Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Poor Yorick

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The Lyons collaborate on a music video, putting aside their differences long enough to capitalize on Hakeem and Jamal's duet from Hakeem's leaked album. Meanwhile, Lucious, who has the federal murder case hanging over his head, decides the answer to his problems is to find Vernon and make him permanently disappear.

The Lyons collaborate on a music video, putting aside their differences long enough to capitalize on Hakeem and Jamal's duet from Hakeem's leaked album. Meanwhile, Lucious, who has the federal murder case hanging over his head, decides the answer to his problems is to find Vernon and make him permanently disappear.

Ha!

Second great episode in a row. Lucious is such a lying pig, but damn he was sexy when he was pontificating to the Empire team and telling Jamal this is not when you hide, this is when you roar. I can't believe that he put Vernon's body in her car. Crazy.

I loved the family meeting after the raids. This show is best when the whole family is together, snarking at each other. I hope that Bubbles, the lawyer sticks around. The actor is so talented and I love how they are using him.

Nice work by Cookie playing to the DA to stop Lucious taking over the radio stations. “Your weave is nice, I am sorry. So is your wig.” Ha. Taraji was great in the flashbacks and in the present day interrogation room. Gawd, Cookie yelling if she dies inside, she did not commit suicide will never cease to be funny as hell. “Tell me that there is a grandma with an ass like this.” What was that on Cookie's head? LOL. Porsha jumping the turnstile. Bwah.

I liked the photoshoot scenes. I am not sure what Michael is doing with Jamal. Nothing good can come from that relationship for Michael. Jamal is somewhere else with his music and his family.

I am surprised that Hakeem is holding out so firm against Lucious. We will see how long it lasts.

I was surprised that Andre has not had a breakdown since killing Vernon, turns out that he might be having a breakdown. I don't know he puts up with Lucious. His desperation to get back into Empire is pathetic. Rhonda cracked up, till death do we part or prison. I was not surprised when Lucious showed up when they were looking for Vernon.

Oh, Anika don’t cry over Cookie’s rejection, team up with Lucious and work to destroy her instead.

I had a good chuckle when the FBI tried to take Jamal's phone from her and started to run away.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

These last 2 episodes have been FIRE!

I gasped and put my hand to my mouth when

• Hakeem stabbed that painting of Jamal.
  • 'Keem & Mal started fighting during the video shoot.
  • That car rolled up on Rhonda & Andre.

I hope Hakeem learns from the Valentina fiasco and keeps it professional with this new singer.

Takin' us to church next week? I'm so here for it.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

So I assume that was Vernon sitting in the DA's car.  I also assume nothing will come of it because shouldn't she have the remains sent to the DNA lab for possible identification?  It won't happen!  On another note, I don't even know what to make of next week's episode.

I never really paid attention to the DA's girls, but they were on display tonight!  They were taking up half the screen when she walked into Lucious' house.

I loved that Thirsty is always hanging around, and even has the right tools for finding a body!  I hope he sticks around the remainder of the season.

Why the hell was Hakeem so upset about the painting?  Taking a knife to it and a bat to his brother is crazy.  Andre is going to have a huge breakdown, I'm surprised his wife didn't make a bigger fuss when he said God was speaking to him.

• Love 5

Andre was very lucky to forget where the body was because the absolute worse idea ever was to have Vernon's body dug up to end the FBI's case.  What do they think?  No one is going to assume he was taken out by Lucious?  That would just put a fire under an investigation.  If Vernon is missing, at some point someone is going to shut down the investigation. 

That was never Lucious's plan, so body in DAs car... not that much of a surprise.  I'm disappointed in Rhonda.  Andre needs some help.

I bet Lucious eventually uses this to take his grandson from them.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I don't know why Michael came back.  Didn't he leave Jamal the first time because Jamal was too married to his music?  It appears nothing has changed.  This is why I believe Michael is back for underhanded reasons.

