Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed with Randy's bridal collection since it seems so heavily Pnina inspired. But I guess he knows what sells nowadays and I think it was a smart move to create gowns that have the Stripper Fairy Look without Pnina's price-tag. Plus his designs are widely available and not exclusive to Kleinfeld's. I wonder how SHE feels about the competition! https://www.randyfenolibridal.com/lookbook/

• Love 2

I'm surprised so many of Randy's gowns are strapless, given that this look is clearly (and in my view, thankfully) on its way out.  I like his price point being in the range many brides can afford.  And the dresses seem to have a lot of style/design for the price -- IOW, they look more expensive than they apparently will be.

Found the nanny story refreshing.  As portrayed, it was a really nice thing to do.  I'd rather watch that than "colorless lady" any day.  

• Love 3

I disliked this show entirely. I'll explain...

-Randy's line being approved, of course, all scripted.  It's mostly Pnina inspired crap; the others are nothing new or interesting. I guess I just expected better from him, like he was going to bring back class, but that's (mostly) not what I see happening in his line. It's stripper fairy on a budget. Watch out Pnina- the claws will be coming out.

-I could do without knowing people like 'Colorless Bride' exist in this world. She's a horror.

-The nanny looked very uncomfortable. She even said she was now 'indebted' to her boss. It was a lot from an employer, & I wouldn't know what to do with that kind of personal involvement in my life either. I also question her motives - if they do have that kind of relationship, then she could've flown in bride's family & paid for the dress without making a spectacle of it on TV, which then became for boss' (& show ratings) benefit as well.

When/if I watch, it's now officially hate-watching.

• Love 6

I think Randy's bridal line will be very successful. He's been in the position to see first hand the trends the brides want and what sells. He can pick and choose elements inspired by other designers (and not just what we see over and over on TV) and put his own spin on the design while bringing it in at a more affordable price for many more brides. Personally, I'm not a fan of details like Pnina's see through corset, but Randy must know that many brides are looking for "Pnina Lite" knockoffs (which baffles ME, but that's besides the point) that will have a similar look without going over the "price point." Then there's the added bonus of not having to make a trip to NYC to purchase your dress. Pretty shrewd there, Randy! 

• Love 3

Did you see the death ray glare the no color bride gave in reaction to one of bridesmaids fainting.  She cleaned it up with the "is she ok?" but you could totally see it written on her face.  Poor fainting bridesmaid hands were shaking like a leaf.  Felt sorry for her.  No Shay Yeah!!  I enjoyed the nanny surprise and her dress was beautiful.    Loved seeing long haired Randy.  Love the way he dresses.  He is so damned dapper.  Was that his boyfriend at the end?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

could do without knowing people like 'Colorless Bride' exist in this world. She's a horror.

I saw about three minutes of her and that was enough.  Who the hell dresses in black, white and gray???  Good Lord the Fifty Shades jokes must come flying at her.

3 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

No Shay Yeah!!

Him and his sweaty armpits need to stay away.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Bride who hates color also sucks because her wedding dress looked exactly like every other dress they showed her wearing.

She kept saying how it was "bridal" but what was bridal about it?  It looked like her bridesmaid's dresses except for a white exploding bottom.  

Can't see her having kids.  They come in pink.  And what comes out of them is not normally black, white, or gray either.

• Love 6
On 1/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

The nanny dress was nice, but the nanny herself lacked camera charisma.

I loved the dress but I don't think it looked good on her at all. It overwhelmed her completely, and she herself bored me stiff.

54 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I don't think nanny was comfortable with all the attention, at all. It felt like it was more for her boss & the store than for her.

I agree but would throw out two points in mitigation.  First, if she loves the dress and feels special/beautiful in it, that's what's important.  Second, when you've said you were dying for this dress and your "boss" is paying for it in this type of employment relationship, you're probably reluctant to say, "Well, now that I have it on, I really don't like it.  Let's try on more."  It's maybe a slight downside of the (overall good) circumstance she found herself in. 

Once she gets a dress in her size, puts on makeup and a veil and some decent shoes, she probably will look fabulous. 

We can all debate the motives and whether the nanny was comfortable . . . but it seems like the mom/boss was trying to do a nice thing.  Sometimes good intentions don't turn out perfectly, but I at least applaud the effort to create a special and memorable day (at Kleinfeld's now and for the wedding later). 

