Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

16 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Loved the homes in Hot Springs, and the prices were amazing.  The first two were in surprisingly good shape, and the third house was in pretty good shape except for the basement.  And I did like couple a lot.  They just seemed like a nice, normal couple.  My favorite was the 1939 Tudor, and I was happy they selected it, and got a great price.  BUT, IMHO, the husband's modern art just doesn't fit, ymmv.  

I was complaining (to myself) that we didn't see enough of the Painted Lady, but they ended up buying it, and we saw more of at after the moved in.

Totally agree about husband's art.  Putting that POC over the mantle is just as bad as -- well, I don't know what it's as bad as, but it's bad.  Don't know if it's a hobby or his business (I never watch the intros) -- but if he wants to sell, his art needs to be in the right setting, and that's not the right setting. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I was complaining (to myself) that we didn't see enough of the Painted Lady, but they ended up buying it, and we saw more of at after the moved in.

Totally agree about husband's art.  Putting that POC over the mantle is just as bad as -- well, I don't know what it's as bad as, but it's bad.  Don't know if it's a hobby or his business (I never watch the intros) -- but if he wants to sell, his art needs to be in the right setting, and that's not the right setting. 

They didn't by the Painted Lady, they bought the 1939 Tudor.

On 7/15/2016 at 1:28 PM, Albino said:

These two guys were great!  I've never seen Big Brother so I had no idea who Marcellus was...what a great sense of humor.

And I learned that "conch" was pronounced "conk" ... not that I've ever had the opportunity to actually say the word.  

I love the mini history lessons that come with every episode too. And the Then & Now pics.

@Albino, I think almost everyone I've met has pronounced it conch, so you're not alone.  I've tried to tell people the correct pronounciation (I grew up eating it), but they don't believe me!

Re the couple with five kids and the husband has an exotic car collection: did they say what they do? They had a $3M budget. The husband seemed like a shmuck and his wife didn't want to be a nag. But how did they get all that money?

• Love 1

I've never understood this and always mean to mention it here.  I grew up in a crumbling, vermin infested row house in the inner city- does that mean I"m looking for the same thing when I buy a house?! So bizarre.  I hate when they say their parents had a ranch, colonial, all one story, two levels, etc so that's what they need to have.  Why does that matter?  I guess I don't have any attachment to my family home, and maybe when one does, you try and re-create the warm memories?  

It does depend on the house you grew up in.  I love my parents' house, and when I was house hunting, I wanted something similar.  Unfortunately the house they bought in 1963 for $8000 now costs between 20 and 30 times that depending on location, so I settled for the closest approximation I could get for what I had to spend.  Someday, though . . .

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, biakbiak said:

Yes and yes. They were going to turn the current kitchen space into their master bedroom.

The house with the modern kitchen, stupid claw foot tub and extremely awkward layout is still for sale and has had a price reduction.

Other than the ultra-modern kitchen and the glass shower, I love that one.  I'd put up with a hell of a lot of awkwardness to have that claw foot tub.

Just now, proserpina65 said:

Other than the ultra-modern kitchen and the glass shower, I love that one.  I'd put up with a hell of a lot of awkwardness to have that claw foot tub.

Really it's not even a full sized tub?

Just now, biakbiak said:

Really it's not even a full sized tub?

Well, I didn't see the episode and couldn't tell from the picture on the website.  If it's some weird mini-tub, that's different.  Still liked most of the rest of the house, though.

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

I would gut the bathroom and combine it with the huge closet but that still wouldnt make up for the awkward upstairs layout. And you can't even see the clawfoot tub.

On 7/16/2016 at 4:33 PM, biakbiak said:

They didn't by the Painted Lady, they bought the 1939 Tudor.

Oops.  I was confused.   I thought the interiors looked similar. 

