Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: More Girls than Kody can Handle?

• Start Topic

All of the girls seems like really nice young ladies who accept Kody's weaknesses and are able to laugh about them. I noticed that one of the girls has really bright yellow teeth. I saw it on a previous episode and again during this one. I don't want to get too specific because she is just a child but ICK. I thought maybe it was the lighting or something but the other girls' teeth all looked normal.

Edited by Oosala
Ok, this is going to sound weird, but I was a young girl once and had crushes on older guys, but I kinda think Aurora has some kind of crush on Kody, and it happens that her mom married her crush...and now he is her "father."  It's strange.  I think Kody is oblivious to it, and Robyn thinks the kids need a father to take the place of Jessop.  OR it could be that Aurora is just happy to be in her real live Brady Bunch lifestyle, and Robyn really sold her a bill of goods.  In any case, Aurora is going to be one messed up young lady.  I hope not, but she just seems so much needier than ALL of the others.

Aurora worries me, she does come off so needy and has from the beginning of the show. No doubt a product

of her mother's awesome parenting. I do wonder what the girl really thinks and believes. But she's been

coached so much by her mother and told so many horrible things about her dad by her mother, she might

even know what she thinks. I worry her neediness is going to get her into trouble when a boy looks at her. 

• Love 4

Did anybody else think that the talking heads without Meri were filmed since the catfish thing came out? Because Robin is way more pregnant there than earlier scenes where you can tell. She is full basketball state and they're not really trying to hide it. Depending on her actual due date they may be quite recent. Also, the moment the show got wind of it (before it went viral) I bet they would have called them in for filming just in case they lost control of them or the network told them to cease and desist.

I agree that while Kody is a jerk, the kids are likely to treasure and remember goofing off with Dad without obnoxious brothers around better than the excruciating spectacle of Dad trying to talk to them about their dearest hopes and wishes. They'll have to endure that when they bring a boy home. That's scary enough.

I think the comment about them ONLY having 17 kids being SMALL for a polygamous family was a dig at Meri - lol. 

I get that there are some stepfathers that fall into the roll of dad pretty easily.  That said, I thought it was a bit pushy and presumptuous of Robyn's girls to go on that trip.  I can't imagine it feels good to be his biological daughter and be getting the same bonding treatment as these new daughters. But I guess they see it as the kid's of his wife are his kids as well - which is nice.  

It's like for 11 years you've been an afterthought and your dad FINALLY wants to spend time with you - but instead of dividing it with your 2 sisters you're now dividing it with your 2 sisters and 2 step sisters.

I'm rambling and not explaining myself correctly 

• Love 3

I think the talking heads moments are always filmed late in the season, when they are done editing, and know which film clips they want to discuss. I know the 'cast' always try to talk in the present or future tense if they got interviewed during the filming of the scene, but I don't think we should believe it.   I also don't think they follow much of a serial time line - they like to stick filler into the episodes to bring them up to the required number of minutes. 

All of the girls seems like really nice young ladies who accept Kody's weaknesses and are able to laugh about them. I noticed that one of the girls has really bright yellow teeth. I saw it on a previous episode and again during this one. I don't want to get too specific because she is just a child but ICK. I thought maybe it was the lighting or something but the other girls' teeth all looked normal.

I think you are referring to Gwendolyn. She has very yellow teeth. I agree that Aurora is so clingy around Kody. It's always bothered me. I think Ysabel is beautiful like her sister, Aspyn.

• Love 1

I really really felt like the scene with Meri and Janelle was the most true unedited moment of this entire program. I get it. As you age, you tend to be more introspective about your own part in minor and major disagreements. Especially for these two, who have to deal with each other daily. Also,I really sense a love for each other's children with these two. Just an instinct.

Ysabels bday should have been her trip and maybe her pick of one sister/buddy. I felt bad for Gwendolyn and Savannah at the rides. I think just hanging at the beach or looking in all the cool shops would have been more fun for all of them as a group.But Robyns kids like the rides and so does the douchemaster so of course that was the primary entertainment.

They are really scrambling now to appease the internet gripers but hey. .if it gets the kids more equal treatment, let's keep bitching! :)

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 2

Surfer Kody tweeted:

Kody Brown ‏@realkodybrown  · 22h22 hours ago 

Cute surfer family cake. Even if I can't surf. I can talk like a surfer dude. My girls hated it.

