Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can’t believe it but I didn’t mind any of the brides this time - usually one drives me crazy. Happy for taekwando lady and even though the goth girl’s hair and tattoos were not my thing, she was fun. Also the brother-in-law and bride were lovely too. No annoying gaggle of people trying to take over the appointment either. The dresses were all pretty and not revealing - what happened? 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, amarante said:

But with COVID I would imagine it is even more of a set up in order to deal with COVID restrictions on maximum number of people.

It is odd to see the store relatively quiet while they're filming now.  It's usually bustling with people in there.  I miss the the background noise (talking, excitement, tears of joy!)  

I don't mind Randy being on the IPAD. He is not there during the whole shopping experience as I would imagine that he is on to shoot certain specific scenes. No one is holding an IPAD for hours.

I love Randy, and with him being the face of the franchise, I guess he needs to make an appearance.  It does seem like some of the consultants need his help with certain things that they should be able to do themselves.  I'm sure it's just done so as to include him. 

I noticed them putting the IPad down several times.  Even so, I stand by my original statement:  Someone with Kleinfeld can pick it up and do the bride & Randy interaction scenes.  Ain't my circus; ain't my monkey.  I'm there to help pick out a dress, not be a camera person!!  They need to mount the IPad on a rolling stand like they did for Fredrik on Million Dollar Listing, then Randy could follow the consultants around the store!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Tiny bride was very aware of the pitfalls of trying on Randy's dress while Randy was on the iPad. All handled it very well. Question of the year (so far) seeing lots of Essence of Australia and Randy dresses shown. Where is Pnina? Is her jewelry business now her priority? Do not miss the Stripper Fairy dresses at all.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

They need to mount the IPad on a rolling stand like they did for Fredrik on Million Dollar Listing, then Randy could follow the consultants around the store!  

Now I want to see Fredrik sell Randy a condo (I know, not the same network). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

What happened to Gok? I miss him.

They stopped airing the UK version in conjunction with the US version.  You can set a recording for the UK version which aired early this morning on TLC. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It is odd to see the store relatively quiet while they're filming now.  It's usually bustling with people in there.  I miss the the background noise (talking, excitement, tears of joy!)  

I love Randy, and with him being the face of the franchise, I guess he needs to make an appearance.  It does seem like some of the consultants need his help with certain things that they should be able to do themselves.  I'm sure it's just done so as to include him. 

I noticed them putting the IPad down several times.  Even so, I stand by my original statement:  Someone with Kleinfeld can pick it up and do the bride & Randy interaction scenes.  Ain't my circus; ain't my monkey.  I'm there to help pick out a dress, not be a camera person!!  They need to mount the IPad on a rolling stand like they did for Fredrik on Million Dollar Listing, then Randy could follow the consultants around the store!  

I understand and actually get the Frederick reference 😁 Obviously production is technically savvy enough to have gotten that iPad robot but I think it was a deliberate choice to be a bit "homier" in terms of the "shtick".

I don't think the entourage was actually holding the iPad for anything other than shooting the actual stuff where the entourage, bride and Randy were interacting together. I think it was done so that it all appeared to be part of the "action". 

I was thinking to myself that Randy might have stayed in Florida to help with his mother. I think she is still alive and if he and she were careful with COVID restrictions, he might have wanted to really be available to limit her interactions with other people in terms of getting her food, prescriptions, taking her to necessary medical appointments etc. 

• Love 3

Randy's been working out of Florida for years now. He only comes, or came, to New York when they were filming the show.

Goth bride really did look fantastic in the black dress but it was a more a fancy party dress than a wedding gown. Didn't really like the one she chose. I do remember some dresses featured on Gok's shows that would have worked wonderfully for her. Didn't they used to have dresses from cancelled weddings and people who just never finished paying or picked up their dresses available? Liked 99% of the tiny Indian woman's dress except for the boning that seems to be on the outside instead of the inside. Looked like her breasts were in little cages.

Taekwando bride spends thousands of dollars and anguishes over dress, to go to such a tacky venue in Las Vegas with a whole two people in attendance besides the officiant. And they maybe like the ganja because the Clark County Marriage License database shows the wedding on 4/20/21.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Taekwando bride spends thousands of dollars and anguishes over dress, to go to such a tacky venue in Las Vegas with a whole two people in attendance besides the officiant. And they maybe like the ganja because the Clark County Marriage License database shows the wedding on 4/20/21.

