Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Poor Yorick

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Rhonda and Anika have been made members of this central family.  There's no reason not to elaborate further on their characters.

Anika's isn't family. She's Lucious's ex girlfriend. And honestly now that they're broken up she feels kinda out of place. She's college educated, smart comes from a well to do family, you mean to tell me she can't  find a job. Why is she insistent on staying involved in the Lyon family. How many of you would or have gone out your way to stay connected with your exes' family when there is no kids involved. Lucious sleeping with Cookie was the straw that broke the camels back in her relationship with Lucious and now she's desperate to work for the woman who screwed her man in her bed. Makes no sense. That why I hope the playing everybody and planning to take down Lyon Dynasty and Empire, otherwise she's just pathetic. It kinda feels like the writers don't know what to do with her.

Edited by aprilbabe
  • Love 7

Anika has no place because Lucious and Cookie are both all about their family and their sons. They try to backstab each other constantly, but their enmity only goes so far because even if one bests the other it will all go their kids after they die anyway. Anika was ready to hand over their legacy to their Arch White Nemesis, clearly unforgivable. I fully expect her to wind up pregnant with Hakeem's baby, that's about the only thing she can do to "prove" she's now a loyal Lyon.

GG Cookie on finding an out, I was cringing all through her flashbacks thinking she'd sell herself out to avoid prison again. And, of course, DA dumb dumb fell for it. Damn is Porsha going to get it when Cookie gets back to the studio. I don't know if Cookie can afford to fully jettison her, though, she knows an awful lot from being her PA for so long. She probably knows more than enough for DA dumb dumb to break Cookie's parole.

Oh, poor Andre. And poor Rhonda. Lucious is just dying inside, with enough information to bring them both to heel and an incoming grandchild to snatch away and screw up. Cookie probably didn't even realize she was setting Andre up for failure last episode, Lucious probably never told her about his bipolar mother.

Meh, I'm not even that upset at Hakeem. He's a kid and too scared to really go after his dad, so he's going after Jamal who's taken his place. It's got to burn to realize your status as chosen child was all a sham. He doesn't realize that Lucious still has his hopes still pinned on him. Let him got season on the business side with Cookie and then put together enough goodies to lure Hakeem back when the time is right. He'll probably go back too, because he will get fed up with Cookie even though she is hard, yet honest, with him.

Michael, shoudln't you be in culinary school? You are proving Lucious and Cookie right in their evaluation of you. Go apply for Top Chef, something, jeez.

• Love 1

The ratings dropped yet again for the fourth time this season. What a difference a season makes. The numbers were rising from week to week last season, but this season they're dropping from week to week.

What do you think that means?

Maybe people aren't watching this show live. I don't watch most shows live anymore.

• Love 4

Instead of useless cameo appearances week to week, let's get introduced to Rhonda's and Anika's family.  Clashing families are always fun.  Surely, Rhonda's racist father hates that she married a black man just as much as Andre's racist father hates that he married a white woman.  In a twisted soap fashion, the two racist fathers team up to torpedo their childrens' marriage.  Surely, Anika has a handsome young bisexual half-brother who arrives and takes an interest in Jamal.  Lucious doesn't like that either and he's now pulling double duty to destroy his oldest son's marriage while trying to keep a member of Anika's family away from his middle son.  Oh the possibillities that this show has but........................................................Sigh!

There is actually a famous copyright case based on a play with almost this exact storyline.  Well, not the bi-sexual half-brother part.

The ratings dropped yet again for the fourth time this season.  What a difference a season makes.  The numbers were rising from week to week last season, but this season they're dropping from week to week.  

Maybe people aren't watching this show live. I don't watch most shows live anymore.

My .02 would be that last year this show was brand new and spread by word of mouth which is why the ratings seemed to be higher week after week.  Some of those people were people that maybe just watched and decided that they didn't like the show, or they preferred something else.  Isn't there something actually called the Sophmore Curse that describes this?  Or does that have to do with the weight you gain sophmore year of college.....either way.....

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Great show last night with some hilarious lines and moments.  I fell over when Dre reacted to Thirsty's corpse detector.  Then there was Lucious trying to insult Cookie with the Grandma crack and her walking out shaking her tail and saying "Grandma didn't have no ass like this".  Loved Rhonda's "ride or die".  And of course having old Vernon riding shotgun in the sleazebag prosecutor's car was priceless.  There were too many good things about the episode to count.

