Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Crazy Train

paigow

How did they keep getting ahead of the train!?!?!

Forget it.  I'm convinced this show is written by a classroom full of 2nd graders.  Scorpion has always had a problem with logic, but tonight reached a new low.  Apparently, the LA transit system is approximately 300 miles long and runs in a circle.  NOTHING in this episode made any sense.  Nothing.  Zero.  Nada.

At this point, I think this show is laughing at us for even bothering to watch.

• Love 2

In Canada, Blindspot airs opposite Scorpion...I find Scorpion has too many self-absorbed geniuses that aggravate any nonsensical plot headaches. Conversely, Blindspot only has one genius and less whining, which makes its equally outlandish plots more forgiveable.

• Love 1

Sly laughed out loud at Happy's jokes! That made me laugh~~ I'm a little disappointed at Happy's "secret" reveal that has been teasing us for weeks, but that was funny.

For a moment, I thought I was still watching Supergirl when Happy ran towards the train, some serious badass action~~

I don't care if the plot is logical or not, Scorpion is just fun to watch. 

Although, the whole Ray's monologue was some bad writing, and the acting didn't help.

Ralphy boy is so grown up suddenly!

• Love 6

Sly laughed out loud at Happy's jokes! That made me laugh~~ I'm a little disappointed at Happy's "secret" reveal that has been teasing us for weeks, but that was funny.

For a moment, I thought I was still watching Supergirl when Happy ran towards the train, some serious badass action~~

I don't care if the plot is logical or not, Scorpion is just fun to watch. 

Although, the whole Ray's monologue was some bad writing, and the acting didn't help.

Ralphy boy is so grown up suddenly!

Yeah Happy was very awesome this episode. Even if shes not really "funny" she still faster than a speeding train.

I liked the mom giving Paige props she was actually pretty awesome this episode. I like how they have her being more take charge this season its nice growth and realistic for the character. Even if her and Walter were all over the place from bickering like an old married couple to almost making out.

I liked the return of Cabe and Doc's interrogation tag team this episode. I actually really like those two working together. They have very different styles but the communicate better than most of the other team members.

• Love 4

Paige slapping Walter after he saved her from dying and jumping on a train was eye rolling. She can die anytime, and let the team keep Ralph. I can't stand the romantic drama infused in these episodes now. Especially with Paige and Walter. 

Ralph was great on the train, loved that little friend now wanting to play with him after seeing how cool Ralph is.

Edited by Artsda

The "map" they were tracking the train on was just ridiculous. (Ok, actually, it reminds me of Chicago's bus tracker - the buses will teleport around the map at times.) Regardless of a reasonable subway length, the little dot was moving so fast along the map, the train should have terminated 5 seconds in based on that.

If you're going to have a train crash with no chance of survival, 1) make the crash look a little worse. That train essentially slid into home. And 2) if you expect that train to explode upon reaching the platform, maybe don't stand within 10 feet of the tracks watching. Hide behind a support pole or something, ffs.

Also, damn, Elyes Gabel's eyes are gorgeous. 

• Love 4

Every time I think this show can get even more crazier and most preposterous, we get episodes like this where Happy outruns a train and Walter freaking leaps on one going about 80 miles and hour, and doesn't go splat on the window.  At this point, they should just already reveal the twist that Team Scorpion felt into a batch of mysterious toxin, and actually all have super powers.

I do continue to get a kick out of Cabe and Toby, and vastly prefer relationship to any of the romances they are trying to shove down my throat (I still prefer Toby/Happy over Walt/Paige, but I'm even getting my wits in with that one.)

I still don't get the purpose of Ray.  I mean, I guess he's suppose to be someone who helps Walt open up and whatnot, but wasn't that pretty much both Paige's and Cabe's job last season?  Do we really need three of them?

Walt really isn't all-knowing, if he didn't see that slap coming a mile away.

• Love 3

Her character is better when she's away from him

This!

Paige came in as a potential gf of Walter in the first place. I still think she is not a necessary for the team at all, but I appreciate her more when she can actually stand on her own feet for a second.