• Love 6

Also, the nanny was ambushed and was never expecting to be at Kleinfeld's trying on wedding dresses that day. Most of the brides on the show arrive dressed up, with camera ready makeup and hair, know what they're going to say, and have brought the proper undergarments and shoes to try on bridal gowns. 

• Love 2

Exactly, that is what ran through my mind too for the Nanny.....I would have freaked out, you gotta have that strapless bra girlfriend (and maybe some high heels). But wow, what a nice thing to do for her, that was beyond the pale.  

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Most of the brides on the show arrive dressed up, with camera ready makeup and hair, know what they're going to say, and have brought the proper undergarments and shoes to try on bridal gowns. 

I felt sorry for her - it was a nice idea in theory but...

I know I have my everyday "working" undergarments and those that I wear when dressing up or trying on clothes. I'm sure she was in her normal nanny undies and not her good quality stuff.  How embarrassed she must have been which probably made her a lot more subdued than she really is.  I would be hiding in the dressing room!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

We can all debate the motives and whether the nanny was comfortable . . . but it seems like the mom/boss was trying to do a nice thing.  Sometimes good intentions don't turn out perfectly, but I at least applaud the effort to create a special and memorable day (at Kleinfeld's now and for the wedding later). 

I think the boss was from some home show - I don't follow those so had no idea who she was. But given she's on TV herself, it very much screams publicity, to me anyway.

25 minutes ago, camom said:

And apparently it doesn't take 6 months to get one of Randy's dresses, either.  Good for him.

I don't know how long he's been selling his line, but if it really takes off like other major designers my guess is it will probably result in longer order times. Or, maybe it will depend on the popularity of the particular dress ordered.

Edited by gonecrackers
43 minutes ago, camom said:

And apparently it doesn't take 6 months to get one of Randy's dresses, either.  Good for him.

I bet they will still try to ramp up the drama when a bride comes in to shop 3 or 4 months before her wedding but we now know that the bride can shop from Randy's collection. 

• Love 1

I wonder if the hiring of Shay and other business decisions made by Kleinfelds made Randy consider his long-term viability there.  If so, restarting his bridal collection would really ensure an ongoing income should his status change.  I caught the episode in which Randy was told that Shay was hired.  Dorothy was all "he's like the son I never had" and the co-owner of Kleinfelds gave him rave reviews and said that the brides loved him.  That, combined with Shay's rejection of any help from Randy, may have set off alarm bells.

I hope that Kleinfleds realizes how many viewers love Randy (including me!), and do whatever they can to keep him there.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Dorothy was all "he's like the son I never had"...

Well, hopefully sonny boy ran away from home.  And stays gone.  I could not believe they let him deal with brides in his sweaty gym clothes.  I wouldn't have bought a dishrag from him.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I hope that Kleinfleds realizes how many viewers love Randy (including me!), and do whatever they can to keep him there.

At his website, the "about" page says this:  (sic) "From 2007-2012 Randy worked as Fashion Director at New York’s Kleinfeld Bridal Salon where consulted with nearly 15,000 brides a year."

I imagine he's in the store now only on the days they're filming SYTTD, since I'm sure the producers know he has a fan following. 

I only caught the last five minutes of this episode (fainting bridesmaid), but I did manage to catch the officiant say "by the power invested  in me, I now pronounce you...). The correct word should be vested, or is it interchangable? Google seems to only recognize "vested in me. "

• Love 1

Why did they turn on the twin so much?  Many family members of previous brides have said so much worse.  I thought the first dress looked the best with the fake baby belly.  I felt bad for the dad as it really seemed like they ambushed him with the pregnancy news during filming.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Why did they turn on the twin so much? 

That whole thing was so bizarre and so uncomfortable.  There has to either some backstory (out of wedlock pregnancy scandal?) or a plan to have as much nasty drama as possible.  Or they truly hate each other. We've seen unkind remarks but these were over the top ridiculous.  I hated that nasty twin so much and that kiss-kiss, make up, really love you was just unbelievable.

• Love 3

Glacier wedding: the peek-a-boo dress with light flowing fabric worn with clunky studded rubber boots was ridiculous. Her skin was beet red from the wind and the cold, the dress was misshapen, almost looking like it was being shredded, by a merciless gale. She picked a lovely dress in the shop, but in the context of the wedding, it turned into a shapeless rag. What she really needed is some solid fabric and a white cape with fur lining, or a faux fur stole...