#SisterWives

It always seems like when he talks about something someone is his family didn't like he finds it hilarious. He really derives joy from upsetting other people.

• Love 8

Ok, this is going to sound weird, but I was a young girl once and had crushes on older guys, but I kinda think Aurora has some kind of crush on Kody, and it happens that her mom married her crush...and now he is her "father." It's strange. I think Kody is oblivious to it, and Robyn thinks the kids need a father to take the place of Jessop. OR it could be that Aurora is just happy to be in her real live Brady Bunch lifestyle, and Robyn really sold her a bill of goods. In any case, Aurora is going to be one messed up young lady. I hope not, but she just seems so much needier than ALL of the others.

I don't remember if it was on this board or elsewhere where I read a speculation that the reason Robyn wants him adopt the kids so badly is because she's worried he might want to make her daughter wife number 5 in a few years!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought Robyn's comment about wishing the vacation was more about meaningful bonding rather than just goofing around was because she is desperately trying to get Kody to establish this really intense relationship with her kids because of the adoption. I don't for a minute believe that the kids are begging to dump their father. She's hoping to convince them that Kody is the "real" dad and she assumes that developing this bond with deep, meaningful discussions is the way to do it.  Of course it's not. But I assume that's what Robyn is hoping for. I don't think she cares at all if he bonds with the other kids.

• Love 1

It always seems like when he talks about something someone is his family didn't like he finds it hilarious. He really derives joy from upsetting other people.

Because he has to strut and prance that he WON. He' in charge ,he's the best, he's the man, he gets his way. Really, really, sad, when winning is showing your dominance over a bunch of little girls in choosing a cake. He's the man. Everyone bow. 

I don't remember if it was on this board or elsewhere where I read a speculation that the reason Robyn wants him adopt the kids so badly is because she's worried he might want to make her daughter wife number 5 in a few years!

Gross and outlandish, but wouldn't put it past them. They really have few boundaries in the family wreath. Kody and Robyn's daughters are only vaguely blood related (Kody and the girls' dad are cousins), age gaps mean nothing, and.......ew..........I thought she'd bring her sister into the fold, but, ew.

I honestly don't get an incest vibe, more that Kody needs to be adored, and Robyn is grooming those girls to manipulate men. Robyn's either going to have a lot of trouble out of that one, or they'll be man-hunting buddies if she ever kicks Kody to the foreclosed curb.

• Love 6

Don't dismiss her teeth as something disgusting.  I had my first seizure at age two, and I had to take a medication called Dilantin Infatab.  Not only are my teeth stained as a result of the medication, but there is no procedure that can take the staining away, according to dentists and doctors both-- and I also have inflamed gums, and if I have to get a dental procedure done, my gums must be removed. (they grow back though)  I'm almost 39 now and people still think my mouth is something disgusting, when in actuality I take really good care of it.  So you never know what the cause is for her teeth.

• Love 9

Kody was certainly footloose and fancy-free in this episode, wasn't he? Probably because he was on vacation for the 70th time this year, and he got to "show off" (read: fall off a mechanical shark and "forget" to pack his surfer bro gear) to a bunch of pre-teen girls.

I also call b.s. on Maddie's church story. Someone call Mulder and Scully, because the truth is out there, and it's certainly not what the Browns are saying in front of the cameras. I also didn't like how Robyn seemed to be baiting Maddie, asking her several times, "aren't you MAD, though?" Shut up, Robyn. The only people who are "persecuting" you are the folks at Victoria's Secret because they want you to pay your damn bill.

Gwendolyn is feisty and smart. Love her! Also genuinely liked the moment between Janelle and Meri. It's nice to see Janelle allow herself to show some emotion.

• Love 6

Kody and the girls had plenty of time to talk during the several hours they were in the car going to and from California. Additionally, I think it's ridiculous any of those mothers (Robyn!) would expect him to have all this one-on-one time with five girls in just a few days.