I like Walter when he is in full genius action mode. Elyes can act well ,but Walter&Paige scenes are becoming harder and harder to swallow. It's like Paige has to teach him to feel anything, while Paige herself can't decide her own massy feelings. It's just awkward. 

If the writers can't handle a good slow burn love story, they should just let it go for a while, that's why I do like Quintis much more. Happy and Toby were always quite fun when they were just best friends. I won't mind they are put in friend zone for half a season.

Edited by moontrt
  • Love 1

Ralph was awesome. That other kid, Tyler, was going for pre-Eagle Scout. If he were in the Scouts, Ralph would have earned a whole bunch of merit badges. 

Meanwhile, Walter uses his Vulcan-like logic that keeps putting his team and himself in harms way to save others. Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few from Star Trek II. 

I did like the five stages of grief references with Toby regarding his status with Happy. 

• Love 2

Walter comes through again. And the show seems like it's getting close to Walter and Paige as couple which I think will be interesting to see. I don't no about Toby and Happy, Happy's not that lovable and she treats Toby like crap.

I liked Ray's character development, even though the story was sad.  The character development all around was great.

I also liked Ray walking in on gaslighting/torturing the bad guy and just sort of turning away, because that's how things go.

Explaining to Toby, the psychologist, with stages of grief was awesome.  Paige using logic on Walter, and Walter being upset about it, was also awesome.  (I like how they don't have Paige as stupid; in addition to understanding the real world, she has an above-average IQ.)

• Love 3

Explaining to Toby, the psychologist, with stages of grief was awesome.

Especially since those five stages are bullshit. Watching Walter leap onto a moving subway going 95 mph was hilarious. He should have tumbled off and died within about two seconds. And even if he somehow didn't and his arms didn't get pulled out of their sockets, he then adjusts his position so Paige can smash out the window. Brilliant.

This show gets stupider and stupider every episode and yet I still can't stop watching.

• Love 1

This show gets stupider and stupider every episode and yet I still can't stop watching

This is exactly how I feel. As I watch laughing at the absurdity of their antics I somehow enjoy it anyway. I can't explain how come the craziness doesn't bother me. I think it must be partially because this show is just fun fluff for me. I know the Scorpion team will always win the day, everyone will be fine & I'll laugh along the way.

I liked Ralph being so calm & capable on the train. I liked that Paige was too in that regard. Her interaction with Walter didn't add much to the show in my opinion. I'm neutral about them as a couple but I don't like their interactions feeling forced.

I really like Gabe & Toby working together. The fake burial of the bad guy was funny & I liked Ray's walk away as well. I also liked Sly's response to Happy's cringeworthy jokes. His uninhibited laughter was fun to see.

• Love 2

Yes the show is silly and implausible - besides the obvious Walter leaping on the train, the train going that fast but not running out of track until the plot said so there was Paige with her poking stick which hitting the switch at that speed should be ripped it out of her hands, breaking most of her bones while she flies to the back of the train car from the force.

But.................still don't care, still watching it.  Because it's fun, it's silly and I don't have to really think for a whole hour.  There are too many series on TV right now to go to for gritty realism and a few A-Team style, the good guys get out of every situation with duct tape and a paper clip shows in the mix is not such a bad thing.  As long as the cast is likable which so far they are.

Anyway - the best stuff - That slowed down shot of the subway car passing by Walter after they put the grease on the tracks, the looks, especially on Elyes face were perfect.  The five times I rewound after Walter said he was going to jump on the train to figure out Toby's reply, it was funny every single time (for the record it was a very, very fast spoken:  Suicidal Genius Says What).  Happy doing stand-up and Sylvester laughing, Cade teasing Toby about the stages of grief and the whole "we're going to bury you in the forest" fake out.  

Edited to Add:  Future plot device - now that Ray has confessed about his past he saves one or more of the Scorpion team from a fire as redemption for not saving his partner (not spoiled just thinking about how his backstory might fit into the season)

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 2

Hi everyone.  I watched this episode this morning and got such a laugh out of Walter jumping on to the train, that I just had to come in here and say that I love this ridiculous show. Nice to see that there are others who like it, too, in spite of the obvious flaws.  For me, it's because I like the cast and the characters (I'm on the fence about Ray, but I'm warming up to him a little bit) and think they all work well together.

