Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Food Traditions!

PRgal
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Quof said:

Have you noticed they now sell mini-eggs in resealable bags?  Who's not finishing their mini eggs??????  That's rather like Ben & Jerry telling you how many servings there are in a carton. Duh, one.

I just use a chip clip to seal my bag. No way I can eat the whole bag at once (the big bag, not the mini bag).

3 hours ago, Quof said:

Have you noticed they now sell mini-eggs in resealable bags?  Who's not finishing their mini eggs??????  That's rather like Ben & Jerry telling you how many servings there are in a carton. Duh, one.

I don't!  I eat, maybe three or four at a time.  Max.  I can also make a chocolate bar last for weeks. 

I bought a bag of Whopper robin eggs after Easter.  I like malted milk balls, but my favorite ones are the stale ones where the inside is denser, almost chewy.  Happily, the bag had a few of them.  It they just sold stale malted milk balls, I would so buy them.

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

I bought a bag of Whopper robin eggs after Easter.  I like malted milk balls, but my favorite ones are the stale ones where the inside is denser, almost chewy.  Happily, the bag had a few of them.  It they just sold stale malted milk balls, I would so buy them.

I'm with you. I also like stale Peeps. I wish you could buy those too! 

• Love 1
On 4/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, DeLurker said:

Check out a dollar store next year. I'm pretty sure their candy is all from the year before.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I think you can hasten the "stale-ing" process with Peeps by taking them out of the package and putting them in a paper bag, so they dry out faster. Plastic wrap or bags would hold in the moisture. As for the chewy malt balls, I seem to remember the ones I;ve had were a bit deflated, and maybe had a small hole in them? I guess you could try poking a hole in them with an ice pick, then sealing them in a plastic bag -- the moisture would probably help add that chewy texture.

Yes, I have given this way too much thought.

I have a friend who tried to put her peeps in a dehydrator because she only liked them REALLY stale. Protip, don't do that! I do open the package and then throw them in the cabinet for a few weeks to speed the process along, but you're right. I should be transferring them to paper bags! Genius! 

On 4/19/2017 at 5:27 PM, Quof said:

Not Ben and Jerrys but upon recommendation I got Haagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter one time. Oh my word- I honestly couldn't stop eating it.  

So I would put it in the freezer and run back for just one more spoonful. You know how this ends. I felt such shame I googled "I just ate a pint of Haagen Dazs".   I've never felt so loved and accepted reading various message boards.

To keep on topic, I am not into eggs and have made this for Christmas brunch the last five or so years.  It's very well received.  Note for high class there are some not very hip ingredients involved but the end result is good!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sausage-hash-brown-bake

My husband and I went to his cousin's house for Rosh Hashanah on Wednesday evening.  Her dinners are never "traditional" in the sense that we did not have, say, brisket.  Instead, it was middle eastern - hummus, tabouli, chicken skewers, etc...of course, we had challah and apples dipped in honey as well (we also had apple slices and honey for breakfast the next day). :) 

(Canadian) Thanksgiving is coming up next.  I'm actually NOT cooking this year!! I just don't feel like it, and my husband always complains that I never make mashed potatoes or "traditional" bread stuffing.  Instead, we're heading a club my family is a member of for THEIR dinner!

• Love 3
On 4/16/2017 at 6:14 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Yes, definitely a great area for that and should be able to consistently find them under $15. 

I actually found some Cotes at TJ's for $5-7 that were actually good. They just need to breathe a bit before drinking. I find them to usually be under utilized and not in the popular category of what's in. 

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends to the north! I am getting excited about menu planning for Thanksgiving and Christmas. True confession....I've never made a pie with a real homemade pastry crust, only with a graham cracker crust. I have decided to give it a test drive this week so that I can figure out what I'm doing before the big day. I found my mom's pie crust recipe and I'll do an apple pie. Wish me luck! Anyone else putting on their Big Girl Panties and trying a new dish for the holidays? I'll probably keep the meats and veggies the same as last year: a moist oven roasted chicken with crispy skin ala Ina Garten with dressing ala Spunkymom for Thanksgiving and a beef tenderloin for Christmas with horseradish sauce. Both are just about foolproof and the leftovers are yummy. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends to the north! I am getting excited about menu planning for Thanksgiving and Christmas. True confession....I've never made a pie with a real homemade pastry crust, only with a graham cracker crust. I have decided to give it a test drive this week so that I can figure out what I'm doing before the big day. I found my mom's pie crust recipe and I'll do an apple pie. Wish me luck! Anyone else putting on their Big Girl Panties and trying a new dish for the holidays? I'll probably keep the meats and veggies the same as last year: a moist oven roasted chicken with crispy skin ala Ina Garten with dressing ala Spunkymom for Thanksgiving and a beef tenderloin for Christmas with horseradish sauce. Both are just about foolproof and the leftovers are yummy. 

