Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: A Wanted (Inhu)man

• Start Topic

Second verse, same as the first ..

Again : Daisy-Skye and Mac trying to bring in Lincoln before the other group gets to him. Again : things go badly and Lincoln runs off . Why did he bother to call for help if he is just going to argue for ten minutes, again, about the same old things. Just taser him and bring him in - or give him a location to go to. Who is paying for all these trips to pick people up?  

He didn't really argue with her.  I think Lincoln, after accidentally killing John, realized that he had nowhere else to go and he called Daisy.  He WAS going to go with her and work for her, not SHIELD (which isn't really much of a distinction), but basically he was saying "I'll trust you, but I don't trust them."  Regardless, he WAS going to go with her until Mack showed up and told him "Oh btw, Coulson just sold you out and is giving you to your enemy."  I mean what would anyone else do in that situation?  Lincoln outmaneuvered his "enemies" and got out of there.  

Again : Coulson and Task-Force woman meet, threaten and flirt. SHIELD always seems to be stuck in the rut of having to fight the US Govmnt. on one side and Hydra on the other. Some things never change.

I think it's about their dynamic and also about two opposing teams forced to work together.  It's better than having two enemies or two allies working together.  It allows the stories to be a bit darker and have more of a grey area since Coulson won't trust Rosalind and vice versa.

Again : May and Hunter on the road. None of this plot makes much sense. 

I felt the May and Hunter stuff was a bit stale in that we've seen May all stoic and unemotional, and it seems we are back to that again.  Also, as much as I loved her badass fight, it seemed pretty unnecessary except to show the audience "Wow, she's tough."  Something we already knew.  So in that regard I agree with you.

Again : Fitz and Simmons holding hands, making mushy faces and crying. It's season one all over again.

Why is being emotional and showing emotion such a problem with action shows?  I've read this on other boards too.  If Fitz and Simmons and even Lincoln are shown to be emotional or upset - which are human emotions - it somehow is pointless in the storytelling.  I don't agree.  For me, I NEED to see the humanity in my characters in order for me to root for them.  May is too unemotional.  I like watching characters battle back.  Even Bobbie was super tough against Ward, and it's okay to be shown a bit vulnerable.  I don't know.  I enjoy those moments rather than the always stoic, brave, and confident hero stories we get from other shows.

I agree.  I feel that they had a much deeper connection when they were BFF's.  Fitz ruined that when he expressed his romantic feelings.

I think it just comes down to preference and who likes who with whomever.  I like the Fitz/Simmons relationship, and I'm enjoying the Coulson/Rosalind relationship - although I don't need to see it turn romantic.  I also like Lincoln and Daisy, but they don't need to rush that relationship either.  I think those three pairings are attracted to each other due to their similar personalities and life experiences.  Fitz and Simmons are brainy and nerdy; Coulson/Rosalind are both A personalities, control-freaks, confident; and Lincoln and Daisy are inhumans, unsure of how to deal with their being different and trying to cope.  The proverbial "fish out of water."  It makes sense to me that each of them would be attracted to similar people.

I didn't think much of Lincoln last season when he was a guest star, but now he's a regular?  Why!?!  He adds nothing.

I don't agree.  We have no idea what he will bring to the story once he becomes part of SHIELD (which we know will happen).  All of the characters, imo, with the exception of Coulson, started out slow and a bit plodding.  I agree that Lincoln was boring last year.  He was too nice, too accommodating, too zen for my taste.  THIS year, he's defiant, more in-your-face (like with Mack), vulnerable, cool powers, and yet capable of being a very dangerous man or a very good ally.  He has a lot of potential as long as the writers don't drag out his "on-the-run" status.  I do think it's important to show him as being reluctant.  I don't think eveyrone should just want to sign up for SHIELD.  I like the fact that based on the betrayals Lincoln has suffered that he would be very hesitant to sign off on another "army" group.  that is realistic to me.  I like the pace of this story, and let's face it, it's only the third episode.

This show needs to move the story along better than it has recently.  They seem to set up a story, drag it out for a handful of episodes, have a violent conclusion, and then recycle it into another, similar story.