• Love 3

I've never liked Jamal, but his story line is really boring thus far. I really really hate that they brought Michael back because I was glad his dullness was over, and it just made sense for the character. I don't really get why the character is here and if he's ever going to do something besides mope around. I'm also really tiring of Jussie's singing face, he's always making the same facial expressions.

I have a soft spot for Hakeem's antics, Can't help it.

I am a very busty lady, almost certainly more busty than the DA but the amount of cleavage is insane - I quite literally can't stop looking at them.

One of my issues with this season is how they are pushing the black and gay politics. I'm black myself, but I just found season 1 handled it in a way that felt authentic to the characters, now Jamal is being hero worshipped and the racial stuff feels...forced or not unauthentic somehow. Like, I don't really buy the characters in regards to the racial stuff, that they'd act and react the way they are.

I did love how they brought back the crazy to this episode - Empire is best for me when it doesn't take itself too seriously. I was not expecting that final scene at all.

• Love 2

I've never liked Jamal, but his story line is really boring thus far. I really really hate that they brought Michael back because I was glad his dullness was over, and it just made sense for the character. I don't really get why the character is here and if he's ever going to do something besides mope around. I'm also really tiring of Jussie's singing face, he's always making the same facial expressions.

I have a soft spot for Hakeem's antics, Can't help it.

I am a very busty lady, almost certainly more busty than the DA but the amount of cleavage is insane - I quite literally can't stop looking at them.

One of my issues with this season is how they are pushing the black and gay politics. I'm black myself, but I just found season 1 handled it in a way that felt authentic to the characters, now Jamal is being hero worshipped and the racial stuff feels...forced or not unauthentic somehow. Like, I don't really buy the characters in regards to the racial stuff, that they'd act and react the way they are.

I did love how they brought back the crazy to this episode - Empire is best for me when it doesn't take itself too seriously. I was not expecting that final scene at all.

I did not like the gorilla suit at all, and I wish they would have left that out.

The final scene was pretty awesome though.....like BOOM!

• Love 1

The ratings dropped yet again for the fourth time this season.  What a difference a season makes.  The numbers were rising from week to week last season, but this season they're dropping from week to week.

Is that 7-day ratings, too, or just same day? I ask because I love watching the shift to alternate viewing platforms.

They were taking up half the screen when she walked into Lucious' house.

Yeah, the boobs were well into the room before the rest of her body was. I'm sure they're fake but why do women of a certain age get such perky boob jobs? It looks so obvious. Whatever, I can't take that character seriously with the way she dresses so inappropriately for her job. She's like someone from a Batman or James Bond movie to me.

Cookie tricking the prosecutor into stopping Lucious from acquiring the radio station was hilarious.

I don't get any of that. Are music companies allowed to own radio stations? I guess it's not payola if you'd be paying yourself but it still seems like something the FCC or FTC or SEC would have put a stop to from the get go.

I get that this is why Lucius has problems with Andre, but is there another point to having the flashbacks?

To give Kelly Rowland some acting work?

I did not like the gorilla suit at all, and I wish they would have left that out.

I didn't like it either until I found out it was an homage to an old Greta Garbo movie. FFS, that's a really obscure reference for what is likely the majority of this show's audience. It's a really obscure reference for probably most of the TV-viewing audience in general. Plus, I think Lee Daniels should know better than to associate Black characters with gorillas given the racist subtext.

• Love 1

Agreed.  I really liked Jamal last season, but this season he's just too precious.  I also think Jussie needs to top smelling himself because all his damn songs sound the same--is there much depth of talent going on, or is he just a one-trick pony?  He ain't going to be the next Usher, that's for sure.

• Love 2

Maybe people aren't watching this show live. I don't watch most shows live anymor

Personally, I think it means that people are looking for more!  This show was fresh and new last season and it worked mostly because of all the hype.  The hype is dying down and I think that people are looking for more than just buffoonery from the characters and pointless cameo appearances.  Interestingly, a poster on another board said that she can't take all of the musical performances because if she wanted to see that, she'd be better off just watching music videos.  She also mentioned that she wanted to see storylines beefed up.  I tend to agree with the musical aspect being a bit of a problem myself.  There's too much of it, despite the fact that the show's premise is about music.  One or two musical performances per episode are enough.  The rest of the episode should focus on building the characters and stories.  This show is in big trouble if it continues to drop several times more.  We shall see!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 2

Personally, I think it means that people are looking for more!  This show was fresh and new last season and it worked mostly because of all the hype.  The hype is dying down and I think that people are looking for more than just buffoonery from the characters and pointless cameo appearances.  Interestingly, a poster on another board said that she can't take all of the musical performances because if she wanted to see that, she'd be better off just watching music videos.  She also mentioned that she wanted to see storylines beefed up.  I tend to agree with the musical aspect myself.  There's too much of it, despite the fact that the show's premise is about music.  One or two musical performances per episode are enough.  The rest of the episode should focus on building the characters and stories.  This show is in big trouble if it continues to drop several times more.  We shall see!

