Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Here's Not Here

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Why? Why why why dear God? This has to be the most disappointing follow-up to an episode since "How long would it take you to train an army?"/Fire + Water.

Good to know you only need a few months training by a non-Akido expert to become a badass asskicker. Or something. I dunno. I never cared much for Morgan or saw what all of the fuss about him was, and this episode did nothing to change my mind. And I get he has his fans, but I wonder if this was the wrong time in the season for an episode like this, especially with what happened last week.

Honestly, they could have cut out half of what we saw and had a normal episode but Morgan flashbacks to the important stuff.

I will say this, it was a nice reversal of the "Magical Negro" trope.

Isn't that the "White Savior" trope?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 9

I opted not to watch this tonight, because my teenage son had a friend die this weekend, and nobody was up for a death and destruction tv show.  Nothing I've read makes me care about missing it.  Guess I'll pick up next week.  I did want to say that Sarah Wayne Callies stayed in the opening credits sequence through season 3, so it appears they're just playing more games with the audience this week.  Annoying.  They need to tell the story instead of letting the hype/talk get bigger than the show.

• Love 10

I liked it even more watching it a second time.  Lennie and John Carroll Lynch were incredible.  Acting on TWD can be very hit and miss (more miss than hit to be honest) so when I get a chance to watch two great actors do their thing, I'm very happy.

Morgan is obviously still very disturbed as was Eastman.  It was like they were the two men who founded AA.  They both were still alcoholics but as long as they hung on to their philosophy, they would be okay.  Of course, it works better when you're in a cabin in the middle of the woods.

But I'm still not ready to completely toss out 'all life is precious'.  I don't think Carol is any more sane or 'right' than Morgan is.  She murdered two sick people while they lay in their beds.  I'm not sure that things would be so great if someone like Carol was running things, especially during flu season.

• Love 12

Not a Lennie fan, so I wasn't excited to spend 90 minutes watching him. I do like Lynch but this ep was too predictable.

Crazy Morgan was crazy - dude, stop yelling "Kill me!!" You really want to die? Take that rifle of yours and put a bullet in your head. Problem solved.

I kept wondering why he didn't commit suicide. Did the writers ignore that obvious question or are we supposed to know why Morgan can't kill himself?

I really wanted to like that.  Actually, it's more like I think that I should, intellectually, because it seemed designed to be an elevated form of the show (Emmy-bait, is what I kept thinking) with the simplicity of plot and heavy emphasis on Themes.  But like a lot on here, it totally missed the mark in terms of entertainment, which is what I'm ultimately looking for from my pop culture, so...whatever.  

I also feel like it's really...arrogant, and I think that's off-putting.  I mean, there's a brilliance to it, in that it draws out the cliffhangers we all want answers to.  There's also a lot of...chutzpah, thinking that your audience would be with you through a 90-minute diversion into the backstory of a minor character.  

Michonne has her katana, Morgan has Aikido.  There's something interesting/weird about that, I can't quite articulate it.

I'm totally loving the 1-minute zombies on a plane thing they have during one of the commercials.

I can do without another dead animal, though I'll admit it was the source of most of my suspense during the episode.  I knew the man in the cabin was going to die at some point.  I was hoping the goat might survive somehow.

• Love 6

I kept wondering why he didn't commit suicide.

Hasn't that almost become a common TV trope? The character who says he/she wants to die, but can't do it, so is always asking someone else to kill them?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

It was well acted and the episode had a very Terrence Malik "The New World" vibe.  It was beautiful but I just didn't care how he became who he was. I care what will happen with him now.

Also, I see they stole the 'Then and Now' straight from SPN. As an SPN fan I'm flattered and annoyed. LOL

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

While it was very well acted (although I do sometimes find Lennie’s emoting a bit much), this really didn’t need 90 minutes, especially on the day that daylight savings time ended.  John Carroll Lynch was excellent as always.  Unfortunately he is a one and done as is Tabitha.  Having just watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, all I could think was that’s a beautiful goat and it’s Georgia.  I would have rather had us learn Morgan’s backstory throughout the season rather than devoting a full, extended episode to it.