Tonight's episode in Seattle (a new one?) was interesting, for the look at the interior of a dome house, with curved walls, and small windows everywhere.  It was located on a river with boat access to Elliott Bay, so it also had a water view, or sorts

He's an engineer and wanted a room where he could build robots, and she wanted a craft room.  He loved the dome house for its uniqueness, and she wanted a Craftsman.  They looked at a "real" Craftsman and a new build with a Craftsman look, and bought the older one.  What I liked best about the house they chose was the large deck on the back, which looked onto a wooded area.

Nice couple, very un-like a couple in an earlier rerun -- a couple who talked like they'd been given a script and no time to prepare.  Haven't heard acting that bad since high school.

• Love 1

I liked the Seattle couple, but that dome home looked too much like a giant football helmet. I didn't agree with the husband's comments about the houses looking like they were built in a factory and thrown together. Those craftsman houses don't look cookie cutter. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I liked the Seattle couple, but that dome home looked too much like a giant football helmet. I didn't agree with the husband's comments about the houses looking like they were built in a factory and thrown together. Those craftsman houses don't look cookie cutter. 

The newer one did (look factory built), I thought, maybe because it was so obviously new.  And the scale wasn't quite right, something about the height-width ratio.  It looked wrong.  Pretty house though.  Maybe it was the sharp lines and the new paint/roof/etc. that made it look like a copy.

I thought both Craftsman homes looked like some modern developer's attempt to call a generic home something different.  Was the first one actually an older home?  It didn't look like any traditional Craftsman I'm used to.

I wouldn't live in one of those dome homes, but they're interesting to virtually tour, so it was interesting to include that - even though it was even more obvious a decoy than normal on this show.

In a five-bedroom home, she declared that if he got the basement bedroom as his robot room, she wouldn't have a room for her crafts.  Um, there are two of you, and five bedrooms; if one is the master and one is his office, that leaves three for you to choose from for your office.  That still leaves one for a guest room and one a kid's room down the road.  What is the problem?

• Love 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

In a five-bedroom home, she declared that if he got the basement bedroom as his robot room, she wouldn't have a room for her crafts.  Um, there are two of you, and five bedrooms; if one is the master and one is his office, that leaves three for you to choose from for your office.  That still leaves one for a guest room and one a kid's room down the road.  What is the problem?

I'm so sick of people treating "crafting" like it was some sort of higher calling deserving of an entire room with a view.  You're making a scrapbook FFS.  I made one when I was like 10 and did most of my work on my bedroom floor with scissors and white paste (which also served as an occasional snack). It's not that hard and certainly not that creative these days, since the stickers, ribbons, glitter and type are pre-made. 

Apologies to anyone on the board who enjoys crafting. I just don't think you need a special dedicated room for it. 

Edited by Albino
  • Love 17
(edited)

OMG! I have been to parties at the Kenmore geodesic dome house, one of my friends from camp lived there!

Both of the Craftsman-style were new and none of the houses were in Seattle!

To be fair to the wife her crafts were sewing and painting not scrapebooking. I sometimes laugh because my grandparents house that was a textbook starter home built in 1950 they were able to modify it as it was being built to include a sewing room for her and a sauna for him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Albino said:

I'm so sick of people treating "crafting" like it was some sort of higher calling deserving of an entire room with a view.  You're making a scrapbook FFS.  I made one when I was like 10 and did most of my work on my bedroom floor with scissors and white paste (which also served as an occasional snack). It's not that hard and certainly not that creative these days, since the stickers, ribbons, glitter and type are pre-made. 

Apologies to anyone on the board who enjoys crafting. I just don't think you need a special dedicated room for it. 

Hysterical! I never got the crafting room thing either. Isn't that what the dinning room table is for? I'm sure it's a nice perk if you have a dedicated craft room but I think you could also just use your dinning or kitchen table. I guess if a guy can have a man cave a woman can have a craft room.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The newer one did (look factory built), I thought, maybe because it was so obviously new.  And the scale wasn't quite right, something about the height-width ratio.  It looked wrong.  Pretty house though.  Maybe it was the sharp lines and the new paint/roof/etc. that made it look like a copy.

Yeah, the new one did look like it came off the Craftsman house production line. I thought they were going to go with that one. 