I think she said she was going to do a second ceremony for friends, etc, I'm guessing back home, and wear the dress again.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, ML89 said:

I think she said she was going to do a second ceremony for friends, etc, I'm guessing back home, and wear the dress again.

Her dress was fine, and I'm happy that she's happy.  I wanted to see more of her mom's dress though. I thought it was spectacular. I imagine she's happy she gets to wear it as MOB twice. 

• Love 5

For the red haired bride, I liked the second dress the best. It was the perfect Morticia Addams silhouette for her. But seeing her get so emotional about the third dress was definitely the clincher. She was so happy!

I thought the dress that the Indian bride chose looked very 90s, especially the top. It looked good on her, just a little outdated. I'm really starting to feel bad for all these brides who are pressured to try on Randy's dresses and then have to tell him to his face that it's not the dress for them. Awkward! In the past, the brides only met the designer (mainly Pnina) if they were definitely planning to buy the dress, but wanted to ask about making a few alterations.

• Love 4

I'm a little late, but how in the world is your head so far up your own butt that you believe that having a second dress for your reception is such a delightful amazing wonderful surprise treat for your GUESTS instead of something for YOU?  

• LOL 11
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Bad Example said:

I'm a little late, but how in the world is your head so far up your own butt that you believe that having a second dress for your reception is such a delightful amazing wonderful surprise treat for your GUESTS instead of something for YOU?  

Seriously!  All I care about at a wedding is whether I'm going to get some wedding cake or not!  Me:  "The bride changed into another dress?  Pfftt.  What kind of cake are we having?"   

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Seriously!  All I care about at a wedding is whether I'm going to get some wedding cake or not!  Me:  "The bride changed into another dress?  Pfftt.  What kind of cake are we having?"   

Same at birthdays, showers, anniversary parties etc. And it better not have fruit in it!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this episode because we got to see a bride try on more than three dresses.  

On the other hand, there was The Case of the Missing Belt. At first, I couldn't figure out why a dress with a huge bow in the back would be designed with a belt. So kudos, I guess, to the bridal industry for convincing brides that a dress designed to accent a small waist and a great figure needs what is probably an expensive, bedazzled belt that was apparently not designed as a part of the dress but was just available as loose stock. I did notice that that the gigantic bow had been removed for the reception, but still I don't think the belt was as necessary as the bride did. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, rur said:

I enjoyed this episode because we got to see a bride try on more than three dresses.  

On the other hand, there was The Case of the Missing Belt. At first, I couldn't figure out why a dress with a huge bow in the back would be designed with a belt. So kudos, I guess, to the bridal industry for convincing brides that a dress designed to accent a small waist and a great figure needs what is probably an expensive, bedazzled belt that was apparently not designed as a part of the dress but was just available as loose stock. I did notice that that the gigantic bow had been removed for the reception, but still I don't think the belt was as necessary as the bride did. 

Yep.  I rolled my eyes when the 2 staff members asked for help, saying they'd looked everywhere.  Except for the accessory closet, that is, where one would reasonably expect it to be.

• Love 6
On 8/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

He is very busy renovating his West Palm Beach house and designing more gowns, maybe he will stray from that blue dress he did for his first collection, the two snowballs and netting, yeesh.

You are right about the black dress syndrome, 100%.  I would love to have a bride change things up and ask for a lime green wedding dress, lol.

A friend of mine got married in a chartreuse Oscar de la Renta gown (silk column dress that had just a bit of flow to it) and she looked AMAZING.  Then again I’m always down for something different :)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Toodleoo said:

A friend of mine got married in a chartreuse Oscar de la Renta gown (silk column dress that had just a bit of flow to it) and she looked AMAZING.  Then again I’m always down for something different :)

Well that was Oscar, I am sure it was amazing!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, rur said:

Missing belt bride's hair looked so dirty and greasy on her wedding day.  Not a good look.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Well that was Oscar, I am sure it was amazing!

She got it secondhand, too! 

