Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
PRgal

Holiday Food Traditions!

21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Completed giving away all my cookies and since 2020 was so shitty I also included a small bottle of homemade Irish Cream to each package!

Now I am starting to plan dinner and desserts for a two person Christmas (with people who will take leftovers nearby) and I am thinking of doing a twist on my Grandmother’s Lane Cake it’s a boozy white cake with coconut and fruit soaked in bourbon that I have been suddenly craving.

Out of curiosity, what are you thinking of cooking for your main course and sides?

7 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Out of curiosity, what are you thinking of cooking for your main course and sides?

I think I have settled on roast duck (then we can have duck fried rice with the leftovers and use the duck fat for something on NYE), bitter greens salad, hassleback potato gratin and some sort of fruit chutney. 

• Like 3

On 12/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, Rose Quartz said:

Yeah, I grew up a little further away from the main PA Dutch area - off to the NE where it starts transitioning to coal country. No matter what you call them though those eggs sure are tasty!

Greetings from the Lehigh Valley! ::waves::  I hate both beets and hard boiled egg yolks, so I don’t eat them, but we call them red beet eggs here, too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Greetings from the Lehigh Valley! ::waves::  I hate both beets and hard boiled egg yolks, so I don’t eat them, but we call them red beet eggs here, too.

Hi neighbor! 👋  I'm a little bit south of you, but I was just up in Allentown last week to get my real ID.  Nice facility there on MacArthur Road.

Topic???  Uhhh....I'm having a hard time thinking of holiday specific foods.  Oh wait, mom used to always make raisin filled cookies for my dad for Christmas.  I'm not a big raisin fan so I haven't had one in years, but thinking about them now has me kinda craving one.  Maybe I'll try one if I make it up to the relatives this year.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:56 PM, Rose Quartz said:

Non-pickled beets taste like dirt to me

That’s exactly what beets taste like to me!  Whenever I tell people that, they look at me like I am weird.  Maybe I am, but at least I am not alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

That’s exactly what beets taste like to me!  Whenever I tell people that, they look at me like I am weird.  Maybe I am, but at least I am not alone.

I think beets that are boiled taste like dirt.  I think roasted and pickled are the best options for beets.  Although, grocery stores are now carrying cooked beets in the produce section pre-cooked and they are pretty good and they save you the time it takes to roast them.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

I think beets that are boiled taste like dirt.  I think roasted and pickled are the best options for beets.  Although, grocery stores are now carrying cooked beets in the produce section pre-cooked and they are pretty good and they save you the time it takes to roast them.

Yeah, boiled are the worst to me but even roasted taste off.  I tried roasted golden beets in a salad one time thinking their flavor wouldn't be as strong as red ones but no such luck.  It's a shame because beets are ridiculously healthy but I just can't handle them.

I'm in MT there is a small Amish market near me that  sells a beet juice that would be perfect for pickled eggs!! That is on my list for next shopping trip! I am not a sweet person leaning toward salt and vinegar. This is just up my alley!

• Useful 1

Another holiday that will look different. We are doing a zoom dance party with friends and using JQBX to sync our music so everyone can sort of have the same experience even though we can’t be together. 

Since most holidays revolve around food for NYE we are doing: oysters, homemade potato chips with caviar, shrimp cocktail, blue cheese wedge salad, ribeye with bearnaise sauce, roasted whole cauliflower, duck fat potatoes, and a chocolate banana cream pie for dessert. Plus, lots of champagne. 

For NY black eyed pea stew and Jimmy Red cornbread. 

• Like 5

Is the Super Bowl considered a "holiday?"  My husband is an avid football fan and we (meaning two adults plus a toddler) will still be doing wings, pizza, chips and guac.  I'm forcing a salad too, because I can't NOT have something leafy and green for dinner.  Wings, chips, guac and pizza (plus vegetables) is basically what we eat EVERY YEAR.  We've never had a real party.  It's always been just us.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 2

I'm watching at home alone this year, rather than going to my parents' house as usual (we're a two-house bubble) because I woke up feeling like I might be coming down with a cold (I'm most likely not, just run down, but just in case).  But my mom brought me chicken wings and stuffed mushrooms, and I also have vegetable crudité with dill dip and shrimp cocktail.  There's usually salami, cheese, and crackers, too, but my mom didn't bring me crackers and I don't have any here, so I'm not sure if I'll bother to cut up some salami and cheese.  I think I have plenty of food without it!

• Like 2

I had one party and decided never again -  I like to really watch the game! I made a Detroit-style deep-dish pepperoni pizza, which is currently in the oven. Oh, I also got a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. 

ETA: The pizza was really, really good. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 4

For years, every holiday season, I've made my famous pumpkin bread for everyone--friends, relatives, dry cleaners, hairstylist, etc. Everyone loves it and it's reasonably inexpensive for me.

• Like 1