• Love 1

If TLC was not supporting his family, Kody's bonding time with his daughters would be eating peanut butter sandwiches in the back yard. How much would it cost to drive to Orange County, rent a home on the beach, go out to eat numerous times, take the kids to an amusement park, have a custom made birthday cake, and more. I'm assuming Disneyland and Knott's turned them down.

• Love 5
I think it really sucks that Maddie's church won't allow her to be baptized since she won't denounce her parents. That's what's wrong with organized religion - everyone has to be "right", there are no other options. I am a Christian, but I haven't attended church in years. I think people should do whatever makes them happy, whatever gives them a purpose. I can believe in my God and the Bible without thinking that everyone else is wrong, doomed, an idiot, etc. Maddie believes in something, but she's being shunned because she accepts her family for who they are? That's just really screwed up.

Re: Maddie - I agree with you but I doubt that if she had knocked on the door of a mainstream Protestant religion, such as Presbyterian, Methodist or Episcopalian that she would ever have been turned away in a million years - and believe me they all have their faults too but that isn't one of them.  Of course Maddie goes to the Mormon church which has issues with the Fundie Mormons, so what does she expect?  I don't even know that much about the Mormons but I could have predicted that response based on the little I do know.  They rejected her because they want to distance themselves from Fundie Mormons in the eyes of the world as much as possible.  They think we'll all think the Mormon church is going soft on polygamy if they do accept her, that's why they told her to come back when the family wasn't so public.  So it's all about appearances with them not beliefs.  It does suck that she isn't being accepted in the church whose belief system matches her beliefs but you'd think that maybe that might be a wake-up call for her to start questioning whether that religion really does match her beliefs.  Gee, ya think?  So instead she says something lame about not joining any church because none other matches her beliefs.  Yeah, right, just deny yourself the experience because you're too closed minded to find another church.  There aren't enough hours in the day for me to rant on this subject!

1.  Another poster above beat me to it, but to restate....boys and girls, men and women, process relationships differently.  Kody THINKS that all this activity is what bonds girls but it's not.  It's what bonds boys.  10 minutes sitting on the beach chatting with each girl singly would have a huge impact.  My own dad, for as GOOD  a provider and a GOOD person he was, completely misunderstood how much male attention meant in the formative years and that frankly had a huge impact that I still deal with emotionally.  So I'm glad to see time spent with his girls, doing anything at all because just the effort to do it speaks volumes....but Kody please don't think it ends here.  When you're just running to the store ask one to join you.  Car time is great talk time.  Small gestures that show them INDIVIDUALLY that the relationship is not all about you. 

As much as I agree with you to some degree I think with Kody it goes deeper than male/female differences into personality type.  Kody is an all action/all the time kind of guy.  He's no lap-dog and he's quite ADD if you ask me.  He can get into talking relationships but he really does lack that something people need to focus on one person long enough to do in depth emotional bonding.  Perhaps that's why he was drawn to the plural lifestyle in the first place, but also with that many kids he just doesn't have the time.  So I think it's that plus it's not a natural way of being for him nor a priority.  And I don't even think in-depth emotional bonding has to include heart to heart talks either, just being with the person alone long enough to pay attention to them, which he can never do because he has so many freaking kids.  Anyway, I think he took the girls away for appearance's sake because he knows what public opinion is about him and the quality of his parenting.

Ain't that the truth.  The Mormons have posthumously babtized as many of the people killed in the Nazi death camps as they could.  Just find a name and they do it.  Doesn't matter that those people probably never heard of the Mormons, or might have preferred their own religion (or none at all).

I know, when I did my genealogy I found evidence of my New England ancestors having been posthumously baptized by the Mormons in their genealogical database, and it pissed me off because I KNOW my Vermonter forebears would NOT have wanted that no way no how.  I think it's an awful practice, and they should keep their nose out of other people's family business.  Without their consent?  Just ridiculous, you'd have to live in a fantasy world to justify something as far fetched as that.

Maybe it's not great for men nowadays because the women tend stand up for themselves, or have demands and expectations, rather than merely "keeping sweet" all day and all night.  Yeah, polygamy is still all about the man, but now he's gotta deal with women who get feisty and lippy, complain about the state of the marriage (Christine), have online affairs (Meri), have huge meltdowns (Nonnie), and even walk out (Janelle).

