Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Food Traditions!

PRgal
  • Start Topic

Our holiday/special-day tradition is a side we call "cheesy potatoes". It involves a bag (or bags) of blotted dry hash brown potatoes layered with monterey jack cheese and salt and smothered in heavy cream. Baked to a browned top perfection. It probably also involves arteries slamming shut.

Mix in some cream of chicken soup, some sour cream and top with buttered crushed cornflakes and you've got good old-fashioned 'funeral potatoes'.  Yum!  (It's my once a year artery-clogging splurge.  Once a year at Christmas, that is--not for an actual funeral.)

Edited by BooksRule
Clarification
  • Love 1

I just got the new Trader Joe's catalog and it has a wreath of cinnamon buns you let rise for six hours and then bake.  I think that would be perfect for tee-vee and taking down the decorations.

On 11/30/2016 at 8:58 AM, Qoass said:

I just got the new Trader Joe's catalog and it has a wreath of cinnamon buns you let rise for six hours and then bake.  I think that would be perfect for tee-vee and taking down the decorations.

I sampled it at TJ's on Saturday, and it was really good! 

• Love 1
On 11/29/2016 at 6:53 PM, auntlada said:

I've never seen a circular big sandwich before. (If anyone else does not have Publix near them and doesn't know what ZIP code to put in to find one to see the ringleader, No. 63 will get you one in Sarasota.)

I've noticed more of their locations now offer the Ringleader and it's smaller cousin the Meal Wheel, and lots of other prepared deli-platters, in their Deli cases around the holidays and sports events. I usually order just to be sure but grabbed one out of the case for our T-Day. They had mini-croissants with horseradish london broil and some beautiful cheese platters with chunks of brie and fruit and lots of other yummy looking things. I love Publix.

But there are two semi-distant TraderJoes that could become convenient for the holidays. Two, off and on, weeks with the fam and would be nice to ease kitchen frustrations. And my sister knows her way around a Trader Joe's. 

I have been getting inundated with food catalogs/ads lately  - Swiss Colony, Figi's, Omaha Steak, etc. 

Are there any mail order food places that people have been impressed with?  Most seem terribly overpriced.  

I remember one year, many years ago, my brother and I begged Mom to order one of those meat/cheese trays from one of the catalogs, Swiss Colony maybe.  They happened to have pop up stores back then and she took us to one - risky on her part - and we were crushed at how tiny the items were.  But I have to admit, every year when I get those catalogs I think of how much fun it would be to try all those ridiculously expensive little foods.  Now if someone sent me one, I would happily gobble it down.

I have one cousin who swears by Honeybaked Ham, he thinks they are great (and he is a tightwad).  I think I can just as good at Costco.  If the weather is nice before Christmas or Easter, I will drive down to Shipshewana to get an Amish ham.  Now those are amazing.

I like Harry & David.  I've been known to order a box of their pears for myself.  Somehow the Royal Riviera pears are so much better than any other pear I have been able to get my hands on.

I usually order a gift basket or a tower that has a mix of fruit, cheese, candy, maybe some cured meat item...it may not be a bargain price-wise, but the quality of the goods has always been first rate.

• Love 1

So I'm going through the circulars and making my grocery list and this week crown pork roast and beef stew meat are both $3,99 a pound.  Given all the fuss about crown roasts, this struck me as interesting.

Personally I'd rather eat beef stew.

• Love 1
On 12/15/2016 at 6:28 AM, Qoass said:

So I'm going through the circulars and making my grocery list and this week crown pork roast and beef stew meat are both $3,99 a pound.  Given all the fuss about crown roasts, this struck me as interesting.

Personally I'd rather eat beef stew.

Well because a crown pork roast is a lot if bones the end prices to making a beef stew to feed a group of people and a crown roast big enough enough to be a crown roast are going to be are going to be quite different.

We are only five for Christmas that year with one vegetarian so the two main dishes will be Osso Bucco and mushroom risotto with the mushroom risotto doing double duty as a side fir the meat eaters and a main for the vegetarian. Still trying to settle on two or three more sides to round out the meal for all. 

