Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

We're in a streaming age now. Five of the Best Picture nominees debuted on a streaming service either instead of or in addition to wide release in theaters. The other five were all available to stream as part of a subscription (Netflix, Disney, HBO, etc.) or watch at home via rental weeks or months before the telecast.

So, you can't look at box-office numbers alone and generalize about no one caring about the movies. Don't Look Up was the second-most-streamed movie in the history of Netflix. Not everyone loved it, of course, but it got watched a lot. 

Also, maybe some people watch the ceremony to see their favorite stars, then they see clips or hear what someone says and they think, "That looks interesting." Many years ago, if the movie wasn't still playing near them, their only hope would have been catching it on television years later.  

Actually I still can because streaming numbers when they are big are released in terms of volume. Don't look up was the only one of success in that regard. And the streaming point does not matter. Most of these movies would not been successful to wide audiences. They haven't been for years and years. Streaming or no streaming. There is a buzz when movies are successful. Are being watched that most of these Oscar movies do not have. Critically sure. But beyond that, not so much.

3 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

It was insulting,  He wouldn't have said it if he had not meant it to be taken as such.

Uh yes he would have. It was meant to be funny. Not every joke is meant to insult. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

She shaved her head as far as Rock knew. Nothing sensitive about that on the surface. He didn't say anything about a weave, called her head nappy or something like that. He didn't even make fun of how it looked. He said she looked like GI Jane. It's not even insulting in any context.

It was meant as an insult.  He wouldn't have commented on her hair if he wasn't trying to make fun of her.  He meant it in a Whoopi Goldberg Oda Mae Brown "gurrrllll, what you do to your hair?" way like he was chiding her but I think it was an obvious insult.

I saw her on her "Equalizer" guest appearance a few weeks back so I knew she had shaved her head.  She's always had short hair, this is just an even shorter version.  I think she looks great.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, blackwing said:

It was meant as an insult.  He wouldn't have commented on her hair if he wasn't trying to make fun of her.  He meant it in a Whoopi Goldberg Oda Mae Brown "gurrrllll, what you do to your hair?" way like he was chiding her but I think it was an obvious insult.

I saw her on her "Equalizer" guest appearance a few weeks back so I knew she had shaved her head.  She's always had short hair, this is just an even shorter version.  I think she looks great.

She looks fantastic!   Strong, but very feminine at the same time.  So pretty.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Having a bald head like GI Jane is not a bad thing. It's not an insult. It is dated. Saying you got the GI Jane style when a woman got a bald cut was never offensive but it was hacky. It's been for over 20 years. That's why I called it a light joke at best. 

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

She shaved her head as far as Rock knew. Nothing sensitive about that on the surface. He didn't say anything about a weave, called her head nappy or something like that. He didn't even make fun of how it looked. He said she looked like GI Jane. It's not even insulting in any context.

That’s only true if this joke happened in a complete vacuum. With the way Demi was treated over her GI Jane look and with how easy a target Jada is generally it was absolutely intended as an insult. 

1 hour ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

I suspect he would not have if someone else had made the same joke, but the Smiths have had beef with Chris Rock for years. Jada Pinkett-Smith was a target of his Oscar humor in 2016 as well. That was the year Pinkett-Smith said she was boycotting the ceremony because the nominees were not diverse enough (and her husband had been snubbed for his leading role in Concussion). Rock said, "Jada got mad, said she’s not coming. Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited.”

Then he said Will not being nominated for Concussion was an outrage on par with Will getting $20 million for Wild Wild West (the 1999 debacle).