As for Brady ... where to begin? I disliked him orders-of-magnitude more than Kody. Kody is a self-centered doof, but Brady's narcissism and phoniness was intolerable to me. The fake sweet-talking ("mmwwaah, love ya!"); the fakety-fake-fake concern for his wives ("oh, is that today?" - wife's hospital test for cancer); the remote, checked-out, dead eyes; and don't get me started on his going back to school for a philosophy degree. Brady made me spit nails and throw objects at the screen. I don't think I've ever had such a visceral reaction to anyone else on tv. LOL

I agree about "nowadays" especially with these women who aren't isolated on some farm way out in the middle of the prairie and they know how the "other half" lives, which probably raises their expectations quite a bit from the polyg. women who are kept barefoot and pregnant and never really see the outside world.

As for Brady - ME TOO on every single point, even down to calling it a visceral reaction!

One last thing:  Based on her past behavior and Christine's TH in which she says Aurora is moody and has ups and downs, I'm wondering if she isn't showing early signs of manic depression, amongst other dysfunctional things.

• Love 3

His response was so ridiculous. "Some would say having 17 kids on a planet that already has 6 billion is irresponsible but that's just like your opinion man."

Well, he's only off by a mere 1.3 billion people. Sure Kody, the massive environmental burden already being exerted on the resources of the planet are just a matter of opinion. He and Michelle Duggar ought to cozy up and chat about how overpopulation is a "myth" and the entire world population could stand shoulder-to-shoulder in wherever the hell it was she said. Interesting that massive reproduction and deep ignorance seem to so often coincide.

ETA: http://www.census.gov/popclock/

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 3

One last thing:  Based on her past behavior and Christine's TH in which she says Aurora is moody and has ups and downs, I'm wondering if she isn't showing early signs of manic depression, amongst other dysfunctional things.

I thought she was talking about Ysabel--but yes, I thought about Bipolar D/O as well.  Or maybe she has inherited her mother's severe PMS!

• Love 1

In regards to comparing Kody and Brady, I think both men suck as men, husbands and fathers. Neither

is much of prize. Kody can't be bothered to do anything that's not fun or all about him. He also can't

be bothered to work, or show any interest in his kids. He treats his wives and kids like crap. 

Brady really isn't any better. He favors two or three wives over all of them, that was really

clear on his show. He pressures one wife to quit a job she loved, and I'm assuming brought

in money for their two dozen kids. I hate the way he gives his "permission" on which wife

can be pregnant, cause you know its all up to him. And the way he's blowing money

on a worthless degree. Money that could easily put towards college for his two dozen

kids.

• Love 3
cause you know its all up to him

That's polygamy in a nutshell.  Skip all of the religious jargon and boil it down to one man directing his sheep wives in all aspects of their lives.  It's all about power and sex.  Nothing religious about it.

• Love 10

I suspect that Kody' s bonding time with the girls was an idea developed from start to finish by the TLC producers. He just showed up, posed for a few close ups, got to do his annoying surfer dude voice, and hurried back to the biggest full length mirror in the cul de sac to admire himself as Polygamist Father of the Year.

• Love 6

I suspect that Kody' s bonding time with the girls was an idea developed from start to finish by the TLC producers. He just showed up, posed for a few close ups, got to do his annoying surfer dude voice, and hurried back to the biggest full length mirror in the cul de sac to admire himself as Polygamist Father of the Year.

I must disagree. The Huntington Beach trip was most likely planned by the Browns solely to show TLC all the fun things they had planned for this season. The trip was a Brown budget -- inexpensive tiny AirBnb rental blocks from the beach.
  • Love 2

I must disagree. The Huntington Beach trip was most likely planned by the Browns solely to show TLC all the fun things they had planned for this season. The trip was a Brown budget -- inexpensive tiny AirBnb rental blocks from the beach.

I personally think it's a little of both. When you refer to "TLC producers" the actual production staff is Figure 8 Films and Puddlemonkey Productions. TLC pays the production company a set amount for filming X number of episodes and F8F probably decided to spend a specific amount on off-site/travel. They want to make as much $$ as possible so the cheaper the production costs the better.

Also they have a trip to Alaska this season, that probably cost the bulk of their travel budget.

