Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Na Kama Hele (Day Trippers)

• Start Topic

McGarrett's first date with Lynn (Sarah Carter) on a deserted island turns deadly when a mob boss hiding there hunts them down in order to keep his location a secret. Also, Chin, Kono and Grover must race against the game clock to locate the father of a high school football star who will be murdered by a local gambler if his son doesn't throw the big game.

Original Airdate: November 6, 2015

SOURCE: http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=43757

McGarrett's first date with Lynn (Sarah Carter) on a deserted island turns deadly when a mob boss hiding there hunts them down in order to keep his location a secret.

Are the chances any less than 100% that at some point Sarah Carter's character will utter the line, "You sure know how to show a girl a good time."?

• Love 1

I'm trying to figure out how a plane that went missing in 2011 looked in pristine condition and was on a small island - where the hell did it land? None of that made sense to me.

I liked that when the shooting started Lynn was a mess, shaking, couldn't breathe. Very realistic (and surprising for this show lol).

• Love 3

While I appreciate Chin and Kono and Grover being intuitive and stopping a crime in progress, this is another episode in which 5-0 stumbles across a crime rather than solving one. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time and they noticed because of Chin's personal interest in the targeted football player. I wonder what would have happened if there was a guy on the other team who was supposed to throw his game or else some nefarious gangster would execute his family. Too bad for that guy I guess.

Also, do gangsters kidnap and execute people because of the high stakes of high school football games? I know citizens of the US take their national sport very seriously but that's a little much.

Said football games can also be streamed in real time to your Microsoft Surface Book Pro in full HD. Again, seriously?

I am not a football fan but in the few games I have seen, that last ten seconds on the clock is about an hour of messing around. The whole "we have to hurry!" anxiety did not work for me. I guess high school football is different because they don't have breaks for commercials.

Was there a reason given as to why the fugitive was still camping on that island four years later? I guess the jet wasn't exactly ready to fly but in the time he waited he could have indeed swam back to Oahu. For that matter, steal McGarrett's boat instead of torching it.

The gun of infinite ammo gets knocked aside in the fight but no one goes for it after that. It would have been nice if they had retrieved the weapon only to find out that it was indeed empty.

They don't even try the radio on the plane. I feel like if you were thirty-some miles from Oahu and had the kind of transmitter that a prisoner transport should have, you'd be able to radio someone. Die Hard 2 had this same issue.

As much as I liked the pairing of Grover and Chin as good cop, bad cop I hope this show eventually gets around to addressing how 5-0's "means and immunity" grants them the right to beat information out of suspects.

Oh my gosh.  That was just awful. 

I don't know where to begin, except to say that they might as well have named this episode "No Homo" and been done with it.   Are the heterosexual fans so fragile that they need episodes filled with these kinds of heavy-handed reassurances?  Don't panic, straight people.  Steve loves girls!  Chin and Grover love football and beating up perps! Every woman, no matter her bad-ass job and bad-ass tough-girl personality, ultimately needs to be rescued by the big strong STRAIGHT-VERY-STRAIGHT Navy SEAL. 

I'm sure the actress is a very nice lady, but the character of Lynn made no sense whatsoever.  Who works with at risk kids and their families, but loses her shit that fast in a crisis situation?  Why can't these writers create a female character who isn't used as a dress-up fantasy dolly?  Could the camera have spent any more time panning up Lynn's cut-off shorts and down her low-cut tank?  And who doesn't wear shortie shorts and spaghetti straps to go hiking in a jungle filled with sharp-edged overgrowth and mosquitoes?  It was so condescending and insulting.  She's supposed to be some tough girl, a heroic angel who works with at-risk kids, but she's wilting in fear and hyperventilating at the first sign of danger?   

This episode was an epic cluster-fuddle, filled with every single macho cliché ever.   If I tuned into the show at random, and this was the first episode I saw, I would never watch it again.       

• Love 4

I really don't get criminals. Since blackmailing a 17 years old didn't work I will risk life imprisonment to show him? Or is a 15 years old phenom on the way up supposed to hear the story and throw a game a couple of years later. While gamblers won't know and stop betting on fixed Hawaiian high school football.

While I appreciate Chin and Kono and Grover being intuitive and stopping a crime in progress, this is another episode in which 5-0 stumbles across a crime rather than solving one. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time and they noticed because of Chin's personal interest in the targeted football player. I wonder what would have happened if there was a guy on the other team who was supposed to throw his game or else some nefarious gangster would execute his family. Too bad for that guy I guess.

