Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/19/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Meredith now has a panel discussion for the first 30 or so minutes of her show. We all know she is a great moderator. It's called "what's hot now". To me it is very enjoyable. I can FF through the rest of the show if it doesn't interest me

That show's also better than this one because Meredith is the only one interviewing guests. The View would be better if only Paula or Joy were allowed to interview, because the rest are even worse at interviews than they are at Hot Topics discussions. Rosie O was the only one who could do it well last year.

I'm surprised so many people make over O'Malley's looks. I mean, he's not unattractive, but I've seen better.

• Love 5

Reminds me of the prayer that my grandmother taught me when I was 3:

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

She wanted me to say it every night & couldn't understand why I refused to go to bed -- I'm sure she also wouldn't understand why I grew up to be an atheist.    

I guess I'm not a real deep thinker because I said it every night when I was a kid & didn't think about it, one way or the other.  LOL.

• Love 7

I guess Whoopi and Joy not being there today is their way of protesting Bill O's views.  Or a refusal to contribute to bringing any attention to Bill O in any way.  But it could also be characterized as, well ... kind of chicken shit.  There are all kinds of other guests on the show with whom Joy and Whoopi probably don't agree.  But they don't sit out the show over it.  They show up and express their opposing views and the world continues to spin on its axis.   No biggie.  How come they can't manage that when Bill O is on the show? 

It seems unprofessional to me. And it definitely does give Bill O something to brag about. 

I thought Joy always had Mondays off. 

• Love 1

Wow this "show" has gone further south. I haven't watched much this season. The last few weeks I would delete the DVR episodes weekly, always telling myself I will watch the next week. It was hard finding any redeeming value anymore, not even for snark. It's just so nasty now. Based this past week from comments here and other media I think I am done. Deleting the series record. It's too bad tbtb veered so far from the original premise, I really enjoyed those first few seasons. The show started around the birth of my daughter. I guess it's fitting soon she will be leaving for college just like I'm leaving this show.

• Love 3

I thought Joy always had Mondays off. 

There are so many host and co-hosts of varying status ... some full time, some only on certain days, some part time for 50 days, some regular hosts with other commitments that take them away for however long, plus unscheduled "sick days" and sundry "guest hosts" who just show up randomly ....  I have no idea who is going to be sitting around the table at all any more. 

At any rate, if Joy is regularly scheduled to have Mondays off, it doesn't surprise me that is the day they scheduled Bill O'Reilly to appear.  She (and Whoopi) walked off the stage the last time he was on the show.  I don't think it is an accident that both she and Whoopi had someplace else to be the day he returned.  It's a little too convenient.  

• Love 2
Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

My family said this prayer too, followed by, "God bless, Mother and Daddy...." and so on.   Like most of my prayers, I said them "by heart" and rarely thought about what they meant...until LONG thereafter.

I'm surprised so many people make over O'Malley's looks. I mean, he's not unattractive, but I've seen better.

I think it's embarrassing and a bit insulting.  Apparently one cannot be both a politician and good-looking.  Grown women getting all giddy because an attractive MAN is sitting at the table with them.  GEEZ!   I'm sure O'Malley's PR people are in charge of getting as much attention as possible for him...no matter how silly.

• Love 8

Hmmm - what about a bare chested Paul Ryan.

I truly hate when they treat a man as a sex object.

Plus way too soon for O'Malley to show he is just a regular guy with a guitar - he is barely known and needs to show what he stands for. But the co-hosts today (or most days) can't get to the serious conversation.

• Love 7

I think it's embarrassing and a bit insulting.  Apparently one cannot be both a politician and good-looking.  Grown women getting all giddy because an attractive MAN is sitting at the table with them.  GEEZ!   I'm sure O'Malley's PR people are in charge of getting as much attention as possible for him...no matter how silly.

Yes. First, Sherri and Michelle are high-fiving about guys in the locker room, and how they want jobs as camera operators. Not to mention Sherri's repeated "magic Mike" jokes. Then everyone is all gaga over a perfectly normal looking man, focusing on his appearance.

I'm confused. If men treat women the same way, it's seen as offensive, DISRESPECTFUL. Women are not just sex objects put on earth for men to look at and desire. So how does it make sense for a group of grown women to see men as sex objects?

