Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

13 episodes sounds like a return to the seven season idea the showrunners had, but split in two seasons so that HBO gets its wish too and makes more money. I guess this season's finale could really be a bloodbath.

I'm OK with it, I would like to see at least an extension of the running time, this had to be a grind of a job and I appreciate what they did.

I also don't mind if the journey is different as long as they stay true to Martin's final results.

Spoiling the end doesn't bother me; as George put a good portion of it on his self, and I'm near his age so I like to know how it ends good, bad or somewhere in between.

• Love 1

Well, HBO, but technically goat comedy Sex and the City had an expanded marketed-as-two-part season first.

I'm sorry, are you calling this a 'goat comedy', as in a comedy about or starring goats or are you calling this a 'GOAT comedy' as in one of the best? 'Cause either one confuses me.
  • Love 1

I suspected that if we were getting an eighth season, it would result in shorter seasons for Season 7 and 8.  I'm fine with it.  I think it definitely needs a little more than 20 to wrap up things but not 30.  I'm not a fan of waiting another year but hey, at least this is a shorter wait than with the books and there WILL be an end date.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, are you calling this a 'goat comedy', as in a comedy about or starring goats or are you calling this a 'GOAT comedy' as in one of the best? 'Cause either one confuses me.

Haters gonna hate.

On the Writers Guild of America's list of best written shows ever, it placed above GoT, for what it's worth.

https://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/a/31334917/kit-harington-starring-on-game-of-thrones-was-lonely/

Talking about his departure from the series, he said: "Look, I'm not in the show any more, I'm definitely not in the show. I filmed scenes of me being dead. It's some of my best work. I know how long I'm a corpse for, but I am a corpse."

And if there's one thing we've never seen on Game of Thrones, it's a walking corpse.

• Love 1

I am cool with shorter final seasons if they give the show a proper ending. I don't want to be left hanging or an ending that makes no sense so that the book ending remains mysterious. Just tell the whole story completely and well.

Edited by SimoneS

I just think that if there are only 13 episodes it's best to air those episodes together instead of breaking them up into two seasons (or seasons part 1 and 2). Usually when something like this is done they actually film all of the episodes before the seventh season and then withhold airing the final episodes until the next year. This allows the network to get an extra year out of the series and it also means they don't need to renegotiate with the actors for an eighth season because it's technically part of the seventh season just aired a year later. If they need the extra time to film (as in an entire year not just a few extra months because then they could just delay season seven until the summer and air the episodes together) then by all means delay the final six episodes but this would be a departure from what other shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad have done in the past. 

New teaser out:

HBO has dropped fresh footage in our laps, courtesy of this new teaser. It’s only thirty seconds long, but it has some new shots, including glimpses of Ellaria and TWO Targaryen knights this time!

UK viewers: does anyone know if Thronecast will be on again this year? It's not showing up on my TV listing or on the Sky Atlantic website or any other social media I looked at, yet I found another site that is claiming to be offering tickets to the tapings. It used to be a cringeworthy disaster, but I liked the addition of Sue Perkins last year and would be sad to lose it. Anyone have information? 

Six episodes?

Why fucking bother?

The way D&D explained it, they can only manage 10 episodes per season due to the production schedule. On top of that, they feel an obligation to keep delivering more in every subsequent season, which means bigger, trickier, more complicated set pieces like Hardhome that take multiple weeks to set up and film. D&D said that they could barely squeak out 10 episodes for Season 6, so if they're going to raise the stakes even more for Season 7, either they curtail the number of episodes, or they extend the production season and push back the release date into maybe the fall of 2017 and beyond. HBO would likely balk at the latter, since it would mean among other things losing an Emmy season, so the former it is.

That's a cute interview from Sophie. I liked this:

What happens on set when someone dies?
There's always a lot of drinks at the bar. But by now we're so used to it. We used to have big things when other people died. But there's so many people who die now, we're like, "Can't really afford it, man. We've been out every night."

Lol.

The way D&D explained it, they can only manage 10 episodes per season due to the production schedule. On top of that, they feel an obligation to keep delivering more in every subsequent season, which means bigger, trickier, more complicated set pieces like Hardhome that take multiple weeks to set up and film. D&D said that they could barely squeak out 10 episodes for Season 6, so if they're going to raise the stakes even more for Season 7, either they curtail the number of episodes, or they extend the production season and push back the release date into maybe the fall of 2017 and beyond. HBO would likely balk at the latter, since it would mean among other things losing an Emmy season, so the former it is.

Didn't D&D also maintain for awhile that they only intended to do 7 seasons? But HBO is obviously reluctant to let go of their flagship show, especially since they don't seem to have an obvious successor in the pipeline*. I guess this was the compromise?

*I wonder if Vinyl was supposed to be that successor? If so, the underwhelming response from both critics and audiences would make them even more reluctant to lose this show. There was also True Detective, but the Season 2 floppage put the brakes on that. And The Leftovers has been fairly well-received critically, but the ratings aren't very good. So yeah, outside of GoT, HBO's drama lineup is pretty thin right now.

Edited by AshleyN

Didn't D&D also maintain for awhile that they only intended to do 7 seasons? But HBO is obviously reluctant to let go of their flagship show, especially since they don't seem to have an obvious successor in the pipeline*. I guess this was the compromise?

We don't know if the 13 is the actual results of a compromise or just D&D's pressure tactic to get out of having to do 20+ more episodes. With that said, I find it hard to believe that they haven't already planned out season 7, so if they're saying seven episodes now for Season 7, that seems like the sort of thing that's unlikely to be walked back at this point. If HBO threw a hissyfit about a shortened season, it was likely several months ago.

Well, Westworld has potential if done right. 