Oh and by the way, love is a powerful emotion, but it's not a cosmic event deserving of disappointment if it happens in the forest rather than on a glacier.

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Oh and by the way, love is a powerful emotion, but it's not a cosmic event deserving of disappointment if it happens in the forest rather than on a glacier.

I know she had a compelling back story but it just ranks right up there with the rest of those who insist that the wedding is the be-all-end-all in life.  It's just the first day of a marriage.  That's what you should be concentrating on, not that 24 hours that will be a small blip in the radar in a few years.

And the definition of elope is "to run away secretly". You are not eloping if everyone you know is aware of it and you are on national TV.  And I find that to be strangely selfish - cut everyone who means anything in your life out of such an important occasion.  All that money for a few minutes with an officiating stranger (well, and a camera crew) and that's it?  So after the wedding, what?  Go back and have a nice dinner together and watch TV?   

My cousin's daughter did that she she regretted it because she died only a few years later while in her 20's.  And her parents never got to share in that joyous moment.  To this day, it hurts.

• Love 5
On 1/14/2018 at 0:42 PM, Kohola3 said:

And I find that to be strangely selfish - cut everyone who means anything in your life out of such an important occasion. 

My mother once told me that she'd pay me cold hard cash (10K) if I eloped instead of having a wedding*. I don't know if she still means it or not, but if I'm ever at the point in life where I am getting married, I'd seriously consider eloping even without the promise of cash. Or at least doing something at the JP with something like 5 people, max. It's part of why I watch this show (or used to, I find myself skipping it more and more lately) and why I used to watch Bridezillas - I find it entertainingly absurd that some people get so wound up about *the*DRESS* and *the cake* and their fantasy venue and everything that has to be perfect and thousands of dollars. Weddings are selfish in their own way too, even if one is not a bridezilla. (And I find nothing wrong with being selfish sometimes - attempting to be selfless all the time just gets people walked on and pleases no one)

*We were whisper-bitching to each other at my cousin's wedding. That probably had a lot to do with the comment. They (the bride, most likely) insisted on it being outdoors, with no shade, in the middle of the afternoon, in 100+ degree central Texas heat in late July when it's humid as fuck. They also insisted we all dress up AKA clothes that don't breathe well. They at least provided a few bottles of water but I thought I was going to get heat stroke.  She wore an ill-fitted strapless dress, in white, dragging it through the clay dirt. Those are the only two things I remember about the wedding. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ArcticWolfRS said:

Or at least doing something at the JP with something like 5 people, max.

I totally agree that the whole wedding thing is just totally whacked and it turns everyone into monsters or quivering jelly.  My cousin had a wedding with 40 people that was delightful - intimate, everyone visiting and having a great time. No band, no throwing the garter, none of that.  Just a really nice meal and a quiet time to spend with people you love.  That one has always been memorable to me for it's easy vibes.  

• Love 6

While I was sympathetic to Glacier Bride's cancer history and also thought it was lovely that her health team was with her to choose a dress, I really did not care for her very much.  Her need to show how "fit" she is now and how hard she works out at the gym I'm sure was a result of what she'd been through, but it smacked of obsession to me.  She lacked in warmth, which I guess fit perfectly with her desire to marry on a big giant ice cube.

Coincidentally, This past week I was wedding dress shopping with my daughter and she tried on one of the dresses that Glacier Bride  also tried and neither chose.  To us the dress looked like a table cloth and wasn't flattering at all.  My daughter did end up finding the perfect dress for her and there is an order time of 4-6 months.  We definitely didn't pay anything near Kleinfield prices either and it was even lower than the prices for Randy's gown, but still has lovely details like Swarovski crystals on the straps.  It will be perfect for her destination wedding in Costa Rica this summer. 

• Love 9

I know this make me seem out of touch, but the fact that Kleinfeld’s has so many pregnant brides that they have fake “baby bump” speaks volumes about the decline of our society. 

Does anyone believe that Plastic Fantastic Michelle is a real consultant?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

I know this make me seem out of touch, but the fact that Kleinfeld’s has so many pregnant brides that they have fake “baby bump” speaks volumes about the decline of our society. 