I like those jokes more than ever now.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I thought she'd shaved her head regularly in the past, or at least had it very short for some time, so the style itself didn't seem out of the ordinary to me, although I don't follow her closely. I assumed the joke was the combination of her short hair with the structured bodice and color of her dress that looked Military-chic. I do think, given her medical condition, that the joke was in bad taste, and I respect Chris Rock a lot if he apologized with full context of why they found the joke so upsetting. It still doesn't excuse assaulting a comedian in the middle of an award show though.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, dmeets said:

I’m still flabbergasted that he used the speech to explain that as a family man, just like Richard Williams, he’ll do anything to protect his family, costars, and the Williams family. That is what he said, right? And then he yukks it up the rest of the night. Fucking hell.

they clapped for him, but I hope some of the folks in that room rip him a new one in post interviews. It’ll be too little too late but I need to know some of them realize what he did was appalling.

11 hours ago, Dani said:

Yeah. Him justifying what he did as protecting his family was disgusting. The show started with a very pointed joke from Amy about the sexism of the biopic about Venus and Serena’s success being about their father. I’m guessing that joke went over most of their heads. I did notice that the reaction shots and support for Will came from his generation and older. They probably won’t say anything but it be interesting to hear what younger Hollywood thought. 

I was hoping Serena Williams would run up on the stage and slap him. She could say it was in defense of HER family.

Just joking

10 hours ago, Dani said:

You know, now that you mention it, the joke about Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz was actually pretty sexist and insulting to them both. Insinuating that Penelope is so insecure that she couldn’t handle it if he won while she didn’t. 

I have my doubts that Chris even wrote any of the jokes. They were stale is a way that I associate with jokes written for presenters. It wouldn’t surprise if Chris wrote a joke that was received poorly but he’s generally funnier than he was tonight. Amy’s jokes were the only ones that didn’t have that feel and I suspect she wrote or was involved in the writing of her own lines.

I cringed at the Javier/Penelope jokes as so out of date and lame. They are in the genre of the old outdated “take my wife, please” jokes.

• Love 16

Chilllllllllllllllllllllle!!

Wow!  Until we got to the slap heard ‘round the world, there were lots of history making moments….

West Side Story – Ariana DeBose’s well deserved win, 61 years after Rita Moreno won for the same role. 

Troy Kotsur’s BSA win for Coda – Okay, I’ll admit it, muhfucka cried all thoughout his speech.  From the lovely Asian woman (don’t remember her name) who came up before and handed him his Oscar to the audience giving a deaf standing ovation to his beautiful speech, I couldn’t stop the sniffles.

Coda’s win for Best Picture – I’ma have to get a free Apple trial and watch this.

Loved The Godfather segment, although I thought James Caan, Talia Shire and Robert Duvall were supposed to be there with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.

Glad Jessica Chastain finally one, she should have won the first time over the annoyingly obnoxious Jennifer Lawrence (remember her unfunny ‘Jessica Chastain’t gonna win my Oscar?!)

Also glad that Beyonce didn’t win for that awful song, though her production number of it was good.

Soooo….that was the We Don’t Talk About Bruno song, eh?  Oof.

Now….when Chris Rock first made the joke about Jada’s alopecia, Will laughed!  I guess Jada’s eye roll must have changed his mind.  And if you see pictures, you’ll note that Chris had a clenched fist so he had some serious composure.  The unedited clip was awkward to say the least.  The Everybody Hates Chris jokes (via Twitter) were hysterical, sorry Chris.

Best Dressed – For me, the top three were Zendaya, Ariana DeBose and surprisingly Jennifer Garner.

• Love 4

Pretty sure Chris Rock was unaware of her medical condition.  I certainly was.  It's not like every celebrity follows everybody's social media, is it?  How would Chris Rock have known?

What I don't get is why Chris Rock was giving even a little stand-up segment to begin with?  He's there to present a documentary award.  Has nothing to do with comedy.  Sure, when there's a few presenters up there together, there's a little banter.  Sometimes fun.  Sometimes stupid.  But he's up there giving his little routine that has nothing to do with the award he's presenting.  He's had his shot to host before.  It's not his job to poke fun at the audience like a host would do in an opening monologue.  Just odd that the producers even let him do it in the first place.

Will laughed at the joke.  Then you saw Jada roll her eyes.  So maybe she got pissed and said something to him off camera that we didn't see.

