash.  Same for Hubbie.  We didn't wait the 15 minutes in the waiting area because we wanted to get some shopping in at the Walmart and we figured that if either of us had a problem we were still near the pharmacy anyway.  There were no issues and I found some food I was looking for but couldn't find at the smaller Walmart near me (yay at Walmart savings).  

So far other than mild soreness in the upper arm (only when I touch it or move it around a lot) and some fatigue, mild back soreness and the sense that "something's going on inside me" I haven't had any side effects.  Same for Hubbie except he took a brief nap afterward.  I've felt worse after flu shots.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, deirdra said:

Congrats, Yeah No on hubby's job. Whipping out his ID showing he just had his birthday when he goes to get vaccinated should confirm his eligibility. Has the condo closed yet?

Thanks!  No word on the closing yet.  I just heard last Friday that the couple was approved by the co-op board so all that's left is the Banks giving us the closing date.  If I don't hear anything by later this week I'm going to contact the lawyer.

23 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

@Yeah No So glad to read your good news! That's absolutely fantastic about your husband's job. I'm sure it is worth it to the client to have a personal driver whom he can trust and with whom he has good rapport and a long relationship. Such a great thing that he appreciates your husband enough to give him benefits and a decent wage. I had always hoped for you that something good would happen to relieve the worry and stress you've been through.

I am excited to report that yesterday morning when more vaccine spots were opened in NYC for people like me (under 65 but with underlying conditions), I was able to snag an appointment for this coming Friday evening. (Five minutes after the spots opened up, all the morning and afternoon spots were gone.) I have a note from my asthma doctor just in case, and will be bringing my inhaler, rescue inhaler and even my epi-pen (which I was required to bring to all my allergy shot appointments but never needed). However, this is just a precaution; I do not fear or expect anything to go wrong.  My only worry is finding parking near the vaccine site and walking back and forth to my car in a not-great area after dark. But I'm more nervous about riding in an Uber, taxi, subway or bus than I am about finding parking so there it is. I feel so fortunate to be able to get the vaccine this early. When it was first introduced, I was far, far down on the list and it looked like I'd have to wait til mid-summer to get it. 

Thanks, it's actually better than a decent wage for what he will be doing, which is just phenomenal.  When my husband heard the number he reacted that it seemed like "a lot of money" for what he would be doing, but Mr. Moneybags told him it wasn't about the hours or the amount of work.  Of course I was hearing all of this on speakerphone and poking him in the ribs by that time.  At a time like that my mother would have told him not to look a gift horse in the mouth, LOL.  You just don't hear the salary for your new job and hint around that it seems like "too much", LOL.  My husband is so modest....And this man is a saint.  He even said that this was "a starting salary" and that he might consider raising it in the future.  Again I poked hubbie in the ribs and shusshed him lest he protest that, LOL.

Glad to hear you got a vaccine appointment.  I'd probably drive too if I were you.  I understand the bit about having to park in a crappy neighborhood in NY.....Had to do that myself 11 years ago when my Dad had his heart surgery.  I often did it alone, too, when friends or my husband weren't available.  And that was before the pandemic.  Now because of Covid I'd be even more nervous about riding on public transportation or rideshare.  Actually back then I did try taking a taxi a couple of times (I was staying over at Dad's apartment) but it was such a nerve wracking experience between the too fast/erratic driving and filthy cabs that I stopped on that basis alone (yes, I've always been a bit of a germaphobe).  Driving and parking was actually a better alternative.  I'm sure the cabs are much cleaner since the pandemic but there's still that erratic driving!

My friend on Long Island finally got an appointment for tomorrow at a local CVS.  She couldn't get an appointment for weeks.  She said that Long Island has been hard to book plus quite a few locations in NYC were not booking appointments for anyone from outside the 5 boroughs.

Best of luck with your vaccine appointment and keep us posted!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5
On 3/2/2021 at 1:54 AM, iwantcookies said:

I am officially too afraid to take the subway. I am scared of getting assaulted or killed. Sigh. 

Do you live in NYC? I do, and am also scared of it now. I never was, before (except late at night).

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Do you live in NYC? I do, and am also scared of it now. I never was, before (except late at night).