I think the story is moving along fine so far.  It think the bigger problem is that they have to decide what is going to be their main stories because it's a lot of characters and a lot of stories.  All of them are interesting (for the most part), but once they know what to focus on, I think the show will move along just fine.  I think the main stories will be:  1) Building an inhuman army within SHIELD.  I think that has obvious pros to having people with abilities working towards the greater good; 2) Coulson and Rosalind linking their individual agencies to assist in bringing order to the planet.  You're going to have good and bad inhumans and they will have to be dealt with in their respective ways.  I like the idea the both of them working together but also NOT working together.  You know there will be double-crossing at various points; 3) Revenge on Ward.  That story ultimately has to play out; and 4) Simmons time away on the other planet.  I think this is the weakest link simply because I don't know the overall purpose of her having been in the other world.  Does it play a part in the other three scenario stories I layed out?  I don't know where that story is going.  I'm intrigued, but I hope it doesn't drag out.  THAT'S the story, imo, that could get old fast because I don't want to see nine episodes of Simmons trying to work through PTSD and Fitz holding her hand.  

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 7

Lincoln, you nitwit.  You're being chased by a government agency.  You have time to stop and buy a new burner-phone, but you don't bother getting some black hair dye to slightly alter your appearance?  At least shave off the scraggly beard.  Then maybe a half-asleep bus passenger won't instantly recognize you. 

I liked the continuity with Fitz and Bobbi discussing rehab.  I really like that they're acknowledging that Bobbi has to do physical therapy, and didn't just hit the instant-heal button after last season.

My guess as to why Simmons has to go back:  she's not really Simmons.  She's some kind of replica sent to collect intelligence on the Inhumans on Earth and has to report back.  Mid-season cliff-hanger will be them returning to Mysterious Planet and finding the real Simmons in a suspension pod thingy like the Kree at TAHITI was back in season 1.  I have no idea why I think this other than it's insane.

I'm surprised no one made fun of Hunter's colorful jacket last night.  It made him look like a little kid on his way to his first comic book convention. LOL

I thought it was a warmup jacket he was wearing before hitting the ice to perform a figure-skating routine.

Edited to add:  Ward's recruiting technique seems seriously flawed.  The way into his organization is to beat a member of his organization to death.  Okay, how does that increase the size of New!Hydra?  Reminded me of that old SNL sketch about the Change Bank: 

"We make change.  Bring in a $5 bill, we'll give you 5 ones, or 4 ones and 4 quarters, however you want it." 

"How do you make any profit doing that?" 

"Volume!"

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 2

this was a solid episode. I was seriously annoyed with Daisy and Lincolns speechifying rather than running away though.

I was somewhat impressed with the British dialogue. It was really good but even my Canadian Corrie fan ears caught a few slip ups. Some of those words weren't really cockney.  It was more like  write wanted show off all the British slang they new without really checking to see whether some of it was really accurate. It was miles better than Badger though.

May is back and as awesome as ever.

I really like the Tension between Rosalyn and Coulson. Its fun and I think I could actually ship them in time. Also it occurs to me with all the identity hopping Rosalyn has done she might empowered herself. That would be a twist. 

• Love 1

We did get that, May took out 3 huge guys while Hunter was still getting his ass beat by 1. I am liking their pairing. I loved May's line about Hunter and his friend getting drunk making it even more difficult for her understand them. 

I'm going to go with Daisy knew that Lincoln had feelings for her and she kissed him to get him to come with them. I think she likes him, but I don't think she likes him like that. But who knows, because it did seem like they were setting something up with them last season. 

Simmons wants to go back. I wonder if she met another person that got sucked through the portal and she wants to go back to help them. I also still wonder if she's part Alien since the space rock took her. They said her vitals were different and I don't know if that is something that can change just by being in a different atmosphere. I do like Fitz and Simmons better as friends, but I don't really care if they do get together.

I swear, if Simmons ended up falling for someone during her time on Alien World, I am out!

• Love 1

Lincoln, you nitwit.  You're being chased by a government agency.  You have time to stop and buy a new burner-phone, but you don't bother getting some black hair dye to slightly alter your appearance?  At least shave off the scraggly beard.  Then maybe a half-asleep bus passenger won't instantly recognize you. 

I was close to yelling this at my laptop last night. Like, seriously, he knows enough to get a burner phone and buy a car in cash from a friend, but not enough to shave, pick up some glasses, dye his hair, wear a hat, anything that might alter his appearance so he can walk down the street without being immediately stopped?