We will NEVER see an episode of SW with Disneyland ever. I'm certain of that.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 3

I'm going to keep saying this: the LDS probably didn't say Maddie would have to sever ties to her family, they probably want her to stop appearing on the show.

And she probably gets paid by TLC every time she appears, so she doesn't want to give up the paycheck.

• Love 2

Kody was certainly footloose and fancy-free in this episode, wasn't he? Probably because he was on vacation for the 70th time this year, and he got to "show off" (read: fall off a mechanical shark and "forget" to pack his surfer bro gear) to a bunch of pre-teen girls.

I also call b.s. on Maddie's church story. Someone call Mulder and Scully, because the truth is out there, and it's certainly not what the Browns are saying in front of the cameras. I also didn't like how Robyn seemed to be baiting Maddie, asking her several times, "aren't you MAD, though?" Shut up, Robyn. The only people who are "persecuting" you are the folks at Victoria's Secret because they want you to pay your damn bill.

Gwendolyn is feisty and smart. Love her! Also genuinely liked the moment between Janelle and Meri. It's nice to see Janelle allow herself to show some emotion.

Gwendolyn is the one I suspect showed Truely the air quotes for "parents."

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 2

I personally think it's a little of both. When you refer to "TLC producers" the actual production staff is Figure 8 Films and Puddlemonkey Productions. TLC pays the production company a set amount for filming X number of episodes and F8F probably decided to spend a specific amount on off-site/travel. They want to make as much $$ as possible so the cheaper the production costs the better.

Also they have a trip to Alaska this season, that probably cost the bulk of their travel budget.

Alaska? Jeez. Can't wait to see how they can make Alaska boring.
We will NEVER see an episode of SW with Disneyland ever. I'm certain of that.

If the family was honest with what was being filmed, could you imagine the shock of watching Meri prep for Disney to meet the love of her life -- to only have his "assistant" show up. The catfishing would have been ratings gold.

• Love 1

I'm going to keep saying this: the LDS probably didn't say Maddie would have to sever ties to her family, they probably want her to stop appearing on the show.

And she probably gets paid by TLC every time she appears, so she doesn't want to give up the paycheck.

I don't know that she would want to misrepresent what they said to her if she really wants to get into the church.  I don't think the LDS church would appreciate it if she did that.  Unless she really doesn't care and once again this was just a made-up plot device.  The family certainly has reasons to want to make the LDS church look bad.

• Love 1

If TLC was not supporting his family, Kody's bonding time with his daughters would be eating peanut butter sandwiches in the back yard. How much would it cost to drive to Orange County, rent a home on the beach, go out to eat numerous times, take the kids to an amusement park, have a custom made birthday cake, and more. I'm assuming Disneyland and Knott's turned them down.

I think you are giving Kody too much credit. Without a vacation attached to it, he wouldn't bother to have the peanut butter sandwiches in the back yard. He could do that kind of thing all the time but never does. From what I can tell he didn't before the show either. Even in the early days they showed him running from house to house to get food and drop his seed but not to share his limited time with his kids. This trip wasn't about bonding. Kody saw another way to get a vacation, so he agreed. 

• Love 3

Um, Kody, if you are taking 5 daughters with you on a trip, it is the 6 of you, not the 5 of you.  I guess his lack of math skills explains a lot about this family!!

This bugged me as well -- he said it more than once.  What also bugged me:  the description for this episode in the guide on my TV (Comcast) stated that Kody took his five youngest daughters on a trip to California.  Um, no, he didn't.  Truley would be in the group of five youngest.  

As fun as it is to snark on this crew, I don't really see any risk of that.

Gross and outlandish, but wouldn't put it past them. They really have few boundaries in the family wreath. Kody and Robyn's daughters are only vaguely blood related (Kody and the girls' dad are cousins), age gaps mean nothing, and.......ew..........I thought she'd bring her sister into the fold, but, ew.

This is completely news to me.  Kody and Robyn's ex-husband are cousins?  First cousins or something more distant, like third or fourth cousins?  (Completely off topic, but.....  a couple of weeks ago I met one of my third cousins (we share great-great-grandparents).  Genealogy can be a wonderful thing!)