• Love 2

When Tits McGee got into her car and Vernon's corpse was sitting next to her, I howled. Was not expecting that.

Also, I wasn't expecting to feel sad for Fake Ass Halle Berry Kitty Boo Boo. What's next for her?

• Love 11

That was great!

So much going on, but right now I just want to focus on Rhonda`s expression when Andre was starting his "I was talking to God" thing. For just a second it was pure "oh for fucks sake, not THIS again". It cracked me up. She really is ride or die though. 

• Love 10

Andre and Rhonda might as well kiss their baby boy goodbye because Lucious is gonna take that kid from them.

Rhonda told him she killed Vernon so he's got that to hang over her head. Don't wanna hand the kid over and visit when Lucious says so? Fine, go to prison and never see him.

Andre has a documented history of mental illness and is on the verge of a breakdown. Won't take much to get him committed.

Lucious as much told Andre that he looked at his grandson as an heir and his chance to get fathering right. So Andre Jr he's seeing as his doover. The flashbacks also tell us Lucious's reasoning- he thinks no one who has issues like his mom and Andre should have a kid. Lucious really is thinking he's saving his grandson from Andre. Also he's in position financially and job wise to devote time to molding the little tyke. He's Lucious's John Ross.

This offering up of Empire is just to get close enough to Andre so he'll never see it coming.

Their only recourse would be for Andre to cop to the murder to get Rhonda off so she can run with the kid. Although there was foreshadowing of Andre dying with that show of him standing next to the empty grave. But doubt they'd kill off one of the three sons. If so....Empire would seriously not be playing around.

Lady Prosecutor pissed me off threatening Cookie like that with her boys and especially Andre. You could tell Cookie knew that if she was begging for death in prison, Andre would never leave that place alive.

Becky launching herself off that couch when the Feds came in was great. Michael hiding the photographer the side eye Aldo great.

Hakeem nearly cracking a bat over Jamal's head? How far they've fallen from Season 1. And yet Lucious looked a little proud. He was seeing the fire in Hakeem he's not seeing in Jamal.

• Love 3

Lucius has a witness to Rhonda's confession and I have no doubt he is going to use it to throw her under the bus and take that kid some day.

Cookie can sure think on her feet. She got out of jail and screwed Lucious over at the same time.

Hakeem was right about that painting being ugly. He is so jealous of Jamal but it is obvious that Lucious has very little interest in Jamal's music career.

• Love 2

I see Lee and Co let that Latina magazine get to them lol. 

Grace Gealey is one helluva actress, because I #sweatergawd , it's like the "whomp-whomp-WAAAH" trombone should play every goddamn time her scenes are over. She needs her own "Everybody ha-yates Chriiiiiis" music at this point.

That "great perm/great wig" exchange. LMAO!

I personally felt this was the strongest episode of the season so far. With the focus primarily on the Lyon Family and no guest star of the week, things seemed to feel a little more normal. Plus Andre getting more character development is always fine by me honestly lol

• Love 5

Lucius has a witness to Rhonda's confession and I have no doubt he is going to use it to throw her under the bus and take that kid some day.

Rhonda definitely wasn't on her evil mastermind game tonight when she openly confessed to Lucius of all people, and his shady ass lawyer, about killing Vernon.  I just know they have her on tape.  She's slipping. 

• Love 3

So I assume that was Vernon sitting in the DA's car. I also assume nothing will come of it because shouldn't she have the remains sent to the DNA lab for possible identification? It won't happen! On another note, I don't even know what to make of next week's episode.

Uh, I think that's the whole point of putting Vernon in the car (don't know who else that would be). To expose the fact that her key witness. She is going to report the dead body not knowing she's going to blow her case up. Nothing about that left me confused.
  • Love 2

Pretty much everything involving them digging up Vernon's body had me in stitches.  The way they shot most of it felt like the silliest suspense/horror film ever.  My favorite part was when Rhonda was dramatically all "All the trees have holes!" and then the music ramps up, and it cuts to Andre with a perfect horrified look on his face.  And then Lucious and Thirsty show up, and it gets even more insane, with Thirsty bringing a device to actually find the body (because, of course, Thirsty would have that), and then Lucious say "I am proud of you!" to Andre.  And being dead serious.  Yeah, for Lucious, apologizing means shit.  But killing the guy who could have brought you down and hiding the body for as long as they did?  Now that is worthy of love!  You're so crazy Lucious!