I think that's a good point that maybe people are looking for more, but I see this show like a novella.  It's pure entertainment, it's not PBS.  I watch "How To Get Away With Murder" and that show is just crazy, plots all over the place; it's not realistic when it comes to the law, but for me, it's entertaining.  

• Love 4

I think this show makes fun of itself, other soaps, and the real world. So the result is over-the-top and campy.

I'm not sure how well the Nielsen's represent tv viewing with all of the  "on demand" viewing these days.

• Love 1

IMHO, JMO, and every other disclaimer I can think of.....

Jamal doesn't have the chops to carry the storyline, which is what is basically happening. His singing didn't bother me too much last year, because it seemed like he WAS really trying to be an artist - seriously, now, it's a teevee show, so I don't expect Marvin Gaye quality songwriting and singing - BUT this year, it's all about vanity for Jamal. Jussie doesn't have the voice or the acting skills to carry the show so it's kind of a problem. I really notice the autotune this season.

And for ME, just me, no one else, not speaking for anyone else, just me... I HATE HATE HATE the way Lucious is treating Dre. Letting him think he's damaged goods and he has him convinced no one else would want him which is why he's so desperate to go back to Empire. I hate the way they are writing Dre, too, with such clawing desperation (the only word I can think of to describe it) that he HAS to work at Empire and only Empire. Even with a mental illness, which by the way is not untreatable, with his credentials and education, he can get a job. It's silly to me.

Hakeem is my favourite right now because for whatever reason he gives ZERO FUCKS what Lucious and the other brothers think of him. I believe he loves his brothers and even his dad, but Cookie really unleashed a "little Lyon" when she won Hakeem over to her side.

Speaking of Cookie, and Lucious, for me, even though I want Lucious as dead as Vernon, sometimes, I want Cookie and Lucious to be the end game. They stray too far afield from that and I lose interest. I'm not saying I want them running back into each other's arms; there has to be adversity for there to be a rewarding payoff, but the "Cookie sneaking around trying to get Lucious, who always somehow outsmarts her" has worn thin for me.

I'm still watching the show and will until the bitter end. Plus, it's only episode four (?) so there may be some stuff coming we don't recognize yet. But those are MY reasons for why ratings may be down.

• Love 2

It's a really obscure reference for probably most of the TV-viewing audience in general. Plus, I think Lee Daniels should know better than to associate Black characters with gorillas given the racist subtext.

^^^^ All of this, RIGHT HERE. That scene is still stuck in my craw... **side-eyeing Lee Daniels, or whoever thought that was a good idea**

• Love 5

Hakeem has always been my favourite. He acts so immature sometimes, but i find him entertaining, and i love that he gives zero fuck. Its ironic he is the immature one, but also the most stubborn and independent, he listens to noone, not cookie, his dad or brothers. I need him to grow up though, hope the new girl will help him do that, they look like they will have great chemistry. I love loucious' lawyer, please can he stay?

• Love 1

Since she's a good girl she probably won't get into Hakeem's hot tub until they're married - and with the speed this show operates it, the wedding will be soon. I only approve of this storyline if Naomi Campbell shows up to wreck the wedding.

I approve of more Naomi Campbell too!

I laughed when they showed that Rhonda was out there digging up corpses in heeled boots. You wear sneakers for that, Rhonda! (Not that I would know.)

This is Empire honey!  We're lucky she didn't show up in stilettos and a Ferragamo dress!

• Love 1

It's interesting to me that, in a way, Jamal and Hakeem have switched places this season. Last year, Hakeem was the favored son and Jamal was the underdog, scrapping to build his own identity apart from Empire. The great irony of course is that by proving himself to Lucious and getting the nod to be head of the company, Jamal is as much under his father's thumb as Hakeem was in S1. This is why, IMO, it feels like Jamal has lost some of his agency. Meanwhile, Hakeem is beginning to come into his own - albeit in fits and starts. And he's also starting to achieve the closeness with Cookie that Jamal once had.

