Type keyword(s) to search

Tim Gunn: Your Fabulous Gay Uncle

• Start Topic

I wish Tim lived next door. We'd respect his privacy, but invite him over for cookouts and stuff, and he'd kindly and charmingly take apart my wardrobe.

That sounds heavenly! I would love Tim for a neighbor. I can't wait for the new season.

TudorQueen are you a TWOP refugee?

I wish Tim lived next door. We'd respect his privacy, but invite him over for cookouts and stuff, and he'd kindly and charmingly take apart my wardrobe.

Tim Gunn is on my list of famous people I'd love to have dinner with.  Preferably at Red Lobster, just for old time's sake.  And then of course, after dinner, we would go shopping and he would tell me exactly what to wear. 

• Love 3

Exactly!  He would gently lead me into stores that have clothes in which I would look good and guide me to find the right outfit for my body and taste.  It would be fun and pleasant, and I wouldn't feel like a schlub at all.  Though I think that I would like to reverse my fantasy and go shopping before Red Lobster, because I don't want to try on clothes after all of the cheddar bay biscuits.  

• Love 2

To some folks who were watching (at least enough that he felt the need to publicly respond multiple times), he had candidates and mentors he obviously preferred to the point of condoning and taking part in some really shabby behavior towards the candidates and mentor he didn't prefer.

• Love 4

I think part of the problem was that Under the Gunn was almost a complete clusterfuck. It's only saving grace was that the right designer won, and that was primarily due to Heidi Klum's influence at the finale judging. Other than that, it seemed like it was changing the rules and procedures from episode to episode, e.g. sometimes the judges decided who went home, sometimes they threw it back to the mentor of the losing team to pick the departee. They really tried to amp up the drama and under those circumstances, Tim was just a terrible host/judge/mentor to the mentors. The 3 different hats he was wearing didn't help, either.

I just saw him tonight on Hollywood Game Night. It was funny, everyone was in casual clothes (the dressiest woman was wearing a full-skirted summery dress), and there's Tim in a blue worsted wool suit with a huge windowpane check (I really wish he'd get rid of that suit) AND a matching vest. He must have been sweating his ass off, no wonder he didn't look like he was having any fun. I know he likes his suits, but he could have gone a lot more casual and looked better.

All that being said, in a Dinner With Andre scenario, Tim would definitely be on my list as a potential dinner companion.

• Love 3

I'm off the Tim love-train after Under the Gunn. That showed a very ugly side of him.

I know, I know - I totally agree.  I'm really hoping that the new season of PR makes me totally put Under the Gunn out of my mind.  I've mostly put it out of my mind because it was so unpleasant.

As a size 10/12, this makes me love Tim all over again. (Tim wants PR to do a season with only plus-sized models.) Thanks for the link!

As for Under the Gunn, I hated it, and I think Tim was caught in the disorganization of it all. It's hard to be at your best consistently. I give him a pass - once.

• Love 1

I purposely avoided Under the Gunn because that way, our get-togethers to watch Bette Davis DVDs on rainy afternoons while drinking cocoa will be so much sweeter.

What?  I have a rich inner life!

• Love 9

I'm really glad I passed on Under the Gunn. I love Tim, but I didn't want too much Tim to spoil him for me. I just want a one day shopping trip with him--unlimited budget, NYC, and him telling me what I should and should not wear. I like my fashion sense, but I still think it'd be a hoot to get Tim's advice.

• Love 2

Yeah, Tim on Under The Gunn kind of bothered me with the way that he let Mondo and Anya be total assholes to Nick and his designer, Natasha, and even participated in it himself.  She was kind of a basket case, so I understand there might be some frustration, but he's had frigging Ken, that crazy Russian guy, crazy Elena, and a host of other batshit insane people to which he was always, at the very least, kind.  But Under the Gunn sucked so horribly that I'm going to blame it on the fact that Tim knew it sucked as it was happening and was in a shitty mood.

• Love 4

I purposely avoided Under the Gunn because that way, our get-togethers to watch Bette Davis DVDs on rainy afternoons while drinking cocoa will be so much sweeter.

What?  I have a rich inner life!

As long as it doesn't interfere with the shopping day and tea day I have planned with Tim, RuPaul,and LaTrice Royale I have no problem :)

I'm really glad I passed on Under the Gunn. I love Tim, but I didn't want too much Tim to spoil him for me. I just want a one day shopping trip with him--unlimited budget, NYC, and him telling me what I should and should not wear. I like my fashion sense, but I still think it'd be a hoot to get Tim's advice.