• Love 1
As much as I agree with you to some degree I think with Kody it goes deeper than male/female differences into personality type.  Kody is an all action/all the time kind of guy.  He's no lap-dog and he's quite ADD if you ask me.  He can get into talking relationships but he really does lack that something people need to focus on one person long enough to do in depth emotional bonding.  Perhaps that's why he was drawn to the plural lifestyle in the first place,

Wow, I never really thought about that, but I think you may be onto something. Kody is one who really seemed to flourish when they moved to Vegas, and they weren't all in the same house any more. We see how he practically runs from house to house and is always flinging doors open. I bet you anything he is really enjoying having a totally different life every night, and keeping things "exciting" for him. He never really has to get too serious, because the wives may not want to pick a fight when they know they only have one night. 

Of course, that's IF there is a regular rotation, and I've long speculated there might not be. 

BUT....I do think that Kody is very immature and does not relate well to his older kids because they're growing up and need less of a "playful" relationship, and more of an emotional connection. It makes a lot of sense that he would pick so many wives, so that he never has to work THAT hard at forming one connection. 

• Love 4

What also bugged me:  the description for this episode in the guide on my TV (Comcast) stated that Kody took his five youngest daughters on a trip to California.  Um, no, he didn't.  Truley would be in the group of five youngest.

I honestly don't even think Kody realizes that Truly (I think it's spelled with an e but auto correct keeps changing it, heh) is his daughter. He's all about King Sol and appears to care less about her.

Did that Peggy Sue's diner or whatever that place is called actually want Kody advertising their place of business? It was so blatant I had to laugh. Kody: "I've driven by this place before, and I've always wanted to go!" *close up of restaurant sign* *close up of menu* Kody: "I'll bet the liver and onions here are just super!" Blonde girl: "The milkshakes were my favorite!" Gee golly, it's the finest dining a Wacky Polygamist and his mostly ignored daughters could ever hope for!

• Love 3

This bugged me as well -- he said it more than once.  What also bugged me:  the description for this episode in the guide on my TV (Comcast) stated that Kody took his five youngest daughters on a trip to California.  Um, no, he didn't.  Truley would be in the group of five youngest.  

As fun as it is to snark on this crew, I don't really see any risk of that.

This is completely news to me.  Kody and Robyn's ex-husband are cousins?  First cousins or something more distant, like third or fourth cousins?  (Completely off topic, but.....  a couple of weeks ago I met one of my third cousins (we share great-great-grandparents).  Genealogy can be a wonderful thing!)

Family wreath = Kody is Jessop's third cousin (they share a set of great grandparents). Jessop is Christine's first cousin (one of his parents and one of her parents are siblings). Kody and Christine are third cousins. 

One of Meri's sister moms (one of her dad's wives, not her bio mother) is somehow biologically related to Jessop, but Meri is not biologically related to him. This is why I don't believe they all didn't at least know who Robyn was - ESPECIALLY MERI - and a big chunk of her family history before they initiated the whole courtship with her. 

Janelle was married first to Meri's brother. Janelle's bio mother is married to Kody's bio father. Janelle and Kody did not grow up as siblings in the same household. Janelle married Kody after her mother married his father. 

These people need to branch out and recruit. I can't believe I just typed that. 

• Love 5
Re: Maddie - I agree with you but I doubt that if she had knocked on the door of a mainstream Protestant religion, such as Presbyterian, Methodist or Episcopalian that she would ever have been turned away in a million years - and believe me they all have their faults too but that isn't one of them.

I think a lot of religions would suggest a period of reflection if a potential member were intimately involved in publicly promoting something inherently dangerous to their faith (dangerous in the sense that they've been trying to dump the polygamy stigma for a hundred years).  I don't think they told her to "shun" her family, but as another poster pointed out, said she couldn't be on the show.  Or they just plain don't trust her yet to NOT be on the show, and so they said "try again later."  

If the Browns were not on tv I bet they'd have baptized her in a second -- she would then be in place to possibly convert all her siblings and bring them back to what they consider the true faith.  

Based on her past behavior and Christine's TH in which she says Aurora is moody and has ups and downs, I'm wondering if she isn't showing early signs of manic depression, amongst other dysfunctional things.

Christine described just about every teenage girl I ever met - that's considered bipolar, now? I saw it as a wry acknowledgment that it's that time of life, and good luck with that, Kody.