On 2016-12-17 at 8:57 PM, biakbiak said:

Well because a crown pork roast is a lot if bones the end prices to making a beef stew to feed a group of people and a crown roast big enough enough to be a crown roast are going to be are going to be quite different.

We are only five for Christmas that year with one vegetarian so the two main dishes will be Osso Bucco and mushroom risotto with the mushroom risotto doing double duty as a side fir the meat eaters and a main for the vegetarian. Still trying to settle on two or three more sides to round out the meal for all. 

Go a little bit middle eastern with tabouli (parsley salad).  Tabouli should be higher on the parsley (much higher!!) than on cracked wheat (or quinoa). 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 1:45 PM, Mittengirl said:

I have been getting inundated with food catalogs/ads lately  - Swiss Colony, Figi's, Omaha Steak, etc. 

Are there any mail order food places that people have been impressed with?  Most seem terribly overpriced.  

I won't order from Swiss Colony any more.  One year, my in-laws moved several states away.  For my mother-in-law's Birthday, I ordered from Swiss Colony. It was fall, and I sent a box of fall-colored petit-fours.  Very pretty, and exactly the kind of thing she'd like, to serve to the ladies she played cards with.   I never heard from her about the gift.  I found out later that the gift she received was a large tin of peanuts! (she doesn't eat nuts)  I called and complained, and Swiss Colony  told me that, according to the small print on the catalog, they reserve the right to substitute items of the item ordered was unavailable.  The person I talked to said that since the tin of nuts was a higher-priced item than the petit-fours, I should be happy.  They did eventually agree to refund my money, but it didn't make up for sending a crappy gift.  Anyway, since their policy is that they can send something other than what you order, and don't have to notify you,  I won't do business with them.

• Love 6

We do tamales for Christmas Eve. I just bought a dozen at our local Fiesta grocery store. They are pork and handmade....very generous with the filling and not too much masa. I don't like a tamale that the masa overtakes the filling. They are so yummy. I forgot to get Mexican chocolate for hot chocolate and have no intention of going back tomorrow. I am DONE with any type of shopping or errands!

• Love 1
On 12/9/2016 at 5:54 PM, DeLurker said:

I like Harry & David.  I've been known to order a box of their pears for myself.  Somehow the Royal Riviera pears are so much better than any other pear I have been able to get my hands on.

I usually order a gift basket or a tower that has a mix of fruit, cheese, candy, maybe some cured meat item...it may not be a bargain price-wise, but the quality of the goods has always been first rate.

I like making my own baskets of cheese, cured meats and pickled stuff for my dad. I will be off to the Italian shop later today to get the stuff. Talk about a kid in a candy store...

and of course my dad will have already been to the Polish store and picked me up some Polish and Hungarian sausages and pastries for me. 

• Love 1

I made a 12.5 lb prime rib for Christmas dinner this year and it turned out very nicely!

I'd made smaller ones a couple of times before, but never one this big.  Despite the smoke alarm going off a couple of times for the final crust searing, it went well even though I was riddled with nerves about all the things that could go wrong.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I made a 12.5 lb prime rib for Christmas dinner this year and it turned out very nicely!

I'd made smaller ones a couple of times before, but never one this big.  Despite the smoke alarm going off a couple of times for the final crust searing, it went well even though I was riddled with nerves about all the things that could go wrong.

Wow, that's quite an investment!  I would have been terrified of ruining it.

Charleston's Olde Colony Bakery has become a holiday tradition. I brought home a package of their Benne Wafers after a Charleston visit a number of years ago and now require their treats every Christmas.

A tin of their Benne Wafers is my go-to for easy gift giving year round though every item I've tried has been good.

My faves are the Bennes, the Gingers, and the Pecan Pinches.

Edited by NewDigs
Fixed link
10 hours ago, NewDigs said:

Charleston's Olde Colony Bakery has become a holiday tradition. I brought home a package of their Benne Wafers after a Charleston visit a number of years ago and now require their treats every Christmas.

A tin of their Benne Wafers is my go-to for easy gift giving year round though every item I've tried has been good.

My faves are the Bennes, the Gingers, and the Pecan Pinches.