• Love 1

I personally love how ridiculous and campy this show is. It's just FUN and I find that lacking in so many other things I'm watching. This is just over-the-top hilarity.

I did love that we got to see Ralph be way more active and involved. Last season I felt like the young actor may not have the ability to play a super genius child, but I really believed him here and I think if they keep giving him more to do he'll just get better. I loved the "That's why he doesn't have time for Scouts" from Paige lol.

I also love that Gallo recognizes all these things going on around him and always has just the right words to say without putting his nose too far in.

Happy doing comedy was freaking hilarious and I loved Sylvester for laughing at her jokes. Which, I admit, I laughed at her chemical joke and Sly's "It's funny 'cause it's true" lol.

Out of the characters, Walter is the one I dislike the most - and I like that I don't like him. I think he's pretentious, condescending and has no thoughts for others even though he pretends to care about the greater good. It's really all ego with him, it's all about him, and I like that Paige takes him down a peg every now and then. I don't like Walter at all, but I do like watching a character like him that isn't very sympathetic and is downright frustrating at times. He has the potential to alienate every human on earth, yet he manages to keep people around him. But I like that Paige is the one person that doesn't really accept that he has to treat people the way he does.

• Love 3

I've decided the show is a superhero comic, and that's why it's okay with me for them to outrun trains and plug extension cords into low-flying jets and warp time and have cheesy side-effects in weather balloons and so on. It's like that show... I can't remember the name of it, but it was a family which suddenly developed superpowers. They tell us the team is "high IQ super-geniuses" but really they're showing something different. If I just imagine it's all animation and that they premise admits to what it's doing, it's easier to handwave all the implausibilities.

When did it become a thing that women slap men and that's OK? Use your words, Paige! I wanted Walter to tell her that whatever she was feeling, she still needs to apologize for hitting him. And besides, she needs to stop using her emotions as an excuse to be acting out. For once, let Walter be right and Paige to have to grow, so the romantic pairing they're trying to sell us looks like two equal adults and not that the two of them have a sickening Mommy/BabyBoy fetish basis for their relationship. "Love makes women irrational" is not any better than "geniuses are emotionally incompetent" and the both of them look very immature to me, but the show seems to think it's only Walter who has a problem, so again: not thanks to the "woman loves to save a man from himself and man falls in love with the woman who civilizes him" trope.

I liked this episode more than most of them, though. Ralph apologizing for using the other kid's mom's headphones and her saying it was okay was a moment of pure kid/adult sweetness that the show usually skips over with Ralph. Paige so often is shown in a role of saying no to him, or trying to shield him from things, him interacting as a kid with another adult who's not "one of the team" was a good moment for his character. Him instructing the construction worker was back to him being in genius mode, an I liked that he saw the construction worker as equivalent to "the scientists" he usually works with (in general, the show is good that way, with Happy's skills on par with everyone else's) but it was the same way he's usually portrayed, as an adult in a tiny body, whereas the interaction with the classmate's mom showed he is still a kid, and explains why Paige is so intent on treating him like he is one.

Mixed feelings about using torture to get info. Basically, I hate it. TV in general seems to think torture is fun and effective and I wish they'd get some consultants in the writer's room, to talk about other ways to do things.

• Love 1

Marshall Flinkman is about the only reason left to watch this.  Unless they have more episodes with Katharine McPhee wearing tighter/shorter clothing than is practical for her job.

This is actually the first episode i dn't have major gripes on. yeah, their logic was flawed, especially how they simply ignored the fact that when a train is speeding that fast, it's basically impossible to be that balanced, think clearly, and that people didn't get hurt en masse. But my biggest head scratcher was how once again there was no police really involved, and only Scorpion was using their big brains to do insane things to figure stuff out...

I might be in the minority who really digs Paige and walter and loves their near-kisses. Seems there should be some momentum next week on that front, from the way Walter expressed to Cabe that there'll be no distance.

PS: Quick question... I'm a little confused on Scorpion's living arrangements. They all live in the garage? Including Paige and Ralph? Where? I dn't see any bedrooms.