I was somewhat impressed with the British dialogue. It was really good but even my Canadian Corrie fan ears caught a few slip ups. Some of those words weren't really cockney.  It was more like  write wanted show off all the British slang they new without really checking to see whether some of it was really accurate.

Honestly, I thought it was good. I'm in Ireland, not the UK, but all of the slang was actual English slang (much of it wasn't cockney, but then, most English slang isn't cockney) and it felt like an actual conversation, rather than awkward "Here's the slang we googled!" dialogue.

Hi everyone, I'm a fan of the X-Men and don't usually go into other Marvel comics.  I'm curious about what seperates inhumans from mutants?

Within the show? The differences in the Inhumans' DNA were introduced by aliens (the Kree) to use them essentially as bioweapons. There are also people the show calls "gifted" who have obtained powers through some kind of intervention or accident (Scorch, Donnie Gill, etc.), but the show hasn't used the word "mutant" given copyright issues, and to the best of my recollection there hasn't been anyone on the show who, like the mutants, has had their DNA change spontaneously to give them natural powers with no outside agent. There's some dialogue in the middle of season 2 where Simmons explains that the "gifted" people they've encountered are fundamentally human, while the Inhumans (at least once they've gone through Terrigenesis and been 'activated' as Inhumans) are biologically distinct, to the point of almost being a different species.

More general episode thoughts - I'm already bored of Lincoln. I actually liked him and found the character refreshing last season, in that he was a relatively bright spot as the show got darker. It was interesting to see someone who had come to terms with his powers, embraced them and enjoyed his new life balancing medical studies with his role among the Inhumans. Now, he's just another brooder with a tragic backstory (and added alcoholism, because sure, why not). And while it's a totally understandable character shift given everything that happened at the end of season 2, that doesn't make it any more interesting to watch. And while the romantic subplot was obviously coming from a mile off, that was still a hugely awkward moment.

If I were Daisy, I'd be beyond furious with Coulson. He changed their plans mid-mission for stupid reasons (seriously, why is it a problem if her face is on the news? She lives in an underground base and already only leaves for missions) with no warning and could easily have gotten all of them killed. And it's a shame, because I really liked his scene mid-episode where he shut down her off-base frustrations and reminded her that the situation had changed since he asked her to set up the Secret Warriors, so to have that good "Coulson growing as director" work undermined by him being an idiot 20 minutes later is annoying.

I do like Coulson and Ros though. It's nice for Coulson to have another 'adult' to interact with, given that most of his scenes with Daisy, Mack and co. have him in a very father-figure type role - it's nice to see him get to do something different with someone who's shaping up to be a female version of him. (And awkward though it was, I loved her commitment to the hand puns).

My love for Mack continues to grow. More characters should partake in his video game therapy sessions.

• Love 5

Why show, why?  Why does it seem next to impossible for you to run a string of good episodes together? 

This episode was so very 'meh' .... I liked everything with Simmons (she even made Daisy/Skye less annoying for a New York minute) and it was nice to see Clark Gregg in a role other than 'let's protect Daisy/Skye" ..... he and Constance Zimmer really play well off each other.

I don't know why I'm not enjoying the Inhumans storyline when they are one of my favorite comic storylines/characters.  I think part of the issue is that I find Lincoln and the actor who plays him (Luke Mitchell) so very bland; I am not invested in him or is fate.  Hopefully the return of Lash will make this storyline more interesting.

• Love 2

Poor Lincoln. I feel pretty awful for the guy. Everywhere he goes, he seems to get screwed. His colleagues at his hospital job, his sponsor/friend, and then Coulson all turned him in, for...I don't really know what Rosalins team intends to do with the Inhumans they catch. Do they have a plan? 

I also feel like Rosalinds (and the government in generals) scare tactics plan is going to blow up in their face, big time. Especially with normal people getting powers. If they announced something like "An alien virus is out there, and it could infect you if you eat *insert food here*, and if that does happen to you, do not panic. Call this number" or something like that. Maybe that would make people panic more, knowing people can turn into super people, but this is the MCU. People already know weird shit has gone down, there are aliens and magic and super people running around, they need to prepare people for it. This is the new normal. Or say "there are people among us with powers. Please let us know who you are, so we can help you". Granted, most people probably would rather NOT turn themselves into the government, but at least it would be better than chasing people down with strike teams, and screaming "OMG ALIENS ARE AMONG US KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!!" 