FYI, that link is incorrect. Here's a link to the bakery, which immediately made me hungry because I'm a sucker for anything with sesame seeds. 

1 hour ago, coppersin said:

FYI, that link is incorrect. Here's a link to the bakery, which immediately made me hungry because I'm a sucker for anything with sesame seeds. 

Sorry and, Thanks!  

It will be even easier to fix my link because I still have it open in my browser. lol

Yum.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

I plan to have my traditional New Year's Day food today.  I just put a pot of black-eyed peas on to cook (soften chopped onion along with some leftover Christmas ham bits, add some chopped garlic.  Add the peas with enough water to cover and cook until peas are tender).  I'll also fix some skillet cabbage for dinner (just rough chopped cabbage cooked in a large skillet with a little water and ham for flavoring).  I wanted to make some colcannon, but I'm back on my diet today so that will have to wait a while (the potatoes aren't bad for me, but I can't trust myself around milk/cream and butter).  I'll save that for St. Patrick's Day.  I might even make some rice to have with my BE peas, since dinner will be pretty low-calorie.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

Our tradition for Christmas is goose! It's usually hard (ish) to find it in America, cause... turkeys, everywhere lol

Also, no holiday in a former USSR household happens without olivieh salad. If you've tried it you know that to some it sounds rather horrible, but tastes like food of gods lol

If you haven't... best way to describe it is potato salad on steroids lol

Oh my god, I haven't thought of that in years!  My Lithuanian grandmother used to make that olivieh stuff when I was a kid.  Just the sight of it made my stomach churn.  I think I tasted it once or twice and hated it.  Now bacon buns are a different story.

It's the Lunar New Year, and PRguy and I kicked it off this past Friday with our annual Chinese New Year's Eve dinner for two - delivery Chinese from a neighbouring restaurant (because we didn't want to deal with the crowds) consisting of a small portion of noodles, steamed dumplings and stir-fried rice cakes.  The following day, which is technically supposed to be vegetarian (but no one EVER does that, save for the elderly), was my family's annual "Spin of Prosperity" dinner at the CNTower's revolving restaurant (we've done this since the mid-80s).  This coming Friday is the seventh day of the New Year, aka "Human Day" (I don't know who came up with all of this, but each day of the first week is supposed to be a celebration of some sort of living thing) and the tradition is to eat long noodles, according to my mom. 

• Love 4
On 1/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, DeLurker said:

On 1/18/2017 at 2:45 PM, Mittengirl said:

Now bacon buns are a different story.

@Mittengirl - I need to hear this story please.

My grandmother was the only kid in her family born in the U.S, and was the youngest by several years, but of course she was raised on Lithuanian food.  Over the years she had to pick up the mantle of keeping the family food traditions alive. Every holiday or family occasion she busted out the Lithuanian recipes and went to town.  Borscht, beet and herring salad, pickled herring, kielbasa and sauerkraut, kugelis, pierogies and other atrocities I have banished from my memory.  As a kid I didn't like any of that stuff - I could eat a little kielbasa, sans sauerkraut, and kugelis (which I now love), but bacon buns were the saving grace.  Bacon buns are small buns stuffed with chopped bacon and ham.  Those I could eat by the dozen.  I would have starved at family events if not for those little bites of heaven - and if I was really lucky a Chicago relative would stop at the bakery and bring Krustai, also known as angel wings or bow ties  - little deep fried strips of dough sprinkled with powdered sugar.  

My mother is of German descent and I don't like the food of her people either.  Somehow I wound up with Italian tastebuds.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

My grandmother was the only kid in her family born in the U.S, and was the youngest by several years, but of course she was raised on Lithuanian food.  Over the years she had to pick up the mantle of keeping the family food traditions alive. Every holiday or family occasion she busted out the Lithuanian recipes and went to town.  Borscht, beet and herring salad, pickled herring, kielbasa and sauerkraut, kugelis, pierogies and other atrocities I have banished from my memory.  As a kid I didn't like any of that stuff - I could eat a little kielbasa, sans sauerkraut, and kugelis (which I now love), but bacon buns were the saving grace.  Bacon buns are small buns stuffed with chopped bacon and ham.  Those I could eat by the dozen.  I would have starved at family events if not for those little bites of heaven - and if I was really lucky a Chicago relative would stop at the bakery and bring Krustai, also known as angel wings or bow ties  - little deep fried strips of dough sprinkled with powdered sugar.  