Yeah - I wish I had passed on Under the Gunn too.  It really soured me to Tim, and so I'm just trying to forget it, blame it on the producers and hope that he is the same old Tim when PR starts again.

I want a shopping day with Tim too.  And while I like my fashion sense, a gay mans advice in all things fashion is my kryptonite.  I'm pretty much powerless to refuse if a fabulous gay man suggests I buy something.  This is why I can only go into Sephora at certain times.

Yeah, Tim on Under The Gunn kind of bothered me with the way that he let Mondo and Anya be total assholes to Nick and his designer, Natasha, and even participated in it himself.  She was kind of a basket case, so I understand there might be some frustration, but he's had frigging Ken, that crazy Russian guy, crazy Elena, and a host of other batshit insane people to which he was always, at the very least, kind.  But Under the Gunn sucked so horribly that I'm going to blame it on the fact that Tim knew it sucked as it was happening and was in a shitty mood.

I'm blaming the producers too.  Because yeah, in a world where a man can be kind to Ken it makes no sense to be a jerk to natasha.

• Love 1

This doesn't let him off the hook, though, because it's still 100% shitty if his bad mood made him let people in a position of power bully someone in a position of no power.  This is even ignoring the fact that he continued to be a jerk in the media months after the show was finished filming.

I've been off the Tim Is Perfect train since season 4 at least, but I feel like it's just getting worse and I don't understand why.  It's interesting how as my fondness and then my respect for Tim has gone down, the opposite process has happened for Heidi.  It didn't take long before I was sick of Kors and Nina and Heidi became the only voice I really respected on the judging panel until the arrival of Zac Posen.  I don't always or even usually agree with her, but I feel like I know her opinion is sincere.

I hate the Tim Gunn Save, especially since it was used so foolishly last time.  I would love the part where they take a closer look at the clothes if Tim wasn't involved, but I dislike the way he tells tales of the workroom that should be irrelevant to the judging.  I feel like they keep making changes intended to Maximize Tim Time, which is not what they should be doing.  A little Gunn goes a long way.

• Love 5

This doesn't let him off the hook, though, because it's still 100% shitty if his bad mood made him let people in a position of power bully someone in a position of no power.  This is even ignoring the fact that he continued to be a jerk in the media months after the show was finished filming.

I've been off the Tim Is Perfect train since season 4 at least, but I feel like it's just getting worse and I don't understand why.  It's interesting how as my fondness and then my respect for Tim has gone down, the opposite process has happened for Heidi.  It didn't take long before I was sick of Kors and Nina and Heidi became the only voice I really respected on the judging panel until the arrival of Zac Posen.  I don't always or even usually agree with her, but I feel like I know her opinion is sincere.

I hate the Tim Gunn Save, especially since it was used so foolishly last time.  I would love the part where they take a closer look at the clothes if Tim wasn't involved, but I dislike the way he tells tales of the workroom that should be irrelevant to the judging.  I feel like they keep making changes intended to Maximize Tim Time, which is not what they should be doing.  A little Gunn goes a long way.

I was waiting for Tim to be shown as less than perfect. It had to happen eventually.

Like you, my admiration for Heidi has grown. She's not flawless, either, but she seems to have discovered and become confident in her strengths as a judge, which I like. Nina and Michael have their biases, which I've found a bit tiresome. Zac Posen has been a positive addition to the show.

As for the Tim Gunn save, I have mixed feelings. The competition is analogous to a series of sprints in which the racer who comes in last each time is eliminated (more often than not; there are variations, of course). Then Tim comes in and says the equivalent of "this is a good racer who tripped over his/her shoelaces and deserves a second chance." Is that fair? Probably not. Then again, on Top Chef and other shows, there are competitions that allow the losers to play back in, and those are judged subjectively as well. Plus, I liked when Tim used the save on the deaf designer whose name I'm blanking out on. Anyway, mixed feelings for sure.

Like you, my admiration for Heidi has grown. She's not flawless, either, but she seems to have discovered and become confident in her strengths as a judge, which I like. Nina and Michael have their biases, which I've found a bit tiresome. Zac Posen has been a positive addition to the show.

Nina and Michael squick me. They're both so obsessed with youth and freshness, and I'm convinced the only contact they have with either is hiring thirteen year olds to wear clothes designed by fifty and sixty year olds for thirty and forty year olds to buy.