Schrodinger’s Glenn continues in his dead/undead/alive state for yet another week.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 10

This episode probably would have been okay if it wasn't 90 minutes long and placed in the season where it was.  I was just so bored and annoyed with it because of that.

Why Morgan, did you leave that Wolf in the House?

Locking no doors.

Because he is an asshole

And stupid

and irresponsible.

• Love 5

Pretty much what I expected.  Great acting from Lennie James and John Carroll Lynch (always great to see him!) and beautifully shot, but there really wasn't any surprises, kind of slow, and mainly just felt like an episode devoted to making hardcore Morgan fans happy and/or try make some dent at the Emmys (which, sorry.  I don't see this show ever making outside the technical categories.)

But, to sum it all up: basically, Morgan was flat-out psychotic and killing everything that moved, after his final meeting with Rick and Michonne.  But he then meets this Eastman guy, who teaches him the art of peace, and basically be zen and shit.  Only for Eastman to get bit by a walker of one of Morgan's former victims (added bonus of Morgan freezing and causing Eastman to put himself in harms way.)  And, judging from the final scene, Morgan is now attempting to do the same thing with one of the Wolves, which I'm sure is totally going to work!  Yep, no way is he going to totally escape!  Or turn into a walker and break-out!  Dammit, Morgan!

Oh, and Eastman had an awesome goat name Tabitha too.  Of course, she died.  Animals do not fare well on this show.

Still, once again, the acting was pretty damn great.  So, I've suffer through worse (Fear the Walking Dead.)

Since next week's episode look like it is focusing on Jesse/Maggie/Aaron, I totally think we still won't check in on Glenn's fate.  If this theory holds, I totally think the show is going to be evil, and drag out what actually happened until mid-season finale or something.

• Love 5

I can do without another dead animal, though I'll admit it was the source of most of my suspense during the episode. I knew the man in the cabin was going to die at some point. I was hoping the goat might survive somehow.

The only thing I was concerned about the whole episode was Tabitha's fate! Poor little goat, she was so cute.

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 4

I don't want people to think that I didn't like the episode because I thought the acting & emoting was bad, because it wasn't.  And yes, it was mostly better than Slabtown and most assuredly better than 90% of the 1st season of FTWD.  I just think the episode's placement was a horrible choice by the showrunners.  All the momentum built up by the first 3 episodes came to a worse-than screeching halt.

I know that isn't the first time TWD has done 'bottle eps' such as this at this point in in past seasons, and yes, this episode was necessary if going to make Morgan a big part of this season/show, but not at a place that the expense it caused of impeding much more interesting storylines and 'cliffhangers' that are currently in play.

Slabtown at least was a little smoother transition - the main group having just come off the 'resolution' of all the Terminus/Gareth stuff, before moving on to, well, moving on again.

• Love 2

That was so so tedious. I kept checking how long there was to go, this was the most boring, pointless 64 mins (get so frustrated when the show says 90 mins!) in the whole series for me. I don't care how Morgan has arrived at being all 'zen-I'm-going-to-get-everyone-killed-so-I-can-show-that-I-haven't-lost-my-humanity. He's an idiot and a total liability, how many others are going to die for his bull-dust philosophy? When he murdered that father and son for no discernible reason I yelled at the TV 'and you're judging RICK?!!!' Ugh, what a jerk. Also, I might be wrong but I'm sure Eastman said something like 'I don't kill anything anymore'. I know he kept saying 'I don't kill living things' but I thought he left 'living' out once or twice which means he shouldn't be killing walkers then either.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 4

John Carroll Lynch and Lennie James crushed it, but the severely PTSD-afflicted Morgan running across probably the only Zen, skilled-in-aikido forensic psychiatrist left in the world made me roll my eyes harder than any other time with this show. And that's saying something.

I will say this, it was a nice reversal of the "Magical Negro" trope.

When Morgan was running through the field later on in the episode, I laughed because it reminded me of every romantic comedy in which someone races to an airport, to tell someone they love them.

