Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Food Traditions!

PRgal
  • Start Topic

On 12/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, Rose Quartz said:

Yeah, I grew up a little further away from the main PA Dutch area - off to the NE where it starts transitioning to coal country. No matter what you call them though those eggs sure are tasty!

Greetings from the Lehigh Valley! ::waves::  I hate both beets and hard boiled egg yolks, so I don’t eat them, but we call them red beet eggs here, too.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Greetings from the Lehigh Valley! ::waves::  I hate both beets and hard boiled egg yolks, so I don’t eat them, but we call them red beet eggs here, too.

Hi neighbor! 👋  I'm a little bit south of you, but I was just up in Allentown last week to get my real ID.  Nice facility there on MacArthur Road.

Topic???  Uhhh....I'm having a hard time thinking of holiday specific foods.  Oh wait, mom used to always make raisin filled cookies for my dad for Christmas.  I'm not a big raisin fan so I haven't had one in years, but thinking about them now has me kinda craving one.  Maybe I'll try one if I make it up to the relatives this year.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:56 PM, Rose Quartz said:

Non-pickled beets taste like dirt to me

That’s exactly what beets taste like to me!  Whenever I tell people that, they look at me like I am weird.  Maybe I am, but at least I am not alone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

That’s exactly what beets taste like to me!  Whenever I tell people that, they look at me like I am weird.  Maybe I am, but at least I am not alone.

I think beets that are boiled taste like dirt.  I think roasted and pickled are the best options for beets.  Although, grocery stores are now carrying cooked beets in the produce section pre-cooked and they are pretty good and they save you the time it takes to roast them.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

I think beets that are boiled taste like dirt.  I think roasted and pickled are the best options for beets.  Although, grocery stores are now carrying cooked beets in the produce section pre-cooked and they are pretty good and they save you the time it takes to roast them.

Yeah, boiled are the worst to me but even roasted taste off.  I tried roasted golden beets in a salad one time thinking their flavor wouldn't be as strong as red ones but no such luck.  It's a shame because beets are ridiculously healthy but I just can't handle them.

I'm in MT there is a small Amish market near me that  sells a beet juice that would be perfect for pickled eggs!! That is on my list for next shopping trip! I am not a sweet person leaning toward salt and vinegar. This is just up my alley!

• Useful 1

Another holiday that will look different. We are doing a zoom dance party with friends and using JQBX to sync our music so everyone can sort of have the same experience even though we can’t be together. 

Since most holidays revolve around food for NYE we are doing: oysters, homemade potato chips with caviar, shrimp cocktail, blue cheese wedge salad, ribeye with bearnaise sauce, roasted whole cauliflower, duck fat potatoes, and a chocolate banana cream pie for dessert. Plus, lots of champagne. 

For NY black eyed pea stew and Jimmy Red cornbread. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Is the Super Bowl considered a "holiday?"  My husband is an avid football fan and we (meaning two adults plus a toddler) will still be doing wings, pizza, chips and guac.  I'm forcing a salad too, because I can't NOT have something leafy and green for dinner.  Wings, chips, guac and pizza (plus vegetables) is basically what we eat EVERY YEAR.  We've never had a real party.  It's always been just us.

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2

I'm watching at home alone this year, rather than going to my parents' house as usual (we're a two-house bubble) because I woke up feeling like I might be coming down with a cold (I'm most likely not, just run down, but just in case).  But my mom brought me chicken wings and stuffed mushrooms, and I also have vegetable crudité with dill dip and shrimp cocktail.  There's usually salami, cheese, and crackers, too, but my mom didn't bring me crackers and I don't have any here, so I'm not sure if I'll bother to cut up some salami and cheese.  I think I have plenty of food without it!

• Love 2

I had one party and decided never again -  I like to really watch the game! I made a Detroit-style deep-dish pepperoni pizza, which is currently in the oven. Oh, I also got a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. 

ETA: The pizza was really, really good. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 4

For years, every holiday season, I've made my famous pumpkin bread for everyone--friends, relatives, dry cleaners, hairstylist, etc. Everyone loves it and it's reasonably inexpensive for me.

• Love 1

I went to my local grocery store to pick up a few things (wanted some foods that aren't 'holiday-related') and remembered to pick up a bag of dried black-eyed peas to cook for New Year's Day (for luck) and cabbage (for prosperity).  The cabbages they had for sale were huge!  I chose the smallest one I could find and it was still as big as George Lopez's head (I kid. I like George).  It's a good thing I like cabbage because I'm going to be eating it for days. 