There's also reports that in rehearsals, there was no problem.  Did Chris Rock say the jokes in rehearsal?  I doubt he would have.

• Love 8
Just now, Yogisbooboo64 said:

No, it was a complete disservice to We Don't Talk About Bruno. What makes that song such a fun ear worm is how they build a bunch of different verses, unique to each character, and then layer them all together at the end to a really complex climax. Instead they just repeated the chorus over and over again. Slap-gate definitely distracted from my disappointment in the performance. It could have been such a fun number!

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
14 minutes ago, Dani said:

That’s only true if this joke happened in a complete vacuum. With the way Demi was treated over her GI Jane look and with how easy a target Jada is generally it was absolutely intended as an insult. 

If someone wants to make something offensive they can. That doesn't mean that was the intent. But, words have meanings and consequences. Something people ate finding out more and more. I do know we are never going to stop hearing about how this PC culture is ruining comedy if this considered disgusting and offensive.

He should be called out for doing a hack joke as others have pointed out. For me, that is as far as I go.

Will and Jada have every right to take it as offensive. The joke was targeted at them. But, it can never justify Will's actions.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I like those jokes more than ever now.

Yeah, those (Rock's 2016 jokes about the Smith couple) are pretty sharp. Much better than "GI Jane" and the one about Cruz and Bardem being married nominees. He was either off his game this year or someone else supplied his material. 

• Love 11

Serious question, if the joke had been that Jada was going to be in Black Panther 2 would it have been offensive? It would still be insensitive because of her medical condition but I tend to think it would have been viewed as insulting since it is a much more positive comparison. 

6 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Pretty sure Chris Rock was unaware of her medical condition.  I certainly was.  It's not like every celebrity follows everybody's social media, is it?  How would Chris Rock have known?

What I don't get is why Chris Rock was giving even a little stand-up segment to begin with?  He's there to present a documentary award.  Has nothing to do with comedy.  Sure, when there's a few presenters up there together, there's a little banter.  Sometimes fun.  Sometimes stupid.  But he's up there giving his little routine that has nothing to do with the award he's presenting.  He's had his shot to host before.  It's not his job to poke fun at the audience like a host would do in an opening monologue.  Just odd that the producers even let him do it in the first place.

Will laughed at the joke.  Then you saw Jada roll her eyes.  So maybe she got pissed and said something to him off camera that we didn't see.

There's also reports that in rehearsals, there was no problem.  Did Chris Rock say the jokes in rehearsal?  I doubt he would have.

So that was a planned joke complete with rehearsal?  One thing I have been pondering about that joke is the producers have to have a list of no-go topics for the hosts and presenters they compile each year for that year's batch of nominees.  Take Nicole Kidman for example.  She was also right there in front of the stage with Keith.  No host or presenter is going to crack a joke about her botox or Keith's struggles with alcohol.  There is a line for all of them.  It's obvious Chris Rock crossed a line last night, but were the producers aware of it?  Did their research fail them?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Will laughed at the joke, then looked over at Jada who was not smiling and giving him a "Are you going to stand for this!" look, after which he obediently went into classic, defending my woman action. I think the whole Smith family is overrated and entitled.

The only thing  worse than physical assault was justifying it later with, "It came from love."  That's what wife beaters say. 

I listened to the NPR review of the Oscars and one of the commentators said that "Love makes you do crazy things" is the language of abuse. I hadn't connected those dots but it makes sense.

• Love 23
16 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Chilllllllllllllllllllllle!!

Wow!  Until we got to the slap heard ‘round the world, there were lots of history making moments….

West Side Story – Ariana DeBose’s well deserved win, 61 years after Rita Moreno won for the same role. 

Troy Kotsur’s BSA win for Coda – Okay, I’ll admit it, muhfucka cried all thoughout his speech.  From the lovely Asian woman (don’t remember her name) who came up before and handed him his Oscar to the audience giving a deaf standing ovation to his beautiful speech, I couldn’t stop the sniffles.