I loved the scene with Fitz and Bobbi. It was nice to see people on TV actually talk about being in physical recovery, and how hard but necessary it is, instead of just magically getting better. 

I don't care if they are in love, or are BFF`s, I`ll take FitzSimmons any way I can get them. They're always a highlight. 

• Love 7

By the way, this episode has strongly influenced my esthetic code. From now on, I hold it as a cardinal principle that a character bare knuckle fist fighting in front of a howling mob is a trope symptomatic of gross incompetence. Conflict is not drama, choice is drama. Therefore, fighting is not drama, just action. Not knowing this means the perpetrator doesn't understand their own work. (For what it's worth, surrendering as part of the master plan to defeat the enemy and vehicles teetering on the edge of a bridge are also symptoms in my playbook.)

• Love 1

May took out 3 huge guys while Hunter was still getting his ass beat by 1.

I wonder if part of the time he was just taking the punches to show that he could -- he had said to May that he can take a punch, so if all else fails, he'll just do that. And he probably didn't want to end the fight too soon and make it seem suspicious (like it would have if May intervened or did the fight instead of Hunter). He was trying to prove himself but not win too soon.

Though it was certainly going to ridiculous extremes. He was getting beaten to bloody pulp. What took him so long to finally give a bit of an eyeroll (LOL) and pull out the brass knuckles?

• Love 1

I wonder if part of the time he was just taking the punches to show that he could -- he had said to May that he can take a punch, so if all else fails, he'll just do that. And he probably didn't want to end the fight too soon and make it seem suspicious (like it would have if May intervened or did the fight instead of Hunter). He was trying to prove himself but not win too soon.

Though it was certainly going to ridiculous extremes. He was getting beaten to bloody pulp. What took him so long to finally give a bit of an eyeroll (LOL) and pull out the brass knuckles?

Getting punched was part of Hunter's strategy but it wasn't to show that he could take a punch or to prolong the fight. It was because all of the punching (theoretically) depletes his opponent's energy reserves, leaving him weakened once Hunter was ready to start punching back. Hunter's fighting strategy was to wait out his opponent and finish him off once all of their aggressive offensive maneuvers left them too slow to effectively defend themselves against Hunter once Hunter was ready to fight back. But this strategy didn't appear to work as planned since we heard Hunter asking mid-fight if Spud was starting to tire out yet (he wasn't). I don't think the brass knuckles were ever a part of his strategy, and that's why it took him so long to pull them out. I think they were a gift from May to use in case his own strategy failed. We see her wearing them in the scene where May asks Hunter about his skills and strategy, and since he never mentions a plan to use them or show us that he has his own set, I assumed that's where they came from.

• Love 3
May took out 3 huge guys while Hunter was still getting his ass beat by 1.

One of these days I would like to see May actually LOSE a fight. At his point, she is utterly unrealistic. She never, ever loses. She barely ever breaks a sweat. I feel that every time she gets into a fight, the writers are just saying, "Look! She's a bad ass!"

Let's put some stakes back into May's fights. Pit her up against someone/something she can't beat.

I like the idea of Lincoln, because I think this show could use more regular superpowered people.  I just think the character made so many poor choices.  I agree that he should have dyed his hair, or worn a hat, or bought sunglasses, or something.  But he didn't because, well, it's Luke Mitchell, and he has that trademark dyed/frosted blonde mop of bedhead hair.  Also annoying?  He's on the run, and somehow the show finds a way to make him take his shirt off because, well, it's Luke Mitchell, and that's what he does.

I laughed out loud at the descriptions of May as a "small Asian woman".  I think this is the first time that the show has ever referenced her race.  I love that this show is completely race-blind and that the regulars include two Asian females and a black male and that these roles could have been played by people of any colour.

Didn't she lose to Ward at one point, which was one of the reasons why she was so angry with him? Or am I misremembering?

The only fight she lost to him was the fight she had with him while he was under the influence of Lorelei, and that was only because he was able to pull a gun on her. Every other time their fights seemed pretty close, but with May winning in the end. That said, I always thought she was so angry with him because she was angry with herself for letting him get so close to her (to the point where she had a regular sexual relationship) without ever realizing he was a traitor.