Also, do gangsters kidnap and execute people because of the high stakes of high school football games? I know citizens of the US take their national sport very seriously but that's a little much.

Said football games can also be streamed in real time to your Microsoft Surface Book Pro in full HD. Again, seriously?

I am not a football fan but in the few games I have seen, that last ten seconds on the clock is about an hour of messing around. The whole "we have to hurry!" anxiety did not work for me. I guess high school football is different because they don't have breaks for commercials.

Was there a reason given as to why the fugitive was still camping on that island four years later? I guess the jet wasn't exactly ready to fly but in the time he waited he could have indeed swam back to Oahu. For that matter, steal McGarrett's boat instead of torching it.

The gun of infinite ammo gets knocked aside in the fight but no one goes for it after that. It would have been nice if they had retrieved the weapon only to find out that it was indeed empty.

They don't even try the radio on the plane. I feel like if you were thirty-some miles from Oahu and had the kind of transmitter that a prisoner transport should have, you'd be able to radio someone. Die Hard 2 had this same issue.

As much as I liked the pairing of Grover and Chin as good cop, bad cop I hope this show eventually gets around to addressing how 5-0's "means and immunity" grants them the right to beat information out of suspects.

He was there apparently by design. He was being transported from The Philippines, or somewhere, to prison in/near Long Beach, CA on "Con-Air" (as it were). He forced the plane down over Hawaii, to avoid prison, & has been hiding out there ever since; apparently feeling no need to try to get off that island & hide elsewhere.

In my opinion, he torched McG's & Lynn's boat so *they* couldn't get away & inform the authorities about his/his henchwoman's location (which begs the question of how *she* got on the island--I don't think she was on the plane with him; either he pre-arranged this as a meeting place before crashing the plane & she eventually met him there, or he communicated the same to her after crashing, before trashing his various forms of communication with the outside world). Once McG & Lynn found him out, they were supposed to end up either dead--most likely--or stuck on that island with him & his helper forever.

I know this is a minor quibble compared to everything brought up already but I'm really wondering if someone in the casting agency for H50 has a thing for high pitched female voices. Catherine - or rather Michelle - Borth had this girlish voice and the new love interest sounds almost the same. I don't blame the actresses but I would really like McGarett to date someone who sounds like an adult woman.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

Doesn't Lynn know that first dates should always be in public places? Who in the hell would get on a boat, let alone go to a deserted island, with a man they just met? That's how you wind up on the nightly news with the word "MISSING" plastered across your picture.

Why was Grover at the football game? I get the whole "ohana" thing, but he has an actual family that he should be spending time with. And don't any of these people spend their weekend doing laundry, mowing the lawn, cleaning house and going grocery shopping like regular people?

• Love 2

And don't any of these people spend their weekend doing laundry, mowing the lawn, cleaning house and going grocery shopping like regular people?

Nope, they're way too cool for that.

I would actually like to see Grover's face if anyone discussed his daughter in terms of thumb-worthiness. That scene was so cringe-worthy. Both Grover and Chin were acting completely OOC. I'm not naive and now that guys are occasionally guys but those two would never sink to such a level of skeevy. And they even went there with a female colleague present - I sorta wished that Kono would just dump cargo containers on both of them in true Roadrunner-style like she did with the bad guy back in season 1.

• Love 3

Doesn't Lynn know that first dates should always be in public places? Who in the hell would get on a boat, let alone go to a deserted island, with a man they just met? That's how you wind up on the nightly news with the word "MISSING" plastered across your picture.

I said this to my 13-year-old son! I added that you need an escape route just in case you find that you can't stand to be around this person. Difficult to escape if you are on a deserted island. Grover had it right originally -- then he changed his mind.

I find it interesting that the varsity football games are all during the day in Hawaii. Is there a reason for that or is that just for the show?

I like that Chin is getting to be more active instead of being Exposition Guy with the magic screens, but I wish they hadn't turned him into Steve 2.0.

Chin acting like a horndog with the thumb reference was equally as insulting.

At least Kono spoke up about them being gross.

the new love interest sounds almost the same

I noticed that, too.

Who in the hell would get on a boat, let alone go to a deserted island, with a man they just met?

