Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Laughter does not always equate to finding something funny. 

i have had what I would describe as nervous laughter on more than one occasion and all of those times were where I was in an uncomfortable situation. 

Since I am not a mind reader (if only), I am not going to presume or assume what was going through Will’s mind. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Jim Carrey for the win. 

He made valid points. I've seen many complaints about the actors giving Smith a standing ovation. Still it's sad this is all I'm hearing about in regards to the Oscars. 

• Love 4

I don't know.  Jim said he'd sue for 200 million dollars for a slap?  To what, get laughed out of court?

And unless he was in the room, I think it's hard to know what he would have reacted to something that seemed like it was confusing even for those who saw it on TV.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't know.  Jim said he'd sue for 200 million dollars for a slap?  To what, get laughed out of court?

And unless he was in the room, I think it's hard to know what he would have reacted to something that seemed like it was confusing even for those who saw it on TV.

Yeah, it’s super easy to play Monday morning quarter back when you aren’t there.

and I forget who mentioned it upthread, but absolutely no one is saying Chris should apologize to Will. No one. However, I do think Jada is owed an apology, and I stand by that. YMMV 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm so glad you view Will's actions as assault because that was what they were. Throw in battery as well. When I said it doesn't matter what has happened before, I meant that this incident is now. The Academy needs to address it. Due to recently adopted bylaws, it is even more important that they address this incident with meaningful consequences.  

When people say nothing should be done because other issues haven't been addressed, it's excuse-making. When people try to find justification for Will's behavior because the joke was poor, that's excuse-making. Laying any of the blame at Chris Rock's feet is wrong. Will's actions are on him and him alone. 

Perhaps, if the Academy does address this incident with any meaningful consequences, they will also review those others you have listed, and they should. 

Especially as what Will did was a complete disrespect for the Academy.  He did it on their stage.  He ruined their show.  And they recently revised their by-laws.

As for those that think Chris Rock deserved to be punched - he made a rude joke that anyone born in the 90s wouldn't understand.  He's dated and the joke was lame.  If Smith hadn't punched him - no one would have remembered him the next day.  No one.  But now I have heard that his ticket prices have tripled.  He's doing a couple of shows in Boston this week.  It ended up being good press for Chris.  He kept his cool and was professional in how he responded to being punched.  

Smith really should not have been allowed to have stayed and make a speech.  And make himself to be a victim on top of it.  It was nauseating.

And I am sure the Williams sisters were not happy with him either.  Smith showed complete disrespect for their father.

• Love 24

Does anyone think as I do that Jessica Chastain really really really looks like Bryce Dallas Howard? Both lovely ladies, as well. I read that Will said in his book that he has had many girlfriends, and yet treated Jada like crap when she had one affair, in their open marriage, so obvs he doesn't see himself as a cheater. Pure rationalization.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, susannah said:

Does anyone think as I do that Jessica Chastain really really really looks like Bryce Dallas Howard? Both lovely ladies, as well. I read that Will said in his book that he has had many girlfriends, and yet treated Jada like crap when she had one affair, in their open marriage, so obvs he doesn't see himself as a cheater. Pure rationalization.

I think she looks a bit like Christina Hendricks.

Getty_ChristinaHendricks.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, susannah said:

Does anyone think as I do that Jessica Chastain really really really looks like Bryce Dallas Howard?

Yes, they’ve talked on Graham Norton about how they are confused for the other all the time.  Jessica said one time she passed Ron Howard and then heard him say, “I think I just saw my daughter walk past.”  😁

• LOL 17
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, susannah said:

Yes.  They talk about being mistaken for each other on the Graham Norton show.  I think BDH tells a story that it even happened before they became famous when they were NYC at the same time.  I think BDH was at NYU at the time.

• Love 5

Can I just say, even though this past Oscars may very well be her last appearance in Hollywood, unless she gets lined up for a new HW movie, that it was a pleasure to have Youn Yuh-Jung the past two years, and if the Academy is able to, invite her over and over again to their telecast? My gosh, I still can't get over that really, really sweet moment of her signing to Troy his win, and offering to hold his trophy so he could sign his acceptance speech with both hands. It seems like her natural maternal instincts just took over to protect him and make sure he's ok. It's a shame that the sweetest moment in recent Oscars is overshadowed by the Will Smith incident.