Most of my family hates turkey, so my brother and I (the ones who prepare the bulk of the food) are going rogue and making roasted chicken along with the turkey.  We are hoping our family votes chicken only in response to it, or agrees to just do a small turkey for the few that really like it, and chickens for the rest of us!  Maybe one day we'll get them onto duck.  (haha, fat chance)

I've made pie crust from scratch many times, but not often enough to really have mastered it, especially the crimping bit.  I'm very proud of myself that I have 2 pies already made for Thanksgiving, peach and apple.  I did the peach in the summer when it was peak season, and just did the apple a few weeks ago.  I'll also be making a pecan pie, and letting my grandma buy the pumpkin at the store.  It's not worth the trouble for something that tastes pretty much the same.  My other grandma will be bringing her butterscotch pudding...smacking my lips just thinking about it.  

This recipe is pecan pie perfection, although the crust is kind of a pain.  Chill it for longer than it says.

Toasted Pecan Tart with Bourbon Whipped Cream

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

Most of my family hates turkey, so my brother and I (the ones who prepare the bulk of the food) are going rogue and making roasted chicken along with the turkey.

I have a hard time comprehending hating turkey.  When their kids were young, my SIL told my nieces and nephews that turkey was "big chicken" because they liked chicken but were certain, without benefit of tasting any, they hated turkey.  It worked.

If you and your brother do all the cooking, I'd say the decision is up to you.  Or just buy a turkey breast or other part and cook that instead of a whole bird.

• Love 1

Small turkeys have no flavour.  Buy a breast, maybe a thigh or two.  Then you can brine them (I find it too hard to brine a whole turkey), and you will have a bit of a carcass to make stock. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I have a hard time comprehending hating turkey. 

As a kid, I thought I hated turkey.  We just do a turkey breast, because we go camping (in a motorhome) for Thanksgiving and there are only ever three or four of us.  My mom was getting one of those frozen Butterball breasts and then my dad was annihilating it on the grill (maybe following the 180-degrees recommendation, or quite possibly not even checking the internal temperature).  Once we switched to a fresh natural turkey breast, brined it, and yanked it off the grill right at 160, I discovered turkey is delicious.

In advance, I roast wings, a back, and thighs to get pan drippings, then eat the thigh meat and use its bones plus the wings and back to make stock, so I can make gravy and then later make soup with leftovers.

• Love 1

My brother is a chef, so we're cooking the meat to the proper temperature so that it is the juiciest possible.  We also break down the turkey so that we roast the separate pieces on a sheet pan and pull each piece when it comes up to temp, so we're not overcooking one part of the bird while another finishes.  We generally smear it with an herbed butter mixture and make a gravy out of stock that we made with stock.  The gravy's great, the meat is moist, but I just don't care for the taste of turkey.  I don't like deli turkey, either, although I will eat smoked turkey.  The smoke covers up the turkey taste, lol.  

• Love 1

My entire life we had Thanksgiving at a friends house, I did Christmas.  Now I am faced with having to make it.  It will just be my son and my 2 grandchildren (11 and 7),  one of whom is a vegetarian.  So it is pretty much for the 2 of us.  I suggested all kinds of alternative dinner plans but nope, he wants a turkey dinner.  

I found a 9.5 lb turkey so that is good.  I didn't think I could find one that small so I snapped it up; I am glad I looked. 

So I will spatchcock it, make stuffing and mashed potatoes.  I am looking for new ideas for a vegetable or something bright to counter the heavy stuff other than green  beans or brussels sprouts. 

I am a good cook and could come up with something but I am looking for something that I wouldn't think of! 

On 10/9/2017 at 7:18 AM, Quof said:

Small turkeys have no flavour.  Buy a breast, maybe a thigh or two.  Then you can brine them (I find it too hard to brine a whole turkey), and you will have a bit of a carcass to make stock. 

I have not found that to be true but I do know spatchcocking it will cook it quickly and not dry out the breast. Fat is what gives meat its flavor so I will put seasoned butter under the skin.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, wings707 said:

for new ideas for a vegetable or something bright to counter the heavy stuff other than green  beans or brussels sprouts. 

I saw this on a show today and it looked good...asparagus (2-3) rolled up into a tiny square of puff pastry (can add a bit of cheese on the inside) and then baked. What about starting with a roasted butternut squash soup? I just made it this weekend and everyone loved it. It's also another vegetarian dish for the grandchild. You don't always have to have "traditional" choices. Roasted whole carrots can be tasty or a medley of root veggies roasted up. Green beans Almondine or sautéed mushrooms with port or Marsala. 

On 11/7/2017 at 0:30 PM, Qoass said:

My local juice bar had a sign out today for a pumpkin spice smoothie.  Thoughts?

Might be good. It sounds like it would taste like unbaked pumpkin pie filling. Of course I'd want to know what's in it besides the spices. I'm even curious about the pumpkin spice cough drops. 

My favourite coffee shop used to make a pumpkin spice chai latte. They put a big spoonful of pumpkin pie filling in the milk before they steamed it.  It was awesome.   They advertised a countdown until it was available, people were very excited....  It was crazy expensive but worth it.

Then they sold the shop, the new owners fired all the old staff and it went downhill from there.