They were introduced by a mutual friend, so there's at least one person who could connect the dots if she went disappearing.  Not the best idea for a first date for a lot of reasons, but it would have been incredibly stupid if they'd met casually in a bar or over the internet.

I like that Chin is getting to be more active instead of being Exposition Guy with the magic screens, but I wish they hadn't turned him into Steve 2.0.

At least Kono spoke up about them being gross.

I noticed that, too.

They were introduced by a mutual friend, so there's at least one person who could connect the dots if she went disappearing. Not the best idea for a first date for a lot of reasons, but it would have been incredibly stupid if they'd met casually in a bar or over the internet.

And the mutual friend is also a local Prosecuting Attorney (or at least I think it was supposed to have been Ellie Clayton who introduced them) so, yeah, if anything happened to Lynn during the date--which she didn't manage to get out of--Steve, or whomever, would be in more than a bit of trouble with not only the cops but also their mutual friend the Prosecutor (whether she could ethically/legally take the case or not since she's a mutual friend of both parties; even if she couldn't prosecute the case herself, she could probably end up being a Prosecution witness since she introduced Lynn to Steve, or whomever else if it wasn't Steve).

Not a bad episode. I still prefer when they all work together on one case. Alex is almost perfect looking. If he didn't have those ugly tats I'd swimming to Hawaii to see him. LOL!!! The first date girl was adequate but nothing special. Hopefully, she won't be seen to much. I felt like I watching an episode of Lost because it looks exactly where they'd film "jungle" stuff. I'm probably wrong. I do have have one dumb question. How did random island criminal guy know Steve's first & last name? Did I fall asleep during their introductions?

I do have have one dumb question. How did random island criminal guy know Steve's first & last name? Did I fall asleep during their introductions?

I think it was an off screen interrogation of McGarrett's date

How did Steve the Navy SEAL not realize what an absolutely terrible idea it was to try to scale up the rock wall next to the waterfall, in a completely exposed position where they would be unable to hide or even dodge out of the way if -- as was quite likely -- the armed bad guy saw them and opened fire?  I mean, I get that you don't might not want to tell a girl that her ideas are stupid on a first date, but sometimes you just need to be honest about these kinds of things.

• Love 5

Besides having a mutual friend, by now Steve has got to be pretty famous in Hawaii, as Five-O seems to have some huge case every other week, so I think "My good friend, the cop who is the head of the famous Five-O task force" is likely enough for it to be reasonable to trust that the guy isn't going to do anything to you. 

But yes, on a first date with someone you don't know at all, it would have been a terrible idea for the reasons you explained.

As for the rest of the episode, I really can't get over how much they love torture on this show. I bring it up a lot, but, well, come on, it comes UP a lot!

Also, for whatever it is worth, Hawaii High School Football playoff games have overtime periods in them, so the strategy of the team with the kid whose dad was kidnapped was insane. They tied the game late in the fourth quarter. So they were in good shape to force overtime. Instead, they went for an onsides kick. Onsides kicks are rarely recovered by the team that is kicking, so the odds were much higher that they were going to give their opponents the ball in great field position at the end of the game. It's a ludicrous strategy that no team would ever actually do. You only do onsides kicks when you're trailing at the end of the game and you have no other choice (as it is either try the onsides kick and have a low percentage of getting the ball back or not trying it and having a 100% percent chance of losing). I get why they wanted the kid to be in position to win the game at the end, but they could have just had the other team fumble or something to get the ball back. 

• Love 2

The only way the episode could have been more of a sexist mess is if they had managed to squeeze in a trip to a strip club, or if Steve had been sticking singles down Lynn’s ridiculous clothes.

Like I said up-thread, if this was the only episode I had ever seen, I would never watch again.

• Love 2

He was there apparently by design. He was being transported from The Philippines, or somewhere, to prison in/near Long Beach, CA on "Con-Air" (as it were). He forced the plane down over Hawaii, to avoid prison, & has been hiding out there ever since; apparently feeling no need to try to get off that island & hide elsewhere.

Interesting life, spending it solitary confinement because you fear the Marshal's are still looking. You can't even build a structure least you attract the attention of conservationist. I guess the sex was good when he got visits from his girlfriend and spent his day maintaining a WWII submachinegun and cutting fresh camouflage to cover a jet capable of intercontinental flight. Somehow the Marshals in on the plot had an escape plan or is there no honor among thieves?