I really like Zac for his fresh perspective and his focus on craftsmanship (have you seen his hook and eye dress?), and Heidi occasionally brings up the actual adult women who would have to wear the clothes. And every time, Nina and Michael roll their eyes as if those are totally plebian things to consider...

I never thought Tim was perfect. I do think that after publicly branding himself as a voice against bullying, he should have seriously checked himself (and so should Mondo, and if all else failed they should have checked each other).

• Love 5

Nina and Michael squick me. They're both so obsessed with youth and freshness, and I'm convinced the only contact they have with either is hiring thirteen year olds to wear clothes designed by fifty and sixty year olds for thirty and forty year olds to buy.

LMAO @ your comment...witty and so true

I LOVE both Nina and Michael, but thats just me.  I love MK's snarky commentary and Nina's bitchery.  

I do however, 100% agree with your statement, and its especially troubling coming from a woman in her 40's who shouldn't be SO obsessed with youth.  It makes me depressed to think that women can't be a little bit older and be considered beautiful, because I wish thats where our culture would go instead of "hey, you're over 30, but try desperately to look like you're 15!!!!"

• Love 1
This doesn't let him off the hook, though, because it's still 100% shitty if his bad mood made him let people in a position of power bully someone in a position of no power.  This is even ignoring the fact that he continued to be a jerk in the media months after the show was finished filming.

Yeah, I know, but it's a way for me to form a mental block in order to watch the new season of PR.  Sad.  Pathetic. I know.

Yeah, I know, but it's a way for me to form a mental block in order to watch the new season of PR.  Sad.  Pathetic. I know.

Listen, we all gotta do what we gotta do to get through this thing.

• Love 1

I'm off the Tim love-train after Under the Gunn. That showed a very ugly side of him.

I know, I know - I totally agree.  I'm really hoping that the new season of PR makes me totally put Under the Gunn out of my mind.  I've mostly put it out of my mind because it was so unpleasant.

I was wondering if other people were still off of Tim after the nightmare of Under The Gunn, & it sounds like they still are. I'm going to have trouble watching him on PR, because I still want to smack him for being such an ass.

• Love 4

I was wondering if other people were still off of Tim after the nightmare of Under The Gunn, & it sounds like they still are. I'm going to have trouble watching him on PR, because I still want to smack him for being such an ass.

I'll probably watch this season's Runway, but I'll never look at Tim the same way again.

• Love 2

Its tough because he was sooooo awful on that show, and awful in the way that is the exact opposite of what makes him normally so wonderful.  Tearing people down instead of encouraging them.  Being judgmental instead of understanding.  I'm glad that PR didn't come on right after Under the Gunn, because I don't think I could have handled it, but I'm truly hoping that the Tim that I've grown to like so much comes back in full force next season, so I can just put it behind me.  After all, if America can forget that Kim Kardashian is basically famous for making a sex tape with Brandy's brother, or that Paris Hilton came into the national spotlight for having a sex tape with some dude than hopefully I can forget about Tim Gunn being a jerk.

I'll probably watch this season's Runway, but I'll never look at Tim the same way again.

I think it'll be tough, but I'm just hoping, for you, and for me that he is so amazing on PR that Under the Gunn will just seem like some crazy anomaly.

• Love 3

I have the entirety of Under the Gunn in the DVR, waiting for a binge-watch this summer.  Sounds likes I'm best off erasing it.  Is it worth watching at all?   Nick has always been one of my favorites.

I agree. Not only did Tim show a side of himself that I wish I'd never seen, but Mondo and Anya were insufferable. The judges were ridiculous; half of the time they refused to make a decision and punted that responsibility to the mentors. The atmosphere was so toxic that the designers' creations were overwhelmed by the drama.

Of the 3 mentors, Nick was clearly the least objectionable, but even he had some bad moments. He was also portrayed in what I thought was an insulting light - as the 'old man' who couldn't possibly compete with the hip and modern Mondo and Anya. Blech.

• Love 4
(edited)

Which, Nick's aesthetic is not mine, but Mondo has, to be kind, idiosyncratic taste and Anya has a one-note design sensibility and basically no skills. It's one thing for Tim to stroll through and say vague encouraging things in the workroom to help the designers clarify their thinking. It was actually painful watching him stroke the two of them for saying vague encouraging things because they didn't have anything useful to say.