Oooh just now catching the episode with Randy’s assistant. Absolutely love the dress she chose, it is so nice to see something a little more tailored and sophisticated instead of all those Pnina things.  The long veil didn’t quite go…that seems like that dress needed a more sophisticated head thingie, or perhaps nothing on her head.

Essense of Australia seems to produce some really lovely gowns for SYTTD: England so it’s great to see Kleinfeld carrying them too.

With Hayley Paige losing the ability to sell dresses under her name (or to do anything bridal-related until August 2022) I wonder if they’ll feature any of JLM’s designs that use her name?

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Toodleoo said:

Essense of Australia seems to produce some really lovely gowns for SYTTD: England so it’s great to see Kleinfeld carrying them too.

My DIL wore an Essense of Australia (coming up on the 4 year anniversary), it was stunning. 

• Love 4

Well, a sort of high profile celebrity’s “Say Yes to the Dress”-connected marriage has gone bust, apparently, with the divorce announced exactly 3 years, to the day, of the wedding. The unhappy couple is… Iron Chef Cat Cora & her now-estranged wife, producer Nicole Erlich.

The ironic thing is, their SYTTD episode, where they shopped together, but separately, so neither would see the other’s dress before the wedding, with their own separate entourages who voted on the possible gowns, & acted like schoolgirls (or something), proclaiming through the closed doors to each of their dressing rooms that it was agony for them to be apart long enough to choose their dresses, was on TLC earlier this morning. And since the wedding they’ve proclaimed nothing but being the happiest they’ve ever been, & finding their dream life partner, in the other. Ms. Ehrlich filed this divorce; I think Cat Cora filed to end her first, 17-year plus marriage, from which she shares four sons with her first wife, Jennifer, along with a lot of legal actions claiming Jennifer is trying to legally damage Cat’s personal & professional reputation.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I like Gok, but some of the dresses he picks for the brides look terrible.  They eventually get it right though.  Maybe it's because some of the dresses appear to be ill-fitted at the try-on stage, but look better once tailored to the individual.  That's to be expected.  

I also like Randy, but I'm just tired of everything having to be video conferenced in these days (like most of the news had to be done last year.)  I know it's a petty complaint, but if he can't be there in person, then I'm okay with him taking a break from the show.  

• Love 3

They haven’t had a really pretty dress on in awhile. If you look at Randy’s website he has some beautiful dresses but they are only showing ugly ones that look shredded on the top and of course are half naked or have cut—outs. It also seems like the brides think they only have three dresses to choose from not to mention that everyone must cry when they put it on. I know they have limited time for their appointment, but I sure wouldn’t pay thousands of dollars for a dress I didn’t like.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

They haven’t had a really pretty dress on in awhile. If you look at Randy’s website he has some beautiful dresses but they are only showing ugly ones that look shredded on the top and of course are half naked or have cut—outs. It also seems like the brides think they only have three dresses to choose from not to mention that everyone must cry when they put it on. I know they have limited time for their appointment, but I sure wouldn’t pay thousands of dollars for a dress I didn’t like.

I just checked out his website and I love so many that we never see on the show. Didn't Randy suggest the Bentley for this last bride?  It's part of his latest collection and I loved it.  I wish she would have tried it on.  I know we can't see every dress they try on, but it does seem like they only opt for 3.  The appointments are what? 90 minutes?  For the first 45 or so, I'd try on as many dresses as I could, then in the last 45, I'd try on the few that I narrowed it down to again.  Spending that kind of money, I can't imagine not trying on several, no matter what my reactions were to any of them, just in case.  I don't know--I guess I'm always afraid that no matter how much I might love a dress, there might be something better that I missed.

As for the other bride, personally, I liked the first one, although, I did think the slit was a little extreme and would have opted to close it up a little.  It did seem to fit her a bit oddly around the bust, but that's probably something that could be fixed during alterations. I did really like the one she chose, though, but my personal taste has always been more towards the cleaner look w/o a lot of fussy lace.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I like when they pan over and we see some of the other brides trying on dresses.  Sometimes I hit pause just to see what they're wearing! 

Me too. I'm thinking to myself- stop camerperson and let's watch that dress selection. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I don't know--I guess I'm always afraid that no matter how much I might love a dress, there might be something better that I missed.

