Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, Vermicious Knid said:

Will there be a rush of people streaming Keanu now?

I actually have Keanu on my DVR waiting to be seen. During one of the free movie channel previews I DVR'd it. 

• Love 1
Just now, TV Mercenary said:

I think Jordan could also take it for best director but I know he won't but if he and his film could win for best movie of the year I think I might just die happy.

I’ll be shocked if Del Toro doesn’t win. He won DGA and they’re an excellent predictor. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TV Mercenary said:

OMG OMG OMG the right choice finally the right choice I am actually shocked because I thought the fish movie was going to take it from him!! So happy right now!!!

I figured it would be Three Billboards.  Glad to be wrong!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

I’ll be shocked if Del Toro doesn’t win. He won DGA and they’re an excellent predictor. 

I could see this being another year where Best Director and Best Movie aren't the same.  Is it me, or has it been a while since the Best Movie was directed by the winner of the Best Director Oscar?

• Love 1
Just now, wallflower75 said:

I could see this being another year where Best Director and Best Movie aren't the same.  Is it me, or has it been a while since the Best Movie was directed by the winner of the Best Director Oscar?

Only because of the expanded Picture category. 

I love how this man stands there a true veteran a man who volunteered to fight in a war that a certain someone used 7 bone spur doctor notes to get out of to avoid and yet he calls them soft and he calls them weak yeah okay.

• Love 13
Just now, wallflower75 said:

2014 was the last year when Birdman/Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu won.  Before that was 2011 with The Artist/Michel Hazanavicius.  This decade has had a lot more splits than the 80s/90s where director almost guaranteed picture.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

Holy shit, Get Out may actually win best picture!

I would be surprised, given those anonymous Oscar voter interviews where some voters dismissed it as "not an Oscar movie" even while acknowledging not having seen it. One of the major awards prognosticators (I think Sasha Stone at Awards Daily, but I can't remember) is fond of saying that under the preferential ballot system a film that a lot of people love and some hate will always lose to a film that everyone likes (for example, if Film A has a lot of #1 votes but also a sizable number of #9 votes, and Film B is everyone's #2 choice, Film B would win despite having no #1 votes). A lot of people love Get Out, but a lot of people seem to not be even considering it. I think Three Billboards is in a similar position; a lot of people love it, but a lot of people hate it, too.

• Love 2

Doing a military montage is another brilliant move to point out Hollywood is not the enemy.  Maybe they don't tow the government line in all cases but there is a rich history of insightful war films supporting troop's efforts.

• Love 19
(edited)

It just hit me that Kobe Bryant and Jordan Peele both won an Oscar on the same night and I am having a really hard time trying to remember a time when two black men won separate Awards on the same night for two separate projects at this sort of level of entertainment acknowledgement in film which makes me stupid happy.

Edited by TV Mercenary
  • Love 6