Cookie tricking the prosecutor into stopping Lucious from acquiring the radio station was hilarious.  And totally believable, because the prosecutor is a moron and a half.  Although, after threatening to go after the Lyon kids, I now really hope something bad is coming her way.  Vernon's corpse in her car is a start at least.

Jamal and Hakeem's music video was about as ridiculous as I expected.  Leave it to Lucious to turn what is a rightful FBI raid (he did murder Bunky after-all), into a political statement.  Although, I did love when Cookie sarcastically said how "subtle" it was, because it's not like Cookie's "Free Lucious" concert was the must subtle moment in the world (monkey-suit in a cage!)  I did feel bad that it ended with Jamal and Hakeem fighting again.  Maybe one of these days they'll see through all the bullshit Lucious has caused to come between them.

At this point, I don't know what Anika will have to do in order to have Cookie not 100% hate her ass.  She could probably convince Jay Z and Beyonce to team-up with Lyon's Dynasty, and Cookie wouldn't be convinced.

Andre Royo continues to be one of the best additions to this season.

Noticed it was another episode that was both written and directed by Danny Strong.  His episodes tend to be one of the crazier ones, so that's probably why I enjoyed this one so much.

• Love 8

I enjoyed 99.999% of this episode, and laughed throughout most of it.

1. Jamal's boo needs to get a job -- him sulking around the house and making faces while he fakes reading a magazine is not really where its at. 

2. Hakeem -- I know I shouldn't laugh at his antics, but I can't help myself, he is such a petulant child.  he is very sweet in his own way, and you can tell his parents spoil him, but he just does whatever.  He is upset that Lucius likes Jamal better?  Ruin his painting!  Glad he found his new singer, and glad he is sticking with his mother.

3.  Cookie -- her playing the prosecutor so that she could block Lucius's Apex deal was funny.  As was the weave/wig exchange.  However, I really am disappointed that someone as street smart as Cookie wouldn't be smart enough to realize that Anika would be an asset.  I hated Boo Boo Kitty last year, but I really feel for her this year.  She is the peanut butter to Cookie's jelly.  Maybe Cookie is worried about being overshadowed, but the two women have different strengths.  Speaking of Cookie -- she needs to fire Porsha, I get being a little rough around the edges, but you don't give the cops your boss's name when you've been caught jumping a turnstile.

4. Andre -- I somehow knew that him killing Vernon would get him back into the fold.  That scene with the prosecutor at the end was crazy!  

5. Grandmother Lyon -- this is the only thing I'm really confused about.  It just feels like the Lucius flashbacks scenes come out of nowhere.  Is there an endgame to having them?  I don't see why they need to be in every episode.  I get that this is why Lucius has problems with Andre, but is there another point to having the flashbacks?

Overall, I think it was a good episode!

That was great!

So much going on, but right now I just want to focus on Rhonda`s expression when Andre was starting his "I was talking to God" thing. For just a second it was pure "oh for fucks sake, not THIS again". It cracked me up. She really is ride or die though. 

She really is, I didn't much care for her in Season 1 but I'm coming around to her.  The look on her face was priceless....like "okay, well now I'm going to have to entertain this.....so what is he saying to you Andre?"

Andre is all over the place as far as religion goes. He wants to be right with God, but he also wants Lucious's approval. He's sincerely remorseful and grief-stricken over Vernon, but he also wants to use Vernon's death to his own advantage. His words over Vernon's corpse were a nice way of saying to Lucious, "He was a better dad to me than you were!" But he's also happy to get a hug and a re- admission to Empire from Lucious. Best possible outcome for him and Rhonda: They each admit to the murder, playing up their own part and downplaying the spouse's. The law can't figure out who's shielding whom, and let them both go.