I can definitely see why the contestants wanted to work with them - they both clearly have mad skills at being rewarded for mediocre work, which this bunch needed pretty badly - but Nick was clearly the mentor you'd want if you were planning for a career in garments rather than a career in endlessly recycling your long ago PR win.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

I have the entirety of Under the Gunn in the DVR, waiting for a binge-watch this summer.  Sounds likes I'm best off erasing it.  Is it worth watching at all?   Nick has always been one of my favorites.

Only if you like watching people being bullied, & want your opinion of Tim changed forever. At least you wouldn't have the videos from the show scrambling to downplay everyone's behavior after every episode. 

• Love 1

I just went over to the Under the Gunn site on Lifetime's website and the first thing that comes up is an autoplaying video of Tim talking shit about Oscar and Nick and sounding like a bitter contestant who lost and not the host of the show.  Truly amazing.

• Love 2

I would binge watch grass growing before binge watching Under the Gunn.

• Love 5

I just went over to the Under the Gunn site on Lifetime's website and the first thing that comes up is an autoplaying video of Tim talking shit about Oscar and Nick and sounding like a bitter contestant who lost and not the host of the show.  Truly amazing.

ugh, I just can't.  Why Tim, I'm trying to forget!

Seriously? That's appalling.

• Love 1

I'm sure it's from back when the finale aired, I mean, but it's funny that the first thing that happens when you open the site is reaffirmation of everything bad people say about the show.  I'm thinking "c'mon KimberStormer it couldn't really have been that bad, you're exaggerating" and it's like "Don't believe me?  Ask the dishes!"

Also looking at these "Tim Talks" things it seems the accusation of producer manipulation has really gotten under Tim's skin.

• Love 2

For anyone that didn't watch Under the Gunn, I would totally recommend it.  Just fast forward through any moment when Oscar isn't on your screen.  He is adorable, talented, and awesome.  He deserved to win something much, much better than that.

• Love 2

For anyone that didn't watch Under the Gunn, I would totally recommend it.  Just fast forward through any moment when Oscar isn't on your screen.  He is adorable, talented, and awesome.  He deserved to win something much, much better than that.

Oscar also turned out to be the best mentor of the group, even though that wasn't his role.  When he had the chance to take a leadership role, he worked well with his team and they improved under his guidance. Nick, bless his heart, meant well but he tended to take over projects (and got called on it repeatedly), but Oscar had the knack.  Someone should have booted Anya and Mondo (who became more mean-spirited with each passing week) and substituted in Oscar.  I don't know what happened to Tim Gunn but I will never see him the same again....he sided with Anya and Mondo, showed his preferences instead of remaining relatively unbiased (he should have decided exactly what role he had instead of trying so hard to shove the voting in a certain direction).  After Nick made his missteps, Nick actually improved and corrected course. Tim Gunn never did...he just got defensive and tried to justify his bad behavior and the bad behavior of his pets. It was a very discouraging series. I hope they never have another season of it.

• Love 6
(edited)

And I think it's going to hurt the show, in much the way Tim's allowing the Helen-and-minions-on-Alexandria pile on in the reunion on the last season of PR did.

Tim has the Tom Colicchio elder statesman above reproach role here. They look hurt and indignant, say that even though their show airs a weekly notice over the credits that the outcome is gamed by the producers, they're offended that anyone would question their personal integrity by suggesting that the outcome is gamed by the producers, and everyone scrambles to assure them that they would never be vulgar enough to suggest any such thing.

Does anyone who watched Under the Gunn feel uncomfortable about saying that Tim, Mondo, Anya and the regular judges all gave the very strong impression that the outcome was predetermined, that Heidi and NPH derailed a planned coronation, and that Tim is extremely bitter about it?

Yeah, me neither. And that's a problem for him, and for them.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 10

And I think it's going to hurt the show, in much the way Tim's allowing the Helen-and-minions-on-Alexandria pile on in the reunion on the last season of PR did.

Oh man...this to the nth degree.  That was sooooo unsavory.  As was Under The Gun.  I have to agree, if you must watch Under The Gun then just watch the portions with the actual runway and Oscar.  

I'll watch the new season and see how it goes with Tim.  I will always love and respect him but it makes me sad - he used to be so much more tactful or firmly thoughtful when dealt with even the quirkiest or not so talented designers.  Anyone remember when he took down his video blog down off his FB page during season eight because of his take on the producer shennanigans?  Perhaps he's just been worn down as the seasons have gone on, in which case he needs to take a season or two off and recharge and refresh.

