Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved Spotlight, but I honestly don't know why Rachel McAdams got nominated for it.  She's good, but I didn't walk away from the movie thinking she deserved special recognition.

Um...include me in wondering what the point of the scrolling thanks is when people are going to thank everyone anyway.

Edited by wallflower75
  • Love 2

Talk about the project, about their experiences, say a general "so many people made this happen and gave me this shot" or tell an anecdote about their involvement, or a story about how it felt to writethesong/rewriteascript/layinthecold/meetahero/fightforthe part.  Basically ANYTHING else!  The scroll is a fabulous idea.

My comment was in response to the suggestion that they don't give a speech at all. I agree it's more interesting to not just list names in the speech.

The best supporting actress clips just showed that Rachel McAdams didn't really have a shot. Her scene was so undramatic compared to the others.

• Love 3

Missed out on Steve Jobs, but that clip alone made me go "Yep, that's totally a Sorkin screenplay!"  His dialogue style is recognizable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Good for Alicia Vikander; she had quite the year.  I do wonder if her performance in Ex Machima helped give her the edge.

• Love 1

I loved Spotlight, but I honestly don't know why Rachel McAdams got nominated for it.  She's good, but I didn't walk away from the movie thinking she deserved special recognition.

Um...include me in wondering what the point of the scrolling thanks is when people are going to thank everyone anyway.

As I had never seen The Notebook, I cannot count it, but I liked McAdams all the way back a decade-plus ago in the Canadian TV series Slings & Arrows and nothing else has really resonated for me since. (I didn't see True Detective Season 2, either!)

I know this is not the Globes and, ergo, fun is almost verboten here, but I need SOMEONE to be drunk and say something off the wall, or fall, or SOMETHING. This is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Where is Dave Grohl?

At least with the Grammys I had Hamilton to look forward to.

• Love 2

Holy lord, that Stacey Dash bit.  For once, I couldn't blame Chrissy Teagen making a weird face.

I need Kerry Washington and Henry Cavill to do a movie together because they're both so damn pretty.

I don't mind the little notes about the presenters, but the "thank you" scroll seems like a waste of time.

LOL @ Cate Blanchett being in two of the films nominated for Best Costume.  Glad Mad Max won it, though.

• Love 3

Where is Dave Grohl?

At least with the Grammys I had Hamilton to look forward to.

Saw him on the red carpet.  Drinking shots from a tiny red solo cup.  I think I posted the link a couple pages back, but I started drinking as soon as I saw him, so... :-)

• Love 1

Saw him on the red carpet.  Drinking shots from a tiny red solo cup.  I think I posted the link a couple pages back, but I started drinking as soon as I saw him, so... :-)

Always start drinking when you see Dave Grohl. I think that should be a rule.

• Love 5

I thought Chris Rock did a great job with the monologue. I liked the bit where different black actors showed up in some of the nominated movies. The Stacy Dash bit was horrible/awkward. I thought maybe someone was going to imitate her but then she really appeared and eek! Sara Silverman = Not funny. Tina Fey is(so far) my best dressed for tonight. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 3

In The Tudors, he was scorching hot.  Sans facial hair, merely devastatingly handsome.

Bringing back good times, he's the only reason I stuck with that show all the way to the end.

Mad Max is doing pretty good, could an upset for the big award be in the works?

Edited by jah1986
  • Love 2

I will be at my table for one for not liking Mad Max Fury Road. I just am not a fan and I feel like I should be since so many people loved it.

Make room for me, please--I'll bring the cookies.  I tried to like this movie, honestly!  I just couldn't.

Edited by wallflower75
  • Love 3

1. I don't understand the Dave Grohl jokes. Please explain.

2. It's not that he scars my retinas or anything, but I  don't think Henry Cavill is exceptionally hot. My table for one is adjacent to the Not in Love with Mad Max table if you're looking for a place to sit.

• Love 2