I like the idea that Michael has an ulterior motive for being back with Jamal. But he seems like the one person on this show completely incapable of guile. He needs to stop having a hissy fit every time someone else shows an interest in Jamal. Haven't we been here before?

Hakeem-- what a big baby, having a tantrum because Jamal is getting more attention at the moment. He should have slugged Lucious for calling him a mama's boy. I didn't think the painting was particularly ugly, but it was kind of cliche.

I hope Porsha's not fired; she and Cookie make a great team.

I hope Porsha's not fired; she and Cookie make a great team.

I like Porsha, but you get caught jumping a turnstile and you give your boss's name?  Really?  I don't care where you are from, that's a slap in the face to someone who gave you a job when you couldn't get one.  She didn't even bother to tell Cookie about it, but let it go to a warrant?   Porsha is a fun and loyal assistant, but there is nothing fun about having your boss on the hook for a warrant because you got caught doing something you shouldn't have been doing.  That, coupled with the "I gotta go boo-boo" when Carol was calling to warn Cookie about Frank Gathers is just a bit much.  

• Love 8

MVP of the epi was Thirsty. From the 'How'd you get in here? 'I slept in the guest room with the twins. I needed that, by the way' to bringing his toy he only brings out at Christmas to find Vernon's body, he is an awesome addition to the cast.

And Warren!! My Buffy lovin heart was so happy to see him. I would love it if Sarah Michelle and Alyson showed up in a flashback as cellys of Cookie, with Alyson channeling both Dark and Vampire Willow.

I still just love this crazy, whacked out show so much!

• Love 11

A few things....

1. Cookie's hair----hated it! It made Taraji look like an old, wrinkled hag.

2. Michael. Last season I felt sorry for him because Jamal was an ass. But now I feel he has a problem with Jamal being successful AND famous. Or maybe he thinks Jamal will dump him for that artist.

3. Andre Lyon and the Forest of the Holey Trees: Being the soap opera it is, I was hoping that when they would find Vernon's grave site empty. I also thought when Rhonda told Andre that was enough and they had to get out of there, she would begin miscarrying the baby. And what was the logic behind moving the body of someone who 1. no one knows is dead, 2. no one knows is buried in the Holey Tree Forest, 3. no one knows they did it?

4. Hakeem: He needs to become more emotionally mature because Lucious takes advantage of that.

5. Anika: I totally thought Cookie would do that. Anika cannot be trusted at all.

6 Cookie: Smart tactic giving the Booby misinformation about the radio acquisition.

7. Lucious: Piece of Scum Rating for this week  9.5 out of 10.

• Love 1

Thirsty is a keeper.

I'm starting to wonder if Thisty is too good to be true. A great twist would be if he's working for the Feds and/or is a snitch and Lucious has been dumb enough and arrogant enough to pull him close enough to get the goods on him.

Think about it; he met him in the prison visiting room. The FBI or Boobs Prosecutor could've easily set that up complete with making him look all the more desirable by having the prison guards harass him into leaving so that Lucious thinks he's on the up and up. With Thirsty in as Lucious' clean up guy, he's right there to get all the intel; he's got the goods about Vernon, what he's trying to get is the goods about Bunky. Thirsty is either the best shady opportunist around or he's playing games.

And I'd lay good money that in the course of this investigation, it'll be outed the Lucious was the one who snitched and got Cookie arrested. When she finds that out, it'll be between her, Rhonda, and Andre on who shot Lucious (you know they're gonna go there sooner or later) with Boo Boo Kitty being the one who actually ends up doing it.