Coda’s win for Best Picture – I’ma have to get a free Apple trial and watch this.

Loved The Godfather segment, although I thought James Caan, Talia Shire and Robert Duvall were supposed to be there with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro.

Glad Jessica Chastain finally one, she should have won the first time over the annoyingly obnoxious Jennifer Lawrence (remember her unfunny ‘Jessica Chastain’t gonna win my Oscar?!)

Also glad that Beyonce didn’t win for that awful song, though her production number of it was good.

Now….when Chris Rock first made the joke about Jada’s alopecia, Will laughed!  I guess Jada’s eye roll must have changed his mind.  And if you see pictures, you’ll note that Chris had a clenched fist so he had some serious composure.  The unedited clip was awkward to say the least.  The Everybody Hates Chris jokes (via Twitter) were hysterical, sorry Chris.

Best Dressed – For me, the top three were Zendaya, Ariana DeBose and surprisingly Jennifer Garner.

Zendaya's look is just so fresh and modern, very cool.  Loved the Lily James dress, so lovely.  Didn't like the Kourtney Kardashian dress that got raved about; looked ill-fitting.

• Love 9

What a stand-up guy...

image.thumb.png.13d82f2db4717dcef72c05f7106ca311.png

On a non-assault topic... While I understand why Dune swept the techs, I can't help but be a little peeved about it beating out Spider-Man and Shang-Chi in light of Denis Villeneuve's snobbish attitude about MCU and comic book movies in general. He probably feels vindicated, so meh.

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, SnarkAttack said:

Zendaya's look is just so fresh and modern, very cool. 

I'm not a fan of all the crop tops and gaping open tops (looking at Timothee and Kristen Stewart) but Zendaya's look was stunning.

• Love 9

We've all made our opinions about yesterday's fiasco. One thing I didn't discuss last night was Will losing his Oscar. The Academy hasn't even looked into taking awards back from pedophiles/rapists. Not sure why some folks think the Academy only awards the most upstanding of people. 

• Love 8

The joke was dated and lame, and it shouldn't have been written.  Will Smith shouldn't have resorted to violence.  That's my stance, and that is all I'm going to say about it.

I loved Tory Kotsur's acceptance speech.  I like it when lesser known actors win, they seem so much more touched and appreciative than the bigger, A-list stars.  And Troy was incredible in CODA and deserved his win.  

I also liked Jessica Chastain's speech, and I thought her dress was very pretty.  The colors kind of looked like a Tammy Faye palette without being too over-the-top, so maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was a nice choice.

Timothe Chalamet can be shirtless all he wants.  I don't have a problem with seeing naked male torsos onstage, since we've seen side-boob and under-boob, and all kinds of fun stuff from the women over the years.  I am not in the camp that thinks everyone needs to cover up, I think we're WAY past that, and the genie can't be stuffed back in the bottle.  At this point, I just want equal opportunity nekkidness.

Speaking of Timothe, I'm glad Dune won so many Oscars.  I liked that movie the best out of all the BP nominees, so I'm glad it got some recognition.  I think it's a great adaptation.

The dumbass comedy bits need to be cut entirely.  They're not funny, and they take up WAY too much time.  Might as well include those other awards if you're still going to go over the runtime because Amy Schumer needs to wear a Spider-Man costume for some reason.  Ugh, I hate those stupid bits SO MUCH.

Lastly, I wanted Kirsten Dunst to win Best Supporting, because I have loved her for years, but I'm not upset about Ariana DeBose's win.  I'm not a fan of West Side Story because it's just not my thing, but I thought she did a great job as Anita.  I wouldn't have been upset about Benedict Cumberbatch winning for The Power of the Dog, but I knew it wasn't going to happen.  Anyway, can't wait until next year.  Actually, I can, I kind of don't want to see it...

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Dani said:

Serious question, if the joke had been that Jada was going to be in Black Panther 2 would it have been offensive? It would still be insensitive because of her medical condition but I tend to think it would have been viewed as insulting since it is a much more positive comparison. 