• Love 19

What happened where Raven became the voice to correct??  Sherri said something about the gynecologist in that football discussion.... and Raven said... Sherri.... men do not go to the gynecologist. Then Michelle said something about the 150 Republicans running for President and Raven let her know there were only 14 or however many she said.

I guess that slap down by Ann Coulter really shook her up

• Love 3

Martin O'Malley stands for taxing everything that moves, breathes or exists. Many moved out of Maryland because it become too expensive to live here during his administration. He was lucky they concentrated on his looks and not his policies.

• Love 3

There are so many host and co-hosts of varying status ... some full time, some only on certain days, some part time for 50 days, some regular hosts with other commitments that take them away for however long, plus unscheduled "sick days" and sundry "guest hosts" who just show up randomly ....  I have no idea who is going to be sitting around the table at all any more. 

This^^^^ is what has made the show suck for quite some time. They don't seem to actually know what needs tweaking. The fact Whoopi is still there doesn't help either.

• Love 7

This^^^^ is what has made the show suck for quite some time. They don't seem to actually know what needs tweaking. The fact Whoopi is still there doesn't help either.

Honestly at this point I don't think they care.  This show makes money.  And I think for ABC that is the bottom line.  So what if they are putting on a shit show every day?  If this mess drives away viewers with all the chaos I assume their theory is new viewers will tune to see the chaos.

• Love 3

CBB was so obnoxious during Tepid Topics today. 

That bullying segment hit home for me because I was bullied in school about my weight. In middle school when my Mom and I went to talk to the vice principal her suggested solution was to eventually start a weight loss club at school (which never happened) instead of doing anything to stop the bullying immediately. That crushed my heart so bad and made me feel even more insecure. 

• Love 9

The standing discussion had validity.

Too much sitting has been shown to have detrimental affects.

The younger ones took to it and eventually Joy but not the know it all grand sloth whoopie

'what about the kids that can't stand?'

Yes ok because one in 30 can't stand, the rest should ignore the benefits.

Her logic is beyond faulty. Again

Edited by Dahlia
  • Love 10

I'm with CCB for once in my life in that I'd like to teleport her .....gagged.....to another galaxy. (The gag is for the other galaxy's benefit.)

Good one  :)

So, what the hell was the point of skulking across the back of the stage and walking to the demo table?  These people just have no idea how to produce a good segment….all the distraction pisses me off.   Just sit there off to the side and let the guest present whatever it is they're presenting.  All the nattering and multiple conversations is crazy-making.   

Someone needs to advise Ree Drummond that the whole pumpkin spice craze is intended for food and beverage flavouring, not for application to hair.  Wow.

• Love 8

I hated that Paula told her daughter's story about her crying at home and what names the bullies called her. If the segment is seen, the bullies will no doubt construe it as points for the bullies there. I hated that.  

Edited by ari333
  • Love 8

I agree with the above comment by Matchalove about Whoopi et al sneaking around the back during cooking segments as if they're stealing food. It is distracting and rude. STOP IT.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

While I still find this season better than the last two or three, it still has a ways to go.

CCB really is one-note and that is so disheartening. It would be so interesting to have someone to present a valid opposing view to her Highness Whoopi or even Joy. But there isn't.

Unpopular opinoin time but I prefer Paula to Nicolle and initially was upset at Nicolle's firing and Paula's hiring. But Paula is able to be objective about things while still making her opinion known but isn't so aggressive about it that Nicolle sometimes was. She also doesn't kiss booty or talk about the same things (I"m so out of touch!) as Nicolle often did.

And it was a relief not to have Michelle jump in with derailing jokes, as awful as that sounds. And Raven really is a product of the industry isn't she? Thought she had potential she (like Michelle) are squandering it.

• Love 5

What happened where Raven became the voice to correct?? ...

Then Michelle said something about the 150 Republicans running for President and Raven let her know there were only 14 or however many she said.

Thank god Raven was there to set the record straight.  Because Michelle literally meant that there were one hundred and fifty people running for the Presidency.  Thanks for clearing that up, Raven.  

• Love 11

I so agree Ari333. That was so wrong. Take her to the side and ask personal questions. Wtf has happened to privacy

Plus how ironic (I guess it is irony?) that the advice was for the child to confide in and tell the parents. I can envision the kid saying, "Why? So Mom can tell everyone in tv land that I cried my eyes out while I was trying to act like it didnt' bother me?"