She did lose a fight to Skye at the end last season, but it was only after Skye used her powers on her. When the fighting was all hand-to-hand May was clearly the better fighter.

• Love 1

Actually, I'd have to watch the episode again, but I think Hunter's initial strategy was to just win the fight outright. May asked him what he would do if he couldn't and I think he said something along the lines of "worse comes to worse I'll let him hit me til he tires out and then finish him off". May then offered him the brass knuckles and his took them kind of as an afterthought. When his initial plan failed and it became evident his backup plan wasn't working either he basically relented that May was right and pulled out the knuckles.

As for May, they have set her up as such a badass the only way they can have her lose a fight, or even give her a challenge, is if she has to fight some great master (maybe one who tried her) or someone super strong/tough. 

• Love 3
Lincoln should have shaved?  Nah, he's all tortured and emo or something.  He's GOT to have a three-day stubble cause...

This. I love Lincoln. he brings the stubble.

And he gives me something to enjoy beyond Fitz and Simmons and Fitz and Fitz and...well, Fitz.

• Love 1

He's on the run, and somehow the show finds a way to make him take his shirt off because, well, it's Luke Mitchell, and that's what he does.

I think I'm okay with that one.  *GRIN*

(But yeah, he should have dressed differently, worn a hat, basically done anything to hide what he looks like. Hello?! You're on the run, dude! And you've just been informed that they released your image to the media. Get some sense!)

Edited by sinkwriter

Hi everyone, I'm a fan of the X-Men and don't usually go into other Marvel comics.  I'm curious about what seperates inhumans from mutants?

Intellectual property rights. :)  (X-Men [and the word 'mutant'] in movieland is owned by one entity, all the rest of Marvel is owned by others.)

• Love 1

"I have some guns I'm looking to sell."

"Great. I have a buyer. You just have to fight someone to the death to meet with them."

"Um, I know we're evil and all, but that doesn't seem like a viable business strategy for your new associates."

I don't understand how Melinda May is such a super-spy when she doesn't seem to change her behavior one iota in this episode. Last year, she acted like a giddy socialite when she and Coulson were undercover at that party. I was hoping that she'd adopt some other type of unusual behavior (cheering on the fight, suggestive flirtation, drinking to excess) in her interactions this episode, just to show that she can maintain a cover and give Ming-Na some range in acting. I don't think it will hurt the character at all to show her acting differently when the situation calls for it. And she could still have entered Melinda May-mode when cornered in that room or in her alone time with Hunter. And I'd love the incredulity on Hunter's face when he sees Melinda acting so differently.

• Love 1

To be fair, I figured he couldn't shave or mess with his hair because of contract appearance issues

I suppose. But his beard would grow back in three days. And he could have worn a wig or something if he didn't want to mess with his actual hair.

"I have some guns I'm looking to sell."

"Great. I have a buyer. You just have to fight someone to the death to meet with them."

"Um, I know we're evil and all, but that doesn't seem like a viable business strategy for your new associates."

I don't understand how Melinda May is such a super-spy when she doesn't seem to change her behavior one iota in this episode. Last year, she acted like a giddy socialite when she and Coulson were undercover at that party. I was hoping that she'd adopt some other type of unusual behavior (cheering on the fight, suggestive flirtation, drinking to excess) in her interactions this episode, just to show that she can maintain a cover and give Ming-Na some range in acting. I don't think it will hurt the character at all to show her acting differently when the situation calls for it. And she could still have entered Melinda May-mode when cornered in that room or in her alone time with Hunter. And I'd love the incredulity on Hunter's face when he sees Melinda acting so differently.

Yeah, her interaction with Hunter's friend was so stiff that she was practically yelling out SPY!

I suppose. But his beard would grow back in three days. And he could have worn a wig or something if he didn't want to mess with his actual hair.

If he disguised himself well, then he would have gotten away and couldn't be all tortured and emo for Daisysky's "character arc". This way, he got to kill a friend (this counts as fridging, right? because it was about his angst?), destroy a perfectly innocent bus, and terrorize small children.

• Love 1
I don't care if they are in love, or are BFF`s, I`ll take FitzSimmons any way I can get them. They're always a highlight. 

MTE. Fitz holding her hand as they walked around trying to get her reacclimated to everything was so sweet, regardless of the overture. They make my heart swell.