They also had their NY strip steaks on sale, so I picked up a pack.  I used to go out on NYE in my younger days, but now I'm very happy to have a nice steak dinner with a nice carb-y side (potato or corn) and a good dessert (I picked up some triple berry pastry 'blossoms' to bake).

• Love 2

I guess it's a holiday to some people, but what are people's plans for the Big Game menu?  My husband is a pizza and wings kind of guy.  We aren't ordering in (we always end up waiting FOREVER and we're STARVING) so I now have frozen pizzas and wings sitting in my freezer (don't worry, it' not gross supermarket frozen pizza.  I got it from the supermarket, but it's local gourmet pizzeria frozen pizza) and might make a nacho platter.  Just deciding on whether I'll go with legit tortilla chips or maybe do a pita chip nacho platter (would that still be nachos?) 

13 hours ago, PRgal said:

I guess it's a holiday to some people, but what are people's plans for the Big Game menu?  My husband is a pizza and wings kind of guy.  We aren't ordering in (we always end up waiting FOREVER and we're STARVING) so I now have frozen pizzas and wings sitting in my freezer (don't worry, it' not gross supermarket frozen pizza.  I got it from the supermarket, but it's local gourmet pizzeria frozen pizza) and might make a nacho platter.  Just deciding on whether I'll go with legit tortilla chips or maybe do a pita chip nacho platter (would that still be nachos?) 

Hell yeah, that's still nachos!  I have friends that use pork rinds for their "chip" since it's low carb.  

We are going to be in Moab, Utah, for the Superbowl so we will not be cooking for ourselves, but honestly, who fudged these schedules up so hard that the Olympics are going to be competing with the Superbowl?  I mean, I love football, but I love weird winter sports even more.  I'm pretty sure whatever sports bar we walk into is NOT going to let us change a single TV to the Olympics, lol.

(edited)

Surprised no one has posted in a while!  This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada and I have, as I've done so for past few years, pre-ordered carved turkey breasts from a local store.  I was going to order stuffing as well, but I found one at another store that looked better to me.  I'm making the remaining sides - roasted butternut squash and (purple) sweet potatoes (likely with carrots as well) and air fryer green beans.  My parents are bringing a salad and I'll also be making Greek yogurt pumpkin cornbread drop biscuits and cranberry sauce.  As for pie, yes, I DID order a small apple crumble pie, which my husband requested.  Debating whether I'll get pumpkin tarts as well.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Surprised no one has posted in a while!  This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada and I have, as I've done so for past few years, pre-ordered carved turkey breasts from a local store.  I was going to order stuffing as well, but I found one at another store that looked better to me.  I'm making the remaining sides - roasted butternut squash and (purple) sweet potatoes (likely with carrots as well) and air fryer green beans.  My parents are bringing a salad and I'll also be making Greek yogurt pumpkin cornbread drop biscuits and cranberry sauce.  As for pie, yes, I DID order a small apple crumble pie, which my husband requested.  Debating whether I'll get pumpkin tarts as well.

That all sounds delicious, PRGal! However, I am thankful our (the U.S.) Thanksgiving is not for another month and a half here because it is 85 degrees Fahrenheit at my house today and the idea of eating all that...not happening!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, isalicat said:

That all sounds delicious, PRGal! However, I am thankful our (the U.S.) Thanksgiving is not for another month and a half here because it is 85 degrees Fahrenheit at my house today and the idea of eating all that...not happening!

It was really hot here today as well, but the weather will turn this weekend and it's definitely going to feel like fall.  Thank goodness for that.

• Like 1

A vegan friend invited me for Thanksgiving.  I know it's completely rude to inquire about the menu, but I blurted out "There's going to be real turkey, right?" The answer was "yes", since the rest of the household is fully carnivorous.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, Quof said:

A vegan friend invited me for Thanksgiving.  I know it's completely rude to inquire about the menu, but I blurted out "There's going to be real turkey, right?" The answer was "yes", since the rest of the household is fully carnivorous.  

Hahaha.  I know this is different, but I have had to let people know about food intolerances and avoidances.  It’s tougher to get the message through with older relatives on my side. 

• Like 2
On 10/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, PRgal said:

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

ETA: Changed to present tense as I see it is on the 9th, Columbus Day in the US! Bon appetit!