• Love 4

Cookie -- her playing the prosecutor so that she could block Lucius's Apex deal was funny.  As was the weave/wig exchange.  However, I really am disappointed that someone as street smart as Cookie wouldn't be smart enough to realize that Anika would be an asset.  I hated Boo Boo Kitty last year, but I really feel for her this year.  She is the peanut butter to Cookie's jelly.  Maybe Cookie is worried about being overshadowed, but the two women have different strengths.  Speaking of Cookie -- she needs to fire Porsha, I get being a little rough around the edges, but you don't give the cops your boss's name when you've been caught jumping a turnstile.

I know, I really want Cookie and Anika to be allies. They're two sides of the same coin - street smarts and book smarts, AND they both know Lucious intimately. Anika would have a ton of contacts from her A&R days. If they joined forces they could be unstoppable.

That flashback scene when Cookie was begging to die in prison was amazing. And when she was getting it together and getting ready to call back the DA, her hands were shaking - that was some great work. (And I love the weave/wig exchange, although the DA's hair IS wack.)

When Rhonda was confessing, I was like "SHUT UP." You treat Lucious like the cops - you don't say SHIT to him without your representation present. Thirsty represents Lucious, not Rhonda. She's going to prison. Also, Lucious is going to take that kid, which will be easier if Rhonda is in prison - he can say that Andre is unfit to raise the baby on his own.

I like Porsha but Cookie needs to fire her ass. Why would you give your boss's name, particularly when your boss spent 17 years in prison? And is Cookie? Chile ...

• Love 1

Loved this episode.

Hakeem does need to grow up though. He really acted like a spoiled child with Jamal though the music video did provide some moments of chaos.

That bonkers photographer fella has more of a personality than Michael does. Michael giving him the side eye was a little funny though.

Roxanne really does seem determined to get Lucious behind bars. The way she got Cookie on side was pretty vicious though.

Andre and Rhonda are going to regret letting Lucious in on the fact that they got rid of Vernon's corpse though.

Great music this week, 9/10

• Love 1
Pretty much everything involving them digging up Vernon's body had me in stitches.  The way they shot most of it felt like the silliest suspense/horror film ever.  My favorite part was when Rhonda was dramatically all "All the trees have holes!" and then the music ramps up, and it cuts to Andre with a perfect horrified look on his face.  And then Lucious and Thirsty show up, and it gets even more insane, with Thirsty bringing a device to actually find the body (because, of course, Thirsty would have that), and then Lucious say "I am proud of you!" to Andre.  And being dead serious.  Yeah, for Lucious, apologizing means shit.  But killing the guy who could have brought you down and hiding the body for as long as they did?  Now that is worthy of love!  You're so crazy Lucious!

I cracked up all during that.  "All of the trees have holes," and I laughed when the dramatic music played, and then Lucious and his crooked lawyer show up because Lucious had a feeling his son probably would kill Vernon, and they find Vernon, of course they do.  Now what other show on TV today would have such a crazy, insane scene?  None!

Sometimes the music in this show, not the music they sell on iTunes, but the "dun dun DUN" music cracks me up.  This show reminds me of a novella, so crazy and over the top.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

How much time has passed in Empire-world since Rhonda revealed her pregnancy? Shouldn't she have started showing by now? There was a scene of her having an ultrasound at the end of last season, so unless she found a shady doctor (entirely possible on this show), we're supposed to believe she's actually pregnant.

What's going to be the story with Hakeem's new discovery? She can't just hop into the hot tub with him after five seconds like the other girl.

• Love 1

What's going to be the story with Hakeem's new discovery? She can't just hop into the hot tub with him after five seconds like the other girl.

Since she's a good girl she probably won't get into Hakeem's hot tub until they're married - and with the speed this show operates it, the wedding will be soon. I only approve of this storyline if Naomi Campbell shows up to wreck the wedding.

• Love 3

How much time has passed in Empire-world since Rhonda revealed her pregnancy? Shouldn't she have started showing by now? There was a scene of her having an ultrasound at the end of last season, so unless she found a shady doctor (entirely possible on this show), we're supposed to believe she's actually pregnant.