• Love 8

I must really march to a different drummer - Ryan's demands if elected SOH seem rediculous to me.....it must be a unanimous vote? And the part where he wants time to be with his family? I know people do, as they should - but did he make this demand to Romney when running for VPOTUS?

RS just bugs me- she talks (and thinks) in soundbites, 140 characters or less. All churches have jets?

Hope Paula reads the guest author's book with her daughter but I so agree that Paula should have talked to the author privately. Imagine if Sherri were there today - she would have shredded the teacher, school, other children and their parents. Uggg!

I wish they had researched the standing desks - I think it is a great idea from the articles and segments on tv I have seen. The kids like it, it helps in the areas of childhood obesity, diabetes, energy level, concentration and raises their grades. There are stools for those students that get tired, etc. that are also in the classroom. There is a swinging bar at the bottom of the desk. This subject is so easy to google yet the producers and hosts don't bother. They are being used in companies as well.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 5

With the suggestion someone taking/screening for guns at the door of a church  CCB said how is that going to be funded? Then she wants desks for kids to stand up at school who is going to fund that? I live within view of a school  bus parking lot and dumpsters for the district you would be amazed what I see dumped in a dumpsters. Perfectly good desks, benches, bookcases etc.

• Love 2

With the suggestion someone taking/screening for guns at the door of a church  CCB said how is that going to be funded? Then she wants desks for kids to stand up at school who is going to fund that?

Even on the same topic, how are the security guards at every church in the US going to be funded? And how are all the guns the clergy are going to be armed with going to be funded? I laughed when she said, "I gave some alternatives" like she's running for office.  

Honestly, I think I'd even take Elisabeth Hasselbeck over Candace.

• Love 4
Honestly, I think I'd even take Elisabeth Hasselbeck over Candace.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but between the strident voice, the extremely limited range of topics in her wheelhouse, and the close-minded self-righteousness, I'm not liking her on the panel at all. That heavy sigh the other day before she spoke and "educated" everyone on her fundie POV continues to grate.

In college, I had an acquaintance named Leonard who was obsessed with his Jewish heritage. Every conversation somehow wound its way to that subject. At one point, I said something, gently, like "Leonard, not everyone cares about how Judaism relates to every subject," and he looked at me totally astonished, and said, "Why not?"  THAT's the same way I think CCB feels. If it's not about her kids, her narrow view of Christianity, or Fuller House, she is rendered mute.

• Love 16
I live within view of a school  bus parking lot and dumpsters for the district you would be amazed what I see dumped in a dumpsters. Perfectly good desks, benches, bookcases etc.

I don't know if our public schools still do this, but as they got new equipment, old equipment went to a central surplus area where things could be purchased for very little.  A few of my friends and I bought old school desks...painted/decorated them and sold them at our junior woman's club bazaar.  Those things were snapped up like that!   Our university has a fabulous surplus warehouse and auction.  I've purchased 3-4 desk chairs over the years--perfect condition (needed cleaning)...for five dollars  Just sayin'.

• Love 3
She also doesn't kiss booty or talk about the same things (I"m so out of touch!) as Nicolle often did.

This is the BEST thing about Paula.  She gives her opinion in a genuine manner and does NOT back down from Whoopi.

Whoopi has always been RUDE-RUDE-RUDE about her "hilarious" sneaking around and stealing food or products.  Apparently the producers think the viewers like that--I'd bet they encouraged the other panelists today.  It was INSULTING to the guest who was trying to cook with Joy, discuss the recipe AND sell her cookbook.  Does no one have ANY manners anymore?  GOD!  I am really old.

• Love 19

I know Former Nun - it is not funny or cute and has been done to death for years! It serves no purpose and takes time away from the guest and segment time.

Pretty basic recipe for meatballs so why spend time on making them that was very time consuming for the length of the segment when her point was freeze these and look at all the different ways you can serve them....marinara, Asian and who know what else since there was no time. One dish looked Polynesian for example.

Not that I would ever buy anything from Drummond but certainly not a cookbook for a recipe for her meatballs and marinara sauce.

