Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

She may be going into this field for how it makes "Her" look, rather how she can help others. Mariah does not give off a successful social worker vibe, more like a body guard, bouncer, enforcer.

I think you're on to something there.  Mariah's personality is very bullish.

• Love 5

Even her summer job sounded like she was involved in the coordination of youth activities, not actually working with the kids themselves, which is best for them.  Miss Knowitall likes to be in charge.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

Even her summer job sounded like she was involved in the coordination of youth activities, not actually working with the kids themselves, which is best for them.  Miss Knowitall likes to be in charge.

I am not a Mariah fan at all, but I am a social worker.  I never did direct practice or direct anything except in my first year of school when I realized it wasn't for me.  Social work is a big field with lots of opportunities to contribute to the greater good.  I administered federal formula grant programs so that people who were good at and liked to work directly with people could be funded to do it.  It isn't best for kids to have any kind of direct workers who aren't good at it, don't like it, etc.  I was one of those. But I know what I did for years before I retired made a difference for the people who did like it - I helped them one on one to get funded.  I still hear from people who learned from me how to write a successful grant, etc.  Still, not a fan of Mariah or her whiny mother.

• Useful 7
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Curious on your opinion on where you see Mariah and her personality succeeding in the social work field?

Oh gosh I couldn’t say. I don’t think she would take supervision well nor do I think she would be a good supervisor At this point in her life. Meaning she might not be able to work for or with many people. Unless she grows up and deals with her own shit. One isn’t required to undergo therapy to be a social worker. In my experience the duds are weeded out along the way sometimes during licensing supervision. Lots of social workers get started in state agencies like child protection or benefits offices or private nonprofits. She might find some agency/organization who likes her spirit for their social action work but maybe just behind the scenes. She has a lot of years to mature - we will have to see if that happens. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I don’t think she would take supervision well nor do I think she would be a good supervisor At this point in her life. Meaning she might not be able to work for or with many people.

I agree, but don't hold out any hope that this narcissist will ever change their stripes.  

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Meaning she might not be able to work for or with many people.

Thanks Lookeyloo.

I initially was thinking an actual social worker, which I cannot see her excelling in. Haven't seen any empathy, compassion, or measured communication skills from her. Then you detailed the bigger picture, which prompted my question. I was hoping you could share an area someone with such a harsh personality would fit.  As a manager/supervisor, I can't imagine having her work with me or anyone from what we have been privvy to. Wonder what she was doing this summer? Maybe she can short term fake it.

I guess she can stay in school forever, keep Meri company at Lizzies while schooling the public on being woke, or bouncer.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Thanks Lookeyloo.

I initially was thinking an actual social worker, which I cannot see her excelling in. Haven't seen any empathy, compassion, or measured communication skills from her. Then you detailed the bigger picture, which prompted my question. I was hoping you could share an area someone with such a harsh personality would fit.  As a manager/supervisor, I can't imagine having her work with me or anyone from what we have been privvy to. Wonder what she was doing this summer? Maybe she can short term fake it.

I guess she can stay in school forever, keep Meri company at Lizzies while schooling the public on being woke, or bouncer.

When you say “actual social worker” I’m thinking you mean direct practice like therapist?  Because we are all actual social workers. I have a clinical license but have never done anything clinical. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Learning from you tonite, thanks! Not very educated on the field, so this is interesting. I think I meant case worker when I said social worker? I was referring to the person who actually checks on a persons welfare, making house call, etc vs seeing people in an office setting.  

I found this really interesting "One isn’t required to undergo therapy to be a social worker". I wasn't aware therapy would be a pre requisite for some areas in the field. 

• Love 1
On 9/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, Absolom said:

IIRC she was doing a MSW/MA in social justice.  If that's what she's in, it's a three year program.  The MSW page says that all MSW classes are currently online.  If that's what she's doing then this is what she should have done this past summer and what she has left.

image.thumb.png.80d1578fe45c948d1163bd706cae1dfd.png

No wonder she is so fucked up. I hope I am not subsidizing this shit curriculum. 

1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

What's wrong with it? I have no knowledge about what she should be learning. 

Nothing about Social Justice curriculum is Justice.

2 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

What's wrong with it? I have no knowledge about what she should be learning. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Learning from you tonite, thanks! Not very educated on the field, so this is interesting. I think I meant case worker when I said social worker? I was referring to the person who actually checks on a persons welfare, making house call, etc vs seeing people in an office setting.  

I found this really interesting "One isn’t required to undergo therapy to be a social worker". I wasn't aware therapy would be a pre requisite for some areas in the field. 