Welp, I've reached the 'what was I thinking / why do I do this to myself' stage of panic in planning my gingerbread contest entry this year. I only have 3 weeks and the roof construction is going to be complicated. Just needed to vent a little....

13 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

That Brusselsls sprout salad looks delicious. It's unfortunate that both hazelnuts and apples tend to make my throat close up when they are uncooked. I think I could roast some chick peas to replace the hazelnuts, but I'm not sure what to swap in for the sweetness that the apples add. Maybe super thin carrot? Dried cranberries?

All pitted tree fruits and nuts should be avoided by me.  Pears, apples, peaches, mangoes, plums, and almonds, walnuts, pecans and so on. 

If they’re cooked, I’m usually okay. So apple pie is fine. Even pecan pie is fine. (Or fine enough that I can get away with a small piece. Because it’s awesome.) If I eat an entire raw apple, my throat gets very irritated. Hazelnuts are even worse. I don’t mess with them at all. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

All pitted tree fruits and nuts should be avoided by me.  Pears, apples, peaches, mangoes, plums, and almonds, walnuts, pecans and so on. 

If they’re cooked, I’m usually okay. So apple pie is fine. Even pecan pie is fine. (Or fine enough that I can get away with a small piece. Because it’s awesome.) If I eat an entire raw apple, my throat gets very irritated. Hazelnuts are even worse. I don’t mess with them at all. 

Oh man, that sucks! I have the same problem with the fruits and nuts you mentioned (add bananas and cherries to the list) but only when my allergies are in full flight. Apparently it's some sort of overactive immune system reaction. I once had to go to the ER after eating an apple because my throat started to swell shut, as did my eyes. Anyway, for sweetness, I'd go with dried cranberries or cherries, or maybe grapes. Or, for a more savory note, this  Brussels sprout salad is delicious (just leave out the pine nuts).

11 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Apparently it's some sort of overactive immune system reaction.

Yep. I was told that it's my body confusing something in the fruits and nuts with my pollen allergies. Cherries for me as well. 

So my fruit consumption is typically bananas, fortunately for me, bananas are okay, strawberries, any other berry, pineapple, melon, grapes, and citrus. So it's not THAT bad, but this is rough period of time since I'm right in the middle of an apple producing area. That would be the fruit of choice if I could eat them. 

I do serve apples to my son, who loves them, and I will be making an apple pie or two for the holidays. Actually, I have a bag of apples that is getting down to the bottom and needs to be replaced this weekend. I think I might make an apple crisp which is also a typical item I make for Thanksgiving to be the alternative to the pumpkin pie.

I have to avoid FODMAPS, which are in most fruits.   Strangely, apples are supposed to be bad but I'm okay with them.   I can't have peaches, nectarines, plums, pears or melon.  God, I miss watermelon.  

On 11/14/2017 at 9:08 AM, JTMacc99 said:

That Brusselsls sprout salad looks delicious. It's unfortunate that both hazelnuts and apples tend to make my throat close up when they are uncooked. I think I could roast some chick peas to replace the hazelnuts, but I'm not sure what to swap in for the sweetness that the apples add. Maybe super thin carrot? Dried cranberries?

You could also use a soy nut or sunflower seeds for crunch.  Are cashews bad for you?  I know they're a weird, kind of non nut "nut," but I know that they also ping the allergy radar on a lot of people.  

1 minute ago, larapu2000 said:

You could also use a soy nut or sunflower seeds for crunch.  Are cashews bad for you?  I know they're a weird, kind of non nut "nut," but I know that they also ping the allergy radar on a lot of people.  

Pumpkin seeds are good too, but won't give that "pop" due to colour.  

I have always made regular cole slaw with red and green cabbage plus carrots.  It is a major crunch factor and a relief from the heavier fare.   I buy bags of the already shredded cabbage mix to save time and a mess.  Homemade dressing is easy with only mayo with a touch vinegar and sugar. 

When you add nuts and cranberries it begins to taste like everything else, to me.  

Edited by wings707
1 hour ago, larapu2000 said:

Cashews would be an ideal replacement for the hazelnuts, as they don't ping any food allergies. It's possible that they don't bother me because cashews have to be steamed or roasted to wipe them clean of some sort of stuff similar to poison ivy in the shells. As I noted, once the things that bother me are cooked, I'm good to go. I could also be that they aren't really normal tree nuts and don't carry whatever enzyme it is that triggers my allergy.

I forget about them as an ingredient, but yes, that would be perfect here. Now I'm definitely going to give this recipe a shot this weekend and if we like it, it'll be a side for Thanksgiving.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

Every year, my local market has a buy one get one free sale on brie. That's the basis of most of my holiday noshes, on crackers with spreads, on bread with tomatoes and just eaten while standing in front of the open fridge. I have a recipe I've never tried for a chicken dish with brie and caramelized onions that also sounds promising, maybe for New Year's.

I'm also waiting (impatiently) for those five pound boxes of clementines to go on sale for $4.99. Eating those makes me feel more virtuous about the heavier stuff and they're pretty heaped in a bowl.

• Love 3