Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"The Writings on the Wall" is not just a terrible Best Song winner, it's a terrible song all around.  It's utterly boring and the wailing and screeching was a bit much.  I wonder if there were political reasons for giving it to Sam Smith.  The Academy must really really hate Diane Warren.  That song sang by Lady Gaga was 1000 times better than Sam Smith's song.

• Love 11

I'm sure what J.J. Abrams really wanted to say "Yeah, yeah, you got noms, but my film outgrossed all of your films combined!  Me!  J.J. Fucking Abrams!  I'm the King of the Galaxy!!!!"

Hoping for a George Miller upset, but I knew Inarritu had it after the DGA.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7

WTF OSCARS.  Little Monsters are going to come after you.  And some of the normal folk after this performance. 

Let them go after Sam Smith.  They went overboard going after Duncan Jones for his correct criticism of her Grammy Tribute to Bowie.  I wasn't a fan of Smith's Bond theme - it was probably the weakest song of both the Craig and Brosnan eras.  The Madonna song was better.  To think it could have been Radiohead...

• Love 2

I wish these were on Saturday.  I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning and go be productive at work!

Sames! My Fitbit is going to yell at me that I did not hit my sleep goal, dammit.

I was hoping Gaga would win but Sam's speech was very nice.

How's about we drop the painful banter before announcing nominees and awards and the stupid schtick throughout the show so the poor orchestra, who I would bet my mortgage does NOT want to do it, doesn't have to crank up the Valkyries when the winners are saying something important? This is THEIR night, fools.

• Love 5

"The Writings on the Wall" is not just a terrible Best Song winner, it's a terrible song all around.  It's utterly boring and the wailing and screeching was a bit much.  I wonder if there were political reasons for giving it to Sam Smith.  The Academy must really really hate Diane Warren.  That song sang by Lady Gaga was 1000 times better than Sam Smith's song.

Amen.  I don't know why I was surprised, though.  The makeup of the Academy has been discussed (and discussed, and discussed...) since the nominees were announced.  Why should it be surprising that a cheesy song from a James Bond movie written by two men beat out a heartbreaking, thought-provoking song written by two women?

OMG--the directing winner is getting played off?  Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...

• Love 1