And that shouldn't be considered offensive either because the warriors in Black Panther were considered beautiful and badass. The look also inspired many women to go bald. Looking like a member of the Dora Milaje is not a bad thing in any context. Looking like GI Jane wasn't bad. She was strong soldier that wasn't going to be defined by her gender or sexuality. Dora Milaje weren't either. 

If he had said good work on the Charles Barkley cosplay...that's offensive. That is intent to insult. Saying a black woman looks like retired age black man is insulting. He relayed her look to another bald/attractive woman.  There is a difference.

• Love 13
Just now, RealHousewife said:

We've all made our opinions about yesterday's fiasco. One thing I didn't discuss last night was Will losing his Oscar. The Academy hasn't even looked into taking awards back from pedophiles/rapists. Not sure why some folks think the Academy only awards the most upstanding of people. 

They also have no problem inviting Mel Gibson almost every year.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Yeah, that to me is fucking hilarious. Rapists and child molesters have Oscars. Do y'all really think they're going to take back an Oscar from a man who committed assault under the guise of defending his wife?

Also, the award is for ACTING, not best human. 

• Love 15
33 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I was hoping Serena Williams would run up on the stage and slap him. She could say it was in defense of HER family.

Just joking

I cringed at the Javier/Penelope jokes as so out of date and lame. They are in the genre of the old outdated “take my wife, please” jokes.

If Serena Williams had decided to slap someone, I hope she'd have made it count. Part of the reason I've seen so much spec about it being planned seems to be that Chris didn't seem injured, or even hurt. As someone who has been slapped in the face by a man, I can assure you that a real, hard slap hurts. Your teeth cut the inside of your cheek, resulting in a little blood. Your eye waters and maybe swells a bit. 

I don't think it was a joke or a bit, I'm just pointing out that while physical violence is abhorrent, Smith was way out of line and his behavior isn't in any way excusable and the Rock joke was terrible, it wasn't much of a slap.

If I'm possibly going to torch my career in an inexcusable act of public violence, I'm going to put my weight into it.

I have never found Timothee Chalamet appealing until he showed up shirtless on the red carpet. Now I get it. 

Al Pacino looks like he crawled out from under the bridge he was guarding.

I was not a fan of the Chastain dress.

Kudos to Amy Schumer for wearing the Spiderman costume without being strapped into a dozen Spanx. 

Jada was the fashion winner for me. Fuck Will for overshadowing her gorgeous dress. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

There is way too much triggering in this day and age.  Remember the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts?  3/4 of Hollywood would be running to their safe space corners.

This bothers me because all the hype is taking the attention off the true winners last night.  They don't deserve to be shadowed because of this.

And lets face it - if it were a white actor such as Clooney or Pitt defending their wives, they'd be deleted from Twitter by now and hung from their toe nails.  But because it was black on black, everyone's cutting Smith slack.  I don't care what color, nationality, race, religion, sex you are - physical violence - ESPECIALLY on a live awards show - is NEVER OKAY no matter the circumstances

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Yeah, that to me is fucking hilarious. Rapists and child molesters have Oscars. Do y'all really think they're going to take back an Oscar from a man who committed assault under the guise of defending his wife?

Also, the award is for ACTING, not best human. 

Yes, and punishing one of the few black actors who've won the award would be the pinnacle of "Oscars so white" behavior. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, ctlady said:

And lets face it - if it were a white actor such as Clooney or Pitt defending their wives, they'd be deleted from Twitter by now and hung from their toe nails.  But because it was black on black, everyone's cutting Smith slack.  I don't care what color, nationality, race, religion, sex you are - physical violence - ESPECIALLY on a live awards show - is NEVER OKAY no matter the circumstances

This is a fantasy.  A lot of famous white male actors are known for famous violent incidents, Brad Pitt included.  They are never cancelled.  