I love John Carroll Lynch! That was so unexpected. They were both great together, and I liked the episode a lot. It would have been nice at a totally different time, though - like around Thanksgiving.

I wondered if Morgan was going to let that Wolf starve to death. 

I was glad they finally addressed PTSD. 

The looking at ID's reminded me of LOST. When Claire led the mass funeral/burial.

Poor Tabitha. :(

The episode would have been shorter without all of those adverts. The only thing that bugged me, was having to pick up the remote *yet again* to fast forward through them. I think they removed Steven's name just to mess with people, and include JCL in the opening credits.

I probably shouldn't even be posting, because I didn't even see the first half hour. My stupid DVR...I don't even know what happened. We always wait a bit to start, so we can FF commercials. It was like the damn thing had a scratch. After the first sixty seconds it just froze! Sorry, I know no one cares, but I was PISSED.

Mine does that at times, as well, mainly depending on where it is in the living room. It's annoying when the prices keep going up, and you record a twisted mess that freezes the DVR up! And of course, when you're looking forward to something, and it misses half the episode (or chooses not to record it at all). 

• Love 2

Here’s not here
There’s no there there
Shit everywhere

- A haiku by Bec inspired by a haiku by FierceCritter

Noooo! Not the goat! That might have been the last possible source of cheese! *weeps*

We were promised cheese!

Dude can’t really be called a cheesemaker if he was still in the learning stages of cheesemaking.

Besides the Killer Clown on American Horror Story, John Carroll Lynch was also a killer minion to the main villain on Carnivale. This is the only thing I’ve seen him in where he plays a “nice” person. Maybe it’s residual feelings from watching those other shows, but he still gives me the creeps.

Normally I’m pro “no killing people”, because an awful lot of the people who are all about “protecting themselves and their family” also seems to have gone down the slippery slope to being way too quick to kill anyone they don’t consider to be “their kind”. And that’s why the world is going to shit in real life with the never-ending conflicts everywhere, my friends.

But the way Eastman explained how he came to believe “all life is precious” felt like such bullshit, even I’m not convinced. The way it tried to approximate Eastern philosophy just made me roll my eyes and slap my forehead.

As an actual Asian who grew up with actual Eastern philosophy, I can only say: “what in the hell is Glenn’s fate? Come on, get on with it already!”

• Love 13

Morgan got yet another person killed.

The episode was a little long but it kept my interest. It should have aired earlier. I can understand the frustration of the Glen fans. I found it hard to appreciate Lone Zen Guy and Noisy Goat. They would have been eaten by zombies or killed by cold hearts long before Morgan arrived. The "kill no one" approach is not reasonable unless it is penance for past sins and you are living alone. Morgan needs to die soon or change his tune. He is a big liability.

Edited by Sunnydayman
  • Love 2

I just realized something that pissed me off like crazy.

How come all we got from Tabitha was "bleats" when in all these commercials nowadays, when a goat 'screams', it sounds like a real human scream?  When she was approached by the hungry walkers, she should have been 'screaming' up a storm!

Where's my realism, Show!?

;)

• Love 2

Besides the Killer Clown on American Horror Story, John Carroll Lynch was also a killer minion to the main villain on Carnivale. This is the only thing I’ve seen him in where he plays a “nice” person. Maybe it’s residual feelings from watching those other shows, but he still gives me the creeps.

My first exposure to him was on The Drew Carey Show, where he played Drew's cross-dressing brother. He was a nice guy there :)

I figured Eastman would be killed since Morgan is no longer with him, but when I first saw the rabbit's foot, I have to admit I got a little sad. Speaking of that scene at the church, did he also set-down the bullet from the couple when he sat down the other stuff?

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 4

I know that isn't the first time TWD has done 'bottle eps' such as this

A bottle episode is one that's filmed entirely on a single set in order to save money, not an episode focused on one character. This episode had multiple sets and outdoor shoots, it definitely wasn't a bottle episode.

Edited by Nostariel

It was ambitious and I don't know if it succeeded.  Lennie and John were sensational, really sensational.