My best friend, who used to be fearless and take the subway at all hours in high crime neighborhoods in the "bad old days" of the 1980s is scared of it now.  I never thought that would happen.

BTW, she has her vaccine scheduled for today (Thursday) at the 168th Street Armory in Manhattan through Columbia Presbyterian.  I'm not sure how she is going to get there, though, since she texted me this yesterday and I didn't ask her.  She doesn't drive.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

This website has the Powecom KN95 FDA Authorized face masks, at a lower price than Amazon and with free shipping. For a higher price, they also have NIOSH approved N95 masks. (I may actually have learned about this website upthread, but since I don't exactly remember, I thought I'd post it.) The URL is: https://bonafidemasks.com/

I plan to continue using the KN95 under a cloth mask, but I may purchase some of the N95s for times I cannot avoid entering a crowded store or when I go for a medical test. As a city dweller I take extra precautions, including wearing a face shield (over the double masks) in the unventilated hallways of my apartment building due to neighbors who are not mask-compliant and who are also doing indoor dining now and other indoor activities with groups. I'm gonna continue this until we know more about vaccine effectiveness against the new variants, particularly the NY and Brazil variants.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, iwantcookies said:
21 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Yep I’m in NYC 

I hope you don't have to take the subway for work. I haven't been on it since Feb. 28, 2020. I know the exact date because we had a fancy lunch with my company's CEO that day - a month before we all got laid off. I was working from home in that job, thank goodness.

In other news, I asked on Nextdoor about parking near the site where I'm getting vaccinated tomorrow evening, and got an immediate response from someone who was there last night. Now I know where to look for a spot.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 4

So many of my neighbors just party at home. And most don’t wear a mask inside the building either. As far as I can tell no one died in my building period since COVID started.

It seems Someone gets stabbed daily on the train lately 

2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

This website has the Powecom KN95 FDA Authorized face masks, at a lower price than Amazon and with free shipping. For a higher price, they also have NIOSH approved N95 masks. (I may actually have learned about this website upthread, but since I don't exactly remember, I thought I'd post it.) The URL is: https://bonafidemasks.com/

I plan to continue using the KN95 under a cloth mask, but I may purchase some of the N95s for times I cannot avoid entering a crowded store or when I go for a medical test. As a city dweller I take extra precautions, including wearing a face shield (over the double masks) in the unventilated hallways of my apartment building due to neighbors who are not mask-compliant and who are also doing indoor dining now and other indoor activities with groups. I'm gonna continue this until we know more about vaccine effectiveness against the new variants, particularly the NY and Brazil variants.

I wear the Powecom KN95s myself with a disposable blue surgical mask over it.  I've been getting them on eBay from a reputable seller for close to that price.  The KN95's come with a number of authenticity on the pouch they come in that you can check on the Powecom site.  The only problem is that because of the crisis going on at the Post Office these days both sellers are recommending using UPS shipping (which would cost me $14.00) instead of first class mail, which is free.  Ouch.  Fortunately I stocked up on them before this situation started.

I'm a small time eBay seller (mostly my used clothing) and in the past month I've had nothing but issues with the USPS.  I only sold 9 things in February - One of them got lost after being scanned at a distribution center in Jersey City, NJ (I have a missing mail case open on it), and one never made it out of my local post office - I had to track it down by opening a search, was told it was still at my local post office which when I called them told me they didn't have it.  The next day it miraculously appeared again in the tracking leaving my local post office.  It finally got delivered yesterday - It was purchased Feb. 11th.  A third item took 14 days to reach its destination, then the buyer decided to return it.  It's still on its way back here after 8 days - It's now in Springfield, MA at a distribution center.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it makes it.  If too much time goes by even if it's the post office's fault I am required by eBay to refund the buyers if they don't get the item or if they return it to me and I never get it.  I have since gone in and changed all of my listings to UPS and lowered my prices to make up for the increased shipping cost.  Until things at the USPS get straightened out, this is the way it's going to have to be because I'm not going to go through this with everything I sell.  If anyone's wondering what's going on at the USPS, google it because it's one of those topics that involves stuff we can't talk about here.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

It seems Someone gets stabbed daily on the train lately 

Violent and gun crime have shot up since the pandemic in NYC.  It's really shocking.  So sorry you have to live with that. 

• Love 3