For me, the writers deserve much credit for deftly upending the S1 family dynamics.

Of course, Andre remains the odd brother out. But with him coming back to Empire, I am curious to see if/how long that remains the case.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5

I love Hakeem with Cookie. When Cookie threatened to run a car over Luscious' snake oiled ass...I died laughing. I'm like or lord, look at this family, then Luscious threatening her to say something again, it's just funny.  And all this after calling Cookie the love of his life, it's good TV.

• Love 1

The music is definitely picking up. Ain't About the Money is in constant rotation for me.

Lmfao Cookie's assistant jumping a turnstile and giving Cookie's name! I forgot her name.

Edited by Queena

The idea that Lucious will try to take Andre's grandson from him is interesting, because I feel like the foreshadowing is pointing to the baby being a girl and also "looking" white -- reinforcing the idea of Andre as "different" from his family, and also Andre never being able to do anything right in his father's eyes. But I admit, the "little boy raised by a bipolar parent" images have been pretty blatant. I wish we were shown Lucious at a variety of ages (unless his mom died shortly thereafter -- I admit, I don't know or have forgotten if the show told us) with his mom. Those scenes are very effective, but come off as feeling...random, at times.

I'm also over Michael and have no idea why the show brought him back. He seemed pathologically unsuited to Jamal's more upscale lifestyle and burgeoning fame before -- why he comes back when Jamal is now the de facto head of the company makes no sense to me. Also, we haven't seen him around enough for me to consider him sympathetic -- that we're supposed to think Jamal is being mean to him when he dares to run the company or do publicity for his album. All I think is Michael needs to get over himself and just leave, so Jamal can find someone else more suited to his lifestyle.

I remember a TVLine interview with Ilene Chaiken that said

"watch out for Laura." Well, now we've met Laura. Means there has to be more to her than "saves Jamal's girl group."

Edited by Eolivet

Jamal doesn't have the chops to carry the storyline, which is what is basically happening. His singing didn't bother me too much last year, because it seemed like he WAS really trying to be an artist - seriously, now, it's a teevee show, so I don't expect Marvin Gaye quality songwriting and singing - BUT this year, it's all about vanity for Jamal. Jussie doesn't have the voice or the acting skills to carry the show so it's kind of a problem. I really notice the autotune this season.

And for ME, just me, no one else, not speaking for anyone else, just me... I HATE HATE HATE the way Lucious is treating Dre. Letting him think he's damaged goods and he has him convinced no one else would want him which is why he's so desperate to go back to Empire. I hate the way they are writing Dre, too, with such clawing desperation (the only word I can think of to describe it) that he HAS to work at Empire and only Empire. Even with a mental illness, which by the way is not untreatable, with his credentials and education, he can get a job. It's silly to me.

I disagree about Jussie Smollett.  He's one of the few reasons I'm watching.  The rest of them feel like cardboard cutouts or cartoon characters.  Cookie is kind of fun too but she's getting pretty close to a cartoon sassy black woman.  Anymore self-references to her ass and I'm pushing her in that category, too.

I agree with you about Andre, though.  Neither he nor Annika need to work for those companies.  Annika especially, though I hope she's just there to triple cross one of them. 

I hope the lousy characters of Ford and Whiteman bring down the cameo count in future seasons.  These people feel shoe horned in and written so poorly it's hard to believe they're still recurring.  The Kelly Rowland thing can stop anytime, too.  We get it.  Lucious was raised by a bipolar mom.   Bipolar people really don't go through life with that look on their face, like they're concussed or something.

I'm also tired of the little puns on the name Lyon-- cub, roar, etc.  

Like so many other shows, I'll keep watching to see the clothes and real estate and decor, and the pretty people.  

I didn't mind Rhonda's heels at the digging party.   I was just glad she got those super-long bangs out of her eyes for it.  

Speaking of bangs, I'm not a fan of the Cleopatra wig on Cookie.   That patchwork suit was kind of amazing, though.  But  that leather studded thing where the top, pants and purse all matched?  Blech.  

The idea that Lucious will try to take Andre's grandson from him is interesting, because I feel like the foreshadowing is pointing to the baby being a girl and also "looking" white -- reinforcing the idea of Andre as "different" from his family, and also Andre never being able to do anything right in his father's eyes. But I admit, the "little boy raised by a bipolar parent" images have been pretty blatant. I wish we were shown Lucious at a variety of ages (unless his mom died shortly thereafter -- I admit, I don't know or have forgotten if the show told us) with his mom. Those scenes are very effective, but come off as feeling...random, at times.