Edited by Raja
Somehow the Marshals in on the plot had an escape plan or is there no honor among thieves?

I think that was what Steve was referring to when the guy tried to bribe him. I don't think the pilots got paid - they got killed. If it wasn't safe enough for the guy with all his criminal connections to leave, how could the pilots/guards leave? They are supposed to have died in the crash and would probably reconnect with people in their lives and expose the fake crash. The guy was willing to kill to avoid having the plane be discovered - he has just as much reason to kill the pilots/guards. I suspect his helper was waiting on the island. 

Even though there is no way that plane could have landed on that dinky island with nothing remotely resembling a runway. I suppose it too navigated its way up the waterfall and through the trees.

• Love 3

Even though there is no way that plane could have landed on that dinky island with nothing remotely resembling a runway. I suppose it too navigated its way up the waterfall and through the trees.

The smoke-monster helped?

• Love 3

I said this to my 13-year-old son! I added that you need an escape route just in case you find that you can't stand to be around this person. Difficult to escape if you are on a deserted island. Grover had it right originally -- then he changed his mind.

And he changed it only because the girl was pretty. As if pretty (aka hot) means she will be compatible. 

I watched this exercising, while trying to work out something entirely unrelated in my head. It was the perfect show to do that with - I didn't really need to pay attention.

• Love 2

Where are these deserted, pristine islands within a couple-hour boat ride from O'ahu? I think the closest Northwestern Hawai'ian island is at least a couple of hundred miles away. Oh well, as always, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief doe the gorgeous scenery - and the underwater photography was spectacular. I'd love to know the filming locations.

• Love 1
(edited)

Where are these deserted, pristine islands within a couple-hour boat ride from O'ahu? I think the closest Northwestern Hawai'ian island is at least a couple of hundred miles away. Oh well, as always, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief doe the gorgeous scenery - and the underwater photography was spectacular. I'd love to know the filming locations.

I think a lot of it was shot in the Maunawili area of O'ahu. The waterfall was, if I'm not mistaken, Waimea Falls.

I'm going by what was stated by at least the "behind the scenes creatives" involved with the episode (writer, producer, director, etc.), maybe also by some of the actors (including Sarah Carter--aka Lynn Downey) &/or other fans familiar with Hawaii on Social Media during & after the ep (Lenkov & a bunch of the writing/producing staff normally "Live Tweet" on Twitter during the new eps for those interested in getting "behind the scenes" type info on the eps or just "hanging out & watching the ep with them", in a way, even though they're in California & 3 [2] hours behind Eastern [& Central] Time--I've been in a lot of these Tweet sessions & they definitely are either watching the Eastern Time feed of the show, a tape of the finished ep, or perhaps following along with the final copy of the script, as shot/edited, for the ep as we're watching, 'cause their comments do accurately reflect what's actually, usually just, been seen onscreen).

Edited by BW Manilowe

I'm trying to figure out how a plane that went missing in 2011 looked in pristine condition and was on a small island - where the hell did it land? None of that made sense to me.

).

The plane landed on the runway that The Others built obviously.

I'm sure the actress is a very nice lady, but the character of Lynn made no sense whatsoever. Who works with at risk kids and their families, but loses her shit that fast in a crisis situation?

I thought that seemed like a pretty reasonable reaction. Not sure why working with at risk kids would prepare her at all for a surprise situation where an adult tries to murder her. Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2

I thought her reaction was boogus because someone who works with at risk kids has no doubt been exposed to violence in the line of work. She's a psychologist who works with troubled youth. She should not start sobbing and quivering and hyperventilating at the first sign of danger. I would have been okay with it if she didn't work a job where you can expect "pushback". But they spent all that time telling us what a tough cookie she was, then she wilts at the first sign of danger? BS.

I thought her reaction was boogus because someone who works with at risk kids has no doubt been exposed to violence in the line of work. She's a psychologist who works with troubled youth. She should not start sobbing and quivering and hyperventilating at the first sign of danger. I would have been okay with it if she didn't work a job where you can expect "pushback". But they spent all that time telling us what a tough cookie she was, then she wilts at the first sign of danger? BS.

I see it more that she is used to dealing with stubborn, immature people who have a tendency to create their own problems. This skill set will serve her well if she continues seeing Steve. However, when the actual bullets start flying... Well, I think she did remarkably well given the circumstances. She only needed a couple of moments to compose herself and she kept it together even when she was taken hostage.