Also, I know she played off for laughs about her complaining that her name was mispronounced the entire awards circuit last year and so now she's experiencing karma in having to pronounce hard names as she is presenting. But it speaks to the real truth about how for us Americans, or English speaking people, names like hers, Bong Joon Ho, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Joachim Trier, etc.,  sounds so foreign and hard to pronounce, not to mention that a lot of Americans are not aware that by calling her Youn or director Bong, Bong, that they're actually calling them by their last names and not their given first names. But we often forget, due to our own selfish, arrogant bubble, that it's exactly the same way for them as well. What we thought a name as "easy" to pronounce like Jesse Plemons may be very foreign sounding to someone like her, and therefore, she would struggle pronouncing it. A lot of people may not realize that there's a hard truth in that joke she said.  

• Love 12
57 minutes ago, susannah said:

Does anyone think as I do that Jessica Chastain really really really looks like Bryce Dallas Howard? Both lovely ladies, as well.

There was a two-part joke on the Hollywood satire Bojack Horseman (funniest TV series of the last ten years). In one episode, a character says, "A doctor heals. A DJ spins. Jessica Chastain takes whatever gig Amy Adams says no to." Later, a different character says, "A doctor heals. A DJ spins. Bryce Dallas Howard takes the gigs Jessica Chastain says no to."

(Come to think of it, one of those characters was guest-voiced by Wanda Sykes.) 

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, susannah said:

I disagree. The Oscars aren't a judge and jury, to "punish every performer who has done something wrong. as far as that goes, if anyone goes there, many of those who have done something wrong have not not been tried and found guilty in a court of law. So the difference is that Smith committed this act in full view of everyone, at the venue. Therefore, HE should have severe consequences.

I think it’s also important to keep in mind that The Academy leadership changes frequently. Each person can serve for a maximum of 4 three year terms with a mandatory two year gap in the middle. A lot of them had nothing to do with those decisions in the past. If they decide to give Smith more severe consequences I’m not going to hold the lack of consequences in the past against them. They should judge this situation on its merit and not be afraid to act because of bad decisions in the past. Most of them also would have had nothing to do with the decision made during the broadcast. I will be curious to see if any of them talk. There are some interesting names on the list like Laura Dern, Whoopi Goldberg, Rita Wilson, Ava Duverney and Steven Spielberg. It is actually a much more diverse list than I expected. 

Whoopi did talk about it on The View and it is interesting to read. I tend to agree with her except on not kicking him out. At least it explains the reasoning and who made that decision. 

7 hours ago, susannah said:

I disagree. The Oscars aren't a judge and jury, to "punish every performer who has done something wrong. as far as that goes, if anyone goes there, many of those who have done something wrong have not not been tried and found guilty in a court of law. So the difference is that Smith committed this act in full view of everyone, at the venue. Therefore, HE should have severe consequences.

Although we can savor the irony that people are using THE EXACT INCIDENTS that were cited to put the Academy's Rules of Conduct in place to argue that the Academy should not enforce it's Rules of Conduct.  Why did they even bother to put them into place if they were not going to enforce them?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Although we can savor the irony that people are using THE EXACT INCIDENTS that were cited to put the Academy's Rules of Conduct in place to argue that the Academy should not enforce it's Rules of Conduct.  Why did they even bother to put them into place if they were not going to enforce them?

I just read them and they say that they are "categorically opposed to any form of abuse, harassment or discrimination." Smith's actions definitely violate that. In regard to the others from the MeToo movement, I did notice that an accusation or accusations were all it takes for people to lose their jobs and careers, some accusations from decades ago.  No formal charges, no trial, no conviction. If someone has committed a crime, the accusers should have to file charges against them. If they didn't commit crimes but acts of big jerkiness, no one should be able to publicly accuse, to be tried in the court of public opinion, with zero proof.  "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law..." So while it is reprehensible what those people have done, Polanski, Woody Allen, Weinstein, the Academy should not be able to take back their Oscars until they have been tried and convicted. Millions of people saw what Will did, which not only hurt Chris but demonstrated that people are not safe at these events, unless the hammer drops on Will.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Yes, they’ve talked on Graham Norton about how they are confused for the other all the time.  Jessica said one time she passed Ron Howard and then heard him say, “I think I just saw my daughter walk past.”  😁

Wow! Would it be possible for any kind person to post pics of the two of them side by side? I'm not sure how to do that.