I'm not blaming Morgan for Eastman's death.  Eastman saw the walker and it's on him to stay out of the fucking way.

A bottle episode is one that's filmed entirely on a single set in order to save money, not an episode focused on one character. This episode had multiple sets and outdoor shoots, it definitely wasn't a bottle episode.

Forgive my misunderstanding of the terms used, but what I meant was an episode that was basically self-contained and had almost no bearing on the rest of (previously shown) season to date [aside from the very last few moments of the episode].

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 6

Was Gimple smoking some herb and hanging out at a hippie commune while writing this episode. Very peace and love and zen and peacenik episode.

See... we're just supposed to figure out that Morgan went back to NY and wrote the Coke commercial about liking to hear the world to sing...  

• Love 9

Forgive my misunderstanding of the terms used, but what I meant was an episode that was basically self-contained and had almost no bearing on the rest of (previously shown) season to date [aside from the very last few moments of the episode].

I understand, I'm just a pedantic nitpicker :). I also think you're right, the show has been interjecting those types of eps - often for minor characters of dubious popularity - the past few years and it breaks the narrative flow of the season every time. I'm conflicted about it because I often like the individual episodes themselves, but the placement in the season arc wrecks the pacing. It can also be exhausting to focus solely on one character for the entire ep, especially if it's someone you aren't fond of or are neutral on to begin with. I love Morgan, and I loved this ep, but the placement in the season ground the pacing to a halt and the lack of any of the regulars makes it a hard sell to non Morgan fans. I'm pretty sure this was a second unit ep, too, so it was likely filmed at the same time as one of the earlier eps - I would guess the season opener, given the length of both. It probably would have worked better as a one-off right before the season opener or later in the season, after Morgan has hopefully come to his senses.

• Love 2

Is the state of Georgia that liberal that they would put a confessed triple murderer (Creighton Dallas Winton) on Freeway Flower Duty? Seems to me that he'd be locked away on Death Row, especially since he committed the murders while an escapee. Of course, this was written by the same guy who wants us to believe that Morgan became a stick-fu master in a matter of days (maybe weeks? Certainly wasn't all that long.) 

I'm not a member of the "Lennie James walks on water" club, so this episode was extremely "meh" for me. I wasn't dying to know what Morgan had been up to all the while our main group was fleeing the prison, being held captive at Terminus, etc. And his tale, such as it was, certainly didn't require 90 minutes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I screwed up trying to comment specifically on Morgan writing the Coke song (that was hilarious) but I just need to tell you people that I'm grateful you are here for me every week like my friends at AA. Really. Seriously.

Edited by nsnolan55
  • Love 11

I've found there is a lot of debate over the term 'bottle episode' on TWD boards. TV Tropes gives the best definition that I've read:

• A "bottle episode" is designed to take up as little money as possible. The easiest way to go about this is to use only the regular cast (or even just part of the regular cast) and set it in a single location, especially if you have a main standing set. This keeps production costs down, because no one needs to scout locations, build new sets, or create fancy CGI graphics of the outside of the spaceship. Bottle episodes are often a chance for a slow, characterization-filled episode before/after a big special-effects-laden action episode. Of course, all this doesn't mean the episode will be cheap, just that it's meant to be; like any regular episode, unforeseen complications can cause the show to run over the scheduled budget.

• Note that the term has become synonymous with "single-location" episode, even though bottle episodes can (theoretically) have as many locations as a normal episode. All that matters is that it costs less, because the money is having to pass through a "bottleneck". The Star Trek cast and crew call this a "ship-in-a-bottle" episode, which is where the name originated.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BottleEpisode

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It can also be exhausting to focus solely on one character for the entire ep, especially if it's someone you aren't fond of or are neutral on to begin with.

100% agree with this - 'exhausting' is the perfect term! I much prefer episodes where we check in with everybody so I'm always disappointed when it's a self-contained/bottle one. If it's got Rick in it then I'm less disappointed :) but it's a really hard slog when you're not that fussed about the characters that have the storyline that week. 