• Love 6

During the discussion about The Dumpster, Raven, our little member of The View Brain Trust, said:  "... something wrong with someone that brass with their words running America."  Can brass be used interchangeably with brash these days???  If so, I'm just going to slash my wrists & get it over with!!!

• Love 16

Good grief - Raven is uneducated and talks in 140 characters or less and admittedly gets her words mixed up. Thinks she is 19 rather than 29.

Whoopi lectures us and can't read a teleprompter or pronounce names, admittedly.

CCB is a Christian and most comments made by her are about that.

What a combination of hosts.

At least Paula has backed away as a born-again. And Joy is fine with me although I don't agree with both of them sometimes - the point of the show, imo.

And Michelle is useless and serves absolutely no purpose on the show.

It is so perplexing how they hire some of these women. One thing I have noticed here is there are no mentions of Rosie P - good or bad. ( mean here, on this site - not the show.)

I miss Meredith, Lisa, Star (except the bride stuff) and even Walters back then. And the first time Rosie O was on - I thought the show was so thought-provoking then even when I disagreed with her.

ETA to add Rosie P not mentioned here on this site -

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 14

Whoopi has always been RUDE-RUDE-RUDE about her "hilarious" sneaking around and stealing food or products.  Apparently the producers think the viewers like that--I'd bet they encouraged the other panelists today.  It was INSULTING to the guest who was trying to cook with Joy, discuss the recipe AND sell her cookbook.  Does no one have ANY manners anymore?  GOD!  I am really old.

It's also insulting to the viewers.  This is what they think we want to see?  Ever since Rosie O left the first time it seemed like the View assumed all the smart viewers left with her because they shifted from what was once an enjoyable yet informative show to a show with bathroom and lack of hygiene humor (Whoopi) lusty oversexed hoochie mama humor (Sherri) and a daily word salad (Elisabeth).  And that was all before Jenny McCarthy joined the panel.

I always knew Barbara looked down on the View's audience (her always saying she wouldn't come out in the snow for the audience was very rude) but now it seems everyone behind the scenes (and even some in front of the scenes (I'm looking at you Whoopi) feel the same way.  If they cared at all about the viewers they would at least try to put on a show that isn't such a trainwreck.

• Love 9

The "hero" bride and her husband were certainly underwhelmed by their honeymoon gift of a Regent Seven Seas cruise, weren't they?  Were they just camera shy (although the bride didn't seem to be) or maybe they just don't like cruising?  It's not for everyone, but at least show some enthusiasm.  Their reaction reminds me of when kiddies are given some great gift on TV and they're so "Whatever..."

Interesting that it was Regent, rather than - ya' know - Disney, who happens to own ABC!

• Love 3

The "hero" bride and her husband were certainly underwhelmed by their honeymoon gift of a Regent Seven Seas cruise, weren't they?  Were they just camera shy (although the bride didn't seem to be) or maybe they just don't like cruising?  It's not for everyone, but at least show some enthusiasm.  Their reaction reminds me of when kiddies are given some great gift on TV and they're so "Whatever..."

Interesting that it was Regent, rather than - ya' know - Disney, who happens to own ABC!

I'm thinking they're a hard-working young couple & probably weren't in a position to take time-off without pay & were thinking that when the vacation was being described.  Not everyone gets two weeks vacation with pay (or have it available to them)!!!  Just sayin'.

• Love 2

^^^Didn't seem as though a time limit was imposed on their taking the trip...surely, someday they'll get vacation time.  They can always decline it, but I think a bit of enthusiasm or appreciation isn't out of the question.

• Love 5

I agree they don't seem to care about their audience, and tptb seem not to care about their "talent" as well. We have witnessed their treatment of co-hosts who were fired, i.e., leaking information, co-hosts finding out they were fired in the media, or finding out in the media that a new panelist was hired and that they are replacing you. Meredith said on her show yesterday that she was told during negotiations that she should take their offer because no one else was going to hire her. They didn't know that she had been offered the job on the morning show. As they say, shit runs downhill. Crappy management, crappy hosts, crappy production, crappy show.

• Love 7

During the discussion about The Dumpster, Raven, our little member of The View Brain Trust, said:  "... something wrong with someone that brass with their words running America."  Can brass be used interchangeably with brash these days???  If so, I'm just going to slash my wrists & get it over with!!!

Thank you. I thought the same. EEK!

• Love 1