Yes, sometimes case workers are social workers, but in a lot of states, they don't have to be.  Budgets and such.  About the therapy comment, sometimes I have encountered folks who think since I am a social worker, I would have gone through therapy as part of my education.  I don't know any fields that require it either.  Just clarifying.  BTW, I did have therapy, but not related to my social work education. One can be a social worker and never see a "client" in the sense of one on one, or group therapy, in any way, other than administrative, research, etc.

https://www.socialworkdegreecenter.com/10-famous-people-social-work-degrees/

Some of these people have a Bachelor's Degree.  The Masters is the one that unlocks more doors in the profession.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Maybe if "Graduate and Professional Writing" were worth more than ZERO credits, Mariah would have learned how to write like a professional adult.

Interpreting the "small print", I believe that course is the grad school version of a remedial writing class.  In other words, if her writing was "less than" going in she was required to take the class to "catch up" to the level of her peers so I agree it should not count towards the attainment of her degree.

Now the question is did she take it and the lessons still left her lacking or did she somehow bamboozle the registrar into believing her writing skills were better than what they actually are?

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Maybe if "Graduate and Professional Writing" were worth more than ZERO credits, Mariah would have learned how to write like a professional adult.

I'm sure Princess felt taking it was beneath her since she is the Be-All and End-All in the academic world.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm sure Princess felt taking it was beneath her since she is the Be-All and End-All in the academic world.

She's not the one who determines if she takes it or not, the registrar makes that decision at the time of admission to the program.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

An awful lot of students these days think they only need to write well in English class.  I'm grading online discussions from first-year students who write assignments like they are writing texts or Facebook posts.  Maybe she never grew out of that to realize that people judge you by spelling and grammar as well as what you say.

And in my graduate program, 36 credits was done in two years (nine credits per semester for four semesters).  Why three?  Lots of non-credit stuff?  Or are they not expected to do nine credits along with research and such?  We were.  

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Contextual education is a method of teaching and learning, based on a constructivist theory, where information is presented in a way that students are able to construct meaning based on their own experience.

FYI

Man, things have changed since I was in college. 

18 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Contextual education is a method of teaching and learning, based on a constructivist theory, where information is presented in a way that students are able to construct meaning based on their own experience.

So if I am presented information on baking muffins but I have, in my experience, never seen a muffin, an oven, or a mixing bowl I have no way to bake any? 

I am a well-read, fairly intelligent college graduate and I honestly have no freaking idea what that even means.

• Love 13

My second daughter was supposed to learn physics that way.  The result was every night daughter and me and her sister's physics book so she could actually learn physics.  It does work well for some students.  For others, it's a disaster.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

So if I am presented information on baking muffins but I have, in my experience, never seen a muffin, an oven, or a mixing bowl I have no way to bake any? 

I am a well-read, fairly intelligent college graduate and I honestly have no freaking idea what that even means.

I am glad I am not the only one.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Absolom said:

It does work well for some students.  For others, it's a disaster.  

Puts me in mind of my nursing school days. It was a baccalaureate program and they taught LOTS of theory but not lot of hands on stuff.  When I complained they said "you'll know the principles behind it".  At the end of my third year I had enough education to get an LPN license and I got a summer job in a hospital to get practical experience.  Would never have made it after I graduated without that summer of practice.

There are so many different learning styles.  That contextual one sounds whackadoodle to me.  I can only imagine how Snowflake's princess upbringing would let her hear what someone less privileged would even be saying to her.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Puts me in mind of my nursing school days. It was a baccalaureate program and they taught LOTS of theory but not lot of hands on stuff.  When I complained they said "you'll know the principles behind it".  At the end of my third year I had enough education to get an LPN license and I got a summer job in a hospital to get practical experience.  Would never have made it after I graduated without that summer of practice.

There are so many different learning styles.  That contextual one sounds whackadoodle to me.  I can only imagine how Snowflake's princess upbringing would let her hear what someone less privileged would even be saying to her.  

That is so unfair to other learning styles. I require an explanation or presentation of context to make sense of information. REQUIRE. My brain is sometimes like a computer, without context or additional information, an error occurs and I cannot complete a task or project. Once I have a base of contextual information, I can zoom along just fine. 

Figuring it out myself "based on my own experience" generally does not happen for me until I have a good base to work with. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

That is so unfair to other learning styles. 

Absolutely.  I taught in a community college and saw all of the different variations on learning.  It's the subject of zillions of books.  How come the fancy-shmancy expensive institution doesn't seem to realize that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Absolutely.  I taught in a community college and saw all of the different variations on learning.  It's the subject of zillions of books.  How come the fancy-shmancy expensive institution doesn't seem to realize that?