I know that Andre told Lucius the child was a boy, but perhaps the child will end up being a girl.  I would love to see Lucius raise a little girl to be his ultimate "heir"  Although I feel like the concept of family is so important to Lucius that it won't much matter what the child looks like, just the fact that he knows that the child somehow comes from him will be the most important thing.  Unless, as someone else pointed out, the child was the product of one of Andre/Rhonda's sex games.  That would be an absolute disaster.

Bringing michael back is a mistake, he was boring last season and still boring now. He drags jamal down, please bring back Ryan.

I'm not a huge fan of either of them for Jamal.  I felt like Ryan was a little too pushy, and at the time it kinda worked because of what Jamal was working through.  And Michael feels too much like an angry housewife/trophy boyfriend.  I'd like to see jamal with a nice, solid guy, maybe not even in the industry....maybe a business type, or a doctor or something.  Someone that can being his own stuff into the relationship, but someone who isn't so pushy either.  someone comfortable in their own skin. 

• Love 2

So...aside from the excellent shock value, it seems like a bad idea to stick dead Vernon in Prosecutor Boobs-A-Lot's car, immediately after Lucious kept saying she'll never find Vernon. Isn't that giving her more reason to investigate the family?

• Love 1

No puns or insult intended, but this season's pacing and direction reminds me of methods in old vaudeville sketches: blackout gags. Wikipedia defines it as "The term "blackout gag" can also apply to fast paced TV or film comedy, such as Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, where there may not literally be a blackout, but a quick cut to the next gag."

The quick cuts and odd pacing of the scenes are head-spinning and not in a good way. I know the fast pace is one of the things that made Empire a hit but the pace has quickened this season to its detriment, with a little more time needed for further character development. Now that we are familiar with these characters we'd like to know a little more about them, other than that Lucious is an asshole, over and over again. That's a given.

Cookie is the heart and soul of this show and her constantly losing out to Lucious is a downer. Jamal just doesn't fit in as seamlessly as last season. Feels wrong. Menacing corporate type - naw.

So...aside from the excellent shock value, it seems like a bad idea to stick dead Vernon in Prosecutor Boobs-A-Lot's car, immediately after Lucious kept saying she'll never find Vernon. Isn't that giving her more reason to investigate the family?

In real life it would be an awful idea.  In nighttime soap opera world its a great idea!  The only thing that would be better is if she put it in a dress and hid it in her attic...but hey, I'm not gonna tell the writers how to do their job!

• Love 1

Another good one. That said, the show's still got problems and Lucius' omnipotence being the worst. His defiance when the Feds raided Empire was typical. Lucius' retaliation against DA Ford was anything but, to say the least. When Lucius stood naked in front of DA Ford, instead of staring at him, she should have laughed. Knowing Lucius' ego, if laughing at his junk wouldn't at least start to cut him down to size, I don't know what would. Lucius' parenting skills still leave much to be desired, from his pitting Jamal & Hakeem against each other again to his perpetual cruelty to Andre, making Andre so desperate to win Lucius' approval that he would even resort to stealing Vernon's corpse in order to get the Feds off Lucius' trail.

Andre & Rhonda's Misadventures In Grave-robbing backfired on two levels: 1) They couldn't find the body themselves because they not only buried him in a forest with identical trees, they searched in the dark, making things even tougher and 2) Lucius & Thirsty found them while Thirsty's "corpse detector" found Vernon, or what was left of him. Andre may think he's back in Lucius' good graces but chances are that he & Rhonda will pay a huge price and, like other posters suspect, that price could be their child, whom Lucius could want custody of in exchange for their freedom & in a misguided notion to "protect" it from bipolar disorder, which has not only affected Andre, it affected Lucius' mama and if Andre & Rhonda refuse, then chances are Lucius will turn them in to the cops, which will be one of the rare times he'll have any use for law enforcement.

Re Cookie, it looked like she was doomed when DA Ford busted her thanks to Porsha, but Cookie found a way to not only play Ford, she ruined Lucius' radio deal in the process. As for Cookie's relationship with Annika, I felt kind of sorry for Annika at the end of the episode. Despite her problems with Annika, Cookie needs to realize that Annika can be useful when she wants to be. If they can't be BFFs, then they should at least be frenemies.