• Love 24

I'll admit, I thought Will Smith's slap was in improved fake moment because it looked so awkward and exaggerated and the the sound cutting out had something to do with our tv.  When I saw him yelling and read his lips, I realized that it wasn't.  I agree that it's possible that the people who didn't hear him thought it was staged.  It was totally uncalled for and I thought it brought the ceremony down for a bit.  Unfortunately, I don't think there was any way possible to award someone else, nor do I think it can be taken away since many people voted for Will Smith.  I would think the actors who voted for him would have to start a petition to revoke it, which isn't going to happen.  It's too bad, too, because I did like his performance and think it was award worthy.  Now, I wish it had gone to Andrew Garfield instead.

Back when the ceremony started, people were wondering about the horse in the opening sequence.  I can't find anything specifically on it, so this is just speculation, but there is a wonderful program called The Compton Cowboys:

How Compton Cowboys Horseback Riders Save Lives on L.A. Streets — and 'Make It Dope to Get Involved'

and right now there is a young, black, female equestrian who is becoming a star in that sport.  She was raised in Compton and is involved with The Compton Cowboys. 

How 16-Year-Old Equestrian Athlete Zoie Brogdon Is Making a Mark in Her Sport

Since they were celebrating two black, female, top athletes, that might have been why we saw the horse. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, Pickles Aplenty said:

The joke was dated and lame, and it shouldn't have been written.  Will Smith shouldn't have resorted to violence.  That's my stance, and that is all I'm going to say about it.

I loved Tory Kotsur's acceptance speech.  I like it when lesser known actors win, they seem so much more touched and appreciative than the bigger, A-list stars.  And Troy was incredible in CODA and deserved his win.  

I also liked Jessica Chastain's speech, and I thought her dress was very pretty.  The colors kind of looked like a Tammy Faye palette without being too over-the-top, so maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was a nice choice.

Timothe Chalamet can be shirtless all he wants.  I don't have a problem with seeing naked male torsos onstage, since we've seen side-boob and under-boob, and all kinds of fun stuff from the women over the years.  I am not in the camp that thinks everyone needs to cover up, I think we're WAY past that, and the genie can't be stuffed back in the bottle.  At this point, I just want equal opportunity nekkidness.

Speaking of Timothe, I'm glad Dune won so many Oscars.  I liked that movie the best out of all the BP nominees, so I'm glad it got some recognition.  I think it's a great adaptation.

The dumbass comedy bits need to be cut entirely.  They're not funny, and they take up WAY too much time.  Might as well include those other awards if you're still going to go over the runtime because Amy Schumer needs to wear a Spider-Man costume for some reason.  Ugh, I hate those stupid bits SO MUCH.

Lastly, I wanted Kirsten Dunst to win Best Supporting, because I have loved her for years, but I'm not upset about Ariana DeBose's win.  I'm not a fan of West Side Story because it's just not my thing, but I thought she did a great job as Anita.  I wouldn't have been upset about Benedict Cumberbatch winning for The Power of the Dog, but I knew it wasn't going to happen.  Anyway, can't wait until next year.  Actually, I can, I kind of don't want to see it...

Timothee's hair is fabulous and so are his sleepy, bedroom eyes...

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I would think the actors who voted for him would have to start a petition to revoke it, which isn't going to happen.  It's too bad, too, because I did like his performance and think it was award worthy.  Now, I wish it had gone to Andrew Garfield instead.

Hell, I thought it should've gone to Andrew Garfield before the slap heard round the world happened. I watched both movies; Andrew gave the better performance, IMO. I am so tired of "make up" Oscars. I can probably count on one hand the number of times an actor has won an Oscar for their actual best role.

• Love 11

I grew up in a household with violence, so that was hard for me to watch.

But having watched this live and watching the uncensored version a few times, I saw Will at first seeming to laugh, going to the "ha, ha, let me take the high road" expected role for him and POC in general and then he saw his wife's face, which went from annoyed to angry with the hurt over Chris once again lampooning her in front of a mostly-white audience written all over her face. And in that moment, when he saw the hurt, he snapped and while I do not condone violence, I can understand it.