• Love 3

I figured Eastman would be killed since Morgan is no longer with him, but when I first saw the rabbit's foot, I have to admit I got a little sad. Speaking of that scene at the church, did he also set-down the bullet from the couple when he sat down the other stuff?

Yes. And a Goo-Goo cluster.

• Love 5

Good pick up! It's nice when they do actually tie a couple of things together.

• Love 1

Greetings all, I once again come seeking refuge from the AMC forum where every other comment was " Where's Glenn? " or "This episode blows". Please don't exile me from the prison for being an outsider!

I enjoyed the episode. I'm a fan of John Carroll Lynch, and his portrayal of Eastman was really sensational in my opinion. I admit I shed more than a few tears when he passed the lucky rabbit's foot onto Morgan.

• Love 4
But I did have a problem with a psychiatrist working exclusively with prisoners and only diagnosing

one as a psychopath.

I agree.  They say one in every 100 people is a sociopath.  I work with 3 in a staff of 20 in my office.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 11

No reason this had to be 90 minutes.

I checked it out and if you include the previously on, opening and closing credits it comes to 64 minutes

So we basically got 1 hour of TWD.

I know a lot of people would have preferred to have last week's episode be 90 minutes. But I'd rather have

an episode like this broken up about a dozen times than one that is heavy on action and suspense.

I don't need several more minutes of Glenn as Schrodinger's cat

• Love 2

And Tabitha died and Morgan made more decisions that proved to be not super duper.

I love this summation.  Yup.

At the same time they can capitalize on the Glenn situation and build suspense. I hate being manipulated.

This is major shenanigans and it's just serving to piss me off.  A class move would have been to give us a glimpse of Glenn since they were in present time at the end. TPTB have never seemed like bigger jerks to me, because this isn't cute and it's not suspense.  I'm just annoyed.  

I did like that Tabitha and Eastman were both buried with name plates.

Awww... I missed Tabitha's nameplate.  

RE: the very end of the episode... was that Rick calling out for someone to open the gates?  I couldn't quite tell.

As another poster said, yes, according to my captioning.  Which was yet another thing that irked me last night.  I wouldn't mind guessing at it being Rick, but I don't like being told.  

I did find the real story interesting though. Watching the person that murdered your entire family starve to death is hard core and the psycho deserved it.

I was also pretty okay with that.  <shrug>

I didn't hate the episode in and of itself and was entertained enough to watch it without distraction.  As part of the momentum of the season, however... I can't roll my eyes enough.  (Speaking of eye rolling, "I guess (Tabitha) also figured out the door was open" or whatever.  Okay.  It was open.  But how did she TURN THE HANDLE to go outside? Did I miss something?  Non-standard doorknobs to the outside, perhaps?)  

And speaking of doors and locks... and I hope this isn't the equivalent of last weeks "DID RICK GET BITTEN?"... Morgan was messing around at the door in ASZ.  I thought he actually was locking it, and that there's still hope for him and he can expand his philosophy into "all life is precious... except when it's about to kill everyone else".  

• Love 5

My first exposure to him was on The Drew Carey Show, where he played Drew's cross-dressing brother. He was a nice guy there :)

He played Norm Gunderson in Fargo. He was Marge's husband who was hoping to get a stamp design approved by the USPS.  He got the 2 cent stamp.

I'm not entirely disappointed by this episode, because the 2 actors were really great in it.  It did not need to be 90 min, though, and it shouldn't have been the ep right after Glenn's "death".  

I may have not seen it correctly, but didn't Morgan lock the Wolf inside the house and then lock the gate outside?  Is he maybe planning to starve him to death a'la Eastman and his serial killer?

Edited by Blinkoshuman
  • Love 6

So, you're a murderer, aren't you, Morgan?  Two directly, one indirectly.  And you're keeping a wolf in the midst of a town of sheep.  SYMBOLISM!  Once again, for all the shit he's done, Rick still looks better in comparison.  He's killed to keep his group together and, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't committed cold blooded murder.  I mean, yeah, he went into a berserker rage last season, but he hasn't deliberately killed anyone.  Morgan, however and in a case of Unfortunate Implications, came at two different pairs of white people with a spear like a stereotypical savage.  I can't get killed fast enough.