Re Hakeem & Jamal, Hakeem's showing more ass than Kim K in her sex tape, whether it was his trashing Jamal's portrait, picking a fight with Jamal during the video shoot or quitting in a huff. That new girl singer who sang the Spanish version of "Blue Bayou" so beautifully could be just what Hakeem needs, in more ways than one. As for Jamal, he can be a little preachy at times, but at least he cares about right and wrong, which is much more than I can say for Lucius. About Michael, since he's an LGBT activist, at least he's got more to do now than he did last season, plus I don't blame him for giving the side-eye to the artist who painted Jamal's portrait, who clearly has the hots for Jamal.

About DA Ford finding Vernon's corpse in her car, EW! That was too wrong on too many levels.  She got played by Lucius & Cookie, which serves her right for being and dressing so stupid in the first place.

Edited by DollEyes

It actually feels like the pace has slowed from last season to me. It was at breakneck speed.  I feel like the last 2 episodes were as good as anything last season.  Also the ratings were not going to keep going up every week but it's not like they have fallen to new levels of lows.   The show also gains a lot of ratings with people watching it in the following 7 days. The show is a hit.   It's just not the shiny new penny.  To me it already improved on some things from last season.  It can work on some things but I'm still being entertained and look forward to it. 

Hakeem became a favourite toward the end of last season and I really enjoy him.  I still like Jamal but no scenes with Cookie hurts him.  And the brothers need more scenes together. It hurts the show for the characters to be isolated, e.g. Lucious the first 2 weeks.   Cookie IMO won last week.  I know she has been losing out to her ex but it's realistic.  No way her upstart company can take on the Empire and win already.  As for the celebs I don't even notice them because I don't know who they are for the most part. I do know Chris Rock and felt he wasn't that great in his role but nobody else stands out as bad. 

It will be interesting to see what happens in the baptism episode. Looking forward to tonight.

Edited by angelita100
  • Love 4

Has the show said why Bunkie's murder is being handled as a federal investigation? It seems a murder would be a matter for the ordinary police. I haven't gone back to see if the explained this. Anyone know off the top?

Edited by tmelange

The thing that bothers me about Jamal is that last season he took a stance against his father, said his money meant nothing to him and swore to make himself his own man. Fast forward a few months and we see that Jamal is like a lot of kids who grew up feeling like a parent didn't love them as much; all Jamal apparently wants at the end of the day is his father's unconditional love, respect and attention. It's sad that he's abandoned the ground that he staked for himself the first season. I know it's the writers switching it up so Cookie has time with Hakeem, but Jamal's position on his dad's side doesn't feel organic. It's just really sad to me, almost as sad as Andre's constantly begging for his father's love and respect.

Anyway! I still love the show this season. I really like that they're tying up some loose ends from last season, such as the hit Cookie put on that guy. I hope they have a better storyline for Tiana than her shaking her barely-clothed ass in random episodes. I like that Cookie is starting her own company. I know that's exactly what I would have done once Lucifer kicked me out of my position just for dating another guy. There is no way she can carve out a safe and prominent position at Empire while Lucifer is in power, since she has no real leverage to claim part ownership, beyond what Lucifer chooses to give her. With the new company, Cookie can prove her chops.

Edited by tmelange

I kind of hate Jamal this season. It seems he's just forgotten about what an ass his father was to him his whole life. I get it, he's always wanted daddy's approval and now he has it, but come on. Every single character on this show is only in Lucious's life if they can be of use to him in some way. That's it. Jamal is pathetic this year for siding with Lucious instead of his mom. Cookie has been there for him way more than Lucious, and that's including the 17 years she spent in jail.

I really want Anika off the show. Seeing her grovel is just too embarrassing.

Andre remains my favorite. He's got a lot of issues though. I wish he would stop trying to get Lucious's approval as well, he deserves better. Hakeem was my least favorite of the brothers last year but this year I have to give him credit for not kissing his dad's ass (yet).

Has the show said why Bunkie's murder is being handled as a federal investigation? It seems a murder would be a matter for the ordinary police. I haven't gone back to see if the explained this. Anyone know off the top?

When Bunkie was first found it was being handled by the local cops.  However, if Bunkie's murder was part of a larger criminal organization or scheme its possible it could be considered a federal case under the RICO statute.  But I don't remember the show specifically explaining it so that is truly just a guess.

• Love 1