Especially since it's usually the consultant who is pulling most of the dresses.  I'd like to wander through there and see them myself!  I can understand why they don't do that though.  Some brides would be there all day trying on dresses!

• Love 2
On 8/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, amarante said:

I was thinking to myself that Randy might have stayed in Florida to help with his mother. I think she is still alive and if he and she were careful with COVID restrictions, he might have wanted to really be available to limit her interactions with other people in terms of getting her food, prescriptions, taking her to necessary medical appointments etc. 

I'm pretty sure I read a Randy interview at the beginning of the season that basically said exactly this. Google's telling me she's 97 and had cancer last year, so as awkward as the iPad stuff is, I get it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I just checked out his website and I love so many that we never see on the show. Didn't Randy suggest the Bentley for this last bride?  It's part of his latest collection and I loved it.  I wish she would have tried it on.  I know we can't see every dress they try on, but it does seem like they only opt for 3.  The appointments are what? 90 minutes?  For the first 45 or so, I'd try on as many dresses as I could, then in the last 45, I'd try on the few that I narrowed it down to again.  Spending that kind of money, I can't imagine not trying on several, no matter what my reactions were to any of them, just in case.  I don't know--I guess I'm always afraid that no matter how much I might love a dress, there might be something better that I missed.

I think the assumption is that most brides would have been studying bridal magazines so would have a sense of what they are looking for in terms of style. I also assume you can go through dresses more quickly in an actual appointment. Wedding dresses are somewhat more ungainly in terms of trying on but I think most women can eliminate dresses instantaneously when they ar3 wrong.

Also - and this is just a surmise - I don’t know how many women would come from a great distance if they weren’t being filmed. I understand podunkville might not have a great bridal salon but surely they don’t have to fly in when Chicago, California, Dallas, Atlanta etc. would be closer. I don’t understand the logistics because I would want to try on a dress when it arrived and probably have all the alterations done where I bought the dress. 

So I am not sure whether all of these women actually buy a dress on the first visit after only trying on three. But I do understand how a really long appointment might make it difficult because one would get both mentally and physically exhausted. 

• Useful 2

I saw those and thought "Nothing says maturity like Super Mario tattoos." But she does indeed have fantastic hair.

I came across an article about a bride that had both a Western and Indian ceremony and was on TikTok, so thought it was a someone featured on this show. And no, it wasn't. But I'm going to link it anyway because there are lots of pictures of the dresses and her Western one is very similar to the ones many brides are picking on SYTTD, so I guess this is the current style trend? The lehenga looks amazing and so much better than the gown. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I saw those and thought "Nothing says maturity like Super Mario tattoos." But she does indeed have fantastic hair.

But she has three million followers for rolling her hair up in carrots? That has to be a sweet gig. I hope she's saving the money from it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

But she has three million followers for rolling her hair up in carrots? That has to be a sweet gig. I hope she's saving the money from it.

I did wonder exactly what kind of influence that would be. Is she being sponsored by the grocery lobby?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

As for the other bride, personally, I liked the first one, although, I did think the slit was a little extreme and would have opted to close it up a little.  It did seem to fit her a bit oddly around the bust, but that's probably something that could be fixed during alterations. I did really like the one she chose, though, but my personal taste has always been more towards the cleaner look w/o a lot of fussy lace.

Thought that the bride who liked the slit dress was beyond wanting to twerk at her wedding reception.

• Love 1
On 8/22/2021 at 6:46 PM, Fostersmom said:

Google's telling me she's 97 and had cancer last year, so as awkward as the iPad stuff is, I get it. 

Yeah, I hope she'll be okay.  It was sweet seeing him with his Mom at Kleinfeld's a few  years ago.  I went to his bridal website and he has some very pretty dresses on there.  There was one with a little cape attached to it.  You can take it off if you want to.  The idea of the sheer cape for a little coverage, but is flowy enough to move your arms around in appeals to me!  

It's always interesting to see the brides who arrive at Kleinfeld's with a specific dress in mind, but when they try it on, often times it doesn't look nearly as good on them as they had pictured it would be.  That would be so disappointing!  It's nice though when a bride is open to trying on different styles and finds a style that she didn't think would work on her body and it ends up being just right!   