• Love 1

If one doesn't want to watch the entire season of Under the Gunn, then I recommend at least watching the finale.  I just rewatched  it a couple of weeks ago and remembered the joy of Oscar's win.  Also, it was wonderful to watch Heidi and NPH show rational thought and judgement.  

I agree with others about having a different perspective of Tim after watching that show.  And, as much as I want to adore him again, I just can't at this point.  

But, watching Under the Gunn is worth it to see how even when there is a chosen one, the best intentions of those in power can go awry when one with even more power enters the scene (Heidi).

• Love 2
(edited)

On the third page of Episode 1 of the new season, we were asked to take the Under The Gunn outrage (which was distinctly anti-Tim) over to that show or this thread.  If your "Fabulous Uncle Tim" wounds haven't quite scabbed over yet, you'll find a lot of company there.

The season previews are featuring Tim's anti-bully lecture, but after his disturbing behavior on that UTG fiasco, I'll need to see him grabbing kittens as the jaws of the auto crusher close around them, drowning out their tiny mews.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

Since the advice has been overwhelmingly in favor of NOT watching UTG, can you expound just a little on what constituted the bullying on Tim's part during that show? This is disappointing information, but I feel I must know more.

(edited)

Since the advice has been overwhelmingly in favor of NOT watching UTG, can you expound just a little on what constituted the bullying on Tim's part during that show? This is disappointing information, but I feel I must know more.

Here's RealityGal's recap, from Episode 1, page 3, that I mentioned:

Please just don't actually watch the show.  I want to try to put it in a nutshell.  The premise of the show was that three former contestants (Mondo, Nick and Arya) came back to each mentor a team of five designers I think (so it was a total of 15 designers).  Well, one of Nick's designers...Natasha was just the brunt of bullying from a group of designers who had no room to talk due to their own lack of talent.  And then it got to the point where even Mondo and Arya were bullying her, or constantly talking shit about the girl.  Anytime she was given praise by the judges, it was like Mondo and Arya and these group of mean contestants were busy rolling their eyes, or just talking shit.  One girl in particular, who I think they were trying to angle for the win was especially hideous to her.  And Tim Gunn, instead of stopping any of this, fed right into it, and was constantly being mean to this girl too.  He never bothered to stop Mondo or Arya, or to ask them to talk to their designers that were being dickheads, instead he blamed the girl who was being bullied and piled on too.  It shows such an ugly side of Tim, and it left a really, really, really bad taste in my mouth because he had become such a follower in his attempts to be part of the "cool kids"

As I added in a similar comment over there, the fact that Natasha still refuses to say anything negative about the show or any of the designers just makes their behavior seem even worse, by comparison.  She had many opportunities for a "tell-all" and chose to keep her mouth shut.  But Tim Gunn continued to disparage her work and her, personally, even after the show ended.  He just couldn't seem to stop justifying what had been a truly distressing situation to watch.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

This is what Gunn said on his FB after he started getting backlash:

"For the last two weeks I have been reading angry comments in response to the perception that Natalia was bullied on the show. To that I say, "Balderdash!" Does anyone think that I would tolerate such a thing? I have a great deal of affection and respect for Natalia and have know her for 14 years; she was a student of mine at Parsons and I can attest to her high level of talent and aptitude. At the same time, she can drive me -- and everyone else -- to despair. While at Mood, her inability to make decisions would lengthen our trip by 20 to 40 minutes (I would call time and her fabric would still be uncut), the consequence being less time in the workroom. Understandably, this angered the designers and mentors. She constantly sought affirmation for her work from the other designers, too, thereby distracting them and taking up more of their time. Finally, she was incapable of calibrating her design and execution ambitions to our timeframe. It was frustrating and soul-sucking for all. Let me conclude by stating that everyone -- designers, mentors, me -- only wanted Natalia to succeed. And we only wish her the greatest success."

There was actually a designer who would refuse to stop working after time was called multiple times and she still didn't get the vitriol that was unleashed on Natalia. "I have a great deal of affection for her! […] She was soul-sucking." did not help his case.

Wow. I forgot people had mentioned that he did go on defending his position on social media for quite a while after the show ended. Tim, Tim, Tim, what HAPPENED to you?

• Love 1