No, I don't agree that pregnant brides are the decline of our society, nor their grooms.  Hell, my grandmother was a pregnant bride in 1926.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Hell, my grandmother was a pregnant bride in 1926.

Did she have a big white wedding with a dozen attendants and a $50,000 reception?  My grandmother was as well but they got married in a quiet, simple ceremony.

• Love 2

I didn't like cancer bride either; am happy for her success of course, but thought it weird & slighting to her family to bring her health team. Surely someone in her family supported her, but they got bumped in everything. IMO, that was cold, & the wedding stupid. I hated her dress too.

The twins need to control themselves; what a couple of performers. I have to doubt she didn't tell them ahead; this seemed all for the show. She looked horrible in every dress; does no one ever even consider an empire if they're pregnant?  One very preg bride did on the show & she looked nice. If you're going to marry while big pregnant then face it, you just can't have the dress of your dreams. (gag)

43 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

I thought both consultants looked awful. That dress Lisa was wearing was not flattering at all; showed every bump (fugly shoes too). Michelle looked like she belonged at the club (or somewhere else 'working').  They were both totally inappropriate & IMO, they both seem very fake & very 'on' for the show.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5

Surely someone in her family supported her, but they got bumped in everything. 

I wonder if she was hoping that here story and entourage would score her a free dress. It's happened before.

• Love 3

Michelle's dress was inappropriate for work, and she's chesty enough that she should be, to put it delicately, wearing an undergarment that provides more support. 

I, too, thought both brides were rather annoying. If that wedding was what glacier bride wanted, then fine. Hell, she even got to have her wedding on TV. But I would've offered the minister a warm drink or a glass of wine during their toast since she'd been standing out there at least as long as the bride and groom.

Please tell me pregnant bride's decision to delay the wedding and get back into shape doesn't mean she'll be back on the show again. 

Since Randy's line has been out for 6 months or so now, it's kind of silly for the show to try to make us think those dress arrivals are happening in anything that resembles real time. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 4
On 1/16/2018 at 7:30 AM, Kohola3 said:

I totally agree that the whole wedding thing is just totally whacked and it turns everyone into monsters or quivering jelly.  My cousin had a wedding with 40 people that was delightful - intimate, everyone visiting and having a great time. No band, no throwing the garter, none of that.  Just a really nice meal and a quiet time to spend with people you love.  That one has always been memorable to me for it's easy vibes.  

Were you at my wedding?  Sounds like mine last October but we had 42 people.  There was a chill yet loving vibe.  

On 1/16/2018 at 0:55 PM, eclectcmoi said:

She lacked in warmth, which I guess fit perfectly with her desire to marry on a big giant ice cube.

This made me laough out loud!!!

Re: Shay:  I am as mellow as it comes in regards to shopping.  I am like, whatever.  But if I was in Kleinfelds and Sweaty Armpits Man in his Under Armor and tennis shoes came out I would be like, "Are you for real?  Take a shower, put on a suit and tie.....this is KLEINFELD'S!"  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2
On 1/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, shksabelle said:

I know what you're saying in terms of pregnant brides.  Women have been getting pregnant before marriage since the dawn of time, but in the past, there was an embarrassment about it, there was shame attached.  My grandmother was 2 months pregnant when she got married, but families tried to hide it and there were lots of "premature" babies.   When I was in high school, one girl got pregnant in junior year, and disappeared---there was a home for unwed mothers in our city, and that's where every girl went---and you never went back to your original school.  High schools never allowed pregnant girls to stay in school, but now, we have schools specifically for them. Back then, there was an unspoken moral code, but now, with so many celebrities going the reverse route of getting pregnant first and maybe marriage second, it's become acceptable, almost a badge of pride, to have a bun in the oven.  

I cannot stomach that Michelle, and cannot understand how she was ever hired.  Maybe she's the daughter of a friend of the owners.  Regardless, she's one I can't watch. 

• Love 6
On 1/16/2018 at 0:59 PM, shksabelle said:

But what’s the alternative? Would people prefer that pregnant women not get married at all? Be ashamed of the babies? Wait until the kids can be in the bridal party? There have always been pregnant brides and they’re always will be. 

BTW, My mom was pregnant at her wedding. She and my father will celebrate their 50th Anniversay next month. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 4