44 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Sure, it was confusing, but the standing O was still gross IMO. Not all winners get that, and it wasn't necessary. If you're unsure if you just witnessed WS commit assault than give normal applause. And what was even more egregious was the standing O after the speech. After his speech, there shouldn't have been any confusion about whether the incident was real or fake. There certainly seemed to be plenty of people - Denzel, Tyler, Bradley - who suspected it wasn't a stunt since they went to Smith to coddle him as if he was the one who had been slapped.

And what the heck was that bit about Will saying that Denzel told him that "when you're nearing the top, the devil comes for you" (or something like that)?! Like seriously, he was the victim there?! Like Chris Rock is out to get him just because he was the night's frontrunner?! I enjoy the Oscars as much as the next movie fan, but my golly, I can see why it's turned off a lot of people over the years. These people feel too important and take themselves too seriously.

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

And what the heck was that bit about Will saying that Denzel told him that "when you're nearing the top, the devil comes for you" (or something like that)?! Like seriously, he was the victim there?! Like Chris Rock is out to get him just because he was the night's frontrunner?! I enjoy the Oscars as much as the next movie fan, but my golly, I can see why it's turned off a lot of people over the years. These people feel too important and take themselves too seriously.

I just read what Whoopi said, and it is as appalling as what Will did. She kept saying that he is going to get "big consequences," but said he is not going to lose his Oscar, be banned from the academy, right on down to saying that it would be wrong to take a black man out of the Oscars!! What does Will's race have to do with the fact that he committed a crime? I am fairly sure that if a white man had hit a black comedian, Whoopi would have been fine having him taken out. I guess Whoopi's "big consequences" are to send Will to his room for an hour. I read the comments, and more silliness about Jada being "bullied." People use words they don't even know the meaning of anymore.

6 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Bryce is on the left

image.jpeg

Thank you! They could totally be the same person!

• Love 8

Can't stop thinking about the irony of Will's speech, in which he talks about having to take abuse... and what had he just done moments before? Slapped Chris.

I've had to shake my head at times, especially in line at the grocery store... watching parents smack their child (usually on the head) after the child had misbehaved (hit their sibling), yelling, "don't hit your little brother/sister!"

Humans are such a mess. We should be more like our animal friends... just snarl, hiss/bark and then either bite the irritation in the head - maybe eat them for dinner - or walk away.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, susannah said:

In regard to the others from the MeToo movement, I did notice that an accusation or accusations were all it takes for people to lose their jobs and careers, some accusations from decades ago.  No formal charges, no trial, no conviction. If someone has committed a crime, the accusers should have to file charges against them. If they didn't commit crimes but acts of big jerkiness, no one should be able to publicly accuse, to be tried in the court of public opinion, with zero proof.  "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law..." So while it is reprehensible what those people have done, Polanski, Woody Allen, Weinstein, the Academy should not be able to take back their Oscars until they have been tried and convicted. Millions of people saw what Will did, which not only hurt Chris but demonstrated that people are not safe at these events, unless the hammer drops on Will.

Innocent until proven guilty is purely a legal standard and it has zero bearing on any of this. Technically, under that standard Will Smith is still innocent. Also, Polanski and Weinstein are both guilty by that standard. None of that protects people from that natural consequences of shitty behavior. Just from a practical standpoint the legal system would have to improve significantly for it to be a definitive standard to judge people. All it determines is if people are going to face legal consequences. I often feel like what is considered proof varies greatly depending on how much we like people. 

4 minutes ago, susannah said:

I just read what Whoopi said, and it is as appalling as what Will did. She kept saying that he is going to get "big consequences," but said he is not going to lose his Oscar, be banned from the academy, right on down to saying that it would be wrong to take a black man out of the Oscars!! What does Will's race have to do with the fact that he committed a crime? I am fairly sure that if a white man had hit a black comedian, Whoopi would have been fine having him taken out. I guess Whoopi's "big consequences" are to send Will to his room for an hour. I read the comments, and more silliness about Jada being "bullied." People use words they don't even know the meaning of anymore.