My 79-year-old mother knows about Jada's hair, but whether or not Chris knew is irrelevant. He deliberately made fun of a black woman, milking her pain for laughs. Period. And it's not the first time.

Her being open about it does not negate that it is painful for her, but again, it's not about her hair as him using a woman of color as a punchline is the problem. 

And it has nothing to do with Jada and Will not having "thicker skin." POC have the thickest skin that has ever or will ever exist. Because they have had to.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

Regina was groping the guys on stage on that covid test joke and no one said boo about it but Wil Smith hits Chris Rock on a light joke about Jada's shaved head.

Comeon.

I didn't see any of the boyfriends or husbands from "We saw your boobs" song go up and punch or hit Seth and that was offensive (funny yes, but offensive). 

Smith had to be drunk or high.  He should have been escorted from the show and Oscar should be given to someone else for best actor.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Hell, I thought it should've gone to Andrew Garfield before the slap heard round the world happened. I watched both movies; Andrew gave the better performance, IMO. I am so tired of "make up" Oscars. I can probably count on one hand the number of times an actor has won an Oscar for their actual best role.

I'd have been happy with either one of them winning.  I agree with you about actors winning for their best performance.  Will was fantastic in Concussion.  I haven't cared for him as a person for a long time, but have enjoyed his performances.  Now, I don't know that I'll be able to watch anything he's in.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

The award was for his acting in King Richard, not his slapping of Chris Rock.

His CONDUCT was unbefitting of an OSCAR winner

2 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Can you imagine if a male actor had felt up/frisked two female ones?

Exactly

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Jared Leto, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Sean Connery, Sean Penn, Laurence Olivier, Dustin Hoffman, William Hurt, Kevin Spacey, Mel Gibson, & Casey Affleck should all have their Oscars revoked, too, then, no?

Yep.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

Zendaya's look is just so fresh and modern, very cool.  Loved the Lily James dress, so lovely.  Didn't like the Kourtney Kardashian dress that got raved about; looked ill-fitting.

42 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I'm not a fan of all the crop tops and gaping open tops (looking at Timothee and Kristen Stewart) but Zendaya's look was stunning.

Zendaya had the body and face of a model and seem to be able to pull anything off.

The King Richard moment I will remember is Beyoncé’s performance. That was fire 🔥.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Jared Leto, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Sean Connery, Sean Penn, Laurence Olivier, Dustin Hoffman, William Hurt, Kevin Spacey, Mel Gibson, & Casey Affleck should all have their Oscars revoked, too, then, no?

Thank you! These are the men I alluded to in my post, but I appreciate you naming some of them. I do not see this whole "if he were white, the reaction would be way worse." Even those of us who've said we understood Will's reaction have all still said it was wrong. I would have totally understood if he were escorted out of there after assaulting the host. Ideally, he would have exchanged words with Will after the show. But there's more energy to get his Oscar removed than there is for child molesters. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Zendaya had the body and face of a model and seem to be able to pull anything off.

The King Richard moment I will remember is Beyoncé’s performance. That was fire 🔥.

Not a fan of Beyonce.  Nor Adele.  Way over-hyped.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

But there's more energy to get his Oscar removed than there is for child molesters. 

OMG, yes.

Harvey Weinstein is sitting on 81 Oscars and Will's very-well-deserved win is the one that needs to go back??? I do not understand the outcry that this is the worst thing that's ever happened at the Oscars (I'm giving Mia Farrow, of all people, and her pearl-clutching some major side-eye here as WTF, lady). The Academy is a tainted and scandalous organization. Always has been, always will be. 

3 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I wish these producers would stop trying to jazz the in memoriam segment. That needs to be the least produced segment out there. Just let the people of the industry we lost have their last moment. Why is this so hard?

I know they were going for more of a celebration vibe than a mourning, but I could hardly see the pictures and names for what seemed like a hundred dancers cavorting about on stage, even cutting away from the pictures to focus on them. 

• Love 18