I'm getting emails from The Fresh Market to order a Thanksgiving meal for pick-up. I did that last year and picking up the food was a disaster. You sign up for a 2-hour window, but people just showed up whenever. I waited over an hour to get the food and then another 20 minutes to check out. They're not fooling me again this year. I ordered a quarter bone-in ham from Honey Baked Ham. For some reason I ordered a green bean casserole from Omaha Steaks, so I'll serve that along with some prepared scalloped potatoes. I think I'll get some Prosecco to wash it down.

• Like 2
On 11/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm getting emails from The Fresh Market to order a Thanksgiving meal for pick-up. I did that last year and picking up the food was a disaster. You sign up for a 2-hour window, but people just showed up whenever. I waited over an hour to get the food and then another 20 minutes to check out. They're not fooling me again this year. I ordered a quarter bone-in ham from Honey Baked Ham. For some reason I ordered a green bean casserole from Omaha Steaks, so I'll serve that along with some prepared scalloped potatoes. I think I'll get some Prosecco to wash it down.

We thought about trying something like this from one of our local stores, but it was too expensive. We also thought about a Bob Evans dinner, but changed our minds, although their pot roast is still good. 

I've never been one for cranberry sauce, but I might try making some tonight. Also macaroni and cheese from scratch.

I got cranberries for an orange and cranberry bread that I tried years ago, but it's a nourishing meals recipe, which means things like coconut flour, and it needs six eggs. I think I'll do deviled eggs, instead, since I know my dad will eat those. 

I'm not really in the mood to cook, I'm in the depression hole as usual, so we bought apple and pumpkin pies, and will have custard with the apple pie. Or ice cream. 

I'm making spinach artichoke dip, which I tried once, five years ago. I like mostly raw spinach dip (with cooked spinach), but I'm the only one eating it, and that goes off quickly. 

Dad's home, so I'm off to try to get this house together. 

• Like 2

My youngest stepdaughter said she had to borrow eggs from a neighbor because her chickens were molting and not laying eggs, she didn't realize they were out, to make scalloped pineapple. I'd never heard of it but looking at a recipe from the amount of sugar in it sounds more like a dessert than a side dish.

My oldest stepdaughter who lives in NOLA made shrimp stuffed mirlitons as part of their Thanksgiving dinner. That I've heard of from cooking shows and would love to try it. Mirlitons are seasonal. She said they were 6 for $1 at Winn-Dixie this week.

• Like 3

I make stuffing with Ritz crackers instead of bread. It’s a family traditition. It was popularized in the 50s, and my mother used to make it. It gives a great flavor. I use sautéed mushrooms, onions and celery and traditional herbs: rosemary, thyme, sage. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I make stuffing with Ritz crackers instead of bread. It’s a family traditition. It was popularized in the 50s, and my mother used to make it. It gives a great flavor. I use sautéed mushrooms, onions and celery and traditional herbs: rosemary, thyme, sage. 

I don't really care for stuffing/dressing (the bread dressing my mom makes for Christmas, her family's traditional recipe, does nothing for me so I skip it, and the cornbread dressing she makes for Thanksgiving, my dad's family recipe, I flat-out dislike so I obviously don't eat that one either), but I would absolutely sample yours if in front of me -- I haven't had a Ritz cracker in eons, but I can call up that buttery flavor instantly and now I'm wishing I had a Ritz or ten!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I don't really care for stuffing/dressing (the bread dressing my mom makes for Christmas, her family's traditional recipe, does nothing for me so I skip it, and the cornbread dressing she makes for Thanksgiving, my dad's family recipe, I flat-out dislike so I obviously don't eat that one either), but I would absolutely sample yours if in front of me -- I haven't had a Ritz cracker in eons, but I can call up that buttery flavor instantly and now I'm wishing I had a Ritz or ten!

Ritz crackers are like, well, crack.  They're great with cream cheese, or peanut butter, or cheddar cheese.  Or plain. 

• Like 3

Okay, it's not really a holiday, but it might as well be one...what's everyone serving for the Big Game on Sunday?  We're ordering pizza from a neighbourhood joint.  The husband and I like very different toppings (I like mine with lots of vegetables) and a small bag of tortilla chips with guacamole and pico.  It's just going to be the three of us.  We typically also get wings, but this year, this year, there'll be a lot of eating in the days before and after - Lunar New Year's Eve is Friday and then Valentine's Day is the following Wednesday.  There's also pancake Tuesday on the 13th and we're going to be going to our annual Spin of Prosperity Dinner (a Lunar New Year tradition my parents started 35+ years ago) next week too!

• Like 3