It's been hard for me my entire life as someone with mild autism. I struggled in middle/high school, not because I was dumb, but because I processed differently. I was made fun of for asking questions, so I stopped. Luckily my college professors brought out the best in me and I flourished there. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 9/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, Fosca said:

An awful lot of students these days think they only need to write well in English class.  I'm grading online discussions from first-year students who write assignments like they are writing texts or Facebook posts.  Maybe she never grew out of that to realize that people judge you by spelling and grammar as well as what you say.

And in my graduate program, 36 credits was done in two years (nine credits per semester for four semesters).  Why three?  Lots of non-credit stuff?  Or are they not expected to do nine credits along with research and such?  We were.  

I used to think back when that ALL classes with papers should be a component of a writing class, in that any essays, compositions, research reports, etc. should also be graded by someone in the English department.  

• Love 2
On 9/10/2020 at 8:23 PM, itsadryheat said:

FYI

She got that alright. Everything is about her truth.  Facts unimportant.

• Love 6

At my university there is a course for non-science majors called Geology but AKA "Rocks for Jocks". Pre-lockdown there'd be classes of ~250 where groups of 5 would "learn" by using their own experiences to figure out how volcanos, plate tectonics, etc. work using "the wisdom of the crowd".  This is without any geology lectures or textbook, and they have no knowledge of math, chemistry or physics beyond high-school level, which is why these math/science phobes are taking Rocks for Jocks to fulfill their science option.  Then one member of each group presents their "findings" and they are graded by the other groups (with no education background).  It would be interesting to have an objective test before and after the course to see if they have more or less accurate knowledge of geology after the course is over.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

WTF?

Apparently the new Cormoran Strike book (written by JK Rowling) has a serial killer who’s trans, which set off that diatribe.   The new book hasn’t even come out yet, so pretty strong words for a book she can’t possibly have read. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

How many thousands of books have been written about cis-gender serial killers?  

Yeah, I’m rolling my eyes at Mariah on this. I’m pretty sure that the book isn’t going to change any minds on transgender people. I share a lot of the same sentiments as Mariah but usually cringe at her delivery, but this one is dumb. I think it would have made more sense to criticize the rather ignorant statements that Rowling made about transgender people the last few months. Now if the character perpetuates harmful and untrue stereotypes of transgender people, that’s fair game for criticism, but currently it comes off as how dare Rowling have a transgender character who isn’t a saint. 

• Love 12

OMG, can she be more dramatic?  And does she seriously think Rowlings reads her twittery twits?  And will, what, rewrite the book or not publish it?  I'm sure that there is a ton of literature with which Snowflake disagrees.  Even those already published.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm sure that there is a ton of literature with which Snowflake disagrees.  Even those already published.

Topping that list would possibly be Dale Carnegie's best seller How To Win Friends and Influence People.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

So Mariah is being horrifically dramatic, as usual. But in context: JK Rowling has said some very anti-trans things lately, and her new book involves a serial killer who poses as a woman to attack victims. The argument that "men will dress as women to attack and kill them" is what is used as rational in the various controversial "bathroom bills" that argue that someone should use the bathroom of their assigned gender at birth. Therefore, many activists are deeply concerned that this book is normalizing a stereotype that has led to harassment and violence against trans people. Here's a better thought out explanation: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/books/2020/09/15/jk-rowling-troubled-blood-transgender-comments-can-you-separate-art-artist/5760735002/

Regardless of whether I agree or disagree, I think Mariah needs to learn to better express her views. She tends to operate on the idea that everyone has all the background facts and if you don't that's your problem, not hers. But her tweets aren't going to help or change anything, because she's not explaining it, which doesn't really help any causes she feels strongly about. Hell, all she had to do was include a link or a better explanation instead of throwing a twitter tantrum. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

There are so many other ways Mariah could have expressed herself.

For starters, she may want to re-think the symbol she uses to present her ideas.  A clenched fist in the air indicates to me this is not a person open to discourse and exchange of concepts, but rather someone who has entrenched ideals and if you don't 100% support her, don't even bother to engage.  An open palm extended, showing that she is willing to accept input and offer her viewpoint without recriminations, may attract more awareness and understanding of her cause.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

For starters, she may want to re-think the symbol she uses to present her ideas.  A clenched fist in the air indicates to me this is not a person open to discourse and exchange of concepts, but rather someone who has entrenched ideals and if you don't 100% support her, don't even bother to engage.  An open palm extended, showing that she is willing to accept input and offer her viewpoint without recriminations, may attract more awareness and understanding of her cause.

What isn't her cause? She is into every grievance position possible. Her belief is grievance and victimhood.

• Love 12