I may have been reading too much into it, but it seemed to me what actually overwhelmed Simmons at the restaurant was the dark colored wine being poured out right in front of her. From the camera angle (focused on her face, but with the wine pouring in the foreground) it seemed to be the last straw -- maybe a callback watching to someone die on the alien planet -- and she broken down after that. And it seems in keeping with the fact that when we saw her on the alien planet she was very aware that whatever was hunting her would be drawn specifically to the bloody cut on her face and was quickly trying to cover it up.

Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 3

The only fight she lost to him was the fight she had with him while he was under the influence of Lorelei, and that was only because he was able to pull a gun on her. Every other time their fights seemed pretty close, but with May winning in the end. That said, I always thought she was so angry with him because she was angry with herself for letting him get so close to her (to the point where she had a regular sexual relationship) without ever realizing he was a traitor.

She did lose a fight to Skye at the end last season, but it was only after Skye used her powers on her. When the fighting was all hand-to-hand May was clearly the better fighter.

Well even in the fight when Ward was under the influence of Lorelei, May was able to get the upper hand by removing the clip on the gun while they were fighting. I liked that little bit -- it showed that rather than just overpowering him, she was aware of her surroundings and removed any possible advantage that he might have (i.e. the gun).

We have seen her lose fights before - against Mike Peterson in the pilot, and against the Centipede soldiers in "The Bridge."

Let's put some stakes back into May's fights. Pit her up against someone/something she can't beat.

How did her fight with Bobbi end?  I want to say it was a draw or something happened to end it before someone clearly won.

MTE. Fitz holding her hand as they walked around trying to get her reacclimated to everything was so sweet, regardless of the overture. They make my heart swell.

I may have been reading too much into it, but it seemed to me what actually overwhelmed Simmons at the restaurant was the dark colored wine being poured out right in front of her. From the camera angle (focused on her face, but with the wine pouring in the foreground) it seemed to be the last straw -- maybe a callback watching to someone die on the alien planet -- and she broken down after that. And it seems in keeping with the fact that when we saw her on the alien planet she was very aware that whatever was hunting her would be drawn specifically to the bloody cut on her face and was quickly trying to cover it up.

I noticed that she got emotional at the wine too. She seemed to be thankful for Fitz doing that for her until the wine, then she suddenly started crying. That is an interesting theory, and also means that there are other people that she wants to go back too. Its hard to say if that is the cause since the scene was cut there.

Dear Lincoln, the first rule of going on the lam is to disguise yourself. That means put on a hat and wear some sunglasses at the very least. Change your hair color and your facial hair if you can. Don't just walk around in broad daylight showing your face!

Seeing May fight those three guys makes me want to learn how to kick some ass.

Love that Mack's solution is always video games!

• Love 4

I'm intrigued by Simmons wanting to back to the planet because that means intergalactic road trip and this show could use a little of the old cosmic Marvel. Those dark bunkers get kind of claustrophobic.

Edited by RustbeltWriter

Im really glad to see most people find Lincoln a bit boring. It just seems like they're starting to think that they need to replace Ward for Skye...my bad Daisy. Except now the roles are reversed, Lincoln is an uninteresting version of Skye in Season 1 and Daisy is Ward. 

Speaking of Ward....how much longer are they gonna milk this character. Ward is past redemption, which I personally wanted to see since the whole Hydra betrayal. The only thing that would be satisfying at this point is his death and or capture into the deepest darkest hole and we never see him again. Am I being harsh? Are there any Ward supporters out there? I really am curious to hear the other side please hit me up!

• Love 1

Ward is an entertaining Villian of the Supervillian family. What makes Supervillians interesting is they are the polar opposite of the heroes. I don't want Ward to be redeemed that would be boring but I don't exactly want him to go away either.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I don't believe Ward is a Supervillain. At least, not yet. Sure, he's trying to rebuild Hydra, but it's nowhere near what it was. Ward is no Wilson Fiske - he is in no position to take over a city or S.H.I.E.L.D. Sure, he's placed that kid in the May's hubby's class, but he's still far from being the head of a huge organization. He also doesn't have any special skill set for running a large operation. He's really good at being an assassin, but that's different from being a CEO like Lex Luthor's (sorry for bringing D.C. into a Marvel forum). Maybe he'll get there by the end of the season. I'd still rather see him killed in a Murder on the Orient Express fashion. He's fun now, but I agree with those who have said that he's outlived his usefulness to the story.