The actress has posted pics of herself in character and they have Rhonda rocking a belly bump in furture eps so it seem shes def pregent. . Lucious was in jail for three month. So Rhonda is probably around 4 months. She wouldnt necessarily be showing yet.

The actress has posted pics of herself in character and they have Rhonda rocking a belly bump in furture eps so it seem shes def pregent. . Lucious was in jail for three month. So Rhonda is probably around 4 months. She wouldnt necessarily be showing yet.

Unless...it's a fake bump! I wouldn't put it past Rhonda, or the writers to have some character make a Beyonce reference, then the Beyhive will lose their minds on Twitter. But you're right, at four months, a woman might look pregnant or just had a big lunch, if that. I guess I'm just used to TV shows playing up the character's symptoms a bit more, with morning sickness and fainting and constant bump-cradling.

I was more thrown by Rhonda's tight jeans than by her lack of a baby bump. Maybe she wouldn't be showing yet, but I'd think she'd want her baby to have a bit more room to breathe.

I laughed out loud about a half dozen times in this episode. Best of the season so far.

• Love 2

Leave it to Lucious to turn what is a rightful FBI raid (he did murder Bunky after-all), into a political statement.  

As far as I can tell, these raids have nothing to do with looking for evidence in the killing of Bunky. There can't conceivably be a link to evidence from Bunky's murder and records at Lyon Dynasty because Lyon Dynasty did not exist at that time. Prosecutor Boobsalot is just on a rampage, as epitomized by arresting Cookie for "Cookie's" jumping a turnstile knowing that real Cookie is innocent and threatening to go after the kids. She just wants to get Lucious to get him to flip on other hip-hop criminals or to bump up her resume as she tries to become Attorney General.

3.  Cookie -- her playing the prosecutor so that she could block Lucius's Apex deal was funny.  As was the weave/wig exchange.  However, I really am disappointed that someone as street smart as Cookie wouldn't be smart enough to realize that Anika would be an asset.  I hated Boo Boo Kitty last year, but I really feel for her this year.  She is the peanut butter to Cookie's jelly.  Maybe Cookie is worried about being overshadowed, but the two women have different strengths.

There is no way that Cookie in particular, let alone anyone, should trust Anika. Putting aside the personal nastiness to Cookie and the possibility that she will be a bad influence on Hakeem and that she might want to get back with Lucious, Anika stabbed Empire in back by trying to swipe its artists for Creedmoor. That business-related betrayal is enough reason to keep her the hell away. 

Comment about Rhonda and Andre covering for each other accidentally deleted

In reality, the approach of "I did it ... let Rhonda go" and "I did it...let Andre go" would likely result in both Rhonda and Andre getting convicted.

Unless...it's a fake bump! I wouldn't put it past Rhonda, or the writers to have some character make a Beyonce reference, then the Beyhive will lose their minds on Twitter. But you're right, at four months, a woman might look pregnant or just had a big lunch, if that. I guess I'm just used to TV shows playing up the character's symptoms a bit more, with morning sickness and fainting and constant bump-cradling.

I think in a previous ep they had an ultrasound, so Rhonda is pregnant fo sho. 

• Love 4

I like the idea that Michael has an ulterior motive for being back with Jamal. But he seems like the one person on this show completely incapable of guile. He needs to stop having a hissy fit every time someone else shows an interest in Jamal. Haven't we been here before?

In defense of Michael, what seemed to set him off wasn't merely the photographers excessive interest in Jamal, but that Jamal wasn't doing anything to rebuff those advances even those they were made right in front of Michael. Great eye-roll acting on "Michael's" part though.

• Love 1

A couple of thoughts, then I will crouch down low to the ground, perhaps on my belly, even, to avoid the tomatoes sure to be hurled my way...

I think both Rhonda and Boo Boo Kitty are underrated as ACTRESSES. I think they both play their parts very well, and both are polarizing - ya either love them or HATE them - which is probably what the producers intended.  Also, I have been kind of rooting for Cookie and BBK to team up against Lucious. I think it would be the most fun for him to have to worry about both of them, if they became frenemies and allies.