Her words are as appalling as Will Smith physically assaulting someone? That seems very similar to the line of thought of people who excuse what Will did. 

I agree he should have been taken out but she’s not wrong about the optics of the situation. She also didn’t say that they wouldn’t kick him out of The Academy just that they wouldn’t take away the Oscar away or cancel him (as if they have the authority to cancel anyone). That’s also just her opinion. She is one of dozens involved in the decision and was always one who more likely to be sympathetic to Smith. 

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm old enough to remember when Will and Jada were first married. They went on Oprah and were charming, relatable, and very funny. They had that glow of being young, hot and in love.

Over the years, their interviews have become increasingly joyless, with a lot of talk about how much work their marriage takes.

It shouldn't be THAT much work. Yes of course it's work, but if it's THAT much work maybe that person just isn't the right person anymore.

I've never been married, but that's my impression. I know too many married couples who are really quite happy. Maybe the ones who talk about how it's painfully hard just aren't meant to be married, which is fine. 

• Love 1

And I am sure the Williams sisters were not happy with him either.  Smith showed complete disrespect for their father.

They stood up and applauded so no, I don't think they were upset.

Kareem Abdul-Jabar appeared in Airplane! and had no trouble poking fun at himself, because he's not a raging narcissist. I've seen people suggesting Will was drunk, but all alcohol does is remove the filters. If someone gets violent when drunk, that's who they are. And it was briefly mentioned by another poster but just days earlier Jada was talking about her hair loss and how much she doesn't care.

“I don’t give two craps what people think about this bald head of mine, because guess what? I love it.”

She wasn't the one who got on stage.

I'll wrap this up with an essay from NPR's Eric Deggans which no one has referenced yet. He's a Black journalist who asks "Should Will Smith have been allowed to collect an Oscar after he slapped Chris Rock?"

Watching Will Smith stalk off the stage with an Oscar for best actor in hand, I had anticipated pride and admiration in seeing a popular and hardworking performer finally ascend to join Hollywood's most creatively respected Black actors, alongside Denzel, Sidney, Morgan and Samuel L.

Instead, I first felt bewilderment, then anger. How, I wondered, was Smith allowed to climb onstage to accept an award, not long after walking up and slapping comedian Chris Rock when the comic cracked an unflattering joke about Smith's wife, Jada Pinkett Smith?

When the moment came for the Oscar show's producers to step up and say that someone who commits violence on live television doesn't get their moment in the winners' circle, the producers blinked.

Hollywood royalty won. Violence was indeed condoned.

And they let one of the world's biggest movie stars pretend that his angry outburst of machismo was somehow an effort to "protect" his family from a joke that had already been told.

And this is maybe the best comment made yet:

(Onstage, Smith said Washington told him "At your highest moment, be careful. That's when the devil comes for you" — as if some outside force decided to walk onstage and slap another man with his hand.)

And I'm sorry I can't get rid of this goddam fucking picture!

image.png

Edited by Vermicious Knid
Grrrr
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Dani said:

Innocent until proven guilty is purely a legal standard and it has zero bearing on any of this. Technically, under that standard Will Smith is still innocent. Also, Polanski and Weinstein are both guilty by that standard. None of that protects people from that natural consequences of shitty behavior. Just from a practical standpoint the legal system would have to improve significantly for it to be a definitive standard to judge people. All it determines is if people are going to face legal consequences. I often feel like what is considered proof varies greatly depending on how much we like people. 

Her words are as appalling as Will Smith physically assaulting someone? That seems very similar to the line of thought of people who excuse what Will did. 

I agree he should have been taken out but she’s not wrong about the optics of the situation. She also didn’t say that they wouldn’t kick him out of The Academy just that they wouldn’t take away the Oscar away or cancel him (as if they have the authority to cancel anyone). That’s also just her opinion. She is one of dozens involved in the decision and was always one who more likely to be sympathetic to Smith. 