• Love 2
I'd still rather see him killed in a Murder on the Orient Express fashion.

Heee, Made me literally laugh out loud at that. 

My guess is they're going to go for a Death is Redemption for Ward.  He saves Daiskye and gets killed in the process.  It's quite a cliche, but as long as he winds up dead-dead and not only-mostly dead (therefore resurrectable) or TAHITI'd (therefore bring-backable) I'll be satisfied.

Ah, the Hunter-May pairing is paying off already. "But first, drinking!" "Great, because it isn't hard enough to understand you now." Then the cut to subtitles was gold.

I thought it would have been way funnier if they did it without the subtitles. Maybe it is me but I had no problem picking up just about everything they were saying (even if I didn't know what all the slang meant, and the subtitles wouldn't help with that). Plus it was just to establish that they were old friends, nothing really vital to the plot.

Except, it was a candlelight dinner in a completely rented out romantic restaurant on a reservation that he had them keep every night for months. I think that takes it out of Fitz just doing this as friends. Not that he would push Simmons, especially now, but I think this originally was his grand romantic gesture. I prefer them as friends, but I believe the show is leading to them getting together.

I think part of it is that for her, him travelling across the universe and risking his life to safe her was the grand romantic gesture. How the hell would someone even respond to that.

Getting punched was part of Hunter's strategy but it wasn't to show that he could take a punch or to prolong the fight. It was because all of the punching (theoretically) depletes his opponent's energy reserves, leaving him weakened once Hunter was ready to start punching back. Hunter's fighting strategy was to wait out his opponent and finish him off once all of their aggressive offensive maneuvers left them too slow to effectively defend themselves against Hunter once Hunter was ready to fight back. But this strategy didn't appear to work as planned since we heard Hunter asking mid-fight if Spud was starting to tire out yet (he wasn't). I don't think the brass knuckles were ever a part of his strategy, and that's why it took him so long to pull them out. I think they were a gift from May to use in case his own strategy failed. We see her wearing them in the scene where May asks Hunter about his skills and strategy, and since he never mentions a plan to use them or show us that he has his own set, I assumed that's where they came from.

At the beginning of the fight he asked if there were any rules. I figured once he knew there wasn't he hung on to the brass knuckles until he knew he needed them.

Hopefully this whole thing with the setting up the Inhuman special forces team speeds up a bit, because for me it is kind of boring.Plus if they are going to set up an Inhuman strike force, who are they going to be fighting. It seems like Daisy and Lincoln could take down Hydra in about a day.

This season had been kind of a scattergun effort: we've got the new government agency with the unimaginative acronym, the public coming to terms with the "New Reality", Ward rebuilding HYDRA all while SHIELD attempts to rebuild (rebrand?) itself under Coulson. Not to mention Gemma struggling to come to terms with being back on Earth. It could really do with more focus.

May is back! I presume she's too well known as a SHIELD agent to take part in the combat (though if that's the case, she shouldn't be in the room at all) but at least we got to see her showing why she would have cruised through the "try out". As for Hunter, he did check that there were no rules, so pulling a kuckleduster should be fine (and very HYDRA, I reckon). I'm assuming that the other combatants weren't exactly HYDRA so much as HYDRA wannabes and this was their "audition".

Coulson REALLY needs to sort out where he stands. Not just vis a vis the US government (though I'd like to know just who is paying his salary!) but sending your team into the field and then changing the rules on them is a really good way to cause a mutiny, which is probably a bad idea. Not that Lincoln was exactly impressing me with his intelligence - it's not that hard to shave, buy a hat and some hair dye, FFS!

AimingforYoko  "But first, drinking!" "Great, because it isn't hard enough to understand you now." Then the cut to subtitles was gold.

I was disappointed they didn't have them talking in actual rhyming slang. They were already subtitling it, so it's not as if translating, "Meet me down the boozer so you can take a butcher's at the gear I've got, me old china!" [Meet me at the bar so you can see what I'm selling, mate].

Minneapple liked Rosalind telling Coulson "Eyes up here" when he was staring at the car.

Also liked the "Only little boys name their cars - and besides it's a he!" I guess they might be getting into bed together literally as well figuratively!