Edited by Big Mother

Laughed at all the impossibilities, you know, jumping like a frog and latch to a 80MPH+ train, same goes for getting off that same train with some cable and not snapping your spine in half (it would be like falling from a 10 story building), oh well

I want that car Happy was driving, it had to be running at 150MPH to keep ahead of the train, in L.A. Traffic! wow

• Love 1

PS: Quick question... I'm a little confused on Scorpion's living arrangements. They all live in the garage? Including Paige and Ralph? Where? I dn't see any bedrooms.

None of them live there. The only one who lives there is Walter's friend (played by the guy who was Marshall Flinkman) and even he doesn't have a bedroom--he just has a camper/mobile home parked in the garage.

Presumably they all have apartments elsewhere in the city.  We just never see them (I think we've seen where Page and Ralph live, maybe once, and that's all I can recall). Conveniently if the others have some kind of epiphany it's never been in the middle of the night where we'd have to see their surroundings.

Why don't we see any of this?  Simple. To keep the show cheap. The show isn't going to be believable anyway, so they remove any illusion of them having outside lives, and save money they spend on stunts instead.

• Love 1

I liked Ray's character development, even though the story was sad.  The character development all around was great.

So he still had the medal, never even sent it to the wife?  That was all I could think about.  Of course now Walter will help him to face her, etc etc.

It was a fun, ridiculous episode.  I liked Paige & Ralph on the train; Toby and Cabe working together and Sylvester cracking up at Happy's jokes (and Walter's deadpan "That was factually accurate").  You just knew she wasn't dating the Freddie Mercury look a like.  Still she doesn't seem particularly interested in Toby, so I would prefer they just be friends.

"Love makes women irrational" is not any better than "geniuses are emotionally incompetent" and the both of them look very immature to me

Thanks for articulating what bugs me about the two of them.  It's like their supposed attraction to each other brings out their respective worst traits, including Walter's annoying hero complex.

I do love them all working together as a team and coming up with impossible solutions to their ridiculous situations.  It's goofy and fun and the actors seem to be having fun with it too.

So did those gold coins look like gold foil covered chocolate coins or what??  I also laughed at the however many millions of $ worth just being left in the "secure" room with no guard inside.  Secure room or not, you'd think there might have been some extra protection.  Oh, this show.

• Love 1
Something was missing. Happy didn't say "Not good" the entire episode, first time?

Aha! She did! She said it as she and Walter were running to the train tracks with the grease cans. (rewatching for funny parts mentioned by other posters.)

• Love 2

None of them live there. The only one who lives there is Walter's friend (played by the guy who was Marshall Flinkman) and even he doesn't have a bedroom--he just has a camper/mobile home parked in the garage.

I think Walter also lives in the upstairs of the garage. I remember when Paige was teaching Walter flirtation, she picked a tie from a pile of shirts on a bed. That's the first and only(?) time we saw that room, before that, I always assume no one lived there.

I was going to quit this show for it's unrealistic plots and science, but then Scream Queens came out and I realized that if I look at Scorpion trough the same glasses as I do at Scream Queens, it's actually enjoyable.

Though I try not to think that Scorpion as a show actually is trying to take itself seriously as opposed to just running free with the camp and cheese of the genre. But it's a minor adjustment, a much smaller one than was required last season before my personal "revelation" lol

The camp and cheese were going so strong this episode. I mean the formula describing what would have happened to Walter when he jumped onto the moving train has velocity freaking squared. 90 mph... squared... yeah... that's survivable.

I'm not gonna even admire his hand eye coordination that allowed him to grab onto a thin handle, let's assume he has that. How did the arms not fly out of the sockets is beyond me. zero to 90 acceleration. Did Clark Kent remove his glasses, quit the newspaper and take an FBI job?

Last season I would have turned it off right after that. This time... I just laughed and watched.

Edited by vavera4ka

I'm convinced this show is written by a classroom full of 2nd graders.

It's ridiculous. I'm only still watching for Toby. The actor is doing his best to salvage this thing - sadly it's not enough. Okay, Sylvester is pretty good, too. The rest?

Gabe has annoyed the bejesus out of me since the beginning, and now they're writing Walter as a real A-hole.

And yet, I still record. Why? haha