My mother is of German descent and I don't like the food of her people either.  Somehow I wound up with Italian tastebuds.

LOL on the "Italian tastebuds."  Because I have a bit of that too.  And Lebanese, Greek and Israeli.

Edited by PRgal

@Mittengirl - Thanks for the background on the bacon buns and sharing a bit of your family history!  After you mentioned bacon buns I had to go look it up to find out what it was - they sound glorious.  I've been trying to work up my nerve to try making them, but I've never made dough before so that part intimidates me.  And Krustai would be a big hit in my household too.

The Super Bowl is a Holiday in my house no matter who is playing, even if it's the hated Patriots, we have people over and do finger foods. Two of the guests are vegetarian so I usually makenearly everything vegetarian except I include chicken wings. So for tomorrow I am making: 

Dips: pan-fried onion dip, green goddess dip, and white bean and red pepper dip with home made pita chips, potato chips, crudites.

Jalapeño Stuffed mushrooms, pickled beat deviled eggs, gougeres and sweet and sour chicken wings

Chocolate chip cookies baked to order with homemade vanilla ice cream.

• Love 3

I guess this can be loosely considered a food (they're edible), but they are definitely holiday-related, so here goes:  I bought my first bag (actually two bags--on sale at Walgreen's) of Sour Patch Jelly Beans.  I really love those things and can eat them until I go into a sugar coma.  You can only get them at Easter time, though (but they do freeze okay, so I'm hoping to find some bags on sale after Easter).  They were always a little sweeter than the usual Sour Patch candies, but still had a pretty good sour coating.  They weren't produced for several years (the company had problems with the factory that producing them or something) and when they came back out they were a little different--sweeter and without a lot of sour.  There is still enough sour/sweet to make me happy, though.  

• Love 1

@ariel asked in the dinner thread about Easter menus.

We are having a few people over and the menu is apps of pimento cheese potato bites and deviled eggs, a yogurt marinated lamb with some mid Eastern spices, a pea spaetzle salad with tomato and mint and scalloped potatoes. I am having a six year old help with dessert so she chose chocolate bread pudding.

And lots and lots of wine.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

And lots and lots of wine.

I'm still trying to figure out my menu, but  lots of wine will be included too. :)

ETA - what wine are you serving?  I can always use some new suggestions.

Edited by ariel

I'm doing Easter brunch.  Making that tater tot sausage casserole but subbing O'Brien potatoes for the tater tots; a fruit salad; orange juice with sparkling water mixed in to make it a little bubbly, and cardamom coffee cake.  Happy Easter everyone!

• Love 1

My family won't eat anything except bacon,eggs and potatoes for breakfast, which my husband makes. I wish I could make an Easter Brunch. Your menu sounds lovely!

I am on a hosting strike this year so my parents are hosting Easter lunch this year. They moved here a year ago after being 5 hours away so they keep the grandkids on Saturday nights and do the whole church thing. I have to go over to their place Sunday and heat up/cook all the food mom made for the meal (I am contributing some of my own dishes as well) while they are at church. A small price to pay for them spending so much time with my kids but really I should have just hosted :)

• Love 3
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

cardamom coffee cake.  Happy Easter everyone!

Cardamom coffee cake sounds so good.  I just got some cardamom from Penzeys.  When you get the chance, can you post that recipe?

• Love 2

Cardamom Crumb Coffee Cake

For the topping:

1/2 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 Tbsps salted butter, softened, plus extra for pan

Butter a 9” cake pan with removable sides. Set aside.

Make the topping: In a medium-size bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add the softened butter and use your fingertips to work it into a crumbly topping. Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the cake.

If you don't have buttermilk on hand, simply add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit 10 minutes before proceeding with the recipe. You can also substitute an equal amount of plain yogurt.