The gossip is that the Westworld series production is a trainwreck. The production shutdown in January was not a good sign. HBO will likely want to cling more tightly to GOT if Westworld fails. Ultimately, though, there is no show without D&D, so a compromise of two short seasons as opposed to one more full season might be the only thing that works.

Alternately, maybe they could look into doing some prequel stuff a la "Robert's Rebellion" or the Dunk & Egg material as a way to 'extend' the series? Sure it'd be all new actors and a different time period, but they could re-use a number of the shooting locations and sets and if D&D want to be done, they could always bring in a new creative team for those projects. That'd buy them a couple more years to develop a replacement for GoT.

Alternately, maybe they could look into doing some prequel stuff a la "Robert's Rebellion" or the Dunk & Egg material as a way to 'extend' the series? Sure it'd be all new actors and a different time period, but they could re-use a number of the shooting locations and sets and if D&D want to be done, they could always bring in a new creative team for those projects. That'd buy them a couple more years to develop a replacement for GoT.

I hope GRRM makes it so no one ever touches his ASOIAF work again especially not D&D. GOT has not been a good adaption.

The gossip is that the Westworld series production is a trainwreck. The production shutdown in January was not a good sign. HBO will likely want to cling more tightly to GOT if Westworld fails. Ultimately, though, there is no show without D&D, so a compromise of two short seasons as opposed to one more full season might be the only thing that works.

Some productions seem to be trainwrecks after things like budget and schedule overruns, but then become huge hits. Avatar, Titanic, and arguably Game of Thrones itself - they reshot the pilot with some major changes in cast and crew and locations. 

Of course, most trainwrecks are just that. 

So Sophie wants Arya to take her out!

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/193867/the-morning-after-with-gots-emilia-sophie-nikolaj-and-maisie

I just got home from work, and I'm wondering if : 1 Sophie knows her ending or 2: she's trolling the hell out of us; the Arya killing Sansa is one that's been making the rounds for years.

Note that she also says she wants it to be in the final episode of the series so that the entire ending will be devoted to the tragedy of her death.

So, given Sophie's personality in general I'm going with 2... trolling the hell out of us and loving every second of it.

• Love 1

Note that she also says she wants it to be in the final episode of the series so that the entire ending will be devoted to the tragedy of her death.

So, given Sophie's personality in general I'm going with 2... trolling the hell out of us and loving every second of it.

Maybe she's been on and thinks my speculation is the most exciting and chilling outcome Sansa and Arya could have, and is just riffing on it for fun, trolling us. Either that or I somehow guessed it. I'm afraid I may be the one who started that particular one making the rounds.

You're right, they have had more larger, epic-scale set pieces in recent seasons, compared to the first couple of seasons when you didn't see such scenes or a lot of effects.  But isn't it interesting that those first two seasons drew in the huge following that GoT has now and may still be among the best seasons?

When HBO green lighted Rome, it was the most expensive series at the time.  They built elaborate sets in Italy and yet, they could not show the huge battles, just showed the aftermath of some of them.  Eventually HBO had to cancel after two seasons and one of the reasons was the cost.  Maybe if that show got the boffo ratings GoT does, they'd have continued and upped the budget to do show grand battles.

• Love 1

When HBO green lighted Rome, it was the most expensive series at the time.  They built elaborate sets in Italy and yet, they could not show the huge battles, just showed the aftermath of some of them.  Eventually HBO had to cancel after two seasons and one of the reasons was the cost.  Maybe if that show got the boffo ratings GoT does, they'd have continued and upped the budget to do show grand battles.

Funny you should mention that. I think a Rome alumnus bitterly complained about GOT, since they blamed GOT for Rome's cancellation (and sucking away the budget that Rome would have had). I think it's safe to say that there would be no GOT were it not for Rome, not maybe so much for the money GOT received, but for Rome paving the way for HBO doing big-budget epic genre drama.

Interesting that GOT started out much as Rome did: showing the aftermath of battles instead of the battles themselves. It's a quiet testament to GOT's budget skyrocketing that we're now getting huge battles with thousands of extras being shown on screen.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Advance35 said:

For Lack of A Better Term, Jumping the Shark

I thought this was a very interesting article and it's an idea I support to a degree.

I liked it too, especially these: 

This is not a case of a hit TV show being unwilling to let go of its darlings; this entire shift, from a world where any hero could die to one full of second chances, is entirely the work of George R.R. Martin. The deaths of Tywin, Joffrey, Oberyn, the Hound (maybe), Catleyn, and Robb Stark all took place in the third book, A Storm of Swords (2000). That novel is the last one most readers agree felt like a truly strong installment in A Song of Ice and Fire. The two subsequent books, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, have essentially marked time while Arya and Bran Stark grow up, fast-forwarding through an adolescence Martin wanted to skip and padding out a story that was originally meant to be a trilogy. Unfortunately, the narrative has gotten a lot more conventional while we wait for those kids to grow, and the TV adaptation only continues to reveal how many stories from those books are ultimately irrelevant.

and

Even book readers are only speculating, but it seems like the Westerosi saga is moving away from the knotty political intrigue of King’s Landing (how irrelevant does that plot feel this year?) toward a showdown between Jon’s ice zombies from the North and Daenerys’s fire-breathing dragons from the East. Ice zombies versus dragons isn’t exactly the political game of thrones most of us signed up for.

Martin cites Tolkien as his biggest influence in crafting A Song of Ice and Fire, and hopefully that means he’ll remember that when it came to a big clash between good and evil at the edge of the world, The Lord of the Rings focused in on the friendship, loyalty, and frailty of two humble Hobbits. Fantasy sagas are stronger when their conclusions skew smaller, not bigger, and it’s the human(ish) characters who can be hurt and humbled, not a titanic clash between mythical beasts, that make the wheels turn.

Because, yup.

• Love 1