I'd never live in a dome home but it's fun to look at them. The back yard was gorgeous. I kind of dug the mosaic on the floor!

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

OMG! I have been to parties at the Kenmore geodesic dome house, one of my friends from camp lived there!

Both of the Craftsman-style were new and none of the houses were in Seattle!

To be fair to the wife her crafts were sewing and painting not scrapebooking. I sometimes laugh because my grandparents house that was a textbook starter home built in 1950 they were able to modify it as it was being built to include a sewing room for her and a sauna for him.

My dad's parents raised him and my uncle in a small Philly row house. My grandmother sewed all her life - made many of her clothes, made some clothes for me and my brother (she made my middle school graduation dress and all our Halloween costumes), etc. She kept her sewing machine and patterns and material in the basement and sewed there. (To be fair, they moved into a bigger house in their retirement when it was just the two of them and she had a whole sewing room there - but there was more than enough room for it.)

• Love 3

I don't begrudge anyone a craft room or even a man cave what drives me crazy is the way they act like any house that doesn't offer them this is second rate.  They're the opposite side of the coin to the tiny house hunters but instead of thinking life will be perfect with 200 sq feet of house they think life isn't worth living if they don't have at least 4,000 sq feet.  Even when it's just the two of them.  I don't know which extreme I find more irritating!

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Albino said:

ROFL!!  I remember that white paste!  

It is nice to have a separate place for sewing, etc just so you don't have to pack everything up.  I would not want that room to be the first one you see as you enter the house, though.  You need doors to close it off!

That couple annoyed me with their bickering about craft room vs. robot room.  Agree that with so many bedrooms, there was plenty of room for both.

• Love 4
(edited)

Both of the Craftsman-style were new

Thanks, I thought so, but I was watching on a small TV and doing something else at the same time, so I wasn't sure.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

My first thought was the dome looked like an acorn!

What did those young people do other than craft or build little robots to afford a 900K budget?

• Love 3

What did those young people do other than craft or build little robots to afford a 900K budget?

I can't remember, and the HGTV summary only mentions his occupation: software engineer.

(edited)

All these industrious house hunters make me tired.  Craft rooms, robot building, beer brewing, boating, hiking, biking, entertaining...

Where is the wife who says, "You know, I'm an introvert and I like to watch tv, read, and surf the internet.  I need a room away from everybody.  With a door.  That I can close.  And a comfy sofa and great reading lamp." 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 11

"You know, I'm an introvert and I like to watch tv, read, and surf the internet.  I need a room away from everybody.  With a door.  That I can close.  And a comfy sofa and great reading lamp." 

Heck, you don't have to be an introvert to want to hole up.  When I was working 10 - 12 hour days all I wanted to do was get home and crash.  And being with droves of people every day made me a very unlikely candidate to do much entertaining, either.  Just wanted peace and quiet.  

But I guess that wouldn't sell the increasingly ubiquitous open-concept houses meant for constant contact with every single member of the family plus hosting huge events on a regular basis.  Gotta push to sell McMansions these days. They aren't building anything else except the tiny monstrosities.

• Love 9
(edited)
7 hours ago, izabella said:

All these industrious house hunters make me tired.  Craft rooms, robot building, beer brewing, boating, hiking, biking, entertaining...

Where is the wife who says, "You know, I'm an introvert and I like to watch tv, read, and surf the internet.  I need a room away from everybody.  With a door.  That I can close.  And a comfy sofa and great reading lamp." 

That's exactly what I think when one of the home buyers says, "Ewww, we  have no use for a formal living room." How about putting in a few bookshelves and a lamp and turning it into a library? Then again, they're using all of their bookshelves for decorative knick-knacks. And African artifacts. Not that I have anything against knick-knacks and artifacts--besides them being giant dust magnets. But displaying a book or two wouldn't hurt, would it???