I am in full agreement with the poster who noted that a Navy SEAL would never silhouette himself on a ridgeline, completely exposed to enemy fire. What should have happened is that she suggested this and McGarrett countered with the idea of hiking the more difficult but much less exposed way. That way it would have made more sense for the bad guy to catch up to them when he did. Darned Navy SEALs and their reluctance to talk about how they survive by not being stupid.

• Love 2
then she wilts at the first sign of danger

Automatic weapon fire is not a sign of danger, it's actual danger.  It's also designed to overwhelm the senses, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a combat novice freak out from it.

• Love 4

She was also able to compose herself. If she'd continued to wail and scream and cry, then yes, I'd still have a problem. But she got with the program right away and got a level head about it.

Even if she freaked out about it the whole episode I wouldn't have really had a problem with it. Since even in the world of Hawaii 5-0 I doubt that social worker offices are getting shot up on a regular basis, so I am not sure what in her career could prepare her for this. Especially since I have read stories about actual military people freaking out when they get into an actual combat situation.

One other thing that bugged me about the high school bet thing is how exactly does that work. The mob guy said that he bet half a million or something right? If I wanted to bet half a million on a high school football game, exactly who would take that action and bet against me? Especially if I was a dangerous mob boss who would probably do whatever it takes to make sure I win.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the storyline of Steve and new lady on the deserted island.  I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't put Steve and Ellie together and instead had her introduce him to a new lady.  It definitely seemed like they were headed in that direction.  Wonder why she's no longer interested.

The storyline at the high school football game..... zzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Couldn't care less.  It was like "hey, we spent all of our money on Steve's outdoor action shots and have nothing left but need to find something for 3 out of the remaining 6 credited cast members to do".

I am wondering why, after climbing up the waterfall, they had to cross the river so close to the waterfall's edge.  I know it's so there could be a fight and bad guy would tumble off the cliff, but still.  Reasonable people would have gone a bit further down where there was no risk of falling over the waterfall.

Why would Steve travel to a remote deserted island with no gun and no sat phone?  Makes zero sense.

I wonder where the underwater shots were done - probably just stock footage from somewhere but would love to know where.

Definitely looked like stock footage.  There are zero shots of Steve or the lady in any of the scenes with the fish and dolphins.  Every shot of them is from the bottom looking up at them with nothing else in view.

This was an interesting episode.  Everyone was out of character.  I did love when Grover plonked himself down between the two bad guys with his cigar firmly chomped between his teeth and 'splained how things were going to go.

You've got to give Steve credit, if there hadn't been the whole fugitive issue and the automatic weapon fire, that would have been an awesome first date.

I loved how he was nervous but still sort of cool about his date's wild boat driving. 

Where was Danny?  Not even a mention of "busy with Charlie."

This was an interesting episode. Everyone was out of character. I did love when Grover plonked himself down between the two bad guys with his cigar firmly chomped between his teeth and 'splained how things were going to go.

You've got to give Steve credit, if there hadn't been the whole fugitive issue and the automatic weapon fire, that would have been an awesome first date.

I loved how he was nervous but still sort of cool about his date's wild boat driving.

Where was Danny? Not even a mention of "busy with Charlie."

I think the premise of the ep, at least for the main characters, was that it was supposed to be their day off. So I'm assuming Danny was off, with Grace &/or Charlie, or perhaps with his girlfriend, Amber/Melissa. He was obviously supposed to be somewhere he couldn't be reached/wouldn't be bothered since Lou worked the case involving the football game with Kono & Chin, whether those 3 were actually at the game or not. I forget if Lou was, but I'm pretty sure Chin & Kono were since it was a Kukui High game, Chin (& Jerry, & presumably Kono) went to Kukui & was a big football star there before McGarrett also went to Kukui, played football there (before being sent to the Mainland for his--& Mary's--protection), & broke most/all of Chin's football-related records.

They just forgot to write a little "throwaway" line explaining his absence in the ep. Some of the writers are better at remembering stuff like that than others are--like a couple weeks ago when they mentioned (more than once, including in Jerry Rice's cameo scene) that Danny was in the hospital to do his part of the Bone Marrow Transplant Charlie needed.