For the cake:

10 Tbsps unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar

1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsps baking powder

3/4 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1-1/2 tsps ground cardamom

1 cup buttermilk (see "Note")

Preheat your oven to 350°. Using a standing or handheld mixer, beat the butter with the sugars in a large bowl until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the egg and egg yolk and beat to combine. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cardamom. Add these dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk. Stir, scraping down the sides occasionally, until evenly combined. Pour into the prepared cake pan.

Sprinkle the topping over the cake. Bake until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.

Set on a cooling rack for 20 minutes. Use a thin knife to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Carefully remove the sides, transfer the cake to a platter, and serve warm or at room temperature.  8-10 servings

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2

Here's the recipe, forumfish.  I've never made it before & am breaking two cardinal rules: First--I'm serving it to company w/o ever having made it before and secondly, I'm subbing O'Brien potatoes cause I don't like tater tots.  I bought some mini croissants and cold cuts today & will put out just in case this doesn't turn out well with the substitution.  My sister made it w/ the tater tots and everyone loved it :>)

Tater Tot Sausage Breakfast Casserole

2 lbs breakfast sausage

1 (30-32 oz) bag frozen tater tots

1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

8 eggs

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

2 cups milk

1)Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. 
2) In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain fat. 
3) In a large bowl, toss together tater tots, cooked sausage, cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan. 
4) Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and milk. Pour over tater tot mixture. 
5) Bake uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes, or until eggs are set. 
6) Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!  Serves 8-10.

• Love 2

I will have to save that recipe, too. Once a year, A club I'm in has a brunch to honor someone who volunteers in the community a lot. Ine of our past honorees cannot have gluten. I usually make the casserole she can have.

• Love 1

My family does an Easter brunch, featuring Pizza Gaina (sp) made from my paternal grandmother's recipe and pizza dolce (ricotta pie) based on my maternal grandmother's recipe. The rest will be antipasto featuring prosciutto and fresh fruit (strawberries and pineapple).

• Love 1
On 4/13/2017 at 6:38 PM, ariel said:

I'm still trying to figure out my menu, but  lots of wine will be included too. :)

ETA - what wine are you serving?  I can always use some new suggestions.

For biakbiak's menu, there are a lot of new rose wines on the market that could pair nicely (no, not the Sutter Home White Zinfandel). I picked up a White Merlot that's supposed to be dry. There is also a rose Pinot that I liked. Worth investigating.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ennui said:

For biakbiak's menu, there are a lot of new rose wines on the market that could pair nicely (no, not the Sutter Home White Zinfandel).

LOL, my mother & MIL are huge fans of the White Zin.  It's not what I like.  Thanks for  your good  wine subjections. :)

I was at a winery about a year ago when I learned about this whole new class of rosé wines. Since they are somewhat seasonal (spring / summer), I'm trying to spread the word. 

• Love 1

Gimme all the Easter candy! Cadbury Creme Eggs and Chocolate Creme Eggs, Peeps, Cadbury mini-eggs, Reese's eggs YUM! Even after Cadbury changed the recipe I'll still eat them. So this year, a few weeks before Easter I pop over to Target. Nary a 4pk of Creme Eggs to be found. I dug around and managed to grab one box. Popped over to Target on Monday and found a single box that someone may have hidden and only a couple packages of Peeps. I had to swing by Gelson's to pick up something for my mom and there was their clearance display, full of Creme eggs for the same price as Target. I'll have to remember that for next year.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Gimme all the Easter candy! 

Ohhh...theredhead77, your post is making my tummola ache. Are you planning to eat all those candies? I got carried away when I discovered how delicious the Ghirardelli chocolate w/ almond "eggs" were.  Maybe I should go back to Wegman's and see if they have a cart with a bunch of Ghirardelli "eggs" packages half price (hah! I'm sure they've been scooped up by now).

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ohhh...theredhead77, your post is making my tummola ache. Are you planning to eat all those candies?

Yes! But not all at once! I have 7 creme eggs, 8 chocolate creme eggs, a 6pk of Reese's eggs and a bag and a half of mini eggs. That will last me well into the summer.

• Love 1

Have you noticed they now sell mini-eggs in resealable bags?  Who's not finishing their mini eggs??????  That's rather like Ben & Jerry telling you how many servings there are in a carton. Duh, one.

• Love 5