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth. I do think what Whoopi said was appalling. She did not say in any way what she thought should be done, just really excused his behavior. in my opinion, I think excusing and coddling someone who has done wrong is NEARLY as bad as what he did. I also said that it goes beyond Will, that people aren't safe at these events, it could happen again, and that is as appalling as Chris being hit. Yes, it is her opinion, but one that will reach alot of people. She is not a faceless member of the Academy. For her to excuse Smith holds alot of weight. Innocent until proven guilty is the only way the Academy can enforce the rules of conduct fairly. Otherwise, they would be revoking Oscars on accusation. Will has not been accused of assault, millions of people saw it with their own eyes.

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think she looks a bit like Christina Hendricks.

Getty_ChristinaHendricks.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Lord have mercy, she could injure someone with those!

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

And what the heck was that bit about Will saying that Denzel told him that "when you're nearing the top, the devil comes for you" (or something like that)?! Like seriously, he was the victim there?!

I think the idea behind the advice is that when you have everything going your way and are on top of the world, you can get full of yourself and be tempted by bad ideas, bad judgment.

But there's something I find off-putting in the way Will Smith drops Denzel Washington's name. Smith is as old now as Washington was in 2008, and it doesn't seem that way. It's as if he's still holding on to something. When he's not in character as someone like Richard Williams, we're supposed to think he's a just-slightly-older Fresh Prince. Washington would always pay respect to predecessors like Poitier on appropriate occasions, but he didn't act like a perpetual kid new to the business who needed mentoring.

Is Smith helping along the young actors who are following in his footsteps, after his 35 years or so as a celebrity? A better question this week: Would we want that? 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I can't deplore Will Smith's actions enough ... however I can't help but see irony in the fact that for decades Hollywood has conditioned us with with example after example after example of "heroic" males beating the crap out of men who dare insult "their" women.   But when a Hollywood actor does precisely that in real life, everybody is stunned.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, yowsah1 said:

Of all the bystanders, I really am most appalled by the Academy's lack of action.  I was less than impressed by the reports that they "considered removing Smith but were all seated in separate areas of the theater so they couldn't make it happen in the 45 minutes before the Best Actor award was given out."

And I find that very hard to believe.  More likely, they didn't want to do the uncomfortable thing that needed to be done and escort him out so they punted.  It's far easier to hold up standards and rules of conduct when they're broken by by some low tier person but you're mettle is tested when there's an A lister.  It's the thing to turn to when there's an A lister so you don't have to wonder what to do. (btw, this is not just things the academy does.  I roll my eyes at almost all professional conferences with these because what happens if it's the keynote speaker?) 

49 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

And what the heck was that bit about Will saying that Denzel told him that "when you're nearing the top, the devil comes for you" (or something like that)?! Like seriously, he was the victim there?! Like Chris Rock is out to get him just because he was the night's frontrunner?!

The thing is, sometimes the devil is within yourself at the time.  But yeah, he probably interpreted it as he's the victim.

• Love 14

I am sure it is an unpopular opinion, but I love when Ricky Gervais hosts anything. I liked my comedians to have some bite. I love that he isn't afraid to go in on celebrities. Most of the time when comedians (and even non-comedians) host they tell jokes at the expense of some of the famous people in the audience. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

Initially I had the same thought but then it occurred to me that the Rules of Conduct were enacted in 2017 and Weinstein was convicted in 2020. If they have a provision to remove an Oscar they have already violated their own code of conduct given it’s hard to imagine that what Weinstein did wouldn’t be deserving of their harshest punishment particularly when Weinstein’s victims were other Academy members. 

Edited by Guest
13 minutes ago, susannah said:

No they aren't.

It’s just a joke meme commonly used on social media.  People put that gif of Pam from The Office under two similar pictures to underscore how similar two pictures are, i.e., the pics are so similar they could be the same.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, susannah said:

I just read them and they say that they are "categorically opposed to any form of abuse, harassment or discrimination." Smith's actions definitely violate that. In regard to the others from the MeToo movement, I did notice that an accusation or accusations were all it takes for people to lose their jobs and careers, some accusations from decades ago.  No formal charges, no trial, no conviction. If someone has committed a crime, the accusers should have to file charges against them. If they didn't commit crimes but acts of big jerkiness, no one should be able to publicly accuse, to be tried in the court of public opinion, with zero proof.  "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law..." So while it is reprehensible what those people have done, Polanski, Woody Allen, Weinstein, the Academy should not be able to take back their Oscars until they have been tried and convicted. Millions of people saw what Will did, which not only hurt Chris but demonstrated that people are not safe at these events, unless the hammer drops on Will.

