Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Leading From The Heart

• Start Topic

Bobby's penny loafers are pretty worn for someone who doesn't use them for walking.

Tee hee! Cube poo!

Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned from Agatha Christie, it's always check the shoes of the person in the wheelchair before writing them off as a suspect.

• Love 3

My best friend growing up used a wheelchair and it wasn't really a Big Thing at all, so I guess it must be different if you get injured later in life versus being born that way? Because my friend was not the least bit self-pitying or resentful like Bobby is in this episode. Everything about this episode bugs me and I'm glad you guys were on the same wavelength. I know people in real life do actually act like that, but I think the writers did real disabled people a disservice by not having anybody call the Walshes out on their condescension. This episode is so tone-deaf it's painful.

Aww..I'm disappointed to learn that surfer dude was not an uncredited Anthony Kiedis.
That guy appeared on an episode of Roseanne as a flower delivery guy and my husband and I argued for HOURS (not really) if it was Anthony Kiedis or not (husband thought yes, I thought no).
  • Love 1

I cannot believe that weirdly racist driving test scene! I have nothing to add, other than my continued disbelief at how completely unaware I was of all this stuff when I was 16 and watching this.

Also, Team Tara on the vest/monocle thing. Teenagers wear weird things around their neck, that seems as reasonable as any.

Also, Team Tara on the vest/monocle thing. Teenagers wear weird things around their neck, that seems as reasonable as any.

Remember harmony balls?! I had a silver one that was a bas-relief Earth. Oh, the '90s.

I also didn't think it was a monocle until Sarah said that; I thought it was a mini-magnifying glass. I don't know which is a dumber idea?

• Love 1

Aww..I'm disappointed to learn that surfer dude was not an uncredited Anthony Kiedis.

My friends and I legit call that guy Fake Anthony Kiedis. He shows up a few more times on a future season of 90210, which is something delightful to look forward to. 

I will cosign Brinda's outfit choice, and I also think it's a magnifying glass, maybe to indicate her super sleuthing/spying this episode. While I didn't wear one of those, I did own and wear several vest-intensive outfits during this era--sometimes with formal shorts. 

Oh my God -- I had forgotten about harmony balls, but I also had at *least* one and it was also a bas-relief earth. (I've gathered from things you'd said that, at least in your later teen years, we were in the roughly the same area of the country... I'm positive I bought it at a festival of some kind.)

I also thought it looked a bit like a magnifying glass -- it doesn't make my top ten of Mortifying Things We Wore in the 90s.

Count me in for having a harmony ball that my sister got me from a new age store (along with a medicine bag with healing rocks inside). Although I called it a fairy ball--not sure which name is worse.

I'm pretty sure Bo Duke used that, "If you weren't my cousin" line to Daisy in an early episode of Dukes of Hazzard too. So gross.

• Love 1

Time was very kind to Gabriel Macht.

Also, wow, Bobby just wasn't that good-looking. He had pretty blond hair and that was about it. Kind of funny, because his characterization is that he was the beautiful golden boy before his accident. Didn't really bring the beauty there.

David, I don't want to encourage you (heh), but you were cracking me up in this podcast.

I remember this episode, I remember Cousin Bobby and the whole Kelly stuff, but I totally forgot about that terrible "be like a snake" driving test bullshit. Wow. *facepalm* 90210 writers... just.... no.

I unabashedly loved this episode.  I think it was one of my favorites from season 2.

I like Kelly and the unfair assumptions about her "sluttiness" but flirting with him.  And Bobby was pretty cute.  And then he grew up to be drug dealer a few seasons later.  Talk about a change in "type."  Although at that point she was all Coke Addled Kelly, so I suppose it works in a weird kind of way.

The episode itself was heavy handed, but still I liked it.  Kelly riding like a ralph lauren commercial- and Brenden flopping about-  was great.  And hey- Emily Valentine!- you're back.  I wonder if she and Brandon are already sleeping together.

I forgot about the whole driver's test subplot.  Thanks, recap, for making me relive the horror.  ;)

Great podcast!

I also assumed "that guy" was Anthony Kiedis. Turns out Anthony is several years older though he himself had a few bit roles in the 70s, 80s and 90s according to IMDB. They still look enough alike and apparently "that guy" is or was a musician too.

Hehe. I spent a large portion of the 1990s thinking that guy was Anthony Kiedis! He was in Point Break too, right?

I just fact checked myself! Anthony Kiedis is the guy in Point Break! I officially can't tell them apart.

Sort of like how I used to think Julia Stiles and Erika Christiansen were the same person. I legit thought Julia Stiles was in Traffic for a looooong time. They don't look so much alike now, but as kids...whole different story.

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 1

Watching the early seasons along with the podcast I'd kind of forgotten that Kelly used to be awesome. So much of my impression is of the prissy little old lady she grew into during the later college and post grad episodes. My memory of Kelly after about S5 or S6 was that she was literally always complaining about something someone was doing that was none of her fucking business anyway. In the early episodes she's still fun and spunky. I wish that Kelly had stuck around.

• Love 1