While I did laugh at the wife's panic about getting her craft room, I am glad that she insisted on having a room of her own. How many times do we see husbands demand a man cave, while the wife emphasizes that she needs a nice kitchen and big closets. Really? Is that all we're good for--cooking and putting away our clothes and shoes? Those are our sources for relaxation? 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 7

Yeah, I know this show isn't real, but I can count on one hand the number of episodes I've seen where the house hunters mention a library, and maybe two hands where I've even seen books in the home. A library would be a given in any house I live in. Part of why I dislike the open floor plan is that I need walls against which to put my bookshelves (and I would adore built-ins). I'm a huge reader and most people I know at least read something (I'm in a book club, just traded books with my mother yesterday, etc.), but the vast majority of people don't read, which makes me sad. I used to work in book publishing and our CEO once said that half of college grads never read another book after graduating. I don't know where he got that tidbit, but I have no trouble believing it. 

• Love 11

You know, as much as I complain about many of these HHers, I've got no say on how what they should do with the rooms in their house.  If they don't want or need a library, then fine.  And I see nothing wrong or misogynistic (man, that word is used a lot lately!) with a woman just wanting a nice kitchen or roomy closets instead of a library.  Granted, I laughed at the craft room because I would never have one, but when all is said and done, if the couple is happy, then that's all that matters.  It's their house. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I know this show isn't real, but I can count on one hand the number of episodes I've seen where the house hunters mention a library, and maybe two hands where I've even seen books in the home. A library would be a given in any house I live in. Part of why I dislike the open floor plan is that I need walls against which to put my bookshelves (and I would adore built-ins). I'm a huge reader and most people I know at least read something (I'm in a book club, just traded books with my mother yesterday, etc.), but the vast majority of people don't read, which makes me sad. I used to work in book publishing and our CEO once said that half of college grads never read another book after graduating. I don't know where he got that tidbit, but I have no trouble believing it. 

When I was little, I always dreamed of a home with a nice library...yes, I was a huge nerd.  However, I have noticed that you rarely see a library these days, even in more expensive homes.

Is this because books, like CD's and VHS tapes, are now outdated?  Maybe, everyone now reads on a Kindle?

36 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Granted, I laughed at the craft room because I would never have one, but when all is said and done, if the couple is happy, then that's all that matters.  It's their house. 

Well now my gift wrapping room is going to seem silly...just kidding.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

You know, as much as I complain about many of these HHers, I've got no say on how what they should do with the rooms in their house.  If they don't want or need a library, then fine.  And I see nothing wrong or misogynistic (man, that word is used a lot lately!) with a woman just wanting a nice kitchen or roomy closets instead of a library.  Granted, I laughed at the craft room because I would never have one, but when all is said and done, if the couple is happy, then that's all that matters.  It's their house. 

I totally agree that homeowners can do whatever they want with their homes. But as a reader who would kill to have a library in my home, I think I'd start salivating if I heard a HHer talk about how much he or she loves to read and that one of the items on their wish list is a quiet, well-lit sanctuary where they can read without interruption. It would be a nice change from the ongoing discussions about big closets and nice kitchens--which I would also love to have, by the way. Or man caves/media rooms, which I think are great places to watch movies and sports. 

• Love 5

Exactly - I'm an avid cook and would LOVE a gourmet kitchen. I don't have that many clothes so I don't need a big closet ... but if I had one I'd probably fill it eventually. I also watch a lot of tv so I'd probably mention that when house-hunting. It's just odd to me that craft rooms have been mentioned more often than books on this show. 

• Love 4

What I notice is how often they pick out their craft room based on the room already being a, wait for it, craft room!  It's not like they can't stick a table and shelves or whatever into whichever room they decide to use but I can't count how many times I've heard someone declare "oh this IS my craft room".  I mean it's not like you need to see a bed in a bedroom to decide "hmm think maybe this could be the bedroom"!

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

People read, they just read on their phones or tablets.  I see people reading all the time on the subway, and 90% of them are reading on a wireless device. 

I don't get why it's so important to know how these folks have their money.  Maybe they worked for it, maybe they saved, maybe they have family money.  I don't understand why it's so important.  I don't even listen when they mention what they do for a living, it's not that important to me.