While I definitely agree overall with your point about the ridiculousness lately of people losing their jobs over mere accusations, Polanski and Weinstein were actually convicted in a court of law.

2 hours ago, susannah said:

Thank you! They could totally be the same person!

I definitely think they look scarily alike at time. It's the same with Isla Fisher and Amy Adams - and Nina Dobrev and Emmanuelle Chriqui.

1 hour ago, Dani said:

It doesn't matter, IMO, whether innocent until proven guilty is purely a legal thing, I still think it should hold, especially when we're talking about punishing people with people losing things like jobs. Natural consequences for shitty behavior is one thing, but people losing jobs merely because they were accused of something is something else. In this situation, Will likely won't face court because Rock has refused to press charges (and I don't see him changing his mind), but we all saw what he did with our own eyes. There's no question of his guilt.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

I can't deplore Will Smith's actions enough ... however I can't help but see irony in the fact that for decades Hollywood has conditioned us with with example after example after example of "heroic" males beating the crap out of men who dare insult "their" women.   But when a Hollywood actor does precisely that in real life, everybody is stunned.

That's because there is a difference between fiction and reality. Plus, this happened at the Academy Awards. Nothing like this has ever happened there after decades. It's especially surprising because Will Smith is known for having a good image and not for pulling anything like this.

26 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

They definitely have a resemblance, but I don't think I've ever confused them. It took me a bit to tell Amy Adams and Isla Fisher apart. 

I think the resemblances are pretty strong with both sets of actresses.

1 hour ago, susannah said:

Otherwise, they would be revoking Oscars on accusation. Will has not been accused of assault, millions of people saw it with their own eyes.

Agreed! This is the difference.

• Love 3

When I saw Nocturnal Animals, I really did think that Amy Adams (besides playing the main character) was playing the wife in the story-within-the-story. Then I found it had been Isla Fisher. Most of Fisher's part takes place in a car on a dark road at night, which didn't help.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

When I saw Nocturnal Animals, I really did think that Amy Adams (besides playing the main character) was playing the wife in the story-within-the-story. Then I found it had been Isla Fisher. Most of Fisher's part takes place in a car on a dark road at night, which didn't help.

lol I'm pretty good with faces, and I can't think of another set of celebs I confused like I did those two. I had to make a point to tell them apart. While I see resemblance, I don't think Nina and Emmanuelle are twinning either. Just a similar type of look, along with Victoria Justice. I get the comparisons, I've just never confused them. I can also easily tell apart the Olsen twins and the Mowry twins, but I know some people think they look too much alike to tell apart. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Full House and Sister, Sister. But I digress lol!

Edited by RealHousewife

The Jessica Chastain/Bryce Dallas Howard resemblance looks a lot stronger to my eyes. I can just imagine the latter saying "Dad, why did the coat check attendant hand me this Oscar?" at one of the after-parties.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 7
37 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

It’s just a joke meme commonly used on social media.  People put that gif of Pam from The Office under two similar pictures to underscore how similar two pictures are, i.e., the pics are so similar they could be the same.

Sorry! I hadn't seen that.

18 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

While I definitely agree overall with your point about the ridiculousness lately of people losing their jobs over mere accusations, Polanski and Weinstein were actually convicted in a court of law.

I definitely think they look scarily alike at time. It's the same with Isla Fisher and Amy Adams - and Nina Dobrev and Emmanuelle Chriqui.

It doesn't matter, IMO, whether innocent until proven guilty is purely a legal thing, I still think it should hold, especially when we're talking about punishing people with people losing things like jobs. Natural consequences for shitty behavior is one thing, but people losing jobs merely because they were accused of something is something else. In this situation, Will likely won't face court because Rock has refused to press charges (and I don't see him changing his mind), but we all saw what he did with our own eyes. There's no question of his guilt.

That's because there is a difference between fiction and reality. Plus, this happened at the Academy Awards. Nothing like this has ever happened there after decades. It's especially surprising because Will Smith is known for having a good image and not for pulling anything like this.

I think the resemblances are pretty strong with both sets of actresses.

Agreed! This is the difference.

Well well well said!

• Love 1