Rick killed that guy who escaped from Sasha. The guy was cuffed and running away. Rick literally ran him down, got out of the car and killed him. If that wasn't cold blooded murder I'm not sure what is.

• Love 2
I didn't hate the episode in and of itself and was entertained enough to watch it without distraction.  As part of the momentum of the season, however... I can't roll my eyes enough.  (Speaking of eye rolling, "I guess (Tabitha) also figured out the door was open" or whatever.  Okay.  It was open.  But how did she TURN THE HANDLE to go outside? Did I miss something?  Non-standard doorknobs to the outside, perhaps?) 

- - - - - - - -

And speaking of doors and locks... and I hope this isn't the equivalent of last weeks "DID RICK GET BITTEN?"... Morgan was messing around at the door in ASZ.  I thought he actually was locking it, and that there's still hope for him and he can expand his philosophy into "all life is precious... except when it's about to kill everyone else".

Yes, that point of Tabitha getting out.  Um, how?  Even if she was able to push open the cell door - not that hard to believe - how did she open the cabin door?  Even if it was a non-knob handled door, it still required action taken to get the door to open that a goat simply couldn't do (or know how to do).

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if that is another 'did he/didn't he?' scenario, like at the end of JSS - "did he kill the Wolf, or just knock him out?".  Only this time, "did he lock the outside door, or decide to leave it open too?".  Either way, this is going to end very badly for both Morgan and whoever that Wolf - alive or undead - kills when he's found/gets loose.

• Love 1

I checked it out and if you include the previously on, opening and closing credits it comes to 64 minutes

So we basically got 1 hour of TWD.

This!!! I don't why I get so annoyed about it but it's a bugbear of mine when shows try to 'trick' us into thinking they are longer than they really are. The average TWD show is 42 mins and the extended shows are 64 mins - and as you said, that includes the credits. I keep telling Gimple/Hardwick/Nicotero off when they refer to the length of the episodes incorrectly.

Quit trying to make prequels happen, Walking Dead.

But just think if TPTB used this as a model for Fear The Walking Dead (after changing that dread name).  Watching these two guys roam the wilderness, spouting haikus and eating mushrooms, with a pet goat. It'd be like a Bill Bryson book (and movie, except without Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. Although, it would be kind of cool to see Nolte in the zombie apocalypse.)

Honestly, I was waiting for Morgan to find out that "Eastman" was actually Clayton Dallas Whoever. That's he'd die, Morgan would get his wallet (don't ask why he'd be carrying it) and the name would be the serial killer's. Alas no.

That's what I was thinking too when Eastman began telling the story of the psychopath prisoner.  I also agree with the poster who said we knew 5 minutes in that Eastman was going to die, so why bother getting invested in the character?

Like so many I enjoyed the actors but thought the storyline was drawn out.  They did not need A Very Special 90 minutes to show us how Morgan went from crazypants to pacifist.  I did like how the flashbacks ended with Morgan finding the Terminus sign as we saw long ago.

I assume it was a directing choice that we never saw the names of the walkers who were buried and neither Eastman or Morgan said the names on the IDs.  (Unless I missed it, I was messing around with the remote for a good part of the show.)  

How come all we got from Tabitha was "bleats" when in all these commercials nowadays, when a goat 'screams', it sounds like a real human scream?  When she was approached by the hungry walkers, she should have been 'screaming' up a storm!

That would have been great!  RIP Tabitha. 

I may have not seen it correctly, but didn't Morgan lock the Wolf inside the house and then lock the gate outside?  Is he maybe planning to starve him to death a'la Eastman and his serial killer?

It looked to me like Morgan locked the wolf in.  

The timeline at the end is a bit confusing.  If that was Rick yelling to open the gate, why is Morgan still there?  Last we saw in the 2nd episode Morgan was walking away from Alexandria long before Rick could return.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2