Edited by Neurochick
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

People read, they just read on their phones or tablets.  I see people reading all the time on the subway, and 90% of them are reading on a wireless device. 

I don't get why it's so important to know how these folks have their money.  Maybe they worked for it, maybe they saved, maybe they have family money.  I don't understand why it's so important.  I don't even listen when they mention what they do for a living, it's not that important to me.

Really? So you never wonder how a 20-something year-old newlywed couple can afford a $900,000 home? Or, in my case, what's wrong with my 40-something year old ass that I can't afford one?

For me, it's all voyeurism and living vicariously through the House Hunters. And poking fun at them a little. Isn't that what reality TV is all about?

• Love 17
45 minutes ago, topanga said:

Really? So you never wonder how a 20-something year-old newlywed couple can afford a $900,000 home? Or, in my case, what's wrong with my 40-something year old ass that I can't afford one?

For me, it's all voyeurism and living vicariously through the House Hunters. And poking fun at them a little. Isn't that what reality TV is all about?

I'm 52 and I always wonder how these 20, 30 & 40 year olds can afford $900,000 homes. I'm totall with you. That's why I watch HH & HHR. 

• Love 10

Yeah, I always watch the background info - what they do for a living, if they owned a home previously, etc. There was a Philly area couple with a baby who had pretty modest jobs but a big budget for the suburban home they were looking for and I'm sure it's because the wife's starter home was in South Philly, which is a rapidly gentrifying area. She likely made a great profit on her house (I remember she said it sold in two days or something) - and that's great! Good for her!

My favorite part of the show is seeing what different amounts will get you in different parts of the country - I'm always floored when people are looking in Buffalo with a $150K budget and they're being shown giant Victorian mansions. I also like when the homes are visually interesting. Brand new construction houses all tend to run together on me.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I love them too.  And most of the time the first thing they do is rip them out (usually to make more room for their TV and audio set-ups).  Not so much on HH, but on all the reno shows like Fixer Upper, Property Brothers, Flip Or Flop, etc.

When they do leave them, I've noticed that the chic new thing to do is place the books with the spine facing the inside.  I'm looking at you JoJo Gaines!  

• Love 2

On a message board I visit someone posted a picture of a second hand bookstore the other day where they had arranged at least one whole section by colour.  So all the books with blue covers on one shelf and so on.  What an utterly bizarre way to organize a collection!  The owners either figure there are people out there only buying books to match a colour scheme in their house or else, I guess, that people will browse more and maybe find some hidden gems.  Or the owners are nuts.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Homily said:

On a message board I visit someone posted a picture of a second hand bookstore the other day where they had arranged at least one whole section by colour.  So all the books with blue covers on one shelf and so on.  What an utterly bizarre way to organize a collection!  

It's really sad that books are now used primarily as props or design elements in a home.

• Love 9

I don't see Seattle couple staying together for a long time.  Too much bickering, and not in a really cute and loving way.

So ANNOYING with the fight over the craft room.  I wish the agent would have pointed out how ridiculous they both were.  Does HGTV not realize how over this stuff we are?  Just show us the homes, darn it!

• Love 4
On 7/19/2016 at 6:47 AM, Thumper said:

ROFL!!  I remember that white paste!  

It is nice to have a separate place for sewing, etc just so you don't have to pack everything up.  I would not want that room to be the first one you see as you enter the house, though.  You need doors to close it off!

That couple annoyed me with their bickering about craft room vs. robot room.  Agree that with so many bedrooms, there was plenty of room for both.

This ^  They had several bedrooms that are unused, as one doesn't constantly have guests over to stay, and they had no children yet.  I am all for a dedicated office, sewing room etc. but her whining made me nuts because each place had ample room for the bloody 'crafting'.  The dome house was on a gorgeous piece of property and was cool on the inside, but pretty damn ugly on the outside.  lol  Not my taste, I guess.  I did agree that the 'craftsmen' homes looked pretty generic, but were nice.

• Love 3