I appreciate it when the writer(s) actually takes the time to write in even a "bullshit" excuse for an actor's/character's absence from an ep, even though I think a lot of H50 fans know, by now, Scott's absences--at least 5 of them per season, anyway--are because he & those involved at the contractual level renegotiated his contract at some point around S3 or S4 (I think) & they agreed to let him do 5 eps less, per season, than Alex does.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

So many frustrating improbabilities in this one...you all have covered most of them.  Me, I paused it during the dialogue as they headed to the island.  "Why'd you choose this place?"  "Because my dad always wanted to take me snorkeling here and I never went."  Later on she wants to explore the island and he is surprised that she's been there before--she explains she used to go with her grandfather.

Why would this dialogue not have taken place when they set up the date?  "Hey, let's go to Shooty-guy island!  We'll snorkel and pack a lunch!"  "Great!  I haven't been there since I was 15 with my grandpa!"  Or even when he said he'd never been there..."aw, I'm sorry you didn't get to go with your dad--I used to go with my grandfather and it was pretty special."  No, just wait and awkwardly reveal later.  

It's funny, I hated Catherine's baby voice and thought this actress' voice was much better.  Maybe because I expect it to be high if she's trying to hold back terror!  Maybe it is high, but to me it wasn't quite as extreme as Catherine's.  But I'm not going to rewatch to check.

I was amused at the two driving scenes--her taking over from Steve, which he would never have let Danny do, even if Danny squeezed past him sexily to trade places, and Steve obviously yet subtly tamping down his control issues there; and Chin Ho turning through the sugar cane fields in his little sports car and Grover pleading that next time they take his SUV.  The subtle and true-to-character scenes are the best.

If I weren't going to pretend the thumb scene never happened, I'd say Chin Ho was finally over Malia.  Ugh!

I had to laugh that Steve and Lynn go and climb up the waterfall to 'save time' to get back to the plane and by the time they get up and cross the river (right at the edge, really?), the bad guy (that had passed them down below) had already gotten back up to the top of the waterfall ahead of them.  Great time saver that climb was.

• Love 2

I couldn't get over that a team would onside kick in a tie game, and then not kick a field goal to win the game from the 20 yard line. The kid who caught the pass just prior had run out of bounds, so the clock would be stopped. And then the "prospect" heaves a dead duck in the end zone.

Of all the cray, that's what got to me. I mean, this show. 

And don't any of these people spend their weekend doing laundry, mowing the lawn, cleaning house and going grocery shopping like regular people?

I still do work from home on the weekends, but I have laundry to do, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. Going to a HS football game doesn't even register.

I don't know where to begin, except to say that they might as well have named this episode "No Homo" and been done with it.

#MicDrop

Does anyone know what island that was?  may have been a more isolated part of Oahu (although I have never been to hardly any area on Oahu that pristine).

real beautiful scenery in and out of the water.  They do the islands justice for sure.

The story line is weak and usually is with this reboot of Five-O.  I wish someone else led the launching of Five-0 2.0

Does anyone know what island that was? may have been a more isolated part of Oahu (although I have never been to hardly any area on Oahu that pristine).

real beautiful scenery in and out of the water. They do the islands justice for sure.

The story line is weak and usually is with this reboot of Five-O. I wish someone else led the launching of Five-0 2.0

As I said upthread, it was filmed--at least partly--in the Maunawili area of Oʻahu (confirmed by a Tweet from the show's Twitter account). The waterfall part was apparently filmed at Waimea Falls (I read that somewhere else online). That's all I know about the locations in the ep.

Moved from the thread for S06E08.

Was Sarah Carter Maggie on Falling Skies? Because she was pretty crappy on that.

She was in Falling Skies, yeah. I'm not sure who she played; I never watched it & I can't remember which character from that show was mentioned in the press release announcing her H50 casting.

I'd never seen her before this ep--that I know of. So far I think she's playing the character well & seems like a reasonable match for McGarrett, in my personal opinion (& I liked Catherine too--at least before she said she wanted nothing more than to stay in Hawaii with Steve, then she left him hanging at the drop of a hat after taking 1 mysterious phone call at Steve's house & then she took another, even more mysterious, call in the car on the way to the airport [or somewhere] during which the caller asked if Steve bought the deception about her departure she told him).

She wasn't as crappy on Falling Skies as they gave her not much to work with. Like many many actors, she didn't "rise above the material". When they gave her something to work with, she was fine. When they reduced her to "plot for male", well, there's only so much an actor can do. I didn't see that they did much for her here either.