• Love 1

I can see not taking her on the trip.  She is years younger than the girls who went.  But an aware father would plan something special for her, too.  I'm sure getting ice cream with just her and dad would make her happy.

• Love 5

I think a lot of religions would suggest a period of reflection if a potential member were intimately involved in publicly promoting something inherently dangerous to their faith (dangerous in the sense that they've been trying to dump the polygamy stigma for a hundred years).  I don't think they told her to "shun" her family, but as another poster pointed out, said she couldn't be on the show.  Or they just plain don't trust her yet to NOT be on the show, and so they said "try again later."  

If the Browns were not on tv I bet they'd have baptized her in a second -- she would then be in place to possibly convert all her siblings and bring them back to what they consider the true faith.  

Christine described just about every teenage girl I ever met - that's considered bipolar, now? I saw it as a wry acknowledgment that it's that time of life, and good luck with that, Kody.

I posted a link on the last page, but it seems like it's actually very common for the LDS church to be hesitant to baptize someone who was involved with polygamy, even if they were never polygamous themselves. A lot of people with polygamy backgrounds have trouble joining the LDS church, not just public figures. I don't doubt, though, that the tv show made the church especially cautious about letting Maddy be baptized.

I keep saying "the church" but the decision is actually up to local LDS leaders and it's possible that if Maddy had been in a different mission area she would have been baptized right away.

I can see not taking her on the trip.  She is years younger than the girls who went.  But an aware father would plan something special for her, too.  I'm sure getting ice cream with just her and dad would make her happy.

Isn't she 5 or 6? That's old enough to go to that small amusement park they went to and the beach is for all ages. Real families have to accommodate a variety of ages. The older kids were old enough to ride on their own so Truely could have ridden the smaller rides with Kody and waited with him while the older girls did the bigger ones. But that would have meant that Kody couldn't do everything he wanted to and would have had to skip some rides he wanted to ride, you know like normal fathers do. The real reason Kody didn't take Truely is that it requires work to take a younger child. He's really only wiling to spend time alone with kids who don't need much from him and whose needs don't require any sacrifice on his part.

• Love 9

He's an ass. He really wouldn't have had to do anything. Those girls would have taken care of her like they probably do at home. But if she went, you know that King of his and Robyns would have been there too.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 4

I keep saying "the church" but the decision is actually up to local LDS leaders and it's possible that if Maddy had been in a different mission area she would have been baptized right away.

Madison said that the decision to refuse her baptism came from the First Presidency, which is to say the tippy top of the Mormon hierarchy. I suppose she could be mistaken or lying about that, but if it's true, being in a different area wouldn't change anything for her.

I think it's sickening. This church takes the position that the baptism is essential to the fate of Madison's immortal soul. And they're turning her away for PR purposes? Yeah, that's exactly what Jesus would do. 

• Love 1

That picture of poor little Truley all sad about being left out breaks my shriveled black heart. 

Kody is just an obtuse, insensitive ass.  Not only for excluding Truely in the first place, but also for allowing her watch the program and see how they were all off having fun without her, while having not already done something super special to make it up to her in advance of her seeing the show so she would not have been so hurt when they watched it.  Which he seems to have clearly not done.  

He's just such a turd. 

• Love 13

I just watched this tonight. The girls seem genuine if a bit desperate for attention. Wow, that Savannah looks just like Janelle.

I thought the moment when Kody was talking about Robyn being his only shot for more kids was peculiar. In an odd way it seemed candid yet it creeped me out that he seemed to discount the women who gave him 13 kids as played out. Maybe he didn't mean it that way, dunno.

• Love 1

I just watched this tonight. The girls seem genuine if a bit desperate for attention. Wow, that Savannah looks just like Janelle.

I thought the moment when Kody was talking about Robyn being his only shot for more kids was peculiar. In an odd way it seemed candid yet it creeped me out that he seemed to discount the women who gave him 13 kids as played out. Maybe he didn't mean it that way, dunno.

Nope he meant it that way. Isn't Christine only two or three years older than Robyn? Kody's a collector. Only cares about bragging about the number of kids he has, not the actual children when they're here. He and Michelle Duggar are two peas in a pod.

• Love 5