• Love 4

Hi,

Watched an old 'Say yes to the dress NY ' yesterday.( I'm in the UK) think it was season 18.

The consultant had a custom made ( I think two) dresses by pinina.

Did anyone see the little girl in the dressing room with the friends and family.

I had to laugh .she was not impressed.and think production ousted her.

Any updates.

All the best Denise

Why do all the dresses tried tonight by the same sex brides (can't recall names) look pretty much the same?  I was half watching, and didn't even realize one was transgender. They seemed sweet. And Nashville bride, could your mom and sister be any less enthusiastic?  Sorry, don't buy the ugly duckling schlock. Kind of a boring epi.

• Love 3

It's interesting to see the changes in styles over the years.  No more excessive bling, cut outs with illusion fabric instead of dresses made with very little fabric, fewer mermaid styles (have we seen any yet?) and, OMG, sleeves!  The angst that caused right up through last season was next level.  Although I'd love to see different styles every week, I like the dresses better this season than the last 2 or 3.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

It's interesting to see the changes in styles over the years.  No more excessive bling, cut outs with illusion fabric instead of dresses made with very little fabric, fewer mermaid styles (have we seen any yet?) and, OMG, sleeves!  The angst that caused right up through last season was next level.  Although, I'd love to see different styles every week, I like the dresses better this season than the last 2 or 3.

After reading your comment I maneuvered over to Pnina Tornei's website and even she is no longer making the stripper fairy princess style gowns. There are a few overtly corseted styles and a few in which I imagine any skin that is showing would probably be lined when the actual dress is ordered.

Not that I was ever a particular fan of her dresses even when she was being heavily promoted in her heyday, but I think that her current styles are less appealing in the even that they are pretty generic and I think other brands are doing the current trends better. I can't imagine someone making a trek to Kleinfelds to get one of her gowns the way it was in the old days - of course that was somewhat hype but I do think that for better or worse her gowns were quite memorable. I didn't like them but I remember some of them versus all the ones that fade into the same. The other standout was a Lazlo which was fairly simple except for a really beautiful belt. As I recall that style was very popular in real life as well.

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

It's interesting to see the changes in styles over the years.  No more excessive bling, cut outs with illusion fabric instead of dresses made with very little fabric, fewer mermaid styles (have we seen any yet?) and, OMG, sleeves!  The angst that caused right up through last season was next level.  Although, I'd love to see different styles every week, I like the dresses better this season than the last 2 or 3.

Loved the long sleeves and high neckline.  Not a fan of having your boobs hanging out in your wedding dress.

• Love 4

I feel bad for thinking this but I thought Chloe (trans bride) would have looked much better in a more A-line style (with a lower waist as Randy said). I don't think that stuffed sausage-style silhouette she picked looks good on anyone who isn't crazy slender. I'm glad Chloe loved it, though.

• Love 8

Not that I was ever a particular fan of her dresses even when she was being heavily promoted in her heyday, but I think that her current styles are less appealing in the even that they are pretty generic and I think other brands are doing the current trends better.

I'm just the opposite.  Her 2022 Love Collection had several that I thought were stunning and there were very few of her older ones that I liked.

Transgender bride, bless her heart is still shaped like a man, boobs & all. Seemed like a really great person. And I did like the dress she chose. Her fiancée also chose a great gown. Jenny Tolman is an up & comer in Nashville. And she is very talented. I get the ugly duckling aspect of the episode. Her family demonstrated clearly why she struggled during her teens and why she still compares herself to her sister...I know about not being the favored child. She'll move away from that as time goes on and as long as her new hubby helps build that confidence. My 2nd marriage gave me such fabulous confidence. In his eyes I was perfect (even though we both know I'm not). 

Edited by CrazyMoon
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm just the opposite.  Her 2022 Love Collection had several that I thought were stunning and there were very few of her older ones that I liked.

My point is that now that she is no longer producing her "signature" style, other designers are doing the same type of dress as well if not better.

I am sure there are nice dresses in her line. Even before this she was doing some lovely dresses but those weren't the styles that were being showcased and that were completely distinctive.

• Useful 1