Also, am I the only person in the known universe who cannot stand Jamal? I kind of liked him a little last year, although I felt he wallowed a bit too much in the past, but I just stone cold hate him this year. He seems so self-righteous and smug, and I'm not sure it's just because he's "running" Empire now. Anyway, I don't even love to hate him, like I do Lucious; right now, I just hate hate him. Maybe the producers are wanting that kind of reaction as well.

Finally, that prosecutor is ridiculous with her giant breasts hanging out in almost every scene. No way in hell would a federal prosecutor be caught dead wearing those outfits, not even on a night out on the town or some other kind of festivity.

I love the over-the-topness of this insanity with all my heart, but maybe just a jib or jab or realism here and there wouldn't hurt.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

Also, am I the only person in the known universe who cannot stand Jamal? I kind of liked him a little last year, although I felt he wallowed a bit too much in the past, but I just stone cold hate him this year. He seems so self-righteous and smug, and I'm not sure it's just because he's "running" Empire now. Anyway, I don't even love to hate him, like I do Lucious; right now, I just hate hate him. Maybe the producers are wanting that kind of reaction as well.

No, you aren't. I thought he was tiresome last season and I think he's obnoxious this season.

• Love 3

Speaking of Rhonda, I kinda wouldn't mind knowing more about her life before she became a member of the Lyon clan.  Is there an ex-boyfriend or husband in her background?  What's her family like?  Are her parents still alive?  Does she have any siblings?  Ditto for Anika by the way.

• Love 4

I feel fairly confident that the producers want us to love Jamal and be happy that Lucious got over his homophobia to make him the heir apparent. 

Speaking of Rhonda, I kinda wouldn't mind knowing more about her life before she became a member of the Lyon clan.  Is there an ex-boyfriend or husband in her background?  What's her family like?  Are her parents still alive?  Does she have any siblings?  Ditto for Anika by the way.

We saw BBK's dad last season ...he's a doctor who signed off on Lucious's supposed good health even though at the time he was thought to have ALS. 

I think we also had some statement from Rhonda that she comes from a relatively poor family, and there was a flashback to Rhonda and Andre hanging out in college. 

But I would love more development of those characters. As well as basically all the others. A little tired of flashbacks to Lucious's childhood at least as they've shown so far. Without knowing that Mama Lucious has BPD, there hasn't been enough showing in those scenes to make them interesting or worthwhile. 

• Love 2

Instead of useless cameo appearances week to week, let's get introduced to Rhonda's and Anika's family.  Clashing families are always fun.  Surely, Rhonda's racist father hates that she married a black man just as much as Andre's racist father hates that he married a white woman.  In a twisted soap fashion, the two racist fathers team up to torpedo their childrens' marriage.  Surely, Anika has a handsome young bisexual half-brother who arrives and takes an interest in Jamal.  Lucious doesn't like that either and he's now pulling double duty to destroy his oldest son's marriage while trying to keep a member of Anika's family away from his middle son.  Oh the possibillities that this show has but........................................................Sigh!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

I read an interview with the actress who plays Rhonda and she said Rhonda came from a poor family (she might have used the phrase "white trash"), went to Penn on scholarship, and worked her way through - basically what she said in that scene when she was signing the stock paperwork on Andre's behalf. That back story might be interesting, particularly seeing how she tried to deal with Andre's family, who came from nothing but was wealthy by the time she met Andre. Lucious has clearly never had any time for her - in that scene she said she'd been with Andre ten years and Lucious had never bothered to learn anything about her. But, like, who was at their wedding? Did they elope?

Anika's biracial - dad is white, mom is black, her father is a doctor, and she was a debutante. She grew up privileged. I think that's all we're going to get about her. If she and Cookie aren't going to be allies, I wish they'd give her something more interesting to do.

• Love 2