Type keyword(s) to search

Tim Gunn: Your Fabulous Gay Uncle

• Start Topic

I'm not a fan of the kiddies and I have LESS than zero interest in all the kiddie versions of the talent competition shows.  But I assume Tim has brushed off his old warm, supportive, thoughtful scrutiny with arms crossed while slowly nodding persona.

Or at least he doesn't bend down to their eye level and demand to know "the fucking point?!"

Maybe this will be good thing and jog his memory about how all that mentor stuff's supposed to look, for when the regular show starts again.

• Love 3

I used to like Tim, but he bugs me these days. He seems to be totally fake now and is only playing "look at me I'm a celebrity", and that stupid smile and mugging for the camera. There were many times designers took his advice and then they were torn apart by the judges.

• Love 1

I'm surprised to hear that Tim hated this season so much... Especially since he gave his usual saccharine OTT "I am so deeply proud of each and every one of you" routine.

Personally, I thought this season was a massive improvement over the last couple. The designers were generally likeable, the drama was minimal, and their output was defensible. I hated seasons 8, 9, 11 and 12, so by my count this season was one of the better Lifetime seasons (ranking would go 10 7 14 13 6 11 9 12 8).

I used to like Tim, but he bugs me these days. He seems to be totally fake now and is only playing "look at me I'm a celebrity", and that stupid smile and mugging for the camera. There were many times designers took his advice and then they were torn apart by the judges.

Here is the thing, when I think of "reality shows with real integrity" PR is not at the top of the list.  Its not at the bottom either, but its not number 1. 

I think there is producer intervention and obviously Tim-intervention

If there is producer intervention why do they keep producing the show to make it clear that Tim's advice clearly counteracts the judges opinions?  Its part of the reason why I think TPTB don't particularly care for him.  When the show started Tim's advice was almost always spot on, you could set your clock by his advice.  But at some point that all completely dropped and now it almost seems like taking Tim's advice can be a liability.  So what gives?  It can't be that Tim's entire fashion point of view has changed, I can only imagine TPTB for some reason enjoy making him look foolish.  And it doesn't help that Tim used to admit to giving the advice that put a designer in the bottom and now he just sort of looks the other way.

I'm not a fan of Tim's anymore, but between his dismal showing on PR, the hot mess that was UTG and his overall lack of willingness to see that he has ever done anything wrong it seems like someone may hate him.

I liked Tim more on season 15 premiere than I've liked him in a while, but I don't know how much that is saying...

It was disingenuous of him to speak so negatively of Ashley AFTER the damn fact; easy to second guess and easy to read what everyone thinks and mold your opinion. I'm not saying that's exactly what he did, but as everyone else mentioned: to gush about how awesome and how proud and fake tears, and then lambaste later, seems worse than fake, to me, at least.

I DO actually agree with him that Ashley's win was actually a victory for fat girls (I can say that because I am one) in NAME only. I like myself, I like colour, I LOVE fashion and at my age, am "okay" with my body; by that, I mean, I'm one of the ones who always find it hard to believe women when they say they like being fat. It makes everything harder so, of course, I would love to be thinner.  But I digress... those clothes Ashley put on the runway were not flattering to a curvier figure or even particularly attractive, and the flower hats, while interesting, were pure costume. So if it's true they only chose her to make a statement, I call bullshit on that as a totally ridiculous way to award the prize. I would prefer to believe that they chose her because Edmond's collection was meh and Candice's was just, uh, Candice's.

I'm willing to give Tim another chance because I believe everyone deserves at least that. But I don't know if he'll ever fully regain his luster for me. Which kind of makes me sad. 

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3
On 10/15/2016 at 1:19 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Until this most recent episode (no I in Team) I hadn't heard any mention of the Tim Gunn Save?  Was I just not paying attention?

You have not been paying attention the Tim Gunn save has been around a long time. 

Edited by Rabbittron
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2016 at 1:18 PM, PepperMonkey said:

It was disingenuous of him [Tim] to speak so negatively of Ashley AFTER the damn fact; easy to second guess and easy to read what everyone thinks and mold your opinion. I'm not saying that's exactly what he did, but as everyone else mentioned: to gush about how awesome and how proud and fake tears, and then lambaste later, seems worse than fake, to me, at least.

I DO actually agree with him that Ashley's win was actually a victory for fat girls (I can say that because I am one) in NAME only

I don't remember him gushing over Ashley so I will have to take the word of those who saw and remembered.  I do not fault him for talking negatively, at all.  Terrible season and hideous collection won!  When you are standing face to face and in the middle of filming I think Tim or anyone would keep their opinions to themselves until all is said and done. 

A victory for fat girls, eh?  Nope, not at all.  She probably sold some of her line to those with zero taste but that is all!  

What is the PC word for fat?  It cannot be curvy, which I see in some places.  Not all fat girls are curvy.  When I hear curvy, I think of Jessica Rabbitt, Kim K or Amber Rose to name 3.  

• Love 1

I actually don't mind fat. I'm NOT obese, but I would call me more than curvy, so fat. And, it's kind of like taking it back from people who try to use it negatively.

Also, totally agree Ashley's collection was hideous. I just feel as if he could have tempered those comments a tad. Then again, he didn't say Ashley herself is a horrible, no-good person; just that her collection was unflattering and an insult to respectable fat girls and fat women everywhere. So, I guess I ended up taking up for him, after all.

Unfortunately, Judgmental Tattletale Tim is back.  His personal opinion of designers has no place in the judging, IMO.

The Tim Gunn Save shouldn't be used as a punishment for other designers.  Tim never gave an indication that he considered Cornelius a particularly good designer.  Nor did he seem to think that Cornelius' effort this time was a misstep.  He used it only to rap Erin and Dexter on the knuckles.  Boo.  YMMV.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 3

I didn't watch Under the Gunn, but I've read here and elsewhere that Tim enabled bullyingish sort of behavior on that show, if not encouraged it. I've read comments from quite a few people that they no longer liked him after that show, but some seemed to be coming back around on him this season.

This episode makes me wonder if the producers (or someone) engineered the whole set-up knowing the teams would lead to someone being left out and crying "mean girls" or "bully" so the judges could auf that someone and Tim could save the person, thus leading to redemption for Tim.

Or maybe I'm too cynical.

It was his overt favoritism and bias that entered into the show.  He also joined in on some 'mean girl' comments towards at least one of the participants (and I think it was the designer who ended up winning).  The 'mentors' were former winners/designers and he joined in with his favorites (Ana and Mondo that I recall).  He wasn't neutral and that is what disappointed me.  This summary is from memory of the season (I haven't watched it since) so I may be off on some of this, but I think it is an accurate recollection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

This summary is from memory of the season (I haven't watched it since) so I may be off on some of this, but I think it is an accurate recollection.

I also only watched it once but your memory agrees with mine. I always enjoyed Tim up until that show but he came off so incredibly bad that I haven't been able to view him favorably since. Anya and Mondo really awful also.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, seacliffsal said:

It was his overt favoritism and bias that entered into the show.  He also joined in on some 'mean girl' comments towards at least one of the participants (and I think it was the designer who ended up winning).  The 'mentors' were former winners/designers and he joined in with his favorites (Ana and Mondo that I recall).  He wasn't neutral and that is what disappointed me.  This summary is from memory of the season (I haven't watched it since) so I may be off on some of this, but I think it is an accurate recollection.

On 7/9/2023 at 5:26 PM, ichbin said:

I also only watched it once but your memory agrees with mine. I always enjoyed Tim up until that show but he came off so incredibly bad that I haven't been able to view him favorably since. Anya and Mondo really awful also.  

Thank you…that’s sad.  I never really cared for Mondo I thought he could be rude sometimes.  I don’t even remember who Anya is, was she the one that couldn’t sew? The only time I didn’t care for Tim on PR was when he called that one model a marshmallow or something of the sort. I thought that kinda rude.  I do liked that kinda of lead designers to think for themselves whereas Christian sometimes seems like he is telling people exactly what to do although in his defense I don’t know if they’d be able to come up with these things on their own.  Maybe it’s because Tim was a teacher and Christian is a designer so it’s just a different viewpoint on mentoring.

On a side note, I always wondered if Tim got a bonus for mentioning year after year without bursting into laughter that this was his “favorite